Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #101
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
There needs to be a fulltime camera on Wade Phillips during this last Tampa drive. The "clueless look" factor is about a 50 out of 10 on his face.

I told my wife the same thing. We agreed, based on seeing him for many years, that he goes through life with a constant befuddled look.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 10-26-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #102
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
That was pathetic by the Cards D there on third down. They should have had that one stopped.

Yep they had a lot of pathetic defensive lapses in the second half.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:11 PM   #103
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
One reason why you should always keep a timeout handy. But yeah, Atlanta just got royally fucked.

Unfortunately on the previous drive, they had to burn one because Norwood couldn't get up after a big hit. Damn you injury timeouts!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #104
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Grr, I was looking pretty good until the ref's blown call gave Westbrook another TD and now it's dicey for me this week in FF.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #105
Radii
Head Coach

Carolina is 6-2 going into a bye week. Perhaps I overreacted a little after their bad loss vs Minnesota early in the year in saying that they wouldn't make the playoffs and Fox would be fired.

After the bye, their next 2 games are Oakland and Detroit.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #106
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Carolina is 6-2 going into a bye week. Perhaps I overreacted a little after their bad loss vs Minnesota early in the year in saying that they wouldn't make the playoffs and Fox would be fired.

Yep perhaps a bit of a overreaction. But the season is only half-over. Looks like a nice stretch for them for sure though.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:20 PM   #107
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hey Bengals, here is an idea ... WIN!

I want Michael Oher on the Lions.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #108
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

What the heck are the Steelers wearing?
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #109
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
But the season is only half-over. Looks like a nice stretch for them for sure though.

Yeah anything could happen for sure, but its a favorable schedule to at least make the playoffs and hopefully challenge for the division.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #110
MikeVic
Head Coach

So I figured I'd hear multiple Bettis/Jacobs comparisons. But I haven't heard even one yet?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #111
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They need to change that freakin rule to be like college. Every play should be able to be reviewed, because that crap wasn't even close.

All they really need to do is get rid of the timeouts part of the rule. Only having 2 challenges per game (+1 if you have 2 successful challenges) is enough to keep teams from abusing it. There's really no reason at all to tie challenges to timeouts.

EDIT: Actually, I can see how a team could abuse it by calling a few challenges late in games in order to get a few free timeouts. Perhaps just extending it to 5 minutes in the 4th quarter to booth reviews would solve that.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-26-2008 at 03:59 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #112
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What the heck are the Steelers wearing?

Throw up, I mean throw back uniforms.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #113
Jas_lov
College Starter

That was a terrible leading with the helmet call on the Giants safety. It was obvious he led with the shoulder and couldn't stop. The Giants are going to regret it later if they can't punch it into the endzone when they have the chance.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #114
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
That was a terrible leading with the helmet call on the Giants safety. It was obvious he led with the shoulder and couldn't stop. The Giants are going to regret it later if they can't punch it into the endzone when they have the chance.

The call wasn't leading with the helmet, it was the receiver was defenseless.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #115
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So, you're playing at home after a bye, your opponent is missing its star TE and coming off of an ugly week of staph infection allegations, and they're not that good anyway. So what do you do? You're freakin' blowing the game?

Way to go, JAX. You're going to cost me both of my betting sheets this week, because you, the possessor of the easiest call of the week, couldn't nut up and get a win. You suck, Del Rio.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #116
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Anyone have Ty Law on speed dial?

The Steelers have about 5 DBs left. Total. And two of them are Ty Carter and Anthony Smith.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #117
sabotai
General Manager

I don't think the NYG-PIT game is ever going to end. 3 hours into the game and there's still most of the 4th quarter to play.

Last edited by sabotai : 10-26-2008 at 05:57 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #118
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Never mind, Ike Taylor is back in.

Maybe Brandon Jacobs should worry more about being able to run straight ahead 3 feet than talking shit to Ike Taylor while his laying on the ground injured.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ugly finish.

Time to find a long snapper.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Anyone have Ty Law on speed dial?

The Steelers have about 5 DBs left. Total. And two of them are Ty Carter and Anthony Smith.

Lord Tyrone is just horrible. I think Ward could play Safety better than that putz.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #121
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so I just got back from the bar and watching the Giants game. The officiating was some of the worst I have ever seen. How many times can a Steelers DB get a handfull of Giants jersey in the endzone and not get called?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #122
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I hate to say I told you...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #123
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I hate to say I told you...

I don't mind being wrong.

I have become pretty anti-John Fox the last few seasons and am ready to see a change in the coaching philosophy at Carolina, so I'm very quick to turn against him when Carolina can't run the ball, plays shitty defense, the play calling is bad, or the players are making mental mistakes, even in short stretches when overall things aren't that bad.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Unless they can get Cowher who do you want to replace him??
Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- Todays win solidifies the Giants as the best team in the league
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #126
digamma
Torchbearer

until Tennessee beats the Peytons tomorrow night.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #127
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
so I just got back from the bar and watching the Giants game. The officiating was some of the worst I have ever seen. How many times can a Steelers DB get a handfull of Giants jersey in the endzone and not get called?

The Steelers got away with a ton. But I could ask the same about the number of times, especially in the first half, that Woodley or Harrison had McKenzie or Diehl beaten outside only to be grabbed...and not called.

But I agree. They'll let all those go, then call the one on Kevin Boss where, even without the hold, Woodley is about 3 yards from (I think) Ward on that screen.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #128
miami_fan
Coordinator

So did Vernon Davis deserve to be embarrassed by Mike Singletary today? Or did Mike just kill his chances of being a head coach?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #129
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So did Vernon Davis deserve to be embarrassed by Mike Singletary today? Or did Mike just kill his chances of being a head coach?

Absolutely (i.e., deserved to be embarrased).

"I will not tolerate players that think it's about them when it's about the team," Singletary said. "We cannot make decisions that cost the team, and then come off the sideline and it's nonchalant. No. ... I'd rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else rather than play with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team."

Whatever that means but former players like the great Singletary shouldn't have to put up with immature jerks like Davis.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #130
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Absolutely (i.e., deserved to be embarrased).

"I will not tolerate players that think it's about them when it's about the team," Singletary said. "We cannot make decisions that cost the team, and then come off the sideline and it's nonchalant. No. ... I'd rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else rather than play with 11 when I know that right now that person is not sold out to be a part of this team."

Whatever that means but former players like the great Singletary shouldn't have to put up with immature jerks like Davis.

Absolutely. He needs to wake that team up, and Davis' actions made him prime example number one.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #131
Travis
Pro Rookie

I hope Singletary also points out Davis' hustle to the other guys during film review (on the Wilson interception return). He nearly got Wilson before the end zone and given the current state of Seattle's offense that could have kept 4 points off the board. No excuse for what Davis did later, but fair is fair.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #132
molson
General Manager

I was in a huge RB bind between injuries and bye weeks, and had to start Kevin Faulk and Tim Hightower. They both scored TDs and provided the winning margin. I'm not used to getting the breaks.

Last edited by molson : 10-26-2008 at 11:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #133
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Full article on Singletary

Even Davis had no issue with it.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #134
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
until Tennessee beats the Peytons tomorrow night.

Agreed the score maybe fiarly close but I see the Titans offense and defense as Colliingsworht said the otherday pounding the Colts all game ought to be fun.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #135
henry296
College Starter

Quote:

Just read in the Pittsburgh paper that there was one less ref, the back judge, for the game yesterday which would explain some of it.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 AM   #136
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Greg Warren's knee buckling as he was trying to walk off on his own power was friggin disgusting.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #137
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Greg Warren's knee buckling as he was trying to walk off on his own power was friggin disgusting.

Yeah...that replay, I kept thinking to myself 'Tim Krumrie, Super Bowl XXIII'. Warren's knee did the same unnatural things as Krumrie's ankle.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #138
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Singletary definitely has Denny Green type blowup potential. I can't wait.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #139
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looking more and more like the Chiefs are going to sign Culpepper to a multi-year contract. Probably a good thing for the Chiefs overall, but as a Tyler Thigpen fan its a bit of a bummer. He should get to start this week against Tampa at least.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #140
MJ4H
Coordinator

Thomkal I went kite-flying yesterday afternoon and missed it, how did Tyler Thigpen finish the game? I know he was doing really well through about 3 and a half quarters.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #141
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Thomkal I went kite-flying yesterday afternoon and missed it, how did Tyler Thigpen finish the game? I know he was doing really well through about 3 and a half quarters.

I didn't actually see the game, just kept track of it on NFL.com and a Chiefs blogsite, but sounds like they got conservative with his game plan and began missing more in the second half. He actually did quite well other than getting sacked twice (one called back due to penalty) in the final drive with a minute to play. Got them down to the 30 yard line or so then tried a pass on 4th and 1 that I believe was defended against. So not sure if it was a good pass or not. Can't believe they didn't try to run him over to the sideline with his speed he should have been able to get a yard before going out of bounds.

Tony Gonsalez said after the game that no one was expecting him to do that well. Apparantly Bowe said during the week that he thought Thigpen would do well and it did look like he was developing a chemistry with both Bowe and Gonsalez.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Just read in the Pittsburgh paper that there was one less ref, the back judge, for the game yesterday which would explain some of it.

Even so, they blew the challange on the 4th and 1 where they said Jacobs wasn't in, the overhead shot showed clearly he was in, and the personal foul on Phillips was an absolut crock that was on third down and it gave the Steelers a first down.

I'm not trying to sound bitter because the Giants won and at times Big Ben looked lost and I think for now we can put to bed who the best QB drafted that year was ( I honestly think that question can't be answered until their careers are over). But my god, there were some really bad calls/ missed calls.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-27-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #143
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I didn't actually see the game, just kept track of it on NFL.com and a Chiefs blogsite, but sounds like they got conservative with his game plan and began missing more in the second half. He actually did quite well other than getting sacked twice (one called back due to penalty) in the final drive with a minute to play. Got them down to the 30 yard line or so then tried a pass on 4th and 1 that I believe was defended against. So not sure if it was a good pass or not. Can't believe they didn't try to run him over to the sideline with his speed he should have been able to get a yard before going out of bounds.

Tony Gonsalez said after the game that no one was expecting him to do that well. Apparantly Bowe said during the week that he thought Thigpen would do well and it did look like he was developing a chemistry with both Bowe and Gonsalez.

Favre being Favre helped too. The human interception machine was fully functional.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

This probably got lost because of the more well-known Mike Singletary interview, but this sideline report is a must watch.

YouTube - Mike on the ghost of Bill Walsh
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #145
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This probably got lost because of the more well-known Mike Singletary interview, but this sideline report is a must watch.

YouTube - Mike on the ghost of Bill Walsh

For god's sake.....

I can maybe see an airhead sideline bimbo not knowing Bill Walsh was dead. But how does she make up something about him being Singletary's mentor?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #146
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
For god's sake.....

I can maybe see an airhead sideline bimbo not knowing Bill Walsh was dead. But how does she make up something about him being Singletary's mentor?
She probably read this article and completely misunderstood it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man, the Colts look terrible. Mannings problems aside, they just look brutal.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I loves me some Bironas. Outscores Reggie Wayne by 10 points tonight, and I win!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #149
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

They were off some but I think it was mostly the Titans just outplayed the Colts.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #150
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
it was mostly the Titans just outplayed the Colts.

I agree

Quote:

I agree again.

At this point something just isn't working. People around here are talking about Bob Sanders coming back and saving the defense, but as far as I can tell he was apart of the Bears disaster to start the season.

It is just hard to put a finger on it. Injuries aside, they are managing to be outplayed EVERY week. Hard to imagine this team turning it around at this point. I really think there is some kind of Manning injury that isn't being released. At this point it is going beyond O-Line problems and a lack of practice. We are 7 games into the season and Manning had plenty of time to throw tonight. Something just isn't right. Barring a turn around out of nowhere at this point I expect this could be an interesting off season here in Indy.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote