Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #101
henry296
College Starter

As for Burress, despite his height and speed and he is not good at the jump ball... The best example was in the AFC title game on the fade pattern near the goal line. It don't think he has great hands. I am not too sad to see him go, especially if the Steelers take a WR in Rounds 1 or 2.

Todd
Old 03-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #102
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
What I like is that Plaxico's departure will help my man Antwaan Randle El move into a starting role.

Sorry, I think you mean my man Lee Mays...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:17 PM   #103
wishbone
High School JV

49ers have signed Jonas Jennings to play LT

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #104
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Sounds like the Seahawks' Ken Lucas has signed with the Panthers
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #105
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

"Dallas also got free-agent help for the offensive line with Rivera.

Rivera, who had played 10 seasons for the Packers, is a two-time Pro Bowl selection at guard who has played in 99 straight games. He has signed to a five-year deal worth about $21 million, including a $9 million signing bonus. His salary will count for $2.6 million against cap this season."

He may be a good player, but Dallas overpaid for that one. 5 yr, $21 mil, $9 mil bonus for a 33 yr old guard? Didn't we learn our lesson with Larry Allen? Oh well, looks like Bill is loading up for a final run.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #106
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
Sounds like the Seahawks' Ken Lucas has signed with the Panthers

Grabbed this from KFFL.

Quote:
Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Carolina Panthers have agreed to terms with CB Ken Lucas (Seahawks) on a contract. KFFL has learned Lucas has agreed to a six-year deal with the team. Complete financial details have yet to be disclosed, but the deal is believed to average $8 million per year over the first two years. The deal is also believed to have a split bonus and will total $13.5 to $14 million over those two years in bonus money.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #107
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Rivera, who had played 10 seasons for the Packers, is a two-time Pro Bowl selection at guard who has played in 99 straight games. He has signed to a five-year deal worth about $21 million, including a $9 million signing bonus. His salary will count for $2.6 million against cap this season."

He may be a good player, but Dallas overpaid for that one. 5 yr, $21 mil, $9 mil bonus for a 33 yr old guard? Didn't we learn our lesson with Larry Allen? Oh well, looks like Bill is loading up for a final run.

Update from Pasq, "the Dallas Cowboys have signed free agent G Marco Rivera (Packers) to a five-year, $20 million contract that includes a $9 million signing bonus. The deal is worth $13.5 million over its first three seasons."

It fills a need and Rivera is a good blocker. The deal doesn't sound too bad if the Cowboys need to cut him after 3 years.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #108
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

I'm a Packers fan and I agree with this assessment wholeheartedly. I love Rivera, but that bonus is crazy.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #109
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Rivera contract does look bad compared to what Wahle signed for. I would have figured Wahle would have gotten more money as some teams can see him being able to be a good LT.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #110
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Damn, GB was "considering" giving him a $3.5-$4 million bonus but was hesitant to even go that high. I think people need to understand that the OL system in GB (by Larry Beightol) is a big reason for the play of the individuals - much like with the old Denver teams. There's a reason why guys like Verba have disappointed their new teams after being signed for large FA deals and I expect a similar level of "value dis-satisfaction" for Rivera and Wahle's new teams after their huge deals.

GB didn't have one first round pick on their line in 2004, as they had a 2nd (Clifton), 2nd Supplementary (Wahle), 3rd (Flanagan), 7th (Tauscher) and 6th (Rivera). Even their main backups were late round or undrafted - Scott Wells (7th round), Curtain (6th round) and Kevin Barry (undrafted). So, I would be about as leary with GB OL as you would be with Denver RBs in free agency. Their system seems to be a main reason for their success on the OL, not any given player.

Last edited by Arles : 03-03-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:27 PM   #111
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Rivera contract does look bad compared to what Wahle signed for. I would have figured Wahle would have gotten more money as some teams can see him being able to be a good LT.
He failed miserably as a tackle in GB. He's a nice guard though. Still, any team that pays him as a tackle will probably end up with an overpaid guard after a season.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #112
korme
Go Reds

Unrestricted veteran wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh agreed to a four-year, $13 million deal with the Bengals.

Cool. He makes for a good 3rd option, with Warrick hopefully coming back into the picture healthy this year.

Palmer should have plenty of weapons - Warrick, Houshmandzadeh, Kelley Washington, and of course Chad "Didn't Drop A Ball in Honolulu During That Hands Contest Thing Even Though He Didn't Warm Up" Johnson.

I just want a shirt that says Houshmandzadeh on it
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #113
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

from KFFL

ESPNews reports the St. Louis Rams have signed free agent LB Chris Claiborne (Vikings) to a three-year, $10.5 million contract.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #114
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yikes - Dallas is dishing out the bonus money. I suppose they have it to spend, but still...
Old 03-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #115
mckerney
Coordinator

Burress Interested In Vikings

Reportedly Burress and Taylor both contacted the Vikings first rather than the Vikings pursueing them.

Last edited by mckerney : 03-03-2005 at 06:34 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #116
General Mike
Pro Starter

when the f are the giants gonna sign an OL?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:03 PM   #117
Travis
Pro Rookie

DAMMIT, I wanted Lucas back. Looks like our secondary will feature another rookie for the 3rd year in a row. Wonder if this means they'll resign Okeafor.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #118
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

the Jets sign Derrick Blaylock to a five-year, $11.1 million deal that includes a $3.2 million signing bonus.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #119
Pyser
Pro Rookie

giants cut ike hilliard.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #120
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser
giants cut ike hilliard.

Thank god.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 03-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #121
Pyser
Pro Rookie

now if we'd only cut will allen.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #122
Pyser
Pro Rookie

WR Patten has left the pats for the skins.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:36 PM   #123
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Broncos signed Ian Gold to a 5 year $22.5 million deal with a $8.5 mil signing bonus and they resigned Ben Hamilton to 5 year $16.25 mil deal with a $5.5 mil signing bonus.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:27 AM   #124
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Since the Chiefs appear to be the team to watch (written as of 8:30pm last night)...

Give the Kansas City Chiefs credit for one thing. They’ve been making a name for themselves in free agency despite the fact they’ve yet to sign anyone. In a matter of one hour they were talking contracts with three players and welcoming another visitor to Arrowhead. After analyzing the last two hours, we think we might have our fingers on the pulse of the things to come from Arrowhead in the next twenty four hours.

With Jeremiah Trotter, Ed Hartwell and Samari Rolle in town, the Chiefs wined, dined and entertained three of the top free agents in the 2005 class. After spending nearly 24 hours in town, the Chiefs put on the hard sell to all three veterans. Both Hartwell and Trotter were scheduled to leave town at 3:00 but that changed when agents started getting involved.

Trotter was on the phone with his agent Jimmy Sexton. Hartwell was conferring with his agent Harold Lewis and the action was hot and heavy. Both were secluded in parts of Arrowhead. Sometime between that time and 6:00 Trotter left without a contract offer to his liking. According to what we’ve been able to piece together, Trotter was looking for a double digit signing bonus.

Antonio Pierce who left Washington for the New York Giants signed a six-year $26 million contract that included a $6.5 million signing bonus. The Chiefs were believed to be offering roughly the same deal. Sexton was looking for a signing bonus closer to $10-11 million for Trotter.

He left Arrowhead without a contract and told reporters that he intended to make a couple more visits. Those visits could include Seattle and Atlanta. But some insist that if the knees are sound that the Eagles might get back into the race and retain their top linebacker.

An hour before Trotter left, Samari Rolle and his wife left Kansas City and headed to the airport. They were driven by Chiefs Head Coach Dick Vermeil. Rolle talked with reporters before he left and indicated that he was not planning on making any other visits and planned to go home tomorrow to celebrate his daughters birthday. He was also very clear that he had not visited the Washington Redskins who were rumored to be one of the front runners to sign the former Tennessee Titans cornerback.

He made it clear that he wants to make up his mind by Friday as to where he’ll play next season. So with no visits scheduled, that could lead some to conclude that Rolle is hopeful that a deal can get done with Kansas City.

Ed Hartwell as of this hour is still in Kansas City. His agent who considers Vermeil one of the NFL’s greatest head coaches was trying to secure a deal that would make Hartwell a Chief.

The Chiefs made offers to all three free agents but they were hardly resting on their laurels. In the midst of contract talks with all three players, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Kendrell Bell was making his way toward Arrowhead for his interview with Gunther Cunningham and Dick Vermeil.

Bell was the star of the Pittsburgh Steelers four man linebacking crew but injuries have plagued him the last two seasons. But he along with Hartwell would solidify the Chiefs linebacker corps and would bridge the gap until Shawn Barber returns midway through the 2005 season.

Warpaint Illustrated did learn this afternoon that they are expecting Safety Sammy Knight in for a visit as early as Monday. The Chiefs would like to add a veteran safety in free agency and they’d like to find someone who can compete with incumbent starter Jerome Woods. The Chiefs were not pleased with Woods last season and they’ve already indicated that they want to upgrade the position or add depth.

With all that said, things at Arrowhead are quiet. But that could change in a heartbeat. I won’t lean either way but I’d say the Chiefs could have two new additions to their defense in the next 24 hours.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated for the latest Chiefs free agent news.

I was listening to a KC sports radio show last night and they interviewed both Hartwell and Rolle. Hartwell was asked if he was going to be a Chief next year and his response was "I look forward to it." Rumour has it that an announcemnt will be made today.

Rolle was interviewed afterwards. He stated that he wasnt going anywhere else to visit, that he was going home and then to a birthday party Saturday. He said he wanted to have everything done by Friday. Rolle also said he wants to win football games and get back to being with a succussful team. The interviewer asked him if he knew about the KC offense, Rolle's reply was pretty much who doesnt and then he went on to say that the D is a few peices away from a succussful puzzle. He was also very clear that he had not visited the Washington Redskins.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #125
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I wouldn't touch Trotter with a ten foot pole for the money he's looking for.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 03-04-2005 at 08:29 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #126
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Jumping in here late, but actually the Cowboys cutting Dexter Coakley gives me a little bit of hope that they will take Derrick Johnson in the draft and not pass him over.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #127
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Jumping in here late, but actually the Cowboys cutting Dexter Coakley gives me a little bit of hope that they will take Derrick Johnson in the draft and not pass him over.

You're nuts if you think Johnson is going to be available at No. 11.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #128
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Yeah, I'm very skeptical that the Vikes will have a shot at him with #7.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #129
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Unrestricted veteran wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh agreed to a four-year, $13 million deal with the Bengals.

Cool. He makes for a good 3rd option, with Warrick hopefully coming back into the picture healthy this year.

Palmer should have plenty of weapons - Warrick, Houshmandzadeh, Kelley Washington, and of course Chad "Didn't Drop A Ball in Honolulu During That Hands Contest Thing Even Though He Didn't Warm Up" Johnson.

I just want a shirt that says Houshmandzadeh on it

At that price, TJ's #2 and he earned it last season.

Warrick will not be in stripes next season. Not at his cap price.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:57 PM   #130
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Yeah, I'm very skeptical that the Vikes will have a shot at him with #7.

He's who I hope the Vikings can get, but I doubt they'll be able to land him at 7. Hopefully at least Pac Man Jones will be available.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #131
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Trotter sticks with Eagles:

The seven-year veteran will sign a five-year contract worth $15 million and including a signing bonus of $4 million.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:17 PM   #132
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar

That's what I was thinking as well, but most of the mock drafts I've seen have him falling all the way to the Texans. I'm figuring he'll go in the Top 5, but who knows.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #133
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
WR Patten has left the pats for the skins.

Details are "David Patten's contract with the Redskins is for five years, $13 million, with $3.5 million up front."

Drew Brees has signed his franchise tender.

KFFL is saying that the Giants sign Kareem McKenzie to a 7 year $37.75 million deal with a $12.5 mil signing bonus.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #134
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
That's what I was thinking as well, but most of the mock drafts I've seen have him falling all the way to the Texans. I'm figuring he'll go in the Top 5, but who knows.

The majority of the latest mocks I've seen (all post-combine) have the Browns taking Johnson with the #3 pick.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #135
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
The majority of the latest mocks I've seen (all post-combine) have the Browns taking Johnson with the #3 pick.
What are they going to do for a QB?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #136
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
What are they going to do for a QB?

They like Kelly Holcomb and supposedly want him to be their starter.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #137
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Oh, Romeo.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #138
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I've heard if they can't get a deal with Holcomb, they're looking into Trent Dilfer...
Old 03-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #139
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Drickman
They like Kelly Holcomb and supposedly want him to be their starter.

Not a bad idea. In Madden we did a 6 team fantasy draft round robin + playoffs. Thinking like the Pats, I stacked my D, got a horse of a RB (Shaun mfn Alexander), quick receivers, and with the last pick in the draft, selected my QB Kelly Holcomb. Throws a nice short pass, fitting my style.

Needless to say we went 5-0, then went through 2 rounds in the playoffs to sweep everyone and take the $25 pot. Holcomb lead the league in QB rating.

Thank you, Kelly Holcomb.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #140
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Not a bad idea. In Madden we did a 6 team fantasy draft round robin + playoffs. Thinking like the Pats, I stacked my D, got a horse of a RB (Shaun mfn Alexander), quick receivers, and with the last pick in the draft, selected my QB Kelly Holcomb. Throws a nice short pass, fitting my style.

Needless to say we went 5-0, then went through 2 rounds in the playoffs to sweep everyone and take the $25 pot. Holcomb lead the league in QB rating.

Thank you, Kelly Holcomb.

You should report this to Holcomb's agent immediately.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:45 PM   #141
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
KFFL is saying that the Giants sign Kareem McKenzie to a 7 year $37.75 million deal with a $12.5 mil signing bonus.

mark my words. worst signing of the off-season.

that is STUPID money for a freakin right tackle. for that money, we couldve got a much better left tackle, and moved petigout over to rt.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #142
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Jets have signed DT Lance Legree to a 5 year $7.3 million deal with an addition $2.5 mil in incentives.

The Jets have also signed restricted FA TE Jeb Putzier of the Broncos to a 5 year $12.5 million offer sheet with $2.5 mil signing bonus. The Broncos have 7 days to match the offer or will be given a 6th round draft pick.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #143
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

The Seahawks have released LB Anthony Simmons.

Saw the following in an article by Len Pasquarelli, "University of Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson is the consensus top prospect at his position, and most teams agree he will be off the draft board by the middle of the first round. But a few scouts worry that Johnson is a "run-around" defender, a pursuit guy who doesn't take on blocks well and sheds poorly."

Any thoughts on the "run-around" defender bit?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #144
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
DAMMIT, I wanted Lucas back. Looks like our secondary will feature another rookie for the 3rd year in a row. Wonder if this means they'll resign Okeafor.

I had a nasty feeling all offseason that with all the talk of the "big 3" of Jones, Hasselbeck and Alexander that Lucas was being overlooked. Given his comments today about the signing, I'm not sure the 'Hawks ever had a realistic shot at him.

With the number of unrestricted FA's left on the Seahawks plate, it'll be real interesting to see how they deal with the obvious holes in the secondary and at LB now that they've released Simmons and Robinson.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #145
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
mark my words. worst signing of the off-season.

that is STUPID money for a freakin right tackle. for that money, we couldve got a much better left tackle, and moved petigout over to rt.

What LT could we have gotten that is better for the same money?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 03-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #146
Travis
Pro Rookie

Best part for the Hawks is the rumors going around that they may cut Brown as well if they can't reach an agreement on restructuring his contract.

Good thing we're so deep at LB, hey, wait a minute...
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #147
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cap update

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ohn&id=1510617

Hmmm, the Cowboys still have $11 mil under the cap....
Old 03-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #148
Franklinnoble
Banned

Does that include the rookie pool?

Lots of teams with millions left over... not sure how significant that is at this point, though.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:49 PM   #149
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I believe it would not include whatever money needs to be set aside for rookies.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #150
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
What LT could we have gotten that is better for the same money?

jennings signed with SF for a similar deal, didnt he? same with whichever packer went to carolina.