Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like some big news may be soon to come out of Lubbock, TX. According to a couple of sources on a Texas Tech insider board, Michael Crabtree has been ruled ineligible for 'Reggie Bush-like' reasons.

The rumor seems to be validated by the two-deep roster, which doesn't have Crabtree listed anywhere.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #102
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Looks like some big news may be soon to come out of Lubbock, TX. According to a couple of sources on a Texas Tech insider board, Michael Crabtree has been ruled ineligible for 'Reggie Bush-like' reasons.

The rumor seems to be validated by the two-deep roster, which doesn't have Crabtree listed anywhere.

NCAA: Tech football player cleared of possible violation | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thanks. Big sigh of relief for TT.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #104
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Lots of Tech folks still concerned about Nesbitt. I thought he looked pretty good--though hard to know what he was up against. I'm much more concerned about the interior of the offensive line.

Yeah, listening to the radio calls, it didn't sound like we did all that much up the middle. That said, we also didn't actually run much option - I think the triple was only called six or seven times, and I don't recall a midline.

Keeping in mind that it was Nesbitt's first start, and first serious game action, and I think he did pretty well. Ditto with Jaybo Shaw.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #105
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I am not surprised but pleased at Wake's dismantling of Baylor yesterday. They certainly reminded me , that if a team makes a mistake, Wake will be there and ready to take advantage of it.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I am not surprised but pleased at Wake's dismantling of Baylor yesterday. They certainly reminded me , that if a team makes a mistake, Wake will be there and ready to take advantage of it.

Honestly, Baylor needs to be move to 1-AA. They're not very good at all. They'll lose by 50-60 points to some of the upper half B12 teams.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #107
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Honestly, Baylor needs to be move to 1-AA. They're not very good at all. They'll lose by 50-60 points to some of the upper half B12 teams.

I have heard that before related to other teams, like Wake, in the past. So Even if they suck usually, and Baylor does, there have been years where Baylor has been a decent team. I imagine they will be again at some point in the future.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #108
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I have heard that before related to other teams, like Wake, in the past. So Even if they suck usually, and Baylor does, there have been years where Baylor has been a decent team. I imagine they will be again at some point in the future.

Yeah, their new coach, Art Briles, will get them turned around in a couple of seasons. They will be a much better team later in this season than they were last night. Really, they would have been better off not joining the Big 12, and following Rice, SMU and TCU, and joining conferences where the cost to compete wasn't so high. You could swap Rice or TCU for Baylor, and I'm sure that the roles would be the same, with Rice or TCU continuing to be Big 12 doormats while Baylor would have several bowl appearances.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #109
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I have the MTN now on DirecTV and I am anxiously awaiting tomorrows BYU game, but since it isn't until 6 pm EST, I get to watch a ton of football before, it's going to be a great day.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #110
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I have always hated playing Wake in football through the years. No matter how bad they were or how good we were, we always seemed to struggle (those late-80s shootouts were something else to watch, though). Once Grobe took over at Wake, I started calling it the "jawbreaker" game because of the entirely different nature of Wake's offense and how difficult it was to prepare for. Who knew that by 2008, we'd be the speedbump for Wake Forest football?

Come to think of it, that's kind of how it's been for any of the North Carolina schools. Other than the Sheridan years, we've never really had strong ownership of the Carolina series and Duke was like Wake in that they always seemed to bring it aside from a few blowout years.

After last night's performance, I'm trying to reconcile how bad things have gotten, I guess. I'll be amazed if we win more than a few games this year. Our defense looks solid, but you can't win if you can't score and we haven't scored in two full games now, going back to a similar shellacking at the hands of Maryland at the end of last year. Some State fans are wanting to rip off Glennon's redshirt and get him going now, but I think this team is so bad on offense that it just wouldn't make sense to throw a true freshman into in and make him suffer like that. Rivers was a true freshman when he started, but he also graduated early so he got a round of spring ball and he also had Koren Robinson to throw to and the rest of the team was not bad. It wasn't like we had a converted defensive lineman playing center like we did last night. (Some of those snaps were just laughably bad)

I believe we'll beat William & Mary next weekend, but after that, who knows?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #111
timmynausea
College Starter

I hate to say it, but I just don't see NC State getting much better under O'Brien. Looking back, he had pretty average records with some high quality QBs at BC in the Hasselbeck brothers and Matt Ryan, Brian St. Pierre was a solid college QB as well. I don't think it's a coincidence that BC finally made it to double digit wins (11) as soon as he left, after six years of plateauing at 8-9 wins per year under O'Brien.

He's one of those guys that is solid at the program-building side of coaching (and I can't say how much of that is/was his assistants), but I think his gameplanning, on offense in particular is too conservative and holds his teams back. Maybe NC State will get better, but I think the best case scenario is a perennial 7 or 8 win team.

Last edited by timmynausea : 08-29-2008 at 12:44 PM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #112
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami wins big, but against no competition. Still, it was nice to see Jacory Harris have a good start. I have a feeling he will see some action against the Gators, even if Mavre is the starter.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #113
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I hate to say it, but I just don't see NC State getting much better under O'Brien. Looking back, he had pretty average records with some high quality QBs at BC in the Hasselbeck brothers and Matt Ryan, Brian St. Pierre was a solid college QB as well. I don't think it's a coincidence that BC finally made it to double digit wins (11) as soon as he left, after six years of plateauing at 8-9 wins per year under O'Brien.

He's one of those guys that is solid at the program-building side of coaching (and I can't say how much of that is/was his assistants), but I think his gameplanning, on offense in particular is too conservative and holds his teams back. Maybe NC State will get better, but I think the best case scenario is a perennial 7 or 8 win team.

Ironically enough, that's about what I expect, but generally most State fans would be happy with 8 wins and a bowl. State's never been a football factory school, so there isn't a lot of expectation to ever become one, aside from a brief period when the sky seemed to be the limit under Amato and Rivers after 2002. State fans will take 7-5 or 8-4 with occasional (once or twice a decade) years where we get 10+ wins in a "special season". Granted, only that 2002 team ever actually eclipsed the 10-win mark in the history of the school, but with the potential for 13 or 14 games on the schedule now (if bowls and CCGs are counted), it's not as unreasonable as it used to be.

It's also a little funny that you mention O'Brien being conservative and poor in gameplanning. People around here were complaining that they stuck with the shotgun spread too much last night after Wilson got knocked out because running the spread is not what Daniel Evans is designed to do as he's much more of a dropback passer. I can understand that, but I also understand that our line is continuing to be a patchwork makeup such as the aforementioned former DL-turned-center. If there was any hope of our guys having time to pass the ball, they needed to be set up and ready to throw ASAP because the pass-blocking just isn't there right now. However, they needed some chance of disguising intent. If the QB is under center every time they wanted to run and in the gun every time they wanted to pass, the offense would be painfully obvious, would it not? Realistically, it was a no-win situation. Hopefully, our lead runner Jamele Eugene will be back next week and we'll be able to run the ball more, because it certainly looks like that will have to be our offensive strength this year. The OL certainly seemed more comfortable attacking than reacting and protecting. Shoot, bring back the Wing-T or something.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LSU up 17-0 on Appy State as the 2nd quarter gets underway.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #115
Izulde
Head Coach

Boneheaded move for VT to go for it on 4th down there.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

LSU now up 31-0 as ESPN is cutting away from the game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #117
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Hawaii and Florida should be interesting.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #118
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Hawaii and Florida should be interesting.

With Colt and his WRs gone? Not likely.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia already 10-0 on Ga Southern.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My goodness, Sean Glennon is awful.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #121
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Glennon is such a shitty QB. I think Frank Beamer needs to go ahead and let Taylor do this thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #122
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I hate Tebow but that was impressive.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #123
korme
Go Reds

Here we go Buckeyes!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #124
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

It is kind of nice to be able to watch the Badgers on the new Big Ten Network addition to Time Warner. Sadly the HD cable feed is pretty bad quality.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #125
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Still 10-0 UGA, GaSouthern twice into the red zone but managed only a missed FG and a pick in the end zone.

edit -- Make that 17-0 on a long pass over the middle.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-30-2008 at 12:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #126
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Still 10-0 UGA, GaSouthern twice into the red zone but managed only a missed FG and a pick in the end zone.

edit -- Make that 17-0 on a long pass over the middle.

How sad was it that Joe Cox got to play ealry, and so did true Freshman Samuel. The second play, the first time ever Samuel touches the ball, he just straight up dropped it on the ground. Not the highlight you want for your first college touch ever.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-30-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Samuel, not Daniels
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #127
Thomkal
Head Coach

38-7 Penn State over my beloved Coastal Carolina at the half. No shock really, other than the fact that we scored against them
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #128
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

"Beamer Ball" is the only thing keeping Virginia Tech ahead of East Carolina. ECU just scored a TD, but VT blocked the extra point and ran it back for 2 points. VT leads 16-13 in the 3rd quarter.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:21 PM   #129
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Beanie Wells was carted off the field today, the announcer said he heard his ankle pop. Looks bad for the Bucks.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #130
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

If that is true then there goes their season.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #131
korme
Go Reds

Fuck
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #132
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No, it probably won't make an impact in terms of record. I think they'll lose at USC regardless and the Big Ten is so weak they still can run the table without him. It would be a big surprise if OSU wasn't in the Rose Bowl.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #133
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Looks like Wells is on the sideline so it probably isn't a break, still the way it looked and how he reacted, it probably is a bad sprain.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #134
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Pryor looks good. Man they are going to be scary good in a few seasons with him at the helm.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #135
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

P.J. Hill with 200+ yards... looking good.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #136
Celeval
Pro Starter

ECU - VT looking like a game...
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ECU just Beamerballed the Hokies, blocked punt for the go ahead TD with 1:52 left.
27-22 Pirates.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-30-2008 at 01:54 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #138
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great play by ECU. Best game of the day so far.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #139
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Three true frosh starting for UM today:

Darryl Stonum, Sam McGuffie and Michael Shaw
Old 08-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #140
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I guess the ACC really is a weak conference. Glennon is terrible and Frank Beamer should have played Taylor who is atleast dynamic enough to make things happen.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #141
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I lied .. Stonum and McGuffie starting .. No Shaw, Tay Odoms will start in the slot. McGuffie starting tailback.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 PM   #142
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I guess the ACC really is a weak conference. Glennon is terrible and Frank Beamer should have played Taylor who is atleast dynamic enough to make things happen.

The ACC is horrible. Clemson will probably lay an egg against Alabama tonight, also.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The ACC is horrible. Clemson will probably lay an egg against Alabama tonight, also.

That's what I'm expecting anyway.

Elsewhere, Bowling Green leads 27-17 over #25 Pitt with 12 mins to play.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #144
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Seriously, the BCS needs to seriously consider revoking the automatic bid for the ACC. They're 1-9 all-time in BCS games.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another pick 6 for the Gators, 80 yds this time. Now 56-0 over Hawaii as the 3rd quarter comes to a close.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #146
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Great play by ECU. Best game of the day so far.

"

Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #147
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Another pick 6 for the Gators, 80 yds this time. Now 56-0 over Hawaii as the 3rd quarter comes to a close.

Actually, there's still 12:00 left in the 3rd quarter.

I forget, who is the Hawaii fan here at FOFC that used to make about 200 posts during the Hawaii games?

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 08-30-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #148
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Seriously, the BCS needs to seriously consider revoking the automatic bid for the ACC. They're 1-9 all-time in BCS games.

Right.....
Old 08-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #149
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay that was a silly penalty on Bowling Green there. For those not watching, they flagged a DL for celebration after a sack. It was a short burst of expression, with his back to the opponents & walking away from the play afterwards. Just silly to call that sort of thing IMO.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #150
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Okay that was a silly penalty on Bowling Green there. For those not watching, they flagged a DL for celebration after a sack. It was a short burst of expression, with his back to the opponents & walking away from the play afterwards. Just silly to call that sort of thing IMO.

$$$$$$$$
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote