Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #101
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Maggianos is far better than either Carrabas or Olive Garden.
Word. Maggianos is a pretty solid choice - I had forgotten about it...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM   #102
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've been there three times and hated it each time. Service was terrible and food wasn't worth what you pay. Quantity doesn't = quality.

I agree quantity doesn't equal quality. I just find Carrabas and Olive Garden are HORRIBLE Italian food. Maggianos just seems more like the Italian I'm used to, back in Jersey.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #103
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
As long as I have my gas grill, I don't need no stinkin' restaurants.
Heh. That's not something I would go around bragging about, Ace...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #104
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Fogo de Chão
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #105
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
As long as I have my charcoal grill, I don't need no stinkin' restaurants.

Fixed that for me.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #106
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAFTjunkie View Post
Famous Dave's BBQ

I'm going to VEgas for my honeymoon in September and I'm excited to try out some of the chains we don't have in Boston such as El Pollo Loco, Sonic and Jack in the Box.

p.s. Vinny T's (used to be Vinny Teste's, which is more fitting) is an abomination.

I think I just threw up in my mouth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Heh. That's not something I would go around bragging about, Ace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Fixed that for me.

Ok, I know you all think yer being some sort of "grilling studs" here but if yer not using actual WOOD for your grill fire then you might as well be using gasoliine becase charcoal these days is treated with any umber of chemicals far worse than using natural gas.

I just love reading comments from uppity grill men, most of them are so...typical.

And yes I use a gas grill because its built into my patio. Direct feed off the natural gas line from the house. If I had my choice I'd use wood chips and get a real fire grilled flavor.

Last edited by RendeR : 08-08-2008 at 08:17 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #107
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I agree quantity doesn't equal quality. I just find Carrabas and Olive Garden are HORRIBLE Italian food. Maggianos just seems more like the Italian I'm used to, back in Jersey.

Different regional focus maybe? I like Carrabas ok, but it's not like something you'd get from your typical place in Little Italy or your mom & pop type places (which I prefer, really). Never been to a Maggianos.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #108
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seriously now -- if the setup is that cost and health don't matter (which it is) and nobody is declaring entries like Ruth's Chris as off limits (which they aren't)... what the fuck are you people doing haggling over bullshit like Chipotle, Red Lobster and Carraba's? Give me a break.

If places like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, or even the Capital Grille are fair game here...and someone else is paying for it forever... you people either need to get out more, or just pull your heads out of your asses. I like a six dollar burrito as much as the next guy (likely more than him, actually) but spare me. I'll take a filet mignon with lump crabmeat, asparagus and bearnaise sauce pretty much every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday night for the rest of my life, thankyouverymuch. And that's before we even open the wine list.

THINK.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #109
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

As a point of reference, Carrabba's is about as close to the Italian places I would eat at in Italy as I've found in the US.

And as a trivia item, Maggiano's was started by the same folks who own Chili's.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #110
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Ok, I know you all think yer being some sort of "grilling studs" here but if yer not using actual WOOD for your grill fire then you might as well be using gasoliine becase charcoal these days is treated with any umber of chemicals far worse than using natural gas.

I just love reading comments from uppity grill men, most of them are so...typical.

And yes I use a gas grill because its built into my patio. Direct feed off the natural gas line from the house. If I had my choice I'd use wood chips and get a real fire grilled flavor.
I use additive-free charcoal and woodchips and a chimney starter.

I was just teasing sflcat because I know he can take it. If he was an oversensitive, defensive, know-it-all superdouche then I wouldn't have bothered commenting.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Actually, I've noticed a decline in quality as well. I just figured it was due to moving to Connecticut, and that the one we went to back in Illinois was still superb. Maybe it's more global than I thought....

I've noticed this as well. Choice is easy for me if health and wealth are no factor - Fleming's Steak House.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Morton's would be right up there for me as well. I think Ruth Chris is vastly overrated.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #113
Malificent
High School JV

Firebird's Rocky Mountain Grill. Yum.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #114
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Seriously now -- if the setup is that cost and health don't matter (which it is) and nobody is declaring entries like Ruth's Chris as off limits (which they aren't)... what the fuck are you people doing haggling over bullshit like Chipotle, Red Lobster and Carraba's? Give me a break.

If places like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, or even the Capital Grille are fair game here...and someone else is paying for it forever... you people either need to get out more, or just pull your heads out of your asses. I like a six dollar burrito as much as the next guy (likely more than him, actually) but spare me. I'll take a filet mignon with lump crabmeat, asparagus and bearnaise sauce pretty much every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday night for the rest of my life, thankyouverymuch. And that's before we even open the wine list.

THINK.
To be honest, I don't think I'd really enjoy steak 4 or 5 times a week. 2 or 3 times? Yeah, but not more than that, which is why I'd like a restaurant with some menu variety, something I don't think Ruth Chris or Morton's really offers me (as I don't eat seafood).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #115
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

THINK.

I'm a vegetarian
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #116
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Roy's is good, but overpriced. I find I can get as good of a meal at much cheaper prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Also, price is not an issue, as a wealthy benefactor is paying for it all.

I'll stick with Roy's.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #117
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Not local, but I like Abuelo's better in OKC. Ted's is good too.
Abuelo's is very good. Ate there a few times when we were in Midland, TX. One of the few Mexican places I actually like.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #118
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Famous Dave's BBQ

I'm going to VEgas for my honeymoon in September and I'm excited to try out some of the chains we don't have in Boston such as El Pollo Loco, Sonic and Jack in the Box.

p.s. Vinny T's (used to be Vinny Teste's, which is more fitting) is an abomination.
You've got to try In and Out Burger. The burgers are good and the fries are excellent.

They don't have Sonic in Boston? Really?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #119
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm a vegetarian

And I'm suggesting a flight to quality, not necessarily meat.

Though, given the setup, I'd still recommend you get over yourself and start macking on some actual food. But still... Cheesecake Factory? Is that really the highest quality array of vegetarian options out there?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #120
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
To be honest, I don't think I'd really enjoy steak 4 or 5 times a week. 2 or 3 times? Yeah, but not more than that, which is why I'd like a restaurant with some menu variety, something I don't think Ruth Chris or Morton's really offers me (as I don't eat seafood).

Any high quality steakhouse will spread a pretty decent array of non-steak offerings. Even if you drop seafood, a quality steakhouse is going to have excellent salads, soups, appetizers, poultry, and pasta dishes. And a well-stocked bar and wine list. And a knockout dessert menu. This is the rest of your life after all.

I'm just not persuaded that the "range" offered by the full menu at Applebee's or even Cheesecake Factory (who might be the epitome there, I'd agree) is worth the enormous sacrifice in quality.

But I'm not wedded to a steakhouse. It's just that the premium steakhouse is essentially the model for a high-end chain restaurant. Someone earlier said the Capital Grille, and maybe that's a fair compromise -- a little less steak-focused, a little more variety, but everything is going to be pretty damned good.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maggianos is far better than either Carrabas or Olive Garden.

Amen to that. Probably my favorite Italian restaurant next to Lil Rizzos at the Lake of the Ozarks.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #122
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
Oh, good call o Steak n Shake. We don't have them in Colorado, but when I go back to Illinois to visit I eat there a lot...there and Monical's Pizza.

Frisco melt combo with cheeze fries and chili.. oh man!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #123
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
You've got to try In and Out Burger. The burgers are good and the fries are excellent.

They don't have Sonic in Boston? Really?

Thanks, I'll add that to my list.

Yeah, we really don't have Sonic. We have constant commercials for Sonic, but no Sonic. I hear they have like...a billion soda combinations. Being a soda afficionado, this excites me.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #124
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Any high quality steakhouse will spread a pretty decent array of non-steak offerings. Even if you drop seafood, a quality steakhouse is going to have excellent salads, soups, appetizers, poultry, and pasta dishes. And a well-stocked bar and wine list. And a knockout dessert menu. This is the rest of your life after all.

I'm just not persuaded that the "range" offered by the full menu at Applebee's or even Cheesecake Factory (who might be the epitome there, I'd agree) is worth the enormous sacrifice in quality.

But I'm not wedded to a steakhouse. It's just that the premium steakhouse is essentially the model for a high-end chain restaurant. Someone earlier said the Capital Grille, and maybe that's a fair compromise -- a little less steak-focused, a little more variety, but everything is going to be pretty damned good.
I haven't eaten at Capital Grille or Ted's Montana Grill, but those both seemed like good suggestions from what I know. Several steps up from Outback, that's for sure.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #125
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, we really don't have Sonic. We have constant commercials for Sonic, but no Sonic. I hear they have like...a billion soda combinations. Being a soda afficionado, this excites me.
I'd push for In-n-Out over sonic too. Great value, good food.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #126
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

The drinks are the reason I go these days. Tons of combinations with the added flavors. I'm not a big fan of their burgers though, unless it's one of their limited time offerings, like the mushroom-swiss. Love their breakfast sandwiches. Among the best in fast food.

2 other places we enjoyed in Vegas last month were Top of the World at the Stratosphere and Austins Steakhouse in Texas Station. If you go to Top of the World, which has a great view of the city, and you're into wine, try the Brachetto Di Acqui from Marenco, Italy, a sweet red wine that my wife and I enjoyed when we ate there. And have the ribeye at Austins.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #127
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
And I'm suggesting a flight to quality, not necessarily meat.

Though, given the setup, I'd still recommend you get over yourself and start macking on some actual food. But still... Cheesecake Factory? Is that really the highest quality array of vegetarian options out there?

get over myself?

as far as "chain restaurants" go they have several options for vegetarians. If you can find something better and fits the question by all means suggest it.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #128
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
as far as "chain restaurants" go they have several options for vegetarians. If you can find something better and fits the question by all means suggest it.

My question was an honest one. I guess the CF is as good as any for variety just because they have a wide menu overall. I know of quite a few local places that my vegetarian wife enjoys regularly, but we don't frequent any true chain places.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #129
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

well sure there are great local places, but when I think chains I think of Fridays, Applebees, etc...

I just dont undesrstand what you meant by "get over yourself"
Old 08-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #130
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Yeah, I'm changing my vote to Legal Seafood. Yesterday I was craving a burger, but today it's lobster and steamers.

Sorry Sonic... but you still kick In-n-Out's ass every day of the week.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #131
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I just dont undesrstand what you meant by "get over yourself"

Actually, I'm pretty sure that you understand exactly what I meant.

It's just the sort of poke that we savages use to disparage you people of conscience. Certainly it isn't the first time someone has made a gentle jab based on your dietary decision? I mean -- since you want to wear it on your sleeve, it has to come up, right?

As far as I'm concerned, my food chain begins with a styrofoam tray. It's possible that if I learned more and thought about it a lot, I'd gain a different view. That's likely why I don't do so.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #132
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Mmmmm, Ruth's Chris forever, mmmmmmm....
Old 08-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #133
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I actualy dont wear lt on my sleeve at all. I may have mentioned it but I really could care less about animals or who eats them. I don't point out other peoples dietary habits at all.

I choose not to eat meat because I dont care for it. It has nothing to do with conscience.

You mentioned everyone who didnt choose a steakhouse is full of it and I was telling you my reason for not choosing a steakhouse.

I have never once on almost 10K posts trumpeted a vegaterian cause and never in my life tried to change someones outlook on the subject, so I see no need to "get over myself"
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #134
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I actualy dont wear lt on my sleeve at all. I may have mentioned it but I really could care less about animals or who eats them. I don't point out other peoples dietary habits at all.

I choose not to eat meat because I dont care for it. It has nothing to do with conscience.

You mentioned everyone who didnt choose a steakhouse is full of it and I was telling you my reason for not choosing a steakhouse.

I have never once on almost 10K posts trumpeted a vegaterian cause and never in my life tried to change someones outlook on the subject, so I see no need to "get over myself"
OH SHIT ANOTHER INDIGNANT VEGETARIAN!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #135
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

THINK.

I don't really eat red meat.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #136
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
If places like Morton's, Ruth's Chris, or even the Capital Grille are fair game here..

Never heard of them

Quote:
you people either need to get out more

No argument from me on that point.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #137
DrAFTjunkie
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
The drinks are the reason I go these days. Tons of combinations with the added flavors. I'm not a big fan of their burgers though, unless it's one of their limited time offerings, like the mushroom-swiss. Love their breakfast sandwiches. Among the best in fast food.

2 other places we enjoyed in Vegas last month were Top of the World at the Stratosphere and Austins Steakhouse in Texas Station. If you go to Top of the World, which has a great view of the city, and you're into wine, try the Brachetto Di Acqui from Marenco, Italy, a sweet red wine that my wife and I enjoyed when we ate there. And have the ribeye at Austins.

Yeah, the burgers don't look very appetizing on tv...I'm all about the soda.

We're definitely into wine, so maybe a trip to Top of the World will be in order. I don't really eat steak though, so the ribeye is pretty much out of the question for me--unless there's a nice marinade involved.
DrAFTjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #138
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
OH SHIT ANOTHER INDIGNANT VEGETARIAN!!!!

Don't make Critch sic a naked Amanda Beard on you.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #139
Danny
Head Coach

Ruth Chris' isn't even that good of a steakhouse to me. They dry age their beef which pales in comparison to the restaurants who wet age their beef like Maestros, Flemming's and others. This is all a matter of preference of course.

I would not be happy eating every night in a steakhouse. Once a week is too much for me let alone every day.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #140
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Does the food bar area in Whole Foods count? I love that place. I could eat there every day.

Expensive, so called high class joints, might have some good food. In all honesty though I am pretty sure I would get sick from being around the people in those places if I were eating there every night. Maybe I could get it to go?

In fact, the people around me would probably be the big factor in this for me. Can I stand certain types of people every night or not? The answer would be no for a lot of the better places I think.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #141
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not local, but I like Abuelo's better in OKC. Ted's is good too.

I wasn't real impressed by Abuelo's. Ted's(at least in Tulsa) is excellent though. Best I've had.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #142
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
RESTAURANT GENDER TEST

Likelihood of you being FEMALE is 100%
Likelihood of you being MALE is 0%

Meh, I'm not a big steak eater. I love pasta but at this point prefer to cook it on my own. Mimi's has a good selection of food, and they rotate their menu fairly often. And they serve breakfast during breakfast hours.

Mimis Cafe - Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner

Never heard of Todai before, but it seems there's one "nearish" me so I may have to check it out. Granted, for sushi, I go to a fantastic little local joint.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #143
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Ted's(at least in Tulsa) is excellent though. Best I've had.

Haven't tried the one in Tulsa yet. I'm still mad he expanded to Tulsa what was once a uniquely OKC spot.

As for Top of the World that somebody mentioned above, I ate there back when it first opened and was incredibly disappointed. It was overpriced, and the food was mediocre. Of course, that was a long time ago, so take it for what its worth. I wasn't much of a wine drinker then either. I should go back, give it another try and order the Brachetto Di Acqui.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MMMMM... Steak n Shake frisco melt!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #145
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Ruth Chris' isn't even that good of a steakhouse to me. They dry age their beef which pales in comparison to the restaurants who wet age their beef like Maestros, Flemming's and others. This is all a matter of preference of course.

I would not be happy eating every night in a steakhouse. Once a week is too much for me let alone every day.

Hooboy! We are two different people. I could eat in a steakhouse every night of the week and leave with a smile on my face. I swear, not a day goes by that I'm not craving steak at some point.

Having your food wrapped between bread, rice and seaweed, or tortillas?!?!?! That's for POOR PEOPLE! And, since I'm poor, that's the shit I have to do.

BUT, if I wasn't poor, and the rules of this thing say that my economic standing has no influence whatsoever, I'd be at Morton's every night, annoying the waitresses with my below-average flirting skills, and tipping the bartenders with twenties.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #146
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Have to agree with Danny. Would get bored eating steak every night.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #147
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

THINK.

I did. I just don't like all that shit you like.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #148
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
As for Top of the World that somebody mentioned above, I ate there back when it first opened and was incredibly disappointed. It was overpriced, and the food was mediocre. Of course, that was a long time ago, so take it for what its worth. I wasn't much of a wine drinker then either. I should go back, give it another try and order the Brachetto Di Acqui.
The food wasn't great, but it was good. The ambiance and the view more than made up for it, though. It was a memorable dinner on our anniversary.

And that wine was recommended by our waiter and was very good. We're looking at getting some here in Georgia to see if the wineries they sell here taste as good.

Last edited by rjolley : 08-09-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #149
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
The food wasn't great, but it was good. The ambiance and the view more than made up for it, though. It was a memorable dinner on our anniversary.

And that wine was recommended by our waiter and was very good. We're looking at getting some here in Georgia to see if the wineries they sell here taste as good.

Agreed, definitely memorable if I can still recall it fairly clearly this long after the fact (can't remember exactly but I'm sure it was at least 8/9 years ago). I recall being disappointed with the food, but it may very well have been a case of high expectations because it had been recommended by some friends who had gone the previous summer.

BTW, is that wine a sparkling red?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #150
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think we need to have a defination of "chain" that includes "locations in more than one region of the country" to really get to the bottom of this question
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote