Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2004, 07:53 PM   #101
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 5th, 2005 -

Excellent news. International play has caused our match with Oldham to be postponed til the 23rd. This will prevent us from having 4 close matches next to each other right now. Of course, at the end of the November we will now have 4 matches in 12 days.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:56 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've reviewed our official attendance reports, and the attendance at matches have routinely been going up. We are averaging 1100 fans per game our last 5 league games. Much better than last year's total where our high for the season was 834. Hopefully, the trend can continue and we might start selling out all 3800 seats we have available.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 5th, 2005 -

Today we travel to play Hinckley who we recently beat 1-0 despite their domination of possession and shots on goal. This match is for the 1st round of the English FA Trophy (not to be confused with the Cup - as I did last year.) They are using the same starting lineup as just a few games ago. We are also using our same starting lineup. They are still heavy favorites (not quite as much as last time) at 4:6.

It's a muddy 35 degrees today.

Our starting lineup:

GK: Scarsella
DL: Barnard
DC: Shepherd
DC: Wall
DR: Black
ML: Wright
MC: Atkins
MR: Collett
AMC: Kelly
SC: Smyth
SC: Farrell

S1: Pettinger
S2: Wood
S3: Dunning
S4: Surey
S5: Palmer

I've decided to wait resting my guys as we have a nice break after the next 2 games. I'll have to rest guys soon enough when we play 4 games in 12 days at the end of November - beginning of December.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:28 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

4 minute mark: Wall gets a yellow card for a hard tackle on Lamey. I hope it doesn't curb his aggressive defense.

19 minute mark: Lamey dribbles into the right side of the box.. draws 2 defenders.. passes between them.. Calliste has the ball by the left post.. he slams it into the net.. no real chance for Scarsella to stop that shot. 1-0 we are down.

1-0 at the half.

Adam Willis is continually frustrating our strikers throughout the 1st half.

47 minute mark: Farrell gets the ball at midfield.. sends it to Kelly.. Kelly is at the edge of the box.. Willis is catching up to him.. Kelly shoots.. it's heading for the upper right corner.. just inches wide.

57 minute mark: Barnard makes a key intervention on Lamey in the box.

59 minute mark: Atkins is very tired, so I sub in Surey. I also sub in Palmer for a tired Smyth.

70 minute mark: Scarsella with a brilliant save of a point blank Lamey shot.

80 minute mark: Farrell has a significant injury. I have to bring in a sub. I have no choice but to play Dunning at the spot (very out of position.)

88 minute mark: Wall tackles Lamey hard.. 2nd yellow card.. he is ejected from the match.

Game over. 1-0 loss. We are out of the English FA Trophy.

We were outshot 12-9 (we outshot them 3-2 for on goal)

Tommy Goodwin (DC) won MoM for Hinckley, 25 of 30 passes, 5 of 5 tackles, 9 of 11 headers, 5 passes intercepted.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #105
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I have to say, I love the fact that international play changed your schedule like that. It shows how well written FM2005 is, to be that dynamic. I've really enjoyed this thread and have thus graded it 5 stars. Keep up the good work
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #106
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 8th, 2005 -

Today we play Gateshead. They were promoted into our league last year. Now they are 2nd in the league just behind my team. We are 1 point ahead of 3 different teams. Gateshead is led the strong defensive play of left fullback David Morgan. Their best striker Vijay Sidhu is just coming back from an injury and we will be the first regular season opponent for him. Gareth McAlindon is their right winger who is the leading scorer on the team with 4 goals. Arran Lee-Barrett is an above average keeper who has played very well for them this year.

We've never played this team before.

It's a cool 38 degrees with slightly overcast skies.

Our starting lineup:
DC: Wood (wall is out due to the automatic one game suspension.)

S2: Curtis
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #107
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I have to say, I love the fact that international play changed your schedule like that. It shows how well written FM2005 is, to be that dynamic. I've really enjoyed this thread and have thus graded it 5 stars. Keep up the good work

Thank you very much. I'm really enjoying playing the game and writing about it.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:10 PM   #108
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

23 minute mark: Andrew Wright receives a pass along the left wing from Shepherd who intercepted a pass deep in my zone. He passes it deep to Kelly. Kelly dribbles into the center of the box.. shoots low and to the right.. the keeper tries to react, but he is too late.. It's in the right side of the net... GOAL!!!! 1-0

25 minute mark: Smyth gets a yellow card for pulling on Sidhu's shirt.

33 minute mark: Barnard intercepts a pass deep in our zone.. he feeds it up the left sideline.. Smyth gets it around midfield. He dribbles across the midfield line.. down the left sideline.. he starts dribbling towards the left corner of the box.. he passes to Kelly just inside the center of the box.. Kelly steps forward.. shoots.. from 20 yards.. low and to the right.. it's past the keeper.... GOAL!!!! 2-0!

2-0 at halftime.

63 minute mark: Ryan Peters, their striker, gets the ball inside our box.. he hits a good solid strike to the lower left corner.. Scarsella dives.. he barely tips it wide of the goal post.

65 minute mark: Kelly is tired, but I decide to give him a few more minutes to complete the hattrick. I do pull Atkins for Surey and Wright for Dunning due to fatigue.

75 minute mark: Smyth sets Kelly up with a breakaway. Kelly is too winded and gets from behind by the defender, but he shoots just as he is about to be caught... it's sailing towards the upper right corner.. it's... wide and high. Time to pull him. He is looking too tired out there.

I sub in Palmer for Kelly.

85 minute mark: Smyth gets called for pulling on David Morgan's shirt. That is his second yellow card. He is ejected!

Game over. 2-0 win for us, and we definitely hold onto first place

We outshot our opposition 12-6 (4-3 on target)

Greg Kelly gets a "10" for form and wins MoM. 21 of 27 passes, 3 of 4 tackles, 3 of 3 headers, 3 runs, 2 goals.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:16 PM   #109
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 8th, 2005 -

Reporters are starting to congregate around me now. Well it's actually only 2 reporters. I decide to let them know that I'm particularly pleased with Greg Kelly's performance as of late and I feel he has been a key contributor in our current league position.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-22-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:27 PM   #110
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 9th, 2005 -

Awoke to find this delightful piece in the newspaper:

"Greg Kelly, the in-form attacking midfielder, has set the football world afire with his play at Wetherby Road. Fans of the team are loving every minute of his recent performances."
Old 12-22-2004, 10:02 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 19th, 2005 -

Today we play 21st ranked Hucknall on our pitch. We are in 1st place by a point still. Hucknall has recently added David Poole from Man Utd on loan. Clearly, he is their most potent striker. He will play alongside Danny Bacon, who has 5 goals from the striker position. Lewis McMahon on loan from Sheff Wed. has been playing very well along the right wing. Gary Patterson has played very consistent defense for them this year. Josh Lennie has had a rough year in goal averaging about 2 goals a game conceded. I think we'll be able to beat him regularly this game if we get good opportunities.

Last year we lost 1-0 to them and tied them 0-0. This year we beat them 2-0 in our road game with them.

We are even odds favorites to beat them this match.

It's a dry cool 45 degrees today.

Our starting Lineup:

SC: Palmer (playing with a slight injury due to Smyth's ban for this match)

S3: Hunter (may need to play striker if Palmer can't play the whole match or even most of it.)
S5: Turley
Old 12-22-2004, 10:20 PM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

14 minute mark: Mark Smith, Hucknall's midfielder, gets a yellow for a harsh tackle on Collett.

43 minute mark: Collett intercepts the ball in our own zone about halfway in. He sends a long pass down the pitch.. it's rolling into the box.. the keeper looks indecisive about if he should come get the ball.. Palmer beats his defender to it.. he is running good despite his rib injury.. he dribbles to his left one step... he shoots.. going for the sharp angle.. it's heading towards the right corner... the keeper can't get to it.. GOAL!!! Palmer scores!!! 1-0!

1-0 at the half.

50 minute mark: Their keeper kicks the ball very long.. McSweeney races to the ball.. my keeper races to it.. McSweeney gets to the ball first.. he dribbles around Scarsella.. open net.. he shoots it high!! Whew!

61 minute mark: Atkins gets the ball at midfield.. plays a nice ball for Palmer.. he is all alone in the box.. he shoots.. the keeper barely gets to it and tips it over the bar.

Palmer looks quite tired. I decide to sub in Turley for him.

66 minute mark: Poole is the beneficiary of a great corner kick.. he hits a great header.. Scarsella barely tips it over the bar.

72 minute mark: Hunter in for Collett, Surey in for Atkins.

76 minute mark: Kelly gets the ball in the left corner of the pitch.. he crosses it to Surey who is by the far post.. what a pass.. Surey heads it.. right past the keeper... GOAL!!! 2-0

82 minute mark: Barnard intercepts the pass deep in our own zone from Poole. Barnard sends it down the left sideline.. very far down the sideline. Turley races to it.. he centers the ball.. Farrell is by the far post.. he heads it.. the keeper tips it.. but it still hits the back of the net.. GOAL!!!! 3-0

Game over. 3-0 win for us!

We outshot them 10-7 (6-2 on goal)

Andrew Wright wins MoM for us, 33 of 38 passes, 1 of 4 tackles, 1 of 6 headers, 3 passes intercepted, 2 runs.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #113
jbmagic
Pro Starter

nice season so far

what has been the key for you to improve so much from season 1 to season 2?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:42 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think the fact that I took a chance and went significantly over my wage budget and brought in these free players. Without a doubt, practicing together has really helped Kelly, Smyth, and Farrell to become a lethal trio up front. Also, acquiring Scarsella halfway through last season was key. His attributes continue to rise, and he looks to me like a keeper who I would actually use in League 2 or even League 1 now. His attributes are quite nice for a lower league keeper. Oh yeah, Wall has been a "wall" for our defense. The guy is playing great. We have much more depth this year. Palmer was also a nice pickup and can play well as a backup as can Hunter. Our wage bill is high, but the chairman doesn't seem to mind as he keeps gushing about us in the media. I just hope we don't go bankrupt (if we do, the league appointed bankruptcy receivers will make us sell players.)
Old 12-22-2004, 10:54 PM   #115
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 23rd, 2005 -

The day has arrived. It's time to play Oldham in the 1st round of the English FA Cup. Where to start when talking about this team? Well, as if they weren't already good enough they have an excellent looking keeper on loan from Aston Villa. His name is Rhys Evans and this 23 year old looks like the real deal. Scoring against him will be tough. Dean Holden, their right fullback looks like he will make the defense very strong. Their main DC's, Will Haining and Danny Hall also look talented. Their midfield has had a bad year, and that gives me a bit of encouragement. Their strikers, Wayne Andrews and Rodney Jack have both looked good this year. This will be a very difficult match.

Not surprisingly the oddsmakers agree. Oldham is 1:10 odds to win this match. We are 15:1 odds to win the match. I wonder how the league would feel if I put 20 on my team?

It's going to be a dry crisp 37 degrees. Here is a look at the preview of the match. I notice that they are playing several backups against us, and this gives me a glimmer of hope:
Old 12-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #116
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

good luck
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #117
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

9 minute mark: Scarsella saves a strong shot that came from Wayne Andrews 15 yards out.

15 minute mark: Oldham has totally dominated the first 15 minutes, but we get a breakaway on the counterattack. Kelly is tripped by Adam Griffin. Wayne Andrews argues the call with the ref. Andrews gets a yellow card.

26 minute mark: Kelly gets the ball from Collett in the box.. he shoots.. the keeper easily saves it.

40 minute mark: We've actually been getting some good plays in their zone, but Mark Arber is playing great defense for them.

42 minute mark: Rodney Jack gets a yellow card for tripping Smyth!

0-0 at halftime!

55 minute mark: Smyth gets the ball inside the left edge of the box, after a great pass from Atkins. Dean Holden quickly closes in and slide tackles Smyth knocking the ball away.

62 minute mark: Carl McGuire gets a yellow card for pulling Collett's jersey.

70 minute mark: Andrews gets an errant pass from Shepherd.. and goes by him.. 1-1 with the keeper.. Scarsella deflects the shot and Wall clears the rebound.

85 minute mark: Scott Vernon a backup striker.. gets a great pass in our box.. he looks sure to score.. he shoots it.. just wide right.. I let out a sigh of relief.

I sub Smyth out for Palmer, and Surey out for Atkins.

Wow.. Game over. 0-0 tie! I see this as a major moral victory against this tough team. We had an almost full house of 3624, and we will now get to go play in their stadium for a rematch game to decide this round of the English FA Cup once and for all.

We both had 8 shots (4-2 on goal in their favor)

Scarsella won MoM with an 8 for form for his 4 saves which were all very good saves.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:22 PM   #118
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

good performance, else can't remember but I think in the cup you get 50% of ticket revenues, so let's hope there's a big crowd for the rematch
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:15 AM   #119
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup, this is why small teams hope for an away game at bigger teams in th FA CUp. Because they get PAID.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:42 AM   #120
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd like to read the thrashing Oldham gets in their local papers after only tying a "lowly" conference team
how do you know?

Old 12-23-2004, 07:44 AM   #121
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Eh, it happens, it's one of the things that makes the FA Cup so loveable. because truly, any team can win it.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:52 PM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 24th, 2005 -

No big articles on our 0-0 tie of Oldham. However, I read today that Hinckley has sold Adam Willis for 28,000 dollars to Wycombe (league 2.) I'm very glad to see Willis leave my division, and I think this will be of significant help in beating Hinckley in future matches unless they obtain a similar quality DC.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:09 PM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 26th, 2005 -

The rematch is about to start against Oldham. I see no choice but to play our best guys, so we are starting the same 11, with the same reserves. This game will go into extra time if it is tied at the end of regulation, and it will go to penalty shots if it is tied after that. Again we are 15:1 underdogs, with Oldham being 1:10 favorites to win the match.

It's supposed to be a overcast 35 degree day. I hope the cold doesn't keep the crowds away. They have a 13,624 all seater stadium.

Surprisingly, Oldham is using almost the same lineup, except Richard Lomax is in at right wing. Also Mark Bonner is in at midfield instead of Eyre.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #124
rexallllsc
Banned

What skin is that? Stone? (Awesome reading, btw)
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:51 PM   #125
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

3 minute mark: Wall with a big tackle on Rodney Jack in the box.

20 minute mark: After a flurry of activity in front of our own goal, Wall clears it to Smyth who take it to midfield.. fires a pass up the field to Kelly. Kelly has a shot.. he goes for the right corner of the net.. Pogliacomi dives.. tips it wide of the net.. wow we almost scored!

25 minute mark: Barnard with a big tackle on Lomax who is abusing Wright. Lomax is looking very good for Oldham along the right wing.

32 minute mark: Scarsella stops a blistering shot from Bonner that was taken from the Center of the box.

44 minute mark: Collett plays a great ball down the right sideline for Farrell.. he races into the corner.. he has room.. he sees Kelly.. good centering pass.. great shot from Kelly from 10 yards out... It's heading towards the right corner.. the keeper dives.. tips it wide again.

Halftime: 0-0 score. Only 3297 fans showed up Oh well, still better than most of our games.

47 minute mark: Black with a key header to prevent a Lomax cross from reaching Wayne Andrews for an almost certain goal.

52 minute mark: Kelly gets a yellow card for a trip on Mark Bonner. Smyth argues the call and gets a yellow card too!! F#!#

60 minute mark: Atkins is tired (as are several other guys) but this game could go another 60 minutes with extra time. I decide to try to get a bit more out of Atkins before subbing him. I also have to consider who are my best penalty shooters.

70 minute mark: Wall with a good header to clear away a Lomax cross.

74 minute mark: DARN IT!! Smyth gets called for a two legged tackle on the left fullback Griffin. Yellow card.. that is his 2nd. He is ejected.

Atkins is truly exhausted (and isn't a good penalty taker) so I sub in Surey who is my best at the position, but also a poor penalty taker.

80 minute mark: Surey plays a free kick to Shepherd... he shoots from 22 yards out.. it's a screamer.. just over the bar.

88 minute mark: Our defense withstands a flurry of shots from in our own end zone with Wall finally clearing it. We are a tired team, but I decide to keep my 2 subs on the bench for a little longer.

Regulation time is over. 0-0 tie still!

Time for extra time:

I sub in Dunning for Wright (exhausted.) Dunning is a poor penalty taker, but Wright isn't one of my top 5 anyway. I also sub in Palmer for Farrell who is exhausted. Palmer is slightly better than Farrell in practice.

96 minute mark: Palmer gets the ball on the breakaway.. after Wall clears a flurry of activity from in front of our goal.. Palmer is racing past the tired defenders.... he takes it towards the right goal post.. he sees Kelly running up towards the center of the net.. he draws the keeper.. he passes.. good pass.. Kelly shoots.. upper left corner.. keeper can't get to it.. GOAL!!!! GOAL!!! GOAL!!!! 1-0 us

99 minute mark: Ian Robinson (one of their 3 subs to come on at 75 minute mark: takes a corner kick from right of the goal.. he sends it to the far post.. Scott Vernon (another sub) heads it.. it's a sharp angle.. heading back towards the other post.. Scarsella can't get to it.. it's inside the post.. goal. 1-1 game.

104 minute mark: Bonner stops a Kelly pass to Palmer deep in their zone. Bonner sends it down most of the field to Wes Wilkinson (the third sub).. Wilkinson quickly flicks it to Rodney Jack who is by the left post.. Jack shoots.. Scarsella can't get to it.. It looks like Jack was offside.. no flag.. the goal stands.. 2-1.

Half time of Extra Time: Down 2-1.

109 minute mark: Bonner gets the ball at midfield from their keeper.. he sends it quickly to Scott Vernon who is at the periphery of the box.. Vernon unleashes a quick shot to the upper right corner.. Scarsella dives.. he can't get to it.. goal. We are down 3-1 now.

120 minute mark. Game over. 3-1 loss. I'm proud of how hard the guys fought. We eventually became exhausted, but we played a good game.

They outshot us 16-10 (7-4 on goal)

Wayne Andrews won MoM for Oldham. 35 of 42 passes, 0 tackles, 6 of 10 headers, 1 pass intercepted, 2 runs.

Edited to add: Also amazed that we scored on them while down a guy. Really a great game by my team as I reflect on it a bit more.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-23-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #126
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexallllsc
What skin is that? Stone? (Awesome reading, btw)

Yes, it is Stone skin. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #127
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

November 29th, 2005 -

Today we host 9th ranked Halifax. They were relegated from the Conference National last year, and they still retain several quality players. Their midfielder Steve Haslam is a very talented 26 year old who has been one of the top guys in our league this year so far. They have left fullback, Ashley Probets on loan from Rochdale and he is playing well also. Steve Basham has scored 5 goals this season from his striker position. Their 27 year old keeper, Dimitrios Konstantopoulos looks *very* good this year. He is averaging 0.65 goals/per game conceded.

Not surprisingly, Halifax is 4:7 favorites to win this match with the odds of us winning being 4:1. Despite this, I need to rest several key guys due to fatigue from the marathon last match.

Kelly will get the game off due to fatigue. Smyth is banned for one game. Farrell will get the game off due to fatigue.

My starting lineup:

AMC: Hunter
SC: Palmer
SC: Turley

S5: Morris

It's a sloppy wet field. The temperature is 36 degrees.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #128
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

21 minute mark: Wall intercepts a pass deep in our zone. His header goes to Hunter who is at midfield. Hunter sends a decent pass down the field. Palmer is racing for it.. the keeper is coming out of the box to get to it.. Palmer beats him to it.. dribbles left.. around the keeper.. flicks it towards the center of the goal.. GOAL!!!! 1-0

39 minute mark: Fowler takes a corner kick.. sends it towards Basham who is by the near post.. Barnard jumps with Basham.. Basham heads it.. it's into the back of the net with a perfect header. Goal. 1-1.

44 minute mark: Turley picks up an injury. I'll have to sub him ASAP.

Half Time. 1-1. I sub in Morris for Turley.

60 minute mark: Surey for Atkins and Dunning for Wright.

Conservative second half by both sides ends 1-1.

We outshot them 3-2 (1-1 on goal.)

Steve Basham wins MoM for Halifax. 24 of 25 passes, 0 tackles, 3 of 6 headers, 1 interception, 1 run, 1 goal.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post game info:

Despite the tie, we remain in 1st place and we are now 3 points ahead of our nearest competitor. We are 13 games into the season and we are still unbeaten this season (in league play) with a 7 win, 6 draw record for a total of 27 points. The league winner had 80 points last year, and with our next game we will be a third of the way through the season. With the recent loss to Oldham we are out of cup games and we are just focused on league play.

Also of note, we are the beneficiaries of 122,000 dollars in gate receipts this month! This is more than we had the entire year up to this point, and led to an 80,000 dollar profit this month!

This profit cut a significant amount of our debt (but did not eliminate it.)
Old 12-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 3rd, 2005 -

Mr. Fotherby has told me he is absolutely thrilled with my management of the club.

Today we are in 1st place still and we face 20th ranked Altrincham on our home pitch. Last year we tied Altrincham 1-1 at home, and lost to them 1-0 on the road. Their most consistent player has been left fullback Chris Adams. Scott Brown has played well in the midfield. Rod Thornley has been their most dangerous striker with 7 goals, but he is injured for this game due to a groin strain. Stuart Coburn their keeper has had a subpar year with almost 2 goals per game conceded.

We are 6:4 favorites.

It's a dry sunny 39 degrees today.

Our lineup:

Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 PM   #131
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

17 minute mark: Mark Maddox gets a yellow card for holding Smyth.

They play turtle for most of the 1st half smothering our offensive opportunities.

0-0 at the half.

48 minute mark: Atkins steals the ball at midfield.. quickly passes to Wright on the left wing. Wright centers to Kelly who inside the left half of the box.. Kelly quickly passes to Farrell who is just a few yards to his right at the center of the box. Farrell shoots.. powerful shot.. left of the keeper.. he can't get to it... GOAL!!! 1-0

65 minute mark: Atkins is winded so I sub in Surey. Also, Dunning is on and Wright is off the pitch.

70 minute mark: Smyth steals the ball at midfield.. he passes up the field to Kelly who receives it just outside the box.. Kelly dribbles between the two defenders.. into the box.. shoots.. heading towards the right lower corner.. the keeper can't get to it.. what a goal by Kelly!!! 2-0

77 minute mark: Dunning gets the ball on the left wing.. he dribbles up the left sideline.. crosses the ball for Kelly who is in the middle of the box.. Kelly heads it.. misplays it.. it's a weak shot towards the right corner.. the keeper looks like he is surprised how it came off Kelly's head.. he tries to move towards the shot, but is too late.. it's in off the post!!! GOAL!!! 3-0!

Game over. 3-0 win for us.

We outshot them 10-1 (4-0 on goal)

Kelly wins MoM, 18 of 24 passes, 1 of 1 tackles, 7 of 10 headers, 2 interceptions, 2 runs, 2 goals.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #132
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post match: I notice that Atkins also had a 9 for form this game, and his average of 7.56 is third best on the team (behind Kelly and Wright) so I decide to praise Atkins. I would have praised Wright but he only had a 7 this game, and I just recently praised Kelly. Hopefully, the fans will agree. Atkins is definitely getting it done when he can play. Not bad for a 37 year old midfielder.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:59 PM   #133
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 4th, 2005 -

Hundreds of fans called into the newspaper to state they agree with my recent comments about Atkins in the media. They hold him in very high regard and believe he is a key component of our top of the league position.

Speaking of which, we are now 6 points ahead of the 2nd place team with our 30 points at the 14 game mark in the season (a third of the way through.)

We have 8 wins, 6 draws, and 0 losses.

We are tied for second in the league with 26 goals scored. Worksop leads the league with 27 goals scored.

We lead the league in goals allowed with only 5 conceded. Scarsella has been getting plenty of clean sheet bonuses. The next team is Alfreton, which is second in the league with 24 points, who have conceded 8 goals.

Our goal differential of +21 is by far the best in the league. Second is Nuneaton with a plus 9 differential.

Kelly has 10 league goals and Smyth has 8. This puts Kelly at 2nd behind leader Gez Murphy who has 15 for Nuneaton, and Smyth is in a tie for 10th.

Andrew Wright's 7.77 form is 3rd in the league. Gez Murphy leads the league with a 8.23, Kye Holly of Gateshead is 2nd with a 7.89.

Greg Kelly is 4th in average form with a 7.76, Scarsella is 6th with a 7.69, and Atkins is 7th with a 7.64. We are the only team in the league with 2 or more guys in the top 10. Droylsden is the only team with 2 guys who are averaging over a 7.50.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:15 PM   #134
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 7th, 2005 -

Today we face Northwich for the first time. They were relegated from the English Conference National last year. We are playing on their pitch. They are led by keeper Andy Ralph who has played very well recently. George Glegg provides most of the offense, and he has 7 goals on the year. They have recently acquired Jake Sedgemore on loan from Shrewsbury and my scout believes he is a very talented midfielder. They have also recently acquired Mark Tierney on loan from Oldham and he is a skilled right fullback.

Not surprisingly, they are 4:6 favorites with 7:2 odds that we will win.

It's 50 degrees and sunny today. We are using the exact same lineup as last match.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #135
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

17 minute mark: Glegg gets open in our end.. dribbles into the box.. hits a good shot towards the left corner.. Scarsella easily saves it.

23 minute mark: A very intricate series of passes from Kelly to Farrell to Wright to Smyth to Wright ends up with a Wright shot from 20 yards out. Ralph saves it cleanly.

25 minute mark: Kelly dribbles into the box.. sees Atkins open to his left.. passes between two defenders.. Atkins shoots.. for the topshelf left side... Ralph gets over and tips it over the bar.

36 minute mark: Kelly dribbles into the box.. around the defender.. shoots from 15 yards.. Ralph saves it.

40 minute mark: Glegg collides with Black in our zone. Black appears hurt.

45 minute mark: Sedgemore gets a pass from Glegg. Sedgemore shoots.. Scarsella saves it cleanly.

0-0 at the half.

Black looks really hurt, I decide to pull him from the game despite his insistence that he can play still.

I put Wood in for him.

50 minute mark: Collett with a great defensive play inside our own box. Clears it down the field, but Smyth can't get to it before it goes out of bounds.

65 minute mark: Farrell is tired, so I sub in Palmer for him. Also, I put Dunning in for the tired Collett.

73 minute mark: Dunning gets the ball on the right wing.. dribbles a few steps.. passes it nicely to Kelly. Kelly has it inside the box.. from 15 yards out.. he shoots... heading towards the right upper corner.. it grazes the bar as it sails over.

77 minute mark: Kelly gets the ball inside the box.. three defenders surround him.. they steal it before he can shoot.

80 minute mark: Terry Barwick gets the ball on the counter attack.. Wall is closing in on him.. he shoots from 25 yards out.. it's a long curving shot.. Scarsella waves at it as it sails over his left shoulder as it curves.. it's in the back of the net! Goal. We are down 1-0.

84 minute mark: Smyth gets the ball thanks to a pass from Atkins inside the left edge of the box.. shoots for the right corner.. it's past the keeper... just wide.

88 minute mark: Smyth looks to latch onto the long pass inside the pass.. flag up.. Smyth is ruled offsides.

89 minute mark: Atkins draws a defender to him at midfield... dribbles past him.. passes to Kelly.. he is open inside the box.. he shoots.. the keeper tips it over the bar.

Game over. The unbeaten streak is over. We lose 1-0.

We outshot them 13-8 (5-4 on goal)

Atkins wins MoM, 43 of 50 passes, 7 of 9 tackles, 3 of 7 headers, 1 interception, 1 run, 1 shot on goal.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:45 PM   #136
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post match report: Kelly sprained his wrist and the physio says he will miss a week, including a match in 3 days. I can't help but wonder why he needs his wrist to play soccer. Oh well, it will be good to give him a little rest.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 PM   #137
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 9th, 2005 -

Grant Black broke 3 ribs in practice today. The physio says he will miss about a month. This is a costly blow to the team. Hopefully, Wood can step it up at right full back.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:39 PM   #138
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ugh, some bad injuries there. I've never dominated CM like this, so this is a very interesting read.

My copy of FM2005 didn't come today though it was over-nighted. I think it probably had to do with FEDEX's Memphis hub and yesterday's snow storm. Soo....you have hereby been assigned to pull an all-nighter so I can live vicariously through Harrogate. Get to work!
how do you know?

Old 12-23-2004, 09:38 PM   #139
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Ugh, some bad injuries there. I've never dominated CM like this, so this is a very interesting read.

My copy of FM2005 didn't come today though it was over-nighted. I think it probably had to do with FEDEX's Memphis hub and yesterday's snow storm. Soo....you have hereby been assigned to pull an all-nighter so I can live vicariously through Harrogate. Get to work!

I took a break to play some Madden 2005 on my X-Box, and I was going to play something else on my laptop a bit, but reading this, I'm now ready to play some more FM.

Unfortunately, I don't think Ms. Eaglesfan would appreciate an all nighter on FM
Old 12-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #140
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 10th, 2005 -

Today we play Wakefield and Emley for the first time. This team was promoted into our conference last year. They are currently 22nd and appear likely to be heading back down. Their best player is Robert Pell, a striker, who has 7 goals this year. Scott Clarke, his partner up front, is also dangerous and has 5 goals on the year. However, their midfield has been very inconsistent. Their keeper Paul Cuss has been giving up over 2 goals a game. Mark Monington is their best defender, and he is currently 35 and appears to be fading according to my scout.

We are even odds favorites to win this game.

Our lineup:

DR: Wood (for the injured Black)
AMC: Hunter (for the injured Kelly)

It's a wet field and it's 40 degrees today.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:19 PM   #141
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

2 minute mark: F$%@! Wood goes down with an injury. He is holding his leg. It doesn't look good. The physio tells me that Wood must come out of the game. I sub in Curtis at right full back.

6 minute mark: Collett intercepts a pass deep in our turf.. He sends a long pass.. at least 50 yards down the field.. Smyth catches up to it in the left corner of the box.. the keeper comes out to try to cut down the angle.. Smyth shoots for the right corner.. screamer of a shot.. right into the net.. GOAL!!! 1-0

10 minute mark: Smyth gets the ball alone in the box.. left side.. he steps forward one or two steps.. shoots.. the keeper tips it over the bar.

14 minute mark: Smyth burns by his man down the left side of the field.. dribbles towards the left corner of the box.. dribbles around another defender.. into the box.. towards the left post.. draws a third defender toward him.. passes around the defender to Farrell who is by the far post.. Farrell immediately kicks the pass.. into the goal!! GOAL!!!! 2-0

18 minute mark: Collett steals the ball at midfield from the left winger.. plays a perfect pass to the right corner of the box for Farrell.. Farrell catches up to it.. beats the defender.. dribbles three steps.. goes for the narrow angle towards the right side of the net.. shoots.. keeper can't stop it.. GOAL!!!! 3-0. What a way to respond to our loss!

26 minute mark: Pell gets a breakaway in our box.. Shepherd is trying to catch up to him.. Pell falls.. whistle.. oh no.. oh yes.. Pell is given a yellow card for Diving!!

41 minute mark: Collett passes the ball up the right wing. Farrell gets to the ball.. he is in the right corner.. he centers it to Smyth who is in the middle of the box. Smyth immediately shoot for the lower right corner. The keeper is totally out of position.. easy GOAL!!!! 4-0

That is Smyth's 10th goal of the year.

Half time: 4-0 score.

57 minute mark: Shepherd with 2 big clearances of offensive efforts by the opposition.

58 minute mark: With the game in hand, I give Wall a rest and bring in Dunning (my utility man who seems to do ok wherever I put him) and I also sub out Atkins for Surey.

63 minute mark: Curtis steals the ball deep in our zone.. he passes to Surey.. Surey sends a long pass to Smyth who races past both defenders... gets the ball for a breakaway.. dribbles confidently into the box.. dribbles to his left.. around the keeper.. shoots a really soft shot.. the keeper scrambles back into position.. blocks it, but can't control the rebound.. Smyth gets the rebound.. unleashes a hard shot.. into the net.. there is his hat trick!!!! GOAL!!!! 5-0

Game over. 5-0 win! (Our largest ever)

We outshot them 16-9 (9-1 on goal)

Smyth wins MoM (big surprise), 14 of 20 passes, 0 tackles, 2 of 3 headers, 1 pass intercepted, 5 runs, 1 assist, 3 goals. 10 for form.

I really want to praise Smyth to the media, but I just did so for Atkins recently. I fear that the team will stop listening to my praise if I offer it too frequently, so I stop my inclination to praise Smyth after this match.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-23-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:32 PM   #142
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

(OOC) Probably no more updates tonight as Ms. Eaglesfan left work early as the restaurant was dead tonight. I'm looking forward to lots of FM tomorrow when she is at work. I really can't wait to see how this emotional high carries the team into the upcoming games. /(OOC)
Old 12-24-2004, 07:13 AM   #143
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
(OOC)I'm looking forward to lots of FM tomorrow when she is at work. /(OOC)

me too . It's my early morning with the kids, so I'm waiting here patiently. Paging EaglesFan, paging Eaglesfan
how do you know?

Old 12-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #144
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Despite my general self-imposed moriatorium on signing players, I keep sending my scout out into the English countryside. Today, he brought back video and impressions of a kid who is too good to just ignore. Sean St. Ledger has been with Petersborough the last 4 years. He only appeared in 2 matches for them last year, but had a 7.50 average in form. My scout seems to believe he has all the qualities to make an exceptional lower league defender. I have to agree with him. The kid has just been released on a free transfer. I decide to offer the kid 300 dollars a week to come play for us.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:05 PM   #145
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 14th, 2005 -

St. Ledger told me that he wasn't really interested in playing English Conference North football, as he felt he was a higher quality player. Against my better judgement, I offer him another offer of 400 dollars per week.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 17th, 2005 -

Today we travel to play 5th ranked Alfreton. They have the 2nd best defense in the league behind our own. Adam Capp, their 21 year old keeper, has played phenomenally this year with 10 clean sheets. Carl Bradshaw, their best DC, is suspended for this game and that will likely work to our benefit. Mark Ashton, their right fullback, is the best active defender in this game for their side today. Peter Duffield is an explosive striker who has had 6 goals in the last 3 games, and has 12 on the season.

Despite this we are even odds favorites to win this game on the road.

It's going to be around 50 degrees with periodic showers throughout the game.

Our lineup:
AMC: Kelly (freshly back from his injury)

Old 12-24-2004, 03:48 PM   #147
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

9 minute mark: Intricate series of passes for Alfreton up the field.. Grant Brown to Chris Bettney to Chris Dolby to Bettney at the edge of the box.. to Mark Sale inside the right half of the box.. Sale hits a quick accurate shot.. it's heading for the upper right corner.. Scarsella dives.. it's past him.. into the net. Goal. We are down 1-0.

15 minute mark: Atkins intercepts a long pass at midfield.. sends it to Wright on the left wing.. Wright plays a good pass up the field.. towards the center of the box for Kelly. He is beating his man to the ball.. dribbles inside the box.. to his left.. around the keeper who has come out... open net.. he blasts it into the center of the net!! GOAL!!! 1-1.

22 minute mark: Dolby takes the ball up the left wing.. dribbles around Collett.. down the left sideline.. crosses it.. Mark Sale outjumps Wall.. he heads it.. Scarsella can't get to it as it sails over his shoulder.. goal. Down 2-1.

27 minute mark: Mark Hume gets a yellow card for a trip on Smyth just outside the box. Atkins takes the direct kick from 21 yards.. the wall is formed.. Smyth blasts a shot through a little crease in the wall.. it's heading for the upper right corner.. the keeper seems like he can't pick it up... it's past him before he can react.. GOAL!!! 2-2.

That is Atkins' first goal of the year.

38 minute mark: Wall intercepts a pass intended for Sale deep in our box.. he sends a LONG pass down the length of the pitch. Smyth races two defenders to get to it as it is rolling toward the box.. he gets to it.. dribbles to his left.. shoots to the right of the keeper... Capp dives.. can't get to it.. GOAL!!!! 3-2.

42 minute mark: The opposition has a corner kick in our zone. Kelly jumps with Sale.. he gets called for unfair jumping! Penalty kick awarded

Peter Duffield steps up to take the penalty kick... he shoots to his right.. Scarsella anticipates and moves to his left.. blocks the shot!!! Duffield has the rebound.. he shoots.. Scarsella recovers and smothers the shot!!! What a play by Scarsella!

44 minute mark: Barnard intercepts a pass deep in our zone.. he sends it to Smyth who is just past midfield.. Smyth dribbles past a defender.. dribbling.. still running faster than the defense.. into the box.. towards the left post.. the keeper is trying to cut off the far post angle.. Smyth shoots towards the left post... the keeper can't quite get to it.. GOAL!!! 4-2 (what a scoring outburst considering we had only given up 6 league goals coming into the match and they had only given up 10!)

Halftime: 4-2 us.

47 minute mark: Wall intercepts a pass deep in our zone. He sends it to Kelly at midfield.. Kelly plays the ball up for Smyth.. he is at least 10 yards ahead of the nearest defender.. dribbles into the box.. surprised he wasn't called for offside.. keeper comes out to take away the angle.. Smyth shoots for the right post.. Capp smothers the shot.

48 minute mark: Kelly intercepts the pass at midfield.. he sends it to Smyth on the left edge of the box.. Smyth dribbles into the box.. shoots for the right post.. past the keeper.. it's sailing towards the goal.. grazes the bar as it goes over. Smyth seems determined to get the hattrick.

52 minute mark: Collett slips on the wet field and he looks hurt.. the physio has determined that he isn't fit to play any more this match. I sub in Dunning for him.

65 minute mark: Surey on for the very tired Atkins, Palmer on for the similarly tired Kelly.

66 minute mark: Palmer is racing past Mark Hume who throws a vicious trip... 2nd yellow card for Hume! He is ejected.

71 minute mark: Scarsella cleanly saves a hard Duffield shot.. he sends it to Farrell who is at midfield.. Farrell plays the through ball for Smyth towards the edge of the box.. Smyth gets it.. dribbles towards the center of the box.. the keeper tries to anticipate his move.. smyth dribbles to his left.. shoots for the lower right corner.. Cap can't get to it.. GOAL!!! 5-2. That is Smyth's hattrick!!

73 minute mark: Surey intercepts the pass at midifeld.. he sends it down into the right corner.. Farrell races to it.. he gets to it.. he centers for Smyth who is by the far left post.. Smyth gets the pass.. shoots for the center of the net... it's past Capp!! GOAL!!!! 6-2. Smyth has 2 in 2 minutes and 4 for the match. I think that is a league record!! Smyth now has 15 goals on the year!

Game over. 6-2 win. I'm thrilled with the amazing offensive outburst against this team that had given up 10 league goals in 16 or 17 previous league games.

They outshot us 16-15. (10-7 on goal in our favor)

Andrew Wright, Andy Farrell, and Mark Smyth all had 10's for form, but Smyth won MoM this game. Smyth completed all 15 of 15 passes, 0 tackles, 1 of 2 headers, 8 runs, 1 assist, 5 shots on goal, 4 goals.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Post Match Info:

Benjamin Collett partially tore 1 of his ankle ligaments. I sent him to a specialist who recommends no game action for 3 weeks while he undergoes intensive physiotherapy.

Mark Smyth tweaked his knee and the physio believes he will be out for about a week, which means he will miss our upcoming match with Barrow at the bare minimum.

Ben Surey strained his quadriceps muscle and will miss at least 5 days, including the game against Barrow.

Mark Smyth set a league record with 4 goals in a match.

We set a record for the highest scoring league game with the 6-2 final score.

Mr. Fotherby is absolutely giddy at our recent performances and is gushing about me to the media.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #149
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

St. Ledger told me there was no way he would play for an English Conference North team. I decided to listen to him, and didn't offer him any further deals.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:23 PM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

December 20th, 2005 -

Today we travel to play 7th ranked Barrow. We are currently in 1st place and 7 points ahead of the 3 teams tied for 2nd. This is a game marked by injuries as we both have 5 players out with injuries. Unfortunately, Barrow's leading scorer Michael Kewley is not one of the injured players. Kewley has been on a goal scoring streak lately, and he has 14 on the season. However, their top midfielder (and second leading scorer) Graham Anthony is out this game due to a sore shoulder. Their main right winger, Ian Kilford, is also out with an injury. Their top defender, Mark Salmon is looking good in the last 5 games. Their keeper, Simon Bishop, has had a very good year.

Possibly due to all of our injuries, they are 6:4 favorites.

We are expecting light showers, and it is 35 degrees today.

Our starting lineup:

MR: Fox (for the injured Collett)
SC: Palmer (for the injured Smyth)

S4: Hunter
S5: Turley

We beat them 1-0 on the road last year, and tied them 1-1 at home.