Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #101
Radii
Head Coach

Cotton seems kinda crazy... My Textile shop is now at 150 shop worth. The demand for fabrics is a consistant 9/mo every season. That's 108/year. Without upgrading, that's 9 cotton farms.

If I go to RL 1, I can start to sell Summer Clothing. The demand for that is (S S A W): 2 36 14 0, which looks like 156 a year if my math is right(it takes 1 fabrics to make 1 summer clothing). so without upgrading the cotton farms, to handle full demand at research level 1 would take 22 cotton farms. It looks very profitable, but WOW...

I have 4 built now that are idle til month 5 next year, I guess the nice thing about the whole planting season thing is that you have a few months of downtime for upgrades. Since Textiles is where about 2/3 of my shop income will be coming from once I have fabrics going, it looks like cotton production is going to be my major focus for the next couple years.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #102
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'm FOFC LLC. That month must have had a bunch of Iron Ore sell. I'm rather confused by seasonal demand too. Wooden trains sell at 14 during the winter and 5 every other season. I'm selling all 7 that I make every month. That doesn't seem right.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #103
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've taken the leap toward the textile shop. I've got sheep farms to sell wool and to create winter clothes. I also found some fabric on the market that I can sell for the same price I bought it, and I built a factory for summer clothes. That should get the store value up if I can keep finding reasonably priced fabric on the market. That part scares me a bit.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #104
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I've taken the leap toward the textile shop. I've got sheep farms to sell wool and to create winter clothes. I also found some fabric on the market that I can sell for the same price I bought it, and I built a factory for summer clothes. That should get the store value up if I can keep finding reasonably priced fabric on the market. That part scares me a bit.

I think we'll eventually have to rely to outsourcing on some materials given that you can only build 100 buildings on your land. But yeah, it scares me too, mostly cause I don't have a good feel for supply/demand yet, just like it would be if I jumped into a new market in the real world...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

been reading through the wiki for about an hour now and find the branch page to be very interesting and a good entry point to lots of learning.

The cafe branch seems to be one that would be easily exploitable, mostly because it involves three items (coffee and cocoa beans and tea bush), that are available through the harbor at a fairly low price. Add some milk for ice cream and cacao and you cover 3 of the 5 RL0 items...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #106
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
been reading through the wiki for about an hour now and find the branch page to be very interesting and a good entry point to lots of learning.

The cafe branch seems to be one that would be easily exploitable, mostly because it involves three items (coffee and cocoa beans and tea bush), that are available through the harbor at a fairly low price. Add some milk for ice cream and cacao and you cover 3 of the 5 RL0 items...

FM

Very interesting. For those of us who already have steel(for cans), that would be a very easy shop to stock fully at L0 and presumably do well with.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #107
Radii
Head Coach

Its 1 month before cotton gets planted. I now have 8 cotton farms upgraded once, so in December I'll get 8x13 Cotton to start churning out Fabrics with.

The Cafe Shop looks like its very easy to get up and running, so I may do that, but after that my intention is to stop expanding until I get to RL1 to open up Summer Clothes for the textile shop. With enough cotton, that looks very lucrative.

Mostly so far I(like all of us I think) have been experimenting with trying out different things so we'll be ready to go for the next restart, I'm starting to think that I have a good enough handle on how everything works that I need to take some time and seriously plot a strategy to make as much money as possible before the game resets. Since product quality levels are the one thing that carry over from game to game, it seems like it'd be a big advantage if it was possible to get a couple upgrades before the reset. I'm not sure how far away I am from being able to sustain a 500k/mo upkeep fee on a research plant, but working towards that specifically is definitely my goal.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #108
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wait.. what carries over between resets?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #109
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Wait.. what carries over between resets?

the quality level of products you produce. I'm nto all clear on how that works but I have read (yep, the manual again ) that for something to be a certain quality level, everything going into it needs to be of that quality level. Say you have improved the quality of your iron ore AND your steel, you would be putting out steel unit of a higher quality.

Again, it's not yet clear to me how the whole "improving on quality" thing occurs. I'd assume you need a research building, but one of thos cost 500k a month in maintenance, as Radii implied in is post...

FM
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #110
Radii
Head Coach

http://en.wiki.industrie-tycoon.de/i...lding_research

The section titled "Quality Research" is the manual portion of that, it doesn't mention there about quality carrying over between resets, one of the FAQ's available before you join does mention it though. It looks a little confusing and doesn't even directly explain the benefits, though I think if you get a higher quality product all the way to market(by having upgrades all the way thruogh your supply chain) your products sell for more?

Wool would be ideal since it goes straight from the farm to the store so you can gauge the benefits right away. Logs/Lumber from the DIY store would be a decent choice too, espicially if you're using that a lot in the toy store.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #111
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I've been trying to figure out how to handle furrys..
sometimes, taking things out of context is comedy gold.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #112
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

FM

I think I read in one of the forums that harbor goods start out expensive and then get cheaper as the game goes on.

Do you think it would be wise to focus on just one branch for the length of a game session? By spreading myself out among Toys, Textiles, and DIY, I've got about half of my allowed buildings made and I am still at RL1. Seems impossible to keep multiple shops stocked unless you go to all factories and no raw goods processing.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #113
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I read in one of the forums that harbor goods start out expensive and then get cheaper as the game goes on.

Do you think it would be wise to focus on just one branch for the length of a game session? By spreading myself out among Toys, Textiles, and DIY, I've got about half of my allowed buildings made and I am still at RL1. Seems impossible to keep multiple shops stocked unless you go to all factories and no raw goods processing.

That is what I am doing. just focusing on one branch for now.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #114
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I think that will be my plan once the reset happens, but I'll play around with a bunch of them now. I think playing around with farming might turn me off of that part of the game...at least the cotton farming will. The yield is 12/year which means I had to create 12 farms just to be able to make enough fabric to cover demand in my store. That doesn't even address the summer clothes. I don't really feel inspired to build 20+ cotton farms.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #115
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm having trouble figuring out how to process some materials - things like copper, precious metals, and bauxite - what kind of mill do I need to work on them? Steel doesn't seem to do it, and none of the other options look likely.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #116
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out how to process some materials - things like copper, precious metals, and bauxite - what kind of mill do I need to work on them? Steel doesn't seem to do it, and none of the other options look likely.

Welcome to one of the major pitfalls of the game. Copper Ore can be processed in the steel mill, but you have to get to Research Level 9 first. Precious Metals also get processed in a steel mill at Research Level 3. Bauxite requires Research Level 22 in the steel mill.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #117
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Ah so basically I'm just screwed by producing all these items then.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

nope, you can still forward them to the market and get some money out of them. I've had a bauxite mine since day one and have been selling bauxite quite often on the market. It's only useless for me as I cannot make it into anything else.

The iron ore mine is the one you can use to make steel...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 07-04-2008 at 11:39 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:40 AM   #119
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, as one could say, rtfm Seriously, look at the research level page on their wiki help page. It will help you understand where you can put more effort...

FM
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #120
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

double dola, and I'm proud to announce that the FrogCo line of cafes have officially opened their doors! We will first be offering coffees, cacaos and icecreams with hopes of adding breakfasts to our menus very soon.

FM
Old 07-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #121
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I read a post on the forums yesterday basically recommending that you stick to two industries. With just one, you could be hurt a lot if the demand goes down for your high margin products, and with three its too hard to advance.

http://forum.industrie-tycoon.de/ind...&threadID=3251

The farms are tedious but they allow unlimited supply. I have 7 oil fields so there's only so much I can do there. With farms I can use a combination of more farms + upgrades and produce as much as I want. I'm making a decent amount per turn now from the stores and sold about $2 million in raw materials that had built up overnight. I put most of it in cotton. I'm up to 16 farms now, some upgraded to produce 14 cotton, some 13, and some 12. I'm looking to open a second textiles store that's fully stocked in the next couple days.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #122
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I read a post on the forums yesterday basically recommending that you stick to two industries. With just one, you could be hurt a lot if the demand goes down for your high margin products, and with three its too hard to advance.

http://forum.industrie-tycoon.de/ind...&threadID=3251

The farms are tedious but they allow unlimited supply. I have 7 oil fields so there's only so much I can do there. With farms I can use a combination of more farms + upgrades and produce as much as I want. I'm making a decent amount per turn now from the stores and sold about $2 million in raw materials that had built up overnight. I put most of it in cotton. I'm up to 16 farms now, some upgraded to produce 14 cotton, some 13, and some 12. I'm looking to open a second textiles store that's fully stocked in the next couple days.

sounds like a good plan. I think two industries is probably easier to manage too...

Got a question for you regarding fields: can you upgrade them at any time, as long as the farm is active at either the seeding and the harvesting month?

FM
Old 07-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #123
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
sounds like a good plan. I think two industries is probably easier to manage too...

Got a question for you regarding fields: can you upgrade them at any time, as long as the farm is active at either the seeding and the harvesting month?

FM

Doing anything between planting and harvesting destroys the crop for that season is my understanding(I haven't yet tried to verify but I have read that). Cotton plants in month 5 and harvests in month 12, so i think if you start an upgrade in the middle it kills it for that year just as if it was inactive in the planting month. I have done all my upgrades during the off season, starting either in month 12 or 1 usually and haven't missed any crops as a result.

i'm assuming after a few upgrades they will start to take longer than the 5 month window that I have with Cotton, and upgrading then will require me to basically skip out on a full year of planting for that farm.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #124
Radii
Head Coach

well, I spent yesterday making sure I could fully stock my textile store, I was coming up a little short on knitting needles and the cotton stuff, and expanded enough to guarantee full sales every month and in some cases a little extra. I woke up with $4.5 million in the bank, and 350 iron and 100 steel to sell on the market.

Going for the "stick to two industries" strategy, I built a second textile shop and built about 15 new buildings to get it going. I'm making over $300,000 profit in the summer months before selling raw materials because Summer Clothes sells so well, so it looks like it should be very realistic to get in a number of product quality upgrades before the restart.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #125
Radii
Head Coach

Has anyone tried a furniture store? I was looking through the various shops to look at what types of raw materials are needed, and Furniture is very intriguing to me: http://en.wiki.industrie-tycoon.de/i...itle=Furniture

I couldnt' touch it with my current map, I can't even keep a do it yourself store stocked with lumber(I only have 2 log spots on my map). But Furniture is so dominated by lumber I'm tihnking on the reset I might try to get a map that has as many logs as possible and make that my startup industry, and make my second industry one of the ones that is heavy on farming, like textiles, or maybe grocery(though profit margins there seem pretty low so I'm not sure that's a good store to have ever...), or a cafe.

I also didn't realize how many shops open up only at later research levels. Jewelry is another interesting one: http://en.wiki.industrie-tycoon.de/i...?title=Jewelry

If you get to RL 29, gold and silver jewelry have HUGE profit margins and are just made from stuff you buy out of the harbor. Jewelry seems like with its minimal requirements, it might be something that's do-able along with two other industries down the road.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #126
daedalus
Pro Rookie

heh. my first attempt went up in flame. i have to pay better attention.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #127
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
well, I spent yesterday making sure I could fully stock my textile store, I was coming up a little short on knitting needles and the cotton stuff, and expanded enough to guarantee full sales every month and in some cases a little extra. I woke up with $4.5 million in the bank, and 350 iron and 100 steel to sell on the market.

Going for the "stick to two industries" strategy, I built a second textile shop and built about 15 new buildings to get it going. I'm making over $300,000 profit in the summer months before selling raw materials because Summer Clothes sells so well, so it looks like it should be very realistic to get in a number of product quality upgrades before the restart.

I'm still not a big fan of all of the buildings required to sell textiles. I've got 12 farms and that is only enough to be able to sell fabrics in the store or summer clothes, but not both. I'd basically have to double up to get both.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #128
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm still not a big fan of all of the buildings required to sell textiles. I've got 12 farms and that is only enough to be able to sell fabrics in the store or summer clothes, but not both. I'd basically have to double up to get both.

Textiles does look to require a commitment to a ton of buildings to do properly. Now that I've opened up a second textiles store to fully stock everything I would need to be producing 480 cotton a year. I'm making a very good amount, I had over $1 million in product sales in my stores last month(two textiles and one do it yourself), but its taking an awful lot of farms to do that. Last year I only produced about 250 cotton and ran out in June. This year I'm up to 325. I currently have 31 cotton farms in various stages of upgrade, and 76 buildings total.

It seems to be worth it though. According to the wiki, summer clothes has a production cost of 5k, and a normal selling price of 14k. If you get to RL6, Work Clothes(which take 1 leather and 1 fabrics, so even more cotton required), has a production cost of 7k and an average selling price of 22k, with a demand of 3 every month throughout the year. The only thing that comes close to those margins is furry pets before RL10, and they also take fabrics.

I'm really unsure as to whether this is a good shop to start with in a fresh game(where you can't sustain yourself selling iron ore until you get going), it takes a lot to get it going compared to do it yourself or toys or furniture or cafe. I'm still kind of thinking that furniture with a map with as many logs as possible, then textiles, and maybe trying to do something w/ jewelry later... but we still have almost an entire month to figure more out before that matters.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #129
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Textiles does look to require a commitment to a ton of buildings to do properly. Now that I've opened up a second textiles store to fully stock everything I would need to be producing 480 cotton a year. I'm making a very good amount, I had over $1 million in product sales in my stores last month(two textiles and one do it yourself), but its taking an awful lot of farms to do that. Last year I only produced about 250 cotton and ran out in June. This year I'm up to 325. I currently have 31 cotton farms in various stages of upgrade, and 76 buildings total.

It seems to be worth it though. According to the wiki, summer clothes has a production cost of 5k, and a normal selling price of 14k. If you get to RL6, Work Clothes(which take 1 leather and 1 fabrics, so even more cotton required), has a production cost of 7k and an average selling price of 22k, with a demand of 3 every month throughout the year. The only thing that comes close to those margins is furry pets before RL10, and they also take fabrics.

I'm really unsure as to whether this is a good shop to start with in a fresh game(where you can't sustain yourself selling iron ore until you get going), it takes a lot to get it going compared to do it yourself or toys or furniture or cafe. I'm still kind of thinking that furniture with a map with as many logs as possible, then textiles, and maybe trying to do something w/ jewelry later... but we still have almost an entire month to figure more out before that matters.

You actually hit my plan pretty much dead on, I currently am doing toys + Textiles as my two branches as I have noticed the margin for profit on alot of the early textile products. I think it might be rough getting started though with textiles having to wait a full year for your product. My plan was to start off with toys and quickly branch out to textiles + toys after reset.

I started working on a spreadsheet with margins of profit for the various products in different branches, but your comment leads me to believe that you already have done so? Do you have anything like that available, or was that observation based on just looking around mostly?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #130
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I started working on a spreadsheet with margins of profit for the various products in different branches, but your comment leads me to believe that you already have done so? Do you have anything like that available, or was that observation based on just looking around mostly?

http://en.wiki.industrie-tycoon.de/i...?title=Textile

The wiki pages for each industry show them. I'm not sure how variable they are though, supply and demand(and current market selling prices) are constantly changing all the prices everywhere, so I'm not sure if those numbers wlil totally change on a reset or not.

For textiles, I don't think one could start with cotton in the first year, my thinking would be wool, knitting needles, and winter clothes. If its possible to start churning out those 3 with the startup money, then it might be viable to start there?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:43 AM   #131
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
My plan was to start off with toys and quickly branch out to textiles + toys after reset.
like you said, it's hard to go straight to textiles. what about furniture as a bill-paying option until textiles is possible?
Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #132
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
like you said, it's hard to go straight to textiles. what about furniture as a bill-paying option until textiles is possible?

Furniture at the early stages didn't seem like too much of a profit margin.. I haven't worked my way through the full wiki making my spreadsheet, but halfway through it seemed like toys was the best early stage business if you just want bang for your buck.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 AM   #133
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Toys are an easy way to fill a shop and get it up to full value. Producing at 100% for marbles and tricycles will bring in decent money and will raise the store value. Moving to textiles after that may be the way to go.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:40 PM   #134
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Yup, toys are good. I'd been producing to stock for a little while with only one toyshop and just opened a second one this morning. Will be bringing up the production level of my factories but for now while only selling the overstock I had, I just cleared a profit of 459k in my last month. I'm this close to building that research building and improving the quality level of some of my products... We'll see where we go from there...

FM
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #135
daedalus
Pro Rookie

ugh. apparently, i still haven't figured it out since my factory does not seem to be producing anything. i just have the warning symbol on there but i cannot seem to figure out why.

i tried to look for a place to set my lumber for sale and could not find it since i cannot find how to. i did finally just used the "send" to send some off. ugh. at least i am no longer negative at the moment.

re-rtfm, i supposed, but getting frustrated.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #136
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
ugh. apparently, i still haven't figured it out since my factory does not seem to be producing anything. i just have the warning symbol on there but i cannot seem to figure out why.

i tried to look for a place to set my lumber for sale and could not find it since i cannot find how to. i did finally just used the "send" to send some off. ugh. at least i am no longer negative at the moment.

Lumber will sell in a Do It Yourself store. Lumber is one of the products you can sell directly or that you can use to make other stuff. If you're trying to sell the lumber in a store, then your sawmill needs to be set to output the goods to the Product Warehouse. If your lumber is to be used by anothre factory to make something else, then your sawmill needs to be set to the Raw Goods Warehouse.

Basically, if the output of any farm/factory/buliding is to be sold in a store, make sure it goes to product warehouse, if its a resource to be used by something else, raw goods.

The other thing you mentioned is the "Foward Goods" option, which isn't named all that well. If stuff is sitting in your warehouses, its for you to use yourself. If you don't have a use for an item, then you can sell it on the market to other players, that's the Forward goods link you see next to each resource in your warehouse.

If you're getting that yield sign thingy and aren't sure why, feel free to post what type of factory you're seeing it for and we can help figure out what needs to be set up!

Also, while the full PDF manual is helpful, some of it is confusing/probably poorly translated from German. The Wiki helped me figure out the links between different resources/products a lot better than anything else:

http://en.wiki.industrie-tycoon.de/i...itle=Main_Page
Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #137
daedalus
Pro Rookie

after chatting with frogger, i realized that i was a 'tard and forgot to set up a mill to convert the log to lumber. so . . . me dumb.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #138
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I built my research building this morning, after building a second café. Now with two cafés and two toyshops, I was clearing 550k per month on clear profit (i.e. without any trading).

The way the research building works is with a level 0 building, you can improve the quality of any RL0 product at one of three rate:
1 QL per 10 WUs (or world updates, or months if you want)
5 QL per 40 WUs
6 QL per 48 WUs

Important thing to know is that for one finished product to be of a certainl quality level, it needs to be improved to that quality level, through the research building, but also all of its components need to be improved to that level. I think I goofed up a bit since I first decided to improve my wheat. My idea was to improve wheat, then bread, then eggs and finally improve breakfast, but breakfast is an RL1 product. The big ouch is that upgrading the research buidling to level 1 costs 5M... hrm, only 2 months have passed so I might go and swithc to improving coffee or something else...

FM
Old 07-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #139
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

What happened to Iron Ore? The price has been falling like crazy. Are there too many people producing it now, or is there just a giant surplus from over the weekend?
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #140
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I wouldn't know, I'm using all mine to make steel, then cans to make coffee

Maybe now's the time to stock up though...

FM
Old 07-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #141
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
What happened to Iron Ore? The price has been falling like crazy. Are there too many people producing it now, or is there just a giant surplus from over the weekend?

Steel has been going down as well. My understanding is that if you sell something lower than the normal price, the price goes down, and if you sell something higher than the normal price, the price goes up. So if the normal price is 3500 and the only stuff that is selling is the 3300 iron ore on the market, the price will start to trend down towards 3300.

I'll be up to Research Level 5 in about 3 hours, I'm shooting for RL6 so that I can make Work Clothes in my textiles shops. I don't really have a plan after that, that should be nice and lucrative, perhaps it'll be Research Plant time after that.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #142
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Steel has been going down as well. My understanding is that if you sell something lower than the normal price, the price goes down, and if you sell something higher than the normal price, the price goes up. So if the normal price is 3500 and the only stuff that is selling is the 3300 iron ore on the market, the price will start to trend down towards 3300.

I've had some ore on the market at $3500 since last night. They had been selling pretty quickly at that price, but I see a bunch of people have some listed for less than that. Not sure if it makes sense to pull it and re-list it, or just ride it out.

Quote:
I'll be up to Research Level 5 in about 3 hours, I'm shooting for RL6 so that I can make Work Clothes in my textiles shops. I don't really have a plan after that, that should be nice and lucrative, perhaps it'll be Research Plant time after that.

Work clothes are nice and profitable, though the demand seems pretty low. Speaking of demand, I am still having trouble figuring it out. About half of my items sell more than the listed demand, and the other half sell right at the listed demand. I suppose it makes sense that the seasonal demand is just a forecast, but it makes planning tough. All part of the fun I guess.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #143
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I've had some ore on the market at $3500 since last night. They had been selling pretty quickly at that price, but I see a bunch of people have some listed for less than that. Not sure if it makes sense to pull it and re-list it, or just ride it out.

you'll have to pay the listing fee(or transport fee, I think they call it?) to put it back up again, so that does make it an interesting question. The only time I did it was when I was still struggling with cash, and selling the steel I had on the market might have been the difference between waking up bankrupt or not

Quote:
Work clothes are nice and profitable, though the demand seems pretty low. Speaking of demand, I am still having trouble figuring it out. About half of my items sell more than the listed demand, and the other half sell right at the listed demand. I suppose it makes sense that the seasonal demand is just a forecast, but it makes planning tough. All part of the fun I guess.

I'm starting to question work clothes a little now after selling 50 cotton on the market within an hour for $14,000 per. Work Clothes should sell for more than that but it will cost over $4.5 million for RL6 too, so it'd take awhile to make up for that cost.

I read some stuff on year round demand based on quality levels the overall SuDe demand in the world for the item(if there's a worldwide shortage then people will buy whenever they can get them is the theory), and if your quality is higher than the average world quality then people are more likely to buy from your store so you may be more likely to sell stuff year round, but that once supply catches up with demand its more likely to follow the seaonal demands.

However, there seem to be tons of unknowns and formulae that go into figuring that out so its not as simple as supply/demand + quality level. I wish I could say I actually understand it but I don't, just a little of the theory based on reading year old message board discussions.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:32 PM   #144
daedalus
Pro Rookie

anybody need QL0/RL0 iron ores? if not, i'll sell it on the market.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #145
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hit my 100 buildings faster than I assumed I would.. I guess now it is time to maximize my profit a bit better, do a few upgrades and sink the rest into research.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #146
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
anybody need QL0/RL0 iron ores? if not, i'll sell it on the market.

I could probably use some as I've gone into iron ore deficit (i.e. I need more than I can mine out at the moment) and I don't see it changing as I try making more toys.

FM
Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #147
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I could probably use some as I've gone into iron ore deficit (i.e. I need more than I can mine out at the moment) and I don't see it changing as I try making more toys.

FM
400 units sent at 2750. hopefully, i did not set that too expensive. if you need i can set up more iron mines. i have a total of 5 nodes available on my map.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:33 AM   #148
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I decided to do something either genius or foolish.. not sure which...

I was making tons of things like wooden locomotives and knitting needles that sell only for so-so markup... I tore down all of those buildings (as well as some of my buildings for marbles, etc) to create some extra space.. (about 20-25 buildings torn down).. I then built a bunch more cotton farms and some factories to make more fabrics, summer clothes, winter clothes, etc instead to get more profit from it hopefully. (Also opened up another textile store for the extra amount of goods coming through)...

Oh.. and I also chose to do the 6QL research upgrade for cotton...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #149
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Does production stop for 48 WUs during that upgrade?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #150
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does production stop for 48 WUs during that upgrade?

No, you just pay research fee for the 48 WUs I believe. At least according to my current buildings, they are still planted for this harvest in december