Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #101
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
It's a math textbook. How much could they really change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
clearly they have to update it to the new math

You joke but there really is such a thing. You should hear my wife's mom talk about it. She's a high level high school math teacher (think ap calc, dominating math team, etc) and really blasts some of the "new math" that's coming down the pipes. Basically, it's cutesy ways of teaching basic functions and algebra that leaves us badly behind the rest of the world.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #102
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
You joke but there really is such a thing. You should hear my wife's mom talk about it. She's a high level high school math teacher (think ap calc, dominating math team, etc) and really blasts some of the "new math" that's coming down the pipes. Basically, it's cutesy ways of teaching basic functions and algebra that leaves us badly behind the rest of the world.

SI

New Math. I went to back to school night Monday, and was able to thank my 3rd grade daughter's teacher "Thank you for going over the curriculum. I think it is fantastic that you are actually going to teach the children math."

Last year I pissed off my daughter's second grade teacher by telling her that she wasn't teaching math. Rather she was teaching them to count using this screwed up thing called touch math. I might have railed about it here... My blood pressure will raise if I actually try to explain it here. So this year I got to tell the teacher that I'm happy. She is actually having do daily timed addition and multiplication tests.

So I went to back to school night, and I didn't tell the teacher that she was lazy, nor did my wife have to usher me away from the teacher and the crowd of parents gathering around to watch the show.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:53 AM   #103
Raiders Army
Coordinator

"Joe and Steve were planning their wedding in California and lived in Minnesota. They were each bringing fifteen guests. Six of the total guests lived in California. How many people had to travel to California?"

What's the question kids are gonna ask here?

"Mom, why are Joe and Steve getting married when they're Asian and White?"
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #104
Autumn
Head Coach

I think someone hit it on the head a couple pages back, saying that it's more important to expose the majority to the minority than vice versa (not to mention that minorities will soon be the majority in the U.S.).

The number of multicultural mentions in things like textbooks and commercials are going to have to exceed their actual numbers if we are to do so. It often strikes me how nonrepresentative ads and commercials are which always feature a white, a black and an Asian. But it seems the reasonable solution to the issue of including more people.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #105
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
"Joe and Steve were planning their wedding in California and lived in Minnesota. They were each bringing fifteen guests. Six of the total guests lived in California. How many people had to travel to California?"

LOL
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #106
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Not sure about your kids, but mine would ask why two men are getting married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Not sure about your kids, but mine would ask why two men are getting married.

*woosh* That was the sound of a joke going over one's head

(a sound I know so very well)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-21-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #108
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:

And the no-brainer response is:

"Don't be silly kids, Joe is a tribesman from Africa...not white."

SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #109
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
*woosh* That was the sound of a joke going over one's head

(a sound I know so very well)

SI

Yeah I got the joke, I was just making a rather noticeable attempt at another joke. Sad, I know. Oh well, perhaps next time.....

Quote:
Old 08-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #110
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I can't believe no one brought this up. Have any of you fuckers been to college recently?

The crime here is that these pricks "update" textbooks every year just to make cosmetic changes, change numbers around, and update charts, which means you can't buy used copies of old editions for $20. Instead, you're stuck buying the brand new, $140 edition because the teacher is using the new one and making references to it.

Funny you mention this. I just spent almost $400 on textbooks for this fall semester (senior year). This is just another racket going on that nobody wants to admit to or talk about. They are definitely "pricks" in my opinion.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #111
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Damn....Takara and Sukey beat out Tyrone and Dashiqui again....just another case of them yellas holding us down....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #112
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Clever. That's exactly the same point I was making by mentioning I'm Asian. It's not at all that lots of people implied only racist white people would have a problem with these inclusions.

I kinda thought a couple of the early posters also really unfairly ripped panerd as well, without, IMO, anywhere near the evidence they thought they had. One of them even admitted later on he didn't have access to those sorts of numbers, and but that unfortunately didn't lead him to apologize to panerd at least by the point at which I am responding here.

And before everyone leaps on the popular "Chief must be racist" card, my best friend is Asian, I count many Asians and Latinos among my best friends, and I have grown up among them and other racial groups my whole life (being from California).

