Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #101
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

to be a really hated band they need to be very successful for a long time. so much so their shtick makes people go from apathy to annoyance to anger. given that, i can see why U2 and Stones are so popular on this thread.

FWIW, i watched a Joy Division doc last night and the bass player said, "U2 is the band Joy Division should have been, they stole our baby." I can see that U2 is always trying to make the next "love will tear us apart"
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #102
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
a band can prove themselves to the fan base (like Dave Matthews did) instead of trying to sell themselves to record exec.

Uhm, Dave isn't popular (among it's fans) due to the internet...

They hit the scene in '96 (even earlier for some), not exactly a high-water mark of internet usage for music.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #103
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Oh, forgot to mention Coldplay as well.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #104
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Oh, forgot to mention Coldplay as well.

I'm pretty meh on their music, but I've decided the easiest gig in the music industry is to be their drummer.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #105
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh .. fuck Lil' Wayne. All he does is steal rhymes and sound retarded.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #106
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
Uhm, Dave isn't popular (among it's fans) due to the internet...

They hit the scene in '96 (even earlier for some), not exactly a high-water mark of internet usage for music.

I meant they did a lot of touring to build up their fanbase.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #107
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Oh ok, gotcha, I must've read that wrong
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #108
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I think that, even though Queen is one of the most celebrated bands, Brian May is perhaps the most underrated guitarists ever. He is amazing as a musician and as a song writer. No one gives him credit for his playing or his huge part in the band. His stamp is on everything, yet Freddie gets all of the credit.

Well, from what I've read and gathered about Brian is that he's pretty reserved. I know he and Freddie were close though. I was always fascinated that Brian built his own guitar. I think Queen for the most part let Freddie be their spokesman, but I don't think there was any dissention about it. Brian is a talented guitarist, but I would agree that Queen is noted because of how over the top Freddie was.

Side note: I never watched American Idol but I guess they did some Queen songs, and one of the singers wanted to change something and Brian basically told the guy that they were changing an effing thing...major respect to Brian.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #109
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh ok, gotcha, I must've read that wrong

I thought it but didn't clarify it, I think DMB had a large touring gathering which elevated them into the mainstream. However, I think it was a major run on bands like Hootie and Blowfish that led that charge (to a lesser extent Blues Traveler who had a few songs out before then but didn't grow until DMB and Hootie got bigger).
Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #110
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've decided the easiest gig in the music industry is to be their drummer.

You're joking right? Have you not seen the Viva La Vida Itune commercial? Do you know how freakin' hard it is to get stardust streams to come off the drumsticks??
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #111
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I made a certain joke about Dave Matthews Band on FOFC several years ago, and I was on the verge of getting exiled for it. I think some people still ignore me because of it. So, due to that, I'll say that I hate Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 10-30-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #112
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dave Matthews Band is terrible.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #113
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'm agree.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #114
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
You're joking right? Have you not seen the Viva La Vida Itune commercial? Do you know how freakin' hard it is to get stardust streams to come off the drumsticks??

LOL! that was effin awesome.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #115
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The Beatles.

Winner.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post

The Beatles, man, they are ground zero. Sure you can dislike the 60's pop of it, or the acid influence, the guys didn't play a mean guitar, and were a bit, well, British, but they influenced a bunch of things.

I wouldn't for one second pretend the Beatles didn't have a huge influence on music. I just find their music annoying.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #117
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'm pretty meh on their music, but I've decided the easiest gig in the music industry is to be their drummer.

wrong.

AC/DC's drummer has the easiest gig of all time.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #118
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I liked Dave Mathews Band until about ten years ago. I still like some of their songs from the mid-90s, the more recent stuff I've heard is pretty lousy.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #119
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

triple dola-

put me up there with the Phish/ Gratefull Dead bands of the world. I dont get the whole jam band thing.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #120
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
wrong.

AC/DC's drummer has the easiest gig of all time.

I don't think it's possible to be easier than

1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2

Old 10-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #121
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Let me guess --- "All the songs sound the same"

Ha.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #122
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Let me guess --- "All the songs sound the same"

Ha.

Yes. It all sounds like shit.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #123
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to be easier than

1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2

that's how he counts his money during a show.

'100000, 200000, another 10000, 20000'

those boys own the rights to their songs. They are filthy rich.

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 10-30-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #124
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, I'm going to make the Dave Matthews Band joke again. If I get blasted again, well, it won't be the first time.

I think Dave Matthews deserves a lot of credit for getting three black guys to play music like that.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 PM   #125
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
OK, I'm going to make the Dave Matthews Band joke again. If I get blasted again, well, it won't be the first time.

I think Dave Matthews deserves a lot of credit for getting three black guys to play music like that.

I think it's two now.

I fucking went there.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #126
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

daaaaamn ice cold
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #127
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
daaaaamn ice cold

I'm the Scott Stevens to your Colin White. We just work.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #128
MikeVic
Head Coach

did you just call pumpy colin white
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #129
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
did you just call pumpy colin white

Why wouldn't I call pumpy Colin White?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #130
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

totally killing myself imo
Old 10-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #131
MikeVic
Head Coach

bundle dick to the rescue.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #132
MJ4H
Coordinator

I seriously have no idea what just went on itt
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #133
MikeVic
Head Coach

Pumpy loves Colin White.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #134
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm not saying that music defines who someone is, but that the type of music they listen to and how they feel emotionally about listening to it says something about them even if its subtle.

If your tastes are all over the map, or you don't really particularly get into any specific music, that says something about you. You're just not musically inclined, for one thing.. I find that people who like similar types of music, generally are very similar in other ways. That doesn't mean they can't get along with other people, but generally, there seem to be subtle identifiers that come out more over time as you get to know someone. To me anyway, there is a hint about the unknown ideals a person might subscribe to in the music that they listen to and movies that they really like.

When someone likes similar music and movies to me, I think I make the connection subsconsciously that there has to be something in this persons mind that makes them like the same things I like.. So therefore I draw the conclusion in many cases that they must share something with me deeper than just the surface of what I know about them. I think it typically leads to closer friendships just for the fact that there are so many mutual interests for those who are similar to spend time enjoying together.

It doesn't mean you can't get along with the person, I have friends who love Nickelback. While I never stop giving them shit about it, they generally don't care what I say because we get along and theyre aware of the general perception among our circle of friends that the band sucks.. Its not a conclusive way to determine who is going to vibe with me and who isn't, but if I run into someone who is jamming out to the whole group (Nickleback, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, etc..) Typically they are the kind of people who I'm not going to get along with.

For me, I think there is greater meaning because I am involved with music, it plays a big role in my day to day life for that reason.. so being that I spend so much time taking it in, I am probably more inclined to be around people who feel the way i do.. My music definitely tells you something about me. YMMV, but in my experience there is just something there that goes beyond the surface of a person in the music they listen to and movies they like, the TV shows they watch, etc.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #135
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I don't get all the votes for Hanson and shit like that. Everyone knows everyone else hates them. Even if you didn't, you'd lie about it. Those don't need written. I mean that is like listing Vanilla Ice or Marky Mark.

I'll second a few I didn't add last night that have come up-

Coldplay
Stinkin Park
Limp Bizkit
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #136
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Oh .. fuck Lil' Wayne. All he does is steal rhymes and sound retarded.

I always wonder how he seems to get so much credit from both the rap publications and the ones that claim to promote "real hip-hop".. He seems to be no different from everyone else making their cash grab on money, drugs and hoes.. Yet he is called the greatest lyricist alive in some cases. I'm like..what? Greatest lyricist alive?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #137
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I'm not saying that music defines who someone is, but that the type of music they listen to and how they feel emotionally about listening to it says something about them even if its subtle.

If your tastes are all over the map, or you don't really particularly get into any specific music, that says something about you. You're just not musically inclined, for one thing.. I find that people who like similar types of music, generally are very similar in other ways. That doesn't mean they can't get along with other people, but generally, there seem to be subtle identifiers that come out more over time as you get to know someone. To me anyway, there is a hint about the unknown ideals a person might subscribe to in the music that they listen to and movies that they really like.

When someone likes similar music and movies to me, I think I make the connection subsconsciously that there has to be something in this persons mind that makes them like the same things I like.. So therefore I draw the conclusion in many cases that they must share something with me deeper than just the surface of what I know about them. I think it typically leads to closer friendships just for the fact that there are so many mutual interests for those who are similar to spend time enjoying together.

It doesn't mean you can't get along with the person, I have friends who love Nickelback. While I never stop giving them shit about it, they generally don't care what I say because we get along and theyre aware of the general perception among our circle of friends that the band sucks.. Its not a conclusive way to determine who is going to vibe with me and who isn't, but if I run into someone who is jamming out to the whole group (Nickleback, Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, etc..) Typically they are the kind of people who I'm not going to get along with.

For me, I think there is greater meaning because I am involved with music, it plays a big role in my day to day life for that reason.. so being that I spend so much time taking it in, I am probably more inclined to be around people who feel the way i do.. My music definitely tells you something about me. YMMV, but in my experience there is just something there that goes beyond the surface of a person in the music they listen to and movies they like, the TV shows they watch, etc.

After reading your post, I suspect it's likely more conscious than you think.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #138
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I don't get all the votes for Hanson and shit like that. Everyone knows everyone else hates them. Even if you didn't, you'd lie about it. Those don't need written. I mean that is like listing Vanilla Ice or Marky Mark.

I'll second a few I didn't add last night that have come up-

Coldplay
Stinkin Park
Limp Bizkit

I think Limp Bizkit falls in the Hanson/VI category too.

Here are a few more of mine

Hip Hop - The Game, nowhere near good enough to be as arrogant as he is and Tony Yayo, by far the weakest link of G - Unit.

Rock - Elvis Costello, he may be a genuis, but I never got the appeal...ever.

I will also jump on the Coldplay bandwagon.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #139
Buccaneer
Head Coach

People hating bands/movies that I love absolutely have no impact upon me. Why would I be so insecure as to wrap my identity around how others feel about my likes/dislikes? That's silly.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #140
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
If your tastes are all over the map, or you don't really particularly get into any specific music, that says something about you. You're just not musically inclined, for one thing.

I completely disagree with this. If your tastes are all over the map, it could be that you are sufficiently musically inclined to be able to find good music in many different formats.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #141
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I think that, even though Queen is one of the most celebrated bands, Brian May is perhaps the most underrated guitarists ever. He is amazing as a musician and as a song writer. No one gives him credit for his playing or his huge part in the band. His stamp is on everything, yet Freddie gets all of the credit.

I very much agree with you, my friend. Brian May is perhaps my most favorite guitarist ever. What amazes me still is that he has a doctorate in astrophysics and has (co-)authored some known papers in the field. I also heard that he is now a chancellor or something at a university in England.

As far as the discussion about hate/love, I cannot articulate my hatred for the Stones or Nrivana. It's just something that rubs me completely the wrong way.

I have over 2500 songs on my iPod. I fully expect that no one likes about half of my songs (because they're in genres that no one listens to or likes anymore) and that is perfectly fine with me. I am interested in what other people likes since that potentially allows me to expand my collection.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #142
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I completely disagree with this. If your tastes are all over the map, it could be that you are sufficiently musically inclined to be able to find good music in many different formats.

+1

I would even expand that if you do not have a diverse music taste, you are not that musically inclined. I'm not talking about only listening to classic rock but just listening to (and identifying with) the same 3-4 bands (and their soundalikes) over and over.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #143
st.cronin
General Manager

Sorry, Schmidty.

Somewhat off topic, I decided to listen to Daydream Nation on the way home last night, I think the first time I listened to it this century. It holds up well. That is some really, really good shit.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #144
Arctic Blast
n00b

Phish (and every other group of hack stoners who can't remember the damn song, so they label themselves a 'jam band').
Coldplay.
Dave Matthews Band.
Limp Bizkit.
Linkin Park.
Fall Out Boy/Panic at the Disco.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #145
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

The Doors would definitely top my "hate" list.

But seriously now, why do so many of you hate U2? I can understand not liking their music, but damn, there are almost torches and pitchforks rolling toward Bono in this thread. Is it just him being annoying, or what?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #146
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
The Doors would definitely top my "hate" list.

But seriously now, why do so many of you hate U2? I can understand not liking their music, but damn, there are almost torches and pitchforks rolling toward Bono in this thread. Is it just him being annoying, or what?

I won't speak for everyone else, but I hate the enviornment.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #147
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post

I'm almost the opposite, I can understand not liking Bono, but can't understand not liking at least a small portion of their music.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #148
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

Lol!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #149
MJ4H
Coordinator

I have no real problem with Bono. My only real experience with him is other people complaining about him. It's not like I've met him or really watched him or listened to him outside of the whole U2 playing music thing.

It's the @_#$()@ music that sends me into a murderous rage.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #150
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I find his voice uninteresting and depressing and his personality to be beyond self-absorbent. I think that's why so many people dislike him. I don't hate him, but I am definitely not a fan.