Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #101
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Pumpy, that would require people participating to post in their thread, and then post again. It's easier to get the quick overview this way.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #102
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
these are the things people think about on Christmas Eve and during the holidays?

*sigh*

HA hit this dead on.

And for some people - if this is the formatting of the Dynasty forum is so important for you to get this upset over, I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 AM   #103
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
damn you, man, you dropped the ball. instead of "deal with it" you coulda said....

COWBOY UP.

I've been waiting for two days for you to say this! I was about to post that, but it wouldn't have beens as good!
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Fixed.

I was actually kidding, but thanks for looking out for those who might have more sensitive monitoring software working against them. Didn't mean to get CU in trouble.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #105
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Assuming, of course, that more than 5% of the users give a flying shit who is participating in whatever-it-is-they're-doing. For all the grief the WW threads and participants took, this issue is 100x more annoying to 5x as many people with less than 1% of the participation. My head hurts, so guess what?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #106
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
HA hit this dead on.

And for some people - if this is the formatting of the Dynasty forum is so important for you to get this upset over, I feel sorry for you.

+2
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #107
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Nott to jump head first into this, but Id say there is a huge difference between owning a site and owning a coomunity.

Would it change everyone's life greatly if everyone here had the same conversations at {bad-looking link removed
Dude, the Drunk Guy thread is over there....
Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #108
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
if this is the formatting of the Dynasty forum is so important for you to get this upset over, I feel sorry for you.

1) If you think this is entirely about the formatting of the Dynasty forum, then you aren't paying attention.

2) Worrying with this beats the living hell out of knowing my grandmother is dying a particularly unpleasant death and there isn't a damned thing I can do about it. Or worrying about a trio of weirded out clients. Or worrying about any of the countless other things that dominate the collective minds of the posters here for most of their waking hours. Instead, we rail a bit (and pretty mildly at that) about something else for a change.

And if you can't figure out how that works then it's you that I'd feel sorry for if I had more time.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #109
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Come on, I don't think that people are letting this board formatting issue ruin their lives or anything. It's just a concern about the board, and people are expressing it. Whether it's Christmas Eve or Columbus Day or Canadian Thanksgiving or whatever, is there anything so wrong with voicing a concern about the board on the board?

Now, if somebody was really sitting around earlier this week unable to eat their dinner because of this, they might want to step back and think about what's really important. Otherwise, just because there are more pressing issues in their lives and in the world, it doesn't necessarily mean that they should just ignore this one thing that bothers them.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #110
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I'd be happy to accept any forum formatting there is if in turn someone could get my mother in law to leave at some point before the second week of next month...
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #111
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Come on, I don't think that people are letting this board formatting issue ruin their lives or anything. It's just a concern about the board, and people are expressing it. Whether it's Christmas Eve or Columbus Day or Canadian Thanksgiving or whatever, is there anything so wrong with voicing a concern about the board on the board?

Now, if somebody was really sitting around earlier this week unable to eat their dinner because of this, they might want to step back and think about what's really important. Otherwise, just because there are more pressing issues in their lives and in the world, it doesn't necessarily mean that they should just ignore this one thing that bothers them.

C'mon Pumpy. Canadians don't celebrate Thanksgiving. What are they thankful for? Moose?

Ducks

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #112
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I'd be happy to accept any forum formatting there is if in turn someone could get my mother in law to leave at some point before the second week of next month...
Is she hot?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:56 AM   #113
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Considering the starter I am not surprised, he is a drama queen.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #114
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That depends on what you're trying to do. I wanted it set up so that everyone could see who was participating and posting.

I really don't have a horse in this race either way but this made me say WTF?

Does ayone really care about who is participating ad posting except for the people playing in the challange?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #115
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

but seriously, in the grand scheme of things what does it matter? not to discredit the opinions of others or their feelings - everyone has a right to feel the way they do - some things are more important than others. and it's not a situation where you can say "who are you to dictate what is more important". this clearly is of such little importance. this is the internet, we all get to be anonymous and say things we normally wouldn't say in real life (except for Jon, who clearly is seriously not well-adjusted. i like him, but he isn't someone i would feel comfortable being stuck in a car during a snow storm with.). sure, we get to cry out against "the Man" when we feel we've been wronged. but this isn't a case where a crazy guy with mod powers just randomly banned people for no reason. its his board, he can make the formatting decisions he wants. he has to weigh whether it's worth it to cave in to a vocal minority or to just do it the way he likes.

it's a shame. i wish people would take their unused energy and just apply it to the "How many 5 yead olds can you take?" thread.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #116
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Certainly not defending the tone of the response, but the complaint itself was poorly worded and made the response inevitable. Sometimes you have to know who you're dealing with. Posting a thread in the dynasty forum titled "Annoying as Hell" was not the best way to go about it.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #117
molson
General Manager

Quote:
but seriously, in the grand scheme of things what does it matter?

You could say that about everything but life and death (and even that's debatable, I guess).

Text sims, message boards, the internet, none of it really matters, and obviously there's more important things to spend our energy on. But you come across little things in life that might matter when you come across them. It's always annoying to me when people say, "Isn't there something more important Congress can be doing", or "isn't there a more important study then effect of chocolate on sleep patterns". Sure there is, but do you want to spend your entire life thinking ONLY about the most important things? You'd go insane.

What were we talking about again?

Last edited by molson : 12-26-2007 at 11:15 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #118
Anthony
Banned

i think the best way to do it is the following:

if you had to pay for every post you made, would you pay money to complain about how the dynasty forum is formatted? if everyone operated under the same "is this post worth paying x amount of money for?" mindset, you'd see a lot of complaints diminish. if you had to pay $0.50 per post, you would accept how it's done and not even think about it.

jeeberd would also be a poor man, if we did it that way.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #119
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I appreciate the fact that the formatting is back to the Ryan S style.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #120
korme
Go Reds

If I had to pay for every post, I'd have 0 career posts at fofc HA.

Dumb fucking analogy
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #121
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
That depends on what you're trying to do. I wanted it set up so that everyone could see who was participating and posting.
Ah that makes sense for the sub forums, but how about all the private forums like the moderator ones, seems like you should be able to make those non visible, if not us but just for you so people don't know that the mods are talking (by the addition of post counts...?)
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #122
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

This thread needs more jb
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #123
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
If I had to pay for every post, I'd have 0 career posts at fofc HA.

Dumb fucking analogy

then you'd have nothing important to say. point is, are you just mastur-posting, or do you actually have something worthwhile to say? point is, if you had to pay for making the posts i'm sure you'd let it slide if you didn't like the formatting of the forum, rather than paying money out of your pocket to do so.

a lot of complaints you see on the internet is for two reasons:

1. we get to be relative strangers and keep our real identities hidden
2. it doesn't cost anything to share our opinions.

those are the exact 2 reasons trolling exists, and why flame wars happen. as far as eye-candy goes, yeah, the formatting wasn't the best. but since it's not even on my list of things i remotely care about or impact my life i let it slide. it's not my board and i rather save my opinions for a topic that actually matters.

this is the internet: we post because we can. sometimes that's not a good enough reason, though.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #124
korme
Go Reds

Where exactly in my life does it ever cost anything to share my opinion?
Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #125
Barkeep49
Coordinator

HA: I think in a community, which we qualify, there is a social cost for some people in how they post. Others, not so much, but I think that you can't discount the social cost entirely here.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #126
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Where exactly in my life does it ever cost anything to share my opinion?

That just cost you 50 cents.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:23 PM   #127
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
HA hit this dead on.

FWIW (and as I've said before) the way this forum is formatted means little in the grand scheme of things in my life. That's not really the issue here. The issue was the manner in which Ben decided to respond to the initial criticism of how he'd reformatted the Dynasty section - locking the thread immediately and saying "deal with it".

The attitude that reply carried makes it easy for someone to wonder about how he moderates the board and his priorities in that role - is this ultimately just a toy for whatever he wants to do, or do the wishes of those of us in this community carry some weight as well? And what exactly is the current balance between those two extremes, and what is the ideal balance?

Since he's issued what will be as close to an apology as he's likely to give about the situation and the formatting has been fixed (again) and the revert from Ryan S's adjustment explained, I'll gladly move along and not spend any more time in this thread.

But I wanted to make it clear that for me, and likely for many others, their issue wasn't really the formatting change so much as it was the way in which a criticism of that change was handled.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #128
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Assuming, of course, that more than 5% of the users give a flying shit who is participating in whatever-it-is-they're-doing. For all the grief the WW threads and participants took, this issue is 100x more annoying to 5x as many people with less than 1% of the participation. My head hurts, so guess what?
You are one more comment away from me driving over and giving you a succulent rubdown.

Tread lightly. Or heavily. It's like a choose your own adventure!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #129
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So am I the only one who just comes directly to the General Discussion forum every time I visit the site?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
You are one more comment away from me driving over and giving you a succulent rubdown.

Can he keep the page in his history and go back if he doesn't like how the results of his choice come out?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #131
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
So am I the only one who just comes directly to the General Discussion forum every time I visit the site?

There is no General Discussion from at FOFC.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #132
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Wow, what high Christmasy drama! All we need is Jacob Marley's ghost and a few puddin'-eatin' Cratchetts and we'd have a ballgame.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 PM   #133
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I read alot of choose your own adventure books when I was a kid and I don't remember any paths that led to a succulent rubdown. I do seem to remember "Encyclopedia Brown and the Happy Ending" though...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #134
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
There is no General Discussion from at FOFC.

But there is Corporal Punishment with Boxing and the Bananation Stick.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Considering the starter I am not surprised, he is a drama queen.

Better a drama queen than a bigot.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:00 AM   #136
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

No.

I could not care less about dynasty stuff, etc. Somtimes I'll go to the ww forum, but that's only when I occasionally play.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #137
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I really don't have a horse in this race either way but this made me say WTF?

Does ayone really care about who is participating ad posting except for the people playing in the challange?

My thoughts too
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #138
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar View Post
Wow, what high Christmasy drama! All we need is Jacob Marley's ghost and a few puddin'-eatin' Cratchetts and we'd have a ballgame.

I know where to find a good recipe for Figgy (Christmas) Pudding.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #139
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Nothing particular beyond what has been seen here in the forum.

I've just become increasingly unimpressed by the absentee ownership, the clear disregard for anything other than his own whims, and just a general impression of arrogance by someone who is completely out of touch with the user base.

What exactly is it the user base is clamoring for though? I wasn't aware there was any particular goal for the board - it's just here, and has a passing relation to FOF.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #140
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Chris Shue is the smartest person I know on Facebook Traveler IQ

$5 says that was his wife's score.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #141
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Is "fresh" now a racist term?

"Hey, these cookies are really fresh!"
"Fuck you, racist asshole!"

Someone had better tell Kool (and the Gang).

Old 12-27-2007, 04:50 PM   #142
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
$5 says that was his wife's score.
Winnah!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:01 PM   #143
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
What exactly is it the user base is clamoring for though?

World Domination and a new technique to masturbate.

Not necessarily in that order.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #144
MJ4H
Coordinator

this thread makes me feel like less of a grandstanding drama queen. i know it doesnt make me less of one, but i do feel like less of one.

also this thread rules
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #145
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I get back at FOFC after a family fun filled Christmas and discover out one of the stupidest dramas ever.

People are actually playing Front Office Football and others start crying about FOF related stuff covering the unrelated stuff. For crying out loud, scroll to the top of this screen and notice the big fat
. So what if the forum outlook is a bit clumsy now, people are actually playing the game this place is devoted to again. So yeah.

Deal with it.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #146
korme
Go Reds

Glad to have you back MIJB! Brian Sipe missed you!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #147
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I get back at FOFC after a family fun filled Christmas and discover out one of the stupidest dramas ever.

People are actually playing Front Office Football and others start crying about FOF related stuff covering the unrelated stuff. For crying out loud, scroll to the top of this screen and notice the big fat
. So what if the forum outlook is a bit clumsy now, people are actually playing the game this place is devoted to again. So yeah.

Deal with it.

lay off the hatorade
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #148
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Deal with it.

No, see, what it looks like now is actually the fixed version. It was much worse.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 PM   #149
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Deal with it.

If you weren't in another country right now, I'd probably hug you.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #150
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
If you weren't in another country right now, I'd probably hug you.

Wow - this is turning into the Gayest. Thread. Ever.