Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #101
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Read CLOSER.

You need to read CLOSER. Nowhere in that paragraph do I say anything regarding unions or union employees.

Quote:
I do agree with you, up to a certain point. I have no problems with entry level wages and an employee showing that they are worth getting paid more. The part that I have a problem with (and nothing with what you've said) is, the employers who continue to pay good workers minimum wages, yet expect premium work are then shocked if that employee complains about it. As much as managers love to pat themselves on the back, it's the employees in the trenches that are doing the real work. It's that guy that's making 7 dollars an hour and can't go to his son's school performance because he can't get the time off, but the manager making 20 an hour can? Sounds to me like the guy making 20 bucks an hour is less important to the company overall.

I bolded the part you cherry picked.

I don't mention union at all until my 3rd paragraph. Try again chief.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #102
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Then all you ever will be is a minimum wage employee. My father taught me at a very young age no matter what you do try your best, because what you put into it is what you get out of it.

Yes I agree with this. However, there is no guarantee you will be rewarded for that effort. So I think it boils down to how much or how long a person is willing to chase that carrot before moving on.

Quote:
People ( not saying you) seem to think all managment was born into it, like their father in law is the CEO or something, and they sit around all day lighting cigars with $100 bills. Most managers work hard to get where thay are at. Either in that industry or through scholing that provided them oppritunity.

If you are willing to work hard also there isn't any reason you can't rise above minimum wage status.

I do think some people think that management was born into it or lucked into those positions and I'm sure there is some nepotism or cronyism going on as well. A crappy CEO or manager should be thrown out on the streets just as fast as a crappy employee should. It's just easier to get rid of lower level employees in my opinion.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #103
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter
Just read through my entire post and I don't see anything where I said that union workers were making minimum wages.

Quote:
Read CLOSER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter
You need to read CLOSER.

I think I just put my face through my laptop screen.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #104
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've worked plenty of places where trying your best, or going above & beyond while being paid crap wages will only get you labeled as someone willing to work extra hard for crap wages.

I think the concept that you can just work hard and success will follow is sadly kind of a relic these days....at least in cases of massive, globalized and/or unionized workforces, even though the beginnings of those places is where that kind of post-WWII ideal was first born. I hate to say that nowadays, if you're in that kind of low-skill, over-populated workforce you're better served by putting in an absolutely average performance, and hoping to get promoted based on attendance, longevity and/or some flavor of nepotism/politics. Of course there are always exceptions, but if you truly are a hard worker, I think you're best served by just finding a smaller/more private pond in which your efforts will be sure to be noticed.

This discussion reminds me of a friend's story from when he started working at Freightliner, many years ago. He's new on the line, so he figures he better make himself known by working as hard as he can, and piling out as many parts as possible as soon as he hits the floor. So, he's only working for a couple hours before the foreman DOES take notice of him working so hard, and he ambles over and introduces himself, before saying "Whoah son, you're working WAY too fast. See, we've got a quota here, and if we produce over that quota, suddenly THAT's going to be the quota, and everybody's going to have to work as hard as you....and we wouldn't want that, now would we?" That kind of situation is probably the exception rather than the rule, but I do think some milder version of that kind of thinking has worked its way into a lot of the larger, modern American workplaces.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 11-16-2012 at 03:08 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #105
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Does anyone else think Hostess products went to shit a little while back? I used to like Twinkies and cupcakes but they just aren't that good anymore. Obviously cut back on something years ago to save on costs.

Try many of your favorites from your childhood most of the stuff is shit nowadays. Cost cutting has led to crappier ingredients and sacrifice of quality and flavor.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #106
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Try many of your favorites from your childhood most of the stuff is shit nowadays. Cost cutting has led to crappier ingredients and sacrifice of quality and flavor.

That's why all Controllers should be drug out the back and shot...

Modern Marvels had a great show on coffee where they talked about how it is made, and how in the 60s the accountants changed the beans being used, and coffee consumption dropped by something like 50% in the country.

It wasn't until Starbucks came in and started using the Arabica beans again (I could have this backwards), that coffee consumption started rising again here.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #107
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
You need to read CLOSER. Nowhere in that paragraph do I say anything regarding unions or union employees.

I bolded the part you cherry picked.

I don't mention union at all until my 3rd paragraph. Try again chief.

What non-union workers make is irrelevant to this discussion. So, thanks for adding nothing then.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #108
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
What non-union workers make is irrelevant to this discussion. So, thanks for adding nothing then.

Awww, you have no argument or can't just say that you may have misread what I wrote (I hope you're not a teacher), so you resort to even more strawmen comments. That's so cute.

Didn't know you were the king of "Making sure everything stays exactly 100% on topic in every single thread".

Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #109
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
That's why all Controllers should be drug out the back and shot...

Modern Marvels had a great show on coffee where they talked about how it is made, and how in the 60s the accountants changed the beans being used, and coffee consumption dropped by something like 50% in the country.

It wasn't until Starbucks came in and started using the Arabica beans again (I could have this backwards), that coffee consumption started rising again here.

I will need to check that out. For me, if I'm going to splurge on something bad for me, I want it to be good. I'm not wasting my calories on Dominos if I'm going out for a pizza. And I think at some point I decided I'm not wasting those calories on crappy Hostess.

So it makes sense if they cut back on the quality, sales would drop. It's a product you're not consuming all the time and if you're going to splurge and eat something like it, you want it to be worth it.

Now my friend thinks it's all in my head and it's the same. But I swear those cupcakes had the top layer that wasn't hard as a rock and cream that actually tasted good.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #110
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't get the union vs executive griping. It's a free market and both sides were trying to negotiate the best deal possible. The union didn't bankrupt them, they got the best possible deal that they could for their work. Any person on the planet is going to do that regardless of skill.

It's fair to ask if the union dug their heels in too hard and cost themselves nice jobs. But they didn't destroy Hostess, they simply lost themselves their jobs. If a business fails, it's on the people who own it, not the employees who wanted more money.

These things shouldn't be about whether unions are good or bad. Whether they deserved the money or not. It's a private business arrangement between two parties. They couldn't come to an agreement and everyone lost.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #111
molson
General Manager

I'm pretty sure twinkies at least are exactly the same as they were. I used to love those things, and then I hadn't had one in 10+ years until I randomly bought a box a few months ago. Holy shit they were amazing. I could have eaten the whole box right there. Of course, I have the taste preferences of an 8-year old boy. I try to eat healthy, but it doesn't make me happy that I have to.

Last edited by molson : 11-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #112
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I think Twinkies were the only one that didn't have changes to its recipe over time. The exception being the cream filling which changed during WW2 from banana to vanilla.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #113
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I knew the company was in trouble when they switched Ding-Dongs to a plastic wrapper from the foil. Things were never the same.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #114
Drake
assmaster

The fact that the possibility is even on the table that we could have Twinkies made by Bimbo is enough to convince me that we should stop arguing about this and let history run its course.

I would buy stock in Twinkies by Bimbo.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #115
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Wow all the stores around have no twinkies. Shut out! DENIED!

All I got was a box of hohos and some solo packs of zingers.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #116
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, I think Twinkies were the only one that didn't have changes to its recipe over time. The exception being the cream filling which changed during WW2 from banana to vanilla.

Just hearing the words "banana filling" makes me vomit a little. YUK!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #117
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

By the way, if you really want this crap, the Little Debbies "Cloud Cakes" are on the shelf right below where the twinkies were.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #118
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Just hearing the words "banana filling" makes me vomit a little. YUK!

Not if they're Twinkies by Bimbo, then it makes perfect sense and I buy twice as much stock.

TWINKIES by Bimbo **NOW WITH MORE BANANA FILLING**

Last edited by Drake : 11-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #119
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Not if they're Twinkies by Bimbo, then it makes perfect sense and I buy twice as much stock.

TWINKIES by Bimbo **NOW WITH MORE BANANA FILLING**

I can't stop laughing at this.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #120
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

lol, saw twinkies on ebay for $1.5 million. No bids but seriously? Hell, there are some twinkies getting bids of almost $20 a box on ebay. Come on people, there are still plenty on the shelves.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #121
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The fact that the possibility is even on the table that we could have Twinkies made by Bimbo is enough to convince me that we should stop arguing about this and let history run its course.

I would buy stock in Twinkies by Bimbo.

Was talking about this earlier and hit up wikipedia. Didn't realize that Grupo Bimbo is the largest baking company IN THE WORLD.

They own brands like Arnolds, Boboli, Entenman's, Sara Lee, Thomas', etc.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-16-2012 at 09:41 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #122
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What the F is this world coming to? What's next, Frito-Lay going out of business?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #123
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
lol, saw twinkies on ebay for $1.5 million. No bids but seriously? Hell, there are some twinkies getting bids of almost $20 a box on ebay. Come on people, there are still plenty on the shelves.

Not in a lot of places.

Wal-Mart and Target here, sold out.

THE ENTIRE CITY OF MILWAUKEE is sold out of *EVERY* Hostess product except a pack of Ding-Dongs and some of those Donettes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #124
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The funny part is when some other company buys the part of the company responsible for Twinkies and they go back on the shelves. Those ebay buyers are going to be PISSED.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #125
Izulde
Head Coach

Dola, my own raiding efforts

Target
3 boxes of chocolate cupcakes
7 boxes of Ho-Hos

7-11
4 individual regularTwinkie packages
3 individual orange cupcake packages
3 individual chocolate cupcake packages
3 individual Suzy Q packages
3 individual Chocodile packages

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #126
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Was talking about this earlier and hit up wikipedia. Didn't realize that Grupo Bimbo is the largest baking company IN THE WORLD.

They own brands like Arnolds, Boboli, Entenman's, Sara Lee, Thomas', etc.

Wow. This is news to me as well.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #127
chinaski
College Prospect

I dont care about twinkies, but i dont know what ill do without my raspberry filled powdered donuts!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #128
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hostess Zingers Raspberry Iced Cakes Half Eaten by Owner of Rockridge 4WD | eBay

It has 2 bids...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #129
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The funny part is when some other company buys the part of the company responsible for Twinkies and they go back on the shelves. Those ebay buyers are going to be PISSED.

Pissed at being so stupid maybe...But thats about it.
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #130
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Female Student: What's gonna happen to Twinkies and Ding Dongs?
Me: I guess they'll sell what have in inventory and that'll be it.
Female Student: WHAT??? Reagan would bitch-slap those people.
tucking fypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #131
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They really haven't changed or come up with any new products in quite awhile. Not totally shocking really. They should have bagged Suzy-Qs and Cupcakes. Maybe gotten a couple really good variations of hohos, dingdongs and twinkies.

So instead of the hard chocolate outside they could have used orange or cherry too. A different kind of cake make too. Like cherry with chocolate filling.

I think they DID try to make them healthier at one point but I've heard the lite twinkies weren't as tasty.

It's just not a good market anymore in this semi health conscious world.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #132
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

All I know, other than the inability for me to go local to buy cheap food as mentioned earlier, is that this is clearly the final sign that the world will end next month

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #133
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucking fypo View Post
Female Student: What's gonna happen to Twinkies and Ding Dongs?
Me: I guess they'll sell what have in inventory and that'll be it.
Female Student: WHAT??? Reagan would bitch-slap those people.

Ok, this made me smile.

Then it made me envision giant, flying Twinkies.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #134
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Ok, this made me smile.

Then it made me envision giant, flying Twinkies.

and then THAT makes me think of people trying to down the flying twinkies by throwing other twinkies at them
Old 11-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #135
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Agreed 100% although Dolly Madison also makes them

Vanilla Zingers are way better than Twinkies

Dolly Madison is a Hostess Brand
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #136
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Lot of sick people, those hoarding and those eating this crap.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 AM   #137
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
and then THAT makes me think of people trying to down the flying twinkies by throwing other twinkies at them

Surface-to-air Bugles might do it.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #138
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I've worked plenty of places where trying your best, or going above & beyond while being paid crap wages will only get you labeled as someone willing to work extra hard for crap wages.

I think the concept that you can just work hard and success will follow is sadly kind of a relic these days....at least in cases of massive, globalized and/or unionized workforces, even though the beginnings of those places is where that kind of post-WWII ideal was first born. I hate to say that nowadays, if you're in that kind of low-skill, over-populated workforce you're better served by putting in an absolutely average performance, and hoping to get promoted based on attendance, longevity and/or some flavor of nepotism/politics. Of course there are always exceptions, but if you truly are a hard worker, I think you're best served by just finding a smaller/more private pond in which your efforts will be sure to be noticed.

This discussion reminds me of a friend's story from when he started working at Freightliner, many years ago. He's new on the line, so he figures he better make himself known by working as hard as he can, and piling out as many parts as possible as soon as he hits the floor. So, he's only working for a couple hours before the foreman DOES take notice of him working so hard, and he ambles over and introduces himself, before saying "Whoah son, you're working WAY too fast. See, we've got a quota here, and if we produce over that quota, suddenly THAT's going to be the quota, and everybody's going to have to work as hard as you....and we wouldn't want that, now would we?" That kind of situation is probably the exception rather than the rule, but I do think some milder version of that kind of thinking has worked its way into a lot of the larger, modern American workplaces.

This. In my experience, working hard means the other workers pile more work on you as they do less. And if you do angle it into more pay, it is just a matter of time before some spread-sheet watcher in the corporate office lays you off, because they care little about your production and will want to get rid of your higher salary.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #139
mckerney
Coordinator

Every time I see the title of this thread I think it's about sealing the deal with the hot hostess at a restaurant after going out to eat.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #140
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
They really haven't changed or come up with any new products in quite awhile. Not totally shocking really. They should have bagged Suzy-Qs and Cupcakes. Maybe gotten a couple really good variations of hohos, dingdongs and twinkies.

So instead of the hard chocolate outside they could have used orange or cherry too. A different kind of cake make too. Like cherry with chocolate filling.

I think they DID try to make them healthier at one point but I've heard the lite twinkies weren't as tasty.

It's just not a good market anymore in this semi health conscious world.

I never understood how people liked these

Orange just never seemed like a good idea to me
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Orange just never seemed like a good idea to me

Those are pretty much the only Hostess product I'll genuinely miss from a taste standpoint. Twinkies & Ding Dongs, that's nostalgia and history and all, but those orange cupcakes were just the thing for a c-store stop once in a while.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #142
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This. In my experience, working hard means the other workers pile more work on you as they do less. And if you do angle it into more pay, it is just a matter of time before some spread-sheet watcher in the corporate office lays you off, because they care little about your production and will want to get rid of your higher salary.

Whilst the first part of your experience seems plausible. When it comes time to determine who to layoff, my experience has been the opposite. The first time it was last-in/first-out (my bad on that job). The second time, it was a who do we need to keep, who can go. There were people at all levels that got laid-off permanently at that point regardless of salary..

well, except for the contractor/consultants that weren't employees, they all got the axe as they were built-in to the cost-control plan from the get-go.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #143
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I just went on an all day quest for twinkies to re-sell and came up empty sadly
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #144
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Sadly, I think I'll miss the brand Hostess more than any of the actual products. I like the idea of a Twinkie/Ding Dong/Ho Ho, and I think they should always be available, I just don't want to eat any of them. Shortening/creme-filling skeevs me out.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #145
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Certainly nobody has products that sound as filthy.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #146
McLovin
Mascot

E-Bay has a 10ct of Twinkies for a current bid 0f $31 -28 min left

10 ct Twinkies just ended for $106
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #147
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Every time I open this thread I keep thinking -

Yo, Ding Dong man...Ding Dong...Ding Dong, yo!"

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #148
chinaski
College Prospect

Not sure why people dont understand this hype is all a ploy too up the sale value of the company. Hostess isnt going anywhere... they'll sell the company and we'll all have our precious twinkies for another hundred years.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #149
rjolley
College Starter

Loved the orange cupcakes and Suzy-Qs when I was younger. Hated when they changed the recipe for them. Haven't had one in years.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #150
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Following up on something I said earlier in the thread

Don't Worry, Hostess' Top Executives Still Got Richer As Company Collapsed