Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will be the 1st overall pick in the next NFL draft?
Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech 14 13.08%
Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois 0 0%
Cullen Harper, QB, Clemson 0 0%
Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State 0 0%
Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech 3 2.80%
James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State 2 1.87%
Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC 3 2.80%
Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati 0 0%
Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia 0 0%
William Moore, FS, Missouri 0 0%
Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia 2 1.87%
Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi 14 13.08%
Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas 3 2.80%
Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia 0 0%
Andre Smith, OT, Alabama 8 7.48%
Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia 35 32.71%
Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan 1 0.93%
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida 9 8.41%
Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State 2 1.87%
none of the above ... some other trout 11 10.28%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #101
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

YouTube - knowshon moreno
Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #102
st.cronin
General Manager

Moreno is awesome. He's a little bit smaller than McFadden and McPherson, the last two elite RBs, but I think he's going to be great in the NFL. He has put up fantastic numbers in the SEC playing behind a bad offensive line.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #103
st.cronin
General Manager

I think I have the draft order correct, and I am predicting Carolina over Tennessee in the Super Bowl. Here is my updated mock draft:

1. Detroit (0-16) - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia - I've changed my mind on him, and I now think he is a very good prospect. He did not play well as a freshman, but he improved quite a bit in his college career. Very similar to JaMarcus Russell, but is probably a better prospect.
2. St. Louis (2-14) - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma - If he gets the idea he could be drafted this high, he will surely declare for the draft. St. Louis has other holes, but I don't think they'll pass up a top QB prospect.
3. Kansas City (2-14) - Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas - I go back and forth on Orakpo. He is tremendous, but I am not sure how well he projects to the NFL.
4. Seattle (4-12) - Andre Smith, OT, Alabama
5. Cleveland (4-12) - Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - Curry is getting a lot of love from scouts these days (Kiper has him #1 on his big board, for example). We'll see if that holds up throughout the combine, etc.
6. Cincinnati (4-11-1) - Beanie Wells, RB, Ohio State - I've swapped Wells and Moreno on my personal big board, thinking that Wells superior size and speed trumps Moreno's production and durability. Its a close call, though.
7. Oakland (5-11) - Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia - Monroe is also rising in my estimation.
8. Jacksonville (5-11) - Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
9. Green Bay (6-10) - Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
10. San Francisco (7-9) - Taylor Mays, S, USC
11. Buffalo (7-9) - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
12. Denver (8-8) - James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State
13. New Orleans (8-8) - Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi - Saints have other needs but would be delighted with a top LT prospect.
14. Washington (8-8) - SenDerrick Marks, DT, Auburn
15. Houston (8-8) - William Moore, SS, Missouri
16. NY Jets (9-7) - Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia
17. Chicago (9-7) - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland
18. Tampa Bay (9-7) - B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
19. Detroit [from Dallas (9-7)] - Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
20. New England (11-5) - Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
21. San Diego (8-8) - Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
22. Philadelphia (9-6-1) - Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
23. Arizona (9-7) - Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi
24. Minnesota (10-6) - Max Unger, C, Oregon
25. Atlanta (11-5) - Peria Jerry, DT, Mississippi
26. Miami (11-5) - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
27. Baltimore (11-5) - Alphonso Smith, CB, Wake Forest
28. NY Giants (12-4) - Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
29. Pittsburgh (12-4) - Alex Mack, C, California
30. Indianapolis (12-4) - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
31. Tennessee (13-3) - Fili Moala, DT, USC
32. Philadelphia [from Carolina (12-4)] - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

knives out

Last edited by st.cronin : 12-28-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #104
Travis
Pro Rookie

I really hope you're wrong (re: Seattle). If they don't go WR (Crabtree) with their pick I'm hoping they do a minor trade down or just stay put and take a safety (likely Mays). They do need at least one more lineman, likely a center but they should be pretty set at tackle (supposed plan is for Locklear to slide to LT when Jones retires and they've got a few pretty good looking potential replacements for RT). A lot of that will depend on whether Solari returns (I hope so) and his evaluations of the current crop, but wow do the Hawks ever needs a receiver with truly elite potential and an upgrade to Brian Russell in the secondary.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #105
st.cronin
General Manager

They may go with Crabtree if he's available. My thinking is that Smith is an A+ prospect at OT, and Crabtree is an A prospet at WR, and that OT is a bigger impact position than WR, trumping the need element.

knives out
Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #106
sooner333
College Starter

How come you don't have the Lions taking Crabtree?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #107
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I like this mock draft much more than your previous ones for the Eagles' pick. I don't see them going DT but OT is a definite need.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #108
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I really don't get the love affair people have with Stafford. His numbers are pedestrian and he hasn't blazed a trail though big games. In fact, Georgia lost most of their big games. Granted it's a weak senior QB class but there's no reason to spend a No. 1 draft pick on a second tier prospect.

That said, I really hope Stafford and Bradford both come out and the Lions take Stafford. I don't think the Rams will make QB a priority this year, which would leave Bradford available at No. 3.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 12-29-2008 at 04:28 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #109
Schmidty
Coordinator

If the Lions take a QB, especially Stafford, with the 1st pick - I'll vomit.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #110
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I really don't get the love affair people have with Stafford. His numbers are pedestrian and he hasn't blazed a trail though big games. In fact, George lost most of their big games. Granted it's a weak senior QB class but there's no reason to spend a No. 1 draft pick on a second tier prospect.

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
If the Lions take a QB, especially Stafford, with the 1st pick - I'll vomit.

And pretty much this. In a deep draft, there is no way Stafford is the number one overall. Outside of OL, the only positions the Lions should be drafting for at least the first 3 rounds is defense. When you give up 50+ points more than anybody else and you have one of the top WRs for TDs, a QB so isn't your top need.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #111
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Watch what the Bengals do with Benson. If they sign him I'd be very surprised if they took a RB. They need OL, but Crabtree would be hard for Brown to resist. Honestly I don't think there are any top players at need positions for the Bengals and I'd rather they trade down if possible. They could drop ten picks and end up with a starting ILB, C, and G in the first two rounds.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #112
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I really don't get the love affair people have with Stafford. His numbers are pedestrian and he hasn't blazed a trail though big games. In fact, George lost most of their big games. Granted it's a weak senior QB class but there's no reason to spend a No. 1 draft pick on a second tier prospect.

That said, I really hope Stafford and Bradford both come out and the Lions take Stafford. I don't think the Rams will make QB a priority this year, which would leave Bradford available at No. 3.

I was under the impression that Tyler Thigpen was the future in Kansas City and they could use that 3rd overall pick a lot smarter.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Despite the Plaxico nonsense I just dont see the Giants taking a WR in the first round. They have taken Manningham and Smith early the last 2 years and Tyree was on IR all season and will be back.

As much as I would love seeing them take Britt as a huge RU fan, I see them taking an O-lineman. They are gonna have to beef up there because without knowing the contract situations, I cant see them keeping all those guys together.

Ward will also likely be gone as a free agent, so I can see them going RB if the right one is available.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

Seems like the Lions would get the most value out of taking a QB #1 and grabbing (at least) one of the top remaining OLs with either that second 1st or the top pick of the 2nd.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
I was under the impression that Tyler Thigpen was the future in Kansas City and they could use that 3rd overall pick a lot smarter.

Uh, no. Thigpen has done well early in the game, but has choked time and time again as the game progresses into the 4th quarter. They provided a pretty telling statistic yesterday in the telecast that demonstrated it. In the first quarter, Thigpen has a rating of roughly 107. Each quarter, his rating drops. In the 4th quarter, his rating was 55. As a fan who's found enough time to watch every Chiefs game this year, I can verify that the stat is extremely accurate. He's a good change of pace and a backup, but he's not the answer if we want to make the playoffs.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #116
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
1. Detroit (0-16) - Matt Stafford, QB, Georgia - I've changed my mind on him, and I now think he is a very good prospect. He did not play well as a freshman, but he improved quite a bit in his college career. Very similar to JaMarcus Russell, but is probably a better prospect.

I don't know much about Mr. Stafford, but I've never been a fan of JaMarcus Russell. In FOF terms, he's a 12/90 guy that really needs a mentor and good organizational support. Things he doesn't have in Oakland.

Anyway, the Lions really have more pressing needs than QB, as mentioned here. They really should trade down.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #117
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Even with an aging Harris and Woodson, I don't see the Packers taking a CB there... they have line issues both offensive and defensive so my $ would be on a OT at that spot, followed by a DE. Although, I think Jenkins will go a few spots higher anyways. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Packers hire a new defensive coordinator and go to a 3-4 and pick Maualuga.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #118
Thomkal
Head Coach

Now that the Cards have dropped to 23, I think they will take the best player available at their need positions-RB, DE, or LB. So Hardy or another qualty pass rusher DE wouldn't surprise me. But not withstanding Edge's 100 yard game yesterday, they badly need a top RB.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 AM   #119
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Uh, no. Thigpen has done well early in the game, but has choked time and time again as the game progresses into the 4th quarter. They provided a pretty telling statistic yesterday in the telecast that demonstrated it. In the first quarter, Thigpen has a rating of roughly 107. Each quarter, his rating drops. In the 4th quarter, his rating was 55. As a fan who's found enough time to watch every Chiefs game this year, I can verify that the stat is extremely accurate. He's a good change of pace and a backup, but he's not the answer if we want to make the playoffs.

I think with Thigpen it depends on if Herm Edwards stays or goes. Edwards seems to like him and the team rallied around him, especially their best player Tony Gonzales. But that said, yesterday's game with the Bengals probably put the last nail in the coffin for him starting with any other coach. But given the huge amount of QB injuries he likely will get the chance to play some no matter what next season. It was just a big thrill to get to see him perform on the big stage after watching him here at Coastal Carolina. So depending on the coach, if Bradford or Stafford is there, I think they go QB. Otherwise something on the defensive side.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #120
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I think with Thigpen it depends on if Herm Edwards stays or goes. Edwards seems to like him and the team rallied around him, especially their best player Tony Gonzales. But that said, yesterday's game with the Bengals probably put the last nail in the coffin for him starting with any other coach. But given the huge amount of QB injuries he likely will get the chance to play some no matter what next season. It was just a big thrill to get to see him perform on the big stage after watching him here at Coastal Carolina. So depending on the coach, if Bradford or Stafford is there, I think they go QB. Otherwise something on the defensive side.

General opinion around KC amongst fans and media at this point is that Edwards is gone. I can't envision a GM candidate that would keep him.

I see the Chiefs keeping Thigpen as a backup and using free agency for a QB (over 20M already available in cap room with 30M being likely after releases and LJ trade). Defense is the likely pick including a possible trade-down.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #121
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
General opinion around KC amongst fans and media at this point is that Edwards is gone. I can't envision a GM candidate that would keep him.

I see the Chiefs keeping Thigpen as a backup and using free agency for a QB (over 20M already available in cap room with 30M being likely after releases and LJ trade). Defense is the likely pick including a possible trade-down.

I can't imagine a GM that would keep him either, but depending on who you listen to/read about, Clark Hunt likes Edwards, and wants to give him another year to rebuild the team. And that keeping him may be a prerequisite for any GM to come in. I don't see him staying either, but there is the possibility that he does.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #122
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think the Chiefs are in a similar situation to the Falcons last year actually. New coach likely coming in, will want to run his system, and very little inherant talent at the QB position (sorry Tyler). You saw what happened in Atlanta and in Baltimore also. I know nothing about Bradford off the field, but if he's the same type of personality and leadership that Ryan and Flacco have shown, plus coming from a midwestern school, then it would not surprise me in the least if the Chiefs take him if he comes out for the draft and is still there at their spot.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #123
DeToxRox
Head Coach

May as well get your Matt Stafford Lions jerseys now with Mayhew being named GM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #124
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Pretty sure I've said this before.

I'm terrified of the Bears taking an offensive player with their 1st rounder. Especially since they're likely better served nabbing a top-notch DB this year (if available). They simply don't know how to draft offensive players.

Draft defense and solve your offensive issues with free agency.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #125
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Even if you want a quarterback then why not try to get Matt Cassel and perhaps even Derek Anderson instead of going for a rookie. The chance of picking a Alex Smith is way bigger then picking another Matt Ryan.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #126
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Even if you want a quarterback then why not try to get Matt Cassel and perhaps even Derek Anderson instead of going for a rookie. The chance of picking a Alex Smith is way bigger then picking another Matt Ryan.

I don't really want a QB but Cassel will cost a lot still, and truthfully, I don't think he'll be that special.

Anderson is just meh.

I'd rather take Andre Smith and Brandon Spikes and then in the 3rd take Chase Daniels.

Who knows though.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #127
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I don't really want a QB but Cassel will cost a lot still, and truthfully, I don't think he'll be that special.

Anderson is just meh.

I'd rather take Andre Smith and Brandon Spikes and then in the 3rd take Chase Daniels.

Who knows though.

This year's draft has a lot of QB options in the 2nd and 3rd round. You can still get a good QB prospect outside of the first round.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #128
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Wells superior size and speed trumps Moreno's production

Wherever you got the idea that Wells was faster than Moreno, you can dispose of it now.

He may have looked faster vs Big-10 defenses than Moreno did against SEC defenses, but considering SEC players are 0.2 seconds faster per man in the 40, you can rest assured - Moreno is faster. He'll be fastest at the combine.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #129
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Watch what the Bengals do with Benson. If they sign him I'd be very surprised if they took a RB. They need OL, but Crabtree would be hard for Brown to resist. Honestly I don't think there are any top players at need positions for the Bengals and I'd rather they trade down if possible. They could drop ten picks and end up with a starting ILB, C, and G in the first two rounds.

If Mike brown actually did this I'd cream my freaking shorts. This is precisely what they need to do. more picks for more players to lift the overall talent pool.

Honestly I really loved how the O-line looked against KC, granted it was the chiefs and that D wouldn't scare a div 2 team, but they executed well and they looked sharp out there. That kid we had at right tackle is a fucking monster, he's huge.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #130
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm thinking Crabtree at #8 is a steal.

Also, how old is Leon Washington? With him there, I don't really see the Jets taking another RB in the 1st round.

Miami drafting an ILB? Nope. Not with Crowder and Ayodele there. Now, OLB I could see. Porter's getting up there in years. I also think the Dolphins secondary could use an upgrade. OL wouldn't shock me either, especially at the G spots. Nor would a NT or more CB help.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #131
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I'm thinking Crabtree at #8 is a steal.

Also, how old is Leon Washington? With him there, I don't really see the Jets taking another RB in the 1st round.

Miami drafting an ILB? Nope. Not with Crowder and Ayodele there. Now, OLB I could see. Porter's getting up there in years. I also think the Dolphins secondary could use an upgrade. OL wouldn't shock me either, especially at the G spots. Nor would a NT or more CB help.

Brandon Spikes will not be an ILB in the NFL. He will be a disgusting SLB who can stop the run and get to the QB.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #132
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Alabama star lineman Andre Smith suspended for Sugar Bowl - Breaking News from The Birmingham News - al.com

Andre Smith suspended for the Sugar Bowl for signing with an agent
Old 12-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #133
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I really hope you're wrong (re: Seattle). If they don't go WR (Crabtree) with their pick I'm hoping they do a minor trade down or just stay put and take a safety (likely Mays). They do need at least one more lineman, likely a center but they should be pretty set at tackle (supposed plan is for Locklear to slide to LT when Jones retires and they've got a few pretty good looking potential replacements for RT). A lot of that will depend on whether Solari returns (I hope so) and his evaluations of the current crop, but wow do the Hawks ever needs a receiver with truly elite potential and an upgrade to Brian Russell in the secondary.

Our Seahawks do need some help at WR -- especially a little size. I couldn't believe that I was sitting there in front of the TV yesterday thinking that they should not have let Jerheme Urban go. Jerheme freakin' Urban! That is how woeful the Seahawks are at WR.

That said, I disagree strongly with your assessment of the OL. Locklear hasn't even shown that he can play RT at this level, much less the more demanding LT position. The young guys on the line, Rob Sims and Chris Spencer, haven't yet shown that they can compete on this level either. Pork Chop Womack isn't the answer to any question -- unless that question happens to be "who has the best nickname on the team?"

Durability has been a big problem with the post-Hutchinson OL. All of the guys mentioned here have missed several games each season they have been on the team.

I won't cry if they go in either direction. They are certainly the most pressing needs on the team, and if they can get a productive player at either position, I'll be happy.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #134
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Our Seahawks do need some help at WR -- especially a little size. I couldn't believe that I was sitting there in front of the TV yesterday thinking that they should not have let Jerheme Urban go. Jerheme freakin' Urban! That is how woeful the Seahawks are at WR.

That said, I disagree strongly with your assessment of the OL. Locklear hasn't even shown that he can play RT at this level, much less the more demanding LT position. The young guys on the line, Rob Sims and Chris Spencer, haven't yet shown that they can compete on this level either. Pork Chop Womack isn't the answer to any question -- unless that question happens to be "who has the best nickname on the team?"

Durability has been a big problem with the post-Hutchinson OL. All of the guys mentioned here have missed several games each season they have been on the team.

