Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2005, 08:57 PM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

15 minute mark: Gardner gets the ball at midfield.. dribbles between two defenders.. passes it to Kelly in the box.. Kelly immediately passes it back to Gardner by the left post.. Gardner kicks it into the upper left corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

Up 1-0 at the half.. Our defense is playing very well.

53 minute mark: Kelly passes it to Gardner on the edge of the box.. he passes it to Soares on the right corner of the box.. Soares shoots.. the keeper tips it over the bar.

54 minute mark: cooke intercepts it.. great pass to Gardner between two defenders.. Gardner shoots.. powerful shot from 25 yards... right over the keeper's left shoulder.. GOAL!!!! 2-0.

71 minute mark: Baker has picked up a small injury.. I decide to sub him out and put Barnett in. Gardner is tired, I decide to put M. Davies in for him.

Game over. 2-0 win!

We outshot them 8-4 (3-0 on goal)

Gardner won Mom, but he is one of 9 players to have an 8 for form (including new addition Stephen Cooke).

Gardner's line: 19 of 22 passes, 3 of 3 tackles, 0 of 5 headers, 3 interceptions, 3 runs, 2 goals.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

Mr. Fotherby informed me that he is thrilled with this win. We are now in 19th place and just out of the relegation zone. Mr. Fotherby has told me that if I manage to keep the team from being relegated this year, it will be one of my best managing jobs yet.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sep. 29, 2008 -

Wigan (22nd in Championship) are offering 110,000 dollars for Richard O'connor. I'm not letting the 19 year old keeper go if I can help it, so I tell them no. Hopefully, O'connor doesn't become upset.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 1, 2008 -

Craig Gardner has won English League One Player of the Month. Adam Chambers of Cambridge came in 2nd, and John Dempster of Bournemouth came in 3rd.

Bournemouth's James Coutts has won young player of the month. Matthew Gillston of MKD came in 2nd, and Danny Reid of Bournemouth came in 3rd.

Norwich's Colin Calderwood has won Manager of the Month. Herve Renard of Cambridge came in 2nd, and Steve Cotterill of Burnley came in 3rd.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 8, 2008 -

Barnett suffered a lower back sprain today and is expected to miss a few weeks.

Mike Davies twisted his knee during practice and will about a week.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #106
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct 11, 2008 -

We are currently in 19th place. Today we host Cambridge which is currently 1st in League One. Cambridge has relied heavily on star striker Daniel Chillingworth. However, Chillingworth broke his collarbone in practice the other day and will miss about a month. Left Fullback Gael Suares is a powerful defender. Midfielder Thomas Pinault is a talented and will be a difficult player to contain. Centreback Aime Lavie is also quite skilled at shutting down the opposition. Keeper Pierre Bouysse is average at best, and if we can get past the defense, we should be able to score.

We've never played them before.

They are even odds favorites.

It's overcast with temperatures in the mid 40's.

GK: O'Connor
DL: Barnard
DC: Wall
DC: McShane
DR: Black
ML: Wright
MC: Cooke
MR: Soares
AMC: Gardner
SC: Smyth
SC: Kelly (hopefully he can play this Forward spot well too.)

S1: Scarsella
S2: Hawkins
S3: Surey
S4: Palmer
S5: Baker
Old 02-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #107
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

16 minute mark: Wall with a brilliant defensive play.

18 minute mark: Kelly with a great dribble between two defenders.. his shot is blocked by the centreback.

23 minute mark: Pinault gets a good shot on goal from 15 yards, but O'connor saves it.

24 minute mark: Kelly on the counterattack is tackled in the box.. no whistle, they call it a clean sliding takcle.

28 minute mark: Wall with another very good defenseive play.

29 minute mark: Pinault with a beautiful pass between Wall and McShane to Colloredgo who unleashes a quick powerful shot into the left lower corner.. no real chance for O'Connor to stop that one.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

40 minute mark: Kingsley Mbome gets a yellow card for tripping Kelly... unfortunately it is ruled just outside the box. Gardner shoots.. the wall deflects it.

Halftime. Down 1-0. Our team is really fighting well against a quality opponent. We have a full house of 3,784 fans. We really NEED a stadium expansion.

50 minute mark: Gardner gets the ball.. nice dribble.. passes to Smyth in the box.. Smyth shoots.. nice save by their keeper.

62 minute mark: Palmer on for Kelly (who had a rough game adjusting to the spot, but I think he can do so.)

72 minute mark: Palmer gets it at midfield.. turns on the jets.. beats the defense.. shoots.. barely wide left.

75 minute mark: soares is hurt and has to come off. I put Hawkins on for him.

94 minute mark: Hawkins with a cross for Smyth.. the defense intercepts it.

Game over. 1-0 loss. Least our team played well against a quality team, but still a rough home loss.

They outshot us 10-6 (4-3 on goal)

Gael Suares won MoM, 23 of 31 passes, 7 of 9 tackles, 11 of 11 headers, 8 interceptions, 1 run.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:21 PM   #108
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

Tom Soares injured his chest and will miss about 5 days.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

October 12, 2008 -

WOW!! After refusing 2 previous contracts, Richie Wellens has accepted my 3rd offer! It took 1,600/week (the max the board would allow), 320/appearance, 320/goal, 320/assist, and a 25% annual raise, 25% raise for promotion or relegation, and 1.8 million dollar release clause. He will almost certainly become our new starting midfielder (with Stephen Cooke who can play all three positions sliding out to one of the wings (Wright is looking like he is finally tiring/or the quality of play is finally too high for him.)

Richie was valued at 600,000 before this deal, and we are paying 90,000 for him (using up most of the money from the Collett sale.)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #110
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

October 15, 2008 -

After watching Wellens in practice this week, I'm really excited about what he could do for our team. I think Mannix was such a huge part of our success last year, and that my MC spot has been my weakest area this year. I think that the defense and initiation of the offense that Mannix provided is sorely missed. From watching Wellens in practice, I believe he has every skill to play the position very well. (Also his value has risen to 800,000 in 2 days!)
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 15, 2008 -

We are currently in 21st place. Today we travel to play Sheffield United which is currently in 24th place. Sheffield United has been decimated by injuries early, but several of their guys have recovered. One key player who hasn't recovered yet is midfielder Stephen McPhail. McPhail is a true star (and national Irish player), so we are fortunate that he is still hurt. However, Steve Kabba is a very good striker and he teams with Alan Connell to give them a dangerous scoring pair. Despite this, they have not scored much this year and the offense has been the downfall for this team this year. The defense has played well with left fullback Tommy Williams leading the talented line. Keeper Stuart Nelson has played very well behind this line, and he will be tough to beat.

Sheffield are 4-7 favorites.

It's going to be overcast with temperatures in the high 50's.

DR: Morley
MC: Wellens (hoping for big things from him)
MR: Cooke (could also play left wing)
SC: Smyth
SC: Kelly

S2: Black
S4: Palmer
Old 02-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

8 minute mark: O'Connor with a nice save of a shot by Lester.

9 minute mark: Wall gets a yellow card for holding Lester's jersey.

22 minute mark: Wellens passes to Gardner.. who passes to Smyth who dribbles into the box.. he shoots.. the keeper blocks it.

Halftime: 0-0 tie. There are over 8300 fans supporting Sheffield.

46 minute mark: Wellens steals it.. plays it into the box for Smyth.. he shoots.. the keeper blocks it.

52 minute mark: Gardner plays it to Kelly on the right edge of the box.. he crosses to Smyth who shoots.. nice save by the keeper.

60 minute mark: Wellens get the ball from Wall after a corner.. Wellens with a breakaway.. dribbling down the pitch.. into the box... he shoots.. the keeper barely tips it over the bar.

73 minute mark: Smyth is seriously hurt. He thinks he can continue to play, but I'm pulling him for T. Baker. Gardner is also tired. I'm moving Kelly back from Forward to AMC and putting Palmer in for Gardner (to play FC.)

80 minute mark: Pretty goal in which Connell and Kabba played the perfect two man game with Connell finally getting it on the left edge of the box.. crossing to Kabba who dove and headed it into the upper left corner of the goal.

85 minute mark: Wellens with a perfect pass to get Kelly a wide open shot in the box.. Kelly shoots.. over the bar.

90 minute mark: Wellens sets up Kelly with the ball just outside the box.. Kelly dribbles between two defenders... shoots from 18 yards.. barely wide right.

Game over. 1-0 loss.

We outshot them 12-10 (3-2 on goal)

Richie Wellens had a great game, 9 for form, and won MoM, 22 of 30 passes, 6 of 10 tackles, 5 of 7 headers, 2 interceptions, 2 runs.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 18, 2008 -

We are currently in 21st place. We are hosting 11th place Walsall. Wall Sall has a talented trio of strikers in Ian Cooke, Matty Fryatt (who is injured), and Carl Cort. Left fullback Rob Kozluk and right fullback Kofi Dakinah are both strong defensive players. Keeper Tony Warner is above average. Right winger Daryl Taylor is a good setup man.

They are 4-7 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the mid 50's today.

DR: Morley
MC: Wellens
MR: Cooke
SC: Kelly (Smyth is exhausted and can't play today.)
SC: Palmer

S2: Black
S4: Hawkins
Old 02-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

7 minute mark: Gardner with a truly magnificient corner kick that curved beautiful.. unfortunately kelly directed the header a little high.

11 minute mark: Wellens steals the ball at midfield.. passes it wright who passes it to Palmer in the box.. Palmer shoots.. lower left corner.. GOAL!!!! 1-0.

29 minute mark: Wellens steals it at midfield.. passes to Stephen on the right wing.. passes it to Gardner.. who passes it to Kelly inside the box.. he shoots.. keeper barely tips it over the bar.

39 minute mark: Cooke gets a yellow card for tripping Dakinah.

40 minute mark: Shawcross trips Gardner.. yellow card for Ryan Shawcross.

44 minute mark: Kozluk gets a yellow card for a trip on Wellens.

Halftime: Up 1-0.

47 minute mark: O'connor with a nice save of a point blank shot by Taylor.

52 minute mark: Wellens steals the ball at midfield.. great pass to Palmer inside the right edge of the box.. he crosses for Gardner... Gardner heads it.. upper right corner.. GOAL!!!! 2-0.

55 minute mark: Nice defensive play by McShane.

65 minute mark: close range shot by Cort.. O'connor tips it over the bar.

71 minute mark: Gardner and Cooke are both tired. I bring in Baker and Hawkins.

Game over. 2-0 win for us!

We dominated ball possession. We outshot them 7-5 (4-2 on goal)

Richie Wellens had a 9 and won MoM again, 32 of 41 passes, 6 of 7 tackles, 6 of 7 headers, 3 interceptions.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #115
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 21, 2008 -

Andrew Wright was named to the League One Team of the week.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

October 23, 2008 -

Today I've been offered my most tempting offer ever. Wigan's manager recently left to coach Liverpool. Now, they have offered me the job. Why is it so tempting?

They have Stuart Elliott whom I have high regard for (he was my favorite player at Hull in CM 03/04.) They have a good young left winger in Kenny Lunt. Irish keeper Paddy Kenny appears to be of good quality (but maybe not good enough for Championship level ball.) They are currently 21st in the Championship, but I think I could turn them around. I will have a whopping 8.4 million dollar transfer budget there (sure beats the continual 32,000/year!) I will be able to keep the wage budget around 240,000/week (now at 24,000/week.) They have a 25,000 all seater stadium with under-soul heating. They also have top facilities plus youth academy. Their finances are only okay right now (despite being offered the 8.4 million dollar transfer budget) so they want me to be fiscally prudent. Jason Roberts still is a fast striker with some good skills (from Grenada.) Right fullback/centreback David Wright appears to be high quality. So, I don't know... should I stay or should I go? (I think I'll make this a poll.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-10-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #117
Miller Time
H.S. Freshman Team

Where does your team rank in average attendence? Do you have the smallest capacity in League 1?

Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

Gavin
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #118
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time
Where does your team rank in average attendence? Do you have the smallest capacity in League 1?

Apologies if it has already been mentioned.

Gavin

It hasn't been mentioned.

We are usually selling out our stadium which holds 3800 (750 seats.) We have the worst training facilities in the league. I'm double checking now, but I think we have the smallest stadium capacity by far.

I'm surprised I've never looked at this before. Here are the capacities for various teams:

I'm going to list them by their position in the league.

1st place Cambridge - 9001 seat stadium (4,376 seated)

2. Burnley - 22,619 all seater with under-soil heating.

3. Chesterfield 8,779 (4407 seated)

4. Bournemouth - 9.696 all seater.

5. Norwich - 24,349 all seater with under-soil heating.

6. Bristol C - 21,500 all seater.

7. Luton - 9,975 all seater.

8. Swansea - 20,000 all seater.

9. MKD - 9,000 all seater.

10. Tranmere - 16,578 all seater.

11. Oldham - 13,624 all seater.

12. Hartlepool - 7,729 (4175 seated)

13. Walsall - 11,500 all seater with under-soil heating.

14. Torquay 7,250 (3500 seated)

15. Rushden - 6,441 (4,641 seated)

16. Brentford - 12,673 (10547 seated)

17. Blackpool - 9,083 all seater.

18. Harrogate - 3800 (450 seated - I always thought it was 750 for some reason)

19. Bradford City - 25,136 all seater.

20. Peterborough - 15,314 all seater.

21. Cheltenham - 7,407 (3139 seated)

22. Northampton - 7,653 all seater.

23. Barnsley - 23,009 all seater with under-soil heating.

24. Sheffield United - 30,900 all seater with under-soil heating.

So, it looks like we have the smallest stadium in the league by a significant margin, and quite a few teams have a stadium that has a capacity that is 6-8 times bigger.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:35 AM   #119
daedalus
Pro Rookie

With the number of seasons you've had of success and the frequency of selling out, if they don't upgrade your park soon, I say you flip off the chairman and take one of the tempting offers.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well I offered the team an ultimatum after they refused to expand the stadium. I told them expand the stadium or I was leaving. They told me just to focus on the football decisions and to leave the money management to them. They said that they would forgive my outburst this one time. I told them to bugger off. I'm accepting the Wigan job. I look forward to working with some excellent talent at Wigan, and I'm looking forward to the big transfer budget and high wage bill.

OOC: I'm sorry to disappoint any of you who didn't want me to leave. However, I don't see this team getting promotion any time soon, and I really want to move up to one of the big 4 eventually, and I think I need one stepping stone to get there. Wigan will be that stepping stone. I've had 5 good years at Harrogate, and I hope you have enjoyed reading about it. I'll continue to write about my new team for those interested in reading. I'll also bring in several of my favorite players (although they might become backups at Wigan) and I'll continue to periodically follow my old team with updates. I'm going to be generous with my monetary offers and give somewhat above value for those players so that I can at least help Harrogate's finances as I leave. I'm on call tonight, so I'm not sure I'll get to play tonight, but I will be able to play again soon. Again, my apologies to those who didn't want me to leave Harrogate.

Edited to add: I've debated about it, and I'll continue to use this thread til the end of the season. Harrogate will march on without me.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-15-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:57 PM   #121
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 25, 2008 -

Today I was informed by the board that they refused my ultimatum to expand the stadium, but they didn't want me to leave. I promptly told them I must regretfully inform them that I was resigning immediately and going to Wigan. They wished me luck and told me goodbye.

Later in the afternoon, I was announced as Wigan's new manager at a press conference. Fans cheared my hiring. Wigan Chairman Dave Whelan welcomed me to JJB stadium, and told me that he hopes I adopt a cautious approach to management and secure the long-term future of the club by employing sensible tactics in the transfer market. He told me that my actual transfer budget will be 7.4 million dollars. The club currently has 4.1 million in the bank. They have made 1.3 million in profit this season so far. I also found out that the 4th round of the League Cup draw for Wigan will be occuring momentarily. I laugh nervously as a reporter tells me that my first cup game will be against Everton on their pitch. This EPL team is currently 10th in the league and will be a tough challenge.

As for my next match.. I will be coaching against Nottingham Forest later this evening. Realizing this, I decide I need this press conference to end so I can get to know my team better and prepare a starting lineup.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:32 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

October 25, 2008 -

I've been poring over the roster ever since I thought about taking this job, but today was the first time I really was able to examine the team in depth.

I'm going to start with my keepers and move throughout the pitch in a natural progression.

Keepers:

Dean Gerken - This 23 year old has been the starter most of the year. He has been inconsistent. Some games he is very good. Other games he is horrid. He has given up 30 goals in 14 starts with 4 clean sheets. I'm not much of a math whiz, but that means he has given up 3 goals/game in 10 starts. On videotape, he looks to have many good skills. I think he is quite acrobatic, but he seems to lack composure at times. He is making 3,400/week. I don't see him as the long term answer. He has very little transfer value according to my new assistant manager.

Paddy Kenny - This 30 year old from Ireland has only 3 starts for the team. He has 1 clean sheet and has given up a goal a game in the other 2. He was just recently acquired from Bristol C (League One) for 2.6 million dollars. He would appear to be the clear starter to me. He definitely appears more composed. He isn't as acrobatic, but from what little I've seen he appears to be better in every other way.

That is it. No young keepers on the reserve team. Lee Bradshaw is a 17 year old on the youth team, but he isn't close to ready to start for the main club.

Defenders:

David Wright - This 28 year old centerback/right fullback is one of our highest valued players. He is also one of the most skilled. This guy is an incredibly talented defender. Well, he isn't the best at marking or heading, but he is a great tackler. He is an all around talent who is equally dangerous on the attack. I'll likely start him at right fullback, but I might try him at centreback. He is also one of our highest paid players at 26,500/week. He was reportedly very unhappy with the clubs underachieving in the past, and wants to see the club turn it around immediately. I like him already.

Leighton Baines - This 23 year old has 12 U21 caps for England. He can play left fullback or left wing. He is very high paid at 35,500/week. He is valued at over 2 million. He is a solid all around player. His major weakness is his long shooting, but I envision him likely starting at left fullback and he has everything I look for in the position. My major concern is that he is having a personal conflict with striker Jason Roberts and wants me to transfer Jason Roberts off of the team.

Paul Edwards - This 19 year old centreback on loan from Blackburn has been starting quite a few games for the team. I don't think he will be a starter for me. He has great physical skills, but is a poor man marker, poor header, poor at positioning. He doesn't really have any of the most important qualities in a centreback. We only have him on loan for 1 more month.

Darren Ward - This 30 year old veteran centreback has been a frequent starter for the team. He is paid a hefty 23,000/week, but is worth it. He is very good at leaping and winning headers. I can see him being a dominant defender in my scheme. He has good positioning, good work ethic, and I just hope that he doesn't decline too precipitiously. His contract ends this year, and I'll likely try to resign him.

Mark Patterson - This 19 year old left fullback is considered a hot prospect. I don't see what the team sees in him. He has good physical skills, but almost no technical ability. He is a poor tackler. I'll likely demote him to the reserve team, but I'll wait a few games to see if he can continue to be an effective sub.

Philip Edwards - This 22 year old centreback has decent physical skills, but I don't see him being a regular contributor any time in the near future.

Mohamed Moreau - This 19 year old centreback from France is considered a hot prospect. He might contribute with a great deal of development as he has great leaping ability and is good at heading the ball, but he isn't ready to contribute any time soon.

Jason Morris - This 19 year old centreback from England doesn't have anything that I look for in a centreback and I question his future with the club.

Those are all of the DC's on the top team.

We don't have any DC's on the reserve or U18 team. I suspect that will change as several of our current DC's just don't have what it takes.

I think we are fairly well set at both fullback positions and one DC spot, but I need to bring in a DC VERY quickly. I think Wall or McShane (or both) would be a significant upgrade over any of my 2nd options at the position.

Midfielders and Forwards to follow.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Midfielders:

Stuart Elliott - This 30 year old has over 45 caps for N. Ireland. He has always been one of my favorite players. He has played very well in the Championship this year with an average form of almost 8. He has mostly been playing left wing, but I suspect I will play him at striker as I'm very impressed with his scoring ability. He has wonderful speed, great heading ability, great jumping ability. He could be a very intimidating powerful striker in the box. He is one of my most valuable players at a value of 3.6 million dollars. He makes 28,000/week. He also has a personal problem with Jasn Roberts from what I've heard (apparently most of the team does!)

In retrospection, perhaps I should have put Elliott in the forward group as I'm almost certainly be playing him there.

The only problem with that plan is I don't have any other great (or even very good natural left wingers but Kenny Lunt could play that position.)

Kenny Lunt - This midfielder could play left, center midfield, or right wing. Kenny Lunt is a natural right footed player and I think he could be superb on the right wing. He has everything I look for in the position except for occasional lapses in positioning. I think he will do very well for us, and he is fairly cheap at 8,400/week.

Ben Rix - This 24 year old can play midfield or right wing. He looks more suited to me in the midfield. He is a very creating talented passer who could play some superb through balls. He lacks great speed, but I could see him playing either of his positions as a starter for us.

Gary Teale - This 30 year old Scottish National Player is a natural right winger. He has BLISTERING speed. He has great accelerationand is a good passer. He plays with flair, determination, and hard work. I suspect that I will give him some starts on the right wing, and move Lunt to left wing.

Alex Williams - This 20 year old right winger is considered a hot prospect. I'm not sure why. He has great leaping ability, but he lacks speed. He lacks passing ability. He lacks determination. He is lazy. This is all according to my watching tape and reading scouting reports, but I believe what my eyes see. I don't plan on keeping this kid around if I can get a club to bite.

Tony Taylor - This 19 year old is an attacking midfielder/forward. He has good speed, good physical ability, but not much else yet. I'll probably see if he develops with time.

These 6 midfielders are the only guys on the main club. IF I want to start Elliott at forward, I really need to find one more good midfielder for the middle. I think Richie (my most recent acquisition from Harrogate) would fit the bill nicely.

Strikers:

Of Course Elliott could have been listed here.

David Graham - This 30 year old has been injured for much of the year but he will be back soon. He is a good passer who is nice at finishing plays too. He has just about everything I look for in a forward. He could be a very nice piece of the puzzle. In only 6 starts, he has 2 goals.

Jason Roberts - This 30 year old ambitious striker is a talented player. He has 9 goals in 13 starts. He also has 2 assists. However, multiple guys on the team want to see him leave. He has also made it a point of telling me that he thinks he is too good for the club, and that he wants to be transfer listed. He is valued at 4 million dollars. He is 30 years old. He has blazing speed, great mental attrbitutes. He could be a great scorer for us. However, I think he is distracting the club. I plan on transfer listing him VERY soon.

Matt Harrold - This 24 year old striker has some good attributes, but there is something on tape I just don't like. I think he lacks the ability to be an effective consistent striker. He might be a good reserve, but I don't see him being the long term answer as a starter.

Kevin Wright - This 18 year old striker does NOT belong on the first team yet. He just isn't ready. He might be a good player one day, but no way is he ready yet.

Magno Silva Vieira is a 23 year old striker on our reserve team. He has very good speed and a good finishing touch, but he is a sloppy dribbler. He is slow to react. He doesn't look like he is ready to play on the main squad.

I'll likely use Elliott and Graham as my starters once I move Roberts. I'll also look at bringing in Mark Smyth, Palmer, and Kelly as reserves.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #124
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 25, 2008 -

So, I've talked about the players but the staff is just as important. I'm shocked to find that I had a larger staff at Harrogate than a major club like Wigan has. They currently have an assistant manager, only 2 coaches, 2 physios, and 3 scouts. I immediately start reviewing the philes that Mr. Whelan has provided me.

Chris Hutchings is the assistant manager. I've never heard of him and I'm not sure how he is going to handle my hiring. However, Mr. Whelan believes that he is a very good assistant manager. He is supposed to be good at everything except showing adaptability on the pitch. I'll have to get to know this man and hopefully earn his confidence.

David Lee is a 40 year old coach who is believed to be an excellent judge of player ability. He is supposed to be a supreme motivator and a good outfield coach. He isn't great though. I'll want to bring in someone to work with outfield players besides just him.

David Lowe is a 43 year old outfield/keeper coach who is also known as an excellent motivator. He is supposed to be very good at working with youngsters. I'll probably have him focus on outfield players.

While these two coaches are good, I'll look at bringing in one more outfield coach and one top notch keeper coach.

Danny Edwards is a 40 year old physio who is not well known on the national football stage, but he is believed to be very good at what he does. I'll likely keep him as he has been with the club for almost 10 years.

Stuart Welsh is a 35 year old physio who is also somewhat obscure in reputation, but the board believes he is good at his job. I'll plan on keeping him too, especially since he is signed for 4 more years.

I'd like to hire at least 2 more physios as well.

David Hamilton is a 47 year old scout who is known to have excellent ability to judge current and future potential. He supposedly brought in some very talented players 4 years ago. He hasn't had any recent big finds, but I'll keep him around for a while.

Steve Neville is a 63 year old scout who is believed to be losing his touch. He hasn't had a good recommendation in a long time. He is signed for 3 more years. I'll hope that he retires when his contract expires (if not before.)

Richard Hamilton is a 46 year old scout who is well respected locally. I think that he could be a very good asset to the club for a while if the board's notes are accurate.

To Summarize, my current plans for staff: Keep everyone I currently have. Bring in one more outfield coach, one very good to great keeper coach, two good physios. I don't think we need any more scouts at this time.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 PM   #125
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct 25, 2008 -

The game is about to start and I find myself feverishly firing off letters. I'm sending letters to a few physios inviting them to come in for interviews immediately. I'm giving calls to a few coaches including this Basque legend I've heard in order to try to get them to come help bolster my staff. I also decide to immediately call my old boss at Wetherby road. I'm going to make offers on several players:

My first potential target is Richie Wellens. If I'm going to start Elliott at forward, which I AM going to do even in my first game (even though it is going to make me experiment with a striker at midfield), I need at least 3 midfielders to bolster my depth. I need one to start immediately. Richie Wellens was only with me at Harrogate for a short time, but I believe he has every attribute needed to be a good starter even at this level. He is currently valued at 200,000 dollars. I decide to be generous and offer 300,000 dollars.

I've considered McShane, but he would be merely for depth. I don't think he'll ever develop into a quality starter at this level, and he is valued at 1.4 million for Manchester City. I decide to pass on him for now.

My second potential target is Stuart Wall. He is only 21, but he continued to develop under my tutilege before. He isn't a top notch starter at this level, but he is good enough to start for now. He is better than who I will have to start at my 2nd DC spot this game. Furthermore, I think he will keep getting better. He is valued at 70,000. I decide to offer them 120,000.

My third potential target: Craig Gardner. He is on loan from Aston Villa, so this money wouldn't go to Harrogate. He has great potential as an AMC (I think I will gradually phase my 4-3-1-2 in here when I get the personal) and I think Gardner could make it work. I decide to contact Aston Villa to see how much they want for him. I WON'T pay them 2.2 million which is his reported value right now. Aston Villa's Boss answers my call which shocks me! I'm surprised that he knows me. He tells me that the team values Gardner and would only let him go for 2.2 million dollars. I tell him no thanks for now.

I consider bringing Palmer in, but he was having trouble getting it done in League One. I decide that I won't persue him at this time.

My fourth potential target: Greg Kelly. He is 25 and has probably reached his full potential, however he could be a good left wing or AMC for me at this level. He is definitely better than any AMC option I have at the club at this point. I don't think he would be a regular starter at this level, but I could see him being a valuable sub. He is valued at 550,000 dollars. I decide to offer 700,000 (I don't have the budget to be *too* overly generous on this one.)

My fifth potential target: Richard O'Connor. The keeper is only 20, but he has developed nicely already. He wouldn't be a starter or even 1st backup, but he could grow in time. I might purchase him to see if he can develop. He is valued at 100,000 dollars. I want to be generous, but I really don't think he is worth more. I decide to offer them 100,000 (maybe I'll loan him back to them to get experience.)

My sixth potential target: Mark Smyth - I don't know if he has enough ability to get it done at this level, but I'm willing to bet that he would beat out my other 2 strikers to be the 3rd backup. I decide that I will bring him in if he is willing to be a backup. He is currently valued at 340,000 dollars. I offer 400,000.

I also consider making an offer for right wing Stephen Cooke, but I never really got too attached to him, and I decide to pass on this one.

I also will be starting to look immediately for targets throughout the football world..
Old 02-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #126
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct 25, 2008 -

The game is about to start and I find myself feverishly firing off letters. I'm sending letters to a few physios inviting them to come in for interviews immediately. I'm giving calls to a few coaches including this Basque legend I've heard in order to try to get them to come help bolster my staff. I also decide to immediately call my old boss at Wetherby road. I'm going to make offers on several players:

My first potential target is Richie Wellens. If I'm going to start Elliott at forward, which I AM going to do even in my first game (even though it is going to make me experiment with a striker at midfield), I need at least 3 midfielders to bolster my depth. I need one to start immediately. Richie Wellens was only with me at Harrogate for a short time, but I believe he has every attribute needed to be a good starter even at this level. He is currently valued at 200,000 dollars. I decide to be generous and offer 300,000 dollars.

I've considered McShane, but he would be merely for depth. I don't think he'll ever develop into a quality starter at this level, and he is valued at 1.4 million for Manchester City. I decide to pass on him for now.

My second potential target is Stuart Wall. He is only 21, but he continued to develop under my tutilege before. He isn't a top notch starter at this level, but he is good enough to start for now. He is better than who I will have to start at my 2nd DC spot this game. Furthermore, I think he will keep getting better. He is valued at 70,000. I decide to offer them 120,000.

My third potential target: Craig Gardner. He is on loan from Aston Villa, so this money wouldn't go to Harrogate. He has great potential as an AMC (I think I will gradually phase my 4-3-1-2 in here when I get the personal) and I think Gardner could make it work. I decide to contact Aston Villa to see how much they want for him. I WON'T pay them 2.2 million which is his reported value right now. Aston Villa's Boss answers my call which shocks me! I'm surprised that he knows me. He tells me that the team values Gardner and would only let him go for 2.2 million dollars. I tell him no thanks for now.

I consider bringing Palmer in, but he was having trouble getting it done in League One. I decide that I won't persue him at this time.

My fourth potential target: Greg Kelly. He is 25 and has probably reached his full potential, however he could be a good left wing or AMC for me at this level. He is definitely better than any AMC option I have at the club at this point. I don't think he would be a regular starter at this level, but I could see him being a valuable sub. He is valued at 550,000 dollars. I decide to offer 700,000 (I don't have the budget to be *too* overly generous on this one.)

My fifth potential target: Richard O'Connor. The keeper is only 20, but he has developed nicely already. He wouldn't be a starter or even 1st backup, but he could grow in time. I might purchase him to see if he can develop. He is valued at 100,000 dollars. I want to be generous, but I really don't think he is worth more. I decide to offer them 100,000 (maybe I'll loan him back to them to get experience.)

My sixth potential target: Mark Smyth - I don't know if he has enough ability to get it done at this level, but I'm willing to bet that he would beat out my other 2 strikers to be the 3rd backup. I decide that I will bring him in if he is willing to be a backup. He is currently valued at 340,000 dollars. I offer 400,000.

I also consider making an offer for right wing Stephen Cooke, but I never really got too attached to him, and I decide to pass on this one.

I also will be starting to look immediately for targets throughout the football world..
Old 02-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #127
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 25, 2008 -

Wigan is currently 21st in the Championship. We are hosting Nottingham Forest today which is in 15th place. Nottingham Forest has a good quality team. Left Winger Rohan Ricketts has been playing very well. Right winger Mehdi Mahdavikia is an Iranian star who has 100 caps for Iran. Colin Healy is a talented midfielder who is a very good defensive presence. Jamaican star David Johnson is the only player who has really been providing offense, and he only has 4 goals. His partner Sam Parkin doesn't seem that talented. I'll try to have my best defender shut down Johnson and hopefully neutralize their offense.

We are 6-4 favorites.

It's sunny with temperatures in the mid 40's.

I'm going to play a basic 4-4-2 that the team was playing before my arrival with both wings joining the attack.

GK: Paddy Kenny
DL: Leighton Baines
DC: Paul Edwards (not very happy that I need to rely on him)
DC: Darren Ward
DR: David Wright
ML: Kenny Lunt
MC: Matt Harrold (Striker playing out of position, but I think he could pull it off)
MC: Ben Rix
MR: Gary Teale
SC: Stuart Elliott
SC: Jason Roberts (gotta play him til someone bites on my transfer listing of him. He is relieved that he is transfer listed as his old manager repeatedly refused to do so. He said he will play well to look good for potential suitors.)

S1: Dean Gerkin
S2: Tony Taylor
S3: Phillip Edwards
S4: Alex Williams
S5: Mark Patterson (I really don't like needing to use these last 4, and my Harrogate players would immediately take over these slots.)
Old 02-15-2005, 10:40 PM   #128
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

2 minute mark: Rix with a nice pass into the box for Roberts who beats his man.. shoots.. nice save by their keeper.

5 minute mark: David Johnson gets a breakaway.. dribbles between both of my defenders.. shoots from the edge of the box.. great save by Paddy!

10 minute mark: Mahdakavia gets a nice cross inside the box.. he heads it.. just wide left.

26 minute mark: Rix passes to Lunt who shoots from the left edge of the box.. the defender blocks it.

35 minute mark: Nice pass from Rix between two defenders into the box.. Roberts gets it.. shoots... barely wide left.

38 minute mark: Ricketts passes to Parkin just outside the box.. Parkin with a nice move on the defender.. shoots into the lower left corner.. Paddy dives.. it's past him.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

44 minute mark: Baines with a nice defensive play.

46 minute mark: Lunt clears a corner down the pitch.. Roberts is racing to it.. the keeper is racing out of the box.. the keeper beats Roberts to it and clears it with a long kick.

Halftime: Down 1-0.

54 minute mark: Rix passes to Elliott in the box.. he shoots.. upper right corner.. the keeper tips it over the bar.

89 minute mark: Elliott passes to Roberts by the right post.. Roberts shoots.. great save by the keeper!

Game over. 1-0 loss.

We were outshot 8-6 (4-3 on goal)

Keeper Stuart Taylor (ahh, should have realized it was him beforehand) won MoM for his 4 saves.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:46 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

The Physio reports that Leighton Baines and Stuart Elliott both need some rest soon.

Ben Rix injured his chest and will likely miss about 5 days.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:00 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 26, 2008 -

Physio Andrew Schofield has agreed to come work for me at Wigan.

Coach Mike Phelan (superb outfielder coach) has agreed to come work for me.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #131
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 27, 2008 -

Former Scottish Great Brian McClair has agreed to come coach on my staff. He is a superb outfield coach.

Spanish (Basque) great Josu has agreed to come coach our keepers. He speaks Spanish and English and is reportedly a phenomenal keeper coach.

Stuart Elliott was called up to the N. Ireland National team, and Paddy Kenny was called up to the Irish National team for games on Nov. 8th and 12th.

French Physio, Thierry Gomes has agreed to come join my staff.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 PM   #132
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
OOC: I'm sorry to disappoint any of you who didn't want me to leave. However, I don't see this team getting promotion any time soon, and I really want to move up to one of the big 4 eventually, and I think I need one stepping stone to get there. Wigan will be that stepping stone. I've had 5 good years at Harrogate, and I hope you have enjoyed reading about it. I'll continue to write about my new team for those interested in reading. I'll also bring in several of my favorite players (although they might become backups at Wigan) and I'll continue to periodically follow my old team with updates. I'm going to be generous with my monetary offers and give somewhat above value for those players so that I can at least help Harrogate's finances as I leave. I'm on call tonight, so I'm not sure I'll get to play tonight, but I will be able to play again soon. Again, my apologies to those who didn't want me to leave Harrogate.
Speaking only for myself, I'm following you and your adventure mostly. It's been fun because you make the players seem more "real". So whether at Harrogate or Wigan, I'll be reading and enjoying it. I don't know that there was much more you have done with Harrogate if they refuse to work with you one bit.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 PM   #133
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Speaking only for myself, I'm following you and your adventure mostly. It's been fun because you make the players seem more "real". So whether at Harrogate or Wigan, I'll be reading and enjoying it. I don't know that there was much more you have done with Harrogate if they refuse to work with you one bit.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 11:18 PM   #134
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 27, 2008 -

Harrogate accepted my offers for Greg Kelly, Richie Wellens, and Stuart Wall.

They rejected my offers for O'Connor and Smyth.

I immediately contact Greg Kelly and he is currently being paid 3200/week at Harrogate. He will agree to 3,200/week to come play for us. I let him know that he will be a rotation player. I'll also offer him his requested 12,000 signing bonus.

I contact Richie Wellens and he is shocking me by saying that he likes being at Harrogate and doesn't want to come here! I decide to offer him 4,200/week (my AM's recommendation) to come play for us. I also tell him he will be a first team player. He is only making 1600/week at Harrogate right now..

Stuart Wall is currently being paid 2,000/week. He is willing to take 1,850/week to come play here. My Assistant Manager is most enthusiastic about this signing (moreso than the others) He recommends we offer him 2200/week. I decide to just offer him the 1,850 he is requesting along with a 2,000 signing bonus and a 10% annual raise.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #135
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 28, 2008 -

We are currently in 21st and we are hosting the Wolves which are in 5th place today. The wolves have a very talented team. Left winger Julian Gray is very fast, talented, and dangerous. Striker David Healy has a knack for finding the back of the net however he needs to get it done. He has 10 goals in 14 league games already. He is fast, but he is also verygood at sneaking in between defenders. Midfielder Seyi George Olofinjana is an all-around good talent who can do so many things well. Right fullback Darren Kenton is very fast, strong, and never seems to tire. Keeper Arni Gautar Arason is known to be one of the best at his profession. He is highly skilled and has 4 clean sheets in 6 games. He hasn't lost his skills at the age of 33. He will be tough to score against.

The Wolves are even odds favorites.

It's overcast with temperatures in the high 30's today.

We are using the same lineup except Ben Rix is injured and I'll have to start Alex Williams in at midfield. I'm using the same tactics (but I really hope to have some more players in soon.) David Graham is healed from his injury and I'll be using him as a sub who I will hopefully work into the game.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #136
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

4 minute mark: Roberts with a great dribble between two defenders to get into the box.. passes to Elliott who is tackled by the centreback.

13 minute mark: Teale with a great cross to Roberts who heads it.. nice save by the keeper.

24 minute mark: Paul Edwards gets a yellow card for a trip.

25 minute mark: Thompson takes it down the right sideline and then crosses to Bothroyd who heads it towards the upper right corner.. Paddy dives.. it is out of his reach.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

32 minute mark: Harrod with a shot from midfield.. nice shot.. the keeper barely tips it over the bar.

38 minute mark: Teale with a great dribble down the right sideline.. he is really impressing me.. he crosses it.. Kenton has to head it out of bounds..

40 minute mark: Teale dribbles into the right corner of the pitch.. crosses for Roberts.. he heads it.. barely wide right.

Halftime: Down 1-0. We have a crowd of 13,000 plus fans here tonight.

54 minute mark: Teale plays a through ball into the box.. Roberts get it.. he is tackled from behind by Richard Jackson.. yellow card for Jackson! Penalty awarded.. the announcer thinks Roberts dove.. but the ref doesn't see it that way! My AM thinks I should let Harrold take the penalty shot.. he steps up.. shoots.. over the keeper's left shoulder.. GOAL!!!!! 1-1 tie!

72 minute mark: Nice save by Paddy on a shot by Healy.

75 minute mark: Thompson takes a corner kick.. aimed for the near post.. Craddock outjumps both of my centrebacks.. he heads it.. towards the upper left corner.. PAddy is out of position for this one.. it's just inside the post.. GOAL. Down 2-1.

I bring on Graham for Roberts who is tired.

84 minute mark: Harrold steals it at midfield.. plays it to Lunt on the left wing.. he shoots from 25 yards out.. long curving shot.. barely wide right.

92 minute mark: Teale with a long pass to Elliott.. he is called for offsides.

Game over. 2-1 loss.

They outshot us 10-8 (6-2 on goal)

Gary Teale won MoM (and is really impressing me), 30 of 37 passes, 2 of 3 tackles, 2 of 3 headers, 1 interception, 6 runs, 4 fouls drawn.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:52 PM   #137
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 28, 2008 -

Looking to add some depth at striker, I decide to offer Harrogate 440,000 for Mark Smyth.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:03 AM   #138
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 30, 2008 -

Greg Kelly has agreed to come join the team. He said he is excited to be joining such a well supported team.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oct. 31, 2008 -

Stuart Wall agreed to come play for us. He is excited about playing for such a well supported club.

Richie Wellens dismissed our contract offer as unacceptable!?!?! I'll move on and look for another good midfielder.

Speaking of which I had heard Joey Gudjonsson wants to leave Leicester. I offered them 1.2 million which they rejected. I think this player could be a major asset to the club, so I decide to make another offer of 1.7 million dollars.

Harrogate rejected my offer for Mark Smyth. They want 700,000 for him. I don't think he is worth that much, so I reject their counter offer.

Brescia has accepted my offer for Alberto Giuliani, a potentially very talented striker. This 21 year old Italian player is very much admired by 2 of my scouts... I call his agent up with some trepidation and find that they are being somewhat reasonable in their contract request... they want 9,000/week with a signing on fee of 4,000, a goal bonus of 650/goal, an assist bonus of 340/assist, and a 10% annual raise. The board will allow me to pay up to 17,000 for this kid. I decide that if I'm going to move Roberts, I really need some quality players and this kid has the potential.. I agree to his 9,000/week if he agrees to extend the deal from 4 years to 5. I leave all other stipulations in place.

If he accepts this deal, I can't believe that I will have my first million dollar acquisition (1.4 million to be precise.)
Old 02-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #140
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nov. 1st, 2008 -

Leicester's Jefferson Farfan has won English Championship Player of the Month. Dave Kitson of Preston came in 2nd, and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson of Coventry came in 3rd.

Reading's Peter Castle has won young player of the month. James Coutts of Preston came in 2nd, and Samuel Martin of Watford came in 3rd.

Derby's Ciriaco Cano has won the Championship Manager of the Month. George Burley of Charlton came in 2nd, and Stephen Constantine of QPR came in 3rd.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nov. 1st 2008 -

We are currently in 21st place. Today we travel to play Doncaster which is in 23rd place. Doncaster has an anemic attack with no player having more than 1 goal. They only have 6 goals on the year. Their defense is good however. It all starts with keeper Nick Colgan who is quite good. Midfielder Gavin Mahon is quite good and does everything well. However, they don't have any other standout players, and I think we can get our first win this game.

We are 6-4 favorites.

It's overcast with temperatures in the high 30's.

GK: Kenny (Paddy!)
DL: Baines
DC: Stuart Wall (in his debut! )
DC: Ward
DR: Wright
ML: Lunt
MC: Greg Kelly (in his debut! I'm not sure if he can be effective in this midfield position, but he is better than the alternatives for now)
MC: Rix
MR: Teale
SC: Elliott (I can't afford to rest him until I get another quality striker in)
SC: Roberts

S1: Gerken
S2: Tony Taylor
S3: Matt Harrold
S4: David Graham
S5: Paul Edwards
Old 02-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #142
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

5 minute mark: Wall with a very nice defensive stop to prevent a breakaway.

Wall is looking very good in the first 15 minutes.

23 minute mark: Roberts breakaway is stopped short as he is tackled by Spence in the box.

26 minute mark: Alan Rogers gets a yellow card for a trip on Teale.

44 minute mark: Michael Spence gets a yellow card for pulling Elliott's jersey.

Halftime: 0-0 tie.

56 minute mark: Nice defensive play by Wall.

57 minute mark: Nice pass by Kelly into the box.. Roberts is tackled from behind.

75 minute mark: Roberts gets a yellow card for arguing an offside call.. I decide to put Graham on for Roberts.

82 minute mark: Baines gets whistled for shoving Izzet just outside the box.. Izzet shoots the free kick from 22 yards out.. wicked curving shot.. towards the upper left corner.. Paddy dives.. it's past him.. GOAL. Down 1-0.

91 minute mark: Teale with a cross to Elliott.. he heads it.. great header towards the upper left corner.. nice save by Colgan.

Game over. 1-0 loss (I thought we would at least get a tie this game..)

WE were outshot 11-4 (4-3 on goal)

Greg Kelly played the midfield spot surprisingly well. In fact, he had a 9 for form and won MoM! 13 of 17 passes, 7 of 8 tackles, 3 of 5 headers, 2 interceptions, 1 foul drawn.

Paddy, Stuart Wall, Teale all had 8's for form. The rest of the team had 7's.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:36 AM   #143
daedalus
Pro Rookie

That's a tough loss to take. At least Wall had a good debut.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #144
gkb
High School Varsity

I'm really enjoying this dynasty, keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to you getting one of your dream jobs and reading how that goes.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 PM   #145
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nov. 2, 2008 -

Stuart Elliott suffered a calf strain in practice today. He will miss approximately 2 weeks.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb
I'm really enjoying this dynasty, keep up the great work. I'm looking forward to you getting one of your dream jobs and reading how that goes.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #147
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nov. 2, 2008 -

Brescia's Alberto Giuliani has agreed to come to Wigan. We'll be paying his club 1.4 million dollars for this 21 year old striker.

Due to transfer windows in Brescia's league, he won't be arriving until January 1st, 2009.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nov. 5, 2008 -

Today we travel to play Everton in the 4th round of the League Cup. Everton usually plays a 4-5-1 according to my scouts. Marcus Bent leads a potent pacey attacking line. Thomas Gravesen is an excellent spark in a creative midfield. Gravesen is a 32 year old veteran national player for Denmark who does just about everything right. He has been playing dominantly this year. Right fullback Tony Hibbert is the leader of a strong technically sound defensive line. However, their main keeper, Richard Wright, is out with a groin strain. My scout believes they are going to start an 18 year old kid named Danny O'Brien in goal. My scout believes the kid has a ton of potential, but is not ready to play at this level. He thinks that we have a good chance of beating the kid if we can get any good shots on goal.

It's sunny with temperatures in the high 30's today.

They are 4-5 favorites.

GK: Paddy
DL: Baines
DC: Ward
DR: Wright
ML Lunt
MC: Kelly
MC: Rix
MR: Teale
SC: David Graham (fully recovered from injury has to play well with Elliott injured)
SC: Jason Roberts

S1: Gerken
S2: Taylor
S3: Harrold
S4: Edwards
S5: Mohamed Moreau (I really need to improve my depth.)
Old 02-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #149
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

3 minute mark: Gravesen plays a perfect through ball into the box for Bent.. he shoots from 10 yards.. great save by Paddy!!

On the counter attack Lunt makes an errant cross that sails over Roberts head.

9 minute mark: Paul Gardner gets a yellow card for a reckless 2 footed tackle on Jason Roberts.

14 minute mark: Wall with an important challenge on Bent and a subsequent clearance.

15 minute mark: kelly with a nice through ball to Roberts in the box.. Roberts shoots.. over the keeper's shoulder.. over the bar!

17 minute mark: Bent gets a long pass from Gravesen.. shoots.. lower right corner.. GO.. offside call!!!

24 minute mark: Teale (who is quickly becoming my favorite player at this club) has an amazing move after receiving a cross from Lunt.. he burns the left fullback, Anthony Gardner. Then he crosses over one of the centrebacks, Paul Gardner.. he dribbles in on net.. the keeper (Jason Campbell) comes out of net.. and tackles Teale!! Penalty shot awarded! The ref calls Campbell over.. RED CARD for the keeper!!! He is ejected. The young kid Danny O'Brien has to come on for him to face the penalty shot.. my AM thinks I should let Graham take the shot... he steps up confidently.. he looks right.. looks left.. shoots right over the keeper's right shoulder.. powerful shot!!! GOAL!!!!! 1-0!

29 minute mark: Lunt with a nice dribble down the left sideline.. crosses for Roberts who heads it.. Danny O'Brien punches away the shot.

39 minute mark: Wall blocks a shot by Gravesen with a great play.

44 minute mark: Kelly with a nice through ball into the box... Roberts gets it.. shoots from 15 yards.. over the keeper's shoulder.. it clangs off the crossbar.

Halftime: Up 1-0.

Their are 30,000 plus fans here at this game.

51 minute mark: Teale sends a cross a little bit high.. it goes out of bounds out the far side of the pitch.

54 minute mark: Ward with a very nice defensive play on Osman.

64 minute mark: Roberts steals the ball from one of the centrebacks.. gets into the box.. shoots.. just over the bar.

75 minute mark: A. Gardner barely heads away a cross from Lunt that was intended for Roberts.

79 minute mark: Paddy calmly saves a hard 25 yard shot from Osman.

80 minute mark: Wall with a superb defensive play on Gravesen in the box.

80 minute mark: Wall with a long pass to Teale who puts an amazing spin move on A. Gardner.. into the box.. about to shoot.. when Patrick Boyle tackles him hard.. whistle.. yellow card.. Penalty shot awarded!!! Graham steps up.. shoots into the lower right corner.. the keeper dives.. he can't get to it.. GOAL!!!! 2-0!

91 minute mark: wall blocks a shot by Gravesen.

92 minute mark: Wall clears a cross that was going into the box.

GAME OVER!!! My first win with Wigan is a big one with a 2-0 win on the road against Everton in front of 30,000+

We each had 12 shots, and we each had 7 shots on goal.

Gary Teale had a 10 for form and wins MoM, 29 of 36 oasses, 4 of 5 tackles, 2 of 4 headers, 10 runs, 4 fouls drawn, and 1 assist?

Paddy, David Wright, Darren Ward, Stuart Wall all had 9's for form. The rest of the team had 8's except for Jason Roberts who only had a 7.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

- Besides our share of the gate receipt, we were given 130,000 dollars for our 4th round win.