Old 10-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #101
klayman
College Benchwarmer

me three
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 04:44 AM   #102
riz
SI Games

Praising and criticizing players is on our "future to-do" lists. Not certain for the next version yet though. The thing is, it's quite easy to add two buttons, one that says "Praise player" and one that says "Criticize player", but creating and balancing the effects of those two buttons is a lot more work...especially when you've got such a wide variety of users playing the game, some of which would most likely be clicking these multiple times a day for one player and some would just ignore them
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:37 AM   #103
Flasch186
Coordinator

sorting the players on the waiver wire....it is impossible to compare them all when having to click on each one. That is a HUGE complaint. The waiver wire basically, as it is now, is 5% useful, 95% cumbersome and useless.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 02:15 PM   #104
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
sorting the players on the waiver wire....it is impossible to compare them all when having to click on each one. That is a HUGE complaint. The waiver wire basically, as it is now, is 5% useful, 95% cumbersome and useless.

There aren't usually that many players on waivers. The reason why there are now more than normally, is because NHL did away with the waiver draft.

How would you like to sort the players on the waiver wire ? Any additional views (ie. other columns) you'd like to see there ? We can add them in the future, just let us know

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, this is the very first time someone has had a complaint about that screen. But hey, there's always a first time for everything

Last edited by riz : 10-08-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #105
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
There aren't usually that many players on waivers. The reason why there are now more than normally, is because NHL did away with the waiver draft.

How would you like to sort the players on the waiver wire ? Any additional views (ie. other columns) you'd like to see there ? We can add them in the future, just let us know

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, this is the very first time someone has had a complaint about that screen. But hey, there's always a first time for everything

Probably because, until the new patch, it was never an issue becuase of the reasons you state above. Back in the day, when there was a waiver draft, the big "waiver dump" was sortable because it was setup as a draft. I used to spend a lot of time sorting through players, trying to decide who to pick up. I could see where a similar volume of players could create the problems Flasch is having.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #106
Flasch186
Coordinator

LOL, perhaps have it be setup like a regular roster screen, with the attributes tab, general tab, etc. If i were a GM Im sure I would want to be able to compare and contrast the players, etc.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 06:51 PM   #107
bhlloy
Coordinator

Riz... couple of more random things I've noticed as I've now got to the start of my second season.

Somebody won the Lady Byng equivalent (sportsmanship) in one of the CHL leagues with 90 PIM's on the season. Doesn't seem right to me. I can check who and which league if needed. The NHL one seems to be fine though - Gagne won it and he only had 10 PIM's.

Hall of fame inductions for the NHL seems to be pretty wacky. Seven players made it including Vincent Damphousse (questionable), Shayne Corson (questionable), James Patrick (no way) and Scott Young (LOL) All had over 1000 games and over 300 points which I guess is the criteria. Seems very low.
On that issue, is there a file we can edit to allow the real life NHL hall of fame to appear in the game? That would be awesome and would really add some history and realism.

EDIT - just wanted to add that Damphousse and Young hadn't even technically retired. They were still FA's and their last season was showing up on the HOF screen as the 2006/07 season, which I haven't even started. Scott Stevens took a coaching position with some team in Florida and has retired, and he hasn't been inducted into the HOF.

Last edited by bhlloy : 10-08-2005 at 06:54 PM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #108
Hurst2112
College Starter

stupid question:

Have the player incentives been removed? Goals, Assists and other things per season? I look under the extras and they aren't there.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #109
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy
Riz... couple of more random things I've noticed as I've now got to the start of my second season.

Hall of fame inductions for the NHL seems to be pretty wacky. Seven players made it including Vincent Damphousse (questionable), Shayne Corson (questionable), James Patrick (no way) and Scott Young (LOL) All had over 1000 games and over 300 points which I guess is the criteria. Seems very low.
On that issue, is there a file we can edit to allow the real life NHL hall of fame to appear in the game? That would be awesome and would really add some history and realism.

If you look around in the game, every league has its own hall of fame. The criteria to enter a hall of fame in EHM is not modelled after any real life criteria, as the hall of fames in the game are not real. They were introduced to store some career recaps on the players who had good careers in that league.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #110
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
stupid question:

Have the player incentives been removed? Goals, Assists and other things per season? I look under the extras and they aren't there.

Under the new CBA, these types of incentives are only allowed for a certain type of player. I don't remember the limitations off hand, but these types of incentives/bonuses are limited to older guys who didn't play a full season or such.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-09-2005, 06:27 AM   #111
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
If you look around in the game, every league has its own hall of fame. The criteria to enter a hall of fame in EHM is not modelled after any real life criteria, as the hall of fames in the game are not real. They were introduced to store some career recaps on the players who had good careers in that league.

I can see where you are coming from, however any chance you could make the criteria and the history editable for any league (maybe release the code/file details for this so a third party editor could be made?) I'd much prefer a "realistic" NHL hall of fame, and in other leagues to be able to choose the criteria as well. This would be a nice touch bringing EHM in line with OOTP.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:32 AM   #112
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Well, I just finished my first season post-patch with the Kamloops Blazers. I was named as a challenger for the WHL title despite being listed 11th in the league. I should have know right then the season I was to have in store. After a quick start, the team fell back down to earth, and I started rebuilding by shipping out the older players for draft picks and youngsters, and letting my younger ones get considerably more ice time. However, the kids ended up producing very well, and by Christmas we were well within the hunt. A season high 7 straight wins took us to the top of the league and a spot on the Top 10 CHL list. That was followed by a season high 10 straight losses (the first 8 without a single point from OT or a shootout). We dropped very quickly in the standings, hovering around 4th in our division, 10th in the league.

This set the tone for the rest of the season, but what can you expect from 16 and 17 year olds. After dangling close to not making the playoffs, a late surge pushed us into 2nd in the division and a first round playoff battle against rivals Kelowna. I don't think I've ever seen two teams so evenly matched against each other, as the stats of both teams were nearly identical in every category. Predictably, the series when back and forth, and we managed a 7th game 4-2 win with 3 PPG in the 2nd period. Thank you Mr. Referee.

That led to a 2nd round showdown with 1st place Vancouver, who struggled early in the season, but had to be one of the best teams in the league for the 2nd half. They outclassed us all season, and quickly jumped to a 3-0 game lead, outscoring us 12-3 in the process. Only a OT goal saved us from getting swept at home in the 4th game, and as we headed back to Vancouver, I was more busy planning for the draft then expecting any further playoff action. A gutsy defensive performance gave us a 2-1 win however, and a 4-2 win at home tied the series at 3. Back to Vancouver and the kids pull it out with a 4-3 win in OT.

Then come the injuries. As if my lineup wasn't thin enough as it was, 4 of my few remaining veteran players fall before the next series against Seattle, and once again we find ourselves 3-0 down. One by one, the veterans make their way back into the lineup, and we close the gap, again forcing a 7th game. Could we do it again, and sneak our way into the final? Sadly, no. Seattle was in complete control in game 7, and brushed us aside, but a successful season considering I had given up on us getting anywhere about 10 times during the year.

As a positve footnote, one of the early trades netted the 1st round pick overall in the upcoming Bantam draft.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #113
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Well, I just finished my first season post-patch with the Kamloops Blazers. I was named as a challenger for the WHL title despite being listed 11th in the league.

My bad. The team's reputation determines the expectations for them, and I hadn't updated the WHL reputations from last season because I was waiting to find a good season preview to base them on. Got one from the Kelowna newspaper now, so the final update will have them reflective of this year's expectations.

Quote:
This set the tone for the rest of the season, but what can you expect from 16 and 17 year olds. After dangling close to not making the playoffs, a late surge pushed us into 2nd in the division and a first round playoff battle against rivals Kelowna. I don't think I've ever seen two teams so evenly matched against each other, as the stats of both teams were nearly identical in every category. Predictably, the series when back and forth, and we managed a 7th game 4-2 win with 3 PPG in the 2nd period. Thank you Mr. Referee.

You got lucky. Kamloops has a lot of talent on paper, but serious leadership and cohesiveness problems. In 20+ years of watching the WHL, I'd never seen a Kamloops team quit when they're down by a couple, but I've now seen it three times in the last two years. Just no heart at all. And their hidden mental ratings tend to reflect that, while Kelowna's are what you'd expect from a team with one national and two league championships in the last three years.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #114
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

I haven't downloaded the pacth yet... I'm waiting for the season update, and I'm trying to get to 2012 in my Rangers career with the old patch.

But can anyone comment on the Team Needs section? Are you able to list draft picks as a need yet... while this is a great feature, when you're rebuilding it sucks something bad that you can't tell everyone you really, really need extra picks.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:15 AM   #115
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
My bad. The team's reputation determines the expectations for them, and I hadn't updated the WHL reputations from last season because I was waiting to find a good season preview to base them on.

No worries Jeff. I finished 11th and made it to the 7th game of the Western Conference Final. I'd say the prediction was right on.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:18 AM   #116
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
I haven't downloaded the pacth yet... I'm waiting for the season update, and I'm trying to get to 2012 in my Rangers career with the old patch.

But can anyone comment on the Team Needs section? Are you able to list draft picks as a need yet... while this is a great feature, when you're rebuilding it sucks something bad that you can't tell everyone you really, really need extra picks.

Don't think so. I've noticed in both the NHL and WHL you'll get alot more picks in the AI's offers though.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #117
rewissick
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz

How about if the waiver wire had a search function similiar to the draft or regular player search? Or, add in 'Waived' as a player status so I can sort thru all of them in the regular player search screen, like I do with UFAs?
rewissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #118
G-Man
High School JV

Question What if any is the difference (ease of use?) in purchasie the download vs store purch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
yep you can download it.

but if its going to be in the US stores, then i rather buy it from the store.

Why is that?
Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #119
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man
Why is that?

Why would someone rather buy it from a store than download it? If I had the choice, I would always go with the store bought disc. It allows you to install it whenever and wherever you like. You don't have to worry about the number of installs you have or dealing with some of the headaches that arise from downloading a game.

I paid the extra money when EHM came out and had the game shipped over from Europe as opposed to buying the download.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #120
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

Any ETA on the new database update? I've been holding off starting a new career and installing the "NA Super Patch" until the most recent update is available.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #121
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Dola.

Any ETA on the new database update? I've been holding off starting a new career and installing the "NA Super Patch" until the most recent update is available.

Have all the leagues started playing now? When does the ECHL kick off?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #122
JeffR
High School JV

Out by the end of the month, hopefully, but I wouldn't be too upset if that slid back a little to give us a few more days to work on the database.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Out by the end of the month, hopefully, but I wouldn't be too upset if that slid back a little to give us a few more days to work on the database.

Is this just going to be a database update or a patch as well?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #124
Schmidty
Coordinator

So is there ever going to be an FOFC EHM league?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #125
JeffR
High School JV

Patch too. I think Riz and Graeme have made scattered mentions of what they're fixing on the SI boards, but I'm eyebrow-deep in database work right now so I haven't been keeping up with that.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #126
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Ok, fedex just dropped off my copy of ehm and I am off until Monday Though I have a basic understanding of hockey there is much to learn especially
on the contract, waiver rules, free agency, etc. etc. etc.
Some I've figured out but one I haven't is on the player card, it says

value
asking

under where it shows who drafted the player and has his rights.

Could someone explaing what the value and asking is?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #127
JeffR
High School JV

That's mainly there for the European leagues, where players are sold rather than traded. Approximate value he'd be worth in a sale, and the team's actual asking price.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 PM   #128
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
So is there ever going to be an FOFC EHM league?

I hope so, but I don't know if anyone has stepped up to be a commish. I bumped the thread a couple weeks ago and got little response, so I'm not sure of how many would still want to do it.

I would be willing to do it, but I would have to have a co-commish that would help with website stuff and run sims when I couldn't. There's just always a few days that I have college/grad school application stuff that is piled up and needs to get done.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 10-12-2005 at 06:58 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 PM   #129
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Well, I did my part. Looked up EHM at Gamestop.com, used their Check Store Availability, and it listed 2 stores here that had copies. Just picked it up.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #130
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm enjoying this game a lot. My suggestions for patchs/future versions

1. keyboard shortcuts - I would rather navigate this sort of game with my keyboard than my mouse

2. the ability to highlight a long list of players and add to the shortlist ... the way I scout the draft is, I send my scouts to look at the incoming draft class, then add guys to my shortlist, then send my scouts to look at the shortlist ... but it's too cumbersome a process right now. Putting the shortlist together is about 30 minutes of clicking.

