Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC gets their 14th commit for 2009 from Athlete (safety?) James Boyd who is a 4 star player.

They also got their 1st commit for 2010 from Athlete (RB) Dillon Baxter who looked very good in the Rising Star Camp this week. Great receiver out of the backfield.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-27-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #102
bhlloy
Coordinator

Boyd is a QB/DE in HS (strange combination). Everything I have heard points to him being a DE in college.

Which IMO, is a really bad sign that Nick Perry might not be qualifying, seeing as Kennard, Roh and Keenan Graham are still on the board and USC has a great shot at each one of them.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just don't see Boyd as a DE in College. He played well there in the RSC, but he is so thin. I could see him at linebacker, but he'll need to put on a lot of weight to be a DE.

As far as Nick, I'm sure you read that he has to take summer classes in order to qualify

Devon Kennard was incredible at the RSC, and I think we've almost got him convinced to come to USC.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #104
DeToxRox
Head Coach

UM is after Graham hard as well as Roh. I think we get Graham and SC gets Roh although Roh has family here. Still I think he's a darkhorse
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #105
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Boyd is a QB/DE in HS (strange combination). Everything I have heard points to him being a DE in college.

Which IMO, is a really bad sign that Nick Perry might not be qualifying, seeing as Kennard, Roh and Keenan Graham are still on the board and USC has a great shot at each one of them.
Not so unusual in high school, actually.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #106
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
BYU has a few of his relatives on the team/or committed, which works in their favor. That said, Carroll has a way of getting in there last minute and working whatever magic he works.

I think it is 50/50 right now with BYU having the advantage of Teo's whole family behind BYU, while Kavienga's was split. USC's advantage....well they are USC.

With three 4 star commits already locked in for 2009 and 2-3 more likely to sign, Teo would make this BYU's best class ever.

I definitely agree with you here. It's going to be an amazing class for BYU, and I can't wait for the season to start.

And landing the two we did yesterday was another big win.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #107
mckerney
Coordinator

Gophers finally add another, 6'7" 280 lb offensive lineman Brooks Michel from Indiana picked them over NC State.

News from the 2008 Minnesota class, signee Sam Maresh underwent successful heart surgery to replace a valve defect that was found in his physical prior to starting summer workouts. It was only required that they cracked 1/3 the sternum, so he's hoping to be able to play next season Maresh was one of the top recruits in the 2008 class and was expected to start at MLB this year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #108
mckerney
Coordinator

Mansfield, Texas RB Eric Stephens is expected to commit to Minnesota. Rivals 4 star and #5 all-purpose back, ranked at 196 he would join Hasan Lipscomb as the 2nd Rivals 250 RB from Texas to commit to Minnesota in the 2009 class.

Last edited by mckerney : 06-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #109
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Some Illini related news, punter Dan Orseske was offered by Minnesota and thinks he'll get an Illinois offer soon. He wants to commit this week, could likely be chosing between Minnesota and Illinois if they come through with an offer.

Orseske expected to commit to Minnesota tomorrow. I don't think he wound up getting the offer from Illinois.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #110
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

4 star athlete (WR/DB) Byron Moore officially changes his committment from UCLA to USC after attending the recent rising star camp and being impressed by all of the talent that USC is acquiring in this class. He is now the 15th commit.

Moore said that USC was always his dream school and once they offered him a scholarship last week, he had to follow his heart.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-30-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #111
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Devon Kennard was incredible at the RSC, and I think we've almost got him convinced to come to USC.

doesn't USC already have 2-3 DE commits already and with E.G. and lots of young talent on the team that would be a big backlog to fight through to get some playing time.

BTW he announced his top 5 last night on a local sports show

USC, ASU, Texas and 2 others I can't remember right now.

I'd say it's between ASU & USC though.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC has some DE's, but Kennard absolutely killed it at the RSC. He was going against top tackle prospects and beating them every single time. With Nick Perry's status being questionable due to academics, I think Kennard could be a huge contributor right away. USC likes to rotate 4 DE's throughout the game. Since I posted that there are even more signs that Kennard is a very heavy lean to USC and maybe a silent commit who just wants to make a big splash on announcement day.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-30-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #113
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I hate USC.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #114
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Speaking of DE's, Roh visited Michigan and loved it. He said UM is at the top of his list right now and he will be taking an official visit in the fall. He or Graham are must gets.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #115
SnDvls
Pro Starter

damn you guys...back off the arizona kids, ASU wants and needs them all

thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM   #116
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
damn you guys...back off the arizona kids, ASU wants and needs them all

thanks

Minnesota would like Taylor Lewan.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #117
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Minnesota would like Taylor Lewan.

ya ASU's been pretty high and hot on him too.

Erickson is getting some good recruits to take a look @ ASU, hopefully we'll land some of them as the talent in AZ is at its best this year.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #118
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
ya ASU's been pretty high and hot on him too.

Erickson is getting some good recruits to take a look @ ASU, hopefully we'll land some of them as the talent in AZ is at its best this year.

First heard about Lewan when he came up to the junior day and possibly camp last year, then this year he earned an offer the at camp the day before he got his ASU camp offer. His dad was on the team here (though I think as just a walk on, haven't found him on the old team roster on the Gopher's website), so hopefully that can help us. He'd fit well with the bigger linemen Minnesota is going for in switching to the spread after the smaller and quicker linemen from the previous zone blocking rush offense.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #119
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
4 star athlete (WR/DB) Byron Moore officially changes his committment from UCLA to USC after attending the recent rising star camp and being impressed by all of the talent that USC is acquiring in this class. He is now the 15th commit.

Moore said that USC was always his dream school and once they offered him a scholarship last week, he had to follow his heart.

Actually he was just afraid to compete
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #120
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

Worries about the length of tenure for the weasel is what it was...

Last edited by MacroGuru : 06-30-2008 at 08:06 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #121
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rick isn't allowed near the defense
Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 PM   #122
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Rick isn't allowed near the defense

Well, I am surprised he is allowed near the field/players/phone etc....but thats just me and my dislike for him.

Also, we are competing again with you guys as well with recruits....
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That is the most hilarious thing I've ever read if you seriously mean it He'll have much more competition at USC, but he kicked ass in the RSC camp and I think he'll manage to get PT if he can play like that with the pads. Also, this cemented Presley at USC since they are good buddies.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:05 PM   #124
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
That is the most hilarious thing I've ever read if you seriously mean it He'll have much more competition at USC, but he kicked ass in the RSC camp and I think he'll manage to get PT if he can play like that with the pads. Also, this cemented Presley at USC since they are good buddies.

I was just saying it because that's the only reason why people don't go to USC
Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #125
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just saying it because that's the only reason why people don't go to USC

This is very true actually. I suppose that also means that Moore didn't get the grades to get into UCLA

Serious question... how do you feel about Neuheisel (and Chow I guess) so far? Seems whatever your feelings about Dorrell, UCLA's class is way, way behind last year's right now and it seems that a lot (most?) of the big time talent in and around SoCal is already off the board, which is where UCLA cleaned up last year.

To a biased observer, it seems that USC has made an adjustment after getting their ass kicked last year and the dream team, for all the big talk, hasn't really got results. Fair?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #126
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

So JoePa is done after this season?

- Dream scenario would be both him and Bowden tied for the wins record going into the bowl season.

- Both teams play in the same bowl game and both announce it will be their last game.

I can only dream.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #127
Logan
Head Coach

CB Abdul Smith to Rutgers. We really did some nice work in the secondary this year with him, Ryan, Sanu, Harmon, and Hodges.

Now let's add Glen Carson to the LB unit and a couple more linemen and we're all done.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #128
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
So JoePa is done after this season?

- Dream scenario would be both him and Bowden tied for the wins record going into the bowl season.

- Both teams play in the same bowl game and both announce it will be their last game.

I can only dream.

I don't think he is done after this year. The man's ego has gotten the best of him right now.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #129
Logan
Head Coach

I don't know if you caught this, but apparently ESPN reported yesterday that recruits are being told that JoePa's successor will come from within. I'm sure there's just as good of a chance that this is BS directed at the recruits so they think they're committing to a "family."

Last edited by Logan : 07-02-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #130
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I don't know if you caught this, but apparently ESPN reported yesterday that recruits are being told that JoePa's successor will come from within. I'm sure there's just as good of a chance that this is BS directed at the recruits so they think they're committing to a "family."

Joe wants it to come from within and Spanier (the President) said there will be a full search. It is a part of the pissing contest between the two. It's not just BS to tell the recruits they are committing to a family. They guys and most of the staff have been there for a long time, that's pretty much as close as a family in college football you can get.

Don't always be so bitter man.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #131
Logan
Head Coach

No, I wouldn't expect any less from them (or any team), just like a coach would never tell recruits that he might go for a more prestigious job down the line. Ignore the family comment as it wasn't meant as a jab. Many recruits commit because of their relationships with coaches on the staff other than the HC, so I think it's normal to try to keep players focused that the guy they really like will still be around.

This was more aimed at the prior "Schiano to PSU" discussion than anything else. I've always thought Bradley would be the guy, and LJ seems like as good a choice as any.

Last edited by Logan : 07-02-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #132
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
This was more aimed at the prior "Schiano to PSU" discussion than anything else. I've always thought Bradley would be the guy, and LJ seems like as good a choice as any.

Yeah that's what I was thinking...I wouldn't have a problem with either LJ or Bradley.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #133
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am doing a live podcast with the Heisman Pundit tonight to talk about the 2008 Heisman hopefuls. HP use to be the SID at USC while Palmer and Leinart won the Heisman. Go to the blog in my sig to see how to listen.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 07-02-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #134
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I am doing a live podcast with the Heisman Pundit tonight to talk about the 2008 Heisman hopefuls. HP use to be the SID at USC while Bush and Leinart won the Heisman. Go to the blog in my sig to see how to listen.

I don't even know who the Heisman front runners are.

Beanie Wells, Tebow?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #135
Logan
Head Coach

Crabtree has to be on the short list.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Yeah.

Tebow, Wells, Crabtree, White and Bradford would be my early guesses
Old 07-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #137
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
This is very true actually. I suppose that also means that Moore didn't get the grades to get into UCLA

Serious question... how do you feel about Neuheisel (and Chow I guess) so far? Seems whatever your feelings about Dorrell, UCLA's class is way, way behind last year's right now and it seems that a lot (most?) of the big time talent in and around SoCal is already off the board, which is where UCLA cleaned up last year.

To a biased observer, it seems that USC has made an adjustment after getting their ass kicked last year and the dream team, for all the big talk, hasn't really got results. Fair?

No, not fair. The staff has gone after national players this yearbecause they started off behind the curve for the kids for the C/O 2009. I fully expect them to be there for the C/O 2010
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #138
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

HP doesnt have Crabtree on his list...I'll ask him about him tonight.

Also he has correctly predicted the last 6 Heisman's I believe.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #139
Logan
Head Coach

Moreno?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #140
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

http://heismanpundit.com/archives/1585
Old 07-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #141
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Moreno is a good call too. prolly ahead of bradford.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #142
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post

Holy hell that's one ugly website.

Can't believe I forgot about Daniel.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #143
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, not fair. The staff has gone after national players this yearbecause they started off behind the curve for the kids for the C/O 2009. I fully expect them to be there for the C/O 2010

Make any excuses you want, but USC is going to crush UCLA there again in 2010 as long as they make it a priority. Rick, Chow, and company cannot compete with Pete and his staff.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #144
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Make any excuses you want, but USC is going to crush UCLA there again in 2010 as long as they make it a priority. Rick, Chow, and company cannot compete with Pete and his staff.

No one can when you sell your soul to the devil, you have a leg up on everyone else....I am just surprised he convinced Sarks to join him in the evil pact, and then you have Urban joining the darkside..

So when the BCS championship is played in Hell, it will be between the Trojans and the Gators....
Old 07-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #145
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't think Rick and Chow plan on coaching in the NFL in 2009
Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think Rick and Chow plan on coaching in the NFL in 2009

Keep on dreaming, Bug, keep on dreaming.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #147
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Keep on dreaming, Bug, keep on dreaming.

I figured since you were, I would throw this out

I'd rather Carroll stay there myself
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #148
MrBug708
Head Coach

Richard Brehaut was previously named to the Elite 11 camp along with Matt Barkley
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
USC has some DE's, but Kennard absolutely killed it at the RSC. He was going against top tackle prospects and beating them every single time. With Nick Perry's status being questionable due to academics, I think Kennard could be a huge contributor right away. USC likes to rotate 4 DE's throughout the game. Since I posted that there are even more signs that Kennard is a very heavy lean to USC and maybe a silent commit who just wants to make a big splash on announcement day.

Ah, yes, the silent commit. The USC tool of excellence. Because if a big time player hasn't committed, it can't be because he won't commit.

You see, this is why I get annoyed with USC fans. They're more disgustingly arrogant than Duke and Notre Dame fans when they're good.

And before you say I am generalizing, keep in mind, I live in the LA area and I know TONS of USC fans.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #150
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Last year at this time, if you had judged USC's class against UCLA's, you would have taken UCLA's in a second. USC turned it around and landed some good players and ended up by most experts as one of the top classes again last year.

Point is, it's July. Also, if you think the talent has somehow run dry in CA by now, then you're not very familiar with CA talent. There's more here than in any state. UCLA will be fine.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote