Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #101
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Don't worry about your dyansties guys - fire them up. Even if some bug is lurking out there if you really wanted to continue a dynasty that a patch would halt or something I would be happy to do my best to go into the code and edit what I can to keep it moving.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #102
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Don't worry about your dyansties guys - fire them up. Even if some bug is lurking out there if you really wanted to continue a dynasty that a patch would halt or something I would be happy to do my best to go into the code and edit what I can to keep it moving.
<3
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:32 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

... and so begins my Sacred Heart career..

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #104
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ewww....Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart=Worcester. YUK.

although our girls soccer team did win the state championship there my...junior year? senior year?
Old 01-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #105
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
ewww....Sacred Heart. Sacred Heart=Worcester. YUK.

although our girls soccer team did win the state championship there my...junior year? senior year?

Well, it was a low prestige team and my dad's church is Sacred Heart.

Funny, it's only been one game and the 2d display is so friggin involving. Really makes me like and dislike some of my players already!!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:02 PM   #106
Galaril
Pro Starter

Fairfield, Connecticut =sacred heart
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #107
Schmidty
Coordinator

So, is this worth spending the 35 bucks on? Is it close to FBCB?
Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #108
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
oh that's right. why am i thinking sacred heart=holy cross??

silly me
Old 01-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Excellent! I'm having a blast with my first real dynasty, and this is very good news.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #110
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty

demo
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #111
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes and yes.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #112
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
demo

I like those. I go to Costco all the time. I love it when Ethel busts out the artichoke dip.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:51 PM   #113
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Yes and yes.

Cool thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 12:27 PM   #114
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Is there no option to micromanage player training? I can't find it if there is...
Old 01-22-2006, 01:00 PM   #115
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril

For all intents and purposes, Sacred Heart is in Bridgeport. Some years back as Bridgeport deteriorated they 'moved' to Fairfield, with the campus staying in the exact same place.

I hate Dave Bike and Sacred Heart.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #116
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Is there no option to micromanage player training? I can't find it if there is...

No, there's not an option to do this - this was a design decison based on exactly how you worded your question. I did not want to get into gritty micromanagement. There's so much to do with year round recruiting and all of the "seasonal" issues that I wanted to keep that part of the game simple - I felt there was enough to worry about without having to set how many hours each player shoots free throws or goes to study hall or whatever.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:25 PM   #117
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
No, there's not an option to do this - this was a design decison based on exactly how you worded your question. I did not want to get into gritty micromanagement. There's so much to do with year round recruiting and all of the "seasonal" issues that I wanted to keep that part of the game simple - I felt there was enough to worry about without having to set how many hours each player shoots free throws or goes to study hall or whatever.
That's a real bummer. Doing this once or twice a year would add a lot, and wouldn't be a burden. It certainly isn't a burden in FBCB. For example, if I run a Princeton-style offense, I should be able to scale back on conditioning, and work on passing and ball-handling skills a ton. Or, if I want to go "40 Minutes Of Hell," I want to spend TONS of time on conditioning and training in athleticism and defense, and skimp on offense. I can understand such a decision for a football or baseball game, but for basketball, there are only 12-15 players to worry about. It isn't a deal-breaker, but it is a disappointment.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-22-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #118
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Man, I'm reading the recruiting thread on GD's forums, and that aspect of the game sounds waaay more tedious than fun. Can any confirm that? I tend to be a low-medium level details guy in sim games, as I prefer "the big picture". Recruiting should be fun, not work, and it really sounds like it's the latter in TCB.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #119
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
That's a real bummer. There are only 12 players, and doing this once or twice a year would add a lot. For example, if I run a Princeton-style offense, I should be able to scale back on conditioning, and work on passing and ball-handling skills a ton. Or, if I want to go "40 Minutes Of Hell," I want to spend TONS of time on conditioning and training in athleticism and defense, and skimp on offense. I can understand such a decision for a football or baseball game, but for basketball, there are only 12-15 players to worry about. It isn't a deal-breaker, but it is a disappointment.

Agree, not a deal breaker but I would like the option. Maybe in a patch or the next version?
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Man, I'm reading the recruiting thread on GD's forums, and that aspect of the game sounds waaay more tedious than fun. Can any confirm that? I tend to be a low-medium level details guy in sim games, as I prefer "the big picture". Recruiting should be fun, not work, and it really sounds like it's the latter in TCB.

I don't find it tedious, but I've just started. I've got 3 guys to sign LOI already, and I didn't spend hours and hours on recruiting. Once you set your watch list, I'm finding it is not too hard to decide who to invite for visits, who to go watch live, who to visit in their home, etc.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #121
ahbrady
High School JV

I have posted in the forum at Grey Dog, but I thought I would post here in case someone has seen or read a fix for my problem. I have finished my first season and have received an email about recruiting for the next year. However, I can't move past this stage. the arrows that can usually be used to advance stages aren't available, and when I go to the recruiting page, it tells me that I can't do that until June 26th. It is currently the 25th. Anyone know of anything to fix this?

EDIT - I forgot to add that this happened before the patch and is happening after installing the patch.

Last edited by ahbrady : 01-22-2006 at 02:50 PM.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #122
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
That's a real bummer. Doing this once or twice a year would add a lot, and wouldn't be a burden. It certainly isn't a burden in FBCB. For example, if I run a Princeton-style offense, I should be able to scale back on conditioning, and work on passing and ball-handling skills a ton. Or, if I want to go "40 Minutes Of Hell," I want to spend TONS of time on conditioning and training in athleticism and defense, and skimp on offense. I can understand such a decision for a football or baseball game, but for basketball, there are only 12-15 players to worry about. It isn't a deal-breaker, but it is a disappointment.

I guess the alternative is to recruit non-athletic types with increased skill rankings?
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #123
rexallllsc
Banned

As far as recriting being tedious - yes and no. It does take forever - and I think the biggest thing is that you go through so many weeks before you get going with the season. Realistic, but a bit draining sometimes.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
I have posted in the forum at Grey Dog, but I thought I would post here in case someone has seen or read a fix for my problem. I have finished my first season and have received an email about recruiting for the next year. However, I can't move past this stage. the arrows that can usually be used to advance stages aren't available, and when I go to the recruiting page, it tells me that I can't do that until June 26th. It is currently the 25th. Anyone know of anything to fix this?

EDIT - I forgot to add that this happened before the patch and is happening after installing the patch.

Have you picked what camps you are going to yet? I'm pretty sure you have to do that before you can advance.

You can pick that via the travel email that you are sent.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #125
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I've only gone through recruiting a few times, but it gets pretty repetitive. As a small school in the Northeast I just throw away the 10 ten or so recruits in the region and then just work backwards down the list. Throw 40 or so on the call and watch list. Then just invite them to campus from the top ranking to the bottom. Then you just go to visit and watch games for the ones that are interested and you get a few of them. There really isn't a lot of nuance or skill to it.

There is a huge difference between making yourself a 55 and making yourself a 65. At a small school it's pretty easy to overrecruit as a 65. I guess Stony Brook has a top 30 class coming in next year, so maybe Steve Pikell is a 65.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #126
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:

It's not tedious - its involved though but really it only requires a good deal of involvement during the off-season portion of the year - once you get into the season itself recruiting is pretty much at the point where you either have your guys, you're close to having them or alot of players are off the board and you're looking to pickup what is left.

Of course the best I can suggest is to pick up the demo - you get to play a full season and since you recruit year round you start right at the point where you prepare to begin recruiting so you'll know whether you like it or not before even having to sim out the season.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #127
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I've only gone through recruiting a few times, but it gets pretty repetitive. As a small school in the Northeast I just throw away the 10 ten or so recruits in the region and then just work backwards down the list. Throw 40 or so on the call and watch list. Then just invite them to campus from the top ranking to the bottom. Then you just go to visit and watch games for the ones that are interested and you get a few of them. There really isn't a lot of nuance or skill to it.

For a small school I'll admit there's less decision making than with a larger school in the game. Sometimes at the small schools you're pretty much just trying to get whoever the best guys are that will come to your school but at the larger schools where you have the ability to recruit around the whole country you do need to look at the recruits more carefully to find ones that fit your system since you have so many good players you can choose from.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #128
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

ugh.. just ran into the duplicate player bug again

Don't have time to check out all 300+ teams, but I can only imagine there are quite a few cases of this in my career. Bumber.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #129
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
ugh.. just ran into the duplicate player bug again

Don't have time to check out all 300+ teams, but I can only imagine there are quite a few cases of this in my career. Bumber.

Sov and I were talking about this the other day.. this might be a silly suggestion, but could it have to do with how often you call Randomize? On a fast computer, if you call randomize too often you'll get identical streams of random numbers.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #130
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Have you picked what camps you are going to yet? I'm pretty sure you have to do that before you can advance.

You can pick that via the travel email that you are sent.

Apparently I'm an idiot. I didn't see the travel schedule email. It wasn't bold, so I guess at some point I had read it. I didn't remember reading it though, so I didn't look down the list of emails. Thanks for helping out a moron.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #131
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No problem. It took me a bit to figure that one out too. That is why I thought of that immediately after reading about your problem.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #132
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I think the recruiting is quite fun and definitly non-tedious. I am only a 13 prestige school, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.

In fact, I was thinking I started off with too many good players, I have 2-3 10 rated outside shooters (1-10 scale) but they can't shoot inside so we'll see how they do as the season progresses.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #133
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

play 5-out and just jack-up a ton of 3's mizzou
Old 01-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #134
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is what I've resorted to with a few good outside shooters. However, I'm still getting crushed by good defenses that cover our relatively non-athletic players.

Edit: Don't forget to emphasize or really emphasize outside shooting if that is all you have going for your team.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-22-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #135
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've let my coaches handle the games so far and I've been quite happy with their performance. I'm definitly a 2nd half team. Next game is against Florida St., that game should tell me where I sit. It's really early in the season right now anyway.

I will say watching them in 2D is really immersive. I find myself yelling things such as, "drive to the basket Clark", "pop that 3 Vitelli", "he got mad game!","not in my house!!".
Old 01-22-2006, 11:17 PM   #136
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I will say watching them in 2D is really immersive. I find myself yelling things such as, "drive to the basket Clark", "pop that 3 Vitelli", "he got mad game!","not in my house!!".

Even when they get blown out? I can't handle that shit live.

By the way, have you ever played a game you didn't like?.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #137
Galaril
Pro Starter

well, in my first real dynasty my Boston University Terriers won their America East conference with a 24-6 record.We got an automatic bid as the West seed #10. We will be palying Indiana at (23-7) the #7. I am having a blast so far but expected to get my ass handed to me in the tournament.Fun.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #138
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Even when they get blown out? I can't handle that shit live.

By the way, have you ever played a game you didn't like?.

Not recently text sims wise. I think BBMogul was the last time I've wasted money on a game. I'm not big on FM, but since so many people loathe the game, I figure its me.

Haven't been blown out yet, but I'm sure I would sim the rest out when it happens.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hoping for some quick feedback:

One of my recruits has a 1.9 GPA in January and he only got an 810 on his SAT's (we require an 880.) Should I definitely back out of my committment to him? In other words, is there any chance he gets to retake the SAT's and improve on that score to become eligible?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #140
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Hoping for some quick feedback:

One of my recruits has a 1.9 GPA in January and he only got an 810 on his SAT's (we require an 880.) Should I definitely back out of my committment to him? In other words, is there any chance he gets to retake the SAT's and improve on that score to become eligible?

Dump him... he won't be eligible.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:20 PM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the quick feedback, Scott. Too bad, he looked like he was going to be one of our better defensive players.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #142
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

Quick follow-up. I can't seem to revoke his scholarship offer. I assume this is because he verbally committed to us? Is there anyway to revoke it that I'm missing or do I have to wait until he is officially declared ineligible.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #143
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

You should have gotten an email from your AD telling you that the scholarship was revoked automatically because of his SAT score
Old 01-23-2006, 09:23 PM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You should have gotten an email from your AD telling you that the scholarship was revoked automatically because of his SAT score

I haven't yet. It is Jan 30th in my career.

Edited to add: I can still go watch his games live if I want.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-23-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #145
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Hmm, if you don't mind zip up your league file and the folder that goes with it and email me - gary at greydogsoftware dot com

I'd like to see a) what happened with the notification and b) try to fix it so you can revoke his scholarship. Just make sure to include some info like who the player is, how many scholarships you should have available etc...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:46 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, if you don't mind zip up your league file and the folder that goes with it and email me - gary at greydogsoftware dot com

I'd like to see a) what happened with the notification and b) try to fix it so you can revoke his scholarship. Just make sure to include some info like who the player is, how many scholarships you should have available etc...

Sending it in a few minutes with the requested info. Thanks for looking into it.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #147
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Delayed Dola -

Not a game impression, but I just wanted to say that I'm very impressed with the customer support. Gary has fixed my problem and made it so I have the scholarship available in under 24 hours and enabled me to continue my dynasty. Thanks again, Gary.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:00 AM   #148
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I'm just gonna come out and ask..

Have you figured out anything out yet in regards to the player duplication bug, Gary? Not getting a lot of love from you on the issue.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #149
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

So I'm playing through Season 1 of my first serious dynasty, piloting the Maine Black Bears with their 17 prestige and a decent cast of lumberjacks and other characters. We have had an up and down run through the non-conference slate, and sat at 4-3 as we headed down to play Coastal Carolina. And then we headed into Bizarro World. First, the Chanticleers (that's Coastal Carolina for the uninitiated) dropped a 84-41 bomb on us. This wasn't UNC we were playing, for Pete's sake, but we sure played like it. We had something like 29 turnovers...they had TWO. Ugliest game I've seen played out thusfar in TCB.

Then we come back and play a tight road game against Utah Valley State. In the end, we lose that one by a single point as our point guard throws up a terrible shot despite coming out of a timeout WITH A DIFFERENT PLAN. Grrrr!

So then comes the wild part. We have Purdue on the schedule. Heh. After those two losses, I don't want to waste my time watching the 2-D destruction. I figure it'll be the college basketball equivalent of War of the Worlds, where the Boilermakers are the tripod thingies and we are...I dunno...dead.

So I quick sim, and we beat the living bejesus out of them, 105-83.

Okay then.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 PM   #150
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
I'm just gonna come out and ask..

Have you figured out anything out yet in regards to the player duplication bug, Gary? Not getting a lot of love from you on the issue.

I think so - the last couple tests I ran did not have any duplicates so I hope it will be resolved for patch 2 due this weekend