Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #101
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Wild stuff...seems like they're copying off of Nintendo's motion sensors...also M$'s trigger button, the Xbox "Ring of Light" button on the controller and the whole Xbox Live Marketplace thing.

I bet Sony still ends up #1, but the $500 price tag is wild stuff...for the cheaper model! Hopefully I can resist the urge to get it, cuz that's a lotta $$$.

Can't wait til Nintendo's and M$'s conferences tomorrow!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #102
wade moore
lolzcat

Sony just pushes me closer and closer to M$...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #103
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just got back from the press event.

Some wild stuff. I'll have impressions going up on Gamenikki tonight.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #104
stevew
Hall Of Famer

100 bucks extra for just having a larger hard drive seems silly. Unless it works like a TIVO or something.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:44 AM   #105
SackAttack
Head Coach

Early impressions are up.

And good God, as early as I have to be up to get to the Nintendo press conference, I had no intention of writing seven pages. Jesus.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 AM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
100 bucks extra for just having a larger hard drive seems silly. Unless it works like a TIVO or something.

FYI.....the hard drive is not the only difference between the two units. There's actually a lot of differences.....

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150521
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:19 AM   #107
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack

And good God, as early as I have to be up to get to the Nintendo press conference, I had no intention of writing seven pages. Jesus.

It appears that the gamenikki site is a mess. Even the basic site gets mySQL errors all over the place.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Gamenikki's having issues this morning. Our web guy has called the server guy and they're trying to get things sorted out.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 AM   #109
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Anyone else personally not affected by the slight rise in price (another site had said 399 and 499 a couple of weeks ago)? I would say that the $499 system is an absolute farce because, much like the core Xbox 360 system, it's missing a lot of things that the gamers will really want to have if they're going to buy a system. The fact that the PS3 has a Blu-ray player in it makes it a no-brainer buy for me. A stand-alone Blu-Ray player on Amazon right now is $900-1,000. You can get the gaming system and a Blu-Ray player for $600.

I would say that a recent article on the general gaming population might have a lot to do with what Sony is doing here. Research indicated that the average gamer is now 31 years of age and that 4 in 10 adults play games at least 3 times a week. It's pretty obvious that Sony is targeting the older gamer who likes to buy the tech toys (HD TV's, Surround sound systems, HD DVD equipment, etc.). It may scare off some of the younger players that are a bit more price conscious, but I think that Sony is generally making a good decision for long-term success. For those that can't handle the initial price point, there will obviously be a drop in the near future where they can then grab a PS3 of their own.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:05 AM   #110
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
Anyone else personally not affected by the slight rise in price (another site had said 399 and 499 a couple of weeks ago)? I would say that the $499 system is an absolute farce because, much like the core Xbox 360 system, it's missing a lot of things that the gamers will really want to have if they're going to buy a system. The fact that the PS3 has a Blu-ray player in it makes it a no-brainer buy for me. A stand-alone Blu-Ray player on Amazon right now is $900-1,000. You can get the gaming system and a Blu-Ray player for $600.

I would say that a recent article on the general gaming population might have a lot to do with what Sony is doing here. Research indicated that the average gamer is now 31 years of age and that 4 in 10 adults play games at least 3 times a week. It's pretty obvious that Sony is targeting the older gamer who likes to buy the tech toys (HD TV's, Surround sound systems, HD DVD equipment, etc.). It may scare off some of the younger players that are a bit more price conscious, but I think that Sony is generally making a good decision for long-term success. For those that can't handle the initial price point, there will obviously be a drop in the near future where they can then grab a PS3 of their own.

This whole.. "it's cheaper than a normal blu-ray sytem" argument doesn't float with me... Because what do I care? I'm not buying a Blu-Ray unit while it costs that much anyways...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #111
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
This whole.. "it's cheaper than a normal blu-ray sytem" argument doesn't float with me... Because what do I care? I'm not buying a Blu-Ray unit while it costs that much anyways...

Yep. Same here. And it's not like you're going to have many Blu-Ray movies to choose from any time soon.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:33 AM   #112
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore

exactly. they assume that my wanting a Blu Ray device would play a factor in purchasing a next gen system, which in relaity it plays absolutely no factor at all. i don't even own a HDTV, why would i consider purchasing a standalone $900 device? i'd rather spend an extra $1K on getting that much of a bigger high end tv than to get a blu ray device. i'll wait until the chinese can make them for $200.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #113
TroyF
Coordinator

As I said earlier, they are going ot need to come up with something special now. They need their early gen games to come out smoking. Top tier games are going to have to sell this system.

The 360 had a few nice release titles. They were varied and even though there wasn't a system seller among them, they had some nice stuff. The PS3 isn't going to be afforded the same luxury IMHO. They are going to need a couple of system selling type releases from day one, or like eaglesfan27, people are going to wait for a price drop.

Even if I wanted to get the system on day one this time, I'm not sure how I'd pull it off. With at least one holiday trip planned, Christmas gifts to buy and a house payment by that time (I'm looking now), I see no way I'm going to have a grand to blow by the time I get done with the system, some extras for it and a couple of games.

This is looking like next February at the earliest for me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #114
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
exactly. they assume that my wanting a Blu Ray device would play a factor in purchasing a next gen system, which in relaity it plays absolutely no factor at all. i don't even own a HDTV, why would i consider purchasing a standalone $900 device? i'd rather spend an extra $1K on getting that much of a bigger high end tv than to get a blu ray device. i'll wait until the chinese can make them for $200.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

I'm curious to see how this marketing scheme goes, but I don't think I'll get a 360 until the price comes down, let alone the PS3 at this price...

And I have traditionally been a purchaser of my "system of choice" (in the past nintendo) near release...

Quote:
Old 05-09-2006, 08:39 AM   #115
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Just wait for a multiplayer dvd that plays all formats HDdvd and blu-ray. I am sure someone will make those too.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 AM   #116
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ouch. here's some reaction to the PS3 unveiling..

Jetlag means I'm not entirely sure what day it is, but what was Sony's excuse? Today's conference was a muddled mess that essentially confirmed widespread rumours of a problematic PS3 launch build-up. The games shown were of varying quality, with perhaps only Heavenly Sword really showing the undoubted potential of the PS3 ... Sadly, on today's evidence, 360 owners shouldn't worry about missing out, as the PS3's visuals seem broadly similar to their machine. Impressive then, but not the leap we had truly hoped for.

and

"This just made Microsoft's $299 Core Pack look like a genius idea. At least it's possible to upgrade an Xbox Core. I don't know what kind of arcane magick will have to be executed to give a crippled PS3 actual functionality."
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #117
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Yep. Same here. And it's not like you're going to have many Blu-Ray movies to choose from any time soon.

Exactly. If I thought there were many Blu-Ray Movies coming out that I actually want, I'd be more tempted to buy the PS3. However, I realize that the movies are going to be limited for a significant amount of time.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #118
spleen1015
Coordinator

Hopefully I'll be able to get it at launch.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #119
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:

Very nice write up Sack. Did they spend any time talking about either the linux operating system that is supposedly going to come preinstalled or things like video editing? They seemed to be pushing things like that in previous press releases and interviews so I'm curious if they have just decided to go back to basics and push how great the game system will be.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that 499 dollar system sounds stupid.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

At first, I thought I was a shoe-in for the ps3, now the 360 does look much better (price wise). I'm going to wait on either of them as I'm really not in the market for one as it stands now.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #122
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
It appears that the gamenikki site is a mess. Even the basic site gets mySQL errors all over the place.

Nice article, Josh. Hope you're having a good time out there.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #123
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think I may wait for an Xbox 360 price drop. And $600 is a lot to cough up for a system. I may have to not be a 1st wave adopter this time around...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:54 PM   #124
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's a good article, Josh, now that it's not all MySQL gobbedly gook. Have fun playing with your Wii.
Old 05-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #125
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Today's (5/9/06) Little Gamers had a nice take on the price...and the logo...

http://www.little-gamers.com/

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #126
General Mike
Pro Starter

I wasn't gonna buy one at launch anyway, so none of this news really affects me. I will still long term buy a PS3 over an XBox 360, but not til there is a real killer app.

Sony is genius tho. They will sell as many systems as they put out at launch, and then for the next 6 months at any price point they want.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #127
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I wasn't gonna buy one at launch anyway, so none of this news really affects me. I will still long term buy a PS3 over an XBox 360, but not til there is a real killer app.

Sony is genius tho. They will sell as many systems as they put out at launch, and then for the next 6 months at any price point they want.

16 months ago I would have agreed with you 100%. Sony had a dominating edge long term over Microsoft. They had a bigger foothold in the market and the people who were only going to buy one next gen console would certainly wait for the PS3. It was a no brainer.

Now I wouldn't call Sony brilliant at all. They have a 500 dollar system that's crippled. The 600 dollar system has some nice features, but the price point is over the top. We are talking 200 bucks over an Xbox360.

And here is the thing. I've met very few Xbox360 owners who don't like the system. I love how LIVE works. I love the controller (the best controller I've ever played a game with, hands down) By the time Sony releases their system, the 360 is going to be fully in with it's second or third wave of games.

I went from being a guy who would buy both consoles without a second thought to being really on the fence with the PS3. When we start looking at about a grand to purchase the system (an extra controller, online fees, a couple of games, another accessory or two), I have to seriously think about what I'm doing.

As of now, I'm thinking I'ld be better off doing a PC upgrade at that time. I've seen nothing at this point to think the PS3 will be better than the 360 in anything other than Blu-Ray, which is not a big selling point for me.

I'll wait for the PS3 until spring at the earliest, maybe further down the road. I think Sony made a MAJOR miscalculation here and that Microsoft will take over #1 in the console market.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #128
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

It'll sell everyone they produce for atleast a good 4-5 months - people were paying 1-2 grand for Xbox360's early on, so I doubt they're going to finch at a couple hundred more dollars.

Anyone who is cautious over the price just frees up another spot for someone else to grab one, that's about all. And it has nothing to do with how great the system is, it's just how people make purchases.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #129
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
It'll sell everyone they produce for atleast a good 4-5 months - people were paying 1-2 grand for Xbox360's early on, so I doubt they're going to finch at a couple hundred more dollars.

Anyone who is cautious over the price just frees up another spot for someone else to grab one, that's about all. And it has nothing to do with how great the system is, it's just how people make purchases.

Yep. If they can sell a million units at $500 a pop before they have to cut prices they are in good shape. It's not like there will be a killer app out for a year.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #130
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So at 600 bucks for pre-order, I think I may try to get one just to re-sell.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #131
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
16 months ago I would have agreed with you 100%. Sony had a dominating edge long term over Microsoft. They had a bigger foothold in the market and the people who were only going to buy one next gen console would certainly wait for the PS3. It was a no brainer.

Now I wouldn't call Sony brilliant at all. They have a 500 dollar system that's crippled. The 600 dollar system has some nice features, but the price point is over the top. We are talking 200 bucks over an Xbox360.

And here is the thing. I've met very few Xbox360 owners who don't like the system. I love how LIVE works. I love the controller (the best controller I've ever played a game with, hands down) By the time Sony releases their system, the 360 is going to be fully in with it's second or third wave of games.

I went from being a guy who would buy both consoles without a second thought to being really on the fence with the PS3. When we start looking at about a grand to purchase the system (an extra controller, online fees, a couple of games, another accessory or two), I have to seriously think about what I'm doing.

As of now, I'm thinking I'ld be better off doing a PC upgrade at that time. I've seen nothing at this point to think the PS3 will be better than the 360 in anything other than Blu-Ray, which is not a big selling point for me.

I'll wait for the PS3 until spring at the earliest, maybe further down the road. I think Sony made a MAJOR miscalculation here and that Microsoft will take over #1 in the console market.

I agree with all of this. A year ago, I thought I would get both systems at launch. Not anymore.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #132
WVUFAN
College Starter

To me, I stay away from XBox/XBox 360 because it seems like a majority of the games are FPS (which I LOATHE on consoles), whereas the PS2/PS3 appeals to more the fantasy/typical RPG fan. So, I'll be picking up the PS3 when it comes out -- the Blu-Ray allows for more room to put in content than the 360, and the games for the PS3 appeal more to me.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #133
SackAttack
Head Coach

Thanks for the kind words from all who read my opus magnus.

I'm working on impressions of the Nintendo and Microsoft conferences as we speak.

I'm not sure precisely how I feel about each company's performance, other than Nintendo just absolutely knocking my socks off.

I think Sony needs a strong Wed-Fri showing to make up for their Monday blunder, though.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 AM   #134
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:

Yes, I am always impressed by Gamenikki's content and above-average to excellent writing. That Shaeffer guy needed to get his ass out to Cali for E3 though.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:03 AM   #135
ShaefIllini
Mascot

dola:

The Sony pricing scheme is ridiculous. I thought 500 was the absolute MAX they could come out at, and then they offer a half-ass version of the PS3 at that price point. It sounds like Nintendo and Microsoft really showed something, while Sony spent most of its time making fun of the other two.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:30 AM   #136
Vince
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm working on impressions of the Nintendo and Microsoft conferences as we speak.

I'm not sure precisely how I feel about each company's performance, other than Nintendo just absolutely knocking my socks off.

I think Sony needs a strong Wed-Fri showing to make up for their Monday blunder, though.

Reading through your piece, the first few pages I'm reading it like "Jeez, Sony sounds like they've completely shot themselves in the foot with this one." The Price point might have done that by itself, but the features they are cutting out, the complete copy job on TONS of features seemed to be really killing it.

Then I started to think about it, though, and if they can nail the release, and have all the things they are including working WELL, that it might be a pretty well-done job.

Then I start to think about how much it's going to cost again, and I shudder.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:57 AM   #137
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Reading through your piece, the first few pages I'm reading it like "Jeez, Sony sounds like they've completely shot themselves in the foot with this one." The Price point might have done that by itself, but the features they are cutting out, the complete copy job on TONS of features seemed to be really killing it.

Then I started to think about it, though, and if they can nail the release, and have all the things they are including working WELL, that it might be a pretty well-done job.

Then I start to think about how much it's going to cost again, and I shudder.

I think you really had to be there to see how it felt. Yeah, Sony is copying several features, but there was a palpable buzz in the building by the time they were ready to announce a price. When it displayed on the screen before they announced it, there was...not a gasp, exactly, although I've heard people refer to it that way.

It was more of a collective "ewww" kind of shudder. The air just went out of the place. Totally deflated. Having messed with a few of the games, I'm liking how Sonic looks, but that's not a PS3 thing - that's a "Sega getting back to what made the franchise popular" thing.

I think SingStar is a cult hit in waiting...but I can't imagine ANYBODY spending $5-600 to take a flyer on that game. If Sony announces the PS3 at $300, the competition is dead in the water. Just, momentum gone. Even at $400, it's still a strong showing.

At $500 for a version that's not only stripped down, but has no ability to reacquire the lost functionality after POS (the 360 at least can add the hard drive and component video cables at any time)...Sony just dug themselves a hole on that one.

They need a strong showing the rest of the week to convince people that the price is worth it. Just calling it a "cheap Blu-Ray player" and beating the "It's PlayStation!" monkey drum isn't going to be enough to build the kind of momentum they need to stay on top.

There will still be people who want it so badly they'll pay the price, but I can't imagine anybody paying an eBay premium over $600 for the sake of having this console at Christmas.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #138
SackAttack
Head Coach

http://www.gamenikki.com/g3/features/Josh.php?id=5

There's Nintendo's. A REALLY rough day means Microsoft's will be late, possibly post-show. Mea culpa.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:57 AM   #139
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't see the price making much difference. The XBOX 360 was selling for tons more than that on Ebay and all the retail stores went with those overpriced bundle packs and people sucked them up so fast Microsoft couldn't keep up. What will determine the success or failure of the PS3 is the quality of the games IMO.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #140
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I don't see the price making much difference. The XBOX 360 was selling for tons more than that on Ebay and all the retail stores went with those overpriced bundle packs and people sucked them up so fast Microsoft couldn't keep up. What will determine the success or failure of the PS3 is the quality of the games IMO.

Agreed. Thousands of Xbox 360 were flying off e-Bay for a 600-700 premium. In the end, if PS3 has some good launch games, it will sell just fine.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #141
gstelmack
Pro Starter

You're talking the hardcore folks. Which console do you think the average parent will be buying their kid for Christmas with the PS3 launch price where it is and a rumored 360 price drop that would make the 360 HALF the price of a PS3?
Old 05-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #142
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
You're talking the hardcore folks. Which console do you think the average parent will be buying their kid for Christmas with the PS3 launch price where it is and a rumored 360 price drop that would make the 360 HALF the price of a PS3?

Whichever one the kid tells them to buy. It's the parents that were buying the XBOX 360s on Ebay for $1500, not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers pre-order.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #143
Cuckoo
College Starter

There have been several people in this thread that have said the pricing does affect their decision. It certainly affects mine as well. I'm not sure I can believe it won't make a pretty large difference for Sony.

That said, Sony isn't run by idiots. I'm sure they know what they're doing, and they likely project that any losses they suffer from folks like me will be more than offset by the higher price and the eventual gain in market share for Blu-Ray.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #144
Celeval
Pro Starter

We (I) had been planning on trying to replace our PS2 with a PS3 in the early half of next year, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to convince my wife to spend $350-400 on a system. That means either XBox2 or a number of price drops on the PS3 before it hits our house.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #145
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Whichever one the kid tells them to buy. It's the parents that were buying the XBOX 360s on Ebay for $1500, not hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers pre-order.
I would consider myself both a parent and a hardcore gamer. I did not pre-order and I don't buy whatever my kids tell me to buy. When it comes down to it, it's my money not my kids'.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:47 AM   #146
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
There have been several people in this thread that have said the pricing does affect their decision. It certainly affects mine as well. I'm not sure I can believe it won't make a pretty large difference for Sony.

That said, Sony isn't run by idiots. I'm sure they know what they're doing, and they likely project that any losses they suffer from folks like me will be more than offset by the higher price and the eventual gain in market share for Blu-Ray.

There's definitely going to be people that balk at the price and they probably won't be early adopters of the system, but from what I've seen with the XBOX 360 I think there's enough demand to carry sales of the PS3 for a while. At some point there has to be a price drop and if there's high quality games available then those who passed at the higher price will pick one up. I just don't see an additional $200 being a major factor when there's plenty of people out there willing to spend whatever it takes to buy these things.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #147
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I would consider myself both a parent and a hardcore gamer. I did not pre-order and I don't buy whatever my kids tell me to buy. When it comes down to it, it's my money not my kids'.

umm..that's nice?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #148
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

My original plan was to buy on release if I could get one. This was expecting a price of $499 or less. I am not however going to take second best at that price.
I will now probably wait for the first price drop on the 60gb model. If it takes a year that's ok.

Of course there's always the possibility that I'll run across one sitting on a shelf next spring and won't be able to resist I'll have it home, set up, and playing with the kids before the wife knows what hit her And by kids I mean I have one in high scool and one that will have to come home from college for the weekend to play.

In all seriousness though PS3 was going to be an almost instant purchase. With this price I do think I'll be patient and see how the reviews come out comparing it to what the 360 can do. Something I really hadn't anticipated doing at all.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #149
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I just don't see an additional $200 being a major factor when there's plenty of people out there willing to spend whatever it takes to buy these things.

If the rumored 360 price drop comes through, you're talking $300, which would be DOUBLE the price. We're not talking small change here, we're talking a 360 at $300 vs a PS3 at $600 (or a crippled version at $500). You're not talking the $50 here or there that have plagued previous console wars, you're instead talking about being able to pick up a pair of 360s for the price of a single PS3. But even if the price drop doesn't come through, you're still talking about a 1/3 difference in price. That's significant. People paid more for the 360 on E-Bay because it was the only next-gen game in town. For the PS3 launch, they'll have a choice between paying $600 in a store (or $1000+ on E-Bay if they have supply problems like Microsoft did) for a PS3, or $300-$400 for a 360 that does pretty much the same stuff.

Sony is banking that people will pay more for their name and to get a Blu-Ray player. Time will tell if they are right. I think they may be in for a rude shock. Remember that the PS2 had to keep price pacing with the Xbox and use price cuts to maintain its market share lead, yet Microsoft still sold a fair number of boxes. Now Microsoft has been handed the price war on a platter.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #150
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

Just to be clear, kids are not the ones buying these systems for the most part. The average gamer age right now is 31. 4 in 10 adults play video games on a regular basis. There are kids that do play games, but for the most part, those kids are going to be playing the systems that their parents bought for the parent's use, not the kid's use.

There will be people who decide to buy other systems like Wii for their kids, but they wouldn't have bought PS3 if it would have come out at $400 either.