Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I fire my New England scout and hire:

Leslie Ritter, 48

Terrific - D-Line
Very or Pretty Good - RBs, WRs, O-Line, K
Poor - Sec
Lousy - QB, LB

After last year's debacle in New England, I can only hope that our new scout will do a better job.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:33 AM   #102
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I also hire a new Syndicate Coordinator:

Mitch Sutton, 46

Academic Eligibility: Good
NCAA Investigations: Terrible
Solicit Donations: Very Good

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 04:42 AM   #103
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Scheduling:

A quick look at the schedule tells me that we are doing fine. I don 't want CFU or Marshall, and we don't have them. Excellent. Now the time for the scheduling.

I start off by offering UCLA a home game. I figure that a bowl matchup would be good TV, plus we'd be at home. Good opposition would be nice. I think that we are at the place where we can start scheduling slightly better teams. Still no Miami or Florida or stuff.

Princeton offers us an away game. No thanks.

I offer WVU a home game but they refuse. UConn wants an away game. I offer a home game, but they reject my counteroffer.

Duke is interested in an away game. Not my caliber of team anymore though. I offer BYU a home game. They also refuse.

Purdue is offering a home this year and an away next. I offer just a home game. They accept.

I get ballsy and offer Michigan State a home game. They refuse, which is probably good for us. Arizona wants an away game. I have no real desire to travel to Arizona so I offer a home game. They accept.

2009 EATERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY SCHEDULE

Week 1 - PURDUE
Week 2 - ARIZONA
Week 3 - Bye
Week 4 - Bye
Week 5 - at Akron
Week 6 - YALE
Week 7 - at Ball State
Week 8 - at Miami of Ohio
Week 9 - NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Week 10 - BOWLING GREEN
Week 11 - WESTERN MICHIGAN
Week 12 - at Central Michigan
Week 13 - TOLEDO

Nice schedule. The first two games are landmines, but I think we can compete. At Akron is a nasty way to start the MAC Season, but the rest os a breeze. All of the harder games are at home, and the easier ones, like Ball State, are away. If we can survive through the first three games, it should be smooth sialing.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 04:53 AM   #104
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Once we get our freshmen on the field, we have a bettter idea of their abilities:

Because we've had two QB defections in teh past two years, plus two QBs graduate, we only have three on the roster, and two of those are freshmen:

QB Artie Brown - Very green, needs work. But has tons of potential. QB of the future.

QB Pat Pierce - Also green, much less potential but needs just as much work.

RB Corwin Collier - While Corwin will be wearing red, he has good abilities. Might start someday. Maybe not.

TE Bryant Gilmore - Has ability to start right away. Unfortunately, loses out on competetion. Will not be redshirted, however, as he is a valuable backup.

WR Rob Shanks - Definite starter potential. Will compete with the crowded field for the number three spot. If he loses out, will be redshirted to keep his eligibility.

T Emmanuel Morris - Future starter, current red-shirter

P Emmanuel Buckley - Comes in as starter. Needs to develop.

K Carlos Page - Comes in as starter. Amazing leg with amazing potential. Best kicker on our team ever. Best kicker potential I've ever seen in college ball.

DE Andy Ross - Will never be anything other than a backup.

ILB Dixon Wingate - Outside shot at starting in the future. But will definately wear a redshirt for now.

OLB Pat Jenkins - Great potential, probable future starter. Needs serious devo time, however, and will be adorned in crimson.

CB Ed Boss - May start well in the future. Will ride pine for now

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 05:01 AM   #105
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Academics:

Eight players received team signed footballs from last year for having 4.00 GPAs.

T Bruce Derricott was released from the team. He was a walkon without much talent, was not liked by the other players, had poor grades and lost his girlfriend.

CB Brad Perkins was also released. He was another walkon with lousy popularity and poor grades.

G Richie Hammond was the last guy release. Although a scholarship player, he was a very poor player and had lousy grades and popularity.

These guys need to concentrate on their classes, not on football.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 02:13 PM   #106
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Excerpt from Pardon The Interruption, with your hosts Jim Wilbon and Jim Rome. July 6, 2009

Jim Wilbon: Next up is Eastern Michigan University coach Abe Sargent. Here is a guy who is looking pretty good right now. Several colleges have offered him the head coach position, yet he is choosing to remain at EMU, the MAC Champions two of the past three years.

Jim Rome: Eastern is looking smart for picking him up. THey have never had real football success until this guy showed up. But they had to go through four awful years of football to develop him. I don't think that it was worth it.

Wilbon: How can you say that? Eastern had never won a MAC title before. Now they have two. That's pretty good if you ask me.

Rome: What I fear is that every yokel will think that they can be a head coach now. When one inexperienced coach wins, everybody thinks they can do it.

Wilbon: They had two Heisman finalists this past year. QB Justin Goodwin, who graduated, and RB Vernon Godfrey, who still has two years of eligibility left. Can EMU stay on top?

Rome: Not with their QB situation. Goodwin and Ashraf have graduated - both starting caliber quarterbacks. Two more have transferred out of EMU - they wanted mor playing time. So now the Eagles are stuck with two true freshmen and a junior who has never started a game.

Wilbon: I don't care how bad the QB is, with their ground game, and in the MAC, they have time to develop.

*Ding*

Wilbon: Alright, after the now infamous Detroit Debacle, head coach Steve Mariucci has taken over the coaching duties in Arizona. Yesterday, the Cardinals announced a new position coach. Lot's of new head coaches turnover the old coaching staff - so in and of itself, this is no surprise. But, the new receivers coach for the Cardinals is Terrell Owens who retired this past year. Isn't this wrong on so many levels?

Rome: I'll tell you why I like this move.....

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 02:57 PM   #107
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Heisman Watch

Mel Kiper, Jr.
ESPN.com

Going into the season this year we have, as always, several early contenders for the Heisman. Here are those who have an early shot at the coveted trophy.

RB Vernon Godfrey, Eastern Michigan - Vernon was #3 in teh voting last year and returns to Eastern. He has to be considered the favorite to win it all this year. Strikes against him are several, however. Eastern will have an unproven quaterback at the helm, thus allowing defenses to key in on Godfrey. And he plays in the MAC, which doesn't get the national press of other schools. Lastly, RB gets less play than QBs do, so he might lose out to a QB. Still, until his production slows or another players does an mazing job, the perception is that the Heisman is Godfrey's to lose.

RB Marcus Evans, Arizona State - Another RB who could make a lot of noise is Arizona State's Marcus Evans. Here we have a back who rushed for 2764 yards in his first two seasons. Now he has every possibility of having an explosive season.

WR Grady Erdrich, Florida - A great receiver who comes from a large school. The wide receiver from West Virginia needs to improve upon last season when he had 1146 yards receiving. He appears to have all of the tools necessary to take his game to the next level.

QB Tyrone Ameche, Florida State - Fifth year senior Ameche will lead a powerful and vaunted offense at Florida State. Expect only good things from a guy who finished in the Heisman Top 10 last year. Ameche is the ealry leader among Quarterback candidates for the Heisman, and could easily surpass Godfrey as the overall leader.

WR Clifton Williamson, Kansas State - The receiver from K State needs to improve his catching. The past two years, he has caught about half the balls tossed his way. Yet, he has turned those catches into two pretty good seasons. If Williamson can learn to hold onto more balls, then there is no limit to his potential.

QB Casey Benson, Louisiana State - Casey may be the best pure passer out there in college football today. His stats the past three years have reflected a conservative, run-first offense. However, LA State changed offensive coordinators this year, and Casey has all of the tools to shatter any single season NCAA record.

TE Norm Huntley, Nebraska - If a non-RB, WR, QB ever has a shot at the Heisman, it'll probably be Norm Huntley. The best TE in college has a lot of skill and a lot of potential. Last year he caught 40 balls for 632 yards. Great ability for a TE and good blocking too with 7 KRB out of 18 KRO and no sacks allowed when kept back to pass block. You never know what will happen.

QB Lionel McMillon, Notre Dame - Another QB who could make some noise in his final season is Notre Dame's Lionel McMillon. He is a very developed quarterback who has put together some pretty good passing seasons. Notre Dame will need more from him, however, if he is to rise to Heisman level.

WR Ralph Dennis, Ohio State - Possibly a Heisman Finalist snub last year. Ralph wasn't in the final te despite putting up 1620 yards receiving and 14 TDs. Great ball skills and has a biut of a reason to put a little extra step into his game. The best receiver candiate for Heisman this year.

QB Jeffrey Farr, Southern California - Another potential QB leader from a major institution. Put up 2950 yards last season but was not a Heisman finalist. Two years ago, however, he had 3623 yards receiving, 39 TDs, and didn't win the Heisman despite probably deserving it. Now it is his final year, how will he respond?

RB Lenny Clayton, Washington State - The last RB candidate will need to improve on his 1111 yard season last year, but he really turned it on in the last six games last year. If he keeps that form, he'll be one of the best RBs this year in the league."

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 03:17 PM   #108
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The 2009 Eastern Michigan Starting Roster:

QB Artie Brown (3) - True Freshmen and QB of the "future" will have to be QB of the present as Jorge Strickland has not advanced to a starting level yet. As such, the Artie Watch has officially begun and ended. The Artie Experiment is about to begin.

RB Vernon Godfrey (1) - A beast, a hoss, a massive mound of running back flesh. However, he also is quite streaky. He'll get 200 yards here, then 50 yards there. Needs to pick up his B game.

TE Hardy Monroe (1) - An adequate TE who is a stand-in for the better, younger, but greener TEs on the roster.

WR Adam Edwards (1) - Best WR bar none on the roster.
WR Ellis Kantowski (2) - Did not progress last season like we htough he should.
WR Paul Estell (2) - Will be looking to improive his game on the field.

C Kurt Whiting (1) - Great center and a rock in our O-Line.
G Norm Paswater (1) - Solid G with very strong starting skills.
G William Singleton (2) - Very young and green. DObler did not progress last year like we thought he should, so he is redshirted and Singleton will start for us.
T Barry Bartrum (1) - An amazingly strong offensive tackle.
T Clyde Verdin - A poor tackle. Luckily, just a stopgap until our younger players get better.

P Emmanuel Buckley (3) - Solid punter who will learn the game on the field.
K Carlos Page (3) - Kicker with amazing potential who will likewise learn on the field.

DE Rich Harper (1) - Big and beefy DE with great run stopping skills and solid pass rush ability.
DE Curtis Page (1) - Came on last year after subbing in for Vince Arbucle. Won starting job even after Vince healed, and now is starter.
DT Reggie Anaya - Overachieved past year. Not as good as his stats say but benefits from great ends.

ILB Percy Finch (3) - With ILB Frank Burns ineligible due to drug violations, Percy will be called upon to take up the slack in the middle.
ILB Troy Dixon (1) - Not that great or developed but played very well subbing in and starting 10 games last season. Has won the satrting job with his play on the field, not in the weightroom or in scrimmages.
OLB Brenden Goodwin (1) - Very developed OLB who started two years ago, but was injured last year early and knocked out for the season.
OLB Mitchell Ebbitt (2) - Another sub who did very well last year. Ebbitt subbed in for Goodwin and started 12 games. He performed very well and has wrested the starting position this year.

CB Jake Mazur - A true senior, Jake is the body of experience in our secondary having started every game the last three seasons.
CB Bart Reilly (2) - Amazingly good corner ready to take the starting role.

S Nicky Terrell - Nothing is that great about Nicky's physical acumen, but he just makes the big play game after game.
S Deion Thomas (2) - Not a great safety, but a solid contributer.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 03:24 PM   #109
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Recruiting Targets:

QB
RB
FB
WR
G
T
DT
ILB
OLB
CB
2x S

A total of eleven targets.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 03:49 PM   #110
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Eastern Michigan is going to try and follow up an 11-2 year with another good season. Purdue is trying to compete in a crowded Big Ten picture. The Eagles host the Boilermakers in a regular season opener that should have consequences for two conferences, Purdue at Eastern, next, on TV1"

"Excerpts from Abe Sargent's Journal: The Middle Years"
Copyright 2033

Week One - PURDUE (+2)

We have five percent better prestige this year than last year, but we need to keep winning to have it continue to rise.

I hit the Michigan recruits hard before heading into Ohio for a couple of stops. I'll have to go back to Ohio next week to talk with more recruits.

I figure that our biggest need is a starting caliber defensive tackle. So I hit the phones and talk with DTs all week long. There are several intriguing prospects out there, and I hope to land one.

On the field, Purdue smacks us around big time - 35-13. Maybe I shouldn't have scheduled halfway decent teams yet, eh?

We had a couple of starting rookies. Artie Brown didn't do too badly.

Game Ball: Artie Brown, 23 of 43, 338 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int

Vernon Godfrey only had 45 yards on the ground, and that will hurt his Heisman watch. On national TV he stunk it up. Not a good sign.

Week Two - ARIZONA (+1)

I finish up my recruiting in Ohio. I also wrap up my annual Indiana tour and head over to Pennsylvania. I find an amazingly good ILB candidate in Pennsylvania and I can only hope to pull him in.

I hit the phones again. This time, I want to talk to safeties. We have a real need for quality safeties. Ten phone calls with safeties later, I am ready for the game.

The game.

We allow Purdue to smack us around in our own home. Let;s not allow Arizona to do the same.

EMU - 49
Arizona - 47

It was a long overtime, by the way.

The regulation score on the day was 27-27.

Game Ball: RB Vernon Godfrey, 27 rushes for 160 yards, 2 TDs, 10 catches for 65 yards, 2 TDs

The man scored four TDs on the day. I guess he wanted to make up for last week.

Artie Brown lofted 4 TDs and just 1 Int.

Pretty good two game performances by the true freshman Artie Brown against good caliber competetion.

Maybe we are ready for the bigger teams after all. Arizona was the hardest team on our schedule this year, and we knocked them off - albeit in overtime and at home.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 04:12 PM   #111
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week Three - Bye

These next two weeks are fairly boring here in Ypsilanti. We have two consecutive bye weeks so it's basically just Focus on Recruiting Weeks in my office.

I head back out to Pennsylvania, who have a nice crop of recruits this year.

I end up offering several scholarships to Pennsylvanian players. Total number of scholarships to players from PA - Five; WR, TE, ILB, OLB, and G. It's rare that I spend an entire week in one state, let alone a week and a half.

Phone calls this week go out to some studly RBs. I want to have another amazing RB in the wings should Godfrey get injured or leave early.

Again - a boring week.

Week Four - Bye

Yet another recruiting week. *Sigh* Me want football.

I head over to New York and gran a look at several recruits. Alas, it was not as fruitful a trip as my PA one last week.

More phone calls. This time to receivers. A lot of work is tied up in the recruiting gig.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 04:52 PM   #112
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week Five - at Akron (-5)

A rematch of the powers of the MAC last year should prove interesting.

Backup DT Trevor Murray is out for the season. There's goes my depth at my weakest position.

Illinois beckons and I drive over to the state with hopes of uncovering great players. I found an amazing OT, and although I offered him a scholarship, I figure that we'll lose out to bigger schools.

I hit up Wisconsin to finish up our Great Lakes tour. Next week we go to where the needed recruits are.

Our local FB candidate is visiting this week. I figure that he'll commit soon.

I have no idea how the game will turn out. But, if we win and are 2-1 facing the rest of the season - I can accept that. I like that.

It turns out that I needn't have worried.

EMU over Akron, 29-17.

Godfrey had 140 yards on the ground, Carlos Page was 3-3 FGs, and 2-2 XPs, OLB Ebbitt notched a pair of sacks. But, I like to focus on:

Game Ball: S Deion Thomas, 3 Tacks, 4 Assts, 1 Int, 80 Int ret yds, 1 Int TD, 1 FF

That which is feared happened, however. DT Reggie Anaya went down and is out for 7 weeks with a Seperated Shoulder.

Sophomore DT Richard Thurgood will be starting for the next while.

Week Six - YALE (+1)

I head out to Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky and New Jersey to hit a few recruits in each. My secondary recuiting in the Great Lakes regions has been poor, so I am looking for safeties and corners. I offer two scholarships to corners and one to a safety.

I had expected that, from here on out, we would be doing very well against out opponents. I guess I didn't expect us to lose to Yale. At home. By 24.

34-10 Yale = not a good game.

Godfrey stopped for 52 yards on the ground. Artie Brown had 345 yards in the air, no picks. But no TDs either.

Game Ball: OLB Mitchell Ebbitt, 8 Tacks, 3 Assts, 3 Sacks

Not a good day to be an Eagle fan.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 04:57 PM   #113
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Eagles Post Inconsistent Numbers

Greg Stills
Eastern Echo

Eastern Michigan has done a good job at keeping its fans guessing. They defeated Arizona in an overtime thriller. Arizona was supposed the toughest team on teh schedule.

However, both Yale and Purdue have hammered EMU at home. And then Eastern defeats the Zips in Akron. Inconsistency plagues the Eagles.

Take rushing phenom Godfrey, for example. Two amazing games, two games held to less than 55 yards rushing. Not exactly overwhelming statistics.

Take true freshman quarterback Artie Brown. What is Eastern to do? In four games, Artie has passed for 1143 yards, 5 TDs, and 3 Ints. Not bad numbers, but you expect more as an Eagle fan. Despite Artie being a freshman, he follows in the footsteps of good quarterback play.

We want good quarterback play. And we expect more consistent running back play. That's not too much to ask for, now is it?"

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 05:32 PM   #114
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week Seven - at Ball State (-3)

Recruiting is just Hold Your Own Serve.

By the way, I always expect to be favorites when playing Ball State. It shouldn't matter where we are playing, what players we are starting, or even if we only play five man on the field. We should be favorites versus Ball State.

Unless Ball State beats us. Badly. 41-17.

Damn boys.

Game Ball: RB Vernon Godfrey, 18 rushes for 157 yards, 1 TD, 4 catches for 20 yards.

Artie Brown did not have a great game, but it wasn't el stinko or anything.

At least we pulled in a nice offensive guard. #79 player in the nation. Heh.

Week Eight - at Miami of Ohio (-15)

Yowzers. We haven't been underdogs by this much in a while. I am not worried too much, though. All we have to do is START WINNING GAMES ThAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO WIN.

We can win this game.

But we don't. 24-14. Can't we not win a football game here folks?

Game Ball: WR Adam Edwards, 4 catches, 113 yards, 2 TDs.

Godfrey managed to notch a 102 yard game and Artie Brown had a decent day. Our defense has got to stop more people from scoring.

I hear that's how you win games.

A RB and TE join us.

Week Nine - NORTHERN ILLINOIS (-4)

Our sad 2-4 squad is no longer favored at home versus MAC opponents. Sad.

We have 11 recruits visiting this week. Let's see if we can win a game and convince them that we are actually worth playing for.

33-17 Northern Illinois. This is even funny anymore.

Game Ball: DE Curtis Page, 2 Tacks, 3 Assts, 2.5 sacks

Godfrey with only 61 yards on the ground, Artie Brown without a commanding presence. Need more offense,

Brought in a WR and OLB.

I'm not happy anymore.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:04 PM   #115
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week Ten - BOWLING GREEN (-2)

My sorry ass 2-5 squad had better get their rear in shape this week.

We have five recruits still visiting. We lost out on several last week. I can't say that I blame them, really. We're straight in the middle of a collapse of cataclysmic proportions.

So I visit with ILB, OT, and QB recruits and make offers to three players. Hopefully we can still pull in impact players.

Apparently we need them.

OH MY GOD WE WON A GAME.

We SHUT OUT Bowling Green. Felt good, too.

27-0.

Godfrey just rushed for 45 yards. But...

Game Ball: QB Artie Brown, 27 of 43, 349 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int, never sacked.

We pulled in a FB, DT, and S.

Week Eleven - WESTERN MICHIGAN (-12)

WMU is 6-2. We are not.

DT Reggie Anaya is back from injury and I immediately push him into the starting lineup. We won when Anaya started....

We shut out Bowling Green. We were shut out by Western. 17-0.

Apparently, my Reggie Anaya luck charm wasn't working.

Game Ball: P Emmanuel Buckley, 7 punts, 215 yards, 3 in the 20.

I don't even want to talk or think about the game.

We brought in three recruits. A QB, OT, and CB.

Week Twelve - at Central Michigan (-3)

In recruiting, I go trolling for recruits, just seeing what players are still out there that we rate highly. I visit some recruits. End up offering a scholarship to an OLB.

We lose again. Don't want to dwell on it much. Not that much fun for me.

27-13.

Game Ball: DE Rich Harper, 8 Tacks, 3 Assts, 1 Sack.

Rich led the team in tackles and notched a sack. Good work from the DE position.

We brought in a safety.

Let's get this season over with already.

Week Thirteen - TOLEDO (-1)

We are both 3-7. I'd like to defeat our rivals at home.

We defeated Toledo. Yay!

31-24.

Kind of anticlimatic, though.

Godfrey notched 149 yards. But I like the work of

Game Ball: WR Ellis Kantowski, 6 catches, 89 yards, 2 TDs

Let's all wave goodbye to this season. Bye Season!

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:11 PM   #116
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Rest of Season News:

Miami of Ohio and Western Michigan won their respective MAC divisions.

Miami crushes WMU in the Championship Game 42-7.

We bring in a walkon ILB and that OLB recruit.

Four MAC teams are in Bowls.

Washington versus Miami of Ohio in the Motor City Bowl.

East Carolina versus Central Florida in the Humanitarian.com Bowl

Western Michigan versus Buffalo in the Tangerine Bowl

Miami of Ohio nails Washington 48-14 to go to 11-2 on the season.

East Carolina takes care of Central Florida 13-7

WMU defeats Buffalo 16-14.

Four Bowl teams is a nice year for the MAC. Too bad EMU couldn't have been one of them.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:14 PM   #117
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The National Championship pits undefeated Michigan versus undefeated So. Cal.

Michigan wipes out USC 27-0.

I vote for a QB from BYU for Heisman.

Charles Coffey of Tennessee wins it, though.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:18 PM   #118
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awards:

All-American Offensive Freshman of the Year:

QB Artie Brown

All-American Academic Team:

CB Jake Mazur

All-American Freshman Team:

QB Artie Brown

MAC Offensive Freshman of the Year:

QB Artie Brown

MAC First Team:

RB Vernon Godfrey

MAC Academic Team:

WR Ellis Kantowski
WR Leo Rupp
OT Barry Bartrum
DE Rich Harper
ILB Percy Finch
CB Jake Mazur

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:26 PM   #119
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

2009 Stats:

QB Artie Brown, 228 of 408, 2836 yards, 14 TDs, 15 Ints, 3 rush TDs

RB Vernon Godfrey, 219 for 1048 yards, 8 TDs, 59 catches, 409 yards, 3 TDs

WR Adam Edwards, 44 catches, 699 yards, 2 TDs

WR Ellis Kantowski, 44 catches, 583 yards, 5 TDs

ILB Percy Finch, 86 Tacks, 31 Assts, 1 Sack, 8 TFL, 4 PasDef, 1FF

S Nicky Terrell, 74 Tacks, 25 Assts, 1 Sack, 14 TFL, 5 PasDef, 1 FF

OLB Mitchell Ebbitt, 54 Tacks, 14 Assts, 8 Sacks, 12 TFL, 7 PasDef

DE Curtis Page, 30 Tacks, 15 Assts, 8 Sacks, 10 TFL, 1 FF

CB Jake Mazur, 30 Tacks, 10 Assts, 3 Ints, 12 PasDef, 2 FF

G Norm Paswater, 23 KRB out of 69 KRO, 8 SkA

Everybody seemed to do worse this season. Take DE Rich Harper, for example. Only had 4.5 sacks this year. C Kurt Whiting only had 14 KRB. Vernon Godfrey had 600 less yards running. Nicky Terrell had no interceptions. And so forth.

Your team shouldn't get worse.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:29 PM   #120
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Career Stats:

Just one player graduating this year who's had major contributions for several years.

CB Jake Mazur, 48 starts (most possible), 101 Tacks, 41 Assts, 9 TFL, 12 Ints, 4 Int TDs, 36 PasDef, 5 FF, 3 FumRec, 1 PR TD

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:38 PM   #121
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

EMU 2009 Recruiting Class:

QB Gene Gleason, 78++, Saint Louis, MO, 275th, 3.11 GPA
RB Broderick Corbitt, 86-, Deming, NM, 107th, 3.25 GPA
FB Kelly Keister, 69-, Detroit, MI, Not Ranked, 3.65 GPA
TE Anthony Rosenberg, 75+, Chester PA, 653rd, 3.42 GPA
WR Dusty Kuntz, 92-, Smithfield, NC, 224th, 3.32 GPA
G Monty James, 76+, Norristown, PA, 79th, 3.49 GPA
T Charlie Maxwell, 95?, Soquel, CA, 207th, 2.65 GPA
DT Bo Willis, 90+, Sutton, MA, 213th, 3.57 GPA
ILB Herb Bauer, 39+, Chillicothe, OH, Not Ranked, 3.68 GPA, Walkon
OLB Perry May, 85+, Harrison City, PA, 402nd, 3.21 GPA
OLB Norbert Chandler, 73+, Oldtown, MD, 763rd, 2.91 GPA
CB Wade Hoke, 83++, Durham, NC, 241st, 3.49 GPA
S Tyrus Bernstein, 74-, Pittsburgh, PA, 970th, 3.06 GPA
S Mercury Bennett, 73-, Memphis, TN, 983rd, 4.00 GPA

My PA trip ended up being very worthwhile. 85+ OLB, 76+ G, 75+ TE, and 74- S. All of that booty from one week of work in PA.

Recruits look good. At least there was one highlight this season.

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:40 PM   #122
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Score:

Team Performance: 9

Academic Performance: 67

Recruiting: 92

TV Revenue: 15

Alumni Donations: 14

Attendance: 43

Overall: 33

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:51 PM   #123
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Off-Season Moves:

K Norman Duncan and CB Shawn Bowyer leave the team. Duncans wanted more playing time and Bowyer needed to concentrate on his grades.

CB Mike Ehler has been academically suspended.

ILB Percy Finch has been suspended for fighting. Another of my starting ILBs bites the dust for a year.

Graham Grant, my Mid-Atlantic Scout has retired.

I hire:

Clyde Fisher, 32

Very or Pretty Good - RBs, WRs, LBs
Decent - QBs, O-Line, Sec
Poor - K
Lousy - D-Line

I also fire my Deep South scout, who is about to retire and not that good. My new scout:

Matthew Wansley, 50

Excellent or Terrific - WRs, O-Line
Pretty Good - LBs
Decent or Good - Sec, K
Fair - RBs, D-Line
Terrible - QBs

Lastly, I hire a new Great Lakes Scout, which will be my Head Scout as well. Of course, I had to fire the old guy.

Kenny Ash, 31

Excellent - WRs, O-Line, K
Very Good - D-Line
Decent or Good - Sec, QBs, RBs
Poor - LBs

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 06:58 PM   #124
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

SCHEDULING:

Once again, the schedule masters have stuck me with four bye weeks to open the season. That means we'll have a major stretch of games without a bye.

We have five home games, four away games. But our away games are dangerous - Western Michigan, Toledo, Buffalo and Kent State.

I decide to go back to my old idea of scheduling creampuff teams. I offer Louisiana-Lafayette a chance to come back, but they refuse.

So. Cal wants us to play at their place. I politely laugh profusely at them while their AD is still on the phone.

I try Louisiana-Monore but no Dice. Tulsa offers us a home this year, away next year. I counter with just a home game. They accept.

Oregon is offering us a home game straight up. Fair enough. A quick schedule this time - finished scheduling two teams in four stages.

2010 EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY SCHEDULE:

Week 1 - Bye
Week 2 - OREGON
Week 3 - TULSA
Week 4 - Bye
Week 5 - at Buffalo
Week 6 - YALE
Week 7 - BALL STATE
Week 8 - at Kent State
Week 9 - NORTHERN ILLINOIS
Week 10 - BOWLING GREEN
Week 11 - at Western Michigan
Week 12 - CENTRAL MICHIGAN
Week 13 - at Toledo

-Anxiety

Old 05-26-2003, 07:08 PM   #125
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A Closer Look at Our Recruits:

QB Gene Gleason - Although he is the second best QB on my roster, I guess I expected him to be something more. He'll be redshirted this year for development.

RB Broderick Corbitt - A potential future star. Will redshirt to save his eligibility.

FB Kelly Keister - Not that great, but I use FBs so rarely that it's ok.

TE Anthony Rosenberg - Could be a starter some day, but who knows. Redshirted.

WR Dusty Kuntz - Everything that I wanted in a WR. Great potentials, amazing looking wideout. If he doesn't play immediately, he'll be redshirted to save a year.

G Monty James - A mammoth of a man in terms of skill. Expect to see him start sooner or later, depending on the quality of the other guards.

T Charlie Maxwell - Future starter after developing.

DT Bo Willis - THE MAN. You need a MAN to be your DT in a 3-4, right? How about a guy with 100% potential in playing against the rush and the pass? And a 94 Endurance?

ILB Herb Bauer - Backup but might start in an emergency after he develops.

OLB Norbert Chandler - I picked this guy up late, after we brought in OLB May, because he was out there. And I get a better player. Much better potential. May be redshirted this year, however.

OLB Perry May - Extremely green but could start for us far in the future.

CB Wade Hoke - My new scout rates his potential at 100 overall. Potentials in individual skills? 100s in Man-to-man, Zone, Interceptions, and Endurance. Also in 80's for run defense. Current stats are pretty good for a freshman...

S Mercury Bennett - Nothing special.

S Tyrus Bernstein - Nothing special, but has the ability to play now.

-Anxiety

Old 06-02-2003, 06:40 PM   #126
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Notes from an Emergency Meeting of the Board of Trustees, Eastern Michigan University, May 17, 2010.

President Samuel Kirkpatrick: I call this meeting of the Board of Trustees to order. We have an urgent piece of business to attend to. I trust that you all received my memo? Very well, Dr. Diles?

Dr. David Diles, Athletic Director: Thank you Sam. I have been the Athletic Director here at EMU for eleven years, and during that time I have come to love this place. As such, it is with a heavy heart that I resign my post as Athletic Director of Eastern. I will be accepted the position of AD at the University of Connecticut.

Sam: Thank you Dr. Diles. All those in favor of accepting Dr. David Diles' Resignation say "Aye"

"Aye." "Aye." "Aye." "Aye." "Aye." "Aye."

Sam: Very well, we accept your resignation David. Best of luck in your new job.

-Anxiety

Old 08-05-2003, 04:22 PM   #127
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just got done reading this whole thing. It has been exactly two years since I have played TCY and wanted to know what it felt like. I think you did a great job in detailing the gameplay. One thing I am curious about. I have not kept up with the game changes but you mentioned going into a state to recruit. Was that literary license or does the game makes you recruit in a sensible manner now?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:11 PM   #128
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Thanks! I pick it up every so often and play with it.

Nope. That was literary license about the recruiting. You can still go everywhere, but it's financially pudent to stick to one region and one state. So I generally do that to make the recruiting more realistic, although I'm not above blitzing the country later in teh recruiting season to hit a few recruits ofor one position when rejections have created a severe need. I suspect RL coaches do the same.

I'd like to see the game implement the following:

1). If you play a game in a state that week, you can recruit there for very little money, just as if it is your home state. If I am already traveling to Colorado for a game, then it seems like I should be able to recruit as well.

2). I should have double the number of contacts available during BYE weeks.

Both of these make scheduling more important and add an extra dimension to recruiting.

-Anxiety

Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 AM   #129
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

As promised in other threads, any dynasty of mine listed as one of the Golden Scribe Finalists will be revitalized. As such, you can expect another few seasons of EMU. Can Eastern Michigan ever make it to a BCS Bowl? Will we have a Heisman? Can we even keep a team consistently at the top of the MAC?

I can't wait to find out, and honestly, I've been wanting to reopen this for a while, and this is a good excuse.

Thanks to those who voted EMU as a finalist for the Best TCY Dynasty.

-Anxiety

Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #130
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

About time, too !
Old 01-06-2004, 12:38 AM   #131
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

First Meeting Between Ralph Mustang and Coach Abe Sargent:

Ralph: Coach, thanks for meeting with me. As you know, I am the new athletic director for the Eagles. Let me tell you about my expectations.

Abe: Please do.

Ralph: In the years that you've been here, EMU has had exactly two winning seasons, a 9-4 season in 2006 and the 11-2 season in 2008. The other six seasons you've ben the head coach have been losing seasons.

Abe: Yes...

Ralph: And of those seasons, it took you four losing seasons before your first winning season.

Abe: And?

Ralph: And that changes. In eight seasons you are 36-57. I don't care how bad the first few EMU teams were, that's still an abyssmal record. You need to start stepping up now.

Abe: So you are saying?

Ralph: I am saying something simple. Let's start small - you will need a winning season this year to guarantee your job.

Abe: I always try to win, I don't need any additional incentive from a Johnny-come-lately.

Ralph: Maybe not, but I like to be upfront about these things. Good luck.

Abe: Of course.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 01:11 AM   #132
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A look at our starters:

QB Artie Brown (2) - Last year's freshman sensation will start again for us. He's still pretty green, though.

RB Vernon Godfrey - Vernon will get a chance to finally get that Heisman that he wawnts. He definitely needs a better year than last year to do it.

TE Hardy Monroe - A decent and average tight end who shouldn't be a hole for us, but probably won't excel fur us either.

WR Adam Edwards - Adam has a bit of turf toe, although he'll start. I expect good things from Adam, and I think that he has underperformed these past three years. Time for Adam to step forward.

WR Ellis Kantowski (1) - Ellis also needs to step up his game and continue to improve. Otherwise, he'll get passed by other receivers.

WR Rob Shanks (3) - Sophomore who was red shirted last year, Rob will starts despite needing a lot of development. He has a lot of potential.

C Kurt Whiting - A strong, solid center.

G Norm Paswater - Another strong offensive lineman.

G William Singleton (1) - William is a decent enough guard who will try and hold the line for us. We have several better players who are less experienced in the wings, in case Singleton falters.

T Barry Bartrum - A great tackle who I really love.

T Ralph Borders (2) - Young, underdeveloped tackle who will need to learn the position quickly.

P Emmanuel Buckley (2) - Decent enough punter that I don't feel the need to replace him right now.

K Carlos Page (2) - An amazingly good kicker with a lot of room for growth.

DE Curtis Page - Curtis is an amazingly good end who we really project well into the professional level. Let's hope that he makes his senior season one to remember.

DE Rich Harper - Another abnormally strong end, we have maybe our best end tandem ever since I've been here.

DT Trevor Murray (1) - Just a stand in this year until our freshman develops a bit more. Trevor is great as pass rushing, and can really collapse the pocket. However, he's pretty poor against the run - not a 3-4 sort of tackle at all, but we'll have to live with him

ILB Frank Burns (1) - Our best ILB is Frank Burns, which is good because he has two years left in him. Last season he was inelligble due to drug violations, so he wore his red shirt since he came and played immediately as a freshman. Hopefully, Frank can keep his head above water. I expect great things from him.

ILB Cole Rossi (1) - Cole is a strong enough backer to not be a concern, but he is not our strongest by any means.

OLB Brenden Goodwin - A two year starter, Brendon is our best OLB this year, although some have a higher potential. Brenden is very developed and I look forward to seeing him in action this season.

OLB Mitchell Ebbitt (1) - Mitchell won the starting nod two years ago due to injury to Lamont Gatlin and Lamont has never started since. Mitchell had an amazing 8 sacks last year.

CB Bart Reilly - My shut down corner this year.

CB Ed Boss (3) - Ed redshirted last year, and now starts, but is nothing great. In fact, he may be our greatest weakness on the defense.

S Deion Thomas (1) - A fully developed and experienced man who can lead the team from the secondary.

S Joseph Frederick (2) - An adequate starter but nothing great.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 01:21 AM   #133
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A few bits and bobs:

I release a walk on CB on academic probation.

We begin the season ranked #80.

Of our opponents, only Buffalo begins the season ranked at #23.

We are in the top 15 in four position groups - RB, DE, ILB, and OLB.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 01:39 AM   #134
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Recruiting Info:

I need the following players:

WR
C
G
T x2
K?
DE x2
ILB
OLB
CB
S

Additionally, we could use another DE, WR, G and ILB.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 02:41 AM   #135
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Great, Anxiety, I'm so glad you're restarting the EMU dynasty. Win a bunch of games and kick that backtalking AD to the curb for the loyal fans!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:00 AM   #136
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week 1 - Bye

This week marks the official beginning of the recruiting season. I start here at home in Michigan visiting recruits.

Another year of there being no recruits that idolize EMU. Sigh.

After visiting a few Michigan recruits, I head over to good ol' Ohio and hit up a few players. I am sort of disappointed by the results however - very few players truly interested in EMU.

I hit the phones and call up some DEs. No big deal this week.

Week 2 - OREGON (we are favored by 3)

Last week, Central Florida played Florida on TV1 and lost despite scoring 27 points. Because they allowed Florida to score 87!

I head over to Wisconsin this week on the recruiting trail. I uncover a really nice looking Center and I offer him a scholarship. While there, I also visit several other players before heading south to Illinois to finish this week's excursion. In Ilinois, I find a very nice guard, and I offer him a scholarship as well. So I guess that this week ended up being interior lineman week.

I spend the rest of the week contacting linebackers, both inside and outside. There seem to be a lot more qualified candidates of the latter.

We defeated Oregon 28-21. Shanks and Godfrey caught TDs, Godfrey rushed for another TD and a two point conversion. The Game MVP was DE Rich Harper who also got a game ball.

Adam Edwards caught 118 yards. But our bookend DEs both notched a pair of sacks.

"Join us this week on TV4 as Tulsa comes into town to take on the Eastern Michigan Eagles. Vernon Godfrey and Artie Brown will host a offensive party, but will Tulsa bring their defense? Find out, on TV4"

Week 3 - TULSA (we are favored by 6)

This week I head back to Illinois. I visit a few more players before returning to campus via Indiana.

I finish the week by calling some receivers around the nation. I then use a few more calls to OLBs.

We defeat Tulsa 42-23, a pretty decisive victory. Vernon Godfrey was our MVP and got the game ball. Here are five of our TD scores:

Godfrey, 38 yard reception
Godfrey, 19 yard run
Godfrey, 29 yard run
Godfrey, 3 yard reception
Godfrey, 5 yard reception

He just took over the game. Had 136 yards rushing and 65 catching on the day. The other TD was a catch by Adam Edward with his 121 yard receiving day. Shanks had 115 yards as well.

QB Artie Brown was 28 of 39 for 420 yards, 4 TDs, 1 pick on the day. Our offense simply took over the game from the first moment through the last.

Two injuries of note. Both WR Ellis Kantowski and ILB Cole Rossi are out due to injury. Both could be out for a couple of months or at least 6 weeks.

WR Leo Rupp and ILB Troy Dixon will start until they return.

Week 4 - BYE

I hit the recruiting trail again, this time in Pennsylvania. After Pennsylvania, I visit a few key recruits from Missouri. I then offer a few scholarships and call up a few corners.

All in all a boring week.

"This week, on TV5, witness the suddenly resurgent Eastern Michigan Eagles try to reclaim their place atop the MAC against Buffalo. Buffalo has had a dissappointing opening season loss to South Carolina despite opening the season on the Preseason Top 25. They bounced back to defeat Arizona, and now host an Eagles team full of visions of grandeur. It's a battle of modern MAC powers as EMU takes on Buffalo, only on TV5"

Week 5 - at Buffalo (Buffalo favored by 2)

I swing over to New York while we're here visiting Buffalo to do some recruiting. I find a nice pair of ILB and OLB candidates and offer them each scholarships. I have a WR contact in Massassachusetts, so I head north while I'm here. I like him enough to offer a scholarship. I also unearth a G candidate while I am here and I offer him a scholarship as well.

We emerge victorius 36-20. Despite Artie Brown tossing three picks, we won. Godfrey rushed for a TD and caught another. Leo Rupp caught a TD as well. Carlos Page added 15 points in field goals.

DE Curtis Page had 2.5 sacks and received my Game Ball. Godfrey was our Game MVP. C Kurt Whiting had 5 KRB.

We held the Buffalo QB to 3 of 15 for 90 yards, 75 of it in one completion.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 03:10 AM   #137
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Resurgent Eagles lead MAC Attack

Jack McQueen
ESPN INsider

Buffalo takes out Arizona. Western Michigan decimates Iowa. Central Florida takes out Georgia. Kent State edges West Virginia. Marshall blasts Clemson. Miami of Ohio blows out Cincinnati. Northern Illinois loses to UCLA in overtime and defeats Virginia.

Watch out for the MAC Attack, before it bites. But leading this resurgence is the Eastern Michigan Eagles - left for dead last year after getting 11 wins the previous year.

EMU is 3-0 and #24 in the latest AP Poll. The BCS Computers have EMU at #10, and that has got to scare a lot of people. Sure its early, but already a lot of pundits are asking - what if?

What if EMU goes unbeaten on the season? Can they get into the BCS? Their schedule, prior to this year, doesn't look like it, with only one team in the preseason top 50 - Buffalo, whom they defeated this past week in Buffalo.

And that leaves the Eagles on the outside in most scenarios. But this is college football. Nobody knows what is going to happen. That's the fun of it all."

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 03:11 AM   #138
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine
Great, Anxiety, I'm so glad you're restarting the EMU dynasty. Win a bunch of games and kick that backtalking AD to the curb for the loyal fans!

No problem. Just keep reading, the story is starting to look good.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 04:21 AM   #139
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week 6 - YALE (we are favored by 18)

My goal in recruiting for the next couple of weeks is to get offers of scholarships out there. So I may be hitting recruits in a more happenstance pattern.

I head over to Minnestoa to check out a few safety recruits. I end up visiting a lot of other players in Minnesota and giving out several scholarship offers totaling four offers altogether.

From Minnesota it's down to Iowa to visit a cornerback. I like what I find and offer him a scholarship.

Although we do not come close to the spread, we win 19-10. The Game MVP was Vernon Godfrey. He rushes for a TD and 131 yards on the day. Joseph Frederick registers 8 solo tackles and 2 forced fumbles, both recovered by himself for my Game Ball.

There are several injuries of note:

ILB Troy Dixon is out for a month with a hyperextended knee.
TE Bryant Gilmore is doubtful with a pulled groin
DT J.B. Wber is questionable with a pulled groin as well

Sophomore ILB Dixon Wingate will start for the injured Troy Dixon who is starting for the injured Cole Rossi who was starting for the suspended Percy Finch.

I'm glad that I'm deep at the ILB position.

We rose to #23 in the AP Poll, 6 in the BCS Computer. The polls plus the computers put us at 15 overall.

Week 7 - BALL STATE (we are favored by an amazing 34 points) (Dang) (It is the largest favored margin of the week)

A few recruits inform us that they have chosen other venues. I head to New York and Connecticut to check out a few recruits. From there, I sweep through New England, even offering a scholarship to a safety in Vermont.

We win, although not nearly as much as predicted, 21-14.

Curtis Page was our Game MVP. Despite Godfrey rushing for 169 yards, despite Edwards and Shanks getting 100 and 99 yards receiving respectively, because Page lodged 3 sacks.

Godfrey rushed for two scores and Edwards caught another ball.

We have fallen to #18 overall, hold at #23 on the AP Poll, but we snapped back to #12 on the computer polls.

Week 8 - at Kent State (we are favored by 15)

Welcome to offical hold your serve week, where we try to impress recruits visiting from abroad.

Last week, TE Lenny Jameson has decided to come to EMU - our first recruit.

12 recruits are visiting EMU this week, and a fine looking bunch of boys they are too.

We have a QB, WR, C, G, T, DE, DE, DT, ILB, OLB, CB and S visiting. I am aiming this year for half of our first group of recruits - that would be nice.

I head out west, taking that California trip and visit a few recruits that our scout thinks have fallen through the cracks. We end up offering a scholarship to one player.

We defeat Kent State 42-35. The Game MVP and Game Ball go to Vernon Godfrey. 218 yards rushing, 3 TDs, 9 receptions for 75 yards.

We have one injury of significance:

QB Artie Brown is doubtful with a pulled groin. Pat Pierce will start for him until he is able to play.

G Brock Woody and QB Horace Bailey agree to join us nexst year and accept our scholarship offers.

We have risen to #21 in the AP Poll, and the Coach's Poll now lists us at #23. #11 in the BCS computers, 16 overall.

There are eight teams that are unbeaten as of this week.

"The Eastern Michigan Eagles continue their quest for a third MAC title in five years and try to extend their unbeaten streak as Northern Illinois arrives into town to shake things up. A clash of MAC West giants, next, on TV5"

Week 9 - NORTHERN ILLINOIS (we are favored by 23)

Continuing the Hold Your Serve, we continue to sweet talk our recruits.

We still have eleven players considering EMU.

I hit the road looking for an OT prospect. Instead, I find a CB prospect down in Florida.

We almost finally beat the spread. 38-16 - 22 points. Our Game MVP is Pat Pierce. Vernon only had 49 yards and a rushing score. Oh, and a receing score as well. Adam Edwards exploded for 159 yards and a TD. TDs were also caught by Leo Rupp and Estell. Pierce, in his first start for us, lit up Northern Illinois for 351 yards, 25 of 40, 4 TDs and 1 Int.

Carlos Page added a pair of sacks, Murray, not to be outdone, also took the QB down twice.

As for recruits, WR Gonzalez, OT Jeffries, and OLB Watson have agreed to come to EMU.

Not a bad week overall.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 04:37 AM   #140
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"The BCS Picture Clears

Kirk Herbstreet
ESPN.com

Six undefeated teams remain as the BCS picture begins to clear. The SEC, Big 10, ACC, and Big East each have an undefeated team, and there are two dark horses from other conferences. Let's take alook at each:

Florida - Standing #1 in the BCS computers and #1 in the polls, the BCS Championship is Florida's to lose. The Gators feature the best passing offense in the country, with more passing yards than any other team. QB Qinfred Foreman has the third most passing TDs in the country and the second best QB Rating.

Ohio State - Nipping behind Florida is Ohio State. #2 in the voter polls and #3 in the BCS, Ohio State is on another course for the Fiesta Bowl. As of right now, OSU and Florida are the diminant favorites for the Championship.

Maryland - At 8-0, Maryland also is making a claim for BCS consideration. #6 in the polls and #5 in the BCS, Maryland might be able to surge towards greatness.

Boston College - #5 in the polls but ninth in the BCS features the Boston College Eagles. BC still has Notre Dame, Miami and WVU on their schedule, but if they sweep them away, they are definitely a dark horse for the championship game.

Fresno State - This year's non-BCS darling is Fresno State. Number three in the human polls and number two in the BCS, Fresno State is having a remarkable year. All of Fresno State's remaining opponents are mild - Louisiana Tech, Tulsa and Boise State. As such, Fresno State is en route to possibly being the first team not from a BCS conference to play in the Championship Game. No other team has ever been as well positioned for the final push as Fresno State.

Eastern Michigan - However, before we vote Fresno State the "Best of the Lesser Conferences," EMU wants a little nod. With their remianing schedule consisting of teams with Western Michigan and Toledo, EMU is #12 in the computers, 18 in the AP Poll, and 19 in the Coach's Poll. And while EMU may not end up in the championship game, they may make a run for an at large bid. "

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 05:29 AM   #141
mattwakeman
Mascot

Really good read this mate. Thoroughly enjoying it and good to see that you have returned to lead EMU to exactly where they deserve to be...
Old 01-06-2004, 05:33 AM   #142
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"This week, Eastern Michigan's dreams of an undefeated are put to the test by a fiesty Bowling Green. Join us as Vernon Godfrey and the Eagles host Bolwing Green in a classic MAC matchup. Today, on TV5"

Copyright 2033

Week 10 - BOWLING GREEN (we are favored by 26)

We lost several recruits last week. We have six still visiting.

I head out and visit a few more recruits. I make an offer to a DE from Pennsylvania and an OT from Florida, but few other moves made.

We defeat Bowling Green 31-7. TE Hardy Monroe and WR Adam Edwards caught Pat Pierce TDs. Vernon Godfrey and Keith Mullis added ground scores.

Game MVP was Vernon Godfrey with 159 yards rushing and 72 yards receiving.

Adam Edwards had 133 yard receiving.

Bartrum and Singleton each had 5 KRB.

We picked off Bowling Green four times.

There are no additional injuries.

C Gary Foley and DE Clyde Segal agree to come to EMU.

We rise to 11 in the AP Poll, 14 in the Coach's Poll, but fall to 13 in the BCS standings. When everything is factored in, we are #10 overall.

"The battle for the MAC has come down to this. Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan. In the MAC West, no other team is close. Eastern is 8-0, Western is 7-1. Despite the apparent advantages EMU has, they are traveling to Western with a season on the line. We bring you the clash of a conference, next, on TV2"

Week 11 - at Western Michigan (they are favored by 2)

Time to beat the spread folks. Coming back from injury is everybody but Artie Brown.

We still have 6 people visiting and mulling over their decisions. I offer a scholarship to a G.

I need luck for WMU, but I'd like a good game more than that.

EMU 33
WMU 27

Yip!

Game MVP was Vernon Godfrey with his 118 yards rushing and two rushing scores. Not to mention 84 yards receiving.

WR Ellis Kantowski, in his first game back from injury, is with 117 yards and a receiving score.

K Carlos Page hit every one of his four FG attempts.

We held WMU's RB to 23 yards on the day and a 1.7 rushing average. No WMU receiver had more than 34 yards.

As for injuries:

OLB Brenden Goodwin is out with a torn achilles tendon.

TE Bryant Gilmore will be out with a pulled groin.

QB Artie Brown will remain out next week, especially since Pierce has done very well.

ILB Roosevelt Forbes will join us next year, but I missed a safety candidate that I really coveted.

#9 AP, #11 Coach's, #8 overall.

Boston College lost and there are now only five undefeated teams left.

"6-3 Central Michigan is next in line as a team to take a shot at the MAC's big boys Eastern Michigan. The Chippewas take on the Eagles next, on TV5"

Week 12 - CENTRAL MICHIGAN (we are favored by 14)

We can't have a letdown this week after defeated WMU on the road.

We still have four players considering EMU. I find an acceptable safety in Texas and offer him a scholarship.

And now we have a game to play. EMU-CMU.

We win, 45-10. Take that mean old computers and pollsters.

Pat Pierce was the Game MVP. Godfrey rushed for 99 yards, 1 TD, caught 67 yards and 2 TDs.

Rob Shanks with 128 yards and a TD.

A large number of defensive players registered sacks, forced fumbles, and the like.

Injury wise, however.

QB Pat Pierce is out with a broken wrist

ILB Cole Rossi is out again, this time with a broken arm

QB Artie Brown will regain the starting position with Jorge Strickland backing him up.

#9 AP, #11 Coach's, #7 Computer, #8 overall

Week 13 - at Toledo (we are favored by 25)

In recruiting, we have five players considering EMU, and I call them all up and remind them about us.

My recruits are considering Florida State, Notre Dame, Michigan State, Northwestern, and so forth, so I need to keep them reminded that EMU is 10-0 and looking at a possible BCS Game berth. Two games left, Toledo and the MAC Championship.

So we have Toledo left. Our rival game. Hmmm.

We win 27-6.

Vernon Godfrey is with 156 rushing yards, 45 receiving yards for Game MVP honors.

Adam Edwards only catches 45 yards worth of balls and a TD, but he recovers a fumble and advances it 75 yards for another score.

Rich Harper, 2 sacks, Curtis Page, 1.5 sacks, a good day.

11-0. A very good day.

OT Wunder and DE Tanner are coming to EMU although or CB prospect is going to Michigan State. Need I remind him that we are 11-0? Eleven and FREAKIN' Oh, man. Whoot!

QB Artie Brown is out with an exarcerbated pulled groin. Jorge Strickland will have to start for us.

#8 AP, #10 Coach's, #5 computer, #6 rankings.

Ohio State lost, leaving four 11-0 teams, two from BCS conferences. However, Fresno State is a strong number two in the rankings, which may be an interesting result. Let's see what happens with the conference champions.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 05:34 AM   #143
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by mattwakeman
Really good read this mate. Thoroughly enjoying it and good to see that you have returned to lead EMU to exactly where they deserve to be...

Thanks a bunch! Feels reall good to finally have a great, sterling season.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 05:54 AM   #144
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

Week 13 - BYE

We have a little recruiting, I unearth a smart Oklahoma boy who's a CB prospect. And I call a bunch of people.

This week we observe. Who will we play in the MAC Championship?

None of our recruits make a decision this week.

We are now at #10 in both polls. #6 in the computer, #9 in the rankings. We'll need this championship game for the computers and polls. This is another shot on the national stage.

"Today, on TV3, the MAC Championshiup as #13 9-2 Marshall comes into town to take on the Cinderella story of #9 Eastern Michigan University. Can EMU win and position themselves for a BCS Bowl Bid? The MAC Championship, here at Ypsilanti Michigan, could determine so much. Next, on TV3"

Week 14 - MARSHALL (we are favored by 8)

With two QBs on the sidelines, its time to see if we have what it takes to defeat Marshall. If we can convincingly defeat Marshall, then we can make a statement that will hopefully carry to the polls and the computers.

No recruiting news, its pure football this week.

You can bet that we are geared up. We change our game plans to run a bit more, but we are a Singleback, pass first run second team, and I don't expect that we can change it that much. Besides, Jorge is a good QB, like many of our QBs. I like to have a lot of depth at the position for emergencies just like this.

EMU 34
Marshall 17

We are the MAC Champions once again, the third time in five years!

It comes at a cost.

QB Jorge Strickland is out with a broken fibula.

Vernon Godfrey was the MAC Championship MVP. 166 yards rushing, 1 TD.

Adam Edwards caught 119 yards and a pair of TDs.

Jorge Strickland went 8 of 15 but then broke his fibula and emergency backup walkon freshman Jim Small went 11 of 21 for 122 yards and a TD.

Our defense registered several sacks and picks.

G Meadows, CB Malone and S Cyrus are joining EMU.

So what will happen with the bowl picture? We will just have to wait and see.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 06:06 AM   #145
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Copyright 2033

We are ranked #10 in both human polls.

#10 by the computers.

#9 overall. Although our victory over Marshall did improve our standings a bit, it did not help us out overall.

Fiesta Bowl - Florida vs Fresno State.

Orange Bowl - Maryland vs Michigan

Sugar Bowl - Ohio State vs Syracuse

Rose Bowl - Texas vs USC

So, EMU is denied a BCS Bowl despite being 12-0. In fact, we will play in the Motor City Bowl as a 12-0 team against pitiful 6-5 Stanford.

We will be receving a $520,000 payout while Marshall gets a 660,000 payout from the Tangerine Bowl. Stupid Motor CIty Bowl. Only advantage is that it's our backyard, and Standford can expect the Most Hostile Crowd Ever (tm).

With that in mind:

Week 15 - STANFORD - MOTOR CITY BOWL

We are favored by 6, but I want to win by 45. Of course, for that, I'll need a QB.

Artie Brown is questionable, but considering the status of the other QBs, he'll start. Pat is doubtful and will be the backup, while bench warmer walkon freshman Small will be our emergency option. Very emergency.

We are on TV3. I would have thought that a 12-0 team would command TV1, at least TV2. No respect.

17-9 over Stanford.

Rob Shanks caught a pass fom Artie Brown. Verno nGodfrey rushed for a score.

The Motor City Bowl MVP was DE Curtis Page. 5 solo tackles, 2 assts, 2 sacks, 1 fumrec

Interesting year.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 06:09 AM   #146
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Other MAC News:

Western Michigan bitch-smacked Tennessee 34-10. Akron edged Vandy 24-17. Marshall defeated North Carolina State 24-20.

MAC was 4-0 in bowls.

Rose Bowl - Texas over USC 45-35
Orange Bowl - Michigan over Maryland 35-7
Sugar Bowl - Ohio State over Syracuse 20-13

You are going to absolutely love this:

Fiesta Bowl - FRESNO STATE over Florida, 28-26.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 06:23 AM   #147
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Vernon Godfrey is up for the Heisman this year. I vote for him, of course.

Vernon ended tied for sixth with 95 votes, less than his sophomore year. He won the following states: Michigan, Montana, Hawaii, Utah, Oklahoma, Alabama, and Arkansas. Asa reminder, Vernon was from New York.

We finished the season ranked #5, #7 in the AP Poll, #9 in teh Coach's Poll, #4 in the computer rankings.

Awards:

All-American Second Team:

Vernon Godfrey

All-American Senior Team:

Vernon Godfrey

MAC MVP:

Vernon Godfrey

MAC First Team:

RB Vernon Godfrey
WR Adam Edwards
K Carlos Page
DE Curtis Page
ILB Frank Burns
CB Bart Reilly

MAC Second Team:

G Norm Paswater
OLB Brenden Goodwin

MAC Academic Team:

WR Leo Rupp
OT Barry Bartrum
DE Rich Harper
DT Richard Thurgood
S Mercury Bennett

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 08:11 AM   #148
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Some Stats:

QB Artie Brown, 8 starts, 1985 yards, 15:11, 134.1 Rating
Pat Pierce, 4 starts, 1252 yards, 13:3, 161.1 Rating
Jorge Strickland, 1 start, 83 yards, 1:0, 122.8 Rating
Jim Small, no starts, 122 yards, 1:0, 116.8 Rating

Obviously, Artie was our regular starter, but Pat was really pouring it on in place of Artie until he was also injured. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Spring Camps.

RB Vernon Godfrey, 327 carries for 1658 yards, 17 TDs, 71 catches, 603 yards, 8 TDs

Vernon was obviously a man. The man. An amazing man. I'll miss him.

WR Adam Edwards, 77 grabs for 1150 yards, 7 TDs
Rob Shanks, 47 grabs for 604 yards, 5 TDs
Leo Rupp, 6 starts, 18 catches, 208 yards, 2 TDs
Ellis Kantowski, 6 starts, 13 catches, 257 yards, 1 TD

In 6 starts, Ellis had a mighty 13 catches? Leo had 18? That's not good numbers. Maybe Vernon was such a good pass outlet, that he took a lot of catches away from the other players, but it's obvious that the Leo/Kantowski starting position was very poor.

And Adam Edwards had our best receiving year ever.

K Carlos Page, 21 of 24 FGs (long of 57), 48 of 48 PATs.

You just don't find kickers like this very often.

ILB Frank Burns, 81 tacks, 31 assts, 5 sacks, 21 TFL, 1 Int, 6 PasDef, 1 FF
OLB Mitchell Ebbitt, 48 tacks, 13 assts, 3 sacks, 13 TFL, 3 PasDef, 2 FF
OLB Brenden Goodwin, 9 starts, 46 tacks, 8 assts, 5 TFL, 1 Int, 5 PasDef, 1 FF

Since we had a rotating door at the other ILB position due to injury, these were our regular starters above. Frank had a great year, the kind I had hoped for.

DE Curtis Page, 53 tacks, 21 assts, 20.5 sacks, 31 TFL, 1 FumRec
Rich Harper, 39 tacks, 17 assts, 7 sacks, 13 TFL, 1 Int, 1 PasDef
DT Trevor Murray, 14 tacks, 5 assts, 3.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 1 FF, 1 FumRec

Did we even have a defensive tackle on the field last year? We might as well have played another LB or something. Note Curtis Page's huge year. He did not get any All American honors despite having the third most sacks and third most TFL of any defensive player in the nation. Our best DE performance ever.

CB Bart Reilly, 43 tacks, 19 assts, 1 sack, 7 TFL, 6 Ints, 16 PasDef
Ed Boss, 21 tacks, 9 assts, 2 TFL, 1 Int, 5 PasDef, 2 FF, 1 FumRec
S Deion Thomas, 42 tacks, 17 assts, 7 TFL, 2 Ints, 8 PasDef
Joseph Frederick, 41 tacks, 15 assts, 7 TFL, 3 Ints, 1 Int Ret TD, 9 PasDef, 2 FF, 2 FumRec

Likewise, did we have a second corner on the field? Bart had a nice year, proving that he truly was a shutdown corner like he was billed to be.

G William Singleton, 35 KRB, 13 SkA
Norm Paswater, 32 KRB, 7 SkA
C Kurt Whiting, 33 KRB, 1 SkA
T Barry Bartrum, 24 KRB, 9 SkA
Ralph Borders, 21 KRB, 10 SkA

Kurt Whiting had a tremendous year when you look at the stats. Good blocking by the interior people all year long.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 08:23 AM   #149
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A few career stats of graduating players:

RB Vernon Godfrey, 48 starts (started every game), 5245 yards rushing, 48 TDs, 232 catches, 1955 receiving yards, 21 TDs, 1 KR TD.

A true stud. Vernon took us to two MAC Championships. He was a lot of fun, and he'll be missed. He was twice a Heisman runner-up, MAC MVP twice, MAC first team RB three times, and so forth.

C Kurt Whiting, 48 starts, 90 KRB, 27 SkA

Kurt started for us every game, every year. Every time Vernon ran, Kurt was there. It's important to connect the success of one to the other. Both were in the same recruit class, which is a bit interesting.

WR Adam Edwards, 46 starts (missed 2 due to injury), 215 catches, 3436 yards, 24 TDs.

Another member of the same recruiting class yielded Adam Edwards. Adam is the career receiving leader here at EMU with those 3436 yards.

DE Rich Harper, 42 starts, 147 tacks, 71 assts, 27 sacks, 49 TFL, 1 Int, 1 PasDef, 1 FF, 3 FumRec

Rich was a solid enough starter, but never excelled except for two years ago when he had 13.5 sacks.

DE Curtis Page, 33 starts, 109 tacks, 49 assts, 37 sacks, 53 TFL, 1 PasDef, 1 FF, 2 FumRec

Curtis is our career sack leader, despite only starting for two and a half seasons. His tackles, starts, and such are much worse than Rich, but yet Curtis had more sacks and more TFL.

G Norm Paswater, 48 starts, 92 KRB, 28 SkA

Along with Kurt, Norm started every game and blocked for Vernon. Amazingly good blocker who should be remembered with Vernon and Kurt.

What is interesting to point out, I think, is that all of these players were in the same recruiting class. Our all time rushing yards leader, receiving yards leader, KRB leader, and sack leader - all in the same class.

-Anxiety

Old 01-06-2004, 08:33 AM   #150
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"All-American High School Quarterback Chose Eastern Michigan

Steve Atwater
Phoenix Sun

Earlier this week, the All-American High School Football Team was selected. Headlining the team was quarterback Horace Bailey, from Melrose High in Melrose Minnesota.

Looking at the various high school players on the list produces a who's who of colleges they have committed to. Virginia Tech, South Carolina, UCLA, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Stanford, Penn State, Arizona and so forth.

Every year, a few players end up going to schools other then your typical football powerhouse, and this year is no exception. Texas Tech, Louisville, Baylor and Buffalo are pulled in recruits on the All-America High School Team. Pulling in a DE, DT, K, and OT respectively, in nothing unusual.

However, when the overall best Quarterback in the nation chooses to go somewhere other than the major football schools, you wonder.

Can we wonder anymore? Horace chose Eastern Michigan University, the Cinderella story of 2009 with a perfect 13-0 season. A few years ago, EMU recruited Justin Goodwin, a highly touted QB from Montana. Now, it seems that they have again struck QB gold, this time from another northern state - Minnesota.

Horace completed 127 of 221 passes in 9 games for 2125 yards and 12 TDs with only 2 Ints. Will he follow in the footsteps of recent great EMU quarterbacks like Justin Goodwin and Darrin Wall?

I guess we shall see shortly."

-Anxiety