Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #101
Bee
Pro Starter

public beta for OOTP. They had to go back and rename the Angels from Anaheim to Los Angeles.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:01 AM   #102
Celeval
Pro Starter

FM 2006 it is...
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #103
JeeberD
General Manager

Meh...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #104
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

well, if anybody is able to see it, could you please copy/paste it here. Looks like the SI website is getting hammered right now... I can't load the frontpage...

FM
Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #105
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
well, if anybody is able to see it, could you please copy/paste it here. Looks like the SI website is getting hammered right now... I can't load the frontpage...

FM

There's something with a video on the front page.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #106
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
There's something with a video on the front page.

yeah, their forums are loading and it's all I could find...

FM
Old 05-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #107
Celeval
Pro Starter

British humor. Odd video.

Some notes on the new features in FM2006... BIG news is that it'll be on the PSP.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #108
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Some notes that I'm gathering from the video (no details on them as the sound doesn't work right for me):

-Man Management
-Manager Contracts
-Improved Training Module (this is every year, though)
-Half-time Team Talk
-Improved Game Design
Old 05-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #109
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

So you all know (seeing as its filtering out slowly on the SI Games forums) .... its Footballer Manager related (sorry chaps) .....

* First look at some of the new FM2006 features
* Brief first look at the forthcoming Football Manager PSP game

(via. a lovely video featuring uncle Miles from SI and a lot of sheep ..... not as scarey as it sounds )
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #110
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

here's the news item concerning the PSP version (hope it's okay Marc, will hopefully lighten the load on your server)

Quote:
Football Management on the move
Added on 09/05/2005 @ 16:00:01 in Press Release

LONDON, UK – May 6th, 2005- SEGA Europe Ltd, and Sports Interactive are proud to announce Football Manager™ 2006 for PSP. Specifically designed for Sony’s PlayStation Portable handheld entertainment system (PSP), this new game will, for the first time, offer fans of Sports Interactive’s games an opportunity to experience the highs and lows of virtual football management ‘on the go’.

Sports Interactive have modified their genre defining football management game to purposely suit the PSP. Football Manager 2006 retains all of the hallmark realism and excellence, but is specifically designed to be a more immediate pick up and play experience.

“From the moment that we got our hands on our first PSP we knew that we were finally looking at a portable system that could do our game justice,” comments Miles Jacobson, Managing Director of Sports Interactive. “Football Manager™ is well-known as being a game that people carry with them in their hearts and minds – pretty soon they’ll be able to carry it in their pockets too. ”

“This has to be one of the most exciting games coming to PSP. I’m going to start getting the train into work so I can play it in the mornings!” commented Matt Woodley, Creative Director of SEGA.

For anyone who loves football, Football Manager™ 2006 offers a dream come true. Using a new state of the art game interface and management infrastructure, Football Manager™ 2006 accurately simulates the trials and tribulations of a real football manager. Experience the pressure as you rise through the ranks, reach the heady heights of the Premiership and try your luck in Europe.

Features for Football Manager™ 2006 PSP:
  • Select an active league from a minimum of 6 countries’
  • Accurate data from the world renowned SI football database
  • Up to date and accurate competition simulations
  • Accurate European competitions and world rankings
  • Complete tactical options to allow a manager to influence a match
  • Every player has an accurate player history
  • 30 players in a squad
  • Realistic commentary style match engine and computer manager intelligence
  • Staff feedback on the current squad via coach and physio reports
  • Realistically simulated media involvement - including transfer rumors
  • Agent approaches and dressing room unrest
  • A full interactive transfer system simulating modern day negotiations, including player loans, signings etc.
  • Realistically simulated world of football, giving information about transfers, results and injuries involving the big names in football
MORE FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!
FM
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 AM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

psp? interesting...

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 AM   #112
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and here's the news item concerning simply FM2006 for PC & Mac...

Quote:
The start of a new season with Football Manager™ 2006
Added on 09/05/2005 @ 16:00:00 in Press Release

LONDON, UK -- May 6th, 2005 - SEGA Europe Ltd is proud to announce the next step in Sports Interactive's genre-defining Football Manager™ series. Boasting a multitude of new and upgraded features, Football Manager™ 2006 is set to release on both PC and Mac in Winter 2005. The first set of new features being announced today are a small selection being implemented into the game. Football Manager™ 2006 is bursting with many more features that will be unveiled throughout the year.

"The new game is destined to build on the outstanding commercial and critical success of the last," Matt Woodley, Creative Director of SEGA. "Football Manager? is now the genre benchmark and once again our colleagues at Sports Interactive are creating a game which their fans will be delighted to play."

"Just like the real-life game, Football Manager™ continues to evolve as each new season comes and goes," says Miles Jacobson, Managing Director of Sports Interactive. "As has become traditional over the years, the changes that we've made this time around have been inspired not only by events and trends in the real world, but also by changes which have been suggested by our ever-keen fan base."

One of the many fan-inspired features to make it into FM 2006 will be that, for the first time, managers will be able to negotiate with their board of directors - not only for a better contract for themselves, but also for improved player wage budgets and increased transfer budgets or even stadium expansion. Be aware though, if you push too hard and don't reach the heights that the board specify, you'll soon be looking for a new job.

Half-time team talks add the ability to tell your players individually or collectively exactly what you thought of their first half performance, via the tactics screen. Will you be able to keep your players motivated, or will you cause a collapse in the second half?

Another welcome feature is the ability to manage players on a personal level. Unhappy players can cause huge morale problems for the whole squad and result in bad performances, so the new Player Interaction feature will help you to manage your team more closely.

A completely revamped training module simplifies training schedules and players' training progress, with your coaches becoming far more important members of backroom staff. New media items and expansion of the media module have been implemented, including but not limited to, cup draw news and man of the match news.

Want to know how many yellow cards the ref looking after your Saturday match has given in the last few matches? Now you can, with referee profiles and league tables, which add an extra element to tactics of the game. Maybe hard tackling is not a good idea for this Saturday's match!

Also adding an extra tactical element to FM 2006, the player positions feature has been taken one step further. A player position indicator will not only show you the best positions for your player and where to play on the pitch, it will also show player preferred moves for those players in your team. As well as this, the Player Positions display format has been upgraded, making it easier for the manger to pick the team.

MORE FEATURES TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON!

With all-new features, vastly improved gameplay and a heritage of unquestionable quality, Football Manager™ 2006 offers an unrivalled management simulation experience.

FM
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #113
Bee
Pro Starter

Will the PSP version be fully functional or will it be stripped down?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #114
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

Looks like stripped down, at least in some regards. Right now, it looks like they only have 6 countries locked up, so there certainly won't be the variety that is in the full version.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:46 AM   #115
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

Its a new game written from scratch - but reusing components of our existing PC games (ie. AI etc.).

Its not the 'full' FM by any stretch (fitting a game which has 50 leagues onto a PSP with 32Mb of memory and no virtual memory just simply won't happen) more a hark back to the days of our third series of games ....

This means its aster to play than FM, so easier to pick up and blast through a season during say a couple of hour train journey.

Its realistic and a lot of fun to play in my obviously biased opinion
Old 05-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #116
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I like these:

Quote:
One of the many fan-inspired features to make it into FM 2006 will be that, for the first time, managers will be able to negotiate with their board of directors - not only for a better contract for themselves, but also for improved player wage budgets and increased transfer budgets or even stadium expansion. Be aware though, if you push too hard and don't reach the heights that the board specify, you'll soon be looking for a new job.

Half-time team talks add the ability to tell your players individually or collectively exactly what you thought of their first half performance, via the tactics screen. Will you be able to keep your players motivated, or will you cause a collapse in the second half?

Another welcome feature is the ability to manage players on a personal level. Unhappy players can cause huge morale problems for the whole squad and result in bad performances, so the new Player Interaction feature will help you to manage your team more closely.
IMO, it'll make the game even more immersive, if it's even possible, even more like a RPG. I've had plenty of players say they want "clarification on their role at the club" but I can't tell them anything right now. I also have often wanted to talk to my team at the half, or at least wake up one of my players sitting on a form rating of 5 after 45 minutes...

The training & tactics module can only be good, we'll have to see what it is before we can judge, but as RPI-fan said, these are in the upgrade about in every version...

Not too anxious to see it released though. 6 months after getting FM2005, I'm still playing on a daily basis

FM
Old 05-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #117
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Not too anxious to see it released though. 6 months after getting FM2005, I'm still playing on a daily basis
Don't worry we won't be rushing it out - expect it in time for xmas ...
Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #118
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan

well, a bit before xmas wouldn't be too bad. You know, we gotta have it shipped to North America and have it in our hands before xmas, you don't want to cut it too close either

FM
Old 05-09-2005, 11:09 AM   #119
Drake
assmaster

I think a sporting text sim for PSP is a *huge* deal, even if I don't own (and have never played) FM. SI should be congratulated.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #120
SackAttack
Head Coach

Will the PSP version be a career sim, or just a single-season deal with reduced countries? If it's got career play, even with only six countries, I'm all over it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 AM   #121
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

will it be available to buy in the united States stores.

last year version was so hard to find in any US stores.

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #122
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
I think a sporting text sim for PSP is a *huge* deal, even if I don't own (and have never played) FM. SI should be congratulated.

Great news for train/bus/metro commuters. Probably not so much for driving commuters.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #123
maximus
Banned

crap. I was really hoping for something regarding American football - although I knew the chances were slim.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 PM   #124
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
crap. I was really hoping for something regarding American football - although I knew the chances were slim.

Given the several mentions over the last couple of months on this board about an announcement coming we'd all be very interested in, I was also not expecting this to be about the next iteration of FM.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #125
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

I was interested in it, though. Sounds like some nice additions.

As far as American Football goes, why can't we get Jim to implement some of these ideas for FOF? How much can it take to bribe him?
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #126
chinaski
College Prospect

FM2006 Q&A on Eurogamer.com....
hxxp://195.157.98.220/article.php?article_id=58958
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #127
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe

As far as American Football goes, why can't we get Jim to implement some of these ideas for FOF? How much can it take to bribe him?

Contract work runs at about $80 per hour.

Eventually, that is a direction I'm headed with the series. It's just a question of what order I do the mountain of things I'd like to do.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #128
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Marc and the SI fellas . . .

Since y'all are still in the development process, I would like to ask for the following:

1) Bring back the complain about the referee function. I know it did not do a whole lot. In fact, I have only heard or seen one instance where it did something (somebody here had a referee be fired). Regardless, my Gunners still has to travel to Old Trafford and, undoubtedly, one day Mike Riley is bound to be assigned to my game.

And Frogger will still have to deal with his favourite referee, Mr Styles.

2) Please add the ability to discipline players for the reason of "Missing Training". As of right now (and in the past), we have had to default to "Unprofessional Behavior" which just doesn't . . . satisfy.

Even if I have to use the ARSE (or whatever it is in the current version) command to get around the stupid PFA.

3) Please give me back the ability to send whichever player I choose on holidays when they are having issues settling. As of the demo, I was able to send some on holidays (Lupoli) but not others (Flamini).

4) If at all possible, consider the possibility of adding the ability to select multiple players for the same function. With this version, y'all have added the right-click contextual menu and I heart all of y'all for it. The second step to that would be to add multiple select (ie, selecting multiple players to be scouted).

From my outsider point of view, 1-3 does not seem to be difficult additions so I'm hoping not to join the ranks of those who ask for the moons and the stars. The 4th is probably going to be tougher to implement within the current frameworks but, y'know, one has to lay the groundworks for the FM5 engine while your brains are churning.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:02 PM   #129
Schmidty
Coordinator

Well, this was a disappointing "announcement".
Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #130
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus

well then I'd like to have a special option called something like "beat with a stick until he bleeds", please please please

Will be indeed funny to see how many yellows and reds he gives out on average. I'd say average of 7.8 yellows (both teams combined) and almost one red a game, say about 0.85 red per game on average

FM
Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 PM   #131
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe

Eventually, that is a direction I'm headed with the series. It's just a question of what order I do the mountain of things I'd like to do.
To be fair, FOF is on the 4th iteration of the game engine while SI has had a bit more time and iterations to improve CM/FM.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #132
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

*massive celebration in the streets*
Old 05-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #133
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Will the PSP version be a career sim, or just a single-season deal with reduced countries? If it's got career play, even with only six countries, I'm all over it.
It'll be a career sim ... probably have an upper limit on the number of seasons you can play, but I'm aiming for a around 30 (ie. same as in CM97-98) so not that many people will ever reach the end.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #134
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
It'll be a career sim ... probably have an upper limit on the number of seasons you can play, but I'm aiming for a around 30 (ie. same as in CM97-98) so not that many people will ever reach the end.

If I ever make it out to the UK, drinks are on me.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #135
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I think Jim does fantastically considering he's the sole programmer on FOF ... its a fantastic achievement imho, I for one am looking forward to the next game ....
Old 05-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #136
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Wow! I just finally got to FOFC for the first time today, and see this great announcement. I agree with those that mentioned a text sim on the PSP is a huge deal. This game will be the final straw that pushes me over the edge and makes me buy a PSP whenever this game comes out

I'm also quite excited by the announced features for FM 2006, particularly the halftime speeches, and more features for managing players on a personal level.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #137
maximus
Banned

Quote:

Sounds great Jim. I would personally love to see a graphically enhanced FOF/TCY sim. The FOF series sim engine is far superior to any other football sim/game currently out there that an immersive graphical interface (TPB, OOTP for ex) would blow the market wide open - even further than you already have.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:09 PM   #138
maximus
Banned

Quote:
I think Jim does fantastically considering he's the sole programmer on FOF ... its a fantastic achievement imho, I for one am looking forward to the next game ....

Would a merger like the SI/OOTPD ever be possible with Solecismic and SI?
Old 05-09-2005, 02:38 PM   #139
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Marc and the SI fellas . . .

Since y'all are still in the development process, I would like to ask for the following:

1) Bring back the complain about the referee function. I know it did not do a whole lot. In fact, I have only heard or seen one instance where it did something (somebody here had a referee be fired). Regardless, my Gunners still has to travel to Old Trafford and, undoubtedly, one day Mike Riley is bound to be assigned to my game.

This one has been asked for many times on the SI boards. They can't do it for legal reasons.

Personally, I'd rather see fictional refs, think "Bob Myles," with the ability to interact with that aspect of the game more.

Last edited by Desnudo : 05-09-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:06 PM   #140
chinaski
College Prospect

I want the 2d pitch for a football and baseball game. Im a sucker for 2d moving dots.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #141
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I like these:

IMO, it'll make the game even more immersive, if it's even possible, even more like a RPG. I've had plenty of players say they want "clarification on their role at the club" but I can't tell them anything right now. I also have often wanted to talk to my team at the half, or at least wake up one of my players sitting on a form rating of 5 after 45 minutes...

The training & tactics module can only be good, we'll have to see what it is before we can judge, but as RPI-fan said, these are in the upgrade about in every version...

FM

Agreed with the first part, I'm definitely excited about the ability to more fully interact with your players. To me, this has been the one big missing piece from the series. Having referees' stats available will be nice as well. However, I've always thought it was strange that this has been missing from the series, as it was in games based on the CM3 engine.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #142
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sounds great Jim. I would personally love to see a graphically enhanced FOF/TCY sim. The FOF series sim engine is far superior to any other football sim/game currently out there that an immersive graphical interface (TPB, OOTP for ex) would blow the market wide open - even further than you already have.

A pretty interface doesn't matter to me, but there are several other aspects of the FM series I would like to see incorporated into FOF. Media interaction, player personalities, etc. That's where all the other sports sims seem to fall well short of the FM series IMO.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #143
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
A pretty interface doesn't matter to me, but there are several other aspects of the FM series I would like to see incorporated into FOF. Media interaction, player personalities, etc. That's where all the other sports sims seem to fall well short of the FM series IMO.

Exactly, plus I'd love a 2d field to watch the "x"s and "o"s move around.

I love my hyper-emotional goalie in FM. He's on an emotional tightrope all the time. I have to get him into good situations and then praise him in the press (but not too much!) to get the best out of him.. This kind of thing really gets you involved, and the personalities in football.. man. /boggles
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:49 PM   #144
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Good thing the article spelled out "PSP". I had no idea what that was.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #145
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think i already can't wait to get my hands on this! player interaction is HUGE, as so many others have mentioned this is an area where I feel like CM/FM has been lacking a bit. I want to be able to interact more with my players, praise them more or criticize them to try to affect their performances or happiness. And halftime team talks...same thing. It'll be nice to not have to talk to my computer screen knowing it won't do anything, but knowing it'll actually mean something.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #146
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I just wish there were more ways to mock people in-game. I kind of wish players would start to get into feuds with each other on different teams.

Player A tells Player B that his momma is fat.
Team A plays Team B.
Player B proceeds to break Player's A's leg.
Player B asks Player A who is his daddy.

This is the kind of stuff I can only dream about.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #147
ahbrady
High School JV

I was really hoping for some OOTP news. I would have been satisfied with just a release date.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #148
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

I see your point but I am not really looking into just pretty graphics. OOTP isn't the prettiest game out there but for me it's immersive. The player cards, news section, ect. It's all done very well imo.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:05 AM   #149
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wooot! The advances sound great. I'm REALLY looking forward to managing individual players. It should make the game that much more realistic .
Old 05-10-2005, 02:06 AM   #150
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I see your point but I am not really looking into just pretty graphics. OOTP isn't the prettiest game out there but for me it's immersive. The player cards, news section, ect. It's all done very well imo.

I agree with the sentiment. It's not "just pretty graphics." A good gui goes a long way towards my enjoyment of a game.

As for FM06, it sounds great; like most of the holes in the player's interaction with the AI are being filled.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote