Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2006, 04:31 AM   #101
Groundhog
Coordinator

Another new mock up. Top 5 stays the same, though I still don't see Aldridge falling to the Hawks at #5.

Jordan Farmar is the big climber in this mock, now going to #13. I have a feeling he may go even higher come draft day. Rondo however, who I've been hearing good things about, they have to the Lakers at #26. Odd, as from what I read he should be much higher. I still hope the Cavs don't take him if he's around.

Cavs take Douby once again in this mock. As I said before, I haven't been hearing a lot about this guy. I'm sure those GMs picking in the teens will be keeping their mouths shut in an effort to make sure he's available when they pick however.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #102
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't really care which position the Cavs take as long as the player can impact the roster in a positive way. Really, any solid player could get minutes his first year regardless of position. A PG would be nice, i just cant see getting a starter type that late in the draft.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #103
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Not draft related but it looks like the NBA is going to be using a new design on their basketballs next season.

Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

Eww.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #105
Groundhog
Coordinator

That should help raise those shooting percentages.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #106
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
Not draft related but it looks like the NBA is going to be using a new design on their basketballs next season.

It's apparently the same ball that was used at the All Star Game this year. And from what I've heard the ball will be synthetic (no longer leather) making for a more consistent feeling among the balls, but it will also be slicker.

Joy. More turnovers.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #107
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
It's apparently the same ball that was used at the All Star Game this year. And from what I've heard the ball will be synthetic (no longer leather) making for a more consistent feeling among the balls, but it will also be slicker.

Joy. More turnovers.

Maybe they can introduce a special free throw ball only in use on free throws.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #108
timmynausea
College Starter

I doubt it effects his stock much, but J.J. Redick apparently got arrested for a DWI last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2482061
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #109
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just in time to drop him down to the Cavs.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #110
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

The mock drafts I'm seeing and speculation I've read have Brandon Roy going higher than in the mocks I've seen posted here - he could go as high as #2 to Chicago, and reportedly Portland likes him enough that he probably won't fall past them at #4.

I'm also skeptical of all the mocks that have the Sonics selecting a big man - unless they all know something I don't about the state of negotiations between the Sonics and Chris Wilcox, picking a big doesn't make much sense for Seattle, what with Robert Swift and Johan Petro at C and Chris Wilcox and Nick Collison at PF. The Sonics would be better off with a 3 to back up Rashard Lewis (and perhaps step in for him if he leaves as a FA or the Sonics decide to swap him in a blockbuster) or a 2 to groom behind Ray Allen.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #111
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I see the Bulls taking either Thomas or Roy truthfully.

Thomas has been getting rave reviews from everybody in camp from what I am hearing and Paxson knows that what we could surely use on this team is an athletic monster like him.

Roy would fit in perfectly in the Bulls' back court along side Gordon and Hinrich. He's a big guard (last I heard he was measuring in at 6'6'', any truth to that?) and he should let Hinrich guard PGs again who he is better suited for.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #112
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He's a big guard (last I heard he was measuring in at 6'6'', any truth to that?) and he should let Hinrich guard PGs again who he is better suited for.
Yeah, I've never heard anyone dispute his height - he's been at 6'6" his whole time at the UW. He's a good combo player - he's probably best suited for the 2, but he's got the athleticism to compete at the 3 against most opponents, and he can guard 1's and play OK PG himself when needed.

Roy's biggest knock is his jump shot. He's worked hard on it, but he's not Ray Allen. His offensive strengths are getting to the bucket and drawing contact. He's a good defensive player, a good passer, puts some effort on hitting the boards, but most of all he's just a very smart basketball player. He's the kind of guy that is so smooth and natural that you may not really notice him and then you look at the stat sheet and see he's popped 25 points, 7 boards and 5 assists.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #113
miami_fan
Coordinator

UCLA guard Afflalo withdraws from NBA draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2489123

LOS ANGELES -- UCLA guard Arron Afflalo withdrew from the NBA draft Saturday, allowing him to return for his junior season.

Jordan Farmar, the other half of the Bruins' star backcourt, declared for the draft the same day in April as Afflalo. Neither player signed with an agent, so Farmar is eligible to return, too.

"He's still formulating his decision," coach Ben Howland said.

The deadline to withdraw from the draft is 5 p.m. ET Sunday.

Afflalo said he worked out individually for the Lakers, Clippers, Chicago, Cleveland and Indiana.

"Some of the teams thought I was a second-round talent," he said during a conference call. "A few teams did indicate I was a first-round talent. It was never about money. I was looking for the right situation for me."

He said he received mostly positive feedback from the teams, with some wanting him to improve creating off the dribble for himself and others.

Afflalo had said he would return to school if he wasn't assured of being a first-round pick who would receive a guaranteed contract.

"It was very hard for teams to guarantee things," he said. "It definitely wasn't worth jeopardizing the great situation I'm in here."

Afflalo and Farmar led the Bruins to a runner-up finish to Florida in the national championship game after helping them win the Pacific-10 Conference regular-season and tournament titles.

Afflalo and Farmar, the Bruins' co-captains, shared the John Wooden Award as the team's most valuable players last season. UCLA finished 32-7, tying a school record for most wins.

Afflalo was the leading scorer at 15.8 points and Farmar was second at 13.5. He also led the Pac-10 in assists.

"What's to be disappointed about? This is a great team," Afflalo said. "I enjoy playing with my teammates. I knew I could make a lot of people happy with this decision."

Especially Howland, who signed Afflalo and Farmar as his first two recruits when he took over in Westwood three seasons ago.

"We're very fortunate to have him back," Howland said. "No doubt in my mind, he will be in the NBA someday. It's just a matter of when, not if."
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #114
miami_fan
Coordinator

Final U.S. Early Entry List

Player School Height Status
LaMarcus Aldridge Texas 6-10 Sophomore
Renaldo Balkman South Carolina 6-8 Junior
Will Blalock Iowa State 5-11 Junior
Josh Boone Connecticut 6-10 Junior
Ronnie Brewer Arkansas 6-6 Junior
Shannon Brown Michigan State 6-4 Junior
Derek Burditt Blinn College (TX) 6-7 Sophomore
Travis DeGroot Delta State 6-4 Junior
Guillermo Diaz Miami (FL) 6-2 Junior
Quincy Douby Rutgers 6-3 Junior
Mike Efevberha Cal-State Northridge 6-5 Junior
Jordan Farmar UCLA 6-2 Sophomore
Thomas Gardner Missouri 6-5 Junior
Rudy Gay Connecticut 6-8 Sophomore
Daniel Gibson Texas 6-2 Sophomore
LeShawn Hammett St. Francis (PA) 6-0 Junior
Tedric Hill Gulf Coast CC (FL) 6-10 Sophomore
Donald Jeffes Gulf Coast CC (FL) 6-8 Sophomore
Alexander Johnson Florida State 6-9 Junior
David Johnson Clinton JC (SC) 6-7 Junior
Mark Konecny Lambuth University (TN) 6-10 Junior
Kyle Lowry Villanova 6-0 Sophomore
Paul Millsap Louisiana Tech 6-8 Junior
Matt Mitchell Southern University-New Orleans 6-0 Junior
Adam Morrison Gonzaga 6-8 Junior
Patrick O'Bryant Bradley 7-0 Sophomore
Danilo (J.R.) Pinnock George Washington 6-5 Junior
Leon Powe California 6-8 Sophomore
Rajon Rondo Kentucky 6-2 Sophomore
Cedric Simmons North Carolina State 6-9 Sophomore
Marcus Slaughter San Diego State 6-8 Junior
Curtis Stinson Iowa State 6-3 Junior
Tyrus Thomas LSU 6-9 Freshman
P.J. Tucker Texas 6-5 Junior
Darius Washington Jr. Memphis 6-2 Sophomore
Marcus Williams Connecticut 6-3 Junior
Shawne Williams Memphis 6-9 Freshman

From a purely basketball point of view, I really can't understand why Josh Boone and Daniel Gibson are coming out early. Maybe scouts have them rated higher than all the mock drafts are predicting but the latest mock draft I saw has Boone going to PHX while Gibson is supposed to drop to the Magic in the second round. Is school really that bad?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #115
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I see the Bulls taking either Thomas or Roy truthfully.

Thomas has been getting rave reviews from everybody in camp from what I am hearing and Paxson knows that what we could surely use on this team is an athletic monster like him.

Roy would fit in perfectly in the Bulls' back court along side Gordon and Hinrich. He's a big guard (last I heard he was measuring in at 6'6'', any truth to that?) and he should let Hinrich guard PGs again who he is better suited for.

I'm hoping they go with Roy. By all accounts, he's the most NBA ready player, and he fills a big need for the Bulls. I'd rather they get a veteran forward or two anyway.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:15 PM   #116
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Tyrus Thomas cancelled his workout with Portland, rumors are circulating that he has a promise of being a top 3 pick.

Last edited by Neuqua : 06-19-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #117
AgustusM
College Prospect

I think JJ Redick's only chance at a pro career is to get with the right team, like say the Suns that don't play much defense. I don't believe Redick can hang with the average 2 guard in the NBA. However on a team like the Suns where he can run and spot up for 3's he could be very successful. Considering the other offensive talent on that team - he would get a ton of open looks.

and no, I am not a suns fan - I am a warriors fan and since my team has past the clippers for long term ineptitude I must chime in on something else.

and speaking of the warriors I am sure they will draft another good guy who is a few inches too short, a few steps too slow but has a lot of upside.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #118
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Hopefully the Bobcats will take either Roy or Rudy Gay. Adam Morrison was scaring me there for a while, but with Jordan in charge now I think he's out of the picture.

Of interest in Chad Ford's new mock draft:

5. Hawks - Shelden Williams. "Several league sources told Insider in Orlando and Italy that the Hawks had cut a deal with Williams. If so, it's hard to understand. Why cut a deal with a guy who has a 99.9 percent probability of being there at No. 5? "

Ford has Rudy Gay falling to the Celtics at 7, which I think would be a steal. Not as big as Rondo going to the Wizards at 18, which would be insane.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #119
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I find it annoying that ESPN will post official measurements from the NBA draft camp and yet ignore that info in other locations when discussing NBA prospects - to wit, Brandon Roy measured 6'6 1/2" at the combine, yet he is still listed as 6'5" everywhere else on the website. They probably are continuing to get J.J. Redick's height wrong as well.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #120
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
Hopefully the Bobcats will take either Roy or Rudy Gay. Adam Morrison was scaring me there for a while, but with Jordan in charge now I think he's out of the picture.

Of interest in Chad Ford's new mock draft:

5. Hawks - Shelden Williams. "Several league sources told Insider in Orlando and Italy that the Hawks had cut a deal with Williams. If so, it's hard to understand. Why cut a deal with a guy who has a 99.9 percent probability of being there at No. 5? "

Ford has Rudy Gay falling to the Celtics at 7, which I think would be a steal. Not as big as Rondo going to the Wizards at 18, which would be insane.

Wow. Surprised to see Shelden go that high. I really like Shelden and thought he'd be a great pickup for someone at the end of the lottery, but I think the Hawks are nuts to grab him there.

Gay has the potential to slide for sure, but he doesn't really impress me at all. I'd take Morrison over him any day of the week.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #121
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm really hoping Mike Gansey can sneak into the end of the first round. He has tested really well in private workouts with various teams, doing 16-17 reps of 185 pounds along with a 34" vertical.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

New mock up on nbadraft.net, and it's getting interesting:

1 - Raps - Bagnani
2 - Bulls - Thomas
3 - Bobcats - Gay
4 - Blazers - Morrison
5 - Hawks - Shelden Williams
6 - TWolves - Roy
7 - Boston - Aldridge(!!)
13 - 76ers - Marcus Williams
17 - Pacers - Jordan Farmar
18 - Wiz - Saer Sene
23 - Nets - Rajon Rondo
25 - Cavs - Shawne Williams
34 - Clips - Quincy Douby(!!!)

Shelden has certainly jumped up. He'll have a better rookie year than Aldridge if he finds court time, but I think Aldridge is hard to pass up on. Celts would be pretty happy with Aldridge I'd imagine.

Marcus Williams took a bit of a tumble. At first it's hard to account for, but if Boston don't go with a PG and Houston takes Foye then it's definately a possibility, because the other teams inbetween don't really need a PG, or have more pressing needs.

Farmar to Pacers is a decent fit, and those Wiz bail out some other sucker by grabbing the project that won't pan out.

Shawne Williams might be a good pickup for the Cavs. He's a versatile scorer who can play several positions. He's pretty young though and might not be able to step in and produce from day one.

Douby slipping in to the 2nd round seems strange to me. If he's available I'd take him over Williams.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
New mock up on nbadraft.net, and it's getting interesting:

1 - Raps - Bagnani
2 - Bulls - Thomas
3 - Bobcats - Gay
4 - Blazers - Morrison
5 - Hawks - Shelden Williams
6 - TWolves - Roy
13 - 76ers - Marcus Williams
17 - Pacers - Jordan Farmar
18 - Wiz - Saer Sene
23 - Nets - Rajon Rondo
25 - Cavs - Shawne Williams
34 - Clips - Quincy Douby(!!!)

Shelden has certainly jumped up. He'll have a better rookie year than Aldridge if he finds court time, but I think Aldridge is hard to pass up on. Celts would be pretty happy with Aldridge I'd imagine.

Marcus Williams took a bit of a tumble. At first it's hard to account for, but if Boston don't go with a PG and Houston takes Foye then it's definately a possibility, because the other teams inbetween don't really need a PG, or have more pressing needs.

Farmar to Pacers is a decent fit, and those Wiz bail out some other sucker by grabbing the project that won't pan out.

Shawne Williams might be a good pickup for the Cavs. He's a versatile scorer who can play several positions. He's pretty young though and might not be able to step in and produce from day one.

Douby slipping in to the 2nd round seems strange to me. If he's available I'd take him over Williams.

I think I want the SG from West Virginia in the first round. His name escapes me, I think it's Gansey, but I think he will be a good fit for the offense. That Senagalese guy also has me interested. I'd take a Diop type at 25. I also heard that it's looking like Gooden might be headed out in some sort of 3 way that brings in Mike James. I'll give Ferry another chance this offseason before I hate on his signings too bad.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
I'm really hoping Mike Gansey can sneak into the end of the first round. He has tested really well in private workouts with various teams, doing 16-17 reps of 185 pounds along with a 34" vertical.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him go 25 to Cleveland. Local guy who can stretch the floor. Even if it is dupilication to our other white wing guys, but I think they will mainly be used as filler in some offseason trades.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #125
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rumour: Toronto sends #1 Pick & Alvin Williams to Charlotte for #3 Pick & Brevin Knight.

If this goes down, the draft will likely look like this IMO:

1# - Bobcats - Tyrus Thomas - Thomas has a top-3 pick promise. He refused to workout for the Blazers at #4, and only worked out for the Bulls yesterday. This to me tells me that the Bulls want him at #2, and is the only reason why I could see the Bobcats desperately want to move up.
2# - Bulls - Andrea Bargnani - Dissapointed they didn't get their man, they grab the guy the Raps would have taken #1.
3# - Raptors - Brandon Roy - I suspect the Raptors would have loved this guy even at #1, but figured it was too high to take him. Now they have a replacement PG with Knight and a solid SG ready to step right in.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #126
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Rumour: Toronto sends #1 Pick & Alvin Williams to Charlotte for #3 Pick & Brevin Knight.

If this goes down, the draft will likely look like this IMO:

1# - Bobcats - Tyrus Thomas - Thomas has a top-3 pick promise. He refused to workout for the Blazers at #4, and only worked out for the Bulls yesterday. This to me tells me that the Bulls want him at #2, and is the only reason why I could see the Bobcats desperately want to move up.
2# - Bulls - Andrea Bargnani - Dissapointed they didn't get their man, they grab the guy the Raps would have taken #1.
3# - Raptors - Brandon Roy - I suspect the Raptors would have loved this guy even at #1, but figured it was too high to take him. Now they have a replacement PG with Knight and a solid SG ready to step right in.

That rumour has been flying around here for weeks. I dont see it happening. The latest rumour i read was Seattle and Toronto working on a deal involving each of their pics, Ray Allen and Charlie V. I dont think that will happen either.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:49 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Raps sent Bonner and Williams for Nesterovic. Offseason seems to be in full swing here shortly. LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Carmelo can all sign new (max)extensions on the first.

Maybe retitle this thread 2006 Draft/Offseason instead of starting another offseason thread?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:00 PM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I like this move. The raps shave about 2.5 million off their cap with the swap, plus save about another half million in the rookie salary hold. Probably still get a player they want as well. Williams has about 2 years and 14 million, Knight expires after this season(4.4 this year).
Old 06-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #129
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

I'm really interested to see what the Celtics do in the draft and this offseason. A full season with Wally World and Pierce should get this team to the playoffs. The C's have some great role players in D. West, Perkins, Tony Allen, and Ryan Gomes. If Al Jefferson and Gerald Green improve this team should be anywhere from first to third in the Atlantic.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #130
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Raps sent Bonner and Williams for Nesterovic.

Decent trade for both teams. Nesto is nothing special, but is tons better than anything else the Raps had in the post last season. Bonner and Williams will both fit in at San Antonio, too.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #131
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He'll have a better rookie year than Aldridge if he finds court time, but I think Aldridge is hard to pass up on. Celts would be pretty happy with Aldridge I'd imagine.

I'm a little worried about Aldridge's work ethic/drive. Everything I've read on him seems to say that he's a great talent but is a little soft. Last thing the Celtics need is another Marc Blount. If he does slip to 7, I hope the C's can make a trade to land a veteran (pg or C) and a later pick.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #132
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2
I'm really interested to see what the Celtics do in the draft and this offseason. A full season with Wally World and Pierce should get this team to the playoffs. The C's have some great role players in D. West, Perkins, Tony Allen, and Ryan Gomes. If Al Jefferson and Gerald Green improve this team should be anywhere from first to third in the Atlantic.

They really need some veterans. They have the opportunity to get yet another good, young player, but I don't know if it will help them that much. Marcus Williams or Randy Foye should find their way to the Celtics IMO.

As for Al Jefferson, I was expecting last year to be his breakout year, but it didn't really happen. He shows flashes, though I think Perkins is the more solid of the two right now.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #133
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm just curious, who do you see the Celtics knocking out of a playoff spot next year?

8. Bucks-Vulnerable, yes, but Bogut has a full year now. Possibly fall out though
7. Bulls-Have lots of Cap space, #2 and #16 picks, not losing anyone of note
6. Pacers-In a bit of a transition, no Artest to sink this year however. Assuming they get Peja to come back, O'Neal healthy, I can't see them missing the playoffs.
5. Wizards-Great "Big 3," play pretty well as a team. Need some help to get over the top, but with Arenas playing like he does, I can't see them in the lottery.
4. Cavs-With a good offseason should be in the thick of things again.
3. Nets-3 great players, plus that Kristic(sp/) they have looks like he could be great. Have a pair of first rounders to add depth.
2. Heat-Champs
1. Pistons-Aging, but still have 2-3 more legitimate shots at the title.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #134
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm a little worried about Aldridge's work ethic/drive. Everything I've read on him seems to say that he's a great talent but is a little soft. Last thing the Celtics need is another Marc Blount. If he does slip to 7, I hope the C's can make a trade to land a veteran (pg or C) and a later pick.

Yup, his lack of strength and the fact that he was outshone by some college bigs last year hurts him, and it's seen him slide from #1 selection possibility to perhaps out of the top 5. Like you said though, he has trade value. The Celtics don't really need him, but one of the teams below would no doubt bite.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Decent trade for both teams. Nesto is nothing special, but is tons better than anything else the Raps had in the post last season. Bonner and Williams will both fit in at San Antonio, too.

I should add it's eric williams, instead of Alvin Williams. Eric Williams is a pretty good spot(although overpaid) player. Or at least has been in the past.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #136
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I should add it's eric williams, instead of Alvin Williams. Eric Williams is a pretty good spot(although overpaid) player. Or at least has been in the past.

Yeah, he's got the same defensive intensity as Bowen. But he hasn't played much in awhile.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #137
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm just curious, who do you see the Celtics knocking out of a playoff spot next year?

8. Bucks-Vulnerable, yes, but Bogut has a full year now. Possibly fall out though
7. Bulls-Have lots of Cap space, #2 and #16 picks, not losing anyone of note
6. Pacers-In a bit of a transition, no Artest to sink this year however. Assuming they get Peja to come back, O'Neal healthy, I can't see them missing the playoffs.
5. Wizards-Great "Big 3," play pretty well as a team. Need some help to get over the top, but with Arenas playing like he does, I can't see them in the lottery.
4. Cavs-With a good offseason should be in the thick of things again.
3. Nets-3 great players, plus that Kristic(sp/) they have looks like he could be great. Have a pair of first rounders to add depth.
2. Heat-Champs
1. Pistons-Aging, but still have 2-3 more legitimate shots at the title.

First let me agree that the East is no longer the crap league it was 4-5 years ago.

Nets: I think they are just another Jason Kidd injury away from plummeting. I think Jefferson (like K-Mart) is just a product of the Jason Kidd effect. Vince is Vince, when they're winning he plays, when they're sucking, he pouts or is "injured."

Pacers: J. O'Neal may not even be back this season, and even if he is, I don't think he can throw a team on his back.

Bucks: What you said.

So looking at what you said, it doesn't look good for the Celtics. But I do think they are similar to the Bulls from a year or two ago only the C's have a premiere player in Pierce who can shoulder much of the load. They are so young that they are no doubt going to develop and gel into a much more solid/consistent team.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #138
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I don't see Charlotte trading up to draft a PF in the lottery for the third straight year.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #139
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Chad Ford's got new info posted.
Re: Raptors trading the #1

Quote:
It sounds like the Raptors are still considering five players: Bargnani, Morrison, Gay, Aldridge and Tyrus Thomas, probably in that order.

What about a trade? The Toronto Sun reported this morning that the hot rumor had the Raptors swapping the No. 1 pick and Alvin Williams for Brevin Knight and Charlotte's No. 3 pick.

Not being considered, according to Colangelo.

"We have had some interest in some Bobcats players," Colangelo said, "but we're looking to do something much bigger with the No. 1 pick."

Does that mean a trade is in the works? For weeks it seemed the Raptors were likely to trade the pick. Now, maybe not.

"I'm feeling less and less that it's an option right now," Colangelo said. "The more we zone in on the prospects of the draft, the more I think we're comfortable keeping the pick. There are several players in this draft that could really help us."

Re: Tyrus Thomas guarantee

Quote:
Tyrus Thomas' agents, Brian Elfus and Michael Siegel, seeking to quell rumors that their client had shut down his workouts because he had received a promise to be taken by a team with a top-three pick in the upcoming draft, spoke to me Wednesday to set the record straight.

"Tyrus has not nor has he ever been guaranteed a draft selection by the Bulls or any other team," Siegel said.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 AM   #140
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll take Aldridge in a second. He's the only player who excites me. (Well actually Brandon Roy does too, but if we get him he plays the same position as Pierce/Wally/Allen/Green.) The only places we have minutes available are C and PG. I don't like Marcus Williams or Rondo, and think a front-court rotation of Aldridge/Perkins (also had work ethic questioned when we picked him)/Gomes/Jefferson would produce at least 1 all-star level frontcourt player in the future. I don't want them trading away a future chance to compete for a championship just to qualify as like a 6 seed for the next couple years.

Only way I would support a trade down would be if it was a package deal with a Sczerbiak etc. to get a legitimate front-court star (Jermaine O'Neal-level) or if we picked Quincy Douby with our lower pick. That kid will be one of the top 3 players from this draft when all is said and done. I think I saw Villanova play a triangle and two, with the two doubling Douby in the 2nd half of a game this year. I love Quincy Douby.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:15 AM   #141
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD

I think you cut the deal so that Shelden Williams doesn't work out for any other teams. This means they don't get to see Shelden Williams in person and they are less likely to pick him. If the Hawks really really like him, they don't want another team trading up to No. 4 to get him.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 AM   #142
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Raps sent Bonner and Williams for Nesterovic. Offseason seems to be in full swing here shortly. LeBron/Wade/Bosh/Carmelo can all sign new (max)extensions on the first.

Maybe retitle this thread 2006 Draft/Offseason instead of starting another offseason thread?

IF they can just get defense and rebounding out of Rasho, then it is a great trade for the Raptors. Prevents Bosh from having to spend so much time playing against both the 4 and 5 spots of the opposing team.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-22-2006, 05:38 AM   #143
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The Celts are expecting Jefferson to be much better. They hired Clifford Ray as an assistant coach. Ray has a pretty good record working with young big man.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-22-2006, 07:30 AM   #144
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Only way I would support a trade down would be if it was a package deal with a Sczerbiak etc. to get a legitimate front-court star (Jermaine O'Neal-level) or if we picked Quincy Douby with our lower pick. That kid will be one of the top 3 players from this draft when all is said and done. I think I saw Villanova play a triangle and two, with the two doubling Douby in the 2nd half of a game this year. I love Quincy Douby.

I love Douby too. I honestly think the best place for Douby is Cleveland, since LeBron can run the point, they can get away with 2 smaller guards. Douby will be decent wherever he goes tho, since he can create his own shot, and led the Big East in scoring despite being triple teamed constantly.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #145
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Larry Brown-Officially Fired. Isiah to take over(As expected).
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #146
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Larry Brown is out. It's official. Isiah Thomas is in.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 AM   #147
wade moore
lolzcat

Photo finish........

stevew by a nose hair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #148
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Larry Brown-Officially Fired. Isiah to take over(As expected).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Larry Brown is out. It's official. Isiah Thomas is in.
Today is one of the happier days in UIC history.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #149
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

According to Chad Ford the Nuggets are looking to deal K-Mart (to TWolves or Knicks) and Andre Miller (to the Celtics). They want to clear cap and move up in the draft. Miller is better than any of the PGs in this draft so I'm not completely against it as a Celtics fan.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 AM   #150
st.cronin
General Manager

I like Andre Miller's game a LOT. I would be all for that move.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote