Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #101
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
And I personally think that's hogwash - BUT, I accept that argument. At this point, afew people aren't even within a moonshot of getting to this point with me. They keep arguing about things that have no relevance to my point, and then tell me that's the point I'm trying to make. I'm no longer in this to argue FOR my point as being right, just for my point to be understood.

But it's so out there that people can't understand it. Basically you're saying you can't appreciate and admire other people who do a job that you, yourself do. You can't be a player and a fan of the sport; the two roles are mutually exclusive as I understand your argument.

If you don't react with disdain and toss a ball over your shoulder dismissively ( and insulting the player who hit it in the process ala homers throwing back home run balls by the opponents ) then you're a loon.

Can't see any way I'm going to see this as a valid point.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #102
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It just seems to me that taking the stance that Rickey, because he's caught balls as a player and because he'd have access to a bunch of baseballs, he should just not care about the foul ball he caught as a fan is rather cold, unfeeling, and denies one of the principle values of sports.

Namely, the emotional experience that goes along with fandom.

Catching a foul ball as a fan, regardless of what level of baseball you've played at (if any), no matter whether you paid or not, is an experience that makes the catcher feel great that hey, they got the ball.

The ball then becomes not just any ball, but a signifier of that elated emotional state and a symbol of the memory of that happy moment.

Emotions, both positive and negative, and the memories associated with those emotions, are the foundation of sports fandom.

I can accept your premise but personally it feels quite silly to me yet I am a sports fan.

See, I grasp you point. Yay me!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
So, Ricky is so disrespected that he is given free access to the game but is made to sit in foul ball territory?

Someone paid for the ticket he used and if it was the ballclub then yeah, that was an insult and if it was someone else, my point still stands.

Nothing to do with the issue. This has nothing to do with his right to catch and keep a foul ball. I've already said that 12 pages ago. This is about who he is and the relative "need" of a MLB player to keep a foul ball when there are thousands of people who will never even sniff the grass he's had the privilege to play on for 30 years sitting all around him. I'm sure the experience of being a spectator is unique to him, but given who he is, I would think he wouldn't absolutely need to keep a foul ball that happened his way. Just my opinion. Between the haves and have-nots, I'm just suggesting that common sense dictates that the rich not make himself richer when it would be a nice gesture to give the ball to someone who can't just walk into a clubhouse any time he feels like it.

If you can't grasp that point, I don't know what to say.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #104
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Nothing to do with the issue. This has nothing to do with his right to catch and keep a foul ball. I've already said that 12 pages ago. This is about who he is and the relative "need" of a MLB player to keep a foul ball when there are thousands of people who will never even sniff the grass he's had the privilege to play on for 30 years sitting all around him. I'm sure the experience of being a spectator is unique to him, but given who he is, I would think he wouldn't absolutely need to keep a foul ball that happened his way. Just my opinion. Between the haves and have-nots, I'm just suggesting that common sense dictates that the rich not make himself richer when it would be a nice gesture to give the ball to someone who can't just walk into a clubhouse any time he feels like it.

Are you saying Rickey Henderson is old?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #105
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Nothing to do with the issue. This has nothing to do with his right to catch and keep a foul ball.

Since apparently the kid didn't complain about not being given the foul ball, of course it does. Under what circumstances WOULD it be ok for him to catch and keep a foul ball? If there were no kids around? If he was the only one in the section? If he was only one in the ballpark? This whole thing is absurd.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #106
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I undestand your point. I also understand it's a jackass argument.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #107
Ksyrup

Quote:
But it's so out there that people can't understand it. Basically you're saying you can't appreciate and admire other people who do a job that you, yourself do. You can't be a player and a fan of the sport; the two roles are mutually exclusive as I understand your argument.

If you don't react with disdain and toss a ball over your shoulder dismissively ( and insulting the player who hit it in the process ala homers throwing back home run balls by the opponents ) then you're a loon.

Can't see any way I'm going to see this as a valid point.

Not my point. This isn't about player/fan being mutually exclusive. It's what the relative worth of that ball is to him versus those around him, given his life experiences. I simply don't buy the argument that this foul ball would be so special to him that he would feel the need to deprive someone who hasn't done what he's done in the game from having their "moment." I don't think it should mean that much to him - the physical aspect of it, the ball itself. The emotion, sure I am willing to grant that. But insisting that it be tied to that ball...nope.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #108
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I *hate* the fact that all you jerks out there get to pick up a copy of the game I worked on before I get my copy from work. Sure, I've been playing it for the last year, but I want my own real live copy sitting at home so I can play it with all the rest of you just as bad as I do, but I have to wait for it to get shipped here a month after it hits the store shelves before I can take it home to play.

So I know how Ricky feels. If one from his "pile of MLB balls at home" is worth the same as this foul ball, then why isn't him giving an autographed one even better? He's a baseball fan just like everyone else, and this was just as big a deal to him as it would be to everyone else. He didn't take it from anyone, he's probably thrown a bunch of balls into the stands for kids (or hit the fouls for them) in the past, and he handed the kid an autographed ball so he'd have a cool memory to take home.

I have no clue how this makes him a bad guy.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #109
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Since apparently the kid didn't complain about not being given the foul ball, of course it does. Under what circumstances WOULD it be ok for him to catch and keep a foul ball? If there were no kids around? If he was the only one in the section? If he was only one in the ballpark? This whole thing is absurd.

there is no circumstance that it seems logical for him to be excited about a foul ball
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #110
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Are you saying Rickey Henderson is old?

Old enough that as former major leauge baseball player, clinging to a foul ball is childish. Yes.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:40 PM   #111
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Not my point. This isn't about player/fan being mutually exclusive. It's what the relative worth of that ball is to him versus those around him, given his life experiences. I simply don't buy the argument that this foul ball would be so special to him that he would feel the need to deprive someone who hasn't done what he's done in the game from having their "moment." I don't think it should mean that much to him - the physical aspect of it, the ball itself. The emotion, sure I am willing to grant that. But insisting that it be tied to that ball...nope.

I simply don't buy the argument that you, or anybody else, has any right to tell anybody else what they should or should not value.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #112
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
there is no circumstance that it seems logical for him to be excited about a foul ball

Its not logical for ANYBODY to get excited about a foul ball.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #113
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Old enough that as former major leauge baseball player, clinging to a foul ball is childish. Yes.

Why? Grown men catch foul balls at baseball games all the time and keep them, I don't see any of them being ripped in this thread.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #114
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I simply don't buy the argument that you, or anybody else, has any right to tell anybody else what they should or should not value.

I have the right to make fun of him the same way he has a right to hoard foul balls.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #115
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I *hate* the fact that all you jerks out there get to pick up a copy of the game I worked on before I get my copy from work. Sure, I've been playing it for the last year, but I want my own real live copy sitting at home so I can play it with all the rest of you just as bad as I do, but I have to wait for it to get shipped here a month after it hits the store shelves before I can take it home to play.

If you're Rickey, you can take an assload of them home with you every night. Your point?

And why do you guys insist on bringing up the kid or the autograph as if it is relevant in any way? I'm not Paula Abdul - I'm not going to get sidetracked because of some irrelevant sympathy play!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #116
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Its not logical for ANYBODY to get excited about a foul ball.

that's pretty much true so I impune all of you foul ball lovers

Last edited by rkmsuf : 05-10-2007 at 01:44 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #117
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Why? Grown men catch foul balls at baseball games all the time and keep them, I don't see any of them being ripped in this thread.

And when they've played major league baseball for living, please post about them and I'll rip them.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #118
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

give me some names and I'll rip them
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #119
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
And why do you guys insist on bringing up the kid or the autograph as if it is relevant in any way?

Because it is. Let's imagine Rickey is the only person in his section and catches a foul ball. What should he do with it?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:45 PM   #120
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

It'd be a nice gesture to buy everyone at the game a ferrari but it doesn't make him a loon because he didn't.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #121
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

"""".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #122
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
And when they've played major league baseball for living, please post about them and I'll rip them.

Rickey the player and Rickey the fan are different people. I don't see how you're not grasping this.

Your basic premise seems to make it silly that he would even attend a baseball game as a fan.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #123
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
When I was two years old, foul ball was headed right to me at a Dodger game. Problem is, we were seated back near the overhang for the next deck up, and a guy leaned over and snagged the ball on its downward path.

I reacted about like most two year olds would, but I survived.

This kid will too.

When you were TWO? Really?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #124
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Because it is. Let's imagine Rickey is the only person in his section and catches a foul ball. What should he do with it?

make love to it
Old 05-10-2007, 01:46 PM   #125
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I have the right to make fun of him the same way he has a right to hoard foul balls.

You need to focus on the positive.

Rickey was not: Chattering on his cellphone; taking pictures of himself with the ball on his cellphone; txting people about the awesome foulball he just caught; murdering his ex-wife and lover; injecting steroids in his butt.

Rickey Henderson is the best ballplayer I ever saw, baseball needs more like him and less like Clemens and Bonds.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #126
Ksyrup

Quote:

Keep up with the thread. I've already run through that scenario. He could keep it, but I don't see why he wouldn't do anything other than toss it over his shoulder. Seems ridiculous that he'd want it, even absent anyone else in the crowd. But at least there'd be no one else who could benefit from it, so I wouldn't see a problem with him keeping it. I'd just question why he'd want it in the first place.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #127
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Old 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #128
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

He's already answered that and said none. There is no circumstance that keeping the ball is ok even if he's the only one at the game.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #129
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Rickey the player and Rickey the fan are different people. I don't see how you're not grasping this.

Your basic premise seems to make it silly that he would even attend a baseball game as a fan.

Ricky the player and Ricky the fan are, the last time I checked, one person.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:51 PM   #130
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
there'd be no one else who could benefit from it, so I wouldn't see a problem with him keeping it. I'd just question why he'd want it in the first place.

Who the fuck are you to question why he'd want it? None of your business.

And you clearly establish here that the presence of other people (in this case, the kid) matter.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #131
Ksyrup

Quote:

Nope. Again, I've already addressed this. I've already stated that the issue is not that he can't be a fan, but that his emotional attachment to his role as fan would need to be manifested through the foul ball. Particularly when the people around him, by virtue of having NOT been a ball player their entire life, would attach far greater significance to having the ball than a ball player would.

It's common courtesy, being selfless, and understanding the circumstances you're in. If I had unfettered access to something, I would personally feel wrong for taking something that I know I can get whenever I wanted, at the expense of people I know it would mean more to. I guess that's the bottom line for me. This really isn't about baseball or Rickey Henderson or a kid, it's more of a universal respect issue. Maybe if I explain it that way...does that get through to anyone (irrespective of whether you agree with it)?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #132
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you're Rickey, you can take an assload of them home with you every night. Your point?

My point is there is a HUGE difference between the copy I've been building and messing with at work, and the one in the nice shiny package with the manual and everything. Seriously. It's a huge rush to go see them sitting on store shelves, too. And I love picking up games from other developers or friends or whoever. I don't stop being a fan just because I code games all day long. Why does Ricky stop becoming a fan (with everything that goes with it) just because he's played the game? Sure, he's had experiences others haven't, but they've had or will have experiences he hasn't.

There is a HUGE difference between a foul ball he caught while in the stands, and the pile of them he's got sitting around somewhere else. Completely different experience. If he had 3 or 5 or 12 foul balls he'd caught at other times while in the stands watching and not playing, I'd agree with you. If this was his first one, then I see where it would be special to him.

Catching a ball while in the stands is such a big deal that Steve Bartman cost the Cubs a spot in the World Series to catch one.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #133
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Deprive? Deprive?

How did you pick one kid out of an entire stadium and decide that HE was deprived since there is no evidence that he feels that way.

What if the entire stadium was full of major league hall of famers. What do you do then? Destroy the baseball in a huge pyre?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #134
Logan
Head Coach

Honestly, fuck all of you who are trying to tell Rickey what types of things he could get excited about. Who the hell are you? Yes, it's different when you catch a foul ball in a real live game compared to the stockpile of balls you would have since you play the game.

If I'm a member of Shea Stadium's field maintenance crew, I'm on the field while the team is practicing and taking BP. Hell, maybe during some downtimes I'm allowed to go out there and shag some flies. This allows me direct contact with major league baseball players and their balls (quote that fucker). If the team says that all the busted up balls are free to be taken by whoever wants them, and as a result I have a bucket of Shea Stadium-used baseballs in my garage, HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT DIMINISH THE SIGNIFICANCE OF CATCHING A FOUL LINE DRIVE OFF THE BAT OF ALBERT PUJOLS IN ST LOUIS?

God I hate some of you (only in this thread...I <3 Ksyrup for his AI scoops).

Last edited by Logan : 05-10-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #135
st.cronin
General Manager

My theory is that some people for some reason just hate Rickey Henderson. All the dickwads in sports, and people focus on Rickey? THAT is absurd.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #136
Ksyrup

Quote:
Who the fuck are you to question why he'd want it? None of your business.

And you clearly establish here that the presence of other people (in this case, the kid) matter.

I'm saying from a moral standpoint, the existence of others matters. I was trying to soften my stance so that maybe somebody would grasp the point. Otherwise, though, my point is the same, regardless of who is there - why would a ball player need to keep a foul ball?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #137
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Deprive? Deprive?

How did you pick one kid out of an entire stadium and decide that HE was deprived since there is no evidence that he feels that way.

What if the entire stadium was full of major league hall of famers. What do you do then? Destroy the baseball in a huge pyre?

Throw it back obviously. Or ignore it. You think Hank Aaron is diving for a loose ball? How about like Jim Rice...he's going all out to fulfil his dream of catching a foul ball?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #138
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
I'm saying from a moral standpoint, the existence of others matters. I was trying to soften my stance so that maybe somebody would grasp the point. Otherwise, though, my point is the same, regardless of who is there - why would a ball player need to keep a foul ball?

He doesn't NEED to. He wants to, and he has a right to.

knives out
Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #139
Ksyrup

Quote:
Deprive? Deprive?

Ha! The act itself is a deprivation.

Man, you guys like to get worked up about nothing, don't you?

Where's Wade when I need him?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #140
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Otherwise, though, my point is the same, regardless of who is there - why would a ball player need to keep a foul ball?

And our point is:

why shouldn't he want to?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #141
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Honestly, fuck all of you who are trying to tell Rickey what types of things he could get excited about. Who the hell are you? Yes, it's different when you catch a foul ball in a real live game compared to the stockpile of balls you would have since you play the game.

If I'm a member of Shea Stadium's field maintenance crew, I'm on the field while the team is practicing and taking BP. Hell, maybe during some downtimes I'm allowed to go out there and shag some flies. This allows me direct contact with major league baseball players and their balls (quote that fucker). If the team says that all the busted up balls are free to be taken by whoever wants them, and as a result I have a bucket of Shea Stadium-used baseballs in my garage, HOW THE FUCK DOES THAT DIMINISH THE SIGNIFICANCE OF CATCHING A FOUL LINE DRIVE OFF THE BAT OF ALBERT PUJOLS IN ST LOUIS?

God I hate some of you (only in this thread...I <3 Ksyrup for his AI scoops).

Yeah that's real significant. Big ups to you heros that achieve this AND and a hall of fame baseball career.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #142
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Catching a ball while in the stands is such a big deal that Steve Bartman cost the Cubs a spot in the World Series to catch one.

Winner.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #143
Ksyrup

Quote:

Absolutely. I've already said as much. At least twice, if not more. The whole issue is why he would want to. I don't really care what he thinks about it, the fact that any major league player would want a foul ball strikes me as odd.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-10-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #144
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

no shit and again the point is lost
Old 05-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #145
Ksyrup

And what major league team did Steve Bartman play for again?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #146
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
my point is the same, regardless of who is there - why would a ball player need to keep a foul ball?

It's been repeated ad nauseum in this thread. Being a pro player has zero impact on his experience as a baseball FAN. They are completely different worlds of experience.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #147
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
And our point is:

why shouldn't he want to?

and therein lies that central point. if you aren't seeing the point of why he shouldn't that explains the 3 pages thus far.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Absolutely. I've already said as much. At least twice, if not more. The whole issue is why he would want to. I don't really care what he thinks about it, the fact that any major league player would want a foul ball strikes me as odd.

So, after a 47 year baseball career...we have finally established that Rickey Henderson is odd.

Now can we end this?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #149
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ksyrup- henderson has every right to keep the ball, stop trying to use the kid as an excuse to bash Rickey.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #150
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man, you guys like to get worked up about nothing, don't you?

Pot, kettle, black.

But the whole thread has been fun anyway. I've got a boring compile, and there's nothing like a good ethics argument between two sets of people with obviously different values and perspectives to pass the time.

The whole fundamental argument revolves around whether or not you feel that Ricky having played a significant amount of Major League Baseball has to forego his rights and privileges as a fan because of it. You feel he does, we feel he doesn't. It's that simple.

My perspective is that as someone who gets to do something really cool that lots of other people wish they could, I am just as much (moreso?) a fan of games as anyone else is, and it doesn't stop me from thinking it's cool to meet other game developers or play their games or go to E3 or whatever. And I think Rickey thinks it's just as cool to catch a foul ball as any other fan.