Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #101
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Sorry, P-51 Boy, but liking one of the greatest TV shows of all time is most certainly NOT lame.

heh.. Well.. according to us. But, if I tell people I like it the typical comment is, "Why?"

Ohh.. I forgot another lame one... Carrot Top...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #102
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Hot off the....insignificant blog, or something:

Is a Genesis reunion in the works? Former guitarist Steve Hackett says it is indeed. Hackett, who was in the band in from 1971 to 1977, told us that overtures are being made about getting the progressive rock group back together at some point: "There's something afoot. There's a move afoot to put us together again. At some point there's a reformation mooted. It's rare that I get a call from Genesis management, very rare these days. So maybe something will happen, you know."

Hackett said the reunion would include original singer Peter Gabriel , drummer-vocalist Phil Collins , guitarist-bassist Mike Rutherford , and keyboardist Tony Banks . Nothing specific has been arranged yet, however.

That would be cool...would they spilt the songs between Collins and Gabriel?

Oh yeah, I also enjoy country music (not the old crap). Beat me
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:19 PM   #103
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
You list COUNTRY MUSIC and have the gall to say Journey Sucks?????

Someone hold me back, I'm gonna pimp slap the bastich.

*Holds RendeR back*

It's not worth it dude. Let DD have his ill-informed beliefs. We know better.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #104
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I always liked Phil Collins, and his pre-solo days at Genesis. That's my guilty pleasure.

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM   #105
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I never understood "Sussudio"? What does it mean? Also, "One More Night" is kinda odd. Other then that, Collins had some very good and deep lyrics as a solo artist as well.

Whats with the Sabrina and Cristy thing?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #106
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
I never understood "Sussudio"? What does it mean?
My brother answered this one for me a few years back. Apparently, Phil Collins' daughter had a horse named "Sussudio" and so he used it for an unusual name for a woman in the song.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #107
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
My brother answered this one for me a few years back. Apparently, Phil Collins' daughter had a horse named "Sussudio" and so he used it for an unusual name for a woman in the song.

Have to listen to it later. Take Me Home is a great song (about a patient in a mental hospital).
Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #108
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

"Home By The Sea" is another good one.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #109
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
"Home By The Sea" is another good one.

Hmmm...what cd is that on?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #110
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

I seem to recall at the time Collins explaining that Sussudio was how he described a particular drum fill, and ended up working the word into a song.

not saying that is correct or that the horse thing is incorrect, just what I recall.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #111
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I never understood "Sussudio"? What does it mean? Also, "One More Night" is kinda odd. Other then that, Collins had some very good and deep lyrics as a solo artist as well.

Whats with the Sabrina and Cristy thing?

LOL...sorry about that. That entire passage is straight out of Patrick Bateman's mouth in "American Psycho." It's a great scene, and whenever I hear someone bring up Phil Collins, I think of it. And it fit perfectly in that context...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #112
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Hmmm...what cd is that on?
Genesis, "Genesis"
Old 10-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #113
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Genesis, "Genesis"
Ok...Though it was a Collins song. I only have the "Greatest Hits' by Genesis.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:52 AM   #114
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I seem to recall at the time Collins explaining that Sussudio was how he described a particular drum fill, and ended up working the word into a song.

not saying that is correct or that the horse thing is incorrect, just what I recall.

Here are the lyrics to Sussudio, which sounds like its about a girl that Coug is suggesting:

There’s this girl that’s been on my mind
All the time, sussudio oh oh
Now she don’t even know my name
But I think she likes me just the same
Sussudio oh oh

Oh if she called me I’d be there
I’d come running anywhere
She’s all I need, all my life
I feel so good if I just say the word
Sussudio, just say the word
Oh sussudio

Now I know that I’m too young
My love has just begun
Sussudio oh oh
Ooh give me a chance, give me a sign
I’ll show her anytime
Sussudio oh oh

Ah, I’ve just got to have her, have her now
I’ve got to get closer but I don’t know how
She makes me nervous and makes me scared
But I feel so good if I just say the word
Sussudio just say the word
Oh sussudio, oh

Ah, she’s all I need all of my life
I feel so good if I just say the word
Sussudio I just say the word
Oh sussudio I just say the word
Oh sussudio I’ll say the word
Sussudio oh oh oh
Just say the word

With a few people liking Genesis/Phil Collins, is he a guilty pleasure? One thing of Collins is you don't hear from him, expect when he is singing.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-07-2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #115
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Here are the lyrics to Sussudio, which sounds like its about a girl that Coug is suggesting:

yeah, the song is about a girl.

not to split hairs, but is there anything in those lyrics to explain where Collins got the word Sussudio from?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #116
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Collins
Phil said: "This is one of those examples of improvising lyrics. You know, sometimes you can use the lyric, other times you're in big trouble, because what you write doesn't mean anything. So I set up this drum-machine pad, and I got some chords, and I started to sing into the microphone, and this word came out, which was "sus-sussudio"... It just literally came out, at the time... that was back when I could dance... So I kinda knew I had to find something else for that word, then I went back and tried to find another word that scanned as well as "sussudio", and I couldn't find one, so I went back to "sussudio". Then I thought OK, let's give it a meaning, what is it? The lyrics are based on this schoolboy crush on this girl at school. It's happening with my daughter now, she's 8 years old and she loves this boy, but she won't tell him, like in the lyrics this boy loves her but they don't talk about it... how do they know? 'I know she likes me, I know she likes me, doesn't know my name, doesn't know I exist, but I know she likes me'... So that's what the song is about, so "sussudio" became a name for this person, and since it's become a name for a horse. My older daughter's got a horse called Sussudio, and I'm sure there are children all over the world with the name Sussudio, so I apologise for that..."

http://hit.demonhosting.co.uk/cgi-bi...num=1113817287

as I suspected, the naming of the horse came AFTER the song, not before.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #117
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

At least he apologized. That was nice of him.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #118
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
At least he apologized. That was nice of him.
What exactly is he apologizing for? The word, or not explaining what it meant?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #119
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What exactly is he apologizing for? The word, or not explaining what it meant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Collins
"My older daughter's got a horse called Sussudio, and I'm sure there are children all over the world with the name Sussudio, so I apologise for that..."

Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #120
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Journey's 'Escape' Tour Due On CD/DVD

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

A 1981 Journey concert in Houston that was originally broadcast by the fledgling MTV is headed to CD and DVD as "Live in Houston 1981 -- Escape Tour." Due Nov. 15 via Columbia/Legacy, the project was produced by former Journey frontman Steve Perry, who exited the veteran rock act for good in 1998.

Although five of the songs from the show have been previously released, the CD portion sports never-before-available renditions of tracks like "Wheel in the Sky," "Lights," "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'," "Mother, Father," "Line of Fire," and "Escape," as well as "The Party's Over (Hopelessly in Love)," which was not filmed and as such does not appear on the DVD.

The DVD is rounded out by interviews with band members and a rare photo slide show.

Here is the track list for "Live in Houston 1981":

"Escape"
"Line of Fire"
"Lights"
"Stay Awhile"
"Open Arms"
"Mother, Father"
Jonathan Cain solo
"Who's Cryin' Now"
"Where Were You"
Steve Smith solo
"Dead or Alive"
"Don't Stop Believin'"
"Stone in Love"
"Keep on Runnin'"
Neal Schon solo
"Wheel in the Sky"
"Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"
"Anyway You Want It"
"The Party's Over (Hopelessly in Love)" (CD only)

And the verdict is in:

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/journeylive.php

The short version for the click-lazy:

"Closing Statement

They may never have been the critics' darlings, but Journey knew how to craft entertaining, tuneful, technically flawless pop-rock of the first order. This handsome concert disc / audio CD set contains all the proof you need.

Don't stop believin'.

The Verdict

Not guilty of anything except rockin' the Summit. Case dismissed."
Old 01-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #121
Schmidty
Coordinator

I used to love Journey. They were almost as good as Abba. Did I mention that I also liked America?

Does anyone remember the Journey arcade game from the early 80's? I played the hell out of that thing.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:43 PM   #122
Craptacular
College Starter

Somehow I missed this thread the first time around. I really like Phil Collins and Genesis, Enya, Journey, Def Leppard, lots of other 80s hair bands. Heck, we put not one, but two Journey songs on our wedding reception dance CD, including the song for our first dance. One of my all-time favorite concerts was Phil Collins, and Sussudio was the best part of it.

edit: Oh yeah, I love Weird Al Yankovic.

Last edited by Craptacular : 01-16-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #123
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Eddir Izzard is seriously FUCKING HILARIOUS.

I could watch his HBO special from a few years back tice weekly and still wet my pants. The man is simply friggin hysterical.

Ditto - love the guy. Funniest stand up I've seen in quite a while.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Ditto - He is one of my favorite comedians as well. I could enjoy watching his routine every week.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:11 PM   #125
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Does anyone remember the Journey arcade game from the early 80's? I played the hell out of that thing.

That game rocked my ass off. I wonder if it was ever "converted" to be playable on the PC? Hmmm...time for a google search.