Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #101
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That countdown begins the day a coach is hired.
Welcome to Hollywood.

Hey, not disagreeing. I just think it's dumb and part of the college football human condition. Doesn't mean I can't rail against it or disagree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Eh? No large amount of LSU fans are calling for Mile's head. Sure there are a few idiots that exist everywhere. But damn, Miles could be the next Coker, he could be the next Bobby Bowden. Because he won the national championship one shouldn't admit to oneself that a horrible major decision he made could be a major issue? And to wonder if it will be or won't be indicative of Mile's future?

I think the only stupidity is you being overly combative over a "perhaps" statement.

Way to back away from stronger statements made earlier in the thread there, chief.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #102
Swaggs
Coordinator

I know it is beyond the realm of reality, but it would be interesting to see if LSU would let Miles go to Michigan and Michigan would let Rodriguez go to Clemson.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #103
General Mike
Pro Starter

Greg Robinson error is over at 'Cuse.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #104
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Way to back away from stronger statements made earlier in the thread there, chief.

You fail at reading comprehension. Emphasis bolded.

Quote:
Will Les Miles = Larry Coker? I think Les Miles has/had more potential as a head coach than that, but he has made an AWFUL, AWFUL decision at defensive coordinator and didn't do a better job to ensure that he had a QB that would be ready to be at least not horrible. With good coordinators that can be very detail oriented, I think Miles could be a great coach. The problem is it is up to a head coach to hire coordinators, and he laid a huge egg by promoting two clueless coaches from within.

Yea, I made real strong statements about how aweful Les Miles is and how he definitely is/will be Larry Coker.

I wondered outloud if its not possible if Les Miles would not be Larry Coker redux. I am actually a big Les Miles fan, even if I am a huge opponent of one of his decisions, and worry about its ramifications. But you paid no attention to that and basically call me an idiot fan with a pitchfork.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #105
DeToxRox
Head Coach

A better comparison for Les is Lloyd Carr.

He won his NC and after that gave Michigan very consistent teams, but never really got us over the hump. He was too loyal to his own coaches, and it cost some of his teams in the end.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #106
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
A better comparison for Les is Lloyd Carr.

He won his NC and after that gave Michigan very consistent teams, but never really got us over the hump. He was too loyal to his own coaches, and it cost some of his teams in the end.

The Coker comparison was actually started by rival SEC fans before this season, because like Coker Miles inherited a team that had won a national title recently (something Carr didn't inherit), and went on to win another under the perception of some rivals that it was done because of the program built by his predecessor. The big difference being that Miles did it in his third year, not his first. So there was clearly a bigger Miles stamp on that team. How accurate that comparison will be will depend on if LSU improves next year.

In related news, there is talk from behind the scenes that the Co-DCs are on Miles's hot seat.

Last edited by Tigercat : 11-16-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:19 PM   #107
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ugh. Wabash got creamed in the oldest rivalry west of the Alleghenies, the Monon Bell Classic. We threw three second quarter picks and were behind 23-0 at halftime. We finally scored in the second half, but Depauw took the bell back to Greencastle with a 36-14 victory.

Tomorrow we'll find out if the loss cost us a home playoff game.

I just want to say that I've never heard of any of the bolded words above, and have only heard "Wabash" in reference to a street here in town, and the song, "The Wabash Cannonball", which I believe refers to a rollercoaster.

That is all.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #108
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Got to say, there's something sweet about Spurrier getting 56 posted against him since few coaches used and abused on a yearly basis creme puff teams.

I am a huge Gator fan, and have a special place in my heart for Spurrier for all he did for our program.

That said, I've always understood exactly why he garnered so much hatred from opposing fans.

I was talking about this exact subject yesterday in the waning moments of the game with my step father. I wonder how it feels for him to me on the shit end of the stick in a game like this.

Even when Florida would lose badly during his time there, he always seemed kind of bemused by it, knowing that it was only a matter of time until redemption, usually the following week, or at most the next year.

Now, though, the prospects of blowing the doors off an opponent to make himself feel better are slim indeed.

RIP
Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #109
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
You fail at reading comprehension. Emphasis bolded.

Yea, I made real strong statements about how aweful Les Miles is and how he definitely is/will be Larry Coker.

I wondered outloud if its not possible if Les Miles would not be Larry Coker redux. I am actually a big Les Miles fan, even if I am a huge opponent of one of his decisions, and worry about its ramifications. But you paid no attention to that and basically call me an idiot fan with a pitchfork.

Thanks for bolding the words which support your argument while un-emphasizing AWFUL AWFUL decision and TWO CLUELESS COORDINATORS.

I'll grant that you know much more about LSU football than I, but I think it's a little bit hasty to throw coordinators under the bus after a few games with an untested quarterback surrounding cast.

Of course, I just guess that's the MO of the SEC.

WE LOST TWO GAME COORDINATORS SUCK FIRE EM'

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-16-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #110
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
The Coker comparison was actually started by rival SEC fans before this season, because like Coker Miles inherited a team that had won a national title recently (something Carr didn't inherit), and went on to win another under the perception of some rivals that it was done because of the program built by his predecessor. The big difference being that Miles did it in his third year, not his first. So there was clearly a bigger Miles stamp on that team. How accurate that comparison will be will depend on if LSU improves next year.

In related news, there is talk from behind the scenes that the Co-DCs are on Miles's hot seat.

So, you bring up the Coker comparison in the first place, then shoot it down with later comments.

Mmmhmm.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 PM   #111
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
So, you bring up the Coker comparison in the first place, then shoot it down with later comments.

Mmmhmm.

I reserve the right to be thoughtful and open minded.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #112
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
At least the conference should meet its bowl obligations given both Clemson and Virginia need just one win between them to become the ninth team from the ACC.

I believe Clemson has to win both of their final 2 games, because they beat 2 I-AA schools, and only one of those wins counts towards bowl eligibility. If (and that's a big If) they can beat Virginia next week, that makes the final game against South Carolina pretty damn big.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #113
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ho-hum. Another Big 12 North championship and with a win next week against Kansas, a mediocre 10-2 record in the regular season. May the Tigers be cursed with such terrible seasons for years to come.

BTW, obviously Mizzou plays Texas Tech in the B12 Championship if they beat OU. What are the possibilities if Tech loses as far as tiebreakers?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #114
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not sure if this falls under general lack of knowledge or just lazy writing. From Mark Schlabach's College Gameday Final column on ESPN.com:

"One of the best coaching jobs in the country has gone largely unnoticed. Rutgers lost five of its first six games, but has somehow rebounded to win four games in a row, including a 49-16 rout at South Florida on Saturday. If the Scarlet Knights beat Army and Louisville to finish 7-5, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano will have to get serious consideration for jobs at larger schools."

I don't know what sort of schools would qualify, maybe Miami and Michigan?

Last edited by Logan : 11-17-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #115
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm not sure if this falls under general lack of knowledge or just lazy writing. From Mark Schlabach's College Gameday Final column on ESPN.com:

"One of the best coaching jobs in the country has gone largely unnoticed. Rutgers lost five of its first six games, but has somehow rebounded to win four games in a row, including a 49-16 rout at South Florida on Saturday. If the Scarlet Knights beat Army and Louisville to finish 7-5, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano will have to get serious consideration for jobs at larger schools."

I'd chalk it up to lazy writing. One time I got into a pissing match over email with him because he blatantly stole an article word for word on my blog without giving any credit to me. When I called him out on it he said he got the quotes from another site, and when I went there it cited my blog as where they got it from. When I brought that up, he never responded.

He's a SEC hack pretty much and doesn't look at the world outside the SEC.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #116
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
BTW, obviously Mizzou plays Texas Tech in the B12 Championship if they beat OU. What are the possibilities if Tech loses as far as tiebreakers?

1. OU beats TT:

a. If OU, TT and Texas then win their last game, all 3 will have 7-1 conference records, and the team with the highest BCS ranking will go to the championship game.

b. If OU loses to OSU, then Texas Tech goes to the Big XII Championship game, unless they lose to Baylor AND Texas beats Texas A&M. In that case, Texas would go.

2. Texas Tech beats OU:

They go to the Big XII Championship game, regardless of what they do against Baylor.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thanks, Vic.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #118
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I'd chalk it up to lazy writing. One time I got into a pissing match over email with him because he blatantly stole an article word for word on my blog without giving any credit to me. When I called him out on it he said he got the quotes from another site, and when I went there it cited my blog as where they got it from. When I brought that up, he never responded.

He's a SEC hack pretty much and doesn't look at the world outside the SEC.

Not surprised. Now I have more of a reason to dislike him.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just heard that Pinkel is no longer a consideration for the Washington head coaching position. He will sign a big contract extension with Mizzou likely before the bowl game.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #120
Logan
Head Coach

Which will mean precisely....dick.

(Not a shot at Mizz or Pinkel, just reality in the CFB world)
Old 11-17-2008, 11:54 AM   #121
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Which will mean precisely....dick.

(Not a shot at Mizz or Pinkel, just reality in the CFB world)

He was among the main candidates being considered. As a Mizzou fan, awfully glad to hear that he's not going anywhere.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #122
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I believe Clemson has to win both of their final 2 games, because they beat 2 I-AA schools, and only one of those wins counts towards bowl eligibility. If (and that's a big If) they can beat Virginia next week, that makes the final game against South Carolina pretty damn big.

that is correct
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #123
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

How good of a coaching job was he doing when they were 1-5? Miami is still too young to really dump a coach this early. As bas as RR had it this year in Michigan, you don't fire a coach after one season unless the law was involved.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
you don't fire a coach after one season unless the law was involved.

Or if the coach has a mullet.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #125
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
How good of a coaching job was he doing when they were 1-5? Miami is still too young to really dump a coach this early. As bas as RR had it this year in Michigan, you don't fire a coach after one season unless the law was involved.

Logan was cleverly referring to the fact that Schiano was contacted by both of those schools, and chose to stay at Rutgers. Meanwhile the lazy and/or ignorant sportswriter seems unaware that he had gotten any attention from, umm, larger schools.

RIP