Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2005, 03:35 PM   #101
sabotai
General Manager

I wonder if me and Jon would get along IRL....

He is a christian authoritarian
I am an atheist anarchist

Sounds like a sitcom.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #102
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
I wonder if me and Jon would get along IRL....

He is a christian authoritarian
I am an atheist anarchist

Sounds like a sitcom.

If you two would make a reality series, I'd watch.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:38 PM   #103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like a sitcom.

See, even with our differences, we find at least one small point to agree on.

Coming soon to FOX & Bravo: "The Really Odd Couple"
Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #104
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
That wasn't some sort of vague threat or anything, it was a general statement that applies to you, me, or any other business -- Pissing off customers is bad for business.

Well shit. Looks like .400's in trouble.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:56 PM   #105
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
I'm actually in favor of whatever means works to an end in the most efficient & effective way possible.

Think out of the box Huck, don't limit your options when you don't have to.
You could just kill him. That's pretty effective. Which, of course, you're probably cool with in your political ideology.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings

Last edited by Huckleberry : 06-24-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #106
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

The irony is, if Jon were to boycott everyone that disagreed with his politics, he would be forced to live in a shack in Montana devoid of material possessions, à la the Unabomber.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 PM   #107
JW
College Prospect

I wonder if we would all feel the same about a public burning of the Koran in front of a mosque? How quickly would the ACLU rush to the defense of the Koran burner?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:02 PM   #108
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
How quickly would the ACLU rush to the defense of the Koran burner?
I would imagine very quickly. The ACLU is a very intellectually honest organization. (see: their defense of Rush Limbaugh)
Old 06-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #109
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
I would imagine very quickly. The ACLU is a very intellectually honest organization. (see: their defense of Rush Limbaugh)

The ACLU? Intellectually honest? I disagree. Their background is anything but, though they do take such cases sometimes for appearances sake. I have heard the head of the ACLU in Louisiana speak several times, and he is about the biggest anti-Christian bigot I have ever met. So I respectfully disagree with you.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #110
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:

I agree with this, the ACLU is pretty even-handed. In fact, back in college, I remember that the campus ACLU chapter was actually branded as a conservative group because of their stance against my college's hate speech policies...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #111
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
I agree with this, the ACLU is pretty even-handed. In fact, back in college, I remember that the campus ACLU chapter was actually branded as a conservative group because of their stance against my college's hate speech policies...

Really? And I thought the ACLU's sole purpose was only to attack christianity....

(sarcasm off)
Old 06-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #112
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really? And I thought the ACLU's sole purpose was only to attack christianity....

You're confusing "sole" with "primary".
Old 06-24-2005, 05:16 PM   #113
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
You're confusing "sole" with "primary".

Yeah, that must it...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #114
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, that must it...

Roll 'em all you want Sab, it's good for the ratings on our TV show.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:21 PM   #115
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Roll 'em all you want Sab, it's good for the ratings on our TV show.

*throws a book at Jon in slow motion*
Voice Over: Tensions boil....Tuesday at 9.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #116
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
*throws a book at Jon in slow motion*
Voice Over: Tensions boil....Tuesday at 9.

And in the clip, they show me wearing a t-shirt that says:
"Gun Control = Hitting What You Aim At"
Old 06-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #117
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
And in the clip, they show me wearing a t-shirt that says:
"Gun Control = Hitting What You Aim At"

And I'm wearing my "Government is a Parasite" t-shirt.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #118
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware

Indeed. That's why I'm a member. Sure many individuals tend towards the left. But it's good enough for Bob Barr and I sure don't consider him a liberal. It is the only organization out there that defends our free speech rights and rights against unwarrented searches and seizures.

AND they are the biggest anti-PATRIOT Act group out there. That enough got me sold.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #119
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Indeed. That's why I'm a member. Sure many individuals tend towards the left. But it's good enough for Bob Barr and I sure don't consider him a liberal. It is the only organization out there that defends our free speech rights and rights against unwarrented searches and seizures.

AND they are the biggest anti-PATRIOT Act group out there. That enough got me sold.

So you agree that the ACLU is not being overly zealous in obtaining the removal of a veteran's memorial in the form of a cross that was erected some 70 years ago in Mojave National Preserve?

http://www.desertdispatch.com/2005/111339890147316.html

And you agree with the removal of a tiny cross from the Los Angeles city official seal (but not the removal of other symbols with a religious context)?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121039,00.html

You agree that the ACLU is simply acting to preserve our freedom from religious tyranny in these cases?

Or do you agree with Mr. Cook who wants school board members in Louisiana arrested for engaging in an act of protest. Mr. Cook and the ACLU obtained an injunction preventing a Louisiana school board (elected governing body of a school district) from opening its sessions with a prayer. Board members decided as an act of protest to meet outside the board meeting room and pray before the start of the meeting, while abiding by the injunction against prayer opening the meeting. Rather than seeing this as a legitimate act of protest, Mr. Cook has demanded that the participants be arrested. One would think Mr. Cook would see the irony of his actions. But he does not.

The ACLU, some of its members anyway, have such a great anti-religious zeal that they might well be called secular puritans. And puritanism of any kind is bad for America.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #120
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

JW, the ACLU is principled. One such principle is keeping church and state seperate. That, obviously, does not equate to a hatred of church. And being principled, to the organization it doesn't matter if the cross on the seal of LA is tiny or humongous. It is the principle of the matter.

Consider this recent action by the ACLU:
Quote:
Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks

June 3, 2004
hxxp://www.aclu.org/ReligiousLiberty/ReligiousLiberty.cfm?ID=15897&c=141

They fight for all religious freedom, it just so happens that Christianity does not need to be fought for as often because they are the dominant religion in the country.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #121
Dutch
"Dutch"

Nobody will ever offend me for burning my flag. But I admit it never feels good to see Americans burn the flag. But I know they don't burn it because they hate America (well, not most of them anyway), they burn it to get on TV to make themselves aware of their little plight in the world.

They burn the flag for their own symbolic political gain. That is pathetic if you ask me, but yeah, I could care less if their is an amendment or not.

However, on the flip-side, I see no reason to oppose an amendment banning the desecration of our flag, either.

At least propose a federal law that states that any citizen that sees an American flag on fire is allowed to use any means neccessary to extinguish the flames (including requesting the fire department to blast the sons of bitches that wish to burn our flag ).

Last edited by Dutch : 06-24-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #122
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You agree that the ACLU is simply acting to preserve our freedom from religious tyranny in these cases?

I agree with what I've read in the link about the Mojave Desert Cross memorial. As for the LA County seal... if they can show it is just historical, then they should be able to keep it. But I can see the reason to sue for removal.

And Mr Bigglesworth is correct. There are plenty of cases where the ACLU defends churches who face state discrimination.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #123
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Jim, I wouldn't worry about JIMG being representative of the majority of people here. You contribute well-thought out arguments to the topics you choose to engage in. I don't necessarily agree with you every time, but I respect the source.

I frequently disagree with Arlie on political issues, but I don't let that affect my decision on whether to buy his products. It's all about the quality of the product he generates.

As for JIMG himself, I do give grudging respect to the fact he's quite honest with what a complete nut job he is. To the extent that he's right - that his side is "winning" - I shudder to think about what that means for the future of this country.

As for Scissors, if this is truly his first post and not and not an alias for another poster here, I don't disagree much with his assessment. If it is an alias for another poster here, what a very, very weak way to attack someone. Not that it matters much, because if it is an alias for someone else here, they'll be banned soon enough.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #124
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I think JIMG is a crackpott in many ways, but he has a sense of intellectual honesty with himself - and he's consistent. That's more than I can say for some of the others around here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:44 PM   #125
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
JW, the ACLU is principled. One such principle is keeping church and state seperate. That, obviously, does not equate to a hatred of church. And being principled, to the organization it doesn't matter if the cross on the seal of LA is tiny or humongous. It is the principle of the matter.

Consider this recent action by the ACLU:

hxxp://www.aclu.org/ReligiousLiberty/ReligiousLiberty.cfm?ID=15897&c=141

They fight for all religious freedom, it just so happens that Christianity does not need to be fought for as often because they are the dominant religion in the country.

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the comments. I think there are principled people within the ACLU. I also think there are Christophobic people in the ACLU, such as Joe Cook of Louisiana. I repeat - he is an anti-Christian bigot. I've heard too much from his mouth to think otherwise. And I will tell you he does the ACLU great harm in Louisiana by his inquisitorial zeal in attempting to eradicate Christianity from the public forum.

I also think that many times the ACLU is overly zealous in its attempt to remove all traces of religion from government. Many in the ACLU, as in the LA city seal case, refuse to acknowledge that Christianity is an important part of America's heritage.

As for the cases cited, I think the Mojave cross case is a classic bit of overkill. There is legalism and there is common sense. Who really -- really -- is offended by a cross put up in the 1930s by some veterans remembering their comrade? Who really -- really -- is harmed by allowing that cross to continue to exist?

And, frankly, who would refuse to concede that Christianity played an important role in the development of Los Angeles, both a positive and negative role, but an important role nevertheless? I believe the ACLU has more important things to do than to attack a tiny cross, one symbol among MANY, in the LA city seal. For example, they might start fighting to force the changing of some of the Christocentric city names in California. But perhaps that is down the road.

Thanks again for your comments, though I cannot agree with you. Yu have only to look at Louisiana to find bigotry and hate in the ACLU.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:51 AM   #126
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm always 12 hours late for these discussions. Anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
In this particular issue, the far right that insists on flags remaining pristine and plastering their Christian god all over our money and schools (their connection, by the way, not mine) has joined the far left that insists that no one ever be offended for any reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonIn MiddleGA
Y'know, you just seem hellbent (pun only mildly intended) on making it impossible for me to have any interesting in buying your future products.
In fact, your recent tact of spouting off your displeasure regarding Christianity has pretty much made it impossible.

Don't like it? Fine, live your life.

But it's really getting to the point of being counter-productive and I've finally tired enough of thinking it just to say it to you point-blank -- you've reached the point of being shrill about it and I suspect you've lost more customers from it than you realize.

Jim: Shrill is probably a fair term. I've read a couple of your posts and said to myself "Wow, why does this guy dislike Christians so much?" (On a tangent - it's probably not really Christians that bother you, but religious people - not the same at all. I often feel much the same way, and I am a Christian) This opinion probably stands out more because A: you seem generally to be conservative, and B: you are an iconic figure here.

Jon: This is a message board. Jim is posting here as an individual, not officially. (Although, see below) If Jim used the official Solecismic site to put forth opinions you didn't like, that would be very different. Example: George R.R. Martin (whose books I love) used his official site to post what I felt were some rather asinine political remarks. Since he chose that particular forum, I have chosen not to purchase any more of his books. In this case, however, I think you have overreacted and should reconsider.

Quote:
This is an issue I've discussed in private many times. Do posts that have "Solecismic" on them stand out so much that I can't really participate here as an individual?

In short, yes. Ideally, most people should understand that in non-FOF-related threads you are posting unofficially. However, going by "Solecismic" does leave room for misinterpretation. Fair or not, some folks probably can't separate you giving a personal opinion from you speaking as the company. Maybe SkyDog would give you an exemption and let you post unofficially under another name so there is no confusion. You usually contribute something useful to the discussion and it would be a shame if you stopped participating because of this.
randal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #127
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
The ACLU? Intellectually honest? I disagree. Their background is anything but, though they do take such cases sometimes for appearances sake. I have heard the head of the ACLU in Louisiana speak several times, and he is about the biggest anti-Christian bigot I have ever met. So I respectfully disagree with you.

Joe Cook is an exception to the rule (and he's really just the executive director).. The rest of the ACLU in that stare aren't anti-Christian bigots. In fact, there are two different chapters in La, one in Shreveport and Joe Cook in New Orleans. The Board is not anti-Christian in the least.

Last edited by Jon : 06-25-2005 at 07:02 AM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #128
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Joe Cook is an exception to the rule (and he's really just the executive director).. The rest of the ACLU in that stare aren't anti-Christian bigots. In fact, there are two different chapters in La, one in Shreveport and Joe Cook in New Orleans. The Board is not anti-Christian in the least.

That is good to hear. Of course I don't hear much about the ACLU in Shreveport, perhaps because they have common sense. And, reading between the lines, apprently you are familiar with Joe Cook. Joe may just be the executive director, but he seems to drive the agenda in south Louisiana. And let me add that there are legitimate concerns about some of the things going on in Tangipahoa Parish relating to imposition of religion in the schools. Joe is not entirely wrong. However, I believe the joy he shows in doing his job and his obvious dislike for Christians does the ACLU a disservice and leads many people like me who agree with him in principle on many -- but not all -- issues, to distance ourselves from him. I honestly believe he hates Christianity and that it shows in his words.

