Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2004, 07:37 AM   #101
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ok - started a legacy with Navy last night after playing a few games with Maryland.

In Maryland's first game, we lost by 20 at Oregon - something like 104-84. I was therefore concerned with too much scoring, so I lowered the amount of real minutes in the game. After playing a game against Boston College, scoring still seemed a little too high, so I lowered the minutes to 15 minute halves. I then played my first home game and beat Youngstown State, 61-44. Ok...after that game I then realized I just shot way too early (and never ran down the clock) in my first game, so I re-upped the clock to 20 minute halves and started with Navy. Ugh, it's very tough going from a team like Maryland to Navy . Our first game was against UMBC (it's so cool to see the different venues - was like playing in a high school compared to the Comcast Center) and the Terriers looked like they would have given the Larry Bird-era Celtics trouble as they were shooting lights-out in building a 41-22 halftime lead. In the second half, we started playing better and actually cut the lead to single-digits before finally succumbing, 81-67. I'll call it a moral victory

Things i see:

Recruiting is massively in-depth...probably too much (for me). I'll probably let my assistants handle the majority of it but tack on a few visits here and there for prospects I really like.

The games themselves are really a lot of fun to play - much better than last year's version. I love how the statistics are just a natural by-product of the game. My Navy squad pretty much stinks - so it's nice to see there's no guy with 21 rebounds or 25 points. The scoring, rebounding, assists occur naturally and look very realistic. With the fatigue on, the auto-subbing seems very natural.

Anyone else notice a problem scoring when relatively close to the basket? I have what looks like a fast break, but my team rarely can actually get the ball in the net in those situations. It's almost a catch-22 however, as the statistics from the games seem very much inline with what I'd expect - if we were constantly scoring from the inside we'd be shooting 80% from the field (instead of the 42% we're seeing right now).

I've had no problems with the crowd - when they go on a run against me and I'm the away team, the crowd goes nuts - they're instantly silenced when I hit a big-three or slam dunk on a fastbreak which is very realistic.

I love the new free throw system. You can tell the bad shooters from the good ones and they shoot that way, yet you still feel you have some influence.

I love the fact (as others have stated) there are fouls called in the game. If you try to get chippy and go for the steal all the time, you'll have guys foul out - so there's a definite risk and reward.

And the #1 that has amazed me about this game - it's playable right out of the box. Although there are a myriad of sliders, I haven't touched any of them. After the fiasco surrounding NCAA Football 2005 this is a welcome change.

If I have to accept an occasional first round upset of a #1 seed in this game, that's ok with me - the rest of the game more than makes up for it.

One question for players who have experienced legacy more than I have. Are the weekly polls realistic? I hate to see teams win one game against a non-ranked opponent skyrocket from unranked to #4 in the nation, as well as seeing teams ranked in the top 10 sporting a 6-5 record (though that may happen in this year's RL ACC - ha).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #102
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quick update before I go to work: My UNO Privateers got blown out against Mississippi State. I don't remember the exact score, but the margin was about 30. I couldn't stop the Bulldogs from hitting 3-point shots. Their guards were killing me from the outside. When I finally switched my 2-3 zone to a 3-2 zone, they just dumped the ball inside to their center. My team doesn't have enough size to stop SEC competition in the paint.

After a rocky start, I imagine that I have a few more tough games ahead, but I'll be glad when I get to Sun Belt conference play against teams that are most closely matched with mine. Yes, losing to Tulane was a bit of a shocker, but LSU and Mississippi State completely dismantled me. Bring on Florida International!

(please)

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 11-20-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 11:27 AM   #103
jbmagic
Pro Starter

can you pick your non-divisions opponent for the schedule?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #104
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
can you pick your non-divisions opponent for the schedule?

Yes, if you want to.

In last year's game, certain teams wouldn't play you if you weren't prestigious enough (for instance, I couldn't get Duke to visit me at UNO), although that may have changed this year. When I was farting around with the game before I really got into my dynasty, I checked to see if I could schedule Duke for a home game, and it allowed me to. There didn't seem to be any restrictions on which teams I could schedule. That's probably a good thing.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #105
rexallllsc
Banned

I started a Legacy w/ Dartmouth...bah!

First game v. Quinnipac, I was leading throughout most of the game, and ended up losing by 4. Ugh!

Second game v. Lehigh, I never really had a chance. They went up 12-2 early. I battled back to take a 23-21 lead, and then they went on a 16-3 run to end the first half, and a 9-0 run to open the second half. I lost by 23.

I like the control in this version much more than last years, and I can't wait to see how recruiting goes. Very fun so far.

Last edited by rexallllsc : 11-20-2004 at 12:49 PM.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #106
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Finally!! After 8 hard losses, we won at Jackson State. I'm playing on the 3rd of 5 difficulty levels and maybe I'm just bad, but the computer was a tough challenge even when I was playing two evenly matched teams. I think that is great. My last 3 losses were to teams that were relatively evenly matched. This game we were relatively even matched. I've noticed that my big men are terrible (probably the worst in the country) As a result, I've been getting killed inside every game. However, my 1, 2, and 3 are pretty good relatively speaking. So, I trapped a lot this game. I used a lot of fronting on the big men, and I won 82-74.

We relied on plenty of fastbreak points that we created off traps (we also gave up quite a few easy baskets.) Also, the 3 point shot was an important weapon for us as we have 2 guys who are very good at 3 pt shooting. Also, this method of trapping created a lot of loose balls and I saw quite a few loose ball fouls. It also created a lot of fouls, and I had 3 guys foul out. I can't remember the last time I had even 1 guy foul out in any other console basketball game. I also had another 2 guys with 4 fouls on the verge of fouling out. This game is just plain fun.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #107
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I've played 3 exhibition games and I'm 2-1. It's pretty fun and I'm still on the default difficulty level. I'm ready to start a "legacy," but I really don't want to do anything but play the games. Is there an option to have the assistants do everything else? I may recruit sometimes, but I don't really have much time these days

GO WRIGHT STATE RAIDERS!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #108
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

You can have the assistants "assist" in recruiting for you. You can even tell them what type of athlete your want. You can give them a 1st and 2nd priority from a variety of qualities including quickness, intangibles, shooting, defense, and a few others. As far as setting the training regimens, you can leave them to whatever you want once you set them (which only takes a minute or two to do.)

Oh yeah, I just got another win (2 game winning streak!) and it was my first league game. 79-76 over University of Texas-Arlington. I've discovered that my team plays better defense if I just stick to controlling my PG and let my big men guard their guys on their own. They are still bad, but they don't foul out quite as much
Old 11-20-2004, 04:41 PM   #109
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
I've played 3 exhibition games and I'm 2-1. It's pretty fun and I'm still on the default difficulty level. I'm ready to start a "legacy," but I really don't want to do anything but play the games. Is there an option to have the assistants do everything else? I may recruit sometimes, but I don't really have much time these days

The assistants will do all the recruiting for you, I think. I don't think the assistants offer scholarships, though. I'm fairly certain that you'll have to do that on your own.

If I'm wrong, anyone else is welcome to correct me.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:56 PM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to fire this thing up once I get the rosters from OS. Great impressions, thanks!!

Should be fun playing with Missouri.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #111
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

When will the rosters be up? From looking at their forums, it could be done in a week or so. We'll see!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:55 PM   #112
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
When will the rosters be up? From looking at their forums, it could be done in a week or so. We'll see!

They have a majority of the conferences done already, at the rate it's going, probably before the weekend is over.

Todd
Old 11-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just finished another game losing to Sam Houston State 72-68. Although it's a small sample size, I've noticed that most of my opponents tend to lack really highly rated big men. Furthermore, it seems when looking through the possible recruits there is a relatively lower frequency of big men that have very good skills than guards and small forwards. I'm not sure if my early impression is correct, but if it is I think that it's great that the game models the relative lack of quality big men in the game IRL.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #114
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Just got routed again, this time by Houston. My guys just can't defend the outside shot very well. I've tried a 3-2 zone, a 2-3 matchup zone, and even man-to-man, but man-to-man just causes me more foul trouble than anything. I'm not complaining, because UNO isn't a very strong team. I'm just having fun trying to win a game.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:08 PM   #115
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is there a coach mode..or you guys playing out the game with a gamepad?
Old 11-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There is a coach mode. You can decide to only coach any game. However, I'm actually controlling each game.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:01 AM   #117
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Just got routed again, this time by Houston. My guys just can't defend the outside shot very well. I've tried a 3-2 zone, a 2-3 matchup zone, and even man-to-man, but man-to-man just causes me more foul trouble than anything. I'm not complaining, because UNO isn't a very strong team. I'm just having fun trying to win a game.

Try the 1-3-1 matchup zone.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 02:56 AM   #118
rexallllsc
Banned

Finally! I went 0-5, Losing to Quinnipac (by 4), Lehigh (by 30+, they were the best team of those who I lost to...a 73 overall, I think), Maine (by 20+) UNH (by 12), and Hartford (by 3). I was losing hope. I was then scheduled to play Hofstra, who was overall a 74, and the best team I'd played yet, and beat them by 22 on my home floor!!! WOO WOO! I owe it all to the 1-1-3.

Here we go!
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:21 AM   #119
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Can't wait to fire this thing up once I get the rosters from OS. Great impressions, thanks!!

Todd

Sadly, the phone star player in inferior conference to enduce transfer isnt' a option in this years game
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 07:52 AM   #120
henry296
College Starter

Just got the game. I started playing against Princeton and they play really slow and deliberate just like real life. Next I played UNC and it was a much quicker pace as they pressed most of the game.

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 08:26 AM   #121
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Restarted my legacy with Navy last night - this time with enough memory space to actually SAVE the legacy.

Lost to UMBC again - this time by about 12, though we kept it pretty close. The next game we played at Maryland College (?) and beat them by 10. After that, we played our first home game against VMI and routed them, 77-50! We're now 2-1 and have already lost out on 2 recruits.

It's odd, but in games like this, I automatically think - "ok, I've defeated the AI, now what?" even though I'm only on the default level. I suppose I need a game against a premier conference to realize I still stink .
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:58 AM   #122
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Sadly, the phone star player in inferior conference to enduce transfer isnt' a option in this years game

I'm returning this game.

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 10:31 AM   #123
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I'm returning this game.

???
Old 11-21-2004, 11:42 AM   #124
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um, Pumpy.. I think you missed the [sarcasm] tags around his post.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #125
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Um, Pumpy.. I think you missed the [sarcasm] tags around his post.

Sorry...

[sarcasm]I'm returning this game.[/sarcasm]

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #126
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

dola,

The Xbox rosters should be done sometime today!!! YES!!!

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #127
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Yeah, I did miss the sarcasm. I THOUGHT it was sarcastic, but I figured that I'd put on the dunce cap to find out for sure.

Time for my next game. I'm hoping to take my Privateers to 1-4. I'll try the 1-3-1 matchup zone if I start getting beaten from the outside, but I have a feeling that whoever I'm playing against will then just take advantage of my strapping sophomore center.

Er.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:32 PM   #128
cougarfreak
College Starter

Also try the 2-3 matchup zone, with higher pressure on the three point shooters that are killing you. Box and 1 works well for me if the other team has one good shooter.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:33 PM   #129
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to fire it up tomorrow night, playing on default AA, 14 mins.

Is this game really that good out of the box? Most have been saying it is.

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #130
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I'm going to fire it up tomorrow night, playing on default AA, 14 mins.

Is this game really that good out of the box? Most have been saying it is.

It's excellent out of the box. I haven't changed a single slider yet, and it doesn't look like I'll need to.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:07 PM   #131
cougarfreak
College Starter

Game's great out of the box. In the coach mode, I play regular 20 minute halves, get great results with no slider changes.
Old 11-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #132
Ironhead
College Prospect

I really want to get this game but I feel as though I have been overhyped in the past on ESPN games. I really want a new basketball game though because I couldn't seem to get into ESPN 2k5 and I am ready to throw Live 2005 out the window after about 30 games.

What is it about the game that is so addictive?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:53 PM   #133
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's excellent out of the box. I haven't changed a single slider yet, and it doesn't look like I'll need to.
Quote:
Game's great out of the box. In the coach mode, I play regular 20 minute halves, get great results with no slider changes.

Excellent! I still can't believe I haven't fired the game up yet, but I like to just jump in and learn as I go. I'm also waiting on the roster set due out tomorrow sometime.

Quote:
What is it about the game that is so addictive?

It's only $20.

Actually, most of what I've read is the game plays like a college basketball game should. Teams play to their strenghts, no slider messing around, the recruiting is deep. I'll post some impressions tomorrow night for sure, but read what's been posted so far.

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 09:55 PM   #134
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I also have not touched a slider. I changed the difficulty from default up a notch to the 3rd of 5 levels. I also made it so I'm playing 20 minute halves. My scores do run high IF I get impatient in the shot clock or if I run a LOT, but that is ok for me. Overall, I'm getting great results.

As far as what is so addictive? I don't know... it's just a lot of little things. It seems more like real basketball than any other game I've ever played. The defenses are very well executed. It's hard to beat a tougher rated opponent. I'm a fan of college basketball (more so than the NBA.) Shrug.. I just really like this game (played 4 more games of my legacy today beating 2 teams that were relatively close to me in talent and lost 2 games to teams that had slightly better talent than me.) I also love the recruiting. Very nicely done so far.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #135
henry296
College Starter

I need defensive help. I am playing on the 2nd level and teams are all shooting over 50% against me... doesn't matter if it is Dartmouth or UVA. I am not switching that much on D, but they make just about everything they take even with a hand in their face.

Todd
Old 11-21-2004, 11:26 PM   #136
jbmagic
Pro Starter

for people that played coach mode....what do you control when you do coach mode on this game? do you get to choose some offense sets to run and call what defense you want your team to play? or do you call plays on the fly and watch the computer do the play?

i know on madden 2k5, you call the play on offense and defense and watch the computer do the play..

thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 11:32 PM   #137
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
for people that played coach mode....what do you control when you do coach mode on this game? do you get to choose some offense sets to run and call what defense you want your team to play? or do you call plays on the fly and watch the computer do the play?

I haven't played coach mode, but I'm not sure I understand the question anyway. Judging from the instruction manual, while the game is going on, you call plays on offense and defense, and you also control substitutions, tempo, etc. You don't control the players at all.

If you are controlling the players like I do, you still have access to all of the coaching options if you want them. Basically, coach mode is the same as regular mode, except you don't control the players.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:36 PM   #138
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Pumpy Tudors

thanks so much...

on madden coach is the same way you dont control the players just call the plays...

i am glad this game you can do the same in coach mode....

now i need to go pick up this game and FBCB...

damn games are addicting...just got FOF this week and TPB 2005 when it came out..
Old 11-21-2004, 11:55 PM   #139
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My Privateers have finally won a game! We beat Austin Peay in some type of tournament. My next opponent is to be determined. I held the Governors to 30% shooting (their star guard had a major off night, making only 3 of 20 shots). The final score was 66-55. My backup point guard got 10 points and 10 rebounds, as I had all 5 guys under the basket ready to rebound any of Austin Peay's many misses.

For the record, the 1-3-1 matchup zone was working quite a bit, but Austin Peay really only wanted their star player to shoot the ball. When they started moving the ball inside to create some separation, I switched to a 2-3 zone in order to try to stop them from moving the ball into the paint. Well, it worked. They started moving the ball around the perimeter, but I knew who they wanted to give the ball to. I just started double teaming the star, and they ended up burning a lot of the clock trying to get him open looks.

I love this game. Lovelovelove.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:30 AM   #140
korme
Go Reds

I got out for winter break before any of my friends. Could be a slow week.

When I wake up, I am going to buy this.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:03 AM   #141
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I gave this game a second chance after I saw to many #16's beating #1's and thank God I did... It is an amazing game - very realistic!! I'm playing with Kent State (alumni) and I'm 2-3. Both wins coming in OT - and two out of three losses coming from ranked teams which I got killed on Although I was playing FSU and was down by 16 at half and came out in the seond half with a 14-2 run but then their guards just kicked my arse...

Any how I'm wondering what the trick is for making shots under the basket. Seems like whenever I post up or get a O-Rebound in the paint I can never make a basket.

Another question - What are your time setting per half? I play out my games and most of the times run a offense and take the shot clock to at least 10 seconds - I play 18 min. per half. @ normal speed. Seems like 20 min the scores are a little high.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 11-22-2004 at 07:20 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:22 AM   #142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The rosters are done and well, I took a day off today. Hurt my back yesterday, but I can still function.

For the sound issues:
Quote:
I also noticed this when playing. I played two games with the default setup, then for my third turned down commentary, PA and music while increasing crowd volume to max and crowd chatter. It really does make a difference and almost eliminates the silence problem.

I'm getting ready to fire this one up....

Todd
Old 11-22-2004, 09:28 AM   #143
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
The rosters are done and well, I took a day off today. Hurt my back yesterday, but I can still function.

For the sound issues:

I'm getting ready to fire this one up....

Todd

Roster's for Xbox or PS2? Where you getting them?
Old 11-22-2004, 09:33 AM   #144
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

Quote:

Todd

Yes, yes it will. I wasn't planning on getting this game for a couple days but after reading all of this. I am leaving right now to get it. I might miss some classes today !
Old 11-22-2004, 09:41 AM   #145
henry296
College Starter

Can someone explain to me how to install the Rosters from Operation Sports? Do I need to be logged into XBox Live or just download them to a CD on my PC?

Todd
Old 11-22-2004, 09:48 AM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Todd,

As far as your defensive woes, what is the rating of your team for defense? I also have teams routinely shooting over 50% on me, but my team is rated horribly for defense with the team rating being a 65. When I played a game as USC which was rated in the 80's for defense, I held opponents to about 44% shooting.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #147
henry296
College Starter

I usually have been playing with Penn which probably doesn't have a high defensive rating. However, I am usually playing against other Ivy League teams who don't have great offensive ratings. For example Dartmouth shot over 50% against me and last year Dartmouth was in the 300's in terms of RPI.

The other couple of games have involved Maryland which should have a better defensive rating. I play those games against other ACC schools, and their better offensive offsets my defense.

I think I need to be more patient on offense because I am giving up too many fast quick transition baskets.

Another question, Maryland defaults to press after a made basket. How can I turn that off?

Todd
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #148
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Can someone explain to me how to install the Rosters from Operation Sports? Do I need to be logged into XBox Live or just download them to a CD on my PC?

Todd

Download them to your memory card via Action Replay on your PC (Action Replay makes your XBox memory card a USB card, suitable for copying information on the PC)

Go and load the rosters from the card in CH 2K5
Old 11-22-2004, 12:08 PM   #149
mtaystl03
High School Varsity

I just got it and love it.

I played a game with Missouri right out of the box and I beat Miami 78-66. A good game. I moved the difficulty up for the last five minutes and I think we ended up scoring about the same amount.

I am going to start a dynasty with Western Illinois. The Leathernecks aren't in great shape but hopefully I get them going.

Looks like it will be great fun.

-Mark
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #150
korme
Go Reds

So can you change/edit EVERY players name? I remember last year you could only change about a 1/3 before they said the database was full.. which sucked.. cause I did each conference slowly only to find that out... to have fake WSU Raiders or to change them all.. that is the question.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote