Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That is not surprising. The PS2 is very popular and has such a huge advantage in install base. Of course, it is going to continue to sell games well, particularly among families who cannot afford or do not want to buy a next gen system. You mentioned the attach rate, but that is also abysmal for the PS3 compared to the 360.

The PS2 is the only reason Sony is able to bankroll the bad start for the PS3. Sony is making quite a bit of money off the PS2 with little to no expenses.

I totally agree regarding the attach rate and said so in my post. My only point was that you were using the game sales numbers as a measurement of how good/bad the system was doing. My point is that the attach rate is a much better measure of the success of the console. Game sales charts only indicate how good the game is relative to the competiting games. Also, game sales charts fluctuate greatly, much like weekly movie revenues. Tune in a month later and the list will be filled with all new games, especially as we enter the fall where new, great games come out on a weekly basis.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
And when sales of the PS3 peaks next month that's not going to be unexpected either. It's what happens in August and September that's going to be interesting.

Agreed. We pretty much know that the PS3 is going to pick up a boost of at least 25,000 units a week for the July numbers. Shouldn't be a surprise unless it exceeds that (doubtful).

One interesting thing will be to watch the 360 sales numbers. Early indicators are that the 360 sales have fallen an additional 5K units a week in July in addition to the 33% drop from last month. They need to get those numbers up so they can get rid of the bad units as quickly as possible, as Bill mentioned.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I like how you just pick out what makes Sony look good.

Honestly, there wasn't really anything new about Sony in that post. The overpriced consoles in Australia and EU are well known. The funny part is that, despite having those ridiculous prices, the PS3 is outselling the 360 in both of those regions on a weekly basis and has been since it's release in those regions. I guess those people have nothing better to do with their money.

Bill also mentioned the Sony execs putting their foot in various parts of their body from a PR perspective, but that's not something new or something that anyone disagrees about. Far as I can tell, they're running a company despite a total lack of PR responsibility as a group.

So I suppose these omissions secure me a job at Sony?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:15 AM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FINALLY, some MGS4 stuff. Metal Gear Solid gameplay by Kojima..........

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/24/me...tably-awesome/

Metal Gear Online betas to start in Japan soon (unfortunately no U.S. users)........

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/24/me...n-this-august/
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #105
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Obviously, I work for Sony because I have harshly criticized the management of Sony in addition to their slow price cut.

No, you obviously work for Sony because despite all these gaffes and missteps, you still think they are going to win this war.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #106
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
One interesting thing will be to watch the 360 sales numbers. Early indicators are that the 360 sales have fallen an additional 5K units a week in July in addition to the 33% drop from last month.

Which could be because of the rumored price cut having people holding off until it does drop,.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:25 AM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Which could be because of the rumored price cut having people holding off until it does drop,.

The release of Halo 3 may also play a factor in people holding off on their purchase. Either way, I'm sure MS has to be concerned with that big of a drop-off with no real opportunity to drop the price of the console in the next few months given the additional incurred expenses.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 AM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
No, you obviously work for Sony because despite all these gaffes and missteps, you still think they are going to win this war.

Doubtful. Sony's goal at this point should just be to pull back to even with the 360 at this point. That would be a major success and passing them would just be gravy on top. I'd be shocked if anyone thought the PS3 was a no-doubter to pass the 360 at any significant level in console sales.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-24-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #109
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obviously, I work for Sony because I have harshly criticized the management of Sony in addition to their slow price cut.

I did nothing more than post something that a respected blogger posted about the 360 situation, which is obviously a big topic right now. I certainly think that's relevant to the discussion. Bill Harris wrote a critical assessment of the situation. Is he an employee of Sony too?

I'm quite capable of reading his blog, I don't need a jb cut and paste job.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:17 PM   #110
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'm quite capable of reading his blog, I don't need a jb cut and paste job.

