Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #101
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A few bits of sales news-

Wii Tie Ratio at 8:1 in December

Quote:
While Nintendo's console certainly flourished in December, perhaps signaling the beginning of solid tie ratios to come, it should be noted that Wii's life-to-date software to hardware tie ratio is at 4.64, compared to 4.26 on PlayStation 3 (despite a much smaller installed base) and 7.0 on Xbox 360, according to NPD data.

Keep in mind that the 360 has been out a year longer and it's tie ratio as of December 2006 was 5.1

Here's some NPD total software figures I saw on neoGAF:

Total software sales for December:
Wii - 10,948,500
360 - 9,777,600
PS3 - 4,019,904

Total software sales life to date:
360 - 63,873,600
Wii - 34,194,016
PS3 - 13,844,148

Total 360 software sales as of 31 December 2006 - 22,950,000
(Hardware: 4.5 million, Tie Ratio: 5.1)

Also from the NPD report, out of the top 100 games last month 20 were on the Wii (15 third party games even) and 18 for the 360. The other systems weren't posted.

Interesting stuff IMO.

Article on Sony possibly discontinuing the 80 GB PS3

Quote:
Well, this is interesting. We just heard from The NPD Group who told us, "In the last quarter (when both were on the market), the 80GB sold more units than the 40GB." When pressed for a more exact breakdown of the sales data between the two SKUs, NPD said they could not provide that. It's certainly a surprise to us, however, that the more expensive 80GB would have sold more than 40GB, which many have attributed the PS3 sales spike to.

People really seem to prefer the more fully-featured versions of both the 360 and the PS3. The pack-in games for the Pro and the 80 GB can't hurt either.

For the poster who said his store had a ton of 60 GB PS3's, are they still $500?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #102
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

Check out these Resistance 2 screens. The first one was OK, I'm not a huge FPS person, but damn.

hxxp://kotaku.com/photogallery/resistance2/1000577003

Last edited by IMetTrentGreen : 01-26-2008 at 08:05 PM.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
Check out these Resistance 2 screens. The first one was OK, I'm not a huge FPS person, but damn.

hxxp://kotaku.com/photogallery/resistance2/1000577003

Good looking screen shots are a dime a dozen. If it looks that good while at 60 FPS, then we'll talk.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New info concerning some new game releases. Valve has confirmed that Left 4 Dead is now a multiplatform game for the 360 and PS3.

http://n4g.com/News-104665.aspx

Surfer Girl mentioned in her latest blog entry that both Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2 are also now both multiplatform for the 360 and PS3.

Sony is expected sometime this week to comment on 80GB PS3 discontinuation and discuss any future consoles or pricing changes.

Also, rumors are swirling that Nintendo is having trouble creating enough discs for Super Smash Bros. Brawl to even meet pre-order numbers. The problems with the disc production apparantly is the main culprit behind the delay of the game.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #105
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More info on possible next more for Sony regarding the PS3:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/28/s...odel-with-dua/
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 AM   #106
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm not sure why anyone would care (at this point) about a 120 or 160MB PS3. They're always upgradeable if space becomes a problem, but are people clamoring for more hard disk space right now/this year? I don't get it...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would care (at this point) about a 120 or 160MB PS3. They're always upgradeable if space becomes a problem, but are people clamoring for more hard disk space right now/this year? I don't get it...

Two points:

1. The move to more HDD space at the same price as a 80 GB machine is a move to show that there's more value for the same price point. I agree with you that people would rather see the same machine with a price cut, but unfortunately, you or I aren't in charge.

2. The move to a larger HDD is also a move to prepare for the upcoming movie/TV show download system that will be available later this year for the PS3. A HDD of that size is needed for that kind of service. An agreement with TiVo to use the PS3 as a DVR is also rumored as a possibility.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #108
wade moore
lolzcat

Tivo and the PS3 teaming up is probably the only thing that would get me to buy a PS3 at this point (not because I have a distaste for the PS3, but because I have a 360 already and see no reason with my habits to have them both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #109
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
An agreement with TiVo to use the PS3 as a DVR is also rumored as a possibility.
Actually I believe Sony already has an agreement with Tivo from several years back to use the Tivo software on Sony devices. The re-discovery of that was what kicked off the Tivo on PS3 rumors.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #110
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

How much do you think the constantly changing configurations are scaring customers away? The impression I get is that if I wait a couple of months, I'll get a bigger machine (with possible improvements) for the same money. When you are fighting for market position, I wouldn't want to do things that encourage customers to wait. If I just bought a PS3, I would much prefer to see it get cheaper in the future rather than see it go away completely.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
How much do you think the constantly changing configurations are scaring customers away? The impression I get is that if I wait a couple of months, I'll get a bigger machine (with possible improvements) for the same money. When you are fighting for market position, I wouldn't want to do things that encourage customers to wait. If I just bought a PS3, I would much prefer to see it get cheaper in the future rather than see it go away completely.

I think you're correct at some level. Some people will just keep waiting for the next low price point or better model as long as MS and Sony continue on with this SKU war every 6 months. It's a bit overblown at some level because both the 360 and PS3 are upgradable, though the 360 HDD will cost more than its PS3 counterpart simply due to the MS propriatary format. I think that price drop rumors have also been used by companies to hurt the other console's short-term sales (i.e. continue to float price drop rumors so people hold off on their purchase as you said).

I forgot to note it in the post, but the new PS3 SKU's from this point forward will all have bundled Dual Shock 3 controllers, which is also a small improvement over the old SKU.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #112
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Actually I believe Sony already has an agreement with Tivo from several years back to use the Tivo software on Sony devices. The re-discovery of that was what kicked off the Tivo on PS3 rumors.

That's correct, though the talk has increased now that the PS3 finally will have a HDD big enough to support HDTV recordings. It really wasn't much of an option with the previous models.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #113
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post

I agree - the SKU du jour gets confusing very quickly.
how do you know?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #114
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

MS and Sony have both really annoyed me with the multiple SKU's thing this generation. I really hope that low sales of the "base" units, and maybe some research indicating consumer backlash of some sort, puts an end to this next time. Probably wishful thinking though.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #115
Kodos
Resident Alien

One of the nice things about consoles in the past was that there was very little difference between a launch console and one from 3 years after launch. Now, with the different SKUs, they are making consoles a pain in the ass like computers that constantly need a better graphics card.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #116
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
One of the nice things about consoles in the past was that there was very little difference between a launch console and one from 3 years after launch. Now, with the different SKUs, they are making consoles a pain in the ass like computers that constantly need a better graphics card.

Thankfully, the only major modification is HDD size. RAM, computer chips and graphics chips remain the same through all of the models as far as what they do. Part of the reason that I like console gaming is that I don't have to modify anything. Just stick in the game and play. I'm cautiously optimistic that the current and future consoles will steer clear of the PC issues simply because it's cheaper to build a standardized system.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:33 PM   #117
Kodos
Resident Alien

But losing backwards compatibility is a major change (downgrade). I was able to get a used 60 GB PS3, but it was annoying that I couldn't buy just any version to get everything that I wanted.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #118
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
...the new PS3 SKU's from this point forward will all have bundled Dual Shock 3 controllers

Now if they would just put back in hardware emulation of the PS2, I might consider buying a PS3. After a price drop or two, of course.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #119
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What makes the 80 gig w/ software emulation BC different than the 40 gig w/o BC. I assume they removed another chip of some sort?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #120
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
What makes the 80 gig w/ software emulation BC different than the 40 gig w/o BC. I assume they removed another chip of some sort?

40 GB also removed the built-in memory card slots and has the 65nm processor.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #121
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Two chipsets are internal to the 20 GB and the 60 GB - the Graphics Synthesizer and the Emotion Engine.

One of those is internal to the 80 GB - the Graphics Synthesizer. Thus, software emulation is still possible.

The 40 GB lacks either of those chipsets. Hence, no PS2 BC is possible.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's correct, though the talk has increased now that the PS3 finally will have a HDD big enough to support HDTV recordings. It really wasn't much of an option with the previous models.

120 or 160 GB isn't really enough for much HDTV recording unless they want to compress the crap out of it. I have a 250 GB HD-DVR and it only gets about 30 hours of HDTV recordings if the quality is set to a good compression rate (i.e. bad picture quality.)

Edit: I think this is another Sony mistake as they should be focused on lowering the price of all of their models, not increasing the storage capacity while keeping the cost the same.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-28-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #123
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, this isn't going to start making PS3s fly off the shelf.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Edit: I think this is another Sony mistake as they should be focused on lowering the price of all of their models, not increasing the storage capacity while keeping the cost the same.

I agree. I'd prefer that they'd keep the price lower and just allow those that want to upgrade their HDD to do it on their own. It's actually cheaper to upgrade the HDD on your own for the most part. Let the user add their own value to a base unit if they really want it that badly.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #125
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
120 or 160 GB isn't really enough for much HDTV recording unless they want to compress the crap out of it. I have a 250 GB HD-DVR and it only gets about 30 hours of HDTV recordings if the quality is set to a good compression rate (i.e. bad picture quality.)

If only the cable box folks would figure this out. The Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVRs that Time Warner and others are using have a 160 GB drive, and the new 8550 they are getting ready to ship as an upgrade ALSO has a 160 GB drive. At least TIVO and DirecTV seem to understand this...
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #126
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bad edit on my part as I was distracted. I meant to say I get about 30 hours of high quality recording with the 250 GB HD-DVR. If I turn the recording quality to low, I can get more hours.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have the vip722 from Dish, and it holds a shitload of HD content(55 hours). Something like a 500gig HDD. 1xx gig hard drives really aren't going to cut it.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #128
Daimyo
College Starter

I'm surprised the cableco HDDVRs let you adjust quality... The Tivo's just record the mpeg2 stream without any transcoding (similar to what the DirectTV Tivos used to do) so you get exactly the same quality it was broadcast in.... transcoding HD content is extremely processor intensive. Are you sure that setting isn't only used for SD content?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
I'm surprised the cableco HDDVRs let you adjust quality... The Tivo's just record the mpeg2 stream without any transcoding (similar to what the DirectTV Tivos used to do) so you get exactly the same quality it was broadcast in.... transcoding HD content is extremely processor intensive. Are you sure that setting isn't only used for SD content?

I'm talking about a modded DirecTV HR20. It's possible it's only used for the SD content, but I don't think so.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #130
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I have the vip722 from Dish, and it holds a shitload of HD content(55 hours). Something like a 500gig HDD. 1xx gig hard drives really aren't going to cut it.

I think a lot of people would upgrade their PS3 HDD if the TiVo deal ever came to pass. You can get some pretty large HDD's at a good price. Downloadable movies/TV shows this summer may also necessitate an upgrade.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Square lead developer confirms that FFXIII will be released before the end of calendar year 2008. A demo of the fighting system is also expected before the game release............

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/27/ff...-release-date/

EB Australia is refusing to sell 360's due to high defect rate. EB Australia currently has over $10 million worth of Xbox 360 consoles that Microsoft refuses to take back. Microsoft is refusing to comment. EB Australia is the leading video game retailer in the $1 billion/year Austrailian market............

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=1...ective+360%27s
Old 01-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #132
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I don't get how a PS3 would work like a DVR - wouldn't it require some kind of input from your dish or cable?
how do you know?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #133
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
EB Australia is refusing to sell 360's due to high defect rate. EB Australia currently has over $10 million worth of Xbox 360 consoles that Microsoft refuses to take back. Microsoft is refusing to comment. EB Australia is the leading video game retailer in the $1 billion/year Austrailian market............

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=1...ective+360%27s

Just to nitpick, I think you're misrepresenting a bit here..

EB Australia is not refusing to sell 360's due to the high defect rate based on the article. They are considering refusing to sell 360's because Microsoft will not take back the defective 360's that EB Australia has on hand. The best I can tell is these are defective 360's from before the 3-year warranty was added that customers brought back and EB Australia replaced with their own warranty.

They're also mad that they can't milk customers for $85 per customer for an extended warranty since MS is now offering a 3 year manufacter warranty - OH NOES POOR EB AUSTRALIA!

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #134
Daimyo
College Starter

If EB Australia sold their own extended warranties on those defective 360s why should Microsoft take them back?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Just to nitpick, I think you're misrepresenting a bit here..

EB Australia is not refusing to sell 360's due to the high defect rate based on the article. They are considering refusing to sell 360's because Microsoft will not take back the defective 360's that EB Australia has on hand. The best I can tell is these are defective 360's from before the 3-year warranty was added that customers brought back and EB Australia replaced with their own warranty.

They're also mad that they can't milk customers for $85 per customer for an extended warranty since MS is now offering a 3 year manufacter warranty - OH NOES POOR EB AUSTRALIA!

Both companies were being short-sighted in this case. Microsoft knowingly released a console that had some major flaws in the interest of getting out early and gaining market share (which they've done thus far). EB (and other retailers) have used these extended warranties to milk tons of profits out of customers fully knowing that the products would hold up for the most part. The 360's failure rate single-handedly wrecked that profit stream.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #136
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Both companies were being short-sighted in this case. Microsoft knowingly released a console that had some major flaws in the interest of getting out early and gaining market share (which they've done thus far). EB (and other retailers) have used these extended warranties to milk tons of profits out of customers fully knowing that the products would hold up for the most part. The 360's failure rate single-handedly wrecked that profit stream.

Agreed - like I said, I was being nitpicky. If MS took the bad units back my impression is this wouldn't be an issue. So it's really not the failure rate itself, but that EB Australia is eating a lot of the negative of that failure rate.

Quote:
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Agreed - like I said, I was being nitpicky. If MS took the bad units back my impression is this wouldn't be an issue. So it's really not the failure rate itself, but that EB Australia is eating a lot of the negative of that failure rate.

The bad part is that, since MS likely won't take the blame, the consumers are eventually going to be the ones that pay for the mistakes of these two companies. Extended warranties for video game consoles will likely be increased across the board when the next generation of consoles is release. The retail outlets will want to cover themselves from similar losses. It's a win-win for the retailers. If there is an increase in returns next generation on any consoles, they'll be better prepared to cover it. If all of the consoles perform well, the retail outlets pocket a bigger profit on the warranties. It's somewhat disgusting to be honest.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:15 PM   #138
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Here's some confirmation of some long-suspected Wii games coming from Nintendo.

Animal Crossing, Kirby On Wii This Year

Quote:
Other games listed for a Japanese release in 2008 are Mario Kart Wii (in the spring), Wii Music, Super Mario Stadium Family Baseball, and Disaster: Day of Crisis: In other words, the same games that we've been hearing about forever. They're sure to have many new games this year as well, but those announcements won't appear for a while.

I've never played the Animal Crossing series but hopefully Disaster: DoC and the Kirby game turn out well.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Nintendo responds to third-party developer concerns. They acknowledge that there is a problem, but they believe it's only temporary. The response is likely related to rumors that Nintendo is receiving a lot of heat from third-party developers over the lackluster sales of highly-rated third party games.........

http://www.developmag.com/news/29142...rties-concerns

Quote:
'We believe the situation will change,' says Japanese giant

Nintendo has responded to worries that only first party titles are selling on the Wii, saying that it believes the situation is only temporary.

According to the company's third-quarter report meeting transcription, translated by Develop, the problem is simply one of the Wii still being a young system - and that, as such, Nintendo's internal teams currently have an significant advantage.

"When we develop new hardware at Nintendo, we do so as a collaboration between the hardware development teams and the software development teams. Our software sales percentage is currently high because our internal teams teams know the Wii's special characteristics best, and they started development quite a bit before the Wii's release.

However, we believe that eventually that will change," said the firm.

"If you look at the data for our third quarter you'll see that, out of the 14 Wii titles that shipped over a million units, 11 of those were our titles. However, if you look at the 50 titles that shipped over a million units on DS, only 28 of those are ours.

"We identified the same thing in the DS' first period, and the situation continues to change little by little. For the Wii too, we believe that as time passes, the proportion of high-selling titles that come from our licensees will increase."

EA can now be considered an equal opportunity screw-up. First, it was the frame rate issues on the PS3 sports titles last year (reportedly remedied this year). Now, 360 Arcade and Core owners that purchase the new Burnout game will not be able to play any of the online modes, which are a substantial portion of the game.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/30-01-2008-7383.html
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #140
wade moore
lolzcat

Oh man, Burnout MP would be awesome. The only time I've played Burnout was when a bunch of buddies got together and played Burnout 2 for like 4 hours seeing who could get the highest scoring crashes.

that wase awesome.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #141
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm tentatively holding out hope for Animal Crossing, and Wii Fit. Or Wii Sports 2, or Mario Bowling, or hell.....just a fun game. Otherwise it's this close to heading to Ebay. Galaxy looks good, but after work, I just want to kick back and play games, not have to make all manner of controller motions, etc.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #142
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Galaxy looks good, but after work, I just want to kick back and play games, not have to make all manner of controller motions, etc.

Wow. I'm not sure what to say when shaking your hand or pointing a remote every now and then is considered too much effort.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #143
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nintendo responds to third-party developer concerns. They acknowledge that there is a problem, but they believe it's only temporary. The response is likely related to rumors that Nintendo is receiving a lot of heat from third-party developers over the lackluster sales of highly-rated third party games.........

http://www.developmag.com/news/29142...rties-concerns

This has been a problem for the last 10 years. I guess I'd have to do some in depth research, but I don't remember any super successful selling 3rd party games for the N64, and Resident Evil 4 is the only one coming to mind on the Gamecube. I don't see it changing no matter what Nintendo does.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #144
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Wow. I'm not sure what to say when shaking your hand or pointing a remote every now and then is considered too much effort.

I was kind of thinking that, too. Along those lines, I actually find kicking back and playing with the Wii controllers more relaxing since you don't have to have both of your hands together in the middle on one controller. I can kick back into a lot more comfortable positions with the two separate hands. Just my opinion.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
This has been a problem for the last 10 years. I guess I'd have to do some in depth research, but I don't remember any super successful selling 3rd party games for the N64, and Resident Evil 4 is the only one coming to mind on the Gamecube. I don't see it changing no matter what Nintendo does.

I'd agree with that. Nintendo is their own worst enemy. Their first-party games are so successful that their fans tend to save their money for the 8-10 first-party games each year and it often leaves the third-party games out in the cold. I'm not sure there's much that Nintendo can do as a company to aleviate the problem.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony and Activision heads comment on their perception that in-game advertising may not be all that effective and may even hurt game sales. They believe that gamers are turned off by games with in-game advertising.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e7c50fce-c...077b07658.html
Old 01-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #147
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
EA can now be considered an equal opportunity screw-up. First, it was the frame rate issues on the PS3 sports titles last year (reportedly remedied this year). Now, 360 Arcade and Core owners that purchase the new Burnout game will not be able to play any of the online modes, which are a substantial portion of the game.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/30-01-2008-7383.html
Well, that was a decision those people made when they bought 360's without a hard drive. They can always buy a hard drive to get full functionality.

What percentage of 360 owners don't have hard drives anyway? I suspect it's low enough that most developers will be willing to release games that require hard drive support.

I don't consider this a screw-up by EA...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #148
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, it is more of a Microsoft screw up. It is no surprise that the HD adoption rate would be high enough to make game developers assume its existence, so Microsoft shouldn't have bothered with the HD-less version of the system.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #149
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
My 360 Elite only has 120Gb but has been fine for HD movies/shows so far, yeah I delete things after I watch them but you're fine to download them again if they're purchased so thats not a real problem imho.

To me Sony should focus on lowering the price, they've all but won the format war leaving BluRay dominant - put the price low enough and people will buy the system to use as a bluray player (same as they did PS-2 and DVD). Incidentally from what I've heard its actually one of the best BluRay players available ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #150
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

I agree it's been a problem, but surely there is a fair bit Nintendo can do. Every big Nintendo release there is a ton of advertising, and I know all about Nintendo's big releases on the Wii without even researching. If Nintendo helped out advertising some of these games they same way they do their own, surely it would help things?

I guess it comes down to how much money Nintendo is willing to use to support their 3rd party projects.