Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #101
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Good 3rd party games will sell. 3rd parties need to stop shoveling crap at the Wii, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Well even if third-parties do produce more good titles, there is always going to be shovelware. It's part of being the most popular console. The PS1 and PS2 had loads of craptastic games but it's no big deal, just buy the good ones. In addition to the Wii's popularity, Nintendo has no sort of quality control or anything like Sony and Microsoft do with their consoles. As long as the game runs relatively bug-free they'll approve it no matter how bad it is.

I don't know where this "Nintendo has no sort of quality control or anything like Sony and Microsoft" came from. I want you to point me to the Sony and Microsoft quality control. It's just that since the Wii is the dominant console, they get the majority of the shovelware as opposed to the PS2 last generation. Similarly, the NES and PSX led in the "lack of quality control" division. The SNES seemed to have a little bit more restraint (there are still a lot of bad titles, just not the ratios) but that may be just because there was stiffer competition from the Genesis.

Back to the 3rd party meme, again, good games will sell on Nintendo systems. But when you constantly neuter games or don't spend the resources to polish them, they won't sell. Even going back to last gen, SoulCalibur 2 sold the most copies on the Gamecube, more than the PS2 and XBox- it was a good game. Resident Evil 4 sold decently (1.6M) on the Gamecube but did get outsold on the PS2 (2.0M) despite being a timed exclusive- but I think late in the console life with a huge install base difference explains that one. Both RE remakes (RE and 0) sold over 1M copies on the Gamecube as well. Again, put out good 3rd party games, they sell- Activision seems to be doing ok on the Wii with GH. Put out filth and neutered crap and it doesn't sell. Strange how that works.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #102
MJ4H
Coordinator

this this this this this
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #103
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

It's amazing that the Wii has been out for almost two years and third parties have yet to release a good RPG, racing game, or FPS/TPS for a console with a userbase pushing 30 million.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #104
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, Mario Kart is a good racing game, and Metroid Prime 3 is a good FPS (though some would argue it's more like a FPA instead of FPS). Haven't paid much attention to RPGs because I don't like them, but I'm pretty sure you are right about there not being a good one on Wii.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #105
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Not a true RPG, but I really enjoyed Fire Emblem which is a Strategy style RPG game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #106
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Mario Kart, Metroid, and Fire Emblem are all made by Nintendo though. I guess Resident Evil 4 could be considered a third-person shooter but that's about it.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #107
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sorry I missed that you said 3rd party. My mistake.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #108
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mario Kart, Metroid, and Fire Emblem are all made by Nintendo though. I guess Resident Evil 4 could be considered a third-person shooter but that's about it.

I forgot that it wasn't a 3rd party game.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #109
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Tons of new stuff over the weekend. First, it appears that Microsoft won't be the only ones getting the Netflix treatment. The first of several upcoming deals went through to make the upcoming Blu-ray stand-alone players also function as a Netflix rental box.......

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4859007&EDATE=

Rumors are swirling that the upcoming game that Square Enix is to announce this week may be the next new iteration of Kingdom Hearts..........

RUMOR: Kingdom Hearts III to Be Unveiled Soon « GOONL!NE

Certainly not surprising here. Microsoft confirms that they won't be cutting off Gold Live fees anytime soon..........

Microsoft: We won’t scrap Live Gold fees | Gaming Industry | News by MCV

Another confirmation of the upcoming 360 price cuts........

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...e-in-september

More info about the avatar options on the 360..........

Rumor: Avatar customization options discovered - Xbox 360 Fanboy

Finally, several EA games just received a permanent price cut (pulled from Cheap Ass Gamer website)..............

Quote:
Just got into work and printed off the list of today's permanent price drops, and this week a ton of EA published games getting reduced by $10-20.

Burnout Paradise is now only $29.99 (PS3/360). No excuse now people.

Orange Box for the 360 dropped to $29.99. Army of Two is $49.99.

Need for Speed for every platform dropped by ten bucks. Same with Medal of Honor Heroes 2. Few other titles like Boogie, My Sims, and Sims Castaway got a drop too.

08 sports games are now a notch above clearance levels (NHL, Tiger Woods, NBA Live, NCAA March Madness)
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 AM   #110
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Couple of more news notes. A MS developer was murdered by her husband over the weekend in a murder-suicide. She had recently obtained a restraining order (what good do those really do in these type of cases) as she had found out that he had bought a gun.

Quote:
In her request for a protection order, Melissa Batten described how her husband had called her more than 30 times on July 19 and 20 and warned her never to hang up on him. She also described a chain of circumstances that led to the phone calls, including how her husband broke into her workplace at Microsoft on July 16 and was caught by security guards.

Joseph Batten confronted her in a parking lot, shot her several times with a 9-mm handgun and then shot himself in the head, police reported.

Here's a video of her doing a preview for Banjo Kazooie this year........

http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x671n0

The new "Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty" game has a release date set for August 22nd...........

PlayStation.Blog » Set Course for Booty this August
Old 08-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #111
KWhit
Coordinator

Orange Box for $30 is a ridiculous steal.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #112
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

I've heard that Burnout Paradise is also a great value, especially for $30. The developers are still putting out free upgrades on that game. It's great to see developers who support the games going forward rather than using any updates as a revenue grab.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #113
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've heard that Burnout Paradise is also a great value, especially for $30. The developers are still putting out free upgrades on that game. It's great to see developers who support the games going forward rather than using any updates as a revenue grab.

I have Burnout Paradise on the PS3. Good stuff.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #114
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

Drooling over that price!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I have Burnout Paradise on the PS3. Good stuff.

No sooner than I mention their free DLC, I notice this new info on an upcoming free DLC release that will add 15 hours of gameplay to Burnout Paradise.....

MTV Multiplayer » More Wheelies, Less Crashing — How Motorcycles Work In ‘Burnout Paradise’
Old 08-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I almost bought Burnout Paradise for full price when I cancelled my preorder of Madden last week, glad I waited. I'll be picking this up for 30 sometime this week as this game has tempted me several times.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Official Rock Band 2 release dates have been leaked........

Quote:
Xbox 360- September 14th

PS3- October 19th

Wii- November 18th
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #118
Phototropic
Mascot

Does anyone know if the September date will be a game-only release or if it will apply to the bundle as well?
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM   #119
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
The new "Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty" game has a release date set for August 22nd...........

PlayStation.Blog » Set Course for Booty this August

God, if you'd just read the stuff you're linking to, you'd know that the release date is August 21st.

What was left of your credibility is just totally shot now.

(Why, yes, yes I am on the edge of my seat for Quest for Booty. Why do you ask?)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #120
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
God, if you'd just read the stuff you're linking to, you'd know that the release date is August 21st.

What was left of your credibility is just totally shot now.

(Why, yes, yes I am on the edge of my seat for Quest for Booty. Why do you ask?)

Who's not interested in Booty?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #121
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sounds like the latest PS3 firmware is breaking some consoles (not a repeat):

Playstation 3: Users Report Firmware 2.42 Causing PS3 Failure
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #122
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SOCOM: Confrontation pricing announced. Same setup that Warhawk had on release. Nice deal for those that already have a headset...............

Quote:
$59.99 SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
(Bundle Version)

Includes SOCOM Confrontation, a newly designed Bluetooth® Headset for the PLAYSTATION®3 system and exclusive Behind the Scenes videos.

$39.99 SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
(Stand Alone Version)

For all of the people who want SOCOM: Confrontation on a disc. Does not include the headset or the Behind the Scenes videos.

$39.99 SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation on the
PlayStation Network

SOCOM Confrontation downloadable from the PSN without ever leaving you couch. Does not include the headset or the Behind the Scenes videos.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #123
Calis
College Starter

Hearing an awful lot of great things about Braid which was released on XBLA this morning. It looks fantastic. Think I'll be purchasing this one, but I'm trying to get some work done before I do so, but I'm probably going to fail.

Good couple weeks for downloadable games with PixelJunk Eden and then this. They're making up for the slowdown in actual AAA releases.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Good couple weeks for downloadable games with PixelJunk Eden and then this. They're making up for the slowdown in actual AAA releases.

I picked up PixelJunk Monsters and High Velocity Bowling when they were on sale for $5 last week. I was happily surprised with both of them.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:46 PM   #125
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Nintendo has put out a chart comparing third-party software sales on the Wii, 360, and PS3 over the first 19 months each platform has been out, plus some numbers below. (NPD data so USA only, chart is from joystiq.com)

* Wii: 60 million software units total, 56% are third-party units or 33 million (Nov. '06 through June '08)
* Xbox 360: 35 million software units, 84% third-party or 29 million (Nov. '05 through June '07)
* PS3: 25 million software units, 82% third-party or 20 million (Nov. '06 through June '08)

Third party sales on the Wii rise to 62% if you remove Wii Play, which mainly sells due to being bundled with a Wiimote. The 360 still leads in most third party software sold when taking its 12 month head-start into account.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nintendo has put out a chart comparing third-party software sales on the Wii, 360, and PS3 over the first 19 months each platform has been out, plus some numbers below. (NPD data so USA only, chart is from joystiq.com)

* Wii: 60 million software units total, 56% are third-party units or 33 million (Nov. '06 through June '08)
* Xbox 360: 35 million software units, 84% third-party or 29 million (Nov. '05 through June '07)
* PS3: 25 million software units, 82% third-party or 20 million (Nov. '06 through June '08)

Third party sales on the Wii rise to 62% if you remove Wii Play, which mainly sells due to being bundled with a Wiimote. The 360 still leads in most third party software sold when taking its 12 month head-start into account.

Yep, those numbers demonstrate basically what everyone has stated the entire time. The first party titles are dominant on the Wii. Not only that, Nintendo is playing games with numbers as well. It's not surprising that they would give the total sell through rather than the attach rate. The third-party attach rate is abysmal on the Wii when compared to the 360 and PS3.

It should also be noted that the vast majority of the third party sales are from the Sonic Olympics and Guitar Hero games. Those two games are the only third party games in the top 15 in sales. After those two games, there's a significant drop off.

No one would protest that the Wii is selling well as a console, but the third party sales are a concern to third party developers, so Nintendo would be well advised to stop 'whistling through the graveyard' by producing graphs and releases like this and start working on ways to increase those numbers to ease third-party developer concerns.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #127
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep, those numbers demonstrate basically what everyone has stated the entire time. The first party titles are dominant on the Wii. Not only that, Nintendo is playing games with numbers as well. It's not surprising that they would give the total sell through rather than the attach rate. The third-party attach rate is abysmal on the Wii when compared to the 360 and PS3.

Why in the world would developers care about attach rates? If you're EA, why would you care that 1M copies of EAGenericGame24 are sold on 5M Wii or 20M Wii? The 1M copies are what matters not the 20% vs 5% attach rate.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 08-10-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty nice video of Infamous from the E3 gameplay session:

G4 - Infamous Direct-Feed Gameplay
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Why in the world would developers care about attach rates? If you're EA, why would you care that 1M copies of EAGenericGame24 are sold on 5M Wii or 20M Wii? The 1M copies are what matters not the 20% vs 5% attach rate.

SI

You make my point when you mention EA. They're a great company to use for comparison as they publish their titles on virtually all consoles at the same time. Their last financial statement was very telling. The profit margins on Wii games are relatively small when compared to the Wii. The PS3 profit for EA is increasing by leaps and bounds. Here are the profit numbers for EA in the last quarter.

PS3: 139M
360: 81M
PS2: 79M
Wii: 57M

Note that this is not a one quarter trend either. The PS3 profit has increased by 1000% over a year ago. While the Wii can use those numbers to claim victory due to larger installed base, there is going to be a time relatively soon where we see bigger installed bases from the PS3 (likely price cut and emphasis on BR by major retailers this fall) and possibly the 360 (price cuts needed). When that happens, the developers are going to see much bigger profit numbers. Sales aren't everything; profit is where the developers look when deciding what to publish and where.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #130
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Of course, as was mentioned in the other thread, those numbers may reflect distorted reality (with EA knowing it) as many of their games are developed for the 360 and then ported to the PS3. Therefore, the costs of development is likely bringing down those profit numbers for the 360. Since, the Wii versions are developed independantly, same situation there.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 AM   #131
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Of course, as was mentioned in the other thread, those numbers may reflect distorted reality (with EA knowing it) as many of their games are developed for the 360 and then ported to the PS3. Therefore, the costs of development is likely bringing down those profit numbers for the 360. Since, the Wii versions are developed independantly, same situation there.

That doesn't matter in this comparison even if it were found to be true. Toss out the PS3 numbers as that appears to be your major hangup in this issue. Let's use the 360 numbers which you are assuming in your example have major built in costs since it was developed on the 360. They are making more profit on the 360 than the Wii despite the development costs that you assume exist on that console since you're assuming it's the primary development console. It's another argument to spend more time and effort on the PS3/360 game due to the higher profit.

Another flaw in that logic is that the Wii somehow has development costs in it. The Wii versions of the games are a direct port from the PS2 version of the games. The only development cost is to add in the motion control, which is relatively minimal. Also, as several reviewers have noted, the Wii graphics are actually worse than the PS2 version of the game despite being a direct port. The Wii users are actually getting an inferior product.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-10-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #132
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Not only that, Nintendo is playing games with numbers as well. It's not surprising that they would give the total sell through rather than the attach rate.

You have to be kidding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
The third-party attach rate is abysmal on the Wii when compared to the 360 and PS3.

First-party software sales, third-party software sales, and console sales are all "abysmal" on the PS3 compared to the Wii. It does have the 360 to prop it up though.

Quote:
It should also be noted that the vast majority of the third party sales are from the Sonic Olympics and Guitar Hero games. Those two games are the only third party games in the top 15 in sales. After those two games, there's a significant drop off.

It should also be noted your "vast majority" is less than a fifth of overall sales, and not much more than the percentage of PS3 third-party sales that came from GTA4 and COD4.

Quote:
No one would protest that the Wii is selling well as a console, but the third party sales are a concern to third party developers, so Nintendo would be well advised to stop 'whistling through the graveyard' by producing graphs and releases like this and start working on ways to increase those numbers to ease third-party developer concerns.

I'm not sure what else they are supposed to do, the Wii is the worldwide leader in software sales and good (and even not so good) third-party games have been successful. Not to mention, making a Wii game is significantly cheaper than making a game for one of the HD consoles.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
First-party software sales, third-party software sales, and console sales are all "abysmal" on the PS3 compared to the Wii. It does have the 360 to prop it up though.

And you've entirely missed the point. Third party profits on the Wii are significantly less than the 360 and PS3 profits despite selling more games. As long as that continues, the third party developers are going to continue to move to the PS3 and the 360 as they have been in recent months. Nintendo isn't releasing a press release like this because the third party developers are flooding to the system. They're doing it to try to convince third party developers that all is well despite numbers to the contrary.

Quote:
It should also be noted your "vast majority" is less than a fifth of overall sales, and not much more than the percentage of PS3 third-party sales that came from GTA4 and COD4.

Once again, the main argument is totally missed by this comment. The reason those two games were pointed out was because they were the only two games that were not first party games in the top 15 in all-time sales on the Wii. The 360 and PS3 aren't nearly as dependent on first party games. There are several third party games in the top 15 of the PS3/360 charts. Couple that with Nintendo's primary developer saying that he has developed all the big games that he had envisioned for the Wii and one has to be concerned about what will come next on the Wii, especially from Nintendo. Their Wii Music demo didn't impress anyone

Quote:
I'm not sure what else they are supposed to do, the Wii is the worldwide leader in software sales and good (and even not so good) third-party games have been successful. Not to mention, making a Wii game is significantly cheaper than making a game for one of the HD consoles.

The numbers are there for everyone to see. Third party developers have voiced concern in recent months over the relatively low profits and sales figures for third-party games. If Nintendo wants to remedy the situation, they'd be much better off listening to the third-party concerns rather than issuing press releases denying there's a problem.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #134
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
And you've entirely missed the point. Third party profits on the Wii are significantly less than the 360 and PS3 profits despite selling more games. As long as that continues, the third party developers are going to continue to move to the PS3 and the 360 as they have been in recent months. Nintendo isn't releasing a press release like this because the third party developers are flooding to the system. They're doing it to try to convince third party developers that all is well despite numbers to the contrary.

There's more to the games industry than EA's financial statement for three months out of the last year, that you have brought up multiple times when defending the PS3 and seem to base your entire false arguement of "Wii games aren't as profitable" around. And even so, this is what EA's CEO had to say about the matter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Riticello
One thing that's different is we typically figured out who the market leader was going to be before the start of the cycle and bet with our development resources on that platform.

We made the wrong call there (by betting on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360), which made this transition harder than it would otherwise be. But now we're catching up, and I think we're fine. We've got some incredibly innovative Wii titles, [and] incredibly innovative DS titles coming. And so I think that issue's sort of behind us.

Are you suggesting that the Wii has been receiving less third party support in recent months than it was in 2006? Again, you gotta be kidding me.

One other point I'd like to throw out there is that even if third-parties aren't making games for the Wii, they are still competing with Nintendo's first-party titles for software sales, whether in the form of multiconsole owners (a bigger slice of the market than in past generations thanks to the big differences between the Wii and PS360) or people who look at the respective libraries before making a decision to buy a Wii or PS3 or 360.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
There's more to the games industry than EA's financial statement for three months out of the last year, that you have brought up multiple times when defending the PS3 and seem to base your entire false arguement of "Wii games aren't as profitable" around.

Are you suggesting that the Wii has been receiving less third party support in recent months than it was in 2006? Again, you gotta be kidding me.

One other point I'd like to throw out there is that even if third-parties aren't making games for the Wii, they are still competing with Nintendo's first-party titles for software sales, whether in the form of multiconsole owners (a bigger slice of the market than in past generations thanks to the big differences between the Wii and PS360) or people who look at the respective libraries before making a decision to buy a Wii or PS3 or 360.

The presentation of the EA numbers was not in any way to prop up the PS3. That's a straw-man argument. I even mentioned in the reply to EF27 that you could throw out the PS3 numbers and still make the same argument with the 360 numbers. I'd also note that the EA Sports titles on the Wii are not performing well at all, despite the EA CEO's comment. What EA and their CEO fail to realize is that they have to do more than just realize that the Wii could be a gravy train for them. They also have to actually put out a quality game that people want to buy. The latest EA Sports games have been hammered on the Wii thus far and are not doing well at all in regards to sales.

Obviously, your second point regarding third party support is without merit. I never suggested that. Developers can move to the other systems for development while still developing for the Wii. It doesn't decrease games for the Wii, but it does provide more games for the 360/PS3 with more developers looking to release on as many platforms as possible.

On your third point regarding first party software, I also never suggested that there is any competition when factoring in the Wii sales. There's no reason to question anything about hardware sales or first party sales. That is where Nintendo is thriving. That has no bearing on my point at all.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-11-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #136
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Several bits of 360 news today. Lots of info on the new 60 GB version of the 360 that will soon be released. There are a couple of changes from the old 20 GB version of the system......

The Official Site of Benjamin J Heckendorn

Braid developer reveals that Microsoft is changing the XBLA policy to cut the amount of royalties paid to XBLA game developers, which may keep him from releasing any further titles on the system...........

New XBLA deal problematic for Braid developer // News // GamesIndustry.biz

Fable 2 now has a release date of October 21nd.

Loot Ninja » Fable 2 Gets Release Date

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-11-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #137
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Several bits of 360 news today. Lots of info on the new 60 GB version of the 360 that will soon be released. There are a couple of changes from the old 20 GB version of the system......

The Official Site of Benjamin J Heckendorn

Braid developer reveals that Microsoft is changing the XBLA policy to cut the amount of royalties paid to XBLA game developers, which may keep him from releasing any further titles on the system...........

New XBLA deal problematic for Braid developer // News // GamesIndustry.biz

Fable 2 now has a release date of October 2nd.

Loot Ninja » Fable 2 Gets Release Date

Woohoo, Fable 2! And it's October 21.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 08-11-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #138
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Woohoo, Fable 2! And it's October 21.

Thanks. Left out a number.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #139
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like Microsoft will convincingly win a month for the first time this year. The post-MGS4 hangover along with the clearance of the 20 GB Xbox 360's is expected to boost the 360 past the PS3 in July. In other unsurprising news, the Wii sold a lot of units.........

Npd Group: NPD Predicts Mammoth Wii Win in July
Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #140
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Looks like Microsoft will convincingly win a month for the first time this year. The post-MGS4 hangover along with the clearance of the 20 GB Xbox 360's is expected to boost the 360 past the PS3 in July. In other unsurprising news, the Wii sold a lot of units.........

I don't know about the US, but I would expect the 360 to beat the PS3 in UK sales for August thanks heavy in store promotion of the 80gb PS3 and the lack of a price cut for the 40gb machine.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #141
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I don't know about the US, but I would expect the 360 to beat the PS3 in UK sales for August thanks heavy in store promotion of the 80gb PS3 and the lack of a price cut for the 40gb machine.

I can see how the lack of a 40gb price cut would hinder sales, but why would heavy promotion of the 80gb PS3 create slow sales? I think I'm misunderstanding your post.

FWIW....the UK is the strongest of the European 360 markets by a pretty wide margin. The PS3 overall in Europe is roughly even in total sales with the 360.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #142
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pachter discusses the big increase in Wii supply and what the holiday season holds for the Wii.........

Gamasutra - Analysts: 'Hardware Storm' Could See Wii Sales Approach 1M Per Month
Old 08-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #143
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
I can see how the lack of a 40gb price cut would hinder sales, but why would heavy promotion of the 80gb PS3 create slow sales? I think I'm misunderstanding your post.

The heavy in store promotion of the 80gb PS3 is right next to the 40gb PS3 deals. The 80gb promotions have the price clearly displayed, along with the release date at the end of August. Not many people are going to go for a £300 40gb when they can get the 80gb for the same price in three weeks.

I expect UK sales to be down this month, but to jump considerably in September once the 80gb console is released (and retailers are forced to discount 40gb models)
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #144
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Revenue by platform for THQ last quarter:

* 1. Nintendo DS ($27.3 million)
* 2. Nintendo Wii ($23.3 million)
* 3. PC ($23.2 million) * 4. Xbox 360 ($20.1 million)
* 5. PlayStation 2 ($19.9 million)
* 6. PlayStation Portable ($10.4 million)
* 7. PlayStation 3 ($6.7 million)
* 8. Mobile ($5.1 million)
* 9. Game Boy Advance ($1.6 million)
* 10. GameCube ($53,000)

I wonder what GameCube games are still being bought

Source: gameindustry.biz link

--------------------------------

From Capcom's fiscal year 2008 results:

System : # of software sold : # of software titles released

PS2: 3,100,000 (Total Titles:29)
Wii: 2,930,000 (Total Titles:13)
PS3: 1,750,000 (Total Titles:8)
360: 1,620,000 (Total Titles:10)
PSP: 3,150,000 (Total Titles:16, sales are mostly from Monster Hunter in Japan)
DS: 2,400,000 (Total Titles:27)
PC and others: 480,000 (Total Titles:3)

Plans for Major New Titles (FY09)
Resident Evil 5 (X360, PS3) Plan :2.3 mil. units
Street Fighter 4 (X360,PS3) Plan :1.7 mil. units
Bionic Commando (360,PS3) Plan: 1.5 mil. units
Dead Rising Chop Till You Drop (Wii) Plan 0.5 mil. units

Hopefully Capcom announces a PC (more likely) or Wii (less likely) version of RE5, after playing RE4Wii there's no way I'm going back to dual analog sticks for Resident Evil.

Source: Capcom's website

------------------------------------

After two news articles full of numbers, here's one for the lighter side.

"Militant Atheists" moaning about Spore - from Eurogamer.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Wright
"I think our bigger fear was that we didn't want to offend any religious people; but looking at the discussion that unfolded from this thing, what we had was a good, sizeable group of players that we might call militant atheists, and the rest of the players seemed very tolerant, including all of the religious players."

"I didn't expect to hit hot buttons on the atheist side as much; I expected it on the religious side," Wright revealed. "But so far I've had no critical feedback at all from anybody who is religious feeling that we were misrepresenting religion or it was bad to represent religion in the game. It was really the atheists."

I've seen religious people complain about overly violent games, minorities complaining that too many of their race are being gunned down in Resident Evil 5 trailers, or right-wingers on Civilization forums calling the development team communists for putting Stalin and Mao in the game as leaders, but this was a new one for me.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
The heavy in store promotion of the 80gb PS3 is right next to the 40gb PS3 deals. The 80gb promotions have the price clearly displayed, along with the release date at the end of August. Not many people are going to go for a £300 40gb when they can get the 80gb for the same price in three weeks.

I expect UK sales to be down this month, but to jump considerably in September once the 80gb console is released (and retailers are forced to discount 40gb models)

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the Dennis Dyack vs. NeoGaf situation will not end well for Dyack. Early reviews of 'Too Human' haven't been too good and he's getting smacked around by the NeoGaf minions............

Game Informer reviews Too Human. Evilore 1, Dyack 0. Who cares?! We want the BATMAN! - NeoGAF
Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #147
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Probably would have been better received if it had been released 2 generations ago like it was supposed to.

I'm sure Duke Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy will get equally good receptions

SI

Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #148
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A 6.75 in Game Informer for a high-profile, expected to sell well, HD console exclusive is like a 4 or 5 in the "legitimate" gaming press.

GI gave Lair a 7.25 and an 8 for fucks sake
Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #149
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Probably would have been better received if it had been released 2 generations ago like it was supposed to.

I'm sure Duke Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy will get equally good receptions

SI

It goes without saying that he was colossally stupid for going to war on a message board. But it certainly made for good entertainment. His problem going forward is that no one's going to take him seriously on any future projects.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #150
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the new Twisted Metal game for the PS3 will be revealed at the upcoming Leipzig Games Convention.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-183079.aspx

Interestingly enough, MS and Nintendo will not be having press conferences at the convention. I can understand why Nintendo wouldn't bother given that their systems are still selling well, but I'm surprised that MS is not looking to make an impact in the territory that they've deemed critical to the overall success of the 360.