Some people might not have seen it, just as I post other articles that people might not have noticed. Not sure why that warrants an attack when I'm simply putting up info to add to the discussion. If you have articles/info that seems to contradict what I put up, feel free to post it. I won't attack you doing that.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some people might not have seen it, just as I post other articles that people might not have noticed. Not sure why that warrants an attack when I'm simply putting up info to add to the discussion. If you have articles/info that seems to contradict what I put up, feel free to post it. I won't attack you doing that.

I don't know, we're both Mizzou fans, yet I truly do not understand why you feel the need to call out MS and the 360 on every little negative thing that's posted accross the internet.

I can see your eyes light up as you find yet another possible 360 bashing article and I don't understand it.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #112
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't know, we're both Mizzou fans, yet I truly do not understand why you feel the need to call out MS and the 360 on every little negative thing that's posted accross the internet.

I can see your eyes light up as you find yet another possible 360 bashing article and I don't understand it.

QFT
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #113
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I've posted articles and opinions critical of both systems. The MS quality issues are a major discussion item right now. It likely will be until Halo 3 takes some of the glare away from the problem. If you have some other info that offers a different take on the situation or new news that I haven't posted, feel free to post it.

Attacking my posts because you don't like that the system is being portrayed in a bad light doesn't really add all that much to the discussion. If someone posts something negative about the Wii or PS3, you don't see me making a post saying, "why do you always post negative stuff about those systems????". I create a post with another article that may contradict that post or I post why I agree with it. That's how discussion works.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More interesting data in regards to console sales.

---Wii sales appear to have jumped quite significantly this week. Looks like the supply continues to increase.
---PS3 sales hold steady at around 45K and 28K respectively for the third week in a row.
---360 sales dropped 10% in the past week. Xbox 360 week over week are 20% lower in July overall than the June sales numbers. It appears that July will likely be the 360's worst month ever in regards to console sales.

Quote:
America July 15-21

Wii - 95,470
PS3 - 45,101
360 - 32,345

Europe July 16-22
Wii - 63,564
PS3 - 28,620
360 - 17,827

Here are the sales numbers for 2007 year to date thus far worldwide..........

Quote:
NDS: 6,639,518
Wii: 4,063,852
PSP: 2,344,147
PS2: 1,947,373
360: 1,366,583
PS3: 1,255,931
GBA: 782,804

Little analysis of what the PS3 has to do to rein in the 360. Let's assume that the 360 roughly has a 8M console lead worldwide that Sony has to make up to draw even. Also, let's assume that the PS3 outsells the 360 by roughly 12K each week in Japan going forward (not a stretch as that's roughly the trend). So, taking this week's numbers, the PS3 will gain the following each week:

Europe: 11K
America: 13K
Japan: 12K

Total: 36K

So, if the PS3 were to outsell the 360 by 36,000 units on a weekly basis every single week, it would draw even with the 360 in roughly 4 1/4 years. This also doesn't factor in that the PS3 is currently on a spike in sales due to the price drop.

Moral of the story: Making up 36K units a week worldwide isn't going to cut it. Sony has to try to catch up quicker than that. Another price drop of $100 in addition to the big titles to boost sales is a must, sooner rather than later. MGS4 has gameplay video and it's online companion is heading into beta testing. Sony has to hope that means that good progress is being made to get that game out on the console.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-25-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #115
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:

Moral of the story: Making up 36K units a week worldwide isn't going to cut it.

It also isn't going to happen. 12k/week may be possible in Japan where the 360 is largely ignored, but the sample size is rather small for weeks with those kind of numbers elsewhere to predict that this will continue anywhere but Japan.

It could happen, but you can't just assume it like you can for Japan.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Exactly. Once the 499 60 GB units run out (which will still probably be sometime next year) there is no reason to suspect that the PS3 will maintain these modest gains in sales.

Meanwhile, the 360 has so many top flight titles coming out that sales are going to be spurred, particularly if a rumored price cut comes in the next few months.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Exactly. Once the 499 60 GB units run out (which will still probably be sometime next year) there is no reason to suspect that the PS3 will maintain these modest gains in sales.

Meanwhile, the 360 has so many top flight titles coming out that sales are going to be spurred, particularly if a rumored price cut comes in the next few months.

I would be shocked if that 80 GB system didn't drop to at least $499 once the 60 GB systems are exhausted. But $499 isn't going to be good enough in the grand scheme of things. As I said, they'll have to do more.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM   #118
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Confirmation from a Sony executive that a deal with Konami was reached just before E3 and that MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive. The only problem is that this is a Sony executive, so it must be taken with a grain of salt.......

http://kotaku.com/gaming/addendum/el...nly-282124.php
Old 07-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #119
spleen1015
Coordinator

I feel like I should thank Sony for not giving me a reason to spend hundreds of dollars on the PS3.

Thanks, d00dZ!!!!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #120
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wonder if the Xbox drop is due to people in my situation: finally decided to get one, ready to hand over our money, then they release the Elite which you can't freaking find anywhere. I'm not going to buy the "worse" model, and I can't find the "good" one, so the money goes back in the wallet.

I'm really getting tired of this "scarcity" nonsense.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #121
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Microsoft executive predicts that there will be a 40 GB PS3 for sale by Thanksgiving. These companies often scout each other out, so I'm sure that MS believes this will happen in the near future. This doesn't shock me at all and it's probably a good idea. Produce a bare-bones Blu-ray player/gaming machine with no backward compatibility and no wireless and sell it for $399. It almost makes too much sense.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/level...-hardware.aspx
Old 07-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #122
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I have a Wii and I can't stand it. My daughter doesn't like it either. She has been playing games since she was about 2 and half. She is now 5 and half. She likes her gamecube alot more then the Wii, even though she can play her gamecube games on her Wii.

She hates the controller the scheme for the Wii. In fact pretty much any "real" gamer out there doesn't like the Wii too much. After the initial wow factor, I was like this sucks. I would rather just push A to jump.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 07-25-2007 at 12:45 PM.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #123
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
In fact pretty much any "real" gamer out there doesn't like the Wii too much. After the initial wow factor, I was like this sucks. I would rather just push A to jump.

I guess I'm not a 'real' gamer.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #124
astrosfan64
College Prospect

XBOX 360 = two big advantages XNA/XBOXLIVE and Halo 3 is coming. Though I personally can't stand shooters on consoles the pleebs love it.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #125
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I would agree
Old 07-25-2007, 12:51 PM   #126
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

wtf is a "real" gamer?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #127
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
wtf is a "real" gamer?

Everyone who dislikes the Wii.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 PM   #128
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Neither am I or all of my friends, apparently...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #129
MJ4H
Coordinator

Anyone that agrees with astrofan is a real gamer, obviously.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #130
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Confirmation from a Sony executive that a deal with Konami was reached just before E3 and that MGS4 is a PS3 exclusive. The only problem is that this is a Sony executive, so it must be taken with a grain of salt.......

http://kotaku.com/gaming/addendum/el...nly-282124.php

If true, that kind of sucks. After watching this: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html

I'm kind of liking what I see... and I've never been into MGS before.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-25-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This could be interesting. This likely will mean a big role in Sony or none at all. From Jaffe's blog........

Quote:
Friday (July 27th)-at 12:01am just to be dramatic- I will post news of my future. Again, it's a big deal for me personally and it does deal with my work. So this week I'll be able to spill SOME of the beans...and I'll prob. spew about how I'm dealing with this very, very big change in my work life.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #132
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Neither am I or all of my friends, apparently...

You went to gateway so your point is moot.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You went to gateway so your point is moot.

I fear a St. Louis turf war just broke out in a video game thread.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #134
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

All because of the Wii.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #135
MikeVic
Head Coach

This calls for a video game character draft.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #136
astrosfan64
College Prospect

On a serious note, can any of you name One Game that is good for the Wii that is unique to that system?

Is Zelda "which is the best game on the system" better because of the controll scheme? I would say absolutely not.

Is Paper Mario better because of the control scheme? Again, I would say no.

Is Mario Party better on the Wii then on Gamecube? Again, I would say no and my daughter and her little friends who play it would agree also.

The best game made for the system, is the free one that came with the Wii. There is absolutely no meat to the Wii it is a gimic and they have a great "franchise". The are great at marketing and even my "parents" think it is neat.

Are my parents 68 and 60 years old going to buy a ton of games for it. No.

My definition of a "real" gamer is playing at least 25 hours plus a week. Owning a computer and at least one console. Buying 1 to 2 games a month.

A casual gamer is what the Wii attracts. Which is nice, but definately not the system for me or most "real" gamers.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 07-25-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:17 PM   #137
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

Actually a NJ turf war
Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #138
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Conclusion:

The world needs less "real" gamers.

Say hi to your "parents" for me.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Actually a NJ turf war

Well, that's not a surprise then. I've been to Newark to fill my gas tank. I'm lucky to be alive.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #140
spleen1015
Coordinator

I play more than 25 hours a week.

I have a NES, SNES, Wii, 360 and PS2 all hooked up to tvs. I have a PC specifically built to play games.

I have some where in the neighborhood of 500 games for all of these systems combined.

I like the Wii.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #141
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Conclusion:

The world needs less "real" gamers.

Say hi to your "parents" for me.

Yeah, instead we need guys with 16k message board posts.

You are the ultimate "real" message board warrior.

Say hi to your girlfriend for me. (right or left hand)?

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 07-25-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #142
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:

I have a NES, SNES, Wii, 360 and PS2 all hooked up to tvs. I have a PC specifically built to play games.

I have some where in the neighborhood of 500 games for all of these systems combined.

I like the Wii.

Which system do you like best?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #143
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

I like the Wii.

I guess 25 hours a week is 4 hours a day so not as hardcore as I originally thought.

But do you buy 2 games a month? Hmmm...hmmmm?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #144
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My definition of a "real" gamer is playing at least 25 hours plus a week. Owning a computer and at least one console. Buying 1 to 2 games a month.

A casual gamer is what the Wii attracts. Which is nice, but definately not the system for me or most "real" gamers.

Yikes. That would likely qualify me as a gamer that has one too many children then. No way I'm hitting that requirement.

I do actually agree with your point regarding games for the Wii. The key component for the Wii right now is word of mouth and Wii Sports. We obviously haven't reached the point where those two things wear out their usefulness. I have a Wii and I'm feeling a bit hosed right now. There's just not much available outside of some Nintendo franchises reworked for the control scheme.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #145
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, instead we need guys with 16k message board posts.

You are the ultimate "real" message board warrior.

Say hi to your girlfriend for me. (right or left hand)?

I'm amphibeous.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM   #146
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Every now and then I am reminded why it is a bad idea to click that "view post" link and not just trust my reasons for ignoring someone in the first place...
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #147
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Dang, I'm screwed because I only get to play a few hours per week (I don't think I get to count the 40+ spent making them).

You do realise that your "casual" gamer is actually a pretty big market right now, don't you, and may actually play for 25 hours during the week, just not the type of game you mean? Seriously, there are people playing Bejeweled to death and games like it (Poker has actually been popular online for a LONG time, pre-dating even the popularity of the Internet). The Wii could "suck" for "real gamers" as you say and still win this war and make a ton of money in the process.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #148
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Is irony bragging about how much they play video games and then talking about someone's girlfriend?

Or is that another term?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #149
KWhit
Coordinator

The whole "real gamer" argument is obnoxious.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #150
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
On a serious note, can any of you name One Game that is good for the Wii that is unique to that system?

Is Zelda "which is the best game on the system" better because of the controll scheme? I would say absolutely not.

Is Paper Mario better because of the control scheme? Again, I would say no.

Is Mario Party better on the Wii then on Gamecube? Again, I would say no and my daughter and her little friends who play it would agree also.

The best game made for the system, is the free one that came with the Wii. There is absolutely no meat to the Wii it is a gimic and they have a great "franchise". The are great at marketing and even my "parents" think it is neat.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Sounds like you're making two different arguments.

But Resident Evil 4 is an outstanding game that is definitely better because of its control scheme on the Wii.