Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2004, 11:26 PM   #101
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
Fixed this for you.

Hate to tell you this, but conservatives do not have an exclusive right to speak for America.

They don't. The left controls Hollyweird and the major networks (where I think it is illegal -- or at least job-threatening -- to utter...the R-word); the right controls AM talk radio, and cable news (where Fox is absolutely kicking the a$$es of the other cable news networks).
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:04 AM   #102
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WussGawd
Nice spin. The truth is I'm a regular listener, and the ads were pulled a month ago. As in, I haven't heard a GM ad since. I've heard ads for other companies products, not GM.

Now maybe your location isn't up to date in your profile, or maybe you're listening to a webcast or something, I don't know but ... you're not exactly someone I'd expect to be listening to the New York affiliate (which is what the GM story is about - that one specific affiliate).

And even in a webcast environment, it's not unheard of for stations/outlets to have different content for the online broadcast vs the over-the-air broadcast, especially in cases involving syndicated programming.

So, unless you're actually in NYC, listening to the over-the-air broadcast on WLIB itself, just because you aren't hearing it doesn't mean it isn't running.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:27 AM   #103
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

meanwhile, I'm happy to report we've had no staff turnover and we've made every payroll over here at NRAnews.com
Old 05-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #104
timmynausea
College Starter

Actually, I'm 95% certain that the online broadcast is just the WLIB broadcast. Also I distinctly remember hearing a GM commercial early this week. I took note of it, cause I hadn't heard it before, and I thought it was weird that GM would advertise on Air America. I only listen on the web.
I hope Air America pulls through. Actually I hope Franken's show survives. It's funny. I don't care about the rest.

Last edited by timmynausea : 05-14-2004 at 11:38 AM.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #105
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
meanwhile, I'm happy to report we've had no staff turnover and we've made every payroll over here at NRAnews.com

I'm just waiting for the scandal to break when it's discovered that NRAnews.com is a web-only broadcast because it's actually produced in Malaysia by underpaid child labor.

;-)
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #106
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm just waiting for the scandal to break when it's discovered that NRAnews.com is a web-only broadcast because it's actually produced in Malaysia by underpaid child labor.

At what point is child labor paid a suitable wage?
Old 05-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #107
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

;-)

Hey, we pay Hwok Ju a living wage!

Actually, if you ever get out to D.C. let me know and I'll be happy to give you a tour of the studio. Should take about ten seconds and then we can go grab a beer.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:40 PM   #108
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Hey, we pay Hwok Ju a living wage!

Actually, if you ever get out to D.C. let me know and I'll be happy to give you a tour of the studio. Should take about ten seconds and then we can go grab a beer.

I'll be sure to take you up on that sometime... My family lives in Lynchburg, VA, and anytime I make it back there, I usually try to visit DC.... especially if it's football season, and the Redskins are playing.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:33 PM   #109
Dutch
"Dutch"

Do you have any guns in the studio?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #110
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Now maybe your location isn't up to date in your profile, or maybe you're listening to a webcast or something, I don't know but ... you're not exactly someone I'd expect to be listening to the New York affiliate (which is what the GM story is about - that one specific affiliate).

And even in a webcast environment, it's not unheard of for stations/outlets to have different content for the online broadcast vs the over-the-air broadcast, especially in cases involving syndicated programming.

So, unless you're actually in NYC, listening to the over-the-air broadcast on WLIB itself, just because you aren't hearing it doesn't mean it isn't running.

I listen via XM...greatest thing since sliced bread. Most, but not all of the radio spots seem to be going via XM. However, your point is good...though I distinctly remember hearing GM commercials when they first went on the air, and I could swear this story crossed the newswire a month ago.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #111
timmynausea
College Starter

I just found this on salon.com.
Interesting.

Arbitron shocker: Franken beats Limbaugh

Boy, talk about burying the lead. In its Monday profile of the new liberal talk radio network Air America, the New York Times spent so much time dwelling on the financial woes that have reportedly plagued the start-up company that it wasn't until the 15th paragraph that readers learned this bombshell: Talk radio novice Al Franken's new Air America show beat conservative kingpin Rush Limbaugh in New York City where the two go head-to-head every weekday afternoon from noon to three o'clock. That's according to preliminary Arbitron rating estimates for April.

Heard in New York on WLIB-AM, whose ratings were virtually non-existent prior to switching over to Air America's programming earlier this year, Franken and the rest of Air America's 10 a.m-to-3 p.m lineup grabbed a 3.4 rating among listeners age 25-to-54. By contrast, Limbaugh who has been the most highly rated political talk show host in America for the last decade, and who is heard in New York on talk radio powerhouse WABC, lead the station to just a 3.2 rating. There's more (although the Times forgot to mention it): Among listeners 18-to-34, Franken and WLIB won in a knockout, garnering a 2.9 ratings share compared to WABC's dismal 0.4 showing.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:44 PM   #112
Cuckoo
College Starter

Who would be shocked that Franken beat Limbaugh in New York City?
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:59 PM   #113
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
Who would be shocked that Franken beat Limbaugh in New York City?

Agreed. This should come as no surprise. What would be interesting is to see if those numbers hold up over a period of time. Limbaugh's been holding steady for a loooong time.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
That's according to preliminary Arbitron rating estimates for April.

1) "Phase" estimates (basically partial ratings period "snapshots") are notoriously volatile & often bear no resemblence to the actual ratings for
a quarter.

2) Judging from the wording here, I imagine these numbers refer to Adults in the given age groups, not Men in the given age groups.

Considering that talk radio, especially conservative AM talk radio, is almost exclusively male oriented (I've seen 90%+ male audiences for various shows in various markets for years), it's not really surprising to me that any number of things (including Owl Franken) would beat Limbaugh in Adults. Women outnumber men in pretty much all markets, if you can pull women, you can win Adults.

If the final numbers for the current book show Franken winning the daypart, then I'll allow that it's not unreasonable for A.A. to crow about it.
But until then ...
Old 07-30-2004, 08:22 AM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fair is fair, so I felt it was appropriate for me to be the one to post this.
I'll reserve the right to editoralize on it later, for now, I'll just give you the story.

Champagne corks are popping at Clear Channel's Portland, OR cluster, as "Progressive Talk" KPOJ rises from a 0.4 rating in winter 2004 — when the station was Oldies as "Super 62" — to a 3.7 12+ share in the just-released spring 2004 Arbitrons. CC/Portland, OR RVP/Programming Tony Coles tells R&R that his entire staff was "blown away" by the results, although VP/Market Manager Mary Lou Gunn expected the results "to be huge." Meanwhile, KPOJ ranks third overall in the 25-54 demo, thanks to a 0.3-4.9 climb. KPOJ carries all of Air America Radio's shows except Unfiltered, which is preempted in order to accommodate the Jones-syndicated Ed Schultz News and Views. The move paid off well for KPOJ: The KFGO/Fargo, ND-based program ranks No. 1 in the 25-54 demo in Portland, with a 6.4. Specifically, KPOJ's 10am-3pm daypart grew from a 0.4 in March to a 4.9 in April and a 5.5 in May in among listeners 25-54. Given those results, projections by Schultz's team put his show earning at least an 8.8 share in June in the demo.
http://radioandrecords.com/Newsroom/...0/topstory.asp
(Note: this link may change as other stories roll through R&R, but you should be able to find it for a week or so by clicking their "Today's News"/"Newsroom" link)

On a side note, I saw the other day where they've hired Mike Malloy, a former WSB-AM host who was the first politically oriented talker I listened to on a regular basis quite a long time ago.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #116
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

wait a second. you're telling me a Clear Channel owned station is running liberal talk?

But I thought they were a part of the right wing hate machine?

I'm so confused.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:51 AM   #117
SFL Cat
College Starter

Heh, it's a strategy called diversification! Psst, don't tell the liberals.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:54 AM   #118
timmynausea
College Starter

More news concerning the doomed Air America.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5724045
Old 07-30-2004, 12:33 PM   #119
SFL Cat
College Starter

He beat O'Reilly, but Limbaugh beats them both combined. I'm kinda surprised by Limbaugh's staying power, especially after his much publicized drug problems.

Air America is only on 17 stations? That's nothing to crow about considering all the publicity it got during its startup.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
He beat O'Reilly, but Limbaugh beats them both combined. I'm kinda surprised by Limbaugh's staying power, especially after his much publicized drug problems.

There's a certain cyclical nature to radio, at least for long-running hosts/shows.
Limbaugh has been resurgent in quite a few markets since returning to the air, this seems like a continuance of that trend. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or something like that perhaps.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:44 PM   #121
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

and don't forget that O'Reilly's radio show has never been successful. I don't think there's a single market where it outperforms Rush (or for that matter, even comes close).
Old 07-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #122
timmynausea
College Starter

I'm listening right now. They were playing this debate from Tuesday between Hannity and Franken. Hannity is a real douche.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:55 PM   #123
timmynausea
College Starter

Oh man. This is hilarious. Franken just pulled out this joke on Hannity. I can't believe it. He asked Hannity how many USO tours he has done? Hannity of course said none. To which Franken replied, "Well, I understand. You don't have any talent."
Hilarious.
What would Hannity do on a USO tour? Talk about how Clinton is a liar? He really does have no talent.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #124
timmynausea
College Starter

doomed.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040803/nytu040_1.html
Old 08-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
Isn't the only reason Howard Stern's is on E! is because he has lots of naked women on it? I suppose it works for some of the Fox News, tho.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-03-2004 at 02:12 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:42 PM   #126
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

FYI. Looks like there's an HBO documentary on the startup, near collapse, and recovery of Air America Radio on Thursday Night at 8 PM Eastern. It's called Left of the Dial. Saw a writeup of it on the LA Times' site earlier today, which has now disappeared.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 AM   #127
Galaril
Pro Starter

Hard to believe they survived thus far to the chagrins of the neocons. I
myself don't care for there way left slant to rthings about as little as I do Fox's Hannity/O'Reilly. But it is good to see that diffenet opinions to can be voiced openly.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:39 AM   #128
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
and don't forget that O'Reilly's radio show has never been successful. I don't think there's a single market where it outperforms Rush (or for that matter, even comes close).

I was listening to Randi Rhodes for a second yesterday (March Madness ruins sports radion for the whole month), and she claimed that her show is actually beating Limbaugh in Palm Beach (where I believe both live). If true, I'll find that pretty funny. (BTW, I'll also be shocked. She is completely annoying)
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #129
SFL Cat
College Starter

I would rather listen to a totally drugged out Limbaugh than perpetual PMS Queen Rhodes any day of the week (I live in the Palm Beach area btw). If I want to hear a woman bitching and moaning, I'll go home, thank you very much.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 03-29-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:37 AM   #130
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I have flipped over to Air America every once in a while. What I find to be much better though is Sirius TalkLeft on Sirius radio obviously. They have better hosts then Air America, athough a couple are just as bad.

One show on TalkLeft that I found to be a pretty good show (when I listened to it) is The Young Turks.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #131
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
I would rather listen to a totally drugged out Limbaugh than perpetual PMS Queen Rhodes any day of the week (I live in the Palm Beach area btw). If I want to hear a woman bitching and moaning, I'll go home, thank you very much.

suprise!!

BTW, I told you all it would last.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #132
st.cronin
General Manager

I'll take NPR any day. They're lefty, but way more centrist and reasonable than Air America. The far left and the far right both make me want to cry.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #133
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Well, I was going to listen one day, then decided that poking a sharp stick into my eye would be more fun (ouch! That hurts!!)
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #134
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
Well, I was going to listen one day, then decided that poking a sharp stick into my eye would be more fun (ouch! That hurts!!)

im soo shocked

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:27 AM   #135
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Air America Radio, a liberal talk and news radio network that features the comedian Al Franken, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, a network official told The AP.

The network had denied rumors just a month ago that it would file for bankruptcy. On Friday, Air America spokeswoman Jaime Horn told The Associated Press that the filing became necessary only recently after negotiations with a creditor from the company's early days broke down.

The network will stay on the air while it resolves issues with its creditors, Horn said. In addition to Franken, the network also features shows from liberal talk show host Randi Rhodes and Jerry Springer.

Horn declined to name the creditor with which talks had reached a logjam. The company will operate in the interim with funding from its current investor group.

Air American also said Friday it had named Scott Elberg as its new CEO. Elberg, a former general manager of the radio station WLIB in New York, has been with the network since May of last year.

The filing marked the latest turbulence at the liberal talk radio network, which went on the air two years ago. This April, Danny Goldberg stepped down as CEO and was replaced by an interim chief executive from a management consulting firm.

"Nobody likes filing for bankruptcy," Elberg said in a statement. "However, this move will enable us to concentrate on informing and entertaining our audience during the coming months."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #136
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Bumped for news above and moved to GD forum.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #137
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
IIf I want to hear a woman bitching and moaning, I'll go home, thank you very much.

What is your wife's e-mail address? There is something I want to send her.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #138
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

So does this mean the big experiment isn't working, or that the liberals don't have as big a pocket as the conservatives?

Did anyone not see this coming a long time ago?

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #139
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels View Post

Exactly the problem. People are so blinded and stubborn by their own political views that they wouldn't even consider listening to another point of view.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #140
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Exactly the problem. People are so blinded and stubborn by their own political views that they wouldn't even consider listening to another point of view.

No, the problem was that there is something called NPR which already has Air America's target audience.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 AM   #141
waltwal
H.S. Freshman Team

i have never heard Air America as we don't seem to get it in the Palm Springs area. but something i have noticed in recent political ads. if you want to attack a Democrat you call them a "Liberal" and that seems to carry a very negative connotation with it. nothing else needs to be said. but i never hear anyone attacking a Republican by calling them simply a "Conservative". now there are other labels such as "far right wing" but Conservative is simply not enough to attack someone.

so when you label Air America as a Liberal talk show i think it is hurt coming right out of the gate. on the other hand the word Conservative doesn't seem to hurt the right political shows.

before you disagree with my views on the word liberal remember i am saying that i am actually hearing simply the word "Liberal" used by Republicans to attack Democrats in political ads.
waltwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:51 AM   #142
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
No, the problem was that there is something called NPR which already has Air America's target audience.

No, I wasn't talking about the demise of Air America. I was talking about Bubba saying he would rather stab himself in the eye than listen to it. I assume he means any Liberal slanted media and not just Air America.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #143
waltwal
H.S. Freshman Team

i have rarely listened to NPR but it really maddens me that this network is maintained with taxpayer funds. it is known to have liberal leanings and when i listen to it on trips sometimes i find it to be liberal in its views. i would say the same thing if NPR was known to have conservative leanings. i do not think the government should be supporting any station with taxpayer funds.
waltwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #144
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal View Post
i have rarely listened to NPR but it really maddens me that this network is maintained with taxpayer funds. it is known to have liberal leanings and when i listen to it on trips sometimes i find it to be liberal in its views. i would say the same thing if NPR was known to have conservative leanings. i do not think the government should be supporting any station with taxpayer funds.

There's reality's known liberal bias again...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
No, I wasn't talking about the demise of Air America. I was talking about Bubba saying he would rather stab himself in the eye than listen to it. I assume he means any Liberal slanted media and not just Air America.

I have to admit, I'm with Bubba on this one. I too would rather he stab himself in the eye than listen to Air America.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #146
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwal View Post

How do you know that it has liberal leanings if you rarely listen to it?
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #147
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

This just doesn't fly with me. There's way more to it than this.

Make all the fights about Democrat vs. Republican, Liberal vs. Conservative and who wins elections, but when it comes down to it in everything i've seen America is around 50/50 split.. even if one side swings as far as 55, the other side has 45... to say that Air America failed because of close mindedness is silly... they have just as large of a potential audience that agrees with them as the VERY successful conservative shows.

Do I know why it's failing? I'm not particularly sure, I have some theories, but this is not an accurate one imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #148
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola:

FWIW, I don't like much political radio on either side of the aisle. I prefer Afternoon/Morning Drive Radio, Sports Radio, NPR (believe it or not, there's a LOT of good stuff on there that is not political despite what a lot of people say), etc, etc. over most political radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #149
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Dola:

FWIW, I don't like much political radio on either side of the aisle. I prefer Afternoon/Morning Drive Radio, Sports Radio, NPR (believe it or not, there's a LOT of good stuff on there that is not political despite what a lot of people say), etc, etc. over most political radio.

I never listen to poltical radio. I have no idea where to find Air America on the dial. I've never listened to one second of it. I get too sick/angry to listen to the conservative trash. Like wm, I switch between Sports Radio and NPR on the drive to and from work. If NPR is too boring and there are commericals on the Sports Radio, I try to find some music.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #150
Warhammer
Pro Starter

My problem with Air America was all the nutjobs they had on it. I listen to Rush and Glenn Beck (who is a nutjob himself, but a lovable nutjob) because they are entertaining. Also, both of them will try to prove points rather than just saying what they want you to believe.

The ones I can't stand are the shows that try to shove everything down your throat and how they are correct, etc., etc., like Randi Rhodes and Sean Hannity.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote