Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #101
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
I asked that question earlier and yes, coaches eliminate teams.

Would vtbub be exempt from any Coyotes (if there were any worth picking) with Gretz as coach?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #102
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
I tried to clarify it a bit in the rules. Now you just pick a player and you get credit for stats he had with all the teams. But at the same time you cannot draft anyone from those teams for the rest of the draft.

Just to clarify here - all NHL stats, or all professional stats (WHA included)?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #103
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Would vtbub be exempt from any Coyotes (if there were any worth picking) with Gretz as coach?

That would be bsak's choice but I would think Coyotes are okay to choose because vtbub took Gretzky the player not Gretzky the coach.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #104
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Last question-

What's the basis for the enforcer category? Does it have to be a known fighter? Or are pest types who racked up the PIM acceptable?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Is this just "team" or is it "franchise"? For instance, if I take a player with a Jet or Whaler past, am I then unable to select a Coyote or a Hurricane as well?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #106
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Is this just "team" or is it "franchise"? For instance, if I take a player with a Jet or Whaler past, am I then unable to select a Coyote or a Hurricane as well?

Quote:
5) Since rule #1 was altered to include all the teams a player has played for...you are allowed to draft players from defunct teams. For example if you draft someone from Hartford, that does NOT eliminate Carolina. Same goes for Winnipeg and Phoenix...etc..etc. It only counts if they played for both Hartford and Carolina. Then both teams would be eliminated.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #107
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

OK....one more question

Do you we need to categorize the player when chosen? For example, some players may fit more than one category, I may change where I want to slot them based on who else i draft.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #108
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just to clarify here - all NHL stats, or all professional stats (WHA included)?

I guess you could say all stats...but this draft will be voted on by your peers so you want to impress them with your team.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #109
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That would be bsak's choice but I would think Coyotes are okay to choose because vtbub took Gretzky the player not Gretzky the coach.

Since he took Gretzky as a player...vtbub still has the Coyotes available.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #110
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK....one more question

Do you we need to categorize the player when chosen? For example, some players may fit more than one category, I may change where I want to slot them based on who else i draft.

It is up to you to tell us when you draft which category the player fits into.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #111
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Interesting rules and strategies. I don't think a participant would survive too long if they keep picking 4+ teams players. However, regardless how many teams he had played for, Gretzky trumps all.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #112
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Last question-

What's the basis for the enforcer category? Does it have to be a known fighter? Or are pest types who racked up the PIM acceptable?

This is up to you...one person in this thread said they would rather see a Bob Probert type who could just fight but others want someone who can fight and play. It is more your choice.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #113
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
It is up to you to tell us when you draft which category the player fits into.

OK...just thinking a guy like Lemieux (and Gretz, as well as others) could qualify as playmaker or sniper. Depending who i can get in a later round may change where i want to slot them.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #114
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
OK...just thinking a guy like Lemieux (and Gretz, as well as others) could qualify as playmaker or sniper. Depending who i can get in a later round may change where i want to slot them.

That's all part of the draft I guess

By the way if you guys arent already doing this...please PM the guy after you and tell him he is up.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #115
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ah ha...

I would also assume the two Minnesota, Atlanta and Colorado teams (among others) are considered different? Good. I wanted to take Beck from Colorado.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #116
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah ha...

I would also assume the two Minnesota, Atlanta and Colorado teams (among others) are considered different? Good. I wanted to take Beck from Colorado.

Correct.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 PM   #117
Logan
Head Coach

Having your coach knock out all his former teams makes things pretty damn near impossible.

Last edited by Logan : 03-07-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #118
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Having your coach knock out all his former teams makes things pretty damn near impossible.

Don't draft Keenan then.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #119
Logan
Head Coach

After he bolted for St. Louis in '95, I'll never consider him "my" coach.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #120
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I would think that only head coach positions should count? (I have no idea how hockey coaching structure works)

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #121
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

It would be obvious to take a player like Mario Lemieux in this spot, or Paul Coffey as an offensive defenceman although he eats up about 15 teams. But due to what I see as a lack of great power forwards I am going to select Gordie Howe at Power Forward.

Last edited by Oilers9911 : 03-07-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #122
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I would think that only head coach positions should count? (I have no idea how hockey coaching structure works)
I'd think so too. Some guys have been head coaches for two or three teams, but have worked in assistant roles, front office jobs or even as players for half the league.

I get the sense that in this draft players are players and coaches are coaches, and the only overlap is that (presumably) you can't take the same guy in each category.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #123
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wow, I'm stunned this guy would fall to me:

1.5 Mario Lemieux, playmaker

He's usually considered the consensus #4 best player of all time (behind Gretzky, Howe and Orr), and given that he only played for one team I love the value here. I thought he might go as high as #1 in this draft.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 03-08-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #124
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Wow, I'm stunned this guy would fall to me:

1.5 Mario Lemieux, playmaker

He's usually considered the consensus #4 best player of all time (behind Gretzky, Howe and Orr), and given that he only played for one team I love the value here. I thought he might go as high as #1 in this draft.

Bastard. I was stunned, too. Easily the best one team player of all time (sorry Red Wings fans). I wouldn't have been shocked to see him go #1 in a draft with these rules.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #125
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Love the one team Lemiuex.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #126
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Missed the homer pick by one slot, cause I was easily going ML.

So...after thinking it over, it might be a tad early for this guy but...

1.6 Joe Sakic (COL and QUE)
Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #127
Logan
Head Coach

Category Suburban...

(nice pick wherever you place him, he was on my short list)

Last edited by Logan : 03-08-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #128
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I think I'll tempt fate, and hold out hope I can place other players in the slots needed, and make Sakic my captain.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #129
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

(nice pick wherever you place him, he was on my short list)

mine to, it's amazing to say but he may be one of the most under rated players ever in any sport.

The guy gets no pub.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:56 AM   #130
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Nice pick with Sakic. I was hoping that people would forget about him and he'd drop.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 AM   #131
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This pick was extraordinarily hard. I feel all of the top top stars are gone. There are plenty of superstars left, of course, but I felt the names of Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe and Orr were the guys heads and tails over the others, and then there are maybe about 20 guys with a stake to #5. Well, the list for #5 is smaller than that, IMO, but most of those guys are forwards--and I think those will be the easiest positions to fill.

So I went with scarcity. Where could I make a strong pick at a less deep spot without it being a reach at #7? I decided forwards were too soon because of depth. Enforcers and big hitters and even defensive defensman were too soon because none of the best qualified guys should be going first round in an all time league. Leaders you can get anywhere at any time in this draft (IMO), and frankly, I don't want to think about head coaches right now.

So that left me with goalies or offensive defensmen.

Goalie: I had three guys in mind, two oldies and one more recent. The two oldies played with four or more teams each. The recent one only played with two. But not only did he play with two franchises whom I might want to focus on later for players, but I hated his arse, too.

O-Defensmen: I had two guys in mind and I couldn't decide if I rated them high enough to go over the guy I hate at the G spot (which I really do think is a position of scarcity). One was too old, so I didn't have a real feel for him. Plus, he would eliminate a great franchise, too. The other I know well and like, and wouldn't mind taking the franchises off that he played for. But I thought of a guy whom I thought was his equal and who had only played for one team his entire career. So my question is, is it a reach? Not with Sakic going #6, IMO.

So which one would it be? In the end, I decided I would rather lose the two franchises then the one the one-team D had played for. Either way, I had a great D-man to pick. Here goes...

1.7 Ray Bourque, Offensive Defensman (BOS/COL)

Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 AM   #132
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The board flaking out on me gave me some time to think about who I was going to draft. I changed my mind and will now go with the homer pick. I select

Mark Messier as my Captain (Edmonton Oilers, NY Rangers, Vancouver Canucks)

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #133
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

1.9- Sniper-Maurice "The Rocket" Richard

The original sniper. Set the bar scoring 50 goals in 50 games. Played his whole legendary career in Montreal.

The fact that the trophy that is awarded to the seasons leading scorer is named after him shows what an impact he had on the sport.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #134
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Richard was the guy I was planning to take at #5 if the Big Four had gone as expected.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #135
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

1.7 Ray Bourque, Offensive Defensman (BOS/COL)

I pretty much went back and forth between Bourque and Sakic when picking.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #136
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Okay its monday and the draft has "officially" started today. Start PMing me lists if you are going to be away from FOFC from an extended period of time and also make sure you contact the person after you when you make your pick.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #137
Logan
Head Coach

Damn it, I left my "notes" at home, and I'm on deck.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #138
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

1.10 (Redux) Cam Neely (Power Forward)

Cam Neely is considered the pre-eminent power forward of his era.

Through 726 regular season games, Cam Neely collected 694 points — 395 goals and 299 assists — and was selected to the NHL's Second All-Star Team in 1988, 1990, 1991 and 1994. Cam also recorded 57 goals and 32 assists for 89 points in 93 playoff contests and is the Boston Bruins' all-time leading goal scorer with 55 tallies.

In 1993-94, he scored 50 goals in 49 games (the third fastest of all times). When healthy, he was as dominant a physical forward as there has been.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-10-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #139
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'S IS STOOPID.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 03-10-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #140
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
pssssssst, check 1.7

Damn it! I suck.

All righty then... I shall revise.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #141
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

you should get bonus points by voters since he played such a great role as Sea Bass in Dumb and Dumber.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #142
Logan
Head Coach

Pick upcoming...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #143
Logan
Head Coach

This was a tough pick for me. I wanted to go goalie because I think it's a tough position to fill in this draft. The question then became...do I go with the guy who holds all the records, or the guy who will hold all the records? Do I go with the guy who (incorrectly, in my mind) is said to have played behind worse defenses, or the guy who played behind a suffocating, clutch and grab defense? Do I let Pumpy have his guy, or do I not? And most importantly, do I go for the guy who beats his wife, or the guy who cheats on his wife? Sorry Pump...

1.11 - Martin Brodeur, New Jersey Devils (Goalie)

3 Vezinas, 3 Cups, a 2.20 career GAA, a 1.89 career playoff GAA, and 96 career shutouts, with 22 more in the playoffs. The best goalie I've ever seen, and yes, that's coming from a Ranger fan.

Last edited by Logan : 03-10-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #144
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Pumpy's head just exploded.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #145
Logan
Head Coach

Honestly, that was more my aim than winning the vote.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 AM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I almost took Brodeur.

Easily the best of all time and my favorite player, the problem is there are to many uneducated people out there that will yell about the trap and claim Hasek or Roy are better.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #147
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

OK, give me just a short while here. I've got a couple things to do here at work, and I have to give some thought to these two picks I've got.

I also need to wipe down the walls, considering that my head just exploded.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

You could probably argue that despite the recent rule changes, and with the anchors of the team's defense for most of his time gone (Stevens, Daneyko, Neidermeyer), his last two seasons were among his top 5 of his stellar career. I'd hope that would get rid of that argument. I could see people making the case for Roy, but get the hell out of here with Hasek. Spectacular at times, yes, but not always great.

BTW, gutsy pick on Cam Neely in the first round. I think that may have been a little early, but I'd hope people would consider just how dominant he was before his career ended prematurely.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #149
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The only record I will ever dispute for Brodeur is his wins in a season. With no ties anymore I don't think it is as good as Bernie Parent's record.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #150
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

These may be reaches for 1.12 and 2.1, but here goes:

1.12 - Nicklas Lidstrom (Lockdown Defenseman) - Detroit

The man doesn't bully people, he doesn't hit hard, and he doesn't scare you, but he's the definition of defense. He's the kind of player who shuts people down because he rarely makes a mistake. Lidstrom's a clean, classy defenseman who's also just very, very good.

2.1 - Al MacInnis (Offensive Defenseman) - Calgary, St. Louis

This is almost certainly a big reach for this point in the draft, but I think it'll be hard to find someone so good for this category by the time my next pick comes around. In addition to that, MacInnis only played for two teams. There are many forwards out there who'd love to score 340 goals in their careers, but MacInnis managed to do it as a defenseman. Yes, he played for a really long time, and that padded the numbers a bit, but his longevity is a good thing. He would've had a couple more years if he had not gotten hurt. He scored goals, he stayed healthy for the entire first half of his career, and - oh yeah - his slapshot once shattered a goalie's mask. Sign me up for Al MacInnis.