Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #101
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Yeah it was. Ryan Leaf was on the cover of the PC one I believe, so it was 98 or so.
Danny Wuerffel was on the cover of the last one. I believe Desmond Howard was on the penultimate one. I'm not sure about Howard. I know it was a Michigan player, but I can't remember which one.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong. The Michigan player was NCAA Football 99, which wasn't released on PC. NCAA Football 98 might've been the only one for PC, and Wuerffel was on that cover, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 06-19-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #102
Comey
College Starter

Anyone know of any trade-in deals for NCAA this year?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:48 PM   #103
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Danny Wuerffel was on the cover of the last one. I believe Desmond Howard was on the penultimate one. I'm not sure about Howard. I know it was a Michigan player, but I can't remember which one.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong. The Michigan player was NCAA Football 99, which wasn't released on PC. NCAA Football 98 might've been the only one for PC, and Wuerffel was on that cover, I'm pretty sure.

I have both version of NCAA Football for the PC. One has Danny Wueffel, the other was Charles Woodson.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 05:51 AM   #104
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Can anyone point me specifically to where someone says the dreaded 40% and below completion rate by quarterbacks has been fixed? I did a search last night and found an interview with one of the producers. The majority of the interview spoke of the new feature set while talk about previous bugs was fairly limited (understandably so). Even then, the fact that receivers dropped almost every ball last year was thoroughly glossed over. It gave the impression that the depth of the issue was no big deal to the developers or EA. I'm hoping that's not the case and would love to see an interview or early gameplay review that addresses this.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:22 AM   #105
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Dola - nevermind. I read this on MaddenNation - a report from some hands-on playing at E3:

"I don’t have much new to report on NCAA. Played a few games, and found it to simply be solid all the way around. Again, I had no problem with dropped passes…there were a few but this is college football – I can live with that. But it was not something that would alarm me and think the problem from 2005 wasn’t fixed.

As has been pointed out, the CPU plays very realistically. They aren’t afraid to establish a running game, and they don’t abandon it completely. They also have shown to be a bit more daring in their play calling. They fooled me on a goal line situation, running a fake option reverse, which went for the easy score because I had no idea they would do that. So that’s one more point I found to be very nice about the way it’s played. All they have are 1 player vs. the CPU for NCAA so we didn’t get a chance to play other people and see how things react in that environment."
how do you know?

Old 06-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #106
Balldog
Pro Rookie

What bothers me is none of these guys that did previews last year ever mentioned anything about dropped passes in last year's games.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #107
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, that's true. I think it's the - "I played it for 10 mins syndrome." Certainly, after 10 minutes I had very little inkling my QB was going to complete 28% of his passes. Reviews after only a few days of playing time are filled with "ooohs" and "aaahs" because the focus is on new features. Only after severe gameplay by the purchasers of the game do these things come to the forefront. It's amazing, however, that the developers themselves didn't notice this during their own internal testing.
how do you know?

Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #108
General Mike
Pro Starter

I don't know if I want to waste $55 on this game.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:41 AM   #109
msf518
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
I don't know if I want to waste $55 on this game.

You don't, just preorder it here for $34.97.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_lis...rmat=VIDEOGAME
msf518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:46 AM   #110
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Have you ordered from here before? It looks kind of suspect - the release date is incorrect.
how do you know?

Old 06-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #111
msf518
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Have you ordered from here before? It looks kind of suspect - the release date is incorrect.

I've ordered once before from here with no problem. With the release date, I assume the worse that could happen would be that the game comes on the real street date instead of the one posted.

Free shipping too, and no tax for me at least, which is a bonus.
msf518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The release date is an interesting point of debate on several sites. Apparently that date of 6/28 is reportedly the ship date, but the game has a hard street date of 7/12.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #113
CraigSca
Pro Starter

That seems really odd that it would ship two weeks before release. For what reason would they do that? Does July 12 have some magical quality that ties in with college football that I don't know about? Otherwise, wouldn't it make sense either to ship closer to the release date or releast soon after June 28th?
how do you know?

Old 06-20-2005, 03:13 PM   #114
Kodos
Resident Alien

I've done a good job of ignoring the hype this year. We'll see what people think of the game before I get it this year.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #115
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That seems really odd that it would ship two weeks before release. For what reason would they do that? Does July 12 have some magical quality that ties in with college football that I don't know about? Otherwise, wouldn't it make sense either to ship closer to the release date or releast soon after June 28th?

I don't know. To me it would make sense that they would release it within a day or two at max after getting it into game stores. The debate on various threads has pointed to the fact that EA wants a universal street date so they can try to set records for the biggest single day launch (ala Halo 2.) The rumors suggest that this is a new test for Madden to do the same thing.

However, I'm starting to question the ship date of 6/28 since it hasn't officially gone gold yet.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-20-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:38 PM   #116
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well..I'm hyped about it - even bought last year's Prima guide for $1.99 . If the game goes back to 2004 with the additional features and updated graphics, I'll be all over it.

NCAA is the only game I've ever had that I enjoy even when just watching the CPU play vs. itself. I'll sometimes just set up odd matchups to see what happens. My wife and parents think I'm nuts, but I just like playing what-ifs by setting up the game, watch real TV for a little bit, but then flip back to the game to get an update. I really, really love college football.

Is there anything better than waking up a bit late on a Saturday and knowing that the first games are just a couple hours away?!
how do you know?

Old 06-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #117
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Well..I'm hyped about it - even bought last year's Prima guide for $1.99 . If the game goes back to 2004 with the additional features and updated graphics, I'll be all over it.

NCAA is the only game I've ever had that I enjoy even when just watching the CPU play vs. itself. I'll sometimes just set up odd matchups to see what happens. My wife and parents think I'm nuts, but I just like playing what-ifs by setting up the game, watch real TV for a little bit, but then flip back to the game to get an update. I really, really love college football.

Is there anything better than waking up a bit late on a Saturday and knowing that the first games are just a couple hours away?!

Agreed. College Football (and Fall in General) is the best time of sports for the year. When you get a weekend that has meaningful college football, world series baseball, and NFL action, I consider myself in heaven.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NCAA 2006 EGM's game of the month:

http://img40.echo.cx/my.php?image=651nt.jpg
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:46 AM   #119
CraigSca
Pro Starter

According to "Bryan", the problem he had with last year's version was the visuals?! Good Lord, did he even play the game?

In watching a lot of the videos of gameplay, I see very few dropped passes - yay!

For some reason, this is the only game each year that gets a bug up my butt. I've been going to ign, gamespot, etc., for any news, video, screenshots. I couldn't really care less about new releases in general, but this is the one game that makes me feel like a 14 year old again, waiting for Christmas day to arrive.
how do you know?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 AM   #120
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The release date is an interesting point of debate on several sites. Apparently that date of 6/28 is reportedly the ship date, but the game has a hard street date of 7/12.

Yes, if you preordered the game they will ship it out early and you should receive it by 6/28. However, you're not allowed to actually open and play the game until 7/12, just as the stores aren't allowed to officially give the game to customers until then.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:44 AM   #121
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Yes, if you preordered the game they will ship it out early and you should receive it by 6/28. However, you're not allowed to actually open and play the game until 7/12, just as the stores aren't allowed to officially give the game to customers until then.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
According to "Bryan", the problem he had with last year's version was the visuals?! Good Lord, did he even play the game?

In watching a lot of the videos of gameplay, I see very few dropped passes - yay!

For some reason, this is the only game each year that gets a bug up my butt. I've been going to ign, gamespot, etc., for any news, video, screenshots. I couldn't really care less about new releases in general, but this is the one game that makes me feel like a 14 year old again, waiting for Christmas day to arrive.

Same here. I'm spending plenty of time at Maddenmania and operationsports for new tidbits - much more time than I usually spend at either place.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #123
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

The feature that's missing from NCAA is in-game saves. As bad as the receiving problems were in last year's game, if they just re-released NCAA 2005 with in-game saves, I'd pay for it. Yes, I'm a tool.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I hate that they don't have in-game saves. It prevents me from playing unless I know I have at least an hour and a half.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM   #125
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, anyone who has been viewing the various websites such as operationsports, maddenmania, etc know that there has been a great deal of speculation about the release date being moved up for NCAA 2006. Now, Prima Guides has made their guide for NCAA downloadable on the web (for 9.99 which I'm not paying.) I'm actually starting to believe that the game might be released a week or more before July 12th

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 06-26-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #126
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Does anyone remember how soon the strategy guide was out before release last year?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #127
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't remember, but most of the chatter on these sites say that it was only out a few days before the game (at most a week.)
Old 06-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #128
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Usually, EA will have a ticker up on the game's page saying "X days left!" There's no ticket this year. Maybe they have changed the date. How would we really know, though? I can't call the stores every days asking, "Got it yet? Got it yet? Got it yet?"

Can I?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Usually, EA will have a ticker up on the game's page saying "X days left!" There's no ticket this year. Maybe they have changed the date. How would we really know, though? I can't call the stores every days asking, "Got it yet? Got it yet? Got it yet?"

Can I?

I'm sure people on operationsports, maddenmania, etc will post when it is finally out. I'll be sure to post on here when I hear that from there. Also, I've pre-ordered so presumably the store will call me.

Also, many people are saying the lack of the a ticker (which has never been there this year and was there last year) is a sure sign that EA is going to move the release date up. Madden does have a ticker saying it is coming out August 9th.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #130
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Wow - lots of conspiracy theories . Heck, I'd love if it came out early, but I don't see why they'd do that. From what I've seen, the game will have very little competition on it's due date, so I don't see why releasing early would give them an advantage. In the long run, I can wait - in the short run I'll take it a few days early !
how do you know?

Old 06-27-2005, 09:41 AM   #131
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Damn this thread made me have a dream about the game being released early, and me playing it.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM   #132
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

And let me tell you, it was pretty freaking awesome.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #133
ahbrady
High School JV

Every year there is talk that this game, or just about any other game, will be released early, and it never is. Every year I get sucked into thinking maybe it will come out early this year. I'm trying to resist this year, but I guess I'm too optimistic.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #134
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I don't care about the release date this year, I am going to do my best to avoid getting it until the last weekend in July. For the last few years the release has been the 2nd Tuesday in July, no reason to think it is going to change this year.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #135
rexallllsc
Banned

It isn't listed as "Preorder" for xbox:

http://eastore.ea.com/shopping/brows...yword=ncaa2006
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #136
dervack
College Prospect

http://eastore.ea.com/jump.jsp?itemT...=13&iSubCat=13

NCAA® Football 2006
Get Free Shipping* when you preorder NCAA Football 2006 from the EA STORE. Just use coupon code "NCAA2006FS" during the checkout process.

It says right in the description for the Xbox version.

Last edited by dervack : 06-27-2005 at 03:00 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #137
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Oddly, on easports.com, the status has changed from "pre-order" to "limited" as of this morning. What the heck does that mean?!
how do you know?

Old 06-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #138
CraigSca
Pro Starter

dola - according to the site that means they have "limited supply" and the supply may run out by the time you order. Does that mean this puppy has been released?!
how do you know?

Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 AM   #139
ice4277
Pro Rookie

EBGames.com still lists the game's release for 7/11. I doubt it would come out this early.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #140
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I agree - just odd that the status would change on a day that many others have predicted will be the early release date.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 06-28-2005 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:07 AM   #141
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oddly, on easports.com, the status has changed from "pre-order" to "limited" as of this morning. What the heck does that mean?!

It's also listed as a "current" release for the ps2. Probably a typo.

http://eastore.ea.com/shopping/produ...ctID=1119&AS=1
Old 06-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #142
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

This is probably one of the most confusing release dates ever. I'm reading everywhere from today to July 12th. Not gonna get my hopes up, but damn I wish they would release it at the beginning of June so I can stop wishing away half of my summer.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:15 AM   #143
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
This is probably one of the most confusing release dates ever. I'm reading everywhere from today to July 12th. Not gonna get my hopes up, but damn I wish they would release it at the beginning of June so I can stop wishing away half of my summer.

Just called the Game Stop I reserved at...they said it's still July 12th, but to come on July 11th at 10 PM to get in line for the midnight release.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #144
moriarty
College Starter

I havent' gone through the whole thread (so sorry if this has been posted), but Operations Sports has their hands on a copy and are doing a Q&A (dated 6/28).

http://previews.operationsports.com/...ncaafb2006xbox
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #145
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NCAA 2006 for $34.97 + free shipping! Heck of a deal.. and I just might have to order it now.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/videogames....t=&cAlphaNum=N
Old 06-28-2005, 12:43 PM   #146
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Everyone at maddenmania is saying they've called their Sam Goody's and the people are telling them it's being released today or tomorrow and that they're getting it in their shipments at 2. Guess we'll know in a couple horus or so if the release is being pushed up.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #147
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
Everyone at maddenmania is saying they've called their Sam Goody's and the people are telling them it's being released today or tomorrow and that they're getting it in their shipments at 2. Guess we'll know in a couple horus or so if the release is being pushed up.

Called mine for shits and giggles and they said it's shipping tomorrow and should be in sometime this week. Wierd..

I still want to hear some impressions first from some of you. I'm not making that 2005 mistake again.

Todd
Old 06-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #148
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Called mine for shits and giggles and they said it's shipping tomorrow and should be in sometime this week. Wierd..

I still want to hear some impressions first from some of you. I'm not making that 2005 mistake again.

Todd

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I thought 2005 was ok. Granted I got it in December with my X-box and am not a big football guy to boot, but I found the game enjoyable nonetheless.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #149
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24
I guess I'm in the minority when I say I thought 2005 was ok. Granted I got it in December with my X-box and am not a big football guy to boot, but I found the game enjoyable nonetheless.

Too many friggin dropped passes for my taste.. that after a stellar version 2004.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #150
rexallllsc
Banned

This is the only console game that I still get "weird" about near the release.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote