Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #101
Schmidty
Coordinator

Is this suitable for a very mature 7 year old who's not afraid of anything?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #102
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I saw the movie last night and I am still forming an opinion. I will probably see it again this weekend.

Overall, I thought the movie was very well done. If I had walked in without ever seeing anything Star Trek, I would have enjoyed it. (I have been a Star Trek fan since the mid 1980's).

The recasting of the major players I think was very well done. Bones and Spock were excellent. Checkov and Scotty were a little over the top, but weren't show stoppers.

I really don't want to give anything away here, since I know alot of you will be seeing the movie this weekend. I will just say that if you are a Star Trek fan, there will be several scenes that make you go "wtf".

Minor Spoiler:

Spoiler

I agree. There were 2-3 things about the movie that just like...totally bugged me and threw me off about the movie. Like you said - if I wasn't a fan I would have liked it from the standpoint of a generic sci-fi movie, but those few things...idk.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #103
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Gee...I thought you were older than 7 Schmidty...
lerriuqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #104
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerriuqs View Post
Gee...I thought you were older than 7 Schmidty...

Damn, my secret is out!! I've been posting here since the sperm hit the egg.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #105
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I cant think of anything in the movie that would be bad for a mature 7 year old.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #106
Tigercat
College Starter

I think the worst might be Kirk starting to make out with a green alien woman and then Uhara undressing, but neither cross the line into nudity or any kind of real sexual content.

Beyond that its just typical scifi violence and one chase scene with potentially scary monsters.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #107
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and the time where the guy on the drill gets the sword put thru his chest from behind by the guy playing sulu

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-08-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #108
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Just watched both Star Trek and Wolverine with the 9 year old daughter. Star Trek was perfectly fine for the young, a couple bad words and a couple girls half naked as said above is the worst. My daughter loved it. She also loved the Transformers preview.

It was much better then I thought it would be, I didn't have much hope for it. I thought it did Star Trek proud and then some. I liked it better then Wolverine.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #109
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I saw this tonight and must say while i have watched the different incarnations of Star Trek i have never been a huge fan. For me this movie just rocked. I really liked the actors that they picked to play the original characters and thought the whole movie was very well done. This is definitely not your daddy's Star Trek.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #110
AgustusM
College Prospect

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. Was not really a fan growing up - but was very pleasantly surprised. My 11 year old son absolutely loved it.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #111
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. Was not really a fan growing up - but was very pleasantly surprised. My 11 year old son absolutely loved it.

I haven't seen it but I think if you have a boy(s) 7 or older they will love it but a girl no matter the age probabbly won't.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #112
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I just said my 9 year old daughter loved it. By daughter I mean girl, not a girlie boy.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:12 AM   #113
RendeR
Coordinator

Just did a review of it on facebook, I will be seeing this movie again, probably a couple more times. I'm thrilled. I went in with fears about a lot of things and honestly, while its going to take a little getting used to, I simply cannot wait for the next installment.

MORE PLEASE, K Thnx!

And yes, the initial prelude is a bit gut wrenching, but after that its a pretty standard/mild action film.

I am a fan. Long Live Star Trek!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I enjoyed it. I mean, I hated the historical deviations, but in some ways...enjoy the reboot as a way to get back into the series. Though I'd much prefer a DS9 movie, to be honest.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:11 AM   #115
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

The folks on that message board take their Trek seriously.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #116
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the progression in this thread from hate to love is fascinating
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:46 AM   #117
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, curious, can anyone tell me what they found so jarring historically (and in particular near the beginning)?

I would do that in spoiler form. I have seen it. I am a Star Trek fan, so I am generally familiar with the history, although I would guess I don't remember as much detail as some.

My side thought to the potential "surprises" people are talking about is this...

Spoiler

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #118
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Well, I could list a lot of things that are wrong with this movie as far as Star Trek cannon.... but most if not all could be explained away with the alternate timeline storyline...

The list, just off the top of my head:
Spoiler

Now, don't get me wrong.. The stuff listed above are merely observations... I am not complaining. My personal view is that I would have preferred to have seen a sequal to Nemesis, so they could have wrapped up that series, and cleaned up the death of Data.... but I know that if Star Trek had continued on the path they were heading on, Star Trek would have died (if it wasn't already dead).

I would much rather have Star Trek in this form, with new actors and a new "universe", then no Star Trek at all.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #119
Tigercat
College Starter

The way I see it, pretty much any change in this movie from what happened in the original star trek universe can be explained by the polluted timeline.

Spoiler

Last edited by Tigercat : 05-09-2009 at 06:27 AM.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:29 AM   #120
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, I could list a lot of things that are wrong with this movie as far as Star Trek cannon.... but most if not all could be explained away with the alternate timeline storyline...

Spoiler

Now, don't get me wrong.. The stuff listed above are merely observations... I am not complaining. My personal view is that I would have preferred to have seen a sequal to Nemesis, so they could have wrapped up that series, and cleaned up the death of Data.... but I know that if Star Trek had continued on the path they were heading on, Star Trek would have died (if it wasn't already dead).

I would much rather have Star Trek in this form, with new actors and a new "universe", then no Star Trek at all.

You're the kind of person I wondered about with this movie. I like Star Trek have seen all the movies, all the old episodes, and a lot of TNG ones. However, you thought of things I wouldn't have. I wonder how many hardcore fans will look at this and cringe whereas I think they should be counting their lucky stars (pun intended) as they now have Star Trek not only reborn but reborn into a world with extremely young characters who can make many movies, a world that is different from the first so that now you have the ability to make massive story changes ala the one you mention about Vulcan...etc. Just adds the ability to give the new series it's own world, it's own identity, its own story lines.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #121
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I agree with you completely.... I was worried about seeing the movie. I was concerned that JJ Abrams would shit all over the Star Trek universe. But I was more concerned that this movie would suck, and Star Trek would be done for a generation.

If this movie turns out to be a commercial success, the possibilities are endless. Sequels, TV Shows, etc...

IMDB already has the next Star Trek movie listed:

Untitled Star Trek Sequel (2011)
Old 05-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #122
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Dola,

I am seeing a lot of rumors about the potential sequel fixing the Star Trek timeline. I think that would be a HUGE mistake. Now that they have gone down this road, I really hope they dont use a Star Trek type solution (time traveling fixers, Q, going through another worm hole, etc, etc) to fix it.

I am actually very interested to see where this vision of Star Trek goes, and if they "fix" it, I really think you are going to lose any new fans that you just picked up.

p.s. I really hope this is the last star trek movie with time travel. 3 out of 11 movies is enough.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 05-09-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #123
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola,

p.s. I really hope this is the last star trek movie with time travel. 3 out of 11 movies is enough.

I thought the proper ratio of all things doable was 7 of 9.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 AM   #124
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I thought the proper ratio of all things doable was 7 of 9.

well done
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #125
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, I just said my 9 year old daughter loved it. By daughter I mean girl, not a girlie boy.

Sorry, I missed your post. I was going to qualify my statement that girls under 9 may not care for this movie.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #126
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Sorry, I missed your post. I was going to qualify my statement that girls under 9 may not care for this movie.

My daughter loves sci-fi and fantasy, so I guarantee that she'll like it.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #127
DanGarion
Coordinator

Wife and I absolutely loved it (she never watched Star Trek and isn't a big Sci-Fi fan). 10 out of 10 all the way. One of the best Sci-Fi movies I've seen in a long time.

Everything JJ Abrams touches is gold and this just continues that.

Some neat JJ Abrams "comic" world stuff from the movie, the mention of Slusho when Uhura was ordering drinks at the bar. Also the use of Red Matter, total flashback to Alias.

I thought the story was perfect for a series reboot, there was no better way to make this their own story then to have some type of timeline change. All the picks for the characters were nearly perfect the movie was just pure fun and action packed. Would love to see a deeper sequel, but this was a perfect story to start it all up!

Last edited by DanGarion : 05-09-2009 at 01:08 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #128
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs down

Quote:

Spoiler

Other thoughts by me - may be updated later also:

Spoiler

I agree with fantom's observations. I'm...I'm torn. The longer I sit and think on it, the more I dislike it to be honest.

Now let me try to explain why. Using time-travel to alter the past and essentially place us in an "alternate timeline" is essentially a big "fuck you" to all the fans, saying "we don't care about all the years that you spent getting attached to the other timeline, we're just going to wipe it out in 2 hours."

It's a judgement on the value of our time as fans.

Honestly, if they wanted more of an "action film" why not do a "mirror universe TOS origins" type of movie or something? Then you could have fistfights and sex and etc.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-09-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #129
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Great movie.

10/10.

My girlfriend, who doesn't follow Star Trek at all, loved it. Heck, it even got a nice round of applause here when the credits rolled.

I'm glad they finally decided to do a reboot through the time-travel storyline. We can now completely forget about the past and they can retell new epic stories with the same characters that existing fans know and love.

They've introduced Star Trek to a whole new generation of fans, and I hope they keep up with it.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #130
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I'm glad they finally decided to do a reboot through the time-travel storyline. We can now completely forget about the past and they can retell new epic stories with the same characters that existing fans know and love.

They've introduced Star Trek to a whole new generation of fans, and I hope they keep up with it.

So for the next movie, if someone in the cast wants more money they can do a new reboot with another time travel & start it anew once agin.

So no Captain Pike in this film?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #131
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
So for the next movie, if someone in the cast wants more money they can do a new reboot with another time travel & start it anew once agin.

So no Captain Pike in this film?

Captain Pike was there.

edit:

I think Trek fans should thank their lucky stars that this movie might have just single handedly saved the franchise from being completely shelved.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 05-09-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #132
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'll still wait to Netflix this film.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #133
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think Trek fans should thank their lucky stars that this movie might have just single handedly saved the franchise from being completely shelved.

I kind of agree. There hasn't been much going on with Star Trek for a while now. Next Gen was the last Star Trek project that really mattered to me. Voyager was ok, but nothing I cared about too much, not like the original movies, show, and Next Gen anyways. Enterprise wasn't even worth watching. Deep Space Nine was probably in the Voyager category for me, though I know others liked it a lot.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-09-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #134
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Good to hear the good reviews. When the previews first came out I thought it looked good. But the ads ramping up to release made it look like just another CGI vomiting action movie.

I'll have to check it out.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-09-2009 at 02:16 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #135
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

in some sense yes
Old 05-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #136
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Other thoughts by me - may be updated later also:

Spoiler

I agree with fantom's observations. I'm...I'm torn. The longer I sit and think on it, the more I dislike it to be honest.

Now let me try to explain why. Using time-travel to alter the past and essentially place us in an "alternate timeline" is essentially a big "fuck you" to all the fans, saying "we don't care about all the years that you spent getting attached to the other timeline, we're just going to wipe it out in 2 hours."

It's a judgement on the value of our time as fans.

Honestly, if they wanted more of an "action film" why not do a "mirror universe TOS origins" type of movie or something? Then you could have fistfights and sex and etc.

Wow.....couldn't disagree with you more. I think the way they did things was brilliant. They were able to tell the loyal fans, nothing's changed...all of that stuff still happened. Just not in this timeline.

In addition, I think the fight on the bridge had to happen. We're not talking about 45 year old characters. We're talking about 20 year old characters -- both with massive egos.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #137
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Wow.....couldn't disagree with you more. I think the way they did things was brilliant. They were able to tell the loyal fans, nothing's changed...all of that stuff still happened. Just not in this timeline.

In addition, I think the fight on the bridge had to happen. We're not talking about 45 year old characters. We're talking about 20 year old characters -- both with massive egos.

"not in this timeline" to me = "you wasted your time caring about the other timeline" essentially
Old 05-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"not in this timeline" to me = "you wasted your time caring about the other timeline" essentially

I think I agree with rowech more than you. Especially since stuff from the other timeline led to this, and the old Spock was part of that transition.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #139
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

That's a bit melodramatic. You still got to enjoy all the others. It's not like someone is coming to your house and confiscating your DVD collection of Star Trek stuff.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #140
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

Could not disagree more.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #141
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

it's just a cop-out to me i guess
Old 05-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #142
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm fine with them doing what they could to reach out to a broader audience, even at the expense of hard core fans. After a while, it can be hard to separate canon from fan fic and leaving a lot of fans in the cold in terms of not being able to really keep up with the stories.

That said, I'd much rather see them evolve the story line a bit and not spend a lot of time with the Enterprise, because they're eventually going to get into trouble with all of the mucking with the timeline they've done.

And I wasn't really a fan of future Spock showing up as he did. But I can see how it unified things for the unintiated.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-09-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #143
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I don't have any interest in Star Trek (at least not since the early movies) but after reading the wiki page, I was amazed at how bad the latter movies were. Sounds like they had to do something drastic or else this franchise would have existed solely for hard-core nostalgia.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 05-09-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #144
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

BA Review: Star Trek | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine
Old 05-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #145
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Roger Ebert, gave the film 2.5/4 stars and said, "The Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action."[156]

I guess that's my complaint. It's not about ideals or philosophy anymore. It's just like any other action-movie franchise...heavy on style and light on substance.

I can understand the "need" for the time travel reboot, particularly after reading this interview INTERVIEW: Star Trek Writers Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci | TrekMovie.com and seeing that it was well thought-out, but that doesn't mean I have to embrace it.

I have to say I did very much enjoy the special effects and the visual style (with the exception of the engine room)

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-09-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hmmm (from another board)

Quote:
This is not a prequel. Characters are those from TOS, but they are for about 15 minutes into the movie, probably less. It appeared clear from the very beginning that noone was trying to give us neither a prequel nor a different point of view on something that had already been done. This is not how Abrams would like you to see Star Trek (the Universe), but how he saw it.

It's a different Universe, a different timeline, with characters that started with same names (and thus known histories) but that will now (eventually, and I frankly hope so) develop in a completly different way. He opened a new door, but what is important, he didn't close the old one.
That "original" universe is still there for us to cheris and eventually to play with. It was in the hands and minds of the fans even before this movie, with no "official" product being produced, and it is still exactly there.

Quote:

At that point, the movie is on such a wildly different timeline that I think it requires a much higher burden of entertainment than what I required from the earlier movies. Beyond being set in an alternate, unfamiliar universe, the story is just kinda stupid. The timetravel is arbitrary. Nero is a seething, 1-dimensional villain that makes me long for the complexity & gravitas of Shinzon. There are major logic leaps, like Kirk going from suspended stowaway to acting first officer in the space of a few minutes, or Scotty going from hitchhiker (who abandoned his post) to chief engineer in about the same time. And why was Kirk marooned on an ice planet rather than just put in the brig?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-09-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #147
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Heck, it even got a nice round of applause here when the credits rolled.

Completely unrelated, but unless you're at a premier or a screening where the actors are there, this is one of my biggest pet peeves of movie-going. Who the f are you clapping for, the film guy for not screwing up hitting play?!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #148
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Completely unrelated, but unless you're at a premier or a screening where the actors are there, this is one of my biggest pet peeves of movie-going. Who the f are you clapping for, the film guy for not screwing up hitting play?!

/tk

Have you ever clapped at a sporting event on TV? If so, are you clapping that the cable/satellite company didn't screw up your connection. I understand why people clap at the end of the movie (BTW I am not one of them).

On topic - I am not a Trekie fan at all and I loved the movie. I do understand die-hards would take offense of the "cop out" of the time travel but I loved it. Reminded me a little of what is happening on Lost

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 05-09-2009 at 06:31 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #149
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Have you ever clapped at a sporting event on TV? If so, are you clapping that the cable/satellite company didn't screw up your connection. I understand why people clap at the end of the movie (BTW I am not one of them).

who claps at sporting events on tv too?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #150
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
who claps at sporting events on tv too?

When you're a Browns and Indians fan - you really don't have the opportunity lately

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote