Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #101
sabotai
General Manager

Page 3

....just wanted to be included...haven't loaded the game up yet.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-16-2004 at 04:28 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:33 PM   #102
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Argh, whenever you start a new league, it qualifies everyone for rookie records. I was hoping this would get fixed, because it has the ability to differentiate rookies on awards. I hate having to HM this stuff.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:36 PM   #103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
Argh, whenever you start a new league, it qualifies everyone for rookie records. I was hoping this would get fixed, because it has the ability to differentiate rookies on awards. I hate having to HM this stuff.

Yep, I mentioned this in SD's preview thread, and I think Craig mentioned something to Marcus about it. I didn't expect this to be fixed for the initial release, but hopefully in the first couple of patches...?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:49 PM   #104
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

One thing I like a lot is this new no-stars, no-ratings option. I am assuming the AI is getting to see them, but it's a challenge to go off stats and my sorry scout's scouting report.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #105
SnowMan
High School Varsity

FYI: The stickware schedule creator seems to work great with OOTP6.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #106
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Anyone that can point me to Ankit's Stadium file or another good picture stadium file for OOTP6?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:54 PM   #107
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

How about some sort of notification if you claim a player on waivers and the other team pulls him back.

When a player is claimed, the date of the transaction would be nice in the player's history. Not just, 'player X claimed by y.'
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #108
HighandOutside
n00b

Here a very good place for OOTP downloads/add-ons.....One more neophyte question, if you are starting a draft fictional league, should you start with all records on blank? Not sure why this option is confusing me, but it is.

http://www.ootpdownloadcenter.com/
HighandOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #109
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

How do I choose what skin I want to use? I was playing along with "Wood-Maple", the game crashed, and then when I loaded back up I can't find how to switch skins.

Thanks,
rpi-fan
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #110
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

When I put a player on waivers and he clears and I then release him. The release transaction is not on my transaction report.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandOutside
Here a very good place for OOTP downloads/add-ons.....One more neophyte question, if you are starting a draft fictional league, should you start with all records on blank? Not sure why this option is confusing me, but it is.

http://www.ootpdownloadcenter.com/

Thank you, that has everything I was looking for during the past 30-50 minutes
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #112
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
I found a potential bug. I messed around with some of the rating numbers and went back to the player screen and the starts were gone. I have never touched the star rating, so why would it do this?

Can anyone help me out here? I want my stars back.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:18 PM   #113
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Can anyone help me out here? I want my stars back.

You can turn the stars on and off in the same place you pick your ratings.

League setup bottom left.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #114
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
You can turn the stars on and off in the same place you pick your ratings.

League setup bottom left.

My starts are turned on but they are not showing up.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #115
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
How do I choose what skin I want to use? I was playing along with "Wood-Maple", the game crashed, and then when I loaded back up I can't find how to switch skins.

Thanks,
rpi-fan

Nevermind, found it.

OOTP3 convertee here, if you couldn't tell.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #116
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
My starts are turned on but they are not showing up.

Do you mean "stars" or "starts"?
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #117
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Very Cool.

First baseman got hurt. Had to bring up a guy out of options but still promising at age 26. Couldn't get him back through waivers after my guy was ready to go.

Very Cool.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:42 PM   #118
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Do you mean "stars" or "starts"?

Stars
Old 04-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #119
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - It seems the whole ratings thing messes up.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:51 PM   #120
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Bug:

On the player development report when a pitcher gains or loses endurance - it shows the number as '2' no matter what he new number is.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:57 PM   #121
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Bug: Game crashes in middle of simming for no apparanent reason. Happened 106 games into a season with a 1-league, 12-team association.

Also, got no playoff results the first year, and wasn't prompted for an amateur draft (yes, I have 10 rounds as chosen draft length).

Did I potentially do something wrong?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:00 PM   #122
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Also, here's my general impression:

I had OOTP3 when it came out because I was in FOBL and wanted to try OOTP in general. I loved FOBL, but my (limited) attempts at single player failed miserably. I just couldn't get into it.

I preordered OOTP6 for a couple of reasons:

I have some money that I wasn't planning on spending for a while, and I hadn't recently bought any computer games (holding off on temptations such as CM 03/04). I also want to find a league to join, so I'd need OOTP6 of course.

Well, I still can't get myself immersed in single player mode. I want to sim quickly, but at the same time I feel like I don't get to know my team.

My general point is: I think OOTP6 will be very enjoyable for people who got any kind of enjoyment out of previous versions - however, I don't find myself any more immersesd than V3.

Can anyone help me find a way to get more immersed in single player mode?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:09 PM   #123
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I can't get immersed quick simming, either. But...when I play out each game you really get to know each player's strength's and weaknesses. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but it works for me.

By the way, I saw your crash issue - tell me as much as you know about it as you can so we can isolate it. Were you quick simming? Did it show an error msg? Is the league salvageable? Was sound on or off?
Old 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #124
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I was out running, and left the game to "Sim Season". I think the error was 9 - the league is salvageable to the last save point, that being the beginning of the season. The error said "Visual C++ Runtime Error 9" and then a bunch of gobble-dy-gook.

Sound was on, technically, but it was quicksimming so it shouldn't have mattered. I had all notifications off, so I don't think that was a cause. I'm guessing it might have been the all-star break since it was a little past midseason.

Sorry I don't have more details.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:33 PM   #125
CraigSca
Pro Starter

No, no - that's good info! Thanks!
Old 04-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #126
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

In the draft there are way to many 19 and 20 year old high school kids. Not enough 18 and none that are 17.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #127
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
What the hell is the deal with the menus?

Toggle the 3D option in the game setup or config(don't remember which it is called).
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:55 PM   #128
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Looks pretty good, but I already got a bug. Imported an OOTP5 league and when I hit the button for 'Rule V Draft' the first year, it crashed to desktop.

Anyone see whether it works for any imported league?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-16-2004 at 06:57 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #129
FBPro
College Starter

Ok, I just ran an imported, fictional league all the way through FA, ammy and Rule V and now ST and went smooth as silk.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #130
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm... I read somewhere that Markus recommends you go through the all the pre-season stuff and then import. Perhaps that is what I need to do.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #131
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

it doesn't take long for me to get annoyed with OOTP. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with signing coaches and staff. They all just randomly sign with other teams. What is the trick? It certainly isn't offering them what they ask for. It isn't offering them 20% more than what they ask for. More years doesn't seem to help. Their preference seems irrellevant. There's no advice in the help file because there is no help file. What is the strategy supposed to be?
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #132
Kam
H.S. Freshman Team

Playing a game in a fictional league, computer pitcher gets hurt fielding the third out of the inning (5th). Check his player card and it says he will be out 5 weeks. Next inning, pitcher is still in the game and goes on to play 3 more innings (8th). After the game, his player card still says he will be out 5 weeks. Go to check League News. Article talks about the pitcher getting injured and leaving the game in the 5th inning. (and his stats were correct, they showed he pitched 8 innings.)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 PM   #133
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

The setup gives you all sorts of options. You have the option to put in a salary cap, but what should it be? Who knows? There's no help file to give you any indication. Are you just supposed to pick a number out of a hat and throw it in there to see what happens?

When you set up a fictional league, why are all the market sizes, fan loyalty, and fan interest exactly the same? Shouldn't there be some variation? Shouldn't you be able to pick out real cities instead of having Milwaukee and New York automatically be the same sized markets? It's just silly.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:04 PM   #134
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

When you create a fictional league, why does every computer controlled team play in generic "old league park"? Why can't you change this? Is variation not allowed?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #135
ahbrady
High School JV

After starting a fictional league and going through the draft, it will ask you if you want to change the market sizes to be adjusted to payroll. That will change the market size, fan loyalty, and fan interest. You also can change the park of computer controlled teams. Go into their team setup page and click on the ballpark.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #136
FBPro
College Starter

If you are playing "manager mode" then you can't change these things IF you aren't then you can.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:11 PM   #137
ahbrady
High School JV

I didn't think of the manager mode. I don't play that mode, so I didn't know that.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:12 PM   #138
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

They still have the option to change the number of rounds for the amateur draft. In previous versions you had to change the default. Should you do that here? Who knows? One would think not, but since you always had to before I'm assuming you still need to do it. What should it be? 5? 7? 15? A help file might be able to give guidance, but they don't give you a help file. Giving people options is good, but they need to explain what the options are and give some indication of what will happen if you choose one option over another.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #139
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan

I can duplicate the 1970 leagues and import real (historical) players from Lahman 5.1 for full immersion. Nothing else matters.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #140
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

What is the purpose of manager mode? To force you into using generic ballparks for every team and let you make babies? I really don't get the thinking here.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #141
Axxon
Pro Starter

I'm gettting the idea that yabanci would have prefered more, I mean any, documentation come with the game.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #142
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahbrady
After starting a fictional league and going through the draft, it will ask you if you want to change the market sizes to be adjusted to payroll. That will change the market size, fan loyalty, and fan interest. You also can change the park of computer controlled teams. Go into their team setup page and click on the ballpark.

If I understand this correctly, whichever team selects the most expensive players is given the biggest market size? It doesn't seem very logical to me. Market size data is readily available. Why don't they have it in the game? Look at FOF -- it's all there, just about every city in the US. Determining market size based on salaries of players selected in the initial fantasy draft seems awfully silly. How is weather for the different teams determined? I hope it's not dependent on which players you draft too.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:30 PM   #143
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
If I understand this correctly, whichever team selects the most expensive players is given the biggest market size? It doesn't seem very logical to me. Market size data is readily available. Why don't they have it in the game? Look at FOF -- it's all there, just about every city in the US. Determining market size based on salaries of players selected in the initial fantasy draft seems awfully silly. How is weather for the different teams determined? I hope it's not dependent on which players you draft too.

It is. The game faithfully models the cutting edge DustyBaker Theory of weather pattern development.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #144
John Galt
Pro Starter

I still see "Clutch Performance" on a player's card!?!?!?! I assume this is disabled with the new stat engine (which I'm using), but it is disconcerting to see.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #145
ahbrady
High School JV

Yabanci, you're such an OOTP fanboy.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #146
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What, I'm driving all over the place today and I come home to a release?

This did catch my eye from RPI-FAN:

Quote:
Well, I still can't get myself immersed in single player mode. I want to sim quickly, but at the same time I feel like I don't get to know my team.

My general point is: I think OOTP6 will be very enjoyable for people who got any kind of enjoyment out of previous versions - however, I don't find myself any more immersesd than V3.

I don't like the sound of this.

Also, do the stadiums, logos, cato's utility, etc.. work with v6?

Thanks,

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:03 PM   #147
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Also, do the stadiums, logos, cato's utility, etc.. work with v6?

Stadiums and logos should work, but Cato will have to update his utility (as well Commish Joe update his exporter).
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #148
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Having started over, I'm now trying to decide whether I want "blank records" or "default records." I know what I'll get with blank records, but the default records are like a mystery surprise dessert. What exactly will I get if I go with "default records"?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:09 PM   #149
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
What, I'm driving all over the place today and I come home to a release?

This did catch my eye from RPI-FAN:

[snip]

I don't like the sound of this.

Todd

Why? It has always been that way - just like every single sports text sims out there - some find the game fun, some don't for many reasons. For example, I find FOF SP to be the least immersive text sim I have ever played but OOTP4 and 5 to be the most immersive. Others are just the opposite, which is understandable. Every one who has an interest must determine whether a game connects or not. With OOTP, it can be current real players or online leagues only or historical eras (that's where I only connect) or PbP or modeling a softball league or whatever. The good thing is that the game gives many options for many of us to find that connection unlike some other games (text sims or strategy games) that says play it my way or don't play it all.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:10 PM   #150
ahbrady
High School JV

I would think that "default records" would be the actual MLB records.