Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #101
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

I have never seen Bill Walton play a single game and I don’t care much about basketball. Still I find the latest Bill Simmons ESPN Podcast absolutely fascinating. To listen to him talk just makes you smile.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM   #102
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Knicks are bad. I know that, we all know that. But there is no way they are supposed to be 30 points worse than the Celtics.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 PM   #103
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Knicks are bad. I know that, we all know that. But there is no way they are supposed to be 30 points worse than the Celtics.

Make that 45 points. 82-37!!!

Classless Celtics running up the score

Last edited by molson : 11-29-2007 at 08:57 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #104
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm embarrassed to be watching this right now...C's up 50!!

Ok...I'm kind of enjoying it, but still...I feel slightly bad.

Last edited by Sublime 2 : 11-29-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #105
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not a big NBA guy but 59 points? Are you kidding me?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. That's crazy
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #107
Anthony
Banned

i think Isaiah Thomas has a bet with his friends to get fired this season, and is doing everything possible to lose his job. you might think that's pretty easy to do, but when you have James Dolan as your boss you have to get pretty creative.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #108
Logan
Head Coach

Outside of any New York Knick, I never want to hear another athlete ever called "overpaid" again when Phil Jackson is making $12 million a year to coach.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #109
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Outside of any New York Knick, I never want to hear another athlete ever called "overpaid" again when Phil Jackson is making $12 million a year to coach.

Last I checked, the situations of an athlete being overpaid and a coach being overpaid are not mutually exclusive.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #110
Atocep
Coordinator

An article that talks about how serious Gilbert Arenas' knee injury really is.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...p?articleid=56

Quote:
Did Agent Zero undergo a new secret procedure, one that will have him back on the court in three months when it has cost others a full year? Is Gilbert Arenas actually some kind of superman, an alien with healing powers far beyond those of mortal men? How will the Wizards will fare without the NBA's most valuable blogger

Arenas underwent knee surgery last week, a combination procedure designed to fix the current, acute problem and to try and minimize the damage down the line. The surgery, performed by Wizards team orthopaedist Marc Connell, had two major elements. In the first, Connell repaired the medial meniscus, the small layer of cartilage between the femur and tibia, the large weight-bearing bones of the upper and lower leg, respectively. In the second, he used microfracture techniques on the head of the fibula, the smaller bone in the lower leg. Microfracture, in which small holes are punched or cut into bone to stimulate bleeding and, hopefully, a healing response (along with creating a "blood bed," a large clot that functions as both nutrition for the area and as cushion) occurs at the site.

It is important to note that Arenas was recovering from a lateral meniscus repair performed in the offseason. Arenas never fully recovered, seeing swelling and pain in the area with activity. It is this surgery that is notable much more than the current procedures, and in fact may be more important, period. In this image, you can see the location of the structures involved. This image is of the right knee from above and forward, with the medial (inside) meniscus on the right and the fibula's head on the right (lateral aspect). When the lateral meniscus was repaired--or, more likely, removed--the jumping, running and stopping likely caused some bone-on-bone contact inside Arenas' knee, especially at the extreme lateral aspect where the fibula is located. This is where the microfracture comes into play.

Unlike other microfracture surgeries, which are normally performed on the tibial plateau (the large, flattish part of the tibia where most weight bearing occurs), the fibula will not require as much recovery time. That said, if the microfracture does not do what it was intended--create healing at the site as well as cushioning--then Agent Zero will find himself back at square one. The longer-term concern is that, absent a complete meniscus on either side, Arenas is more likely to have arthritic changes, continued swelling and a significant negative effect on his skills.

While it is impossible to make an apples-to-apples comparison of the microfracture surgery performed on Arenas to the more well-known applications of the technique on players such as Amaré Stoudamire and Greg Oden, it's also not necessary. Arenas' knees are simply breaking down under the stress of his activity, as proven by continued, chronic swelling and the reduction of function in the twice-repaired meniscus complex. The three-month recovery quoted by the Wizards is extremely aggressive--most physicians interviewed for this piece felt that six months was a more likely scenario--but none would rule it out. "Pain tolerance is what it will come down to," said one orthopaedist who regularly performs this type of surgery on skiers. Arenas may be able to come back from this on his schedule, but for his career, the clock is ticking.

That should make for an interesting summer for Arenas, who holds a player option on the final year of his contract. It was a foregone conclusion entering the season that Arenas would become a free agent and sign a new, more lucrative contract. Teams will surely be more reluctant to throw around that kind of money given the uncertain future of Arenas' knee. It may make more sense for him to play out his contract and try to go into free agency on a more positive note.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

From ESPN
Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- In need of a big man, the Charlotte Bobcats reached agreement Tuesday on a three-year offer sheet with Cleveland restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, giving the Cavaliers a week to match the deal or lose him.

ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reported the offer sheet is worth $17.4 million, which would fit the Bobcats' mid-level salary cap exception.

Varejao's agent, Dan Fegan, could not immediately be reached.

The 6-foot-10 Varejao has been in a prolonged contract dispute with the Cavaliers, which has kept him sidelined this season. He said last week that he would prefer to be traded.

Cavs should match this offer, I would think. And thusly the most bizarre holdout in recent memory will end.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #112
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Cavs should match this offer, I would think. And thusly the most bizarre holdout in recent memory will end.

Isn't that roughly what the Cavs had been offering all along?

Btw, Sixers finally fired Billy King. Has such a bad GM ever been given so much time?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #113
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Isn't that roughly what the Cavs had been offering all along?

Btw, Sixers finally fired Billy King. Has such a bad GM ever been given so much time?

This offer gives Andy an opt out after the 2nd season. Apparently it was something the Cavs didn't want to do.

Billy King is bad, but some of his counterparts are not much better....McHale, Isiah, etc. Hell, I was watching an 80's celtics game the other day, and it was like a bad GM meet and greet on the floor. Ainge may have gotten lucky this year, but he's still a pisspoor GM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #114
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
From ESPN

They definitely should match.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-04-2007, 01:58 PM   #115
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am not sure I understand the timing of the King firing. Oh he defintely deserved to be fired. However, he deserved to be fired before the draft. If you let him draft three first round picks , you might as well let him stick around.

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-04-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #116
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I am not sure I understand the timing of the King firing. Oh he defintely deserved to be fired. However, he deserved to be fired before the draft. If you let him draft three first round picks , you might as well let him stick around.

Apparently he wasn't fired by the owner. He fired several people in the front office and then fired himself admitting that he had done a poor job and there needed to be changes made.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #117
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Apparently he wasn't fired by the owner. He fired several people in the front office and then fired himself admitting that he had done a poor job and there needed to be changes made.

did he do it in front of a mirror?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #118
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
did he do it in front of a mirror?

Thats just a rumor that I've heard so far, but it is rather strange to fire yourself. Even if anyone thats ever watched a sixer game knows how bad of a job you did.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #119
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

If only more executives would take the same stand, if that is true.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #120
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:

Does this mean he will soon be working for the Mets, ala George in Seinfeld?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #121
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cavs match the furry headed Brazillian's offer. I liked Gilbert Arena's take on the situation in his blog.

Anyone else think the Kings are trying to tank this season? Bibby out a further month or more with a thumb injury, and now Kevin Martin is out 4-6 weeks with a groin injury. Abdur-Rahim is also out with knee problems. Kings are currently 7-10, but figure to do much worse with Martin out.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Cavs match the furry headed Brazillian's offer. I liked Gilbert Arena's take on the situation in his blog.

Anyone else think the Kings are trying to tank this season? Bibby out a further month or more with a thumb injury, and now Kevin Martin is out 4-6 weeks with a groin injury. Abdur-Rahim is also out with knee problems. Kings are currently 7-10, but figure to do much worse with Martin out.

The Kings really should make a push for Beasley/Mayo/Rose. If they could trade Bibby and Artest this season and get a few more younger players, they could reload relatively quickly. Petrie will just have to attach guys like Thomas and/or Abdur Rahim along with the "better" players.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #123
Atocep
Coordinator

Kidd is supposedly on strike right now wanting to either be traded or get a contract extension. Thats the real reason he didn't play last night.

Somewhere, Derek Bell is smiling.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN? WANTED FOR STEALING MILLIONS!

32% Shooting, he's probably my most disliked player in the history of me following sports.

credit goes to some guy named Ben on realcavsfans.com

Last edited by stevew : 12-25-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #125
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola

lol

hxxp://heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com/
Old 12-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

lol

hxxp://heylarryhughespleasestoptakingsomanybadshots.com/

That is some funny stuff, especially Mike Brown's present.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #127
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm so tired of Bill Walton's commentary on Kobe. We all know he's just defending the Lakers because his son plays for them.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #128
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I'm so tired of Bill Walton's commentary on Kobe. We all know he's just defending the Lakers because his son plays for them.

Bill Walton is a Los Angeles homer in general. Like it or not, the Lakers are still relevant.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #129
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Celts vs Pistons tonight at the Palace. Should be another great game between the East elite. I expect to see more Tony Allen on Billups than the last game, after Billups tore Rondo up in the second half. Hopefully Ray Allen puts last night behind him and goes off for 30+ and the C's win! Go Celts!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #130
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hawks can't count
Quote:
NBA grants appeal, to replay game

January 11, 2008
NEW YORK (TICKER) -- The NBA on Friday granted a game protest filed by the Miami Heat, the league's first upheld protest in over 25 years.

The Heat protested a scoring error in the final minute of their 117-111 overtime loss to the Atlanta Hawks on December 19 at Philips Arena.

The ruling will result in a replay of the final 51.9 seconds of the game's overtime period, with the Hawks owning a 114-111 lead.

The game will officially be finished prior to the next scheduled meeting between the teams on March 8 at Philips Arena. It is the league's first granted protest since December 14, 1982, when then-Commissioner Larry O'Brien upheld a ruling protest made by the San Antonio Spurs.

According to current Commissioner David Stern's ruling, the NBA on Friday found that the Hawks were "grossly negligent" in committing a scoring error against Heat center Shaquille O'Neal.

With 51.9 seconds remaining in overtime, the official scorer's table incorrectly assessed O'Neal with his sixth personal foul, disqualifying him from the contest.

It actually was the fifth foul committed by O'Neal, who was attributed with a foul late in the fourth quarter that was called against Heat forward Udonis Haslem.

Stern fined the Hawks $50,000, saying that the team's scoring table personnel failed to follow league rules and failed to respond effectively when made aware of the mistake.

"Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered a clear competitive disadvantage," a league statement said. "O'Neal - the Heat's second leading scorer and rebounder that night - was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining."

Yahoo Sports
Old 01-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #131
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
The ruling will result in a replay of the final 51.9 seconds of the game's overtime period, with the Hawks owning a 114-111 lead.

Quote:
With 51.9 seconds remaining in overtime, the official scorer's table incorrectly assessed O'Neal with his sixth personal foul, disqualifying him from the contest.

Quote:
"Because of this conduct by Atlanta's personnel, Miami suffered a clear competitive disadvantage," a league statement said. "O'Neal - the Heat's second leading scorer and rebounder that night - was removed from a one-point game with only 51.9 seconds remaining."

Unless I'm missing something here, whoever released the statement for the league can't count either...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #132
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Unless I'm missing something here, whoever released the statement for the league can't count either...

I think Shaq fouled, when it was a 1 point game, the Hawks player made 2 FT's to make it a 3 point game. That's just my guess, didn't see the game.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #133
JeeberD
General Manager

I can see that, I guess...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #134
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hopefully they will go back and review the other games. This team needs all the help it can get. Depressing.

Last edited by miami_fan : 01-12-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #135
MrBug708
Head Coach

So what if Shaq is hurt and cant play?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #136
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I want to know what happens if there is a trade between now and then.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #137
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I think they should just simulate it in NBA 2k8.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #138
Groundhog
Coordinator

Joakim Noah benched for a couple of games by the Bulls players for talking back to an assistant coach. Apparently it's not the first of his problems either, as he has been late several times this year and was criticized earlier in the year by former coach Skiles for some comments he made after a loss he was DNP-CD'ed in. I didn't really expect that from Noah, but looks like he's got some maturing to do.

Also, Bynum is out for 8 weeks with knee issues which figures to pretty much put an end to the great basketball the Lakers have been playing.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #139
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Joakim Noah benched for a couple of games by the Bulls players for talking back to an assistant coach. Apparently it's not the first of his problems either, as he has been late several times this year and was criticized earlier in the year by former coach Skiles for some comments he made after a loss he was DNP-CD'ed in. I didn't really expect that from Noah, but looks like he's got some maturing to do.

Also, Bynum is out for 8 weeks with knee issues which figures to pretty much put an end to the great basketball the Lakers have been playing.

So is this a case of Noah getting the blame for a horrific season so far? I am not surprised by Noah's actions as he has proven to be capable of over the top behavior. It seems to be that Noah is being made a scapegoat. As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Jay Mariotti

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...1408c2.article
Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 AM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I (and others here) predicted he would be an awful player for being a lottery pick back in the draft thread months ago. It was painfully obvious to me then, and it still is now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:16 AM   #141
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well that goes without saying.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #142
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, anyone who watched college ball knew he was a whiny bitch

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That's the thing. It was so freakin' obvious. I kept trying to figure out for months why scouts rated him so high.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #144
Groundhog
Coordinator

I knew he wouldn't be a "lottery player" (ie. potential star), but I thought he'd be (and still do) an "energy guy" role player like Anderson Varejao. Not a good fit for what Chicago needed and thus a bad pick for them, but he'd help a number of teams lower in the 1st round.

What I didn't expect to see was him causing so many problems early on, but I guess you can never tell with guys once they hit the NBA, because it's not like Noah and co have ever had to suffer through being on bad teams before.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #145
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
So is this a case of Noah getting the blame for a horrific season so far? I am not surprised by Noah's actions as he has proven to be capable of over the top behavior. It seems to be that Noah is being made a scapegoat. As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Jay Mariotti

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...1408c2.article

I actually think this is a good thing for the Bulls, and echo Adrian Wojnarowski's sentiments.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #146
Groundhog
Coordinator

Um, wow. I just checked the NBA standings and the Lakers are the best team in the West. That figures to change with Bynum out for a while yet, but if the regular season ended today and there were no playoff rounds, we'd have ourselves a Lakers-Celtics final!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #147
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am far from an NBA fan and follower but isn't it time for Shaq to retire?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #148
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

He makes 20 mill/year through 09/10 so probably not
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 PM   #149
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

After watching the Heat play far too many times this season (thanks ESPN!), I'm fairly sure he already has.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #150
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol