Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #101
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
day the earth stood still made 30.4m. not bad on my guess. tough week coming up:

7 pounds
despereaux
yes man

its either the kids and animation, or carrey in a seemingly liar liar sequel. pretty tough.

ill go despereaux at 35m, but i think yes man will keep it close.

im changing to yes man at 31m. weather may make it tougher for people to get out, especially the young kids that would see despereaux.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #102
Pyser
Pro Rookie

oops, been out of town, forgot to update. missed a week last week, and nothing new opened, so predicting marley and me to repeat would be cheap.

and a few weeks ago i was pretty far over. yes man was #1, but only made 18m.

will return next week for bride wars and such.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #103
Pyser
Pro Rookie

bride wars and the unborn open this week, going against 2 time champ marley and me. i think bride wars and marley are the same audience, so ill go unborn at 14m for now.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #104
Pyser
Pro Rookie

gran torino also goes wide this week. that factors into things and changes them. that, coupled with playoffs bodes bad for unborn. changing to bride wars at 15m.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #105
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Looks like Gran Torino for the solid win: 29.4m. Go Clint.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #106
Pyser
Pro Rookie

badly underestimated, as the top 3 movies each topped my prediction for #1

gran torino took it easily at 29m.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #107
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How was it that you and I had the exact thought at the exact same time on a late Monday?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #108
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ha! weird.

opening this week:

hotel for dogs
my bloody valentine
paul blart: mall cop

i think valentine could be up there, but ill go repeat. theres nothing really to see and i hear its cold out there (not sure what my logic is there, but hey). 17m.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #109
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this is the kind of weekend that makes me want to quit this game.

what the fuck is wrong with this country?

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - $39m
Old 01-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #110
Pyser
Pro Rookie

dola, that includes mlk day.

$34m in the 3 day. still insane.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #111
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Yeah i saw the numbers for Paul Blart and had to say WTF. I comment frequently about who the heck put up the money for this POS to be made. Paul Blart was one of those movies and then it goes out and makes money.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #112
hoopsguy
General Manager

And, sadly, it encourages movie people to pay Kevin James more for his next picture. Which is not likely to be an Academny-quality script either.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #113
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

$21 of those Mall Cop dollars came from us (I'm sorry to say).

The movie worked for both my wife & my son, a lot less so for me. I will give it credit for one thing though, at least there were relatively funny moments that weren't in the trailer.

I thought the first 1/3rd of the movie or so bordered on unbearable as they tried to establish what a loser he is & set up the romantic subplot. The rest was more tolerable although I'm not sure what it says about a comedy whose best moments are the (highly unrealistic) action sequences.

On the bright side, the female lead is a Jane Krakowski doppleganger that the camera liked pretty well so it had that going for it.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #114
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this weeks openings:

inkheart
underworld 3

couple things. one, oscar nominations came out, which could skew some things a little bit. and 2, paul blart is a fucking force to be reckoned with.

even with a big drop, i think its blart vs underworld 3. my heart says underworld, which is why im going blart - because he's not beating me twice. 20m to the fat man.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #115
Pyser
Pro Rookie

haha, blart. you didnt get me again.

blart with another win - 21.6m. underworld 3 - 20.8m.

3peat?
Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Not a lot of family friendlies out there, so I think Blart has a good chance to stay on top. Taken and the Uninvited have both been backed by surprisingly massive ad campaigns, but on top of their ratings, I don't know that Taken has the draw with Liam Neeson as the star, and the Univited is competing with Underworld and The Unborn in the horror genre.

Blart seems to be getting decent buzz, so I think they stay on top one more week.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-30-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #117
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im gonna go with taken at 16m. i just really dont want to see blart win 3 in a row.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
im gonna go with taken at 16m. i just really dont want to see blart win 3 in a row.

You'll get my money in your figures. I am leaving to go check it out shortly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Taken wins with $24.6 million through Saturday but more interesting to me was a quote I saw in the story.

"Taken" follows Neeson as a former CIA operative trying to track down a group of kidnappers who want to sell his daughter into the sex slave trade.

"We are thrilled. It's an all-audience movie,"

I'm really having a hard time knowing whether to scratch my head, laugh, or cry at those two things being in the same sentence. I'm pretty sure I know what the guy was trying to say - male & female viewers in several age cells - but it just really made my eyes spin when I saw that description of the plot matched with "all-audience movie".
Old 02-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Taken wins with $24.6 million through Saturday but more interesting to me was a quote I saw in the story.

"Taken" follows Neeson as a former CIA operative trying to track down a group of kidnappers who want to sell his daughter into the sex slave trade.

"We are thrilled. It's an all-audience movie,"

I'm really having a hard time knowing whether to scratch my head, laugh, or cry at those two things being in the same sentence. I'm pretty sure I know what the guy was trying to say - male & female viewers in several age cells - but it just really made my eyes spin when I saw that description of the plot matched with "all-audience movie".

Yeah, not quite an all-audience movie.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #121
Pyser
Pro Rookie

24m is a surprisingly high total. being off by 8m or 33% is kinda embarrassing, but then im always off a lot, so i dont feel too bad.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #122
Pyser
Pro Rookie

tough week to call. opening:

pink panther 2
coraline
push
he's just not that into you

you have action, kids, comedy and romance. all pull pretty well. gonna rule out coraline because it looks a bit to scary for most kids. and push because, come on, its a heroes rip off, which is an x-men ripoff. so pink panther 2 vs not into you

are women excited for valentines day? probably. on the other hand, pink panther 1 sucked....despite my love for steve martin, who the hell is looking forward to this?

i think im going not into you, at 23 mil. but i think a lot of the new releases will be close.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #123
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and the women take it, at 27.7m.

taken held very strong, coming in 2nd at 20m. not much of a drop at all. interesting.

opening this week:

confessions of a shopaholic
friday the 13th
the international

predictions later in the week
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #124
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was a little surprised at how this week turned out, although it was every bit as competitive all around as you figured. I saw a Coraline late matinee on Sunday, and the theater was pretty much packed. I wasn't surprised to see it did well.

Taken is a surprise, too. I think it's getting decent "popcorn flick" word of mouth from action fans, and Push was crapped on, so that's probably what happened there.

I have to think Friday the 13th is going to pretty much grab the entire horror segment this weekend, and will probably get a lot of "first date Valentines Day scary jump into my arms" couples as well. The more serious couples will probably keep Not That Into You strong, and make it a two horse race.

But that's completely thinking off the top of my head.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #125
Pyser
Pro Rookie

friday the 13th on the 13th. come on. gotta go with it.

26m.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #126
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im going to have to start reminding myself this isnt the price is right, and that i can go over with no penalty.

friday the 13th made a staggering $45m, a record for a horror movie.

also, taken made $22m. it basically has not gone down in 3 weeks!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 AM   #127
Pyser
Pro Rookie

madea. 30m.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #128
Pyser
Pro Rookie

and it made 41m. biggest opening of the year (friday the 13th was a 4 day weekend, apparently)
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #129
Pyser
Pro Rookie

some 3d jonas brothers movie opens this week. thats about all you need to know in terms of who is gonna win the weekend. time to go big: 45m.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #130
Pyser
Pro Rookie

my god do i suck at this. whered all the jonas fans go? madea repeats at 16.5. jonas made 12.7. embarrassing.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #131
Pyser
Pro Rookie

watchmen. id like others to guess this week if they arent reading.

im going 59m...because sin city burned me bad the last time i did this thread.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #132
Pyser
Pro Rookie

pretty close. it made 55.2

now how big will it drop? im guessing a lot...later this week
Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 PM   #133
Pyser
Pro Rookie

race to witch mountain. 36m is the guess.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #134
Pyser
Pro Rookie

witch won at only 24m
Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 AM   #135
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i love you man, duplicity and knowing all open this week. pretty tough to call

im going i love you man, since its the one id want to see the most, and thats all i can speak for. 23m.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 AM   #136
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nic cage takes it at 24m. slightly surprising i guess. i hope its a comeback for him.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #137
Pyser
Pro Rookie

monsters vs alien should be huge. 53m.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #138
Pyser
Pro Rookie

yup. 58.2m. biggest opening of the year.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #139
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, this week seemed pretty easy to call. Nice hit on your numbers guess, though.

Looking ahead to next week, seems pretty interesting. Monsters & Aliens should still grab a sizable portion of the market, being animated and kid friendly, even with a huge dropoff. But Fast & Furious, with some commercial success in the series, returns with probably its most commercially appealing entry since the original, with Diesel and Walker returning (and others).

Problem is, neither of these guys have shown they are too good at picking winners, particularly Walker. Diesel drops in every now and then with a surpisingly solid hit or two (XXX series, The Pacifier), so maybe his return to the franchise is a sign that they got their act together a little better in this one. Or it could be two guys not getting as much play trying to re-energize their careers, and not really having much choice but go back to something like this.

All said, I mean that if this thing is lambasted and people are meh about it as a result, it could get a decent franchise pop at about $20 M and then just disappear. I don't think $20 M beats M&A's second week take, which I anticipate being in the mid-20s at worst, and probably a bit higher. It doesn't help that I am not even sure the studio is pushing F & F 4 much (haven't seen as much ads for it as I would expect a week before release).

So I would lean M&A next week.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #140
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i think f&f will do much more than 20. nice to see someone thats not me in here!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i think f&f will do much more than 20. nice to see someone thats not me in here!

We'll see. Not encouraged to get to Monday afternoon before release, and we still don't have even one review logged on RottenTomatoes. I would guess hyou know what that means--the ole studio kiss of death, trying to start the "negative hype" late so they can get a decent weekend pop before news gets around that it sucks.

I may not say much, but your thread is one of the few I check the Dynasty forum for. So rest assured you have at least one reader.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #142
Pyser
Pro Rookie

im sticking with f&f4 at 34m. but i do think aliens vs monsters will be up there too.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #143
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
i think f&f will do much more than 20.

what in the holy fucking shit??? are these articles right? f&f made 72.5 fucking million dollars??!?!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
what in the holy fucking shit??? are these articles right? f&f made 72.5 fucking million dollars??!?!

I'm not surprised...now.

I went to see it Friday night. It's a busy theater I went to in LA suburbia (OC), but still not necessarily one where you have to worry about sellouts. They had F&F going in four theaters. I walked up at 8:40, and the 9:00 one was front row seating only, and the 9:30 one already had a line that would fill half the theater. I went to the same theater on opening night for the much-hyped Watchmen and was able to get a decent seat walking up about 15 minutes before. Mind you, the Watchmen theater also ended up pretty full, but F&F was on a whole other level.

Seems likely this one will get a fifth installment if they can get the stars to come back (and, no, #4 wasn't particularly great).

Old 04-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #145
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Shocked at all of the records FF set.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:26 AM   #146
Pyser
Pro Rookie

ill take f&f again at 36m.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #147
Pyser
Pro Rookie

underestimated hannah montana, which won at 33m. f&f4 had 27m.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #148
Pyser
Pro Rookie

opening this week:

crank 2 (FUCK YES!)
17 again
state of play

i think only 17 again will come close to cracking 20. same exact fan base as hannah montana, though. but ill go 17 again at 17m, for symmetry's sake. (but my heart wants crank 2)
Old 04-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #149
Pyser
Pro Rookie

17 again took it at 23.7. pretty solid

opening this week:

obsessed
fighting
the soloist

i have no idea, but either obsessed or fighting will take it. i guess ill go with the chick one - obsessed at 17m.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #150
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Don't think I am going out on a limb suggesting a certain wolfish movie will take the prize this weekend.