As for the issues, if you are familiar with some of those things, I agree with most of the actions taken by the ACLU in Tangipahoa except attempts to prohibit an opening prayer at school board meetings. They are, after all, an elected body. I think prohibiting ANY speech by an elected official at a public meeting, even a prayer, violates that official's rights. I would suggest that when an elected official is arrested for uttering a prayer in a public meeting of an elected body -- as Joe Cook has demanded -- that we have lost freedom, not gained freedom.

Last edited by JW : 06-25-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #129
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal7
it's probably not really Christians that bother you, but religious people

Great point. I believe in God and while I interpret Jesus different than most Christians, I am still a Christian in ideals.

But my interpretation beyond that is my own and I keep it to myself, I'm no missionary. But those who are the loudest missionaries tend to be offensive. Be it their zeal to promote born-again Christianity or their zeal to promote religious atheism. I view both sides with contempt and mistrust. That's the reality. The seperation of Church and State is interpreted by me as what should be the seperation of Religion and Religious Politics. I'd rather not have my right wing constituants running on a Christian platform and I'd rather not have my left wing opponents running on an atheist platform. But there's a difference between what we would like and what we actually get.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:16 AM   #130
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal7
Jon: This is a message board. Jim is posting here as an individual, not officially. (Although, see below) ...

We probably have to agree to disagree, as I don't believe there's any legitimate reason to separate the actions of a person & the actions of a company when the person owns the company. Who I am privately & who I am professionally is essentially the same person, I don't believe those are (or should be considered) two separate entities. Just a difference in our philosophies I guess.

Now, though, you've forced me into a search

Quote:
George R.R. Martin (whose books I love) used his official site to post what I felt were some rather asinine political remarks.

I loved the old Wild Cards series he put together, but I'll have to see what the commentary was to get a grip on that myself.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:08 PM   #131
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Let me just correct one thing here: I don't dislike Christians or religious people. That's a ludicrous accusation.

I dislike attempts to erase the separation of church and state, as our founding fathers intended (and I will refrain from posting at length quotes that show that intent, in detail).

We are in an unusual time, when legislators are often expected to wear their religion on their sleeves. That makes me uncomfortable, because the result is the occasional piece of legislation that attempts to force religion on the rest of us.

That, I oppose. I think that it's incredibly narrow-minded to assume that I dislike Christians based on that opinion. I have never posted that I dislike religious people. I'm married to one. My father-in-law is a former Christian preacher. I don't dislike them.

I think what's happening is that some people view any non-religious viewpoint as a personal attack. Which is not what's intended.

I'm not going to post under another user name. Ben and I actually discussed this a long time ago, and I decided it was a wimpy thing to do. I don't have respect for people who open a second account because they feel strongly that something needs to be said, but won't say it themselves. So I won't do it myself.

We're in strange times and this is a difficult subject. We have a recent former president (Bush 41) who believes that atheists shouldn't even be considered citizens of America. Obviously, many Christians are extremely sensitive to any non-religious statement.

I think it's pretty clear from reactions like this that the "Solecismic" posts stand out too much. If people read "I hate Christians" from what I wrote yesterday, there's just no way for me to participate here as an equal. So many times, I've been frustrated when what I thought was an ordinary response to an item ended up hijacking the entire thread.

I'd been gauging my participation based on my own reaction to Marc and Arlie's responses to topics - they're not shy about their opinions, and that hasn't changed how I feel about their respective companies in any way. But I guess there's a significant percentage of people here who don't feel that way.

I can't run a business if people feel I hate them just because I make a statement disagreeing with their viewpoint. I will stay out of controversial topics from now on.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #132
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear from reactions like this that the "Solecismic" posts stand out too much. If people read "I hate Christians" from what I wrote yesterday, there's just no way for me to participate here as an equal. So many times, I've been frustrated when what I thought was an ordinary response to an item ended up hijacking the entire thread.
That's not just with you, that is with everyone. Look at how some people attack the ACLU for 'hating Christians'. Whenever I talk about the separation fo church and state someone always accuses me of at least wanting to get rid of Christianity, if not an outright hatred of it. As a broad generalization (i.e., NOT every Christian), Christians have a persecution complex whereby if you disagree with them, you hate Christianity and are a closet Islam supporter. A good number of them can not fathom a religiously nuetral viewpoint, you're either with them or against them. A lot of tiny minority groups are like that, Christians are just unique in that they are the actual majority.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #133
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
you're either with them or against them. A lot of tiny minority groups are like that, Christians are just unique in that they are the actual majority.

Which tiny minority groups are you referring to?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #134
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Let me just correct one thing here: I don't dislike Christians or religious people. That's a ludicrous accusation.

I dislike attempts to erase the separation of church and state, as our founding fathers intended (and I will refrain from posting at length quotes that show that intent, in detail).

We are in an unusual time, when legislators are often expected to wear their religion on their sleeves. That makes me uncomfortable, because the result is the occasional piece of legislation that attempts to force religion on the rest of us.

That, I oppose. I think that it's incredibly narrow-minded to assume that I dislike Christians based on that opinion. I have never posted that I dislike religious people. I'm married to one. My father-in-law is a former Christian preacher. I don't dislike them.

I think what's happening is that some people view any non-religious viewpoint as a personal attack. Which is not what's intended.

I'm not going to post under another user name. Ben and I actually discussed this a long time ago, and I decided it was a wimpy thing to do. I don't have respect for people who open a second account because they feel strongly that something needs to be said, but won't say it themselves. So I won't do it myself.

We're in strange times and this is a difficult subject. We have a recent former president (Bush 41) who believes that atheists shouldn't even be considered citizens of America. Obviously, many Christians are extremely sensitive to any non-religious statement.

I'd been gauging my participation based on my own reaction to Marc and Arlie's responses to topics - they're not shy about their opinions, and that hasn't changed how I feel about their respective companies in any way. But I guess there's a significant percentage of people here who don't feel that way.

I can't run a business if people feel I hate them just because I make a statement disagreeing with their viewpoint. I will stay out of controversial topics from now on.

I think Marc doesnt participate as much as you do, but that's also because he's primarily on another board. As for Arlie, I bet the fact that this board leans fairly strongly to the right means Arlie is fairly mainstream around here. As it stands, I do wish you'd reconsider- I think Jon is fairly singular in his viewpoint and this issue and while I understand his stance (he believes the fueling the 'enemy" is not worth the utility of the game for him), most if not all the others here would not make that distinction - they don't view everyone in that cut and dried a fashion. I'd reckon Bubba, the biggest zealot around here, would probably buy your games unless you put the Star of David on them. Clearly though, its your decision, and if this message board participation cost begins to outweigh its benefits to you the individual, then not participating is the way to go.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #135
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think what's happening is that some people view any non-religious viewpoint as a personal attack.

Bingo. Instead of debating the issues, they resort to calling someone 'anti' something and hope it ends the argument.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #136
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

How I meant that to be taken is that you have sounded that way. What I said could be taken both ways. Sorry. But read what you said: not "I dislike attempts to erase the separation of church and state", but "plastering their Christian god all over our money and schools". You've gotta admit, there is a bit of a tone there .

Quote:

Not my feeling at all, but some will feel that way. My point is that I would not want my business to be percieved as anything but neutral politically, socially, and religiously. Also, don't restrict this to just religious people; see below.

Quote:
'm not going to post under another user name. Ben and I actually discussed this a long time ago, and I decided it was a wimpy thing to do. I don't have respect for people who open a second account because they feel strongly that something needs to be said, but won't say it themselves. So I won't do it myself.

While I understand your point, I hardly think using "Jim Gindin" (sorry if I botched your name) for non-game-related posts (or exclusively, for that matter) is hiding your identity or wimpy.

Quote:

As many non-Christians cannot stand a Christian viewpoint, and many conservatives won't listen to a liberal viewpoint, and many liberals are angered by a conservative viewpoint. Let's not single out one particular group for a facet of human nature.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but I think this is the case. Mark and Arles post under their names, whereas you post under your company name. I think there is inevitably going to be some association with the company and the product. Again, why not just post under your own name?

To summarize: I don't think you hate Christians; I do think you have said things with a tone of "distaste", let's say, that could offend. I personally think you are entitled to your opinion and are not answerable to me for it in any way. As long as you conduct yourself with some level of decorum (and don't use your official site to push potentially controversial opinions) I don't see why anyone would hold that against you as far as buying your products, and don't think they should. But: some people will. And the meat of your market is the folks on this board. Were it my livelihood, I would not want my company name associated with anything controversial.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #137
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Now, though, you've forced me into a search

I loved the old Wild Cards series he put together, but I'll have to see what the commentary was to get a grip on that myself.

After the election he had some remarks on the home page that are no longer there (at least I couldn't find them). Instead of just saying he was really disappointed with the results (or something sane), he posted something to the effect that he was too depressed to write, America was descending into fascism, religious zealots would rule, along those lines. Not so much that it made me mad as that if he's that big of a loon, I'm not giving him my money. (Apologies to other loons with similar viewpoints ) .
Old 06-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #138
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
That's not just with you, that is with everyone. Look at how some people attack the ACLU for 'hating Christians'. Whenever I talk about the separation fo church and state someone always accuses me of at least wanting to get rid of Christianity, if not an outright hatred of it. As a broad generalization (i.e., NOT every Christian), Christians have a persecution complex whereby if you disagree with them, you hate Christianity and are a closet Islam supporter. A good number of them can not fathom a religiously nuetral viewpoint, you're either with them or against them. A lot of tiny minority groups are like that, Christians are just unique in that they are the actual majority.

But you must balance that persecution complex against the 'that offends me so you have to stop it' complex that is becoming more and more prevalent in today's society. It gets tiring to hear that people are offended and traumatized and humiliated, by, for example, a hypothetical school board in a predominately Christian district putting "Christmas Holiday" on its calendar and demanding that it be renamed "Winter Holiday" or something to that effect, when it is obvious that the holiday is being taken because it is Christmas. Why not sue to prevent the system for taking the holiday if the very name of the holiday is an affront? Or is that step two?

Does that really traumatize and offend people? Give me a break. Perhaps if the ACLU and the such focused on more obvious issues rather than sometimes 'going off the deep end' and zealously attacking the most innocuous things, such as the Christmas Holiday, and declaring such things grave affronts to our constitutional liberties, fewer people would think that the ACLU was 'out to get' Christians.

People have even been offended and have sought legal action because someone innocently told them "Merry Christmas" or the such in the workplace. It borders on the absurd sometimes.

In a free society, we will routinely encounter things we don't like. But we can't function if we start litigating over everything we don't like.

I'll add in closing that many people, including on this forum, seem to see the church state-separation issue as black or white, and think everyone else is forever wrong on the subject. But it doesn't work that way.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #139
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does that really traumatize and offend people? Give me a break. Perhaps if the ACLU and the such focused on more obvious issues rather than sometimes 'going off the deep end' and zealously attacking the most innocuous things, such as the Christmas Holiday, and declaring such things grave affronts to our constitutional liberties, fewer people would think that the ACLU was 'out to get' Christians.

And which "obvious" issues is that ACLU not focusing on that it should? AFAIK, they are leading the fight against the PATRIOT Act.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:45 PM   #140
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
But you must balance that persecution complex against the 'that offends me so you have to stop it' complex that is becoming more and more prevalent in today's society. It gets tiring to hear that people are offended and traumatized and humiliated, by, for example, a hypothetical school board in a predominately Christian district putting "Christmas Holiday" on its calendar and demanding that it be renamed "Winter Holiday" or something to that effect, when it is obvious that the holiday is being taken because it is Christmas. Why not sue to prevent the system for taking the holiday if the very name of the holiday is an affront? Or is that step two?

Does that really traumatize and offend people? Give me a break...
What's wrong with putting 'winter holiday' instead of 'Christmas holiday'? Who does that hurt? I agree that people should not be 'offended and traumatized and humilated' by it, but nobody is going to be 'offended and traumatized and humilated' by calling it the 'winter holiday' instead. So why not call it that instead of using potential divisive terms? It's a practical matter to have school off because of Christmas, not a religious matter. Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah (sp?) were made holidays in my local district because there were too many students that just didn't show up on those days. With Christmas though there are several other holidays which deserve to be recognized.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #141
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
What's wrong with putting 'winter holiday' instead of 'Christmas holiday'? Who does that hurt? I agree that people should not be 'offended and traumatized and humilated' by it, but nobody is going to be 'offended and traumatized and humilated' by calling it the 'winter holiday' instead. So why not call it that instead of using potential divisive terms? It's a practical matter to have school off because of Christmas, not a religious matter. Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah (sp?) were made holidays in my local district because there were too many students that just didn't show up on those days. With Christmas though there are several other holidays which deserve to be recognized.

But there, you go, see. Why does it have to be divisive? Why can't we accept honestly that in many school districts, the holiday is being taken because it is Christmas, not because it is some other holiday. Why can't we be realistic about it? I'm a Christian. But if I were in a majority Jewish community, I would not be offended by a Yom Kippur school holiday, nor would I consider it divisive. 'Divisive' is simply a code word, and we are back to scrambling to ensure that we never do anything that offends anyone. Why can't non-Christians simply accept that Christmas is a major holiday in America and go on about their lives?

BTW, the ACLU in Georgia caused at least one school district to change the name of its Christmas holiday to Winter Holiday by threatening a lawsuit. The district caved rather than spending its limited funds to fight the threatened suit.

As for the Jewish holiday you mention, the ACLU has sued in at least one school district to prevent the observance of Jewish holidays, even though the district claims high absenteeism is the reason for the holidays. Link: http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/...y.aspx?id=2437

I think the ACLU can make better use of its finite resources.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #142
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
And which "obvious" issues is that ACLU not focusing on that it should? AFAIK, they are leading the fight against the PATRIOT Act.

Any resources used for less important matters takes resources away from more important matters, such as the Patriot Act.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #143
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW
But there, you go, see. Why does it have to be divisive?
You'll have to ask a Christian why they have to be divisive (again, not ALL Christians), I've never quite understood that myself. A good number of them are intent on sticking their way of life onto other people, and those of us that don't want to live our lives like they do don't like it.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #144
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
You'll have to ask a Christian why they have to be divisive (again, not ALL Christians), I've never quite understood that myself. A good number of them are intent on sticking their way of life onto other people, and those of us that don't want to live our lives like they do don't like it.

Then don't buy any Christmas presents. bah-humbug!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:14 PM   #145
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Then don't buy any Christmas presents. bah-humbug!
I don't. But you seem to imply that the 'Christmas spirit' can only be attained if one is Christian, but it most definitely can be attained by anyone. And I am sure you are well aware that Christmas has hardly any of its intended religious meaning anymore. It's more about Santa than Jesus, and who doesn't love a jolly fat man?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:38 PM   #146
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
and who doesn't love a jolly fat man?

A large majority of 'hot chicks' from what I understand.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:44 PM   #147
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I don't. But you seem to imply that the 'Christmas spirit' can only be attained if one is Christian, but it most definitely can be attained by anyone. And I am sure you are well aware that Christmas has hardly any of its intended religious meaning anymore. It's more about Santa than Jesus, and who doesn't love a jolly fat man?

Agreed, but is it really upsetting people to hear "Merry Christmas" instead of "Merry Winter Holiday"?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #148
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

"'Merican"

We flipped our finger to the king of england
Stole our country from the indians
With god on our side and guns in our hands
We took it for our own
A nation dedicated to liberty
Justice and equality
Does it look that way to you?
It doesn't look that way to me
The sickest joke I know

[Chorus]
Listen up man, I'll tell you who I am
Just another stupid american
You don't wanna listen
You don't wanna understand
So finish up your drink and go home

I come from the land of Ben Franklin
Twain and Poe and Walt Whitman
Otis Redding, Ellington,
The country that I love
But it's a land of the slaves and the ku klux klan
Haymarket riot and the great depression
Joe McCarthy, Vietnam
The sickest joke I know

[Chorus]

I'm proud and ashamed
Every fourth of july
You got to know the truth
Before you say that you got pride

Now the cops got tanks 'cause the kids got guns
Shrinks pushin' pills on everyone
Cancer from the ocean, cancer from the sun
Straight to Hell we go

[Chorus 2x]

---------

I say let the flag burn, if one chooses to do so. But then again, maybe that's because I'm 'The Enemy'.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:01 PM   #149
JeffNights
College Prospect

This is just one mans opinion, that being my own. When i joined the service, the flag took on a very special meaning to me, it represents all those who have sacrificed thier lives so that others may live in freedom.

Now this may be a contridiction, but I want and would love for the Flag Burning Amendment to become law.

When I see people burning the Flag in America out of "protest", I dont care what kind of "cause" they are trying to present, to me all they are doing is spitting and pissing on the graves and memories of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for thier country.

And thats my opinion, I dont try to get too political, thats just how I feel.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #150
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Well, if this does pass, they're basically opening a giant can of worms. Does this mean that anyone 'offended' by a certain thing can move to over-rule the 1st ammendment?

Sure, you may not like it if someone were to burn the US Flag, but if he damn well pleases to do so, and as long as he doesn't physically harm anyone else, why not let him?

We might as well ban strippers from picking up american currency with any part of their body not on their appendages. It makes me queasy.