More to come, perhaps...
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:54 PM   #131
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

For those that have the patch downloaded... can you comment on the frequency of GM\Coach firing? I'm in the year 2011 with my Rangers dyanasty, and I'm estimating that 80% of GM's are still in place, and it's only within the last year or so that teams have been beginning to make Front Office & Coaching changes. When they do, NHL teams seem to be hiring alot of Euro guys... which isn't how it works in the real NHL.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:26 AM   #132
JeffR
High School JV

Looking at a couple of saves from tests on the upcoming patch, NHL GM turnover seems to be about three per year; real life is probably around 4, so it's close.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:31 AM   #133
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Well, I did my part. Looked up EHM at Gamestop.com, used their Check Store Availability, and it listed 2 stores here that had copies. Just picked it up.

I cant find it on their site...little help?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 AM   #134
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
I cant find it on their site...little help?

Looks like it's gone now. But it's still on Amazon and Walmart.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:24 AM   #135
riz
SI Games

Quote:

Sega US is currently looking into why the game is no longer listed at Gamestop.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:45 AM   #136
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
Sega US is currently looking into why the game is no longer listed at Gamestop.

That makes me feel much better.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:21 AM   #137
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

JeffR, your link at walmart is to last years version. The link here

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...d&ics=20&ico=0

shows ehm 2005 is also out of stock at walmart.

Is it selling better than expected? Hope so. Be nice to actually see it in more stores next year.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:52 AM   #138
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
Is it selling better than expected? Hope so. Be nice to actually see it in more stores next year.

Hopefully yes. Also out of stock at target.com apparantly. And a lot of people have been saying they got the last copy when they visited their local EB (not that those places had many copies to start with, but anyways...)
Old 11-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #139
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Any idea on when the next patch/roster update will be out?
Old 11-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #140
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Any idea on when the next patch/roster update will be out?

The roster update / patch to version 2.1.2 will be out early this week. So very soon.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #141
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
The roster update / patch to version 2.1.2 will be out early this week. So very soon.

This is excellent news. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #142
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz

Awesome!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #143
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes, this is very good news indeed!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #144
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

You would think game stores in ALL NHL cities would carry this game. But no. Not damn Buffalo. EB? no..Gamestop? nope..Target, Walmart, Compusa?..zilch. Called or visited all and pestered the employees with title and UPC .. Not a damn thing.. Funny thing is I was in Abilene,TX this past summer and saw both hockey and soccer games from SI in a gamestop. Guy told me he never sold a single copy of EHM . Abeline and not Buffalo..go figure....crazy distribution.

Oh well, off my rant and time to think if I want to order from a online retailer.(not a big fan of letting my cc info traipse thru the phonelines though.)
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #145
Simms
FOBL Commish

2.1.2 Patch is out.

http://community.sigames.com/groupee...5/m/2712088471
Old 11-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #146
scooter
High School Varsity

Thanks, I've been waiting for this for a while.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:17 PM   #147
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

A L - Don't you know you are in Buffalo, they can't do anything right there . Hell it has taken more than five years to come up with a design for the damn Peace Bridge and forget about the water front, that development will take 30 years.

Although I still have Buffalo pride, they have got to get their shit together otherwise they will continue to lose the younger generations.
BuffaloHuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #148
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Does the new patch include new data with updated rosters? I understand that I would have to start a new game to use the new data, but I didn't see any mention of new data in the changelog.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #149
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Does the new patch include new data with updated rosters? I understand that I would have to start a new game to use the new data, but I didn't see any mention of new data in the changelog.

Data has been completely updated in this patch. We handed in the DB around the end of October so things should be accurate to that point.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #150
Simms
FOBL Commish

Crosby starts on the Penguins, and combined with a few other unscientific spot-checks, it would appear that yes, the rosters have been updated.