Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, I have to do some errands which have been delayed for oh.. about 45 minutes while I catch up on the board. As a result, I probably won't be playing til 6 or 6:30 at which time I need to get a little bit familiar with the controls before I play anyone. However, I'm off this weekend and expect to be looking for some of you on there Saturday or Sunday.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #102
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Any thoughts on the Franchise aspects of the game ? That's one of the things that interests me a lot.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Alright, I know I *really* should be doing some stuff that I promised my wife I would get done around the house by the time she got off work tonight, but I opened the box...

I also know that sports console games don't usually have thick instruction manuals, but this appears to be one of the thinnest shortest instructional manuals that I've ever seen with a sports console game.

Anyone know of any more detailed manual on the net?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:22 PM   #104
SackAttack
Head Coach

you don't really need a more detailed manual, Eaglesfan. Everything you need to do in MVP, it explains in that manual. It's mostly just a matter of remembering by repetition. Like, I still inadvertently send all my runners when I just want to send one, which has led to more than a few double and triple plays.

Oops.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #105
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll have some free time tomorrow. Look me up foos!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #106
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Alright, I know I *really* should be doing some stuff that I promised my wife I would get done around the house by the time she got off work tonight, but I opened the box...

I also know that sports console games don't usually have thick instruction manuals, but this appears to be one of the thinnest shortest instructional manuals that I've ever seen with a sports console game.

Anyone know of any more detailed manual on the net?

I just got the game on PS2 and I agree, the manual is pathetic.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #107
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I keep the manual by my side during the game.

I'm now 0-7 and the front office told me my job is in jeopardy. Washington, here I come!!

Todd
Old 02-25-2005, 09:01 PM   #108
RGunner
High School JV

my xbox live gamer tag is kevo0522 if u see me on challenge me to a game should be on either later tonight or tomorrow for sure
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:06 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm finally about to play. I'm planning on just practicing tonight, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts from people who tried the owner mode. It sounds more in-depth, but is only limited to 30 seasons (as opposed to Dynasty mode which has 120 seasons.) Then again, I doubt I would ever get through 30 seasons. Anyone have any impressions of owner mode?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The big drawback of owner mode is you HAVE to design a stadium at the beginning.

I'm now 0-8 after a Pujols bomb ties the game at 3, I lost in the 10th on a Carlos Lee double. Arghhh!! Maybe I should bump it down to Pro?

Todd
Old 02-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
The big drawback of owner mode is you HAVE to design a stadium at the beginning.

I'm now 0-8 after a Pujols bomb ties the game at 3, I lost in the 10th on a Carlos Lee double. Arghhh!! Maybe I should bump it down to Pro?

Todd

I think it would be more realistic that you have to build up money to renovate/build a stadium, but I am looking forward to building a stadium that would cater to the type of team that I want. Therefore, this isn't that big of a drawback for me. Any other thoughts about owner mode?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #112
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it would be more realistic that you have to build up money to renovate/build a stadium, but I am looking forward to building a stadium that would cater to the type of team that I want. Therefore, this isn't that big of a drawback for me. Any other thoughts about owner mode?

Yeah, but you're using a big league ball club. Seems kind of pointless to me. I want to play in Busch Stadium, not some podunk stadium. I think you can change stadiums before each game, but then again I'll just play on dynasty mode and not worry about it.

I'm not meaning to sound negative, but why isn't there an option to use your exsisting stadium? Maybe you can build a new one in the future years down the road.. but then again unless you sim many of your games, you'll never see 30 years I guess.

I'm also anxious to see how MLB 2006 stacks up. The idea of a true manage only mode, ala High Heat has me very excited. Hitting has been fun so far in MVP, but I still suck big time. I'm hoping moving down to Pro won't make pitching too easy for me as on All-Star it's about perfect.

If you choose owner mode, let us know what you think EF!

Todd
Old 02-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but you're using a big league ball club. Seems kind of pointless to me. I want to play in Busch Stadium, not some podunk stadium. I think you can change stadiums before each game, but then again I'll just play on dynasty mode and not worry about it.

I'm not meaning to sound negative, but why isn't there an option to use your exsisting stadium? Maybe you can build a new one in the future years down the road.. but then again unless you sim many of your games, you'll never see 30 years I guess.

I'm also anxious to see how MLB 2006 stacks up. The idea of a true manage only mode, ala High Heat has me very excited. Hitting has been fun so far in MVP, but I still suck big time. I'm hoping moving down to Pro won't make pitching too easy for me as on All-Star it's about perfect.

If you choose owner mode, let us know what you think EF!

Todd

I'm still debating, but I think I will try owner mode tomorrow. I agree with you that I really would prefer to play in the Phillies new ball park and it would be nice if keeping the current ballpark was an option. But from reading the review on Gamespot (which gave it a 8.9), I like some of the features of owner mode. I do wish it was 120 years like Dynasty Mode, but I think I understand the reasoning. If I somehow finish it, I can always try a dynasty mode afterwards
Old 02-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A few very early thoughts:

The hitting mini-game is quite fun, except when you are in Round 5 with a good shot to set a record and you hit a freaking vortex (despite hitting the ball the direction you were supposed to) and get a -700 points on one shot..

I wish you could do the swing analysis in the hitting mini-game.

I hope my improvement in the hitting mini-game carries over to the real games.

Todd, I look forward to hearing about the manage only mode in MLB 2006. I would love to see a successor in the High Heat mold.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:05 AM   #115
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really like the music that is included with the game.

I prefer the hitting mini-game to the pitching mini-game.

I prefer the untimed pitching game to the timed one.

I lost my first exhibition game to the Devil Rays, 4-0. Mark Hendrickson struck out 9 and only allowed me to get 7 hits. I would have scored at least 1 run, but I accidently sent my guy back to third just before he crossed home. Of course, I had meant to send the guy on 2nd towards 3rd...

Fun game. I want to play one more mini-game or one more exhibition game despite the fact that I really should catch up on some sleep. I'm playing on All-star level currently (where I set the record for the mini-hitting game using Jim Thome.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-26-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:14 AM   #116
SackAttack
Head Coach

Woo. I'm home from work, and I intend to dedicate tonight and tomorrow to MVP on Live. If anybody's up for a game, look me up. I'm Rincewind!
Old 02-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I keep missing you Sack...

Todd
Old 02-26-2005, 11:58 AM   #118
jbmagic
Pro Starter

just get ICQ or AIM

this way you wil know when there online and you can message them your ready to play.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 12:34 PM   #119
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
just get ICQ or AIM

this way you wil know when there online and you can message them your ready to play.

Xbox Live will show you if your friends are online or not. In any case, I'm "boocake" on there folks!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #120
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Xbox Live will show you if your friends are online or not. In any case, I'm "boocake" on there folks!

i meant online on the internet. then you can talk on icq or Aim, etc and then meet on xbox live..
Old 02-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #121
SackAttack
Head Coach

Just finished playing a few games on Live. WHY WERE NONE OF YOU ONLINE? Or at least those of you on my buddy list. The rest of you are excused.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #122
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Just finished playing a few games on Live. WHY WERE NONE OF YOU ONLINE? Or at least those of you on my buddy list. The rest of you are excused.

Are you on right now? bout to get on I'll play you, havent played one game of it but should be exciting. my gamertag is kevo0522 just challenge me ill be on in a few minutes
Old 02-26-2005, 02:13 PM   #123
SackAttack
Head Coach

Sure thing. I'll be up there in just a minute. My Gamertag is Rincewind.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #124
RGunner
High School JV

Alright, logging on now, take it easy on me
Old 02-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #125
RGunner
High School JV

I officially suck at this game so far, gunna do some stuff I'll be back on later
Old 02-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #126
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm not crazy about the hitting mini-game so far. It doesn't make any sense to me that an outside pitch that I try to drive to right should be a long pop foul to left, and I don't like that a ball you're GAINING points for will be cut off before it can hit one of the bonus point items, but if you hit a vortex, it'll let it go as far back as possible before it returns you to the plate.

Grr.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Hey, I won a game vs the CPU!

I restarted my franchise with some updated rosters, which were a product of the new EA update.

Won against Roger Clemens for my first AS level victory. The game was close, but for some reason I got into a "zone" in the 6th inning and scored 2 more runs to take a 3-0 lead.

Todd
Old 02-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #128
SackAttack
Head Coach

Todd - I'm eating lunch right now, but if you're gonna be on in 10-15 minutes, maybe we can finally jam.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:59 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hey, I won a game vs the CPU!

I restarted my franchise with some updated rosters, which were a product of the new EA update.

Won against Roger Clemens for my first AS level victory. The game was close, but for some reason I got into a "zone" in the 6th inning and scored 2 more runs to take a 3-0 lead.

Todd

How many games did it take?

I've lost 5 total exhibition games to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays (twice), Detroit Tigers, and Kansas City Royals (twice). As a result, I'm starting to consider dorpping down to Pro level. However, like you I like the pitching meter at All-Star Level.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:11 PM   #130
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Todd - I'm eating lunch right now, but if you're gonna be on in 10-15 minutes, maybe we can finally jam.

Ahh shoot! Friend came over with PC to fix. I'll be on here and there throughout the night though.

EF, it took me 9 games to win 1.. HAHA!!

I just lost 3-2 against Oswalt and the Astros bullpen. I really like the way the CPU does the little things like bunting a hitter over to 2nd base, double switches, etc. Errors also seem just about right. One thing you HAVE to do when hitting, make sure all distractions are either - asleep (kids) or out of the house - I have to get that "zone" thing going on.

I like the pitching too much on All Star, although I guess you could bat on Pro and pitch on AS? I really think MVP just takes time and patience. A friend of mine can hit like crazy on AS and plays on MVP level. Go figure.

Todd
Old 02-26-2005, 05:18 PM   #131
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Is there some sort of prospect rating? How does 1 tell the difference between the 75 minor league players?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #132
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I bought the game today in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. I will be back home in about 18 hours. If I'm feeling awake when I reach the house, I'm going to give this game a run. I can't wait!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:24 PM   #133
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I bought the game today in Greensburg, Pennsylvania. I will be back home in about 18 hours. If I'm feeling awake when I reach the house, I'm going to give this game a run. I can't wait!

Wow, you really wanted that game, huh?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #134
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I switched back to Hitter's eye as opposed to center view and suddenly I'm able to hit better. Not great, but well enough to eek out my first 1-0 win against the Pirates!

Oliver Perez had a nasty fastball, but Rollins got a seeing eye single, stole second. Then, Polanco hit a deep fly to right field to move him to third. Finally Bobby hit a deep fly to right to bring him home. Randy Wolf pitched great for 8 innings. Then, for the first time ever I used Billy Wagner. Wow! Wolf is fun to pitch with using his curve, knuckle curve, slider, and fastball. But, Wagner was so much more fun. It was great to just blow the fastball by the hitters. I made a mistake with one pitch, but it was 99 MPH and the hitter just couldn't catch it. 3 strikeouts secured the 1-0 win I had 8 hits scattered throughout the game which is my best tally yet. I also had my first 2 walks.

I'm getting closer to starting my owner's career mode.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:46 PM   #135
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Wow, you really wanted that game, huh?

You busted me.

Old 02-26-2005, 06:49 PM   #136
jbmagic
Pro Starter

are you guys seeing walks in the game?
Old 02-26-2005, 06:56 PM   #137
SackAttack
Head Coach

jbmagic, yes, but you have to be patient. If you swing at the first pitch a lot, you'll seldom walk because the computer isn't as prone to missing the strike zone if it's pitching ahead in the count.

If you go up 2-0 in the count, you'll walk frequently, I've noticed. The rest of the time it's just patience and fouling off pitches you don't like.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:24 PM   #138
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
are you guys seeing walks in the game?

The biggest thing I've done to improving my hitting is almost always taking the 1st pitch. If it is a ball, it definitely helps me get walks and more hits. I just finished a game against the Astros and Clemens. I lost 2-0 due to a 2 run homer from Berkman, but I managed to get 7 hits and 2 walks against Clemens. Unfortunately, I hit into 3 double plays as well. Darn Thome is slow.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #139
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

How is the CPU at drawing walks?
Old 02-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #140
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
How is the CPU at drawing walks?
I think really good IF you make bad pitches and/or pitch around a player, and the player in question has a good plate discipline level. If the plate discipline level isn't so good, than the player is unlikely to get a walk (at least in my somewhat limited experience with the game.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-26-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:23 PM   #141
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I think really good IF you make bad pitches and/or pitch around a player, and the player in question has a good plate discipline level. If the plate discipline level isn't so good, than the player is unlikely to get a walk (at least in my somewhat limited experience with the game.)

That's the key, yeah. You have to either pitch out of the zone, or have shit control, since there aren't as many foul balls in console baseball games as there are in real life.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yep, this game plays perfect out of the box on All Star for me. I just lost 11-3 in my home opener vs the Phillies. Morris just didn't have his stuff today, just like real life. There is an option called "variable stuff" that I think makes it so your star players can have "off" days, if you will.

Hitter's eye is a MUST for me, I love that view. If you own a console or a pc and don't have this game, you're missing out on a tight baseball game. They've added a TON of little things this year.

I use the 6/1 view and I love it. Pitching is harder from that view without me having to turn the cursor completely off. I have it on fade, which is necessary for nibbling the corners.. for me at least.

My wife is starting to wonder if I'm ever going to change my clothes and shave my beard. hahaha..lol!

Todd
Old 02-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #143
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I swear this game is doing some crazy things. I had a triple, the announcers called it a triple, yet I have no triples in my stats.

I'm playing dynasty mode, I've played out 6 games with the Blue Jays. I know I have more then 3 CS, I've been trying to figure out how to run the bases, yet in my stats say only 3 CS.

The dynasty mode is good, but the lineups and roster management is so clunky that it takes a lot of the fun out of it.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I use the 6/1 view and I love it. Pitching is harder from that view without me having to turn the cursor completely off. I have it on fade, which is necessary for nibbling the corners.. for me at least.

My wife is starting to wonder if I'm ever going to change my clothes and shave my beard. hahaha..lol!

Todd

Thanks for the tip on the 6/1 view. I just used it for the first time this last game, and it adds to the game perfectly. Pitching was actually becoming too easy even on the all-star level, and with this view and a fade cursor pitching feels like the perfect level of challenge for me. Hitting is still a problem for me though, but hopefully it will come around. I did just hit my first homer ever in a game thanks to Thome ripping one down the right field line.

I also think the 6/1 pitching angle looks cooler too.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:44 PM   #145
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the 6/1 view. I just used it for the first time this last game, and it adds to the game perfectly. Pitching was actually becoming too easy even on the all-star level, and with this view and a fade cursor pitching feels like the perfect level of challenge for me. Hitting is still a problem for me though, but hopefully it will come around. I did just hit my first homer ever in a game thanks to Thome ripping one down the right field line.

I also think the 6/1 pitching angle looks cooler too.

Glad you like it. With having the hot/cold zones turned off, that adds to the pitching toughness. I'm telling you, I've had shutouts, 1 run games, games where I've given up 11 runs, 8 runs, 9 runs, etc.. the variety is what's keeping me glued to this game. My hitting is getting much better, but my pitching is falling off at the same time. My baserunning is a bit too aggressive as well.

Todd
Old 02-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Glad you like it. With having the hot/cold zones turned off, that adds to the pitching toughness. I'm telling you, I've had shutouts, 1 run games, games where I've given up 11 runs, 8 runs, 9 runs, etc.. the variety is what's keeping me glued to this game. My hitting is getting much better, but my pitching is falling off at the same time. My baserunning is a bit too aggressive as well.

Todd

Yeah, I just had my first big offensive outburst against the Rockies top pitcher. At the same time, Randy Wolf had his roughest outing giving up 3 runs in 4 innings. Fortunately, my long relief worked well and I won 5-3 I'm starting to realize my offensive ineptitude may have been due to all of the tough pitchers I've faced.

As a result, I'm going to stop playing exhibition games and start my owner mode career. Since my wife is on her way home from work, I'll be starting that tomorrow

How good is that downloadable roster you linked earlier in the thread? I want Bonds and others to have their real names but I don't necessarily want to modify them myself.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #147
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

I'm having a really hard time stealing with any success. Anyone have any tips on how to get a good jump?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #148
SackAttack
Head Coach

Try leading off.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:02 AM   #149
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Try leading off.

How do you do that? I don't see instructions in the manual for leading off specifically.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:14 AM   #150
jbmagic
Pro Starter

MizzouRah

this game sounds great..

only have a pc, but that stuttering news is scaring me to get it for the pc

if there a new patch that fix it, i will get it in a heartbeat.