Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #101
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah, he'll be interesting to follow. I don't think he'll slip into the 3rd round though, unless a physical shows something really bad. A team like the Jets, with two 2nd round picks, would probably jump all over him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #102
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I wonder if he's an intriguing to Shanahan as Clarett was?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #103
Ksyrup

I wonder if he's as intriguing to Shanahan as Clarett was?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #104
timmynausea
College Starter

I see the points about Michael Bush, but he was a senior this past year, so he would be applying for an additional year in college. He thought long and hard about coming out last year, when he basically would've been a 2nd round pick, but was basically talked into staying and altering his running style so he could improve his stock. Instead he broke his leg.

He probably really regrets coming back and just wants to get out of there, especially since his coach is gone. 3rd round money is still a ton for a college kid, and I think Bush will turn out a lot better than Clarett. He's bigger (250) and faster than Maurice.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #105
Ksyrup

He could be McGahee, who knows. It just sucks for him that the timing of his recovery is not going to maximize his draft potential, even if he comes back to 100% of what he was.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #106
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We're really not talking about a ton of money. Unless you're a top half of the first round pick your first contract isn't going to be overwhelming. If he's good he'll be able to make plenty of cash on his second contract.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 PM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I see the points about Michael Bush, but he was a senior this past year, so he would be applying for an additional year in college. He thought long and hard about coming out last year, when he basically would've been a 2nd round pick, but was basically talked into staying and altering his running style so he could improve his stock. Instead he broke his leg.

He probably really regrets coming back and just wants to get out of there, especially since his coach is gone. 3rd round money is still a ton for a college kid, and I think Bush will turn out a lot better than Clarett. He's bigger (250) and faster than Maurice.

My only response to that is that he was also coming off a severe injury during his junior year. It's been awhile since he's been at full strength, and that might hurt him come draft time. A full year injury-free can make him a top 10 pick next year, probably right behind McFadden at RB.

Of course, the obvious counterpoint to that is...if he goes back and gets hurt again, it could be a "3 strikes and you're out" scenario where no team will look at him next year. So in that case, it would be a good move to go now.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #108
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Heh.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...gimmefive.html

Published on: 01/09/07

Louisville Courier-Journal columnist Rick Bozich gives us five things every Falcons fan should know about Bobby Petrino:

1. Don't believe the stories that he sleeps in his office during training camp. They're not true. Bobby Petrino doesn't sleep anywhere during training camp.

2. He'd rather visit his proctologist than visit with the media.

3. He'll wait until at least August until he listens to an offer for another job. Unless, of course, somebody contacts him in June or July.

4. Petrino is the Italian who coached in Louisville who did not wear the Brioni suits and Bruno Magli loafers.

5. He's not going to think these little lists are very funny, especially if they concern him.

Bump just to say this post is a whole lot funnier today than it was January!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #109
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal View Post
This guy is a good coach. That being said he is a major low-life. When he interviewed at Auburn behind the back of his "friend" Tommy Tuberville i lost all respect for this guy. This is a guy whose words are said to impress potential recruits and have nothing to do with truth and honesty. I don't care about Louisville but losing this guy is going to be for the good in the long run. Never, ever hire guys like this. There are enough good coaches out there whose word means something.

I don't blame him for saying things about staying at Louisville that he obviously did not mean because that is a necessity for recruiting. But i blame him for that Auburn affair and i would never touch a guy like this. Louisville will come out the winner in this deal..

wow. A+ on the homework.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #110
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
wow. A+ on the homework.

Indeed. I hope this puts an end to NFL teams hiring these "next big thing" college coaches and give preference to those coaches that actually are already involved in the pro game and know how to handle professional players. If somebody on FOFC had such a good read on the character of this guy, how did Blank and McKay not get it? This should look bad for them as well. It's their job to not get schooled by an employee like this.

Last edited by Tekneek : 12-13-2007 at 08:08 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #111
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Yeah - even after Petrino forcefully denied he had interviewed with Auburn officials, a reporter showed him the flight logs which showed Auburn chartered their private plane to fly from Auburn to the airport in Ohio just over the river from Louisville. Petrino still denied talking to Auburn officials, but after the reporter ran the story in the paper, Auburn admitted to interviewing Petrino, and then he came clean.

He's a scumbag.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #112
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Dola - here's a wrinkle that may get some play today....

Seems Jerry Jones - Cowboy's owner and Arkansas alum - brokered the interview between Petrino and Arkansas. Jones didn't even speak to Arthur Blank about it, much less ask for permission to talk to Petrino about the Arkansas job.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 12-13-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #113
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #114
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Seems Jerry Jones - Cowboy's owner and Arkansas alum - brokered the interview between Petrino and Arkansas. Jones didn't even speak to Arthur Blank about it, much less ask for permission to talk to Petrino about the Arkansas job.

source?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #115
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

According to the AJC, Jones asked both McKay and Blank for permission and they both said no.

"From my perspective, the answer is no," Blank said he told Jones. But Blank told Jones to call Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager, for a formal answer.

On Friday, Petrino called Blank to tell him he was thinking of returning to college coaching. That same day, McKay talked to Jones. "I told him I was not inclined to grant permission," McKay said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...deal_1213.html

Last edited by Tekneek : 12-13-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #116
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
According to the AJC, Jones asked both McKay and Blank for permission and they both said no.

"From my perspective, the answer is no," Blank said he told Jones. But Blank told Jones to call Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager, for a formal answer.

On Friday, Petrino called Blank to tell him he was thinking of returning to college coaching. That same day, McKay talked to Jones. "I told him I was not inclined to grant permission," McKay said.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...deal_1213.html

Right, which is even worse. He asked, was told no, and then Petrino and Arkansas met anyway. Nice.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #117
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

More shady stuff has come out...

Petrino's new boss, Arkansas AD Jeff Long, defended his new coach in a story published in the Dayton Daily News. "Here's what I want you to know," Long is quoted at saying. "I'm an ethical person. I want to do things the right way. Had I wanted to talk to him [Petrino] while he was head coach of the Falcons, I would have called and asked."

Those statements contradict the sequence of events that occurred on Tuesday, when Petrino swapped jobs.

Long told both The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on Wednesday that he flew to Atlanta Tuesday afternoon and met with Petrino and Campbell in downtown Atlanta. The meeting, Long said, began at 2 p.m. Long and Petrino agreed on a basic outline of a deal and Petrino left.

Petrino returned to Falcons headquarters in Flowery Branch and walked into the office of Rich McKay, the team's president and general manager, to resign sometime after 5 p.m. Blank said he received a call from Petrino after Petrino spoke to McKay.

"When he called me for the 30-second conversation after he resigned, I said to him. 'I assume you're going to Arkansas,' " Blank told the AJC. "He said he didn't know what he was going to do. I swear to God. He never admitted then that he was going to Arkansas."

So Arkansas AD claims that Petrino was already out when he offered him the job, but the evidence says otherwise. It seems to me that getting involved with Bobby Petrino is anything but an exercise in good ethics and values.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #118
Synovia
High School Varsity

"So Arkansas AD claims that Petrino was already out when he offered him the job, but the evidence says otherwise. It seems to me that getting involved with Bobby Petrino is anything but an exercise in good ethics and values."

Why are ethics even involved. His contract said he could opt out.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #119
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
So Arkansas AD claims that Petrino was already out when he offered him the job, but the evidence says otherwise.

What evidence? One side claims one thing, the other something else.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #120
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
What evidence? One side claims one thing, the other something else.

It doesn't sound like the times of the meetings were in question, but the timing of the resignation.

Long's meeting with Petrino was at 2, and Blank's was at 5. It sounds like Petrino told Long he had already quit when it wasn't the case yet.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #121
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755 View Post
It doesn't sound like the times of the meetings were in question, but the timing of the resignation.

Long's meeting with Petrino was at 2, and Blank's was at 5. It sounds like Petrino told Long he had already quit when it wasn't the case yet.

Maybe Petrino had resigned via a letter to Blank before 2, but Blank just hasn't found the letter yet.

Last edited by BrianD : 12-14-2007 at 02:16 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #122
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Maybe Petrino had resigned via a letter to Blank before 2, but Blank just hasn't found the letter yet.

Michael Vick's dog ate it?
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #123
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is difficult to tell, but it's all a technicality anyway. Even though they never talked before that day, everyone knows they "talked" before that day (through intermediaries at the very least).
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #124
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Why are ethics even involved. His contract said he could opt out.

I didn't play the ethics card. The Arkansas AD played it.

Whether or not this is the way "everybody does it", the claim of Jeff Long that it was completely ethical would not appear to be true. Legal, or just the same as everybody else? Probably so. Just because most people do it a particular way (or that it is legal) does not mean it is ethical.

At the same time, the Falcons should never have hired the guy, so they get what they deserve. My problems with how this played out have more to do with the character and competence of the parties involved.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #125
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Indeed. I hope this puts an end to NFL teams hiring these "next big thing" college coaches and give preference to those coaches that actually are already involved in the pro game and know how to handle professional players.

I agree with this 100%.

I think the problem is that executive-types like Blank (not necessarily all) do not want to hear things like, "Well...I would expect to be very competitive within 3 years of establishing my persona on the team, and of course some roster changes as well. This could be anybody from our 1st string QB to the 3rd string PR." They want to hear how their current team should be winning more and shouldnt need any major changes to win now.

So...when a veteran NFL coach(or coordinator) comes in to interview and states a more realistic approach they feel is needed, and lays out a more realistic set of expectations, it just doesnt sound good. Guys like Parcells are just not very common...meaning a successful & proven HC who's expertise is nearly unquestioned.

I suppose it's like that in many professions, though. But unlike most other professions, success is not just determined by profit.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #126
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

John Abraham (DE, Falcons) is on the Scott Ferrall show right now and it's pretty funny. He is talking about how they have a real coach this year, not like that rat last year. Called him a rat, a weasel, and just overall showed great love for the guy.

Gone but not forgotten I guess.