I won't cry if they go in either direction. They are certainly the most pressing needs on the team, and if they can get a productive player at either position, I'll be happy.

For my money, I'm hoping to see a line of Jones-Wahle-C-G-Locklear next year. Locklear is definitely a stronger pass protector than run blocker and has looked good when he's had to fill in for Walt. Vallos has shown that he could back up at center and guard. The answer for Spencer may be moving him to guard as it requires less of the mental side than center (and takes away his primary issue of line calls. That'd mean that Sims/Spencer/Willis(who has nice potential, especially run blocking)/Wrotto could compete for the RG spot and the only spot you're shopping for a starter at is center.

I don't actually mind the WR core they have coming back next year except for exactly what you said, size. Figuring that one of Engram/Robinson come back along with Branch/Burleson and the kids, they have nice depth. They do need (imho) to find both a WR and CB that have size. The health of Branch/Burleson means you need to find a guy capable of starting though. *If* everybody could stay healthy (and if Burleson is back to anything close to 100%), that could be a pretty scary offense with how well Carlson progressed this season.

The injuries to the line, if anything, should have shown Solari what he has in that group, so if they do make whole sale changes, at least they're informed changes and should make the line that much better, but I'm hoping they saw something they can use the offseason to mold at least one solid (or better) starter out of a guy who didn't open this season on the starting line. There's a lot of physical potential there, hopefully some time with a line coach as good as Solari is made out to be does the trick.

I am very interested to see what direction Mora goes with the offense and who will be under center starting next season. I hope it's Hasselbeck with Wallace backing him up at least for next season, but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if it looks different from that.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #135
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Uh, no. Thigpen has done well early in the game, but has choked time and time again as the game progresses into the 4th quarter. They provided a pretty telling statistic yesterday in the telecast that demonstrated it. In the first quarter, Thigpen has a rating of roughly 107. Each quarter, his rating drops. In the 4th quarter, his rating was 55.
I thought his 4th quarter number was even worse. Change of pace is probably the best description -- once team's realize his patterns and rhythm, they appear to be able to contain him nicely. I think we need to keep Thigpen as a backup because you can never have too many QBs, but anyone believing Thigpen is a playoff-caliber QB is deluding themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I can't imagine a GM that would keep him either, but depending on who you listen to/read about, Clark Hunt likes Edwards, and wants to give him another year to rebuild the team. And that keeping him may be a prerequisite for any GM to come in. I don't see him staying either, but there is the possibility that he does.
That's essentially my read too -- I think Herm stays until a new GM is hired and the new GM will have to convince Clark that Herm must go -- or maybe Pioli will only come to KC if Herm goes first.

Even if Herm stays, there is nothing to suggest that Thigpen is his guy. He did everything he could to avoid playing Thigpen in the first place. For a guy who loves "youth," Herm tried to cart Huard out there as long as he could before the body gave up.
Quote:
I don't think Cassel will be available -- given the question marks around Brady's recovery, I think the Pats will franchise him to make sure he doesn't go anywhere. Derek Anderson will be cheap but I think he may be another Thigpen -- a nice spare tire to have around.

Yes, drafting a QB high is very risky. That's why the only QB I'd be willing to spend a top half of the first pick on would be Bradford if he comes out, and even then I'm worried because he's just a sophomore. If Stafford were a 2nd round pick, I'd take him.

The other glaring weakness for the Chiefs is on the D-line. Glenn Dorsey is heading toward bustville and we managed to set a record for fewest sacks in a season. this team needs a franchise DE like ... Jared Allen, which brings us back to why Carl is gone.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #136
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
This year's draft has a lot of QB options in the 2nd and 3rd round. You can still get a good QB prospect outside of the first round.

Really, like who? I think there are basically two good qb prospects in this draft, and that's if Bradford leaves school. Sanchez is about like Booty, and probably won't declare anyway. Tebow may declare, and I think he's going to be good, but he does have major flaws. Who else is there? Josh Freeman? Mike Teel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Wherever you got the idea that Wells was faster than Moreno, you can dispose of it now.

He may have looked faster vs Big-10 defenses than Moreno did against SEC defenses, but considering SEC players are 0.2 seconds faster per man in the 40, you can rest assured - Moreno is faster. He'll be fastest at the combine.

Really what I meant was size/speed combo. Wells is more of a prototype NFL back, Moreno is pretty small by NFL standards. Also, Moreno really isn't that fast - speed is not his strength, its his running instincts.

Quote:
Brandon Spikes will not be an ILB in the NFL. He will be a disgusting SLB who can stop the run and get to the QB.

This. Spikes is like Curry or Maualuga, they could probably play any LB spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post

This is my analysis, as well. O-line and WR are the Seahawks most pressing needs, but I think in today's NFL O-line gets a little higher priority than WR.

knives out
Old 12-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #137
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Really, like who? I think there are basically two good qb prospects in this draft, and that's if Bradford leaves school. Sanchez is about like Booty, and probably won't declare anyway. Tebow may declare, and I think he's going to be good, but he does have major flaws. Who else is there? Josh Freeman? Mike Teel?
There are zero senior first round-caliber QBs this year. The only chance of a QB being drafted are if underclassmen come out, and even then I think the likes of Sachez are second-round quality at best.

I think this draft is loaded with fifth round QBs but that's about it.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #138
bignej
High School JV

Quote:

Anderson is just meh.

Who knows though.

As a browns fan, I dont think Anderson is that great. However, I would think that his deepball style would be a perfect fit for Calvin Johnson.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #139
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

In that case, I'll be happy if the 'Phins draft him.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:28 PM   #140
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is my analysis, as well. O-line and WR are the Seahawks most pressing needs, but I think in today's NFL O-line gets a little higher priority than WR.

Out of curiosity, would you rank the o-line as a more pressing need than safety? I fully agree that the Seahawks need to address the line (personally I think they should look to upgrade the center position, if that happens, assuming Jones and Wahle are both good to go next season I believe the right side of the line is already taken care of, just a question of which two existing roster players deserve the spots) but even more importantly, they need to upgrade from Brian Russell. I'm assuming that Grant would move to the FS role full time and that they'd be looking for a SS but either way I really hope Russell is not a starter for the team next year. If they address this through the draft it's the type of need that I hope only a truly elite level WR prospect would be taken instead of a starter level safety.

I know the line is important, big Walt is still my favorite player in the league, I guess I just don't see the line as a whole being in that much trouble if they're able to add the right piece and let the rest fall into place. That said, I'd imagine that to get a starting calibre center they'd have to look to free agency over the draft if they want him to make calls at the line.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 PM   #141
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Out of curiosity, would you rank the o-line as a more pressing need than safety? I fully agree that the Seahawks need to address the line (personally I think they should look to upgrade the center position, if that happens, assuming Jones and Wahle are both good to go next season I believe the right side of the line is already taken care of, just a question of which two existing roster players deserve the spots) but even more importantly, they need to upgrade from Brian Russell. I'm assuming that Grant would move to the FS role full time and that they'd be looking for a SS but either way I really hope Russell is not a starter for the team next year. If they address this through the draft it's the type of need that I hope only a truly elite level WR prospect would be taken instead of a starter level safety.

I know the line is important, big Walt is still my favorite player in the league, I guess I just don't see the line as a whole being in that much trouble if they're able to add the right piece and let the rest fall into place. That said, I'd imagine that to get a starting calibre center they'd have to look to free agency over the draft if they want him to make calls at the line.

Honestly, no Saftey is worthy of #4.

I fully expect Taylor Mays to be like Urlacher and play LB after being a S in college. Carrel said he thinks Mays can get up to 260 and be effective, which is absurd.

The problem with Mays, imo, is he isn't much better then Roy Williams out of college. He is surrounded by amazing talent so he can go out and make a big hit, or cheat some, and not worry. That'll change in the NFL though.

I think Mays will get drafted somewhere to be an LB because he'll be an okay safety at best.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 PM   #142
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

The best USC player in the drft is Brian Cushing. He can play all 3 LB spots, and play them well.

Maulauga was often out of position but like Mays, was able to play to the ball and not with instincts because his aren't amazing.

I think Maulauga needs to go to SD or another 3-4 team where he can be a SLB backer. He is a good run stopper and athletic enough to play the run. Already has the size and speed, but his instincts are not up to snuff to a MLB.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 AM   #143
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:

I would amend this to say that rarely is a safety worth the #4 pick. It is not considered a position at which talent is hard to find.

Kenny Easley was the #4 pick and was the greatest Seahawk ever. Sean Taylor was pick #5 and was also probably worth that slot. Both were exceptional talents coming out of college.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #144
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I fully expect Taylor Mays to be like Urlacher and play LB after being a S in college. Carrel said he thinks Mays can get up to 260 and be effective, which is absurd.

The problem with Mays, imo, is he isn't much better then Roy Williams out of college. He is surrounded by amazing talent so he can go out and make a big hit, or cheat some, and not worry. That'll change in the NFL though.

I think Mays will get drafted somewhere to be an LB because he'll be an okay safety at best.

Okay, so saying that you wouldn't go safety in the first round (barring a potential trade down), would you then prefer to go line over WR? The reason I ask here is because if you believe Walter Jones is coming back for another season (I'd be amazed if he didn't), would you address C/RT with that pick or go WR? I'm still of the belief that they can fill out the RG/RT spots with current roster players but that an upgrade has to be found at C. I don't follow college football much, but I'm guessing that center is one of the harder line spots to immediately jump into (not that WR in the WCO is all that easy assuming Mora retains a similar offense to what they're running now) and I have absolutely no idea how highly rated any potential centers are coming into the draft. Having Spencer as a backup center/guard would be a pretty nice luxury though I'd imagine he'd have a decent shot at winning the RG spot as the line calls seemed to be one of his biggest weaknesses.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #145
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Okay, so saying that you wouldn't go safety in the first round (barring a potential trade down), would you then prefer to go line over WR? The reason I ask here is because if you believe Walter Jones is coming back for another season (I'd be amazed if he didn't), would you address C/RT with that pick or go WR? I'm still of the belief that they can fill out the RG/RT spots with current roster players but that an upgrade has to be found at C. I don't follow college football much, but I'm guessing that center is one of the harder line spots to immediately jump into (not that WR in the WCO is all that easy assuming Mora retains a similar offense to what they're running now) and I have absolutely no idea how highly rated any potential centers are coming into the draft. Having Spencer as a backup center/guard would be a pretty nice luxury though I'd imagine he'd have a decent shot at winning the RG spot as the line calls seemed to be one of his biggest weaknesses.

I look at it like this:

Smith is the best prospect in this draft.

At his best he is Orlando Pace.
At his worst he is Shawn Andrews.

Either way he's a Pro Bowler, just at OT or OG.

Walter Jones is amazing, but he has maybe two years left?

Get your franchise LT Incarnate back now. Let him play RT and learn from the best in the game, then move over when Jones retires and chances are you'll never lose that depth.

As a Lions fan, trust me on this.

Calvin is amazing but if we had a competent OL and QB, he'd be even more deadly.

Put the pieces in place on the line, then get a WR later. It'll be a better investment imo.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #146
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers WR Kenny Britt has declared for the draft.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #147
bhlloy
Coordinator

I must have missed this discussion about the SC guys in the draft. I'm very impressed with DeTox's analysis. I pretty much agree with everything he said.

Mays is not good enough in coverage and is not around the ball enough to excel at FS in the NFL. At best he's a SS in a scheme that has him playing close to the line. That being said, he's 230lb now and runs in the 4.3 range (some have had him as high as 4.27) Somebody is going to get stupid and pick him way too early based on his combine numbers. He can easily be at 250lb and still running in the 4.4's. He's going to make a good OLB in the NFL, IMO. At that position he's a project, but 3 years down the line he's going to be good. He hits like a train and isn't scared of contact or taking on blockers.

Cushing is the best pro prospect IMO, and I think he'll end up playing MLB and Rey will end up on the outside. It's tough because Maualuaga's best trait is his sideline to sideline pursuit and range, but he doesn't have the play recognition and the smarts to play MLB in the NFL, which is a very tough position to play. I guess those things are coachable, we'll see. Again, he'll get drafted on his sick combine numbers and the team will have to worry about where to put him later. Cushing on the other hand, very smart, reads the play well and fills the gap as well as many of the elite LB's I have seen in college. He's still 250 (can probably get up to 260-265), runs a 4.6 and is very physical, and is a better form tackler than Rey. I would take him in the top 10 - he'll come right in and start from day 1 which I'm not sure either of the others will do.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

Word is Bradford will declare as well.

Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #149
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Stafford and Moreno just declared.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 01-07-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #150
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I wouldn't put too much stock in this "source." Rumor is that Bradford also told a recruit (Reuben Randle) that he's coming back. I don't have any inside sources, but my gut tells me he's not leaving. We'll see, though. Hard to turn down that much money.