Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2003, 11:39 PM   #101
NevStar
High School Varsity

Training results

Last week, we had three players bump in playmaking. Are we as lucky this week? NO! No playmaking increases. This is expected, although we're expecting a bump from starting midfielder Theodore Vega soon.

6 increases in form (3 starters, Ethan Miller +2)
4 decreases in form (2 starters)

12 increases in value (highest Gabriel Ribelles $118,000 (+$10,000))
8 decreases in value (lowest Theodore Vega $135,000 (-$5,000))

We now have 4 players in solid form: defender James Lund remains in solid form for the second straight week, while winger Robert Cannon, defender/midfielder Buster Minton, and midfielder George Warren increase to join him.

We have 3 players in poor form: newcomer wingback Boguslaw Kardynal, injured winger Kelvin Campbell, and backup keeper Ed Negron.

Midfielder Theodore Vega dropped in form for the second straight week to inadequate. Keeper Robby-Dudley Evans has lost value 4 weeks in a row, although visibly he has only dropped 1 level in form (to inadequate), I perceive he has lost small amounts of form each week. We may start scouring the transfer wires for a backup.

Team Stats

With the loss of Richard Stewart and the addition of 6 new players, these changes will be quite drastic this week.

These stats do not include the coach.

Players: 24
Total Value: $1,492,000 (-$86,000)
Avg Value: $62,167 (-$20886)

Total Wage: $19520 (+$2240)
Avg Wage: $813 (-$96)

Avg Form: 5.63 (+0.05)

Club News
We the new additions, we gave last week's trainee Spencer Raymond his walking papers. He was just another warm body with our injury troubles, but now we're in no such dilemma.

It was a momentous day: Today my balance sheet was in the black for the first time in a month. This was short-lived as we soon added two more defensive trainees. I really need to regulate my transfer spending. I now have 6 trainees, meaning I'll have to sell at least one before the new season. We also dipped down into slight debt again.

New 'Villians

Mihai Pãdurean (7587348)
19 years, inadequate form, healthy

A sympathetic guy who is fiery and upright.
Has disastrous experience and passable leadership abilities.

Nationality: România
Assessed value: 16 000 US$
Wage: 696 US$/week including 20% Bonus
Owner: Morrisville Morrisvillians
Warnings: 0

Stamina: wretched Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: poor
Winger: wretched Defending: passable
Scoring: weak Set Pieces: wretched

His stamina is crummy, but we can work on that this offseason. We paid $16,000.

Daniel Grenander (3800970)
21 years, inadequate form, healthy

A pleasant guy who is temperamental and honest.
Has disastrous experience and poor leadership abilities.

Nationality: Sverige
Assessed value: 36 000 US$
Wage: 840 US$/week including 20% Bonus

Stamina: passable Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: poor
Winger: weak Defending: passable
Scoring: weak Set Pieces: wretched

Now that I think about it, he's probably too old to train. We're going to transfer list him tomorrow, probably at lower than I paid for him. On the other hand, if his form improves, he could probably crack my starting lineup as a wingback. So many decisions... He cost $15,000

Last edited by NevStar : 03-13-2003 at 11:39 PM.
NevStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 09:09 PM   #102
NevStar
High School Varsity

Match
We face Opiewon Kenobi. They always play a 3-5-2, with both wingers played towards the middle. I will purposely NOT take advantage of this, as this game means nothing, and I'll have to face them again next season. When it counts, I'll change my strategy accordingly. Because of this, as well as the fact that 3 of my starters are still injury and our team spirit is at irritated, I believe we are solid underdogs.

As it is, I'll play an asymmetric 3-5-2. We make a few other changes, most significantly giving Buster Minton a start as defensive midfielder, due to his high form.

Morrisville Morrisvillians - Opiewon Kenobi

Date: 3/17/2003 at 01:00
MatchID: 4593056
Arena: Morrisville Morrisvillians Arena
Crowd: 15041

A brilliantly sunny day had enticed a crowd of 15041 to Morrisville Morrisvillians Arena. Morrisvillians had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. The following players had been chosen: Dudley-Evans - Ribelles, Lund, Kozuchowski - Cannon, Warren, Vega, Minton, Sifres Belenguer - Felton, Andersen.

Opiewon tactics involved an interesting 3-5-2 combination. Lineup: Keating - Boone, Bouchard, Powell - Cavanaugh, Bowser, Bragg, Schmitt, Coy - Lance, Boggs.

First Half

James Lund of Morrisvillians received a yellow card in the 2nd minute for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Opiewon had a good opportunity to score the lead goal but the home team goaltender Robby Dudley-Evans saved Justin Lance´s shot headed for the top corner.

In the to 6:th minute a very unfortunate collision in the home teams penalty area led to Morrisvillians´s Victoro Sifres Belenguer being carried off the pitch and replaced by Greger Bladin.

19 minutes into the fray Alan Felton (9) popped up from nowhere, stole the ball and scored. (1 - 0. I assume this was an unpredictable event goal)

Sidney Bragg came up alone against the goaltender in the 26:th minute but the visitors far left defense managed to sort the situation out in the end.

A really bad tackle inside the penalty area in the 28:th minute gave the referee no other choice but to award visiting Opiewon the penalty shot. Matthew Bowser knocked home 1 - 1.

Half Time

The teams went for a half-time break at 1 - 1. Opiewon held the ball, with a clear 59 percent possession rate.

Second Half

Bogdan Kozuchowski was very close to giving Morrisvillians the lead with an ingenious free kick routine in the 56:th, the ball just grazing the bar.

Opiewon had several good opportunities to take the lead, especially in the 59:th minute when Benjamin Boggs came up alone against Robby Dudley-Evans who managed a block.

Sidney Bragg of Opiewon received a yellow card in the 65:th minute for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Morrisvillians created a good opportunity to score in the games 68:th minute when Theodore Vega`s hooked ball created a scuffle in front of the goal, and the visitors defenders had a hard time clearing the ball. James Lund received some harsh words from his coach after he acted foolishly, probably out of lack of experience, in the 68:th minute and almost caused an opponent to score.

In the 70:th minute the visitors broke through on the right after some poor defending and Benjamin Boggs put the ball away for 1 - 2.

After 71 minutes a combination in the middle resulted in a through ball for Benjamin Boggs who increased Opiewon´s lead to 1 - 3.

Post Game

The fortyfive minutes were dominated by Opiewon, with an impressive 71 percent possession of the ball.

The most dominating Morrisvillians player was without a doubt Robert Cannon. However, Greger Bladin made a disastrous appearance. The most dominating Opiewon player was without a doubt Perry Keating. Oren Powell on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 1 - 3.

Morrisville Morrisvillians
Midfield: poor (3)
Right Side Defence: passable (6)
Central Defence: solid (7)
Left Side Defence: inadequate (5)
Right Side Attack: excellent (8)
Central Attack: passable (6)
Left Side Attack: weak (4)

Nevstar match rating: 45
(this is just like the DataKing rating, except tripling the midfield. My justification for this is, in addition to the emphasis on midfield that the HT engine uses, that defense & attack both get 3 ratings each. Thus the formula is:

3*midfield + right def + central def + left def + right att + central att + left att)

Opiewon Kenobi
Midfield: weak (4)
Central Defence: solid (7)
Left Side Defence: solid (7)
Right Side Attack: weak (4)
Left Side Attack: poor (4)

Nevstar match rating: 46

GK: Robby Dudley-Evans: **
DR: Gabriel Ribelles **
DC: Bogdan Kozuchowski **~
DC: James Lund **~
MR: Robert Cannon (off) **~
MC: Theodore Vega (off) **~
MC: Buster Minton (def) **
ML: Victoro Sifres Belenguer (towards middle) ~ (injured)
ML: Greger Bladin (towards middle) *
FR: Søren Andersen **
FL: Alan Felton **

Match Analysis

We played tough, unfortunately their stamina was better than ours and they pulled away in the second half. Robby Dudley-Evans played well, making a couple saves. For the first time ever, Robert Cannon takes the Morrisvillian MVP honors, with a solid 2.5-star performance. Despite the loss, fine individual performances from everybody (excepting the injury replacement Greger Bladin, who isn't designed at all to be a winger playing towards middle).

Yet another injury, this time to Victoro Sifres Belenguer. He's estimated to be out for 3 weeks.

We had our first sellout, probably attributable to the beautiful weather. This struck me as odd, as the game really had no meaning. Of course, Morrisville is starved for any entertainment, whatsoever.

Final League Table

Code:
1. Cons Commandos 14 64 - 19 36 2. Maryland Defect 14 49 - 17 33 3. The Champion 14 53 - 29 28 4. Opiewon Kenobi 14 31 - 21 22 5. Yoknapatawpha Jeffe 14 46 - 33 18 6. Morrisville Morrisv 14 26 - 50 13 7. F.C. Hastings 14 17 - 52 9 8. SpearsRocks 14 7 - 72 4

LAST ROUND

Morrisville M - Opiewon Kenob 1 - 3
F.C. Hastings - SpearsRocks 5 - 1
Maryland Defe - The Champion 2 - 1
Yoknapatawpha - Cons Commando 1 - 3

No upsets in the last week. Cons Commandos ended up below the auto-promotion line, so they will have to play a qualification game next week.

Despite the 6th place finish, I'm pleased with the performance and ratings of the team, and think I'll be in an excellent position next season. It appears as if I've been placed in one of the stronger V series. On the bright side, if I ever do get promoted, I'll be fully prepared for division IV.

Club News

Alan Felton ended the year tied for 6th place in the league in scoring with 9 goals. The league leader, Edward Anderson, from The Champion finished with 19.

Here's our injured list.
Matt Atkins - bruised
Kelvin Campbell - 2 weeks
Victoro Sifres Belenguer - 3 weeks

Earl Frantz was still listed as bruised before the game, which is why he didn't start.

We take advantage of the server down time, and pick up some transfer bargains. Most of these I hope to daytrade, despite the buyer's market. However, two of these warrant some writing about.

Salamón Serra (8733943)
18 years, passable form, healthy

A sympathetic guy who is balanced and honest.
Has disastrous experience and solid leadership abilities.

Nationality: USA
Assessed value: 177 000 US$
Wage: 1 400 US$/week

Stamina: disastrous Goaltending: passable
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous
Scoring: disastrous Set Pieces: poor

Alberto Agullo Rueda (8632697)
26 years, weak form, healthy

A pleasant guy who is calm and dishonest.
Has poor experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Nationality: Argentina
Assessed value: 32 000 US$
Wage: 888 US$/week including 20% Bonus

Stamina: weak Goaltending: wretched
Playmaking: passable Passing: weak
Winger: wretched Defending: weak
Scoring: wretched Set Pieces: wretched

Although I already have a passable keeper, Serra, at a mere $75,500 transfer fee, was too good to pass up. In limited playing time, he's pulled 2.5 stars, which is better than Dudley-Evans' 2.0. As an added bonus at sympathetic/solid, Serra will serve as the team clown. I have an outstanding bid on another goalkeeper, if I don't win that bid, Serra will be the starter next year.

We paid $10,000 for Rueda. Although he's not quite starting caliber for us, passable playmakers typically go for much more than what I paid, usually above their value, even for a 26-year old. He will take part in our stamina training in the offseason & then we'll resell him for a large profit.

Youth Pull

Ed Carrasco (8847894)
17 years, passable form, healthy

A controversial person who is tranquil and honest.
Has disastrous experience and inadequate leadership abilities.

Speciality: Head

Assessed value: 21 000 US$
Wage: 600 US$/week

Stamina: inadequate Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: poor Passing: wretched
Winger: poor Defending: weak
Scoring: passable Set Pieces: weak

A 17-year passable scorer at the beginning of the year would've drawn $40k easily. Still, beggars can't be choosers, especially since only 2 weeks ago, I was still pulling crap (hooray passable youth squad). He's been listed at $4000.

Economy
I've decided to no longer post everything in economy updates, as they're long & boring. Plus, now I can do an Enron-esque fixing of the books .

Our balance made it to positive for about 2 hours last week. Currently, we're about -50k in debt, but will have multiple players transferred this week. $2000 in interest is so much easier to handle than $13000. We give our economist his walking papers, and pray we never need him again.

Up Next
We play FOFC legend Quiksand's Chesapeake Cheapshots in this week's friendly. Lock the doors, hide the women & children, "Crazy" Earl Frantz is off the DL and ready to rock.

Later in the week, I'll also put together some end of season data for your enjoyment.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #103
NevStar
High School Varsity

Update:

I suprisingly won the bid for the other goalie I was bidding on:

Ángel del Toro (5775369)
22 years, inadequate form, healthy

A pleasant guy who is calm and honest.
Has wretched experience and weak leadership abilities.

Nationality: España
Assessed value: 270 000 US$
Wage: 2 604 US$/week including 20% Bonus

Stamina: excellent Goaltending: passable
Playmaking: disastrous Passing: disastrous
Winger: disastrous Defending: disastrous
Scoring: disastrous Set Pieces: wretched

He is only a passable goalie, but look at his value. He is likely very close to solid. Looking through his history, his best performance was 3 stars! This is surely a steal at $108,000.

Of course, I managed to get my team deep into debt again, so anyone still looking for a passable goalie, as well as a clown, I'll be listing my new pickup Serra tomorrow. Also, my current goalie, Robby Dudley-Evans, has been listed for $85,000 if anyone's interested.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:55 PM   #104
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Assessed value: 270 000 US$

This guy is almost ready to pop!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 04:38 AM   #105
Alf
Pro Starter

2604 $ per week... Too much for my poor team
Old 03-19-2003, 11:13 AM   #106
NevStar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Alf
2604 $ per week... Too much for my poor team

Heh, me neither. But, I've resigned myself to running with debt.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:33 PM   #107
NevStar
High School Varsity

Friendly vs. Chesapeake Cheapshots

Date: 3/20/2003 at 01:00
MatchID: 5121196
Crowd: 601

Weather conditions were fairly good for football, and Morrisville Morrisvillians Arena saw a crowd turnout of 601. Morrisvillians had chosen a strategic 4-5-1 formation. The following players had been chosen: del Toro - Miller, Pãdurean, Agullo Rueda, Frantz - Ribelles, Kozuchowski, Brandquist, Poudrier, Andersen - Flynn.

Chesapeake had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. They fielded: Boswell - Sourada, Ribeiro, Liljenander - Shelley, Aybar, Tall, Sahlell, Duvgård - Leonowicz, Laine.

First Half

Morrisvillianss Uriel Poudrier gave, after 2 minutes, the home team a 1 - 0 lead after an attack coming in from the right.

In the games 8:th minute Chesapeake´s Paul Shelley fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Paul Shelley for taking a dive.

16 minutes into the game Bogdan Kozuchowski had to leave the pitch due to a knee injury. In came Ed Negron.

With 19 minutes played the visitors almost levelled the score. Paul Shelley shot a hard curved free kick, striking the post.

In the 21st minute Morrisvillianss Earl Frantz received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first. Chesapeake made a substitution in the 23rd minute. David Duvgård limped off the field and was replaced by Patrick Sandin.

Half Time
Halftime score was 1 - 0. Chesapeake held the ball, with a clear 58 percent possession rate.

Second Half
Kondrat Leonowicz almost scored an equalising goal for Chesapeake in the 72nd minute, but Ángel del Toro made an excellent save, tipping the awkwardly curled shot past the post.

Some brilliant football from the visitors right wing resulted in a 82nd minute levelling of scores as Chesapeakes Sergio Aybar equalised to 1 - 1.

In the games 84:th minute Seppo Laine almost gave the visitors the lead, as he clipped a spectacular scissors shot just past the bar.

Chesapeake´s Sergio Aybar gave the visitors a 1 - 2 lead in the 85:th minute with a superb strike from the right.

In the 87:th minute Morrisvillianss Mihai Pãdurean received a yellow card for going into a challenge studs first.

Seppo Laine came close to extending the visitors lead as he, completely unmarked in front of the goal, lifted a ball over Ángel del Toro, hitting the bar.

Unsportsmanlike behaviour by Earl Frantz rendered him his second booking of the match, and Morrisvillians had to finish the game with a reduced squad.

End of Match
Chesapeake held the ball, with a clear 81 percent possession rate.

The most dominating Morrisvillians player was without a doubt Ángel del Toro. Ed Negron on the other hand, had a terrible day. The most dominating Chesapeake player was without a doubt Martin Liljenander. Gavin Tall on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 1 - 2.

Midfield: wretched
Right Side Defence: inadequate
Central Defence: passable
Left Side Defence: passable
Right Side Attack: weak
Central Attack: wretched
Left Side Attack: wretched
Team Rating: 31

Chesapeake Cheapshots
Midfield: poor
Right Side Defence: solid
Central Defence: passable
Left Side Defence: inadequate
Right Side Attack: weak
Central Attack: weak
Left Side Attack: inadequate
Team Rating: 40

Player Ratings
GK: Ángel del Toro **~
DL: Ethan Miller ~
DC: Mihai Pãdurean **
DC: Alberto Agullo Rueda *
DR: Earl Frantz (sent off)
ML: Gabriel Ribelles (off) **
MC: Bogdan Kozuchowski (def) *~ (injured)
MC: Ed Negron (def) 0
MC: Henrik Brandquist (def) *~
MC: Uriel Poudrier *~
ML: Søren Andersen (towards mid) *
FC: Willis Flynn *~

Analysis

Gah, stamina! We got bushwhacked in the last 10 minutes. Add another starter to the injury list. Kozuchowski is out for 2 weeks, hopefully he'll be able to train, at least, by next week. This now makes 14 weeks lost to injury by my team. Thank god the season's over.

Incidentally, I'm training at 95% and have 3 physios. Obviously, I'll be increasing the number of physios.

I believe QuikSand's increase in possession from 58 to 81% was more a result of my backup goalkeeper substituted in at inner midfield than any stamina advantage.

Club News

Youth pull Ed Carrasco sold for $13,000.

Former starting goalkeeper Robby Dudley-Evans failed to draw any bids at his listed price of $85,000. We'll try again tomorrow.

Former backup wingback/winger Dan Little sold for $5000.

Up Next: Training results. There's a chance that Theodore Vega and/or Buster Minton may get a playmaking bump in my last week of training it. This is especially important for Vega, as he will be my first excellent.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:05 AM   #108
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unsportsmanlike behaviour by Earl Frantz rendered him his second booking of the match, and Morrisvillians had to finish the game with a reduced squad.
*wags finger like a teacher* Someone needs to take better care of Crazy Earl.

SI

Old 03-20-2003, 01:07 PM   #109
NevStar
High School Varsity

C'mon... he hasn't played for 2 weeks. I was suprised he lasted almost the whole game.
Old 03-20-2003, 01:09 PM   #110
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Rabies kits... CHECK
Stun gun... CHECK
Net gun... CHECK
Rubber bullets... CHECK

Ok, I think my team is ready

SI

Old 03-20-2003, 10:02 PM   #111
NevStar
High School Varsity

Training results

We had one increase in playmaking, although it wasn't from the player I was hoping for: Greger Bladin increases from poor to weak. Bladin is slotted as a backup wingback.

6 increases in form (4 starters)
3 decreases in form (2 starters)

15 increases in value (highest Ángel del Toro $289,000 (+$19,000))
7 decreases in value (lowest Robby Dudley-Evans $139,000 (-$11,000))

Solid Form: 3 players. George Warren and Robert Cannon remain at solid. Gabriel Ribelles increases one rank. James Lund and Buster Minton drop one to passable form.

Midfielder Theodore Vega dropped in form again to weak. This is 3 drops in 3 weeks. I imagine offseason stamina training won't help this either. Vega is a key member of the team, and a season of general at the beginning of next season might be necessary. Currently, our only option is for him to play out of it.

Team Stats

These stats do not include the coach.

Players: 24
Total Value: $1,783,000 (+$291,000)
Avg Value: $74,292 (+$12,125)

The addition of a nearly $300,000 valued keeper does wonders for your average value.

Total Wage: $21,290 (+$1770)
Avg Wage: $887 (+$74)

ditto

Avg Form: 5.58 (-0.05)

Club News

Former starting goalkeeper Robby Dudley-Evans has been relisted at $80,000. Anyone interested?

Next Week: We play the Houston Hippotami in a return match. This is the spot where I would put trash talking, but I'm tired & am going to bed.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:45 PM   #112
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Next Week: We play the Houston Hippotami in a return match. This is the spot where I would put trash talking, but I'm tired & am going to bed.
That's right. Run and hide ya cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys.

SI

Old 03-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #113
NevStar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
That's right. Run and hide ya cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys.

SI

Alright, the gauntlet has been thrown down.

Earl Frantz announces name change.

Starting wingback and lover of cheese, "Crazy" Earl Frantz announced that due to global events, he'd be changing his name to "Earl Freedom."

Freedom also remarked on the upcoming friendly with the Hippopotami, bringing with him the stuffed head of the Hippo mascot he abducted in the first game. "This? He's my Minister of Cowardly Nancy-Boys," said Freedom, referring to the head.
The press conference abruptly ended when he called for a meeting with his "Head Staff" and dropped his pants.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:58 PM   #114
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Weekly Press Announcement:

3/21/2003 Year End Shakeup and Crazy Earl
After the sale of excellent playmaker Julius Acker netted over $600K, the Hippos are looking to upgrade all over the field. Details will be worked out in the next few days

On an unrelated note, the Hippos are looking to give Morrisville some payback for a friendly loss earlier this year. Mick Starks, called out 'Crazy' Earl Frantz by musing "Hmm... he sounds like one of those chease eatin' surrender monkeys. I wonder if he confuses his alternate white uniform for his state flag?"

SI

Old 03-23-2003, 08:38 AM   #115
NevStar
High School Varsity

Youth Pull

The VP of player development comes through for the 3rd straight week, getting us another passable.

Otis Dupre (9453806)
19 years, passable form, healthy

A sympathetic guy who is temperamental and dishonest.
Has disastrous experience and wretched leadership abilities.

Speciality: Quick

Assessed value: 56 000 US$
Wage: 800 US$/week

Stamina: weak Goaltending: disastrous
Playmaking: inadequate Passing: weak
Winger: wretched Defending: passable
Scoring: wretched Set Pieces: poor

Although someone younger would've been nicer, Dupre will be kept and put through defensive training next year.

{Back Story} Dupre and Willis Flynn (youth pull from 2 weeks ago) had grown up together on the Morrisville youth team. They were both standout central defenders, and shared a not-so friendly rivalry. Dupre was always evaluated as the better "pure" defender, while Flynn had better all-around skills. When Flynn was given the call up to the big leagues first, Dupre was devastated. He rebounded, and now is here, hoping to show the management they made the wrong choice in selecting Flynn first.

Club News

I log on to this message:

"3/22/2003 Received mother club money for a player: 26 250 US$. "

Grr. Richard Stewart, who I had to struggle to sell at $404,000, was resold for $525,000. He now plays for div VI Swedish side Hamplangarna.

His old club, FAIK played him in 2 games, one at forward (**) and one at offensive winger (**, why??).

NevStar - whose dynasty thread doesn't evolve into Pokemon discussion.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:31 PM   #116
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NevStar - whose dynasty thread doesn't evolve into Pokemon discussion.
Is that evolve or devolve? Wait that's my thread. You take that back

SI

Old 03-25-2003, 11:33 AM   #117
NevStar
High School Varsity

League News

Cons Commandos, V.93 champions, won their qualification match with Iroquois Natives 4-1. The Natives finished in 6th place in division IV.48.

They are an old team, with a birth date of 1/21/02, but simply don't have the current personnel to match with the top of our division. On the other hand, any club that has been around for that long should have an excellent fan base, and as such, an excellent economy situation. We'll have to watch them carefully. As they stand now, they will fight to place 4th in V.93.

New 'Villians

André Lövbo (8266360)
29 years, inadequate form, healthy

A pleasant guy who is fiery and honest.
Has weak experience and passable leadership abilities.

Speciality: Technical

Nationality: Sverige
Assessed value: 55 000 US$
Wage: 1 128 US$/week including 20% Bonus

Stamina: weak Goaltending: wretched
Playmaking: solid Passing: passable
Winger: disastrous Defending: poor
Scoring: poor Set Pieces: inadequate

If we can increase his stamina and form, Lövbo is just what we needed: an offensive threat in the inner midfield. One of my concerns with playing a 4-5-1 was lack of attack strength, particularly in the center. Although he is aging, Lövbo will go a long way to alleviating that, at least in the short term. We purchased him for $90,000.

Also, former starting goalkeeper, Robby Dudley-Evans, was sold for the discount price of $80,000 to new team, Tar Heel FC, in the USA 5th division. The era of Ángel del Toro has begun in Morrisville.

Up Next: We sharpen the pointy sticks in preparation for a home friendly against the Houston Fat, Lazy, Marine-Based Mammals. That is if they're able to muster up enough courage to actually show up.

Also, I'm still preparing a gala end of season report. Expect that sometime later in the week.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:08 AM   #118
daedalus
Pro Rookie

That's a nice pickup. Does playing a midfielder 'offensive' help with stamina? If it does, maybe that's an option with Lövbo?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:06 AM   #119
NevStar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
That's a nice pickup. Does playing a midfielder 'offensive' help with stamina? If it does, maybe that's an option with Lövbo?

I don't think so. Offensive- and Defensive-oriented midfielders have the same impact on playmaking so I'd assume that it's the same with stamina.

Edit: We will definately be playing him offensively, though. This will take full advantage of his high passing skill.

Last edited by NevStar : 03-26-2003 at 08:07 AM.
NevStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 10:34 PM   #120
NevStar
High School Varsity

Morrisville Morrisvillians - Houston Hippopotami

While not playing our most competitive lineup, we're playing a good amount of starters. Some because they're form is dipping, some because they're just returning from injury & need playing time. In an experiment to see if we can get enough offense from the 5-4-1 to use in cups (hey DK!), we'll use it, knowing full well that we're bound to see some confusion.

Pre Game
Date: 3/27/2003 at 01:00
MatchID: 5142282
Crowd: 603

603 spectators had come to Morrisville Morrisvillians Arena this cloudy day. Morrisvillians started off with a 5-4-1 lineup. The following players had been chosen: del Toro - Lund, Vega, Minton, Dupre, Pãdurean - Cannon, Atkins, Lövbo, Frantz - Andersen.

Hippopotami had chosen a strategic 3-5-2 formation. Lineup: Kimber - Hebert, Strömlius, Bush - Newsom, Connors, Friedländer, Jörgensson, Starks - Chang, Phelan.

First Half
Morrisvillians broke through to the left in the 8:th minute, Otis Dupre firing at an acute angle giving the home side a 1 - 0 lead.

In the games 11th minute Morrisvillians´s Matt Atkins fell dramatically just outside the penalty area. However, the referee booked Matt Atkins for taking a dive.

After an industrious effort down the middle Otis Dupre could have closed the game off in the 13th minute, but his finishing shot hit the post.

Morrisvillians appeared unsure on how to play.

The visitors didn´t give in and after 36 minutes Thomas Strömlius got through the home sides central line of defense, rolling in the levelling goal to make it 1 - 1

Seemingly due to lack of experience, Otis Dupre needlessly tripped an opponent just outside the penalty area, but the free kick that followed didn't succeed.

Morrisvillians seemed to suffer a certain amount of confusion about the organization of the team.

Morrisvillianss Matt Atkins gave, after 40 minutes, the home team a 2 - 1 lead after an attack coming in from the right.

Half Time
The teams went for a half-time break at 2 - 1. No one team arose to dominate this half, ending in a deadlock.

During the break Morrisvillians´s coach went through the teams new tactics yet again.

Second Half
In the 52nd minute Morrisvillians´s André Lövbo tried to nail the coffin shut, but the shot rebounded off the bar to fall behind the net.

Morrisvillians´s James Lund left the field after 53 minutes because of a nasty blow to the shin. His replacement was Willis Flynn.

A speedy charge from the left side of the field put Morrisvillians lead up with 3 - 1. Earl Frantz finished that one off competently, firing from an acute angle.

In the 79:th minute Morrisvillians put themselves up 4 - 1. The visitors defenders lost the ball to Otis Dupre coming up from the left, who proceeded to cooly round the goaltender and knock the ball home. By now Morrisvillians were drawing the troops back in order to defend their lead.

Morrisvillians seemed to suffer a certain amount of confusion about the organization of the team.

The visitors replied in the games 83rd minute, scoring the 4 - 2 goal, as Defoe Chang broke through from the left, easily lobbing the ball over the home teams keeper.

The referee showed Morrisvillianss Søren Andersen the yellow card after a particularly nasty challenge. Hugh Hebert the unlucky victim, couldn´t continue the game.

Anders Jörgensson of Hippopotami received a yellow card in the 85:th minute for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Post Game
Morrisvillians, bringing the final ball possession rate to 61 percent, dominated the battle.

The most dominating Morrisvillians player was without a doubt Matt Atkins. However, Buster Minton made a disastrous appearance. The most dominating Hippopotami player was without a doubt Tim Kimber. Anders Jörgensson on the other hand, had a terrible day. The match ends 4 - 2.

Right Side Defence: solid (7)
Central Defence: passable (6)
Left Side Defence: passable (6)
Right Side Attack: passable (6)
Central Attack: weak (4)
Left Side Attack: passable (6)

Match Rating: 44

GK Ángel del Toro **~
DW James Lund (def) *~ (injured)
DW Willis Flynn (def) **~
DC Theodore Vega (off) **
DC Buster Minton (off) *~
DC Otis Dupre **~
DW Mihai Pãdurean (def) **
WI Robert Cannon (off) **~
MC Matt Atkins (off) ***
MC André Lövbo (off) **
WI Earl "Frantz" Freedom (off) **~
FW Søren Andersen **

Houston Hippopotami
Central Defence: passable (6)
Left Side Defence: passable (6)
Right Side Attack: passable (6)
Left Side Attack: excellent (8)

Match Rating: 47

Press Announcement

3/27/2003 Hopeless Hippopotami Hastily Halted
In a return grudge match played at Morrisville Arena, the Morrisvillians defeated the Houston Hippopotami 4-2.

"There's three things that are certain in this crazy world," said the always quotable starting winger and avid Batman comic-collector 'Crazy' Earl 'Not Frantz' Freedom, "Death, taxes, and the complete crappiness of the Hippopotami."

Matt Atkins, seeing his first action in a month, received Man of the Match honors and scored the eventual game-winner in the 40th minute.

Match Analysis

All joking aside, thanks to SI for trading barbs with me this week. It was fun. We wish you the best of luck for the new season.

In what's become a tradition, we lose another player to injury. This time, the victim is James Lund. This is most disappointing, since he has wretched stamina & will now miss the offseason stamina training.

Matt Atkins shows he hasn't lost a step, despite being injured for a month. Newcomer André Lövbo was a bit of a disappointment, but with stamina training, he should fare better.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:08 PM   #121
NevStar
High School Varsity

Training

This week we trained Stamina.

Some people dropped in form.
Lots of people bumped in stamina.

Our team value dips slightly to $1,752,000
while our average form drops to 5.38.

Now then, on to the exciting post:
Old 03-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #122
NevStar
High School Varsity

End of Season
Here's a recap of the season. Match Ratings (3*MF+Def+Att) are included in parenthesis after the score:

1/27/2003 (League): Morrisville Morrisvillians 5 (41) - Yoknapatawpha Jefferson 4 (49)
2/3/2003 (League): Yoknapatawpha Jefferson 2 (49) - Morrisville Morrisvillians 2 (43)
2/10/2003 (League): Morrisville Morrisvillians 4 (45) - Cons Commandos 3 (56)
2/17/2003 (League): Morrisville Morrisvillians 0 (55) - Maryland Defect 6 (54)
2/24/2003 (League): F.C. Hastings 0 (35) - Morrisville Morrisvillians 5 (47)
3/3/2003 (League): Morrisville Morrisvillians 3 (45, PIC) - SpearsRocks 0 (31)
3/10/2003 (League): The Champion 4 (51) - Morrisville Morrisvillians 3 (52, MOTS)
3/17/2003 (League): Morrisville Morrisvillians 1 (45) - Opiewon Kenobi 3 (43)

If we determined season standings only from the 8 games MMFC played, they would look like this:

Code:
Team W D L Pts Actual Pos Maryland Defect 7 0 1 21 2 Cons Commandos 6 0 2 18 1 The Champion 4 1 3 13(+7) 3 Morrisville Morrisv 4 1 3 13(+1) 6 Opiewon Kenobi 3 3 2 12 4 Yoknapatawpha Jeffe 3 2 3 11 5 F.C. Hastings 1 0 7 3 7 SpearsRocks 0 1 7 1 8

Looking over my matches, teams with the higher Match Rating only won 2 out of 8 games. Clearly, Match Ratings aren't the only answer when evaluating teams. In fact, my best rating of the year (vs. Maryland Defect, 55) resulted in a 0-6 slaughter at home. Next season, I'll be experimenting with other ways to evaluate team strength, taking more into account area matchups (e.g. left attack vs right defense, midfield vs midfield).

All in all, I'd say we're more skilled than most teams my "age" at this point. Although the end of the season was a disappointment, we made some great strides.

Looking Ahead

I assert that V.93 is one of the more difficult 5th division leagues, at least on the top half of the standings. This league is so competitive that the newly relegated div IV team may be in danger of being relegated again. Here's my predicted order of finish for Season 19.

1. Maryland Defect - one of two teams that beat Cons Commandos last season. Active and well coached, they deserve to be promoted. Very solid lineup top-to-bottom.
Midfield: weak, Attack: solid, Defense: solid
Players > $100k: 5
Star Player: Javier Conde Quintero (26, $219,000, 2.5-star wingback)

2. The Champion - Was in the running last season until they packed up & sold their starters. They'll put that money to good use this season to try for another run.
Midfield: poor, Attack: passable, Defense: passable
Players > $100k: 7
Star Player: Edward Anderson (24, $324,000, 3.0-star forward)

3. Morrisville Morrisvillians - In any other division V, we'd dominate. As it is, we may not be quite ready this season.
Midfield: weak, Attack: passable, Defense: solid
Players > $100k: 6
Star Player: Ángel del Toro (22, $289,000, 3.0-star goalkeeper)

4. Iroquois Natives - Demoted team, not terribly impressive, but bound to have some decent financials. Judging by player value, this team is quite skilled, but gets very mediocre ratings, indicating an unskilled coach.
Midfield: wretched, Attack: passable, Defense: solid
Players > 100k: 8
Star Player: Emmett Callahan (20, $334,000, 3.0-star goalkeeper)

5. Opiewon Kenobi - One of the oldest teams in the division, but not able to keep up. This may be due to their odd team-building strategy: In 5 months of existance, they have absolutely NO transfer activity. Their team is entirely built from original players and youth squad call ups.
Midfield: weak, Attack: weak, Defense: solid
Players > 100k: 8
Star Player: Johnnie Bouchard (25, $427,000, 3.0-star wingback)

6. F.C. Hastings - barely active. A PIC team.
Midfield: wretched, Attack: poor, Defense: inadequate
Players > $100k: 4
Star Player: Tomas Lifell (22, $125,000, 2.0-star midfielder)

7. nixis demons - A brand new team, less than 24 hours old. They replace Yoktapanawpha Jefferson, the oldest team in the league. It's hard to tell with new coaches. We'll be keeping an eye on them.
Players > 100k: 1
Star Player: Ezra Mcarthur (29, $173,000, no prior games)

8. SpearsRocks - This guy, like clockwork, logs in once every 5 weeks, changes his lineup & disappears. I'm not complaining, as it'll give me a much needed week to PIC.
Midfield: wretched, Attack: poor, Defense: inadequate
Players > $100k: 3
Star Player: John Gilman (28, $250,000, 3.0-star defender)

SEASON AWARDS

In a gala banquet at the Morrisville Community Center (nevermind the chlorine smell), the Morrisvillians handed out their season awards.

Scoring Title
Winner: Alan Felton - 9 goals (league games only)
2nd: Richard Stewart - 5 goals
3rd: Gabriel Ribelles - 3 goals

For ALL games (including friendlies), this is the entire list. Keep in mind the team was taken over at midseason.

Code:
1. Alan Felton 10 2. Richard Stewart 8 3. Søren Andersen 5 4. Gabriel Ribelles 3 George Warren 3 6. Greger Bladin 2 Otis Dupre 2 8. Robert Cannon 1 James Lund 1 Theodore Vega 1 Ethan Miller 1 Colby Hawkins 1 Uriel Poudrier 1 Matt Atkins 1 Earl Frantz 1

Offensive Player of the Year
Winner: Alan Felton (2.25 average rating, 9 goals scored)
2nd: Matt Atkins (2.5)
3rd: Robert Cannon (2.0, 1 goal)

If Atkins hadn't been injured, this may have been closer. As it was, 29 year old Alan Felton spent the season showing up all the youngsters, and proved to be my only consistent scoring threat. After scoring 9 goals this year, Felton has 31 for his career.

Atkins, 26 year old attacking midfielder, is a key contributor to our solid midfield. He's usually positioned offensively, as opposed to his counterpart, Theodore Vega who was positioned defensively.

Cannon, 27 year old winger, has improved significantly over the season. Although his playmaking is considered a detriment (poor), his skill at cross passes make him too valuable not to start, and his beautiful passes have set up many a goal.

Defensive Player of the Year
Winner: James Lund (2.13)
2nd: Robby Dudley-Evans (2.00)
3rd: Earl "Call me Freedom" Frantz (1.94)

In all actuality, this award should be given to Richard Stewart, who generated a solid 2.46 rating, but he is no longer with the team.

Lund, 19, provides a solid foundation for a young defensive corps that management expects will improve by leaps & bounds next year.

Dudley-Evans was a decent goalkeeper, although his legacy in Morrisville will be more fondly remembered by the local bar & club owners than any proficiency on the soccer pitch. Unfortunately, his replacement for next season has already been found in Ángel del Toro. Dudley-Evans, having been recently transfered, was not in attendence, although rumor has it that he got drunk in remembrance of his old team.

Crazy Earl, 24 year old wingback and intimidation tool, has been--at various times this season--great fun to watch and a pain to watch. That's the adventure of getting an Unpredictable player in your backfield. This potential cause for heart palpatations will only double next season, as Frantz will be joined by Bogdan Kozuchowski, another Unpredictable defender. Frantz will be the oldest of the defenders next year; time will tell whether Earl can be a leader. Also, management has experimented with playing Earl as a winger instead of in the backfield.

Reserve of the Year
This award is given to the player not normally selected for the starting 11.

Winner: Victoro Sifres Belenguer (1.78)
2nd: Buster Minton (1.59)

Belenguer, 22, has filled in admirably for winger injuries. He's improved greatly over the year, going from 1.0 ratings in friendlies, to a decent 2.0 rating in league games.

Minton, 18, has played both central defender & inner midfield. He's thought to have a bright future with the team, but he's not ready for first team duties just yet.

Søren Andersen, much to his disappointment, was omitted from selection for this award, because he's considered a starting forward.

Supporter's Player of the Year

Morrisvillian supporters were invited to vote on this award. A special thanks to my supporters who took the time to vote. Didn't get to vote? Become a member of The Crazy Squad, and make the Morrisvillians awards ceremony an interactive experience next season!

Winner: Alan Felton
2nd: Theodore Vega
3rd: Earl Frantz

What can I say, the strikers get the chicks. Felton is the oldest player on the team, the team captain, and loves outlasting the young kids in wind sprint drills in practice. Congrats, Alan!

Most Valuable Player
Winner: Theodore Vega (2.61)
2nd: Alan Felton (2.25)
3rd: Gabriel Ribelles (1.65)

Vega has been Mr. All-Around this season. He began the year as a defensive midfielder, where he generated 3.0 ratings. With the injury to Matt Atkins, he was asked to become a more offensively oriented midfielder to help an offensively-challenged team. Although this change was to decrease his personal ratings, he accepted to help the team.

This 19 year old is considered the player with the brighest future on the club, now that Richard Stewart is gone. Followers wonder: Will he eventually see the same fate as Stewart?

No more can be said about Felton, who's been mentioned more times than any other player at this awards presentation.

Ribelles, 24, is mentioned not for his ratings, which would never blow anyone away, but for his versatility. During this season, he has played every outfield position and has done so admirably. His versatility gets him mention here. While his role will surely decrease next season, I like having a guy for the SuperSub role.

And with that, the inaugural season for the Morrisvillians comes to a close. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's read this dynasty. An extra thanks goes to the official Morrisville supporters:

1. Doug5984
Supporter since: 2003-03-12 23:10:25
2. Eilim
Supporter since: 2003-02-28 02:40:59
3. vexroid
Supporter since: 2003-02-13 08:21:58
4. wackerfreak
Supporter since: 2003-02-07 07:40:01
5. sterlingice
Supporter since: 2003-02-02 22:57:25

I'll be taking a week off, but will return next season with the continuing story of the Morrisvillians.