Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #101
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i'm ready live a life of everything not involving chivalry.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:57 PM   #102
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 487

Diplomat Meets With The Germans

The sun was high in the sky when Sextus Antio arrived at the Germanic town of Mogontiacum, which I believe is the ancient eqivalent of Bonn. He was immediately introduced to the local German leaders.

He negotiated trade rights with the Germans right away, but he was after bigger things--like map information. Sextus offered to exchange maps with the Germans. They turned down the offer, but said they would do it if his people entered into an alliance with them.

This was a serious matter to consider. He sent by bird of the German offer to Chiefius Rumnii. After soem consideration, I gave the go ahead, as Germannia has to be considered a potential enemy of the Gauls, and a strong ally in a fight against them.

So Sextus agreed, and we also entered into an alliance with the Germans and got their maps, which revealed much of north-central Europe to us.

Following the end of negotiations and an appropriate time of rest, Sextus Antio moved on west of Mogontiacum and crossed the great Rhine river and into eastern modern day France.

Other Agent Movements

Having been sent this mission from the Senate, Chiefius sent messenger to Icius to reconnoiter Mediolanium again for a potential assault. It was critical that we know if the fortifications and garrison have changed at all. So Icius's original mission of exploring the western pass has been changed again.

He moved back across the Po and into Cisalpine Gaul again. He arrived shortly at Mediolanium and found things to be roughly the same that they were when he surveyed the city two years previously. Gallic faction heir Jessewiak, the drunken prince, remains the governor of the city at the foot of the Alps, and his garrison hasn't changed. He still has two 81-man Barbarian infantry units and his 34-man Barbarian warlord bodyguard. The city is still protected by a wooden palisade, but nothing bigger.

In the Adriatic Sea, Admiral Oppius moved his fleet further up the Balkan coast, passing near the Illyrian-held settlment of Salona. The fleet should be back in Ariminum within a year.

Construction

With a port and two traders completed, the cities of Julii lands have returned to war-based construction. Segesta has begun work on a barracks, Arretium a practice range and Ariminum a stables.

Soon, all of my cities will be able to contribute strongly tot he war effort against the Gauls.

Julii Troop Movements

In preparation for the upcoming offensive, Chiefius has begun to shuffle his troops.

He combined some of the war-depleted hastati units in Segesta to fill out full units and sent the remaining unit to Arretium to be retrained. He called for the two fresh hastati units in the capital to move up to Segesta.

The main move, though, involved putting together a second army comprised of units from both Arretium and Ariminum. I ordered Sachmius to send his unit of equites and another hastati unit up to the Erutrian border with Cisalpine Gaul, near the esst end of the Ligurian coastal mountains. This position is the closest to the Venetian ford of the river Po without crossing into Gallic territory.

Then Chiefius sent word to Ariminum to have the newly arrived Daedalus take his 20-man bodyguuard of spear cavalry with two 80-man units of velites to the second army and take over.

There was a slight glitch, though. Bladeii wanted in on the fun. Instead of giving the orders to Daedalus, whom he apparently deemed not worthy of the command of that second army, he himself traveled with the velites to the second army. When word reached Chiefius, he sent a missive that in no uncertain terms ordered Bladeii back to Ariminum. His youngest son was on his way to doing so, with Daedalus going the other way, when the autmnal equinox approached.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 11:59 PM   #103
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
i'm ready live a life of everything not involving chivalry.

Don't worry. According to Medieval:Total War, chivalry isn;t invited until the late eleventh century (circa Year of Rome 1840). No chivalry in sight here.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, Year of Rome 487

Recruitment

Arretium completed the Julii faction's first unit of wardogs, a unit of 96 dogs and handlers. Having seen these vicious units at work, it is a pleasure to know we have one on our side.

Icius Finds Hoopsguyix

One other serious question we needed to know, given our intent to invade Cisalpine Gaul and maybe Venetia as well, was the location of Hoopsguyix. We got some good news and bad news.

The good news is that we found him, and he has moved further away from Julii lands, camped out ont he road between Mediolanium and Patavium.

The bad news is that it appears he has taken on Captain Tincommious's army, adding a 54-man Barbarian cavalry and two more 121-man Warband units to his force. This put his force at a much more formidable 572 men.

This is a matter of dire concern. He is well within reach of Mediolanium, and would certainly come to the rescue should the city and his brother come under attack. A combined force of his men and the some 200 men garrisoned at Mediolanium would make for a much more difficult fight.

It seems likely that we will have to deal with Hoopsguyix either before or at the same time that we put together our assault on Mediolanium.

CR

Old 10-06-2004, 01:19 AM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 488

Agent Movements

I ordered Icius to go in for a closer look at hoopsguyix's army, and he confirmed that the Gallic general had three 121-man Warband units, one 80-man skirmisher Warband unit, two 54-man Barbarian cavalry units, and his own 20-man Barbarian warlord bodyguard. He appeared content to camp along the road in between Mediolanium and Patavium, near the Venetian ford fot he River Po.

Further north, Sextus Antio moved further into modern day east-central France, ending the season just south of the Germanic town Trier.

On the Adriatic Sea, Admiral Oppius continued north, reaching the coast of Dalmatia, not far from Venetia, and across the sea from eventual destination Ariminum.

Army Movements

The first note to make is that Bladeii has returned to Ariminum and taken over the governorship of that city again, while Daedalus has taken over control of the second army on the road from Erutria to the Venetian ford of the river Po.

Because of the presence of Hoopsguyix and his army not far on the other side of that ford, Chiefius ordered two more 80-man hastati units and the newly completed wardog unit from Arretium to Daedlus's force. He also ordered Bladeii to send a contingent of his town watch to Arretium to watch over the capital in the stark absence of such a large portion of its garrison.

The major moves this season, though, were in Segesta itself, where the main assault force on Mediolanium was put together under the command of Kingfcius. Kingfcius marched out with 582 men, including his 20-man spear cavalry bodyguard. Four 80-man hastati units, one 82-man triarii unit, one 80-man Roman archer unit, and one 80-man velite unit made out the rest of the force.

Kingfcius marched the force up to the west end of the coastal mountains of Liguria, along the border with Cisalpine Gaul. Unlike Daedalus's force, Kingfcius can reach Mediolanium in the space of just three months.

We are on the brink of war.

CR

Old 10-06-2004, 01:59 AM   #106
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spring, Year of Rome 488

Construction & Recruitment

Segesta completed a Barracks, so it may finally join Arretium and Ariminum in the support of the family's armies.

Arretium completed another unit of equites as well.

Hoopsguyix Disappears

Icius has lost sight of Hoopsguyix's army. It is unknown where they are at this time, which is certainly a concern at this key point. It might be, though, that the key factor is Icius himself moving out of range rather than hoopsguyix moving away from the Mediolanium-Patavium road.

Chiefius Gains New Traits

The vaunted leader of the Family Julius continues to learn new skills and acquire new talents.

In his cynical older age, he has become even less sparing in his lifestyle, increasing from Stern to the more severe Spartan. The latter lends another positive step to Management, putting Chiefius Rumnii at +2 MAN. It also moves his bribe cost up to 200% above normal.

Not that he is truly bribable anyway.

Chiefius's expert handling of Icius has also increased his skill in the area of Espionage. It's clear he recognizes the value of covert information-gatherers, and he now receives a 10% discount in agent recruitment costs.

CR

Old 10-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #107
Izulde
Head Coach

From the Journal of Izuldius

There is a new consul recently elected to Rome. Grandfather is of the opinion that he is a horrible leader and that he quite possibly bribed the other members of the Senate into voting for him. It would not surprise me... the Roman forum after all did not recognize our family's greatness during this election term.

The Gauls are continuing to be targeted by our great armies. Hopefully when I am of age, I, too, shall become a general and have great success on the battlefield, being elected to a Senate office thereafter. I should only like to be a governor if the region appeals to me... but then, I am still not considered of age, and even when I become an adult, the leader of the family will have the final say.

Father grows more and more despondent with the successes of the other branches of the family. I can not blame him... yet I also feel the burden now... that it will be up to me to bring glory to my father's line... or we shall continue to be lesser Julii, and that is a sad fate.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:38 AM   #108
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Summer, Year of Rome 488

The Family Julius--Broker of Peace?

Strange as it may seem, the Family Julius may have been the unwitting artist of peace in the far north, even as we prepare for a likely tough war with the Gauls to the south.

Sextus Antio, travelling near the Germanic city of Trier, heard tell of a similarly journeying diplomat from the archaic land of Britannia. He tracked the man down and went into negotiations for trade rights and map information, much as he had done just the year before with Germania.

The negotiations went much as they had gone with Germania, and in the end, we had a deal for trade rights, another trade of maps and another alliance, which once again might provide us aid against the Gauls.

The concern, of course, was that an alliance with the Britons might lead the Germans to break their alliance with us, as they are at war with Britannia.

Apparently once news got around, Germania had to weigh the value of the war against Britannia against an alliance with us. In the end, they chose their alliance with the Julii.

The two peoples met with each other and agreed to a ceasefire of hostilities, thereby both preserving their alliances with us.

Other Agent Movements

I moved Icius back to Mediolanium to seek Hoopsguyix and see if perhaps he had moved to Cisalpine Gaul's central settlement, but that was not the case.

Admiral Oppius finally returned to Julii Rome when he entered the port of Ariminum--which didn't exist when he left for Greece four years ago. His journey finished here after a short jump up to Patavium to confirm Gaul's naval power (or lack thereof) this far east.

He did make one discovery--the smaller Gallic army under Captain Sennianus is in Dalmatia, likely pushing to take over that region for Gaul. They are too far to be of concern right now, but it is interesting to note that had the Senate mission tot ake Mediolanium not come to us, Daedalus might have incited war with the Gauls over Dalmatia.

It seems that war with Gaul was as likely as it seemed from the very beginning, no matter what path we took.

It Begins

The swords are sharpened, the armor is shined, the horses are saddled. There is blood in the air, and the sun glints red under the Family Julii banner. War is about to begin.

Just before readying his force to leave their position along the border of Erutria and Cisalpine Gaul, Daedalus accepted another unit from Arretium at the behest of Chiefius, taking on a second unit of equites. That puts his total force at 553 men.

To the west, Kingfcius is giving his troops one last night of preparation and prayer to the gods before they embark on a similar sojourn into Cisalpine Gaul.

One fortnight past the summer solstice, Kingfcius led 562 men into Cisapline Gaul. By a moon past that day, they were crossing the River Po.

To the east, Daedalus marched his force in as well, quickly reaching their own ford of the Po. They crossed unhindered, but their passage did not go unnoticed.

Chiefius was soon besieged with notices of transgression from Gaul. They told him in no uncertain terms that Daedalus's entry into their lands was seen as an act of war and to order him to return to the Erutrian border. The Julii faction leader, of course, ignored these missives.

Daedalus was several leagues beyond the Po and preparing to turn west to Mediolanium when his outriders brought news: a force has been sighted coming hard from the east along the Alps. It is Hoopsguyix and his army!

Battle seems inevitable. Daedalus immediately orders his men to prepare for the enemy's arrival. It is their job to keep Hoopsguyix away from Mediolanium long enough to allow Kingfcius to take the central settlement of the Gallic province.

By this time, Kingfcius has crossed the Po himself, and a fortnight prior to the autmunal equinox, he has reached Mediolanium. He immediately lays seige to the walled city of 2500, and prepares to build battering rams for a likely assault in the dead of winter.

Our intent is clear enough to the Gauls, it seems. They declare war on us.

CR

Old 10-06-2004, 02:39 AM   #109
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kingfcius Spring Journal Entry:

The march to Mediolanium has begun. We are traveling along the coastline and the weather has treated us fairly. I'm thankful to write that the men are in good spirits and are anxious for battle. After what happened with the Julii family being snubbed by the Senate, the men want to show what kind of leader Chiefus really is.

I also just received word from home that our admiral has failed us in his bid to block the port of Sparta. Damn infidel. I hope that father has him hanged for failing because that is what I will do when I lead the Julii name in the future. I expect perfection and my men know it.

Nightfall is upon us and I need to get my rest before sounding the assault on the Gauls...
Old 10-06-2004, 06:53 AM   #110
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Battle of Chiarii, Year of Rome 488

The Night Before

The maddening cries of the not too distant Gallic barbarians rang through the chill night, keeping Captain Marcellus awake.

The well-trained equite, a former spear cavalryman, could normally sleep through the most raucous cacophany, as he had proven at numerous Spring Feasts in the past that had gone well past their wanting by most.

But there was something chilling about the cries of your enemy, yelling to his heathen nature gods of the impending death he would offer up to them. To the Gauls, the night before a battle is a night of celebration.

The Romans, by comparison, are reserved and dsiciplined. We sleep tonight to save our energy for tomorrow, Marcellus thought.

He looked over at his men, all aslumber, but for the night guards. Is this a foolish venture? He can curse the Gauls for their ways all he wants, but this is their territory. And we are led here by no more than a boy.

General Daedalus Julius is a tall and thin young man, all of just 17. He has a nervous way about him, as if he had spent his short lifetime already under tremendous strain. Sometimes there is a hesitation there in his features, in his eyes, when he is discussing his plans with his captains. Is he seeking our approval?

His demeanor may seem unsteady, but his mind seems well-crafted. He has been well-schooled in the ways of war by his father and grandfather, and the horseman in Marcellus must admit Daedalus handles his horse well and with skill. He takes quite a bit after his father in appearance--General Kingfcius was a man Marcellus had occasion to view when he was a member of Governor Sachmius's bodyguard.

Sachmius..., groused the captain. He did not have fond memories of that man, a seemingly scheming individual whom had proven impossible to please, and ever mobile, making ti all the more difficult to guarantee the security of his person. It was a primary reason he volunteered for the equite squadron when the call went around in Arretium last year.

His past experience as a cavalryman with Lord Chiefius surprsingly landed him at the head of this unit. He had not sought the role, but has welcomed it, once given. If only he could spare all his men the doom of death, but that was unlikely here. Most of them were fresh-faced kids, many of them not older than Daedalus himself. At least if they die, they will do so for the full glory of Rome.

Marcellus would not drift to sleep quickly this night.

Dawn

Apollo's fiery chariot was as yet a short time away from rising above the eastern end of the world, but the Roman army was already abustle with activity and preparation.

Scouts have already returned to note that the Gauls are amidst their own preparations and will likely soon be on the march. There is no surprise--the two forces have known of each other for days now.

Marcellus chewed on salted hank of cold hare and washed it down with brisk brook water. The woodlands here, in the shade of the Alps, are rich in wildlife and will provide good food for an army on the move, at leats for a short while.

Staying here, near the small Gallic village of Chiarii, is not something that can be done for long, though==not with two armies a mere league apart.

"Captain, the general calls for you," a member of Lord Daedalus's bodyguard said from beyond his small fire. He nodded his assent and gathered his acroutements.

Most of the captains had arrived before him, and Daedalus was preparing to go into his battle plan. It had already been discussed to an extent in the evenings prior, but it never hurts to be sure once more.

"These woods are our friends here," Daedalus said. "You all know the lay of this land. Hoopsguyix is approaching us from the plains--he will be in the open. We must use these trees to our advantage, for the scouts say we are outnumbered and this Gallic general is a tested leader of warriors."

The young general diagrammed a position on the dirt with a stick.

"Here is the clearing we will be in, surrounded on two sides by trees. Judging from the direction they are coming from, the Gauls will approach from the east to southeast, right up to the opening of the clearing. We will draw them in by forming our lines here at the back of the clearing," the young man said. Did his voice just crack? Marcellus wondered.

"Once they are drawn in, we hit them with the ambush from within the trees, taking out the cavalry and skirmishers first," he finished.

"I believe it's a sound plan, lord general," said the head of one of the hastati units. He had volunteered his men to be a part of the bait, one of the two hastati units that would form the frontline. There was grudging assent from most of the other captains at the tactical quality of the plan, although no one said what they were thinking. Will he fall for it? Marcellus asked himself.

He and the other units of equites would be a part of the units in the woods, along with the wardogs, the third hastati unit and a unit of velites. Daedalus and his guard will be out in the open, as the young Julii lord reasoned he must be visible for Hoopsguyix to fall for it. The Gallic general must believe the entire force of Romans is in that clearing, and the absence of Daedalus's own banner would be very suspicious.

"Gather your men," Daedalus ordered. "We must prepare, for they will be here soon."

The captains disappeared to the ends of the camp, but Marcellus lingered long enough to watch his general for a second. He knew he would see it again, and he did. The young man's were shaking. He hastily rubbed them together and warmed them at the fire to ward off any glances. When he looked in Marcellus's direction, the captain had already turned away and proceeded to where his own men were preparing for battle.

The Cusp of Battle

"They come, good captain," said a scout from Daedalus. Marcellus dismissed him with a nod. He raised his gauntleted fist, and the steady hubbub of his men, talking away their nervousness died with it. The time had nearly come.

Although deep amongst the trees, Marcellus had selected a spot that had a good view of both the end of the clearing and the open plain beyond it. He could not yet see an enemy there, but he knew he was coming, and with nearly 600 compatriots as well.

Lord Daedalus rode in front of the hastati lines and clearly began to speak to the men. His words were faint with distance, but he heard clearly what the young general said before the final cheers of the men drowned out his voice: For the gods, for yourselves, for the People. For Rome, for Lord Chiefius, and for the Name of the Julii! Our enemies shall dine with Pluto tonight!

Silence blanketed the air. Even the birds were silent, perhaps frightened by the presence of so many men, or perhaps by the presence of Mars. In the distance, horns began to sound, and soon after that, an incessant hooting and hollering as well--the Gauls were practicing their warcries, it seems. What started as a dark dot, steadily grew into a line on the horizon, and soon began to filter out into individual specks. The sounds of war approached.

This did not seem to faze the baitors, Marcellus saw. They were well-trained. The hastati glittered goldenly in the sun, although their armor was a mix of iron and bronze. The red Julii banner hung limp on a dead day, but it's color stood out sharply against the dark green of the surrounding trees.

The enemy was now close enough to make out their dress and manner. They were a dark, fierce people. He had expected more lighter-complexioned peoples, but these seemed much more of a mix. Probably from life lived on the Mediterranean. They had long dark beards and streaming hair, unfettered by helmet or identifying symbol. Their faces were painted in red, deep red. It wasn't paint. The footmen were not dressed in a uniform, but in what appeared to be tan-toughened jerkins lined with the fur of some unidentifiable animal of the north. All had some form of armor, but few had as much protection as a warrior of Rome, and no one set of armor was alike with another. The horsemen behind them had more of a gentile look to them. Bearded, but trimmed, with their hair tied back by colored sash that might have been identifying markers of rank.

The bulk of the army carried heavy longswords, with a cruel curve of gouges at the end. They were longer than the standard Roman glavius, but likely unwieldy in close combat by comparison.

Their formation was much as predicted. A long double-line of fierce-looking infantrymen led the way, with a large group of cavalry at the back and flanking the line. The skirmishers walked with bow in hand, ready to fire off a round when called for. Behind the skirmishers was what had to be the command group, led by, no doubt, Hoopsguyix himself.

Hoopsguyix very much took after his people. He was a large man on a large horse. Although he similarly had one of the Gallic swords, he carried with him a large spear--a lance, really--and seemed to not be burdened by having to carry it. His dark features are shrouded in black curls, his mass of facial hair nearly swallowing up his eyes. He bore the mark of the Bear's Head on his shield, the symbol of Gaul. He rode confidently, a tested battlefield veteran. He doubtless knew his opponent was an unblooded youth. Was that confidence a trait that would see us through to victory today? Or is it simply profound recognition that he had the upperhand? Marcellus hoped for the former.

The Battle

The enemy had reached the end of the clearing, and their infantry began to walk closer in rank, which they had not been doing before. Marcellus wasn't surprised--they had some training, and assuredly much experience at warfare as well, but the Gauls were much more well-known for the quality of their hand-to-hand combat and the impressive individual ferocity and rage than they were for their discipline or ability to work together in war.

There was a soft neigh behind him, earning the man atop it a stern look from Marcellus. He held his hand again for silence and watched as the enemy infantry began to pass by his view. Had they heard? He was some of the cavalrymen in the nearby flank--the target of his own equites actually, looking over into the trees suspiciously. Marcellus froze in his saddle and could literally feel the tension of the men behind him. Indeed, the entire forest's worth of men was likely feeling that same apprehension.

Daedalus was nothing if not bright, though. He knew the gig might be about to end--and their infantry had just reached javelin range. The attention of the enemy shot forward as a shout from the Roman lines was quickly accompanied by a sky filled with hurled spears. They approached silently, like a whisper, but Marcellus knew they were deadly when they found their mark.

They struck with force, passing through men as easy as knife through a grape. Marcellus watched one Gallic warrior catch one in the throat not far from the edge of the forest. He didn't make a sound, merely collapsing dead in an instant. Pluto take him, Marcellus prayed.

The javelin throw did little to stop the infantry of the warriors, and they began to step up their approach to the line of hastati, who were readying one quick volley of arrows before turning to their glavius. The warcries abounded, and Marcellus could see some of the greener troops in the hastati line faltering abit. Hold it together just a little longer, Marcellus projected at them in silence.

He raised a hand again, this time open palm up. Arm yourselves. The slide of glavius and bow from their scabbards came almost as one, the hubbub of the brewing conflict hiding the sound.

The Gallic warriors were in full charge now, and their flanking units came in right after them. Very foolish, thought Marcellus. Hoopsguyix was falling for it. The hastati got off their round of arrows, and the velites let off another javelin round, but the charge was unimpeded. Marcellus could distantly feel pain in his legs, as he clutched the sides of his steed so hard, he feared his thighs and calves would cramp up. He eased up.

They were ready for it when it came. The Julii bannerman started frantically waving the Julii pennant even as the hastati line braced for the impact of the Gallic warband warriors, some 300-men strong against half that number.

"For Rome!" Marcellus roared, and his steed strode forward nearly unbidden. He tore out of the woods with amazing speed, his riders right behind him. Like a torrent, men streamed out of the woods, flooding the west side of the clearing. A hundred equites, some two hundred infantry, including the well-armored and long-speared triarii, and another round of velites. Marcellus could see the surprise on the enemy's faces as they turned to this new threat.

His equites charged down on the nearest barbarian cavalry, which were desperately trying to turn their horses around from their charge. They were only partially successful. the ones nearest the forets edge were doomed. Marcellus stabbed one in the throat as his horse stumbled from panic, and clanged his glavius off the armor of another in passing, nearly knocking him from his horse. That one was felled by a man right behind him, taking advantage of the enemy's awkward blance. We were deep into the ranks of the enemy cavalry before they knew it, and they began to cave in and turn and run.

A brief pause before pursuit allowed Marcellus to take a quick grasp of the situation. The hastati lines were hit hard--it was too late to save them from the charge, and many good Romans liekly fell then. But the lines held, long enough for the triarii and hastati to crash into the left most warriors with devastating effect. Marcellus could see Daedalus and his men charging into the far lines to help support the least protected flank of the Roman lines.

It was shocking how fast death was dealt. Death for nearly entire units seemed to pass in but seconds as Julii units swept across many of their men unawares. The whole left side of the Gaul army was collapsing and running, what was left of them. The other equites unit had the skirmishers on the run, and the wardogs were viciously infiltrating the command group. For a brief moment, Marcellus caught a glimpse of Hoopsguyix amidts the fray, a writhing hound hanging high from the end of his lance as he tried to keep his horse under control. He and his barbarian warlords disappeared into a melee of hastati on the far side of the field.

"Cut them down!" Marcellus ordered his men, charging after their cavalry targets. They tore across the clearing and out near the back end and onto the plain.

The whole of the Gaul army seemed to be in flight now. It's like they hit a wall, and then were wiped off that wall by the sweeping ambush. The equites' first targets long scattered, they now pursued the skirmishers and cut down fleeing infantrymen. Daedalus and his guard emerged behind them, chasing some of the other cavalrymen that were left.

Marcellus will never forget what happened next. There was an outcry behind them, and it proved to be a gallant group of Gallic warband warriors trying to make a last stand in front of our chasing hastati. Daedalus rallied his guard and turned them back toward the enemy. Marcellus got but a moment's notice for what was about to happen.

"No!" he screamed hoarsely, stopping his unit short. What Daedalus had not seen was the approach of Hoopsguyix and his Barbarian warlord guard, charging at them through a concealing copse of trees. The turning maneuver opened up the general's flank, and before Marcellus could even kick his steed into motion, Hoopsguyix and his guard tore through Daedalus's ranks. It was brutal. Men were literally plowed over. Marcellus had a perfect view of Hoopsguyix, who hurled his spear at Daedalus and found his mark. Daedalus was held transfixed for a moment atop his steed before falling.

Five lone remaining members Daedalus's guard somehow escaped the deadly charge and ran like cowards.

Anguish and despair filled Marcellus's heart--and then rage.

"Ride, equites," he screamed, glavius extended. "Death to them all!"

They rode hard, in a brilliant charge at the enemy general. Hoopsguyix and his men were more prepared for the charge than Daedalus had been, but the equite unit outnumbered them by twice their number. A chasing unit of hastati came up to entrap them, and many of them were already falling to the equite glavius, but Hoopsguyix fought his way through some hastati and bolted with the remnants of his men for safety.

Hoopsguyix was beaten, and his army was driven from the field of battle--but Rome had suffered a great loss.

Marcellus dismounted hurriedly at the prostrate form of his commander. The shaft of Hoopsguyix's spear had snapped in half, but it was clearly a mortal wound. Daedalus was moaning in pain, and his tunic was no longer just red from his house colors.

"My general," was all Marcellus could think to so. What else was there? He had been enough battles to know what was going to happen.

Daedalus's eyes swam with pain as he searched for Marcellus's face. He reached out and gripped his captain's shoulder, with surprising strength.

"My father," he gasped. "Tell him..."

And with a groan, Daedalus Julius passed from this earth and into the land of the gods, his hand falling to his side. Marcellus quietly lifted his shield and covered his face.

"May the gods bless you, lord general," Marcellus whispered.

One of his men ran up behind him.

"Captain, the enemy is retreating. Shall we pursue?"

"No," Marcellus said after a moment. "We have more urgent matters to attend to, and I won't stay here chasing the Gauls around in a land they know far better than we. We must attend to his lordship, and deliver his person to his father at Mediolanium."

"Yes, lord captain," the soldier responded. He paused as if unsure of how to continue. "He died well. He died a true Roman."

Marcellus nodded without turning back to him. All around them, the Roman army gave cries of victory, banging their glavius and spears to shield.

Although Daedalus fell, the Romans won a powerful victory this day, crippling Gallic power in northern Italy at least for a time. Of the 572 Gallic warriors to enter the Battle of Chiarii, only 57 lived to tell of it. At this time, it is unclear if Hoopguyix actually escaped, as he might have been chased down in the battle's aftermath. At this point, it is a mystery, but until we see otherwise, it must be assumed that in such a devastating loss, the commander of Gaul's army must have fallen as well. While taking down 500 of the enemy, the Roman army lost less than 200 of its 553 men. Sadly, Daedalus was one of the fallen. Captain Marcellus took over the army in his stead.

CR

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-06-2004 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #111
gi
College Prospect

Add me to the list!
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #112
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Great narrative CR...

Waiting patiently for the next chapter... Throw me in there somewhere when you have time... wherever you deem appropriate...

Cheers!

Chasii Cincinnatus

Last edited by Chas in Cinti : 10-06-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Chas in Cinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #113
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Poor Daedalus, but at least I won't have to have him killed. That will save me some coin.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:35 AM   #114
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Doing a great job CR! I have a question about the amount of men in a unit. I just bought the game and when I create a unit of anything they only come in about a 40 man unit. How do I make the units contain more men?
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #115
AStott
Mascot

You can change the unit size in the graphics settings. The change only applies next time you start a new campaign (or historical battle).
AStott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:12 PM   #116
mrkilla22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStott
You can change the unit size in the graphics settings. The change only applies next time you start a new campaign (or historical battle).

Ok, thanks!
mrkilla22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #117
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just bought the game and when I create a unit of anything they only come in about a 40 man unit. How do I make the units contain more men?

Be careful with the unit sizes, I've heard making them too large can cause problems with the AI.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 01:20 PM   #118
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Awesome job with that battle! That must have taken a long time.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #119
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
Add me to the list!

me too, but I'll read regardless.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #120
daedalus
Pro Rookie

For Rome and the Julii!

Awesome writing.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 05:47 PM   #121
hoopsguy
General Manager

Terrific read, CR. I don't see lasting through the week without picking up this game.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:43 PM   #122
kingfc22
Head Coach

Nice writeup CR. I hope that I don't meet the same fate as my son.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:11 PM   #123
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Wow. CR- Im glad I spent the time to read the whole thing in go. Wonderful.

As for me - Id happy to be someone of significance if you havent already assigned- be it Greco scum, or Roman filth- I wish to be go down in history- whether good or bad is irrelvant...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:22 PM   #124
Izulde
Head Coach

From the Journal of Izuldius

A great loss has struck our family this day, as Daedalus has fallen in battle. The whole House of the Julii is in mourning, though we find pride in his death in battle, helping to vanquish the foul Gauls.

May his soul know the glory of the Elysian Fields in Pluto's domain.

May the Gauls know death and eternal torment by our hand for this despicable act.
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #125
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

If CR can stick with this, I'm beginning to think this could rival GB's X-Com dynasty in storytelling and audience participation. Dunno if it could match the epicness, though, as X-Com streched over, what, ten separate threads of 10-20 pages per and lasting a few years?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:04 PM   #126
tucker342
Pro Starter

Great writeup CR!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 11:30 PM   #127
kingfc22
Head Coach

Kingfcius awakens from his sleep in a cold sweat. As if he has just lived through the battle of Mediolanium, even though he knows it has yet to happen. He calls out to one of his guards to see if they have word of his son's first sure triumph in battle. One of the nearby Roman captains enters the General's tent with a message from Marcellus himself.

"Why is this message of victory sent from a Captain?, I said. Why has my son not written to his father after what assuredly was a great victory"

"My Lord. It is true that the Julii did score a decisive victory over the Gauls, but tis a black day because your son fell in battle to the hands of the Gauls' General Hoopsguysix, the captain responded"

At that moment Kingfcius buried his face in his hands and a horrid scream filled the Italian air.

"My son shall be avenged!!!"
Old 10-07-2004, 02:20 AM   #128
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Kick some booties for me, Pop!
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #129
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Kick some booties for me, Pop!

I see dead people.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #130
moriarty
College Starter

Add me in at the end of the queue ... please.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #131
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Matt, your post #110 was truly a classic. The best you have ever done, and that is saying a lot!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:10 AM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...don't know where to begin, so I guess I'll go to the top.

gi: added

Chas in Cinti: Thanks, and I added ya.

sachmo: Yer a bastard (but you're playing it well).

mrkilla: it looks like your question has been answered. Thanks you AStott and Peregrine.

Godzilla Blitz: Thanks. And yes it did take a while. Fortunately, I'm a geek with no life who likes to do stuff like this.

Qwikshot: added

daedalus: Thanks, and sorry I couldn't keep you alive. I stuck your name back in the queue.

hoopsguy: muhahaha...my royalty check from Activision is in the mail!

kingfc22: Thanks. I hope not, too--I don't have a lot of generals right now.

Aadik: Glad you were able to labor through it. I hear I have a reputation for going overlong with my posts. I have added you to the list.

Wolfpack: Well, let's not go nuts here. This is still in its infancy (and let's face it--dynasties have a very high infant mortality rate). Still, that's a tremendous compliment. I don't know that I could dare believe one of my dynasties could compare to GB's masterpiece. I will be happy if I just put together an interesting dynasty for people to read (wherever it ranks in the scheme of things).

tucker342: Thanks

John Galt: I hope they were Gauls.

moriarty: added

Buccaneer: Thanks for the high compliment (and the compliment of my past posting as well ).

CR

Old 10-08-2004, 01:19 AM   #133
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rome will be burnt to the ground!

...oh wait. Wrong persona. Sorry! Coffeius Warlordium serves Rome!

Just adding my kudos to that awesome writeup there, CR. There's no way I can top that one.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:35 AM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Autumn, Year of Rome 488

Captain Marcellus's Army Moves On To Medioclanium

When Kingfcius assaults the city of Mediolanium this winter, he will have the aid of his dead son's army. Captain Marcellus and his 432 men should arrive at the besieged capital of Cisalpine Gaul within time to particpate in the hopeful taking of the city.

All Of Rome Declares War On Gaul

There was little delay on behalf of our fellow Roman factions in joining us in war against the Gauls.

The Senate and the families Scipii and Brutii all declared war on the Gauls immediately upon hearing news of the Battle of Chiarii. I doubt this actually means they will be offering any aid of any sort (unless the Senate offers the families a mission to do so, as was done with us and the Greeks).

Construction

Arretium completed a Practice Range, allowing them to finally contribute to our missile troops.

Ariminum finished a Stables, so they can add cavalry.

Considering that we are short in both cavalry and missile troop,s htis is wonderful news.

CR

Old 10-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Rome will be burnt to the ground!

...oh wait. Wrong persona. Sorry! Coffeius Warlordium serves Rome!

Just adding my kudos to that awesome writeup there, CR. There's no way I can top that one.

Please try, though. I would love to read it.

(and thanks)

CR

Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 AM   #136
DeToxRox
Head Coach

i'll burn all of yours faces. i need practice.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:39 AM   #137
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Please try, though. I would love to read it.

Oh I'll do more than try, you Roman wretch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:50 AM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Assault On Mediolanium, Year Of Rome 489

Prelude

Kingfcius was angry. He was outside of a city under the rule of the heir of the faction whose army killed his only son. And he commanded an army of 502 men, more than twice the garrison of Mediolanium.

None of this bodes well for those Gauls inside the walls of Mediolanium.

Kingfcius completed his battering ram in the dead of winter, and as a supporting force led by Captain Marcellus showed up, prepared to assault the central settlement of Cisalpine Gaul.

Snow covered the ground, and the city was couched deep in an arch of high Alpine mountains. It was a bitterly cold place already, even without death coming.

The city was protected by by a wooden palisade, but this barely offers any real protection. The main fence to the south (the side toward which Kingfcius would approach) had no towers near it, and what towers there were on that wall were small anyway.

Inside, Mediolanium was a series of encircled settlements inside the wall, with a rising hill in the center. On top of the hill was the settlement's main buildings, including the key center courtyard.

The Battle

Kingfcius approached the city with 82 triarii toting the ram. They were flanked by two 80-man units of hastati, and followed up by a third such group. Flanking that group were the army's two units of missile troops, an 80-man Roman archers and an 80-man velites unit. Finally, the general himself brought up the rear, protected by his 20-man spear cavalry bodyguard.

To the east, just as battle at the gate was to be met, Captain Marcellus and his recently blooded army were also arriving. The only full units is the army which survived the Battle of Chiarii were the two 80-man velite units. The two equites units stood at 23 and 50, while the three hastati units numbered 57, 19 and 32. The wardog unit was nearly full strength, at 91, but that includes a handler for every three dogs. So the strength in men was 23 (with 68 dogs).

Marcellus's troops had no seige engine, so they would have to run to the gate Kingfcius was attacking to participate in this one. That means Kingfcius would handle the brunt of the early fighting. Honestly, though, Kingfcius was likely to take this city all by himself, short of a Herculean effort by Gallic drunken prince Jessewiak and his garrison.

Jessewiak took his 34 Barbarian warlod bodyguards to the gate Kingfcius was approaching, and also stationed one of his 81-man Swordsman units near there. The third Swordsman unit was placed at the center court, although this came in as an assumption (they were the only unit we couldn't see from the start).

Kingfcius charged the triarii and their battering ram right at the gate, while moving Roman missile troops close enough to rain arrows down on Jessewiak's bodyguard. Few arrows and javelins found their mark, but a man or two fell enough so that Jessewiak took his men further back from the gate while the triarii banged away at the gate.

Finally, the gate fell, and the way into Mediolanium was open.

Kingfcius sent the triarii in first, antincipating a charge from Jessewiak's Barbarian warlords, which, as cavalry, would have less success against a spearmen unit than regular infantry. Kingfcius tried to split his missile troops into concentrating their fire on both the cavalry and the swordsmen. The two closest hastati units also streamed into the breach, and the general split them up among the two enemy units as well.

By now, Captain Marcellus's units were well within range of participating. The faster equites units came in first, and Kingfcius sent them both through the gate to attack the cavalry. Jessewiak and his bodyguards were bogged down near the inside of the gate, while the Swordsman were off to the side and trying to stave off an attack from a hastati unit.

Jessewiak's warlords fought fiercely, and did some serious damage to the equites and triarii, but they were up against too much, and starting to get encircled. A drunk or no, Jessewiak fought well to the bitter end, and was the last Gallic warrior standing in this battle within the battle. He finally fell under a barrage of blows.

There was still some battle to be fought, but that was a key moment. Not only had the garrison been deprived of its governor and general, we just made another Gallic general the new faction heir of Gaul. If he turns out to still be alive, indeed, it may be Hoopsguyix (although I am fairly certain he is dead).

Kingfcius sent the forces inside the wall at the first unit of Swordsman, already dwindling in number, and it was not long before every last fighting man outside of the city's courtyard was slain.

That third unit, though, seemed content to make a last stand under the central banner of their city. The Roman general charged the entire grouped armies up the hill, although we did not send them all at once (nor was it working out that way anyway--several units of Captain Marcellius's units were just now entering the gates of Mediolanium).

Kingfcius set up a barrage of missiles from the Roman archers and a depleted unit of velites, and then he sent in two units of hastati (giving the Romans a two-to-one advantage). These Swordsmen turned out to be tough, though. Kingfcius selected one of his equites units and sent them in as well. Roman blood flowed freely here, I must say, and perhaps they could have fought it better from a tactics standpoint.

One of the hastati units took terrible damage, and the equites unit, surprisingly was nearly eliminated (I can get no confirmation, but I believe Captain Marcellus fell here as well).

But the Romans were too much. The Gauls were reduced to just one Swordsman when the battle was officially won by Julii. The city of Mediolanium fell to the family Julius.

Aftermath

Normally, when I take a city, I will enslave the population, as that helps the other cities, but still allows that city to continue to produce and grow.

But I went in knowing that couldn't be the case here. This army is under control of Kingfcius, whose son Daedalus just fell to the Gauls in battle. There was only one option. Kingfcius chillingly told his men to kill every Gaul they could find. The Julii put 2200 Gauls to death this day--men, woman, children, old and infirm, young and healthy all. Only 698 of the original population were eventually given mercy, as the snow ran red in Mediolanium.

Not counting the slaughter following the battle, all but one Gaul of the 197-man fighting force fell in this one, including the prince heir of the Gauls, Jessewiak. Of the 864 Romans involved in the battle, 198 fell, so the Gauls fought hard and well, considering their long odds in this one.

Only one equite of Captain Marcellus's unit survived unscathed, and only four of his comerades pulled through their injuries. They will join the other equite unit, which was largely untouched. The hastati that first charged the last Swordsman unit was also the main one handling the first unit near the gate, and their losses were devastating. Only 10 made it out without serious injury, although their numbers would eventually be buoyed by the healing of 14 wounded soldiers. They were the most prolific killing unit as well, taking 66 Gauls with them. Captain Marcellus's equites killed 45.

The triarii bore the brunt of Jessewiak's cavalry charge and basically held the general in place until help came through, so they lost 37 of their 82 men, while killing just 12 (but all of them Barbarian warlords in charge of Jessewiak's health).

The deadliest unit which didn't suffer major injuries was, not surprisingly, the Roman archers. Not one archer fell as they rained death down upon the enemy from afar. They killed 36 Gauls.

The Roman army has moved into Mediolanium for now, and Kingfcius has become the governor of the city.

CR

Old 10-08-2004, 03:11 AM   #139
kingfc22
Head Coach

Finally, Kingfcius has a chance to wipe the blood from his sword. The bloodlust he had for the death of Dadelus had past. He now sat inside the city staring at the skies crying out to the gods. Wondering why his son was slain at such an early age.

Later that night, the General sent news to his father about what happened this day in
Mediolanium. He hopes that the example he made of the Gauls will weigh heavily in his favor towards becoming the heir to the throne and also a tactic in battle that will make enemies fear the sound of Kingfcius' army in the distance.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:56 AM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Winter, Year of Rome 489

Senate Pleased With Sacking of Mediolanium

They gave us an order and we did it. The Senate was very pleased to here we had takern Mediolanium, and the province of Cisalpine Gaul along with it. Where will their gratitude be when one of the world's most powerful barbarian nations brings to bear the brunt of its military force? I know I am likely at the beginning of a long and bitter fight.

For what it's worth, the Senate gave me the award it said it would--and pay particular attention to our family at the next election turn for Senatorial offices.

Kingfcius Takes On New Traits, Retinue

As the sacker of Medilanium, Kingfcius was the beneficiary of some new traits and a new memeber of his retinue.

His commanding ability was upgraded to Superior Commander, which gives him a +3 ability in Command.

He has become known as a Vanquisher, because of his military prowess and battlefield glory. This has made him popular and respected, earning him a 10% bonus to his popularity with the People. That fame, though, has earned him the enmity and jealousy of his colleagues, so his popularity in the Senate has dropped 5%.

Perhaps because of his motivational speech prior to the assault on Mediolanium, Kingfcius also earned the quality of Outstanding Speaker. He apparently can mesmerize listeners with his speech. This increases his Influence by +1, and gets him another 5% popularity bonus with the People (wow, that's 15% there).

To his retinue, Kingfcius has added a Barbarian turncoat--the loan survivor of the assault on the city of Mediolanium perhaps? Apparently some men will do anything to cheat death, and this man has turned traitor. While I have reservations about keeping such a man around, the former Gallic warrior gives Kingfcius a +1 bonus when attacking barbarians (I am guessing Gauls, Germans and Britons at the least, and maybe basic rebels as well).

Mediolanium and the Province of Cisalpine Gaul

Thanks to the taking of Mediolanium, we have adde a significant piece to the Julius empire, at least in sheer land size. Cisalpine Gaul is easily our largest province, taking up pretty much all of inland north and northwest Italy, and pieces of modern day Switzerland and France.

The River Po runs through it, and the north and western borders are dominated by the Alps. These are significant features for the protection of this border. The Alps are essentially impassable into this region except through two passes--the western path that runs from Transalpine Gaul and goes right into an opening that leads into both Cisalpine Gaul and neighboring Liguria, and the northern pass into the rebel held province of Noricum, which diplomat Sextus Antio passed through a couple years ago.

Well-placed forts in these passes might be key protective measures. Meanwhile, the Po offers another hindrance and potential chokepoint. Strategically, there might not be a more important region than Cisalpine Gaul in this war with the Gauls.

There is a key open border shared to the east with Venetia, currently a Gallic province (and probably our next target). That border is blocked by neither river nor mountain.

Altogether, Cisalpine Gaul is bordered by Transalpine Gaul and Lugdinensis to the west and northwest--both run by the Gauls, Noricum to the north, Venetia to the east, and Liguria to the south.

While it may have strategic qualities, it is barren of natural resources it seems. I found nothing of value in the province in that vein.

The city of Mediolanium once numbered 3000, but the scourge of Kingfcvius has reduced them to less than 700. Even so, it has a solid 5% population growth rate and will likely grow again quickly. The public order at a Normal tax rate in 125%, and that's with a the largest army in Julii Rome stationed there, so obviously this city is going to take awhile to be put completely under the Roman thumb. The income of the city at this tax rate is 798 dinarii every six months.

There is still a significant number of buildings in Mediolanium, which should provide a solid base for economic improvement. The central building is a governor's villa, and the militia barracks is also a second generation building. As noted, the city has a wooden palisade. It also has a practice range and a trader, so it has decent trade income and can trade a variety of units.

I am expecting the arrival of Gallic armies from virtually every direction now, and I also believe I need to take the province of Venetia for the good of the Julii family, so I need more troops, particularly cavalry (following the devastation of my equites units at Chiarii and Mediolanium).

So I have units starting in all four of the Family Julius cities. In Mediolanium, I order the retraining of a 29-man hastati unit, and a 58-man velite unit, to go along with a full new hastati unit. The original Julii cities are recruiting a new equites unit (Ariminum) and a new wardogs unit (Arretium), and a hastati unit is being retrained in Arretium as well. Segesta is training a town watch unit, so that the hastati units currently stationed there can be moved if needed.

There is also a new round of construction in what is likely our biggest single season of expenditure in some time (between recruitment and construction). Ariminum is starting a Trader, and Arretium a Blacksmith. Mediolanium will seek to improve trade and travel with Roads.

We are able to afford this in part because we received significant monies from the looting of Mediolanium.

Sextus Antio Reaches Gallic Capital

Unbenknownst to our diplomat (or us), Sextus Antio was drawing close to the capital of our enemy, Gaul. The capital is Alesia, the central settlement in Central Gaul, just northwest of Lugdinensis.

I was at first inclined to believe this was Paris, but it is somewhat east of the Seine. It could be any number of modern day possibilities, including Troyes, Reims, Auxerre and Dijon. Or maybe none of the above.

In any case, I decided this would be a good point to stop Sextus Antio and leave him for a bit. I am thinking I will try to quickly take Venetia, and then sue for peace. Will it work? I don't know. But it's worth a shot.

Icius Moves On To Venetia

In preparation for a possible invasion of Venetia, I am sending Icius to Patavium to once again scout out the central settlement of that province.

Icius was in Mediolanium working from within when the Julii assaulted the city.

Army Movements

I sent the depleted equites and wardogs from Mediolanium on a journey that will hopefully get them to Arretium and allow them to retrain. As the vernal equinox approaches, they are nearing the Venetian ford of the Po, and another season away from reaching the Julii capital.

CR

Old 10-08-2004, 04:50 AM   #141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Spring, Year of Rome 489

Small Gallic Army Attacks Julii Army

Not surprisingly, crossing Venetia, even partially, is a risky proposition at the moment, what with it being filled with warmongering Gauls.

Our small contingent of equites and wardogs ran into a full 121-man Gallic Warband unit looking for blood.

I felt we could take them, despite the fact we had just 43 men. Most of those men were on horses, while the rest were each controlling three wardogs. Still, I figured there was no reason risking this, so I elected to retreat back to Mediolanium.

I would end up sending them down the other side of the Ligurian coastal mountains toward Segesta, and via the back way to Arretium. Meanwhile, that Gallic warband has crossed into Cisalpine Gaul and is no standing outside of Mediolanium.

They aren't really going to attack the city, are they? That would be a brutal defeat for them, outnumbered seven to one.

Senate Quick To Give Us Another Mission

We have only just completed the last mission, and we have already received another.

The Senate sent notice to Chiefius that would like us to blockade the port of Patavium.

This is fantastic news, of course, as it so happens our entire navy is stationed at the port at nearby Ariminum. We have also not seen any sing of a single Gallic ship in the Adriatic Sea. This might be the easiest mission yet.

We will send Admiral Oppius and his ships up to Patavium over the summer.

Izuldius, Son of Bladeii, Comes Of Age

One of our more, umm, interesting characters has arrived. Izuldius, son of Bladeii, has reached age. He is now my oldest living grandson, with the passing of his cousin Daedalus.

Unfortunately, Izuldius is in some ways similar to Daedalus, with little to distinguish him from any other normal young man. He has no capacity for commanding an army, nor for managing a province, and those are two areas that are key for the leaders of the family. He does have a point of Influence, which at least puts him above Daedalus overall in his original skills (but that's not saying much).

Daedalus, though, was a clean slate. Not so with Izuldius, which is why he is interesting. He comes in with six traits already.

He is a Political Animal (+1 INF, 5% Senate popularity bonus, improves chances of election to Senatorial office), and that's an area he should only improve in as he gets older.

Like his grandfather, he is Stern (+1 MAN, 100% increase in bribe price). Sharing a trait with his father, he is an Obsessional Trainer (+1 Morale of troops, +10% to Movement Points of armies, allowed to force-march his army), although that turns out to be his lone combat-related trait.

He has In The Pink (+2 hitpoints on battlefield), which basically means he is quite resistant to sickness and injury. That makes him tougher to kill on the field of battle and, I assume, likely to live longer as well.

He appears to be the first underhanded financier of the family, with Financially Irregular (-1 MAN). Despite his youth, he has already apparently acquired a reputation for skimming off of the top.

The most interesting trait--and perhaps the most useful for the Family Julii--is Izuldius is particularly Fertile. He's a baby-making machine. He also looks impressive in his picture, live Clive Owen in King Arthur, so I'm sure he's a devil with the ladies. We gotta get this guy married, so we can get a whole family of baby generals going.

Izuldius seems to be a new kind of creature who takes most after, if anyone, his oldest uncle Sachmius. He seems to be a bit of a schemer. This is the kind of man that can both build up an empire with his savvy--or tear it apart with his machinations.

Like Daedalus, though, we may need to get Izuldius on the field of battle to develop some under-utilized qualities. If he can learn some adminsitrative skills from his father Baldeii, that, too, would be hopeful. Ariminum recruited a new equites unit, and Segesta finished its first Town Watch unit.

One of the nice things about retaining units is they often can be completed very quickly. The armed forces of the Julii family took a major step forward with the full recruitment and/or retraining of seven units.

Mediolanium not only completed the retraining of hastati and velite units, they also finished recruiting an entirely new unit of hastati. Arretium finished a wardogs unit which had already been under training, and retrained a hastati unit sent down from Segesta last year. Ariminum started us on the road to replacing our cavalry by recruiting a new equites unit. Segesta rounded off the new units by adding a new town watch unit.

Construction was much more limited. Mediolanium was the only town to finish a project, as it completed roads throughout Cisalpine Gaul.

Brigands In Umbria

A two-unit army of brigand rebels have appeared in north Umbria, along the road between Ariminum and Patavium.

They are likely just barbarian warriors or Warband, but I am not yet prepared to march out of Ariminum to take care of the problem. So I may allow the brigands to operate for a little longer.

It may be a nice opportunity, though, for Izuldius to cut his teeth on an easier opponent.

CR

Old 10-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #142
gi
College Prospect

Whispers coming out of Gaul.....Hoopsguyix lives...

gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:17 AM   #143
Blade6119
Coordinator

My god, what woman was stupid enough to sleep with me?
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:59 AM   #144
Radii
Head Coach

Excellent job taking Mediolanium, CR, and great narrative as always.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #145
KWhit
Coordinator

Great stuff so far CR.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #146
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
Heh...don't know where to begin, so I guess I'll go to the top.

Aadik: Glad you were able to labor through it. I hear I have a reputation for going overlong with my posts. I have added you to the list.

CR

Hey Hey - Im taking this to the senate- I thought I was already on the list earlier!!! Caesar Aadik shall not be denied!

Last edited by Aadik : 10-08-2004 at 06:41 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #147
BigDPW
College Prospect

This is great CR... I am really impressed... I would love to play a part... General is not necessary nor is being Roman...

Keep up the good work... I just sat here for about an hour reading the whole thing...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:28 PM   #148
kingfc22
Head Coach

Just had to bump one of my favorite reads.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #149
Travis
Pro Rookie

Can't wait to see this back in action.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #150
Buccaneer
Head Coach

From what I have heard, he is now way beyond all of this. I really wouldn't expect any detailed catch-ups but a summary would be nice.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote