Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #101
MJ4H
Coordinator

Your map pieces have been sent. I did forget to include which pieces were mapped by which tribes, so that information will be on a need to know basis only. If you need to know, just tell me. I'm sure we can work something out without breaking the bank.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #102
Passacaglia
Coordinator

It looks like i've got the NE corner. Either that, or my region just happens to be crooked on the south and west sides, but perfectly straight on the north and east.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #103
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I have the upper right hand (NE) portion of the map.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #104
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
It looks like i've got the NE corner. Either that, or my region just happens to be crooked on the south and west sides, but perfectly straight on the north and east.
I'm making a similar assumption.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #105
samifan24
Pro Starter

I believe I have the NW corner.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #106
MJ4H
Coordinator

Incidentally, keeping a copy of the map piece on your hard drive is a good idea. A copy that you know the mole can't get to. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #107
Barkeep49
Coordinator

So I have to guess that we have overlapping maps, adding another layer of complexity.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:49 AM   #108
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Anyone else have a the symbol of a piece of paper?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #109
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

You will be given these pieces. They do not
overlap.

No overlapping.

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-13-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #110
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
So I have to guess that we have overlapping maps, adding another layer of complexity.

Maybe you have to rotate your map piece. So if I think I have the NW corner, I might actually have the SW corner but rotated.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #111
path12
Coordinator

Kind of crazy at work today so I won't be around much until later, but if we've got two NE pieces I wonder if there are rotation issues?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #112
Barkeep49
Coordinator

That could be. That makes things a little easier. Can we adopt a letter/number system so that we can all be referring to common coordinates?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #113
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Incidentally, keeping a copy of the map piece on your hard drive is a good idea. A copy that you know the mole can't get to. Better safe than sorry.

At first I was all, "He can't delete our PMs!" Then I realized the map was a link to MJ4H's web page. Done.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #114
Thomkal
Head Coach

nasty host "forgetting" to tell us which tribe mapped the piece we got. Do we think knowing which tribe mapped our piece will help us any?

Anyone look at the minesweeper video? I saw my piece there and some others. My piece runs straight up 6 places, two boxes wide, then runs four rows to the left, one box wide on top and two rows to the left on the bottom, two boxes wide. That make any sense?

It looks like I might have four mines on my map if mines are circles with a dot on them, and two pieces of treasure if they look like a piece of paper.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #115
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've got something that looks like the SW corner.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM   #116
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I would like to suggest that we describe the map using coordinates starting at the lower left corner. Let's use 1-10 going across the bottom, and A-J going up the side. So, the SW corner would be A1 and the NE corner would be J10.

My piece covers A1-F1, A2-F2, and A3-A5. I've also got 3 mines and a treasure. Once we get all the pieces together, I'm happy to go anywhere in the order. First, last, middle, anything is fine.

Edit: to make things more clear.

Last edited by BrianD : 08-13-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #117
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Using Brian's sytem, I've got A3-A4, B2-B4, C1-C4, and D1-D4. I've got only circles and dots (probably mines), and no pieces of paper (probably treasure).
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #118
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wait, I think I misunderstoond Brian's system -- one sec.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #119
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Make mine C1-D1, B2-D2, A3-D3, and A4-D4.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #120
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So Brian, yours is like two columns of six spaces each, then a row of three singles at the bottom?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #121
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So Brian, yours is like two columns of six spaces each, then a row of three singles at the bottom?

Exactly.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #122
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Make mine C1-D1, B2-D2, A3-D3, and A4-D4.

Take a look at my system again. You seem to have a lot of overlap to mine. Numbers going across, letters going up.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #123
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Take a look at my system again. You seem to have a lot of overlap to mine. Numbers going across, letters going up.

Oh -- I was just giving mine as if my piece were the entire graph, not trying to fit it anywhere in a 10x10 grid yet. Both BK and I seem to have an argument for being in the NE corner, so I didn't think about locking mine in there yet.

Basically, I have a 4x4 square, with the left two cut out of the bottom row, and the left one cut out from the row right above that.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #124
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

That first mission has me freaked out on the rules. And I'm going to say something that may be stupid...but can we post the pictures of our maps in this thread? I read through the rules twice and I don't see anything forbidding us from posting the maps. I want to get confirmation from 2 players or MJ4H before I post my map in the thread (in case it gets us DQ'ed).

Wouldn't everything be much easier if we posted our maps in here and then worked as a group to assemble them into the actual map? Or am I just too burned out/tired from work to realize how this game is played? Thoughts?
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #125
Thomkal
Head Coach

Okay consider me confused. I don't know how you could know you have a corner piece or not. Mine could be a corner piece or it could go in the middle for all I know.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #126
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
That first mission has me freaked out on the rules. And I'm going to say something that may be stupid...but can we post the pictures of our maps in this thread? I read through the rules twice and I don't see anything forbidding us from posting the maps. I want to get confirmation from 2 players or MJ4H before I post my map in the thread (in case it gets us DQ'ed).

Wouldn't everything be much easier if we posted our maps in here and then worked as a group to assemble them into the actual map? Or am I just too burned out/tired from work to realize how this game is played? Thoughts?

There is no rule against that.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #127
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Okay consider me confused. I don't know how you could know you have a corner piece or not. Mine could be a corner piece or it could go in the middle for all I know.

I don't think we do -- some of us just think our pieces look like they should go there. Yours seems to look like it could go in either of two corners, based on those right angles, but it's all just guesses at this point.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #128
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Last edited by kingnebwsu : 08-13-2008 at 04:28 PM.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #129
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh -- I was just giving mine as if my piece were the entire graph, not trying to fit it anywhere in a 10x10 grid yet. Both BK and I seem to have an argument for being in the NE corner, so I didn't think about locking mine in there yet.

Basically, I have a 4x4 square, with the left two cut out of the bottom row, and the left one cut out from the row right above that.

You are right, I shouldn't have worried about the overlap. None of us knows where our pieces go, so exact grid references are meaningless. Getting the shape out so we can piece them together is meaningful. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #130
Thomkal
Head Coach

Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #131
path12
Coordinator

Much easier this way, I think! Here's mine:

Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #132
path12
Coordinator

I think it's pretty clear these are not aligned properly. If that was covered earlier, sorry for the redundancy.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #133
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Here is mine:

We might need to figure out who created these maps as they could be from their point of view.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #134
Passacaglia
Coordinator

http://pwatts14.googlepages.com/ciuhcvre.jpg
Old 08-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #135
MJ4H
Coordinator

I updated the first post of this thread with a fun little intro video to the whole game (The FOFC Mole, not just one of the missions). Might be fun to check it out. Just for fun. No clues are embedded in it, I promise. Other videos I make, no such promise.

Last edited by MJ4H : 08-13-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #136
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I updated the first post of this thread with a fun little intro video to the whole game (The FOFC Mole, not just one of the missions). Might be fun to check it out. Just for fun. No clues are embedded in it, I promise. Other videos I make, no such promise.

Great job on the video. The more you talk about embedding clues, the more I am intrigued. The more you make this game like Lost, the better.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #137
samifan24
Pro Starter

Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 AM   #138
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #139
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm going to suggest that path's piece fits inside of Thomkals.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #140
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I'm going to suggest that path's piece fits inside of Thomkals.

I think so too Barkeep though I'm having a hard time flipping them around in my mind. And I think we should probably find out which tribe mapped one of our pieces so we have some idea of the orientation of our pieces.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #141
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wow I'm not a visual learner so I'm having a lot of trouble with this one.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #142
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

OK all, I just counted all the pieces of the map and there are 100 squares identified. We have a complete map (minus the unlabeled spaces) in our 7 pieces. Now we just need to figure out how they go together.

As a side note for today: I'm probably going to be away from the computer from at least 2:30 until 9:00 tonight. Funeral services and such will be happening at that time.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #143
path12
Coordinator

Time to get out the graph paper methinks. I likely won't have much of a chance today though -- Ms.Path's birthday. Hopefully this afternoon I can get an hour or so.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #144
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

OK gang, I'll type up the instructions, I'm hoping someone can do the graphic work.

Start with samifan24 in the NW corner and connect with barkeep49 to the NE corner. They make the top of the map. Spin BrianD a quarter turn counter-clockwise and connect to the bottom of barkeep49 to make the SE corner. Give passacaglia a half turn and connect to me to make the SW corner. Pass doesn't connect to samifan24.

Thomkal goes adjacent to Barkeep49 and BrianD. Kingnebwsu gets a quarter turn clockwise and slides into the gap made by Thomkal's piece. Path12 gets a quarter turn clockwise and fits into the remaining space.

This should give us a full map. If anyone wants to create this picture, we can get started with our movement. Keep in mind that once the full map is in place, we still have to figure out which way to spin the full map.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:55 PM   #145
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just to keep things on track, I would like to remind everyone that there are 5 unmapped mines, and 1 unmapped treasure (that is worth 25k instead of 10k like the others). Who knows what else you might find in there, too. Nothing besides the mines Ive mentioned is deadly, though. Anything that isn't a mine is good. For someone.

Remember also that just because something isn't mapped doesn't mean the information isn't out there.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #146
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
OK gang, I'll type up the instructions, I'm hoping someone can do the graphic work.

Start with samifan24 in the NW corner and connect with barkeep49 to the NE corner. They make the top of the map. Spin BrianD a quarter turn counter-clockwise and connect to the bottom of barkeep49 to make the SE corner. Give passacaglia a half turn and connect to me to make the SW corner. Pass doesn't connect to samifan24.

Thomkal goes adjacent to Barkeep49 and BrianD. Kingnebwsu gets a quarter turn clockwise and slides into the gap made by Thomkal's piece. Path12 gets a quarter turn clockwise and fits into the remaining space.

This should give us a full map. If anyone wants to create this picture, we can get started with our movement. Keep in mind that once the full map is in place, we still have to figure out which way to spin the full map.

I'll give it a try this afternoon, if no one else does.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #147
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I can't really do the graphic work, but would suggest that we would want to enter the square on a potential mine so that we could try and figure out orientation. I think we want no one to pick up treasure until we've charted a safe path from the treasures to the village.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #148
MJ4H
Coordinator

Another note of caution. Each player must exit the field via a different square. One safe path isn't enough.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #149
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Another note of caution. Each player must exit the field via a different square. One safe path isn't enough.

Do we all need to make it to the other side, or is it just that all the treasure has to? Can we pass treasure from one person to the other? If so, do we need to be on the same square, or is adjacent squares okay?
Old 08-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #150
MJ4H
Coordinator

Each person that makes it across with a treasure will add $ to the pot. Only one person will be in the field at a time.