The only group to which I feel I need more exposure is African-American (and despite that, no problems there either).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #113
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm assuming you're talking about me and if so, I'd recommend post #28. I still find his general tone about Asians to be offensive, but if he wants to incorporate a more integrated multiculturalism I'm all for it.

Quote:
If that's what you're advocating, I missed it. I'd agree with you that adding real cultural references would be better. If that's your intention, I apologize.

The numbers issue doesn't really relate to the specific issue of Panerd's comments at all. It was a response to a theoretical posed by SI.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about me and if so, I'd recommend post #28. I still find his general tone about Asians to be offensive, but if he wants to incorporate a more integrated multiculturalism I'm all for it.

The numbers issue doesn't really relate to the specific issue of Panerd's comments at all. It was a response to a theoretical posed by SI.

Sorry, JPhillips, but I am not going to name names. I just felt some people were over the top, and perhaps, they should consider giving an unqualified apology. But that's up to them.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:01 AM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wait a second, the real question is why the fuck are kids going to school in mid august? That's like some communist bullshit. It's harvest season, dammit. Send them out to work on the farm for a couple more weeks.

Civilized kids should only be learning about Sukey and Takara after labor day.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #116
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Sorry, JPhillips, but I am not going to name names. I just felt some people were over the top, and perhaps, they should consider giving an unqualified apology. But that's up to them.

I don't think any apology is neccessary, though I appreciate your posts. I just don't understand how me complaining about the cosmetic and supericial changes being made to a textbook became me being a racist. It's not that I even care being labeled as such or feel the need to defend myself if I am, but when I made the original post it was the last thing I ever expected to happen.

(On the other hand I also felt like it might be a no reply thread, not a 115+ one!)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #117
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

What if Barbara and Susan were Asian Americans and Sukey and Tatanka were displaced WASPs in Japan? Could so happen.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #118
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
[...] when I made the original post it was the last thing I ever expected to happen.
Been on the internet long, buddy?
Old 08-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #119
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Been on the internet long, buddy?
+1

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #120
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
+1

You can stop sucking Pumpy's dick anytime, now, Junkie.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #121
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Actually, cuervo, this makes perfect sense to me from a multi-national perspective. We know there's a huge market for English language instruction around the world (especially in China right now). If I'm a publishing company, having one edition (i.e., one set of printing costs) that is broadly multi-cultural is much better than having a Chinese edition, an Argentinian edition, etc. You get to market it as English language math instruction with cultural hooks that kids in your country can latch onto.

I could very easily see a shift like this being much more about multi-national marketing than multi-culturism. And if that really is the philosophy behind it, that's actually a pretty clever move (i.e., minimal cost, more markets).

Not a bad angle. I wouldn't normally think about an international market for a math book written in English, but I can buy that. Of course at the same time there's probably a need for Spanish language math texts in the United States...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM   #122
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
You can stop sucking Pumpy's dick anytime, now, Junkie.

Ok Crim, it is your turn. And I was thinking of putting you on my buddy list the other day. I will rectify that by doing so, what a strange name for a girl.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #123
Crim
College Benchwarmer

You crack me up.

And, yes, by all means, let me have a go at it, I've been patient enough.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:07 AM   #124
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
You crack me up.

Just cause we're buddies dosen't mean I have a specific quanity available at all times, well if you consider 0 a quanity than I do.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Wait a second, the real question is why the fuck are kids going to school in mid august? That's like some communist bullshit. It's harvest season, dammit. Send them out to work on the farm for a couple more weeks.

I agree 100% on the school should start in September. I swear, school just keeps starting earlier and earlier every year.

Quote:
Civilized kids should only be learning about Sukey and Takara after labor day.

So, wait, what you're advocating is "no whites after Labor day"? (oh, yeah, I went there! and I'm almost proud of that bad pun)

SI

Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #126
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The crime here is that these pricks "update" textbooks every year just to make cosmetic changes, change numbers around, and update charts, which means you can't buy used copies of old editions for $20. Instead, you're stuck buying the brand new, $140 edition because the teacher is using the new one and making references to it.

Almost every professor I had in college in then law school were extremely sympathetic to this. A lot of times there'd be notes on the syllabus highlighting the differences between editions, and where you could find the info in the gap if you went with the older book.

My law school professors would ususally say, "the assignment is pages 1-100, if you have last year's casebook, just lookup case X on Westlaw and you'll be caught up".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote