Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #101
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
yup. Domenech is an idiot.

At this point, I'm wondering when Spain and Holland will self-destruct - it wouldn't be a major international tournament without it.
Spain in the quarterfinals, us in the semis. Incredible, we're going to let Romania cakewalk into the final!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #102
cougarfreak
College Starter

If you're the dutch, do you rest up in your third game?
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just heard from the announcers on the euro games today that paraguay is 2-0 up on brazil
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are you kidding me?!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #105
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holee shit, we're gonna have PK's in a Group Stage Game, what a howler.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #106
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #107
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

What a fucking amazing game. Can't match this.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #108
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Holee shit, we're gonna have PK's in a Group Stage Game, what a howler.

Uh no. We are not. I don't think. This 2nd half has been amazing
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #109
MIJB#19
Coordinator

OMG, what a dramatic game.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #110
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

WTF? DID THE GOALIE JUST GET SENT OFF!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #111
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Goalie sent off! WTF next?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #112
miami_fan
Coordinator

What was that all about?!
Old 06-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #113
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Nihat's golas or not, Tuncay gets my vote for player of the game.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #114
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

This ref is a fucking idiot. Seriously.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #115
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Guy said something nasty the goalie, goalie wigs out and pushes the Czech attacker, Czech attacker sells it hard, ref sees it. red card.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #116
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I'm glad I watched that 2nd half. Surreal performance.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #117
Sgran
High School Varsity

Hands down, the craziest match I've ever seen. Even better than Slovenia-Yugoslavia in 2000. But I have to say that even with 75 minutes gone I knew that Turkey would at least make it close. But that crazy ending?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #118
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
This ref is a fucking idiot. Seriously.
Nah, he had no choice but to sent him off. If somebody has to be called that, it's Volkan for putting a 3-2 victory at risk.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #119
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Guy said something nasty the goalie, goalie wigs out and pushes the Czech attacker, Czech attacker sells it hard, ref sees it. red card.

But that's been consistent. Any extra-curricular and you're done.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #120
Celeval
Pro Starter

Instant Classic? I may need to find and DVR this one.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #121
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
Hands down, the craziest match I've ever seen. Even better than Slovenia-Yugoslavia in 2000. But I have to say that even with 75 minutes gone I knew that Turkey would at least make it close. But that crazy ending?
Yeah, the Czechs were totally choking, as soon as the 2-1 fell, I was getting ready for the spot kicks. Craziness that they even avoided those. I'll take my hat off for Turkey's incredible comeback aftersuch a pathetic first half.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #122
miami_fan
Coordinator

A smile comes to my face every time I see a team get a goal scored on them while they are begging for an offsides call like that last Turkish goal.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #123
MrBug708
Head Coach

Great second half
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #124
samifan24
Pro Starter

Wow, what an amazing finish!
Old 06-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #125
scooter
High School Varsity

All credit to the Turks, they played an inspirational second half. But I've got to say, I've Tivoed the game and went back and watched the play where Polak got kicked in the head in the Turk penalty box about four times. That was a dangerous play by the Turk defender (Polak was not diving and therefore not "being brave" - the defenders foot ends up above his own head). That should have been a penalty, 3-0 and game over. If it had been hockey, the Turks would have had to kill off a 4 minute penalty!

The officiating in both games today did not live up to a European CHAMPIONSHIPS standard (best refs in Europe - pfft!).
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #126
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
All credit to the Turks, they played an inspirational second half. But I've got to say, I've Tivoed the game and went back and watched the play where Polak got kicked in the head in the Turk penalty box about four times. That was a dangerous play by the Turk defender (Polak was not diving and therefore not "being brave" - the defenders foot ends up above his own head). That should have been a penalty, 3-0 and game over. If it had been hockey, the Turks would have had to kill off a 4 minute penalty!

The officiating in both games today did not live up to a European CHAMPIONSHIPS standard (best refs in Europe - pfft!).

Isn't that by rule an indirect free kick? Or am I thinking of something else?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #127
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post

never in a million years would that PK be given. in any tournament, ever.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM   #128
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Isn't that by rule an indirect free kick? Or am I thinking of something else?

Except that it happened inside the 6-yard box. You are correct though, it would only be an indirect free kick from the spot of the foul (I'm not sure why, getting kicked in the head is far more dangerous than a tackle from behind). I think I've seen indirect free kicks taken from there but it is a nightmare to setup for the referee as you essentially end up with about 18 players in the goalmouth.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #129
cougarfreak
College Starter

What in god's name? The ref just sent off both the German and Austrian coach.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #130
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
What in god's name? The ref just sent off both the German and Austrian coach.

Yeah, that was crazy. I've never watched much international football before, aside from the World Cup, and I never played much as a kid, but why would the ref ever do this? It's not like the coaches were fighting or even screaming at each other ala the NHL playoffs.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #131
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quite a blast by Ballack.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #132
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I wouldn't mind the Dutch taking a dive either to knock those two teams out.

I would. With the way the French attacked during the game, it'd be shame to see them get bounced in favor of a more boring Romania side. I like me some entertaining football.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #133
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Excellent, we're pretty much starting the second-stringers tonight. That should keep all but three players happy for now. Henk Timmer (goalkeeper #3), Jan Vennegoor (striker #3) and Mario Melchiot (right back #2, but injured) are the only guys who are kept on the bench. Only Khalid Boulahrouz and Orlando Engelaar are staying from the first two games. That is, if you consider a front four of Robin van Persie, Ibrahim Afellay, Arjen Robben and Klaas Jan Huntelaar as second string.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #134
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Good game by the "backups" and both Melchiot and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink got to play. The only unfortunate thing about this is that Italy got through but hopefully Spain will take care of them and really tire themselves out in the process
Old 06-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #135
BishopMVP
Coordinator

And France is done. Apparently Raymond Domenech misread the Tarot cards.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm not looking at how today's games went, but I love how they're obsessed with calling cassano the "enfant terrible of italian soccer" - LOL
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #137
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I would. With the way the French attacked during the game, it'd be shame to see them get bounced in favor of a more boring Romania side. I like me some entertaining football.
ummm . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isiddiqui View Post
Well... bunkering isn't all that bad... it works for the Italians . Though I think they did well against the #1 in the world. I remember reading that before the friendly at Wembley some England players said when they shook hands, some Americans' hands were shaking. Perhaps the bunker ideal was to keep the players from feeling too scared? Who knows.
who what now?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:34 AM   #138
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Excellent, we're pretty much starting the second-stringers tonight. That should keep all but three players happy for now. Henk Timmer (goalkeeper #3), Jan Vennegoor (striker #3) and Mario Melchiot (right back #2, but injured) are the only guys who are kept on the bench. Only Khalid Boulahrouz and Orlando Engelaar are staying from the first two games. That is, if you consider a front four of Robin van Persie, Ibrahim Afellay, Arjen Robben and Klaas Jan Huntelaar as second string.
i don't know, playing the glassmen (robben and van persie) in a relatively meaningless game seems silly.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #139
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The French really just never showed up to the tournament. Italy could easily turn it around and win this whole thing. I think everyone could end up regretting that Romania couldn't get it done against the Dutch backups.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #140
Icy
Pro Starter

Spain is going to play 11 backups today vs Greece, still will watch it or i would lose my Spanish citizenship.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #141
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
i don't know, playing the glassmen (robben and van persie) in a relatively meaningless game seems silly.
Yeah, agreed there. Feel free to add Ibrahim Afellay to that list of men of glass as well. As far as I know, Van Basten's thinking was giving them another friendly game to get some extra action before the quarterfinals.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #142
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Oh boy, Guus Hiddink does it again!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #143
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ummm . . . who what now?

I think you failed to comprehend the context there. Bunkering isn't that bad... when you want to win a game.

However, exciting football is better to watch.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #144
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Oh boy, Guus Hiddink does it again!

Yep, and Russia looked AMAZING! Russia - Holland may be end to end action. It'll be fun .
Old 06-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #145
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm pissed - I tried to tape spain-greece but they flipped the games/channels or whatever so I taped sweeden-russia

*pouts*
Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #146
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'm pissed - I tried to tape spain-greece but they flipped the games/channels or whatever so I taped sweeden-russia

*pouts*

Yeah, I noticed that... I was home because I had a doc's appointment and took the rest of the day off (not to watch soccer or anything ) and say they moved the games. Kind of crappy in this day of Tivos and DVRs to do that without prior warning.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 AM   #147
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I think you failed to comprehend the context there. Bunkering isn't that bad... when you want to win a game.
i think bunkering is bad, both as a strategy and for the game.

the issue could be in our definitions of bunkering. i think of bunkering as having everybody but, say, one striker in the defensive third, behind the ball and hope for a draw. a team with some decent long-range shots and/or a decent plan B (read: not the fucking gooners . . . bastards) could, if not should, eventually beat you.

i do not define it as playing a very tight formation and cautious football, for example, say maybe the greeks in euro '04 or what we generally think of as italian-style of footie. i still think it's day old dog turd and crap for footie as a sport but not nearly as disgusting.
Quote:
However, exciting football is better to watch.
or, better yet, the only footie worth watching. i don't even need "exciting". just at least attacking minded footie with some above average skill would happifies me.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #148
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

*pouts*

You did not miss anything, besides the last 15 minutes of Spain dominating with Greece players totally inside their own area.

Greece is the anti-football, not any skill besides headers on strategic fouls, then just bunkering, stopping the play all the time with fouls, falling down on purpose, etc etc. It was an ugly game with all the stoppage generated by Greece trying to kill the time as they got the early lead with a good header goalfrom a fault. Luckily Spainish backups (10 of the starting 11 were usual backups) played a great second half despite the efforts of Greece to make an ugly game.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:10 AM   #149
3ric
College Starter

Sweden playing for the draw was a sure way of losing the game - Russia showed us how it should be done, but I'm afraid the current management will stick around and continue in their set ways.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i think bunkering is bad, both as a strategy and for the game.

the issue could be in our definitions of bunkering. i think of bunkering as having everybody but, say, one striker in the defensive third, behind the ball and hope for a draw. a team with some decent long-range shots and/or a decent plan B (read: not the fucking gooners . . . bastards) could, if not should, eventually beat you.

i do not define it as playing a very tight formation and cautious football, for example, say maybe the greeks in euro '04 or what we generally think of as italian-style of footie. i still think it's day old dog turd and crap for footie as a sport but not nearly as disgusting.

Most people would call what the Greeks play as bunkering. And it's been a fairly successful strategy for them (compare their results with their talent level). It can be very successful for a team that is totally outmatched talent wise.