Signed,
Pistons Fan

I second that.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #103
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Wow

Its amazing what they did to Nash at end of regulation and again at end of overtime.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #104
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Kwame (rhymes with lame)

No it doesn't.. lol

But the ending in the 4th qtr, capped off by the ending in OT, made LA/PHX Game 4 the most exciting game yet.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #105
Franklinnoble
Banned

Kings even up the series against the Spurs, and have really played three very good games since getting blown out in the opener. If they can steal one on the road on Tuesday, San Antonio is in big trouble...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #106
MrBug708
Head Coach

That would be a trip, albeit unlikely one, if the Kings win. The top three seeds in the west would likely be out
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #107
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Kenyon Martin suspended for the rest of the playoff series? Well...he's outta there
Old 05-01-2006, 02:35 AM   #108
MrBug708
Head Coach

He was going for a handful of nuts
Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #109
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
That would be a trip, albeit unlikely one, if the Kings win. The top three seeds in the west would likely be out

It's not terribly unlikely. All the lower seeds were really playing much better basketball late in the season. The Kings have been an entirely different team since the Artest trade, and Bonzi Wells got healthy.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #110
digamma
Torchbearer

I'll start by saying that Nash broke a cardinal basketball rule by dribbling to the corner of the court, setting himself up to be trapped, but does any other superstar in the league not get a foul call there (end of overtime)? Kobe does. LeBron does. Jordan would have. Bird would have.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #111
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno, LeBron isn't really getting the calls like he was during the regular season. Something like 6 offensive fouls in the last 2 games I've watched. These Wiz guys are pretty good at flopping when it is questionable.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #112
Fouts
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
I'll start by saying that Nash broke a cardinal basketball rule by dribbling to the corner of the court, setting himself up to be trapped, but does any other superstar in the league not get a foul call there (end of overtime)? Kobe does. LeBron does. Jordan would have. Bird would have.

I was shocked they didn't get a timeout called by anyone. I know Nash tried, but I guess the ref missed it. What about the other Suns?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #113
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kobe had something like 4 fouls in 9 minutes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #114
Fouts
College Starter

Just saw Nash's comments about the game. He attributed the loss to bad luck. If Lakers take the series, they face the Clippers-Nuggets winners?
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #115
MrBug708
Head Coach

I believe so. The second round goes 2/3 vs 1/4
Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #116
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
I was shocked they didn't get a timeout called by anyone. I know Nash tried, but I guess the ref missed it. What about the other Suns?
Actually, in the press conference afterwards, Nash said he did not call a timeout although he said he thought one of his teammates did.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #117
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

LA Clippers vs. LA Lakers

It should make for an intersting series if both teams close out their respective games.

What's the ratio of Laker fans to Clipper fans that are going to attend the games? (which will all be held in Staples)
Old 05-01-2006, 06:29 PM   #118
MrBug708
Head Coach

3-1 and that's at the CLippers home game
Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #119
miami_fan
Coordinator

Congrats to the Mavs for moving on to the next round. The only upper seed to do what they are supposed to do. Kick the low seeds' ass
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #120
JeeberD
General Manager

Easiest. Series. Ever. (for the Mavs)

Come on Kings and Spurs, beat the hell out of each other!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #121
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Time to bring up the same joke I made in the NHL playoff thread, except I'm talking about my own favorite team this time:

Just like when they were in Vancouver, the Grizzlies stop playing after 82 games.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #122
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Time to bring up the same joke I made in the NHL playoff thread, except I'm talking about my own favorite team this time:

Just like when they were in Vancouver, the Grizzlies stop playing after 82 games.

Yeah, i'm kind of dissapointed. I expected more out of the Griz as well.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #123
jbmagic
Pro Starter

If Lakers can take care of business tonight, I really think they can beat the Clippers.

I am hoping the Mavs make the western conference final. The Lakers match up well versus them.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:37 AM   #124
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Just another example of the extremely poor officiating in this series. I don't see how either ref missed Walton's foot (a good 5-6 inches out of bounds) on the tie up:

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:02 AM   #125
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I really hate the Lakers white unis, bring back the yellow of the glory days.

Plus, what the heck is wrong with the Grizzlies in the playoffs. Granted, they have faced a juggernaut each year, but dang guys, win a game!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #126
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles
Just another example of the extremely poor officiating in this series. I don't see how either ref missed Walton's foot (a good 5-6 inches out of bounds) on the tie up:
Where were you after game 1. About 2 minutes to go in the game and the Lakers can cut it 2. Kobe gets clanked on the head by Tim Thomas producing a very noticable knot on his head. What does Tim Thomas have to say about it....

PHOENIX (AP) -- Tim Thomas admits he got away with whacking Kobe Bryant in the head at a critical point in Game 1 of the first-round playoff series between the Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers.

It was that kind of day for Thomas, whose season has gone from banishment from Chicago to a starting spot with the Pacific Division champion Suns.

Thomas made his first eight shots -- and finished 8-of-10 -- for 22 points and grabbed a career playoff best 15 rebounds in the Suns' 107-102 victory over the Lakers on Sunday. He also acknowledged responsibility for the knot on Bryant's head.

"I definitely fouled him," Thomas said Monday. "I got away with one but I didn't do it intentionally. It wasn't like I threw a jab at him."

So please, let's stop with pointing out one side of the officiating.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #127
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
I am hoping the Mavs make the western conference final. The Lakers match up well versus them.

They do, Kobe seriously has their number. But watching the Mavs play lately they are looking like a team on a mission. They're making tons of crisp passes to find the open man, they're hustling and diving for loose balls, and they're playing tough defense. I really think they have a good shot at taking the whole thing.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #128
larrymcg421
Head Coach

On the tie up, Walton's foot does go out of bounds, but it goes immediately in bounds and the whistle is blown while it is in bounds. I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but that picture doesn't really tell the whole story.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #129
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Where were you after game 1. About 2 minutes to go in the game and the Lakers can cut it 2. Kobe gets clanked on the head by Tim Thomas producing a very noticable knot on his head. What does Tim Thomas have to say about it....

PHOENIX (AP) -- Tim Thomas admits he got away with whacking Kobe Bryant in the head at a critical point in Game 1 of the first-round playoff series between the Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers.

It was that kind of day for Thomas, whose season has gone from banishment from Chicago to a starting spot with the Pacific Division champion Suns.

Thomas made his first eight shots -- and finished 8-of-10 -- for 22 points and grabbed a career playoff best 15 rebounds in the Suns' 107-102 victory over the Lakers on Sunday. He also acknowledged responsibility for the knot on Bryant's head.

"I definitely fouled him," Thomas said Monday. "I got away with one but I didn't do it intentionally. It wasn't like I threw a jab at him."

So please, let's stop with pointing out one side of the officiating.
Where did I say it was one-sided? I just said it's been very poor. I think the Suns have been hurt more (esp late in game 4), but they've gone against the Lakers at times too.

The Lakers deserve to be up in the series, but the officiating has been a major disappointment. If Joey Crawford does another game in the this series, it will be unwatchable. Whistles every 5 seconds, no game flow - just ugly.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #130
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Let's go Lakeshow.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:10 PM   #131
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Hopefully the Bulls can ride their momentum and take one down in Miami today.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:20 PM   #132
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
Plus, what the heck is wrong with the Grizzlies in the playoffs. Granted, they have faced a juggernaut each year, but dang guys, win a game!
Yeah, I'm with you. I have never expected the Grizzlies to win a playoff series, but being unable to win a playoff game is pathetic. They went from being a doormat in Vancouver to becoming a pretty good team over the past three years in Memphis. The playoffs just turn them back into their old Vancouver selves.

Maybe I should find video of their 10 playoff games just to make sure that Bryant Reeves and Pete "Chili Pete" Chilcutt didn't somehow re-materialize in Grizzlies uniforms when the playoffs started. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #133
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm with you. I have never expected the Grizzlies to win a playoff series, but being unable to win a playoff game is pathetic. They went from being a doormat in Vancouver to becoming a pretty good team over the past three years in Memphis. The playoffs just turn them back into their old Vancouver selves.

Maybe I should find video of their 10 playoff games just to make sure that Bryant Reeves and Pete "Chili Pete" Chilcutt didn't somehow re-materialize in Grizzlies uniforms when the playoffs started. This is getting ridiculous.

There aren't nearly enough references to Pete Chilcutt here at FOFC. Not by a long shot.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #134
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog
There aren't nearly enough references to Pete Chilcutt here at FOFC. Not by a long shot.
I aim to please.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #135
wade moore
lolzcat

Wholy crap.

Did anyone else see Bell absolutely clothesline Kobe?!

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:06 AM   #136
cmp
Pro Rookie

Bell better be suspended.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #137
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold101
Bell better be suspended.

Totally agreed. Completely blatant and uncalled for.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:35 AM   #138
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I aim to please.

Heh. Pete Chilcutt. I remember Theodore "Blue" Edwards... and that's it from that expansion team.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:38 AM   #139
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Not just a clothesline. A clothesline, a grab and a throwdown to the floor. Wow.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 AM   #140
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles

The whistle had already been blown at that point...so what difference does it make?
Old 05-03-2006, 04:01 AM   #141
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dola, Raja Bell probably has the lowest basketball IQ, maybe even below Darius Miles. His team is cruising for the most part and might have momentum going into Los Angeles so he decides to piss of the best player in the league by clotheslining him? Whose going to guard Kobe next game? Steve Nash? Shawn Marion?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #142
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Wow. A Pete Coldcuts reference. Another player who got into the NBA on the basis of playing at UNC (see Eric Montross, Joe Wolf, Kevin Salvadori, etc).

Last edited by Wolfpack : 05-03-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #143
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Bryant Reeves

There's Country.

And then there's Big Country.

You can't teach height--but you can sign it to an ill-advised $65 million extension.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-03-2006 at 01:59 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #144
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Friggin' Otis Thorpe.

Imagine if you had an inside outside combo of Gasol and Wade or Melo. Stu Jackson is horrible.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 PM   #145
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bibby for White Chocolate wasn't too smart either...Hell, the Grizz transaction list pre-Logo is absurd. Francis nightmare, etc.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #146
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The whistle had already been blown at that point...so what difference does it make?
If the whistle had been blown, why were the refs looking so intently at the play while crouching? Also, when the whistle blew, Boris Diaw was right next to the ref calling timeout. In this image, Boris isn't even in the picture yet which means it was well before the whistle blew. At any rate, the game's over and history now.

As to the Bell issue, he should be suspended. We'll see what happens in game 6, but I think the Suns could win this game without Bell. First, Kobe's going to want to one-up Phoenix and figure he can abuse Barbosa or James Jones (combo guarding him). Barbs is pretty quick though, so it will probably mean a lot of Kobe jumpshots. Which, IMO, works right into Phoenix's plans for transition. Plus, how are guys like Smush, Walton, Kwame and Sasha going to handle all the pressure coming with this game. If they lose game 6 at home (with Phoenix missing Bell), the LA media will kill them. You have to wonder how loose this team will be in this game.

But, we'll see. It will be a tough game - no doubt about that.

Last edited by Arles : 05-03-2006 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #147
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Boris Diaw is one of my favorite players in the league to watch. I think he's better than Joe Johnson, even before you factor in 2 #1 picks.

Last edited by stevew : 05-03-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #148
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Dola, Raja Bell probably has the lowest basketball IQ, maybe even below Darius Miles. His team is cruising for the most part and might have momentum going into Los Angeles so he decides to piss of the best player in the league by clotheslining him? Whose going to guard Kobe next game? Steve Nash? Shawn Marion?

Not only that, did you see how PROUD he was that he did it?

idiot.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #149
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Bibby for White Chocolate wasn't too smart either...Hell, the Grizz transaction list pre-Logo is absurd. Francis nightmare, etc.
Things have been pretty bad for the Grizzlies, but they're turning it around (in the regular season, anyway). When Hubie Brown joined the team, he really made Jason Williams into a textbook point guard. Could he help take over a game like Bibby? No, but Williams didn't turn the ball over, and he really reeled in those crazy passes and didn't complain. I don't think they lost much by having Williams at point guard instead of Bibby.

With that said, now that Williams is gone, the Grizzlies need a point guard again. Chucky Atkins was decent, but when he's your best PG, something's wrong. Damon Stoudamire only played a third of the season, and Bobby Jackson was just horrible when asked to play the point. Not counting Stoudamire's mini-season, Pau Gasol led the team in assists.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that Jerry West has just lost his mind over the past two or three years. Lorenzen Wright is an average center, but he made $7.7 million this year. Brian Cardinal still has four years left on his unfathomable contract at an average of just over $6 million per year. Eddie Jones is still a pretty good player, but he's scheduled to make $15.6 million next year, which is just too much for him. Can we get a point guard down there? Please? The only credit I can give Jerry West is that he let Stromile Swift leave, and a 6-year-old would have enough basketball savvy to make that move.

After analyzing the team this way, I almost want Pete Chilcutt back.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #150
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Actually the Williams trade made a ton of sense. Williams was a malcontent and for his performance had a terrible contract. They got all the malcontents out of town, and brought in Jones whose contract will expire after next year and then they'll have the money to bring in some big name free agents.

Lorenzen Wright will be allowed to walk after this year, but who they are going to replace him with I don't know.

Also, their record before Stoudamire went down was 26-10 I believe. After he went down, they went into a free fall. They really missed his leadership and he could create his own shot and was not afraid to take one at the end of games. Once he went down, they were a .500 team.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote