Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #101
kingfc22
Head Coach

I say the Falcons should air one out down the field on their first play with the wind.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #102
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Well, we're too close in to truly "air one out," but I'd like a little play action here.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #103
Dutch
"Dutch"

1st QTR recap

The Eagles look sharp and poised.

I was actually telling Vick to "Get up!" when he looked hurt.

Both of these teams look like they deserve to be here. Should be a great game.

The Falcons need to prove they can use the wind to their advantage in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs or they are in trouble. They need to be up by 8 or more in the 4th qtr to win.

The footing looks good enough for Vick and Dunn. So far Vick is impressing me with his improv, (but truly goes without saying,) not his passing.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #104
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta give Atlanta this, they have some creative playcallers (granted, I haven't seen many games of theirs this year)
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think passing "with the wind" is still going to be challenging with the wind making overthrows more likely.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #106
Ben E Lou

Nice subterfuge there. Looked like the play they ran last week, but this time Dunn keeps it.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #107
kingfc22
Head Coach

Why did we let Mora go when we had the chance to make him coach. Damn Niners and John York.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #108
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Gotta give Atlanta this, they have some creative playcallers (granted, I haven't seen many games of theirs this year)
To clarify what I said earlier, that looked exactly like a play last week where Dun threw it to Vick.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #109
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I think passing "with the wind" is still going to be challenging with the wind making overthrows more likely.
Agreed. Donovan already has an overthrow with the wind.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #110
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Gotta get it in the endzone here guys..
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #111
Swaggs
Coordinator

Time for a PA bootleg...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #112
TroyF
Coordinator

I haven't read all of the comments in this thread, but I can say I massively dislike the two major calls by Andy Reid in this game.

Trying a fake field goal from 50 yards in those conditions? Horrible. No team is going to be stupid enough to fall for that fake. Hell, even the Vikings aren't that stupid.

Then the TO at the end of Q1. The Falcons go conservative there. They would have likely attempted the long field goal. 48 yards. This is the same field goal you didn't have the confidence YOUR kicker (and a very good kicker I might add) couldn't hit.

So you waste a TO and make the Falcons do what they SHOULD have done. You force them to be aggressive. They pick up the first down and they go with the wind. Basicly, you put all of your eggs in one basket. You either stop them on the fourth and 1, or you give them free reign to drive down for a TD. Then you get to go into the teeth of the wind.

Why not be happy with a 7-3 lead (at worst) and let your offense do their thing?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
To clarify what I said earlier, that looked exactly like a play last week where Dun threw it to Vick.

I remembered that play, and I said to myself last week that the Eagles would see a variation of it this week.

Nice play calling.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That looked like a great Vick play until Hollis Thomas slammed into Vick!
Old 01-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #115
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
I haven't read all of the comments in this thread, but I can say I massively dislike the two major calls by Andy Reid in this game.

Trying a fake field goal from 50 yards in those conditions? Horrible. No team is going to be stupid enough to fall for that fake. Hell, even the Vikings aren't that stupid.

Then the TO at the end of Q1. The Falcons go conservative there. They would have likely attempted the long field goal. 48 yards. This is the same field goal you didn't have the confidence YOUR kicker (and a very good kicker I might add) couldn't hit.

So you waste a TO and make the Falcons do what they SHOULD have done. You force them to be aggressive. They pick up the first down and they go with the wind. Basicly, you put all of your eggs in one basket. You either stop them on the fourth and 1, or you give them free reign to drive down for a TD. Then you get to go into the teeth of the wind.

Why not be happy with a 7-3 lead (at worst) and let your offense do their thing?

I think the Falcons probably would have gone for it either way. You cannot say decisively that the timeout changed what the Falcons would have done.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #116
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good answer drive by the Falcons.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #117
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

I liked the first call, but I agree with your analysis of the 2nd call. I didn't like the TO with the result of the play, but I do admire his confidence in the defense. I'm sure he knew the TO would force Atlanta to go for it, and he was confident that his defense would stop them. It didn't work, and with hindsight I don't like the call, but I can see his reasoning.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM   #118
Ben E Lou

Actually, the Falcons' color man made a good point about the time out: Mora isn't exactly a conservative coach; the odds are pretty decent that he would have gone for it regardless. He may have wasted that time out, after all.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #119
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I think the Falcons probably would have gone for it either way. You cannot say decisively that the timeout changed what the Falcons would have done.

Then all the more reason not to take the timeout. What exactly did it change then? If you feel they would have went for it anyway, the TO did nothing for you either way. If you think they are going to kick it, that's exactly what you want. It just doesn't make any sense.

As it is, they got away with giving up the three. . . but it was a much easier three than what they would have attempted from 48 yards out.

Heading into the wind and needing every extra yard you can get at the end of the half, that TO was more valuable in your pocket. Down to one TO now. Make a challenge and lose, you have zero TO's for the first half. If you think you are going to win by 20, fine. But I think this will be a close game all the way through. And I think wasting your TO's like that is just not the way to go.

The Falcons MIGHT have made an idiotic decision and went for the FG if the Eagles don't take the TO. The Eagles just made their decision easy as pie. They are very lucky it didn't turn into a 7-7 game.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 PM   #120
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Obviously he has faith in the defense though. So he either gets a chance to stop them on 4th and 1, or let them kick an even riskier field goal than they would have otherwise.

I think the faith in the defense to keep them out of the end zone even if they did convert the 4th down played a large part in it.

I can see both sides of the call, but I don't think it's a big deal either way.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #121
Ben E Lou

Man, penalties have wiped out three would-be important plays now, Atlanta helped twice, Philly helped once.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

GREAT play by McNabb!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #123
Swaggs
Coordinator

McNabb looked Vick-ish on that play.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #124
General Mike
Pro Starter

2 fucking amazing plays by the Syracuse grad.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #125
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yes! Lewis does it again! Lewis is becoming an X-Factor
Old 01-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #126
TLK
Pro Starter

Lewis pushed off on that catch...

edit- maybe not

Last edited by TLK : 01-23-2005 at 03:08 PM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #127
Ben E Lou

We have GOT to stop them here.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #128
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I liked the first call, but I agree with your analysis of the 2nd call. I didn't like the TO with the result of the play, but I do admire his confidence in the defense. I'm sure he knew the TO would force Atlanta to go for it, and he was confident that his defense would stop them. It didn't work, and with hindsight I don't like the call, but I can see his reasoning.

If it's a 35 yard field goal and in, I LOVE the call. But 50? No way. Again, no defense in their right minds would fall for that fake. Talking to a friend on the phone, we both said it at the same time "watch for the fake"

If you don't think the kicker can hit that field goal, you are better off going for it. Fakes on 50+ yard field goals rarely work in great weather. They have ZERO chance of working in this weather.

Eagles looking good on O and they'll probably win the game regardless. But those were horrible calls. To be blunt, those are the types of calls that keep you out of championship games.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #129
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
McNabb looked Vick-ish on that play.

The difference between Vick and McNabb on that play is that McNabb looks to throw while Vick would just have took off running.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The other Lewis catches it for the TD. He was WIDE open.. love the play call
Old 01-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #131
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think this will be tough to overturn.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:09 PM   #132
TroyF
Coordinator

That's a great catch. TD all the way.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #133
Swaggs
Coordinator

In or out?
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #134
Ben E Lou

Close, but it looks like he got 'em both down.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #135
Dutch
"Dutch"

Boy that looks like he got his right foot down (with a little sod kicked up).
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #136
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You see, that's the difference of why I respect and like McNabb a whole lot more than Vick. I really don't mind happy feet as long as you get out of being sacked and wait for a receiver to get open. McNabb did that while Vick would taken off running and get 7-8 yds. Go Eagles.

Edit: What bask said.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 01-23-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #137
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

REAL close...i say in
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #138
kingfc22
Head Coach

I'm gonna say in as well.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #139
3ric
College Starter

Good thing he remembered to put a footprint in the end zone.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #140
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
Lewis pushed off on that catch...

edit- maybe not

The wind/underthrow really helped them there. I initially thought it was a push-off as well, but the replay was pretty clear that it was not.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

It was very close. Too close to conclusively overturn, so TD
Old 01-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #142
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That angle makes it look like he definitely got the 2nd foot down.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:12 PM   #143
Swaggs
Coordinator

I don't see how they can overturn it.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #144
Swaggs
Coordinator

Damnit. I hate it when Collinsworth agrees with me!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #145
kingfc22
Head Coach

ATL needs to answer again.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #146
Ben E Lou

Big pressure on this possession.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM   #147
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
The wind/underthrow really helped them there. I initially thought it was a push-off as well, but the replay was pretty clear that it was not.

Really nice play by Greg to come back to the ball
Old 01-23-2005, 03:14 PM   #148
Dutch
"Dutch"

The Falcons are slowly losing their grasp on the situation...
Old 01-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #149
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Big pressure on this possession.

Yes, they definately have to make something happen. They cannot afford a 3 and out.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
The Falcons are slowly losing their grasp on the situation...

I don't think it is going to be that slow if they don't score on this upcoming drive. If the Eagles hold and score at least 3 more points before the half, I think this game is going to be extremely hard for the Falcons to get back into.