General Manager

FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- Authorities say professional wrestler
Chris Benoit, his wife and child were found slain today at their
Fayette County home.
Lieutenant Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department
says the three were found about 2:30 p.m., but he would release no
other details.
Pope says the deaths are being investigated as homicide, but the
cause of death awaits autopsy results tomorrow.
He would not say how the bodies were discovered, or who found
them.

The World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Website that the
40-year-old Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son were found dead
but also had no other details. The seven-year-old was named Daniel.
The W-W-E said that instead of its programming tonight on USA
Network, it would air a three-hour tribute to Benoit.

-I don't know if every mysterious death is "investigated as a homicide", but we also heard that there was no gunshot wounds.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #102
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, if they have flair, malenko or chavo on tonight, i fully expect to be totally choked up.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #103
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
-I don't know if every mysterious death is "investigated as a homicide", but we also heard that there was no gunshot wounds.

generally, all deaths where the cause is not immediately obvious are treated as homicide until proven otherwise. if they were not, evidence would be compromised and no longer available by the time it was determined that it SHOULD be investigated as a homicide.

(and no, i didnt learn that from CSI...i spent 8 years working for the PD)
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
dola, if they have flair, malenko or chavo on tonight, i fully expect to be totally choked up.

I wanna see 'Natch. Or even AA.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:56 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another wrestler who, if he's available on short notice, probably ought to be asked for a comment is Booker. I'm not sure that, without the Best of 7 series, he would have gotten elevated to the status in the business that he's reached.
Not taking anything away from Booker, just saying that the work with Benoit was something that elevated his career.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #106
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Very sad news.

Benoit was scheduled to wrestle at the Vengeance pay-per-view Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called “personal reasons.”
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #107
molson
General Manager

EVERYONE was scheduled to be there tonight, as it was a tri-branded show, so I'm sure they got comments from almost everyone. The ones that aren't on TV will probably be on WWE.com

Last edited by molson : 06-25-2007 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #108
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't mean this to come off sounding bad (hell I enjoyed Benoit more than I enjoyed Owen Hart), but none of the tribute shows since Hart have IMO really come close to rousing the same degree of emotion in me. That one for example, almost had me in tears.

Maybe it's just me, but this is one wrestling death that really hit me hard. For someone I didn't know, this one is really tearing away at me.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:03 PM   #109
molson
General Manager

As awful as this is, there's sure going to be some incredible matches shown on RAW tonight - Benoit v. Malenko up next.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #110
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Maybe it's just me, but this is one wrestling death that really hit me hard. For someone I didn't know, this one is really tearing away at me.

Me too. My brother and father are big wrestling fans, but I only caught a Benoit fight every now and then. I would always stop to watch his matches. This just sucks. Sucks.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #111
molson
General Manager

I just noticed the first line of the AP article I posted above: "Authorities say professional wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and child were found slain today at their Fayette County home."

Either the AP writer slipped up, or the PD revealed more than they intended.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #112
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Another wrestler who, if he's available on short notice, probably ought to be asked for a comment is Booker. I'm not sure that, without the Best of 7 series, he would have gotten elevated to the status in the business that he's reached.
Not taking anything away from Booker, just saying that the work with Benoit was something that elevated his career.

i had forgotten about that series...definitely put booker over as a top line name...they had alot of matches in wcw too, iirc
Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM   #113
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
EVERYONE was scheduled to be there tonight, as it was a tri-branded show, so I'm sure they got comments from almost everyone. The ones that aren't on TV will probably be on WWE.com

for owen and eddie, it was a choice to be on the show...i would assume the people that are appearing asked to do it, as opposed to being asked to do it, or being told to.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #114
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i had forgotten about that series...definitely put booker over as a top line name...they had alot of matches in wcw too, iirc

That famous best of 7 series was WCW - it was absolutely the thing that elevated Booker from "1/2 of Harlem Heat".

Last edited by molson : 06-25-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM   #115
Comey
College Starter

I wonder if they will show the Owen tribute match here. I bet that's last.

This is just sad...seriously sad. And yes, the Owen one was the most difficult to watch. Though that's also because there was a crowd, and matches going on. This one is difficult to watch for another reason...because it's just a dead arena...the silence is deafening.

I will say this, though: I feel like, watching these clips...it's almost like watching Forrest Gump for wrestling. I'm not sure I can pay a higher compliment. Watching Benoit's career highlights is like watching a history of wrestling...seeing this WCW clip of Benoit/Malenko (with Nick Patrick, evil referee), brings back so many memories of being a fan in my teens, and all of these stories (like the nWo, Owen, Eddie/Benoit at WM20, etc)...just amazing to watch.

I just wish there was a much, much better reason for seeing it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

molson - I had forgotten all about the tri-branding tonight, good point though.

General Mike - I kind of know what you mean. Benoit was, for a segment of fans, THE guy for several years. I was thinking about that earlier, that he was really the first guy, as I recall it at least, to be "adopted" by the developing internet wrestling community or "smarts" or "smartmarks" or whatever you want to call them. In a lot of circles, he became a sort of poster child for the sort of performances and performers we really wanted to see in the spotlight.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #117
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Its weird watching this match knowing 3 of the 5 people on screen are now dead. Benoit, Women and Elizabeth.

And the last match they'll show is the WM match he wins the title, and I bet Raw ends with Benoit and Eddie embracing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #118
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

OMFG!!!

One of the better wrestlers of today and past.

Just turned on RAW and found this out.

Just unbelievable!

It's safe to assume that the Vince angle gets totally scraped.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM   #119
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
This one is difficult to watch for another reason...because it's just a dead arena...the silence is deafening.

One of the things that has caught my attention tonight is the emotion evident in Lawler in the opening segment, and then Bradshaw, and then Taz & Joey.

As you pointed out, there's a lot of history that Benoit was involved in over the past decade or so and how many of the current performers had a relationship with Benoit during that time.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM   #120
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
One of the things that has caught my attention tonight is the emotion evident in Lawler in the opening segment, and then Bradshaw, and then Taz & Joey.

As you pointed out, there's a lot of history that Benoit was involved in over the past decade or so and how many of the current performers had a relationship with Benoit during that time.

i thought even vince looked about to break down.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #121
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very interesting to hear Malenko there as he expressed condolences to Benoit's fans. I can't say that I ever remembering hearing a worker do that in a situation like this but I appreciated it.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #122
molson
General Manager

It's odd to see the headline on ESPN.com
Old 06-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #123
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

Agreed. Cena's tribute, Austin's tribute, CM Punk's...and now Deano's tribute...especially Deano's tribute...it makes you appreciate him, not as a performer (or just as one), but as a man, and as a friend to so many, and someone who was looked up to in a very tough profession by so, so many.

I said it on another board...but I read that he was on ECW to groom young talent until going to RAW in 2008. The reason for him going to RAW is that it was at HHH's request, who wanted him on RAW.

To me, that's respect of the highest quality. I hate to say it has to come from HHH...but it is respect that nobody else can pay.

I probably won't see the end of this, but I really, really hope they show the Bret/Benoit match in Kansas City. I think they have to (and I think that, and not the WM20 match) will close the show. It's Benoit's defining moment, in my mind...it shows just how respected he was, and how he's from the true First Family of Wrestling...how he was a member of that family, not just a disciple.

I feel for everyone who was touched by Benoit...but especially Bret Hart and Dean Malenko, who have gone through more than they should.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #124
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
...but especially Bret Hart and Dean Malenko, who have gone through more than they should.
Especially Hart. The number of bad things that have happened to people close to him over the past ten years is starting to get creepy.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #125
saldana
Pro Starter

i remember thinking this when owen died and bret was in WCW...it would be nice if for one night, the competition between WWE and TNA could be set aside...i would imagine Kurt Angle would have something to say here...they had some tremendous matches together.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #126
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

So am I the only person who doesn't know who the hell this guy was? I've never heard this name before I read this thread.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agreed. Cena's tribute, Austin's tribute, CM Punk's...and now Deano's tribute...especially Deano's tribute...it makes you appreciate him, not as a performer (or just as one), but as a man, and as a friend to so many, and someone who was looked up to in a very tough profession by so, so many.

I said it on another board...but I read that he was on ECW to groom young talent until going to RAW in 2008. The reason for him going to RAW is that it was at HHH's request, who wanted him on RAW.

To me, that's respect of the highest quality. I hate to say it has to come from HHH...but it is respect that nobody else can pay.

I probably won't see the end of this, but I really, really hope they show the Bret/Benoit match in Kansas City. I think they have to (and I think that, and not the WM20 match) will close the show. It's Benoit's defining moment, in my mind...it shows just how respected he was, and how he's from the true First Family of Wrestling...how he was a member of that family, not just a disciple.

I feel for everyone who was touched by Benoit...but especially Bret Hart and Dean Malenko, who have gone through more than they should.

i'd love to see Bret's thoughts and Flair's thoughts. I'm sure we'll see HHH's thoughts too.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #128
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
So am I the only person who doesn't know who the hell this guy was? I've never heard this name before I read this thread.
If you're not a wrestling fan, you've probably never heard of the guy. He never had any sort of crossover success, never wanted to do movies or host SNL or do commercials or sell t-shirts. He was just a really, really good wrestler.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
If you're not a wrestling fan, you've probably never heard of the guy. He never had any sort of crossover success, never wanted to do movies or host SNL or do commercials or sell t-shirts. He was just a really, really great wrestler.

fixed that for you
Old 06-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

see, I can't imagine him having anything to do with this. Not with the way she's talking about how much he cared about his family and family and all.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
see, I can't imagine him having anything to do with this. Not with the way she's talking about how much he cared about his family and family and all.

There's some completely unsubstantiated speculation starting to appear around the 'net now that this might have been accidental, possibly carbon monoxide or gas leak or something of that sort. I don't know whether that's wishful thinking on everyone's part or realistic or what.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #132
molson
General Manager

Quote from latest story in AJC:

"Officials were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide"

For the all the strangeness of the apparent delay before the news picked it up, all of this has happened VERY quickly. They were found around 4 PM today, Eastern time. It was posted on WWE.com about 2 hours later. This entire tribute show started 3 HOURS after they found the bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if production for the last hour of the show is still going on.

Last edited by molson : 06-25-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:44 PM   #133
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

goddamnit.

I've spent a lot of this watching, just in shock. I'm so sick and tired of having to sit through tribute shows. so sudden.. goddamnit...
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #134
molson
General Manager

Quote:
There's some completely unsubstantiated speculation starting to appear around the 'net now that this might have been accidental, possibly carbon monoxide or gas leak or something of that sort. I don't know whether that's wishful thinking on everyone's part or realistic or what.

Before news of the death, one of the (reputable) dirt sheets had a source that Benoit's family was vomiting blood, and that's why he was going to miss Vengeance. So that's what what my guess is now.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #135
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

oh FUCK..

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...625benoit.html

Officials were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide
Old 06-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that was beautiful by Chavo. Really...really beautiful. Him & Bret Hart have both been hard-hit, let's not forget.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #137
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gimmicks, angles, storylines, all bullshit aside, my heart just aches for Chavo and the Guerreros. Losing Chris has to be bringing so much back to them right now, just as perhaps some of the healing had begun.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #138
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
oh FUCK..

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...625benoit.html

Officials were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide

i think that is just sensationalism by AJC...the rest of the story is exactly the same as it was 1/2 an hour ago...if they had any more information, why wouldnt they update the rest of the story.

or maybe i just dont want to believe that its possible they are telling the truth.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #139
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Before news of the death, one of the (reputable) dirt sheets had a source that Benoit's family was vomiting blood, and that's why he was going to miss Vengeance. So that's what what my guess is now.

Carbon monoxide poisoning would make sense given that report...

Watching Chavo now, you really have to feel for him losing both Eddie and Chris....it is obvious he was very close to Benoit.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #140
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

oh shit. Lyger vs. Pegasus kid match
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #141
saldana
Pro Starter

dola, the AP stories on SI.com and espn. com still say "being investigated as a homicide"
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #142
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm just having a really tough time watching this. Watching some of his old matches, really is like looking back on memories of growing up. Man.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #143
Hoya1
High School JV

Quote:
oh shit. Lyger vs. Pegasus kid match

classic match. I still have that one on VHS
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #144
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just to speculate .. I can't see it being carbon monoxide based on the simple fact on Satruday he went home with the news his son and wife were bleeding from the mouth. If thats the case he would've had to take them to the hospital. I can't help but feel theres a far darker side to this story.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 PM   #145
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
LOL...WWE plays with fire, gets burned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Unbelievable that there was a fake death in wrestling so recently to be followed by this terrible tragedy.

Interesting to see similar thoughts voiced in two completely different ways and achieving totally different results.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #146
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Interesting and coincedence, USA program info for tonight's RAW:

"Mr. McMahon's Memorial Service"
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #147
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Just to speculate .. I can't see it being carbon monoxide based on the simple fact on Satruday he went home with the news his son and wife were bleeding from the mouth. If thats the case he would've had to take them to the hospital. I can't help but feel theres a far darker side to this story.

I've also seen reports that he never showed up and called in Saturday to tell them he wouldn't be able to wrestle so that would fit the bill for the carbon monoxide story, but I'm not sure what to beleive yet.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #148
Blade
College Prospect

I just want to echo the statements here today. I haven't followed wrestling for a number of years now, but I have always been a fan of Chris Benoit's, especially being from Edmonton, where he grew up. The last live wrestling event I ever went to was specifically to see him after he had the championship belt.

RIP Chris, you will be deeply missed. And I really pray that this was not a murder-suicide.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #149
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I truly hope there is not a darker side. It may be possible that he went home to take care of them and did not go to the Hospital or they did go and it was blamed on something else and they went home after feeling better and died in their sleep....who knows, I would just hate to see a scenario that involved any type of foul play.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #150
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Interesting to see similar thoughts voiced in two completely different ways and achieving totally different results.

Its called tact