Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #101
RedKingGold
College Starter

There's more information on the site too which gives a pretty good clue on the direction of the game.

Quote:
Imagine Rice, Unitas, Butkus, and Singletary.
In their prime. On the same field.
Maybe even the same team.
Imagine preparing a precision squad of mercenaries—even building your own players.
Imagine football action the way football is really played.
Now imagine the best gridiron game coming back for more.
Imagine Football Resurrected.
This is All Pro Football 2K8.
This summer…the legend returns.

Draft your dream team from football’s legendary players--over 240 of them.
Choose your arena and pump up the fan base to create stadium energy you can feel.
Next Gen Graphics feature thousands of new player animations—games come alive with sweat and steam, rabid fans in the stands and dynamic weather challenges.
2K Broadcasting – A new style combining TV broadcast with on-field commentary to put you closer to the action than ever before.
2K Beats – Kick it off with original soundtracks, mashups and remixes by an all-pro producer with legendary artists (TBA).
Don’t miss the release date! Be sure to get on our mailing list.

Really sounds like it's going to be a one-dimensional game. Too-bad.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 AM   #102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
http://www.footballresurrected.com/games/football2k8/

Their web site has been updated to include the 240 legends that are in the game. Pretty good list - Montana, Marino, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, OJ Simpson (I'm not kidding), etc.

No Deion Sanders though.

I'm a big stickler on the accuracy of uniforms/gear that each player is wearing. Can someone tell me if OJ Simpson has black gloves in the game?????
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:05 AM   #103
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Their web site has been updated to include the 240 legends that are in the game. Pretty good list - Montana, Marino, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, OJ Simpson (I'm not kidding), etc.

No Deion Sanders though.

Neil O'Donnell???

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 AM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

At least they have a good list of legends. IF there is a story mode that progresses over multiple seasons, I could still see getting my money's worth out of this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #105
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm a big stickler on the accuracy of uniforms/gear that each player is wearing. Can someone tell me if OJ Simpson has black gloves in the game?????

Of course not. They don't fit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #106
bob
College Starter

I think the $60 price is too high for this game.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:49 AM   #107
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
At least they have a good list of legends. IF there is a story mode that progresses over multiple seasons, I could still see getting my money's worth out of this.

Pretty sure that I've read there is no multi-season mode in the game. So if this is important, might want to keep an ear out.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #108
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob

No Deion Sanders though.
Neil O'Donnell???

Leon Lett

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #109
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So I look at some of the names, and these stand out to me:

Andre Ware, Eric Martin, Eric Bienemy, Yancey Thigpen, Ernest Givins... actually, the list goes on for me.

I mean, some of these guys were serviceable NFL players. Eric Martin was one of the better receivers in Saints history, and Ernest Givins was pretty good in Houston (he was also a hell of a dancer). Still, when you're talking about NFL legends, all those guys seem pretty out of place.

I can see it now. Yancey Thigpen lined up on one side and Fred Biletnikoff lined up on the other. An NFL legend and an NFL has-been. Boy, I'm so excited about this, and I can also have Mark Rypien be my quarterback!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #110
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yancy Thigpen: "Hello."

2KSports: "Hello, Yancy Thigpen?"

YT: "Yeah."

2K: "Yancy, this is the 2K Sports team. We are making a football video game."

YT: "Like Madden?"

2k: *Pause* "Yeah, like Madden. Anyway, we are going to put a bunch of NFL Legends in the game, so we are calling around trying to find retired legends and getting them to agree to be in the game."

YT: "Retired Legends? So, what, you want me to put you in touch with Mike Webster? That dude is hard to track down. I have his number around here somewhere, but I think that he was living under a bridge or something, so it might not be a good number anymore."

2K: "Um. Yancy, Mike Webster is dead. It was actually kind of tragic. But anyway, you don't understand . . ."

YT: "Mike Webster died? Well that's a sucks donut. So, who are you trying to track down? I got Bradshaw's email, and I'm sure he could get you in touch with Joe Green and all those legends. Man those were some great teams. They just don't make players like that anymore."

2K: "No, Yancy, we want to put you in the game. As one of the legends."

YT: *Pause* "Am I on Punk'd? Cause this isn't really that funny."
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #111
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

ROFL.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #112
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They did a nice job on some of these player faces:

Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #113
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This game will be manna from heaven for those who have been pining to play with an authentic Bernie Kosar ever since he was not included in Tecmo Super Bowl.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #114
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm all about football games that include Barry Sanders.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #115
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quotes from today's press release would seem to indicate that players are going to have some form of signature moves as well, similar to NBA 2k7.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #116
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm joking about this game, but I hope that it works well. I've liked the 2K games better than Madden in the past, and it would be great to have them as a viable option again this year.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #117
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Quotes from today's press release would seem to indicate that players are going to have some form of signature moves as well, similar to NBA 2k7.
Cue the Ernest Givins electric slide!

Edit: Sorry, it was the Electric Glide.

Edit #2: Maybe it was the Electric Slide. Does anyone give a shit at this point except me?

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 04-26-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #118
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

As much as I loved the 2k football games, I don't see much point in this one for me. I've never liked playing with all-star teams, or historical teams, so I doubt I'll enjoy playing with historical all-star teams. I was really kind of hoping for Madden's Superstar mode done right. Put yourself in the game, play through college and hope to get drafted by the American Pro Football League...something like that. I just don't see single-season legends football grabbing that many people.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #119
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
This game will be manna from heaven for those who have been pining to play with an authentic Bernie Kosar ever since he was not included in Tecmo Super Bowl.

w00t
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #120
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They did a nice job on some of these player faces:

For someone nicknamed Joe Cool, that haircut is terrible. It looks like one that parents give their 5 year old so they don't have to pay for a cut.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #121
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So I look at some of the names, and these stand out to me:

Andre Ware, Eric Martin, Eric Bienemy, Yancey Thigpen, Ernest Givins... actually, the list goes on for me.

I mean, some of these guys were serviceable NFL players. Eric Martin was one of the better receivers in Saints history, and Ernest Givins was pretty good in Houston (he was also a hell of a dancer). Still, when you're talking about NFL legends, all those guys seem pretty out of place.

I can see it now. Yancey Thigpen lined up on one side and Fred Biletnikoff lined up on the other. An NFL legend and an NFL has-been. Boy, I'm so excited about this, and I can also have Mark Rypien be my quarterback!

The explanation i read on this was that if you included 'only' the legends, you'd be playing AllPro teams vs. AllPro teams on Madden. Basically teams with no weaknesses. Supposedly throwing in some 'serviceable' guys will help the gameplay. In other words, Walter Payton will stand out a bit mroe running some C level linebacker as opposed to getting crushed constantly by Butkus.

Still, no franchise mode = no game for me. I don't see the point.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #122
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
The explanation i read on this was that if you included 'only' the legends, you'd be playing AllPro teams vs. AllPro teams on Madden. Basically teams with no weaknesses. Supposedly throwing in some 'serviceable' guys will help the gameplay. In other words, Walter Payton will stand out a bit mroe running some C level linebacker as opposed to getting crushed constantly by Butkus.

Still, no franchise mode = no game for me. I don't see the point.
Well, that makes sense to me, but it still comes out looking a bit silly to me. I can't believe Yancey Thigpen and Eric Bienemy are going to make money off of this game. Good for them, but it does seem goofy.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #123
moriarty
College Starter

Agreed, I would have preferred a 100% fictional game, customizable, with a solid franchise mode. That way I could create my own legends league if I so desired.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #124
Kodos
Resident Alien

I like playing with classic players. But it needs a franchise mode...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #125
Ironhead
College Prospect

Awesome, they have Jessie "The Hammer" Tuggle on there.

Luckily (?) I don't have a next gen console so I can someone avoid the hype on this.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #126
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yancy Thigpen: "Hello."

I just want to point out that I started laughing at this line, and the rest didn't disappoint.

Agree on Montana looking like a freak. And when did Elway start roiding?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #127
Groundhog
Coordinator

If they slouch on the realism and make this more arcadey it might be a good multiplayer game, but I can't see why you'd really want to play vs the computer with no franchise mode.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #128
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
As much as I loved the 2k football games, I don't see much point in this one for me. I've never liked playing with all-star teams, or historical teams, so I doubt I'll enjoy playing with historical all-star teams. I was really kind of hoping for Madden's Superstar mode done right. Put yourself in the game, play through college and hope to get drafted by the American Pro Football League...something like that. I just don't see single-season legends football grabbing that many people.

That's pretty much my feelings as well.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #129
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

albionmoonlight, I just want to add that I thought the Thigpen conversation was hilarious. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #130
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the Legends hook is fine, as there are definitely some guys out who love legends (me for instance), but they need to combine that with a highly customizable game that has a franchise mode.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #131
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Can someone explain to me how a football game populated with legends even makes sense with a franchise mode? Are all of the legends going to enter the league as rookies, or will they be in the game in their prime? Does any financial model make sense with legends? I just don't see how legends and franchise go together.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #132
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Can someone explain to me how a football game populated with legends even makes sense with a franchise mode? Are all of the legends going to enter the league as rookies, or will they be in the game in their prime? Does any financial model make sense with legends? I just don't see how legends and franchise go together.

You're absolutely right, which is why I probably will not buy the game. Given a choice between playing a single season with "legends"and former All-Pro players and having longer replayability with a franchise mode, I choose the latter.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #133
Kodos
Resident Alien

You could just have the legends staggered. Each year, a certain number are in the draft class, in an order that roughly approximates their order in real life. I'd imagine you would compress time a bit, so that people wouldn't have to play 40 seasons to get to all the players.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You could just have the legends staggered. Each year, a certain number are in the draft class, in an order that roughly approximates their order in real life. I'd imagine you would compress time a bit, so that people wouldn't have to play 40 seasons to get to all the players.

Yeah, my vision would be to have a starter roster with several "Older" legends spread out amongst the teams, and then to have a bunch of fictional players. And then to have several "Real" guys available in future drafts. Figure if there's a 20 team league, you can maybe put 10 real guys on each team, and then have 10 more blue chippers randomly appear each year in the draft. People don't really play 10 seasons out anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #135
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

There's a fantasy draft to start things. You could have a salary cap which restricts whom you draft in later rounds, or forces you to cut prior to the 1st game. I'm not sure how you'd stagger contracts so they wouldn't all come due at the same time (mabye 1st rounders 5 year, 2nd round 4 year, etc..).

The bigger problem you'll have is with only 240 players, how do you add new players handle injuries/retirements? You'd need some sort of player generation or regen (perhaps ala Winning Eleven) which it doesn't sound like they have.

That's why I'd prefer to have a customizable fictional league (maybe with some 'legendary' facial models). That way you could spend the time creating a legends league if you want, but could still play year after year franchise mode.

By the way, with a 40 man roster the 240 legends will give you a whopping 6 teams. If they're not adding any fictional players, you're not even going to have much variety in the teams you do play with.

Last edited by moriarty : 04-27-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #136
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I totally get the completely customizable fictional league with franchise mode. I also get the single-season legend game (not that it would interest me). I just don't get people wanting to combine the two.

If I had the resources to make a game and couldn't use the NFL license, I'd either go with a customizable NFL-like game, or a RPG-type game that follows an individual...or possibly a combination of the two.

Combining legends and a multi-year franchise model seems like it would always look half-assed no matter how it was done.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #137
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My guess is that there is going to be a story based mode in this game, where you create a rookie, and try to work him up to "legendary" status over many years. However, I agree with others that I just don't see how the legends already being in the game and a multi year game are going to work unless no one else ages.

Also, unless they have a very small number of teams, it would seem there will have to be generic players as well. I'm suspecting that each team will have a "point" cap and will only have 3-5 legends max.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #138
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
I totally get the completely customizable fictional league with franchise mode. I also get the single-season legend game (not that it would interest me). I just don't get people wanting to combine the two.

If I had the resources to make a game and couldn't use the NFL license, I'd either go with a customizable NFL-like game, or a RPG-type game that follows an individual...or possibly a combination of the two.

Combining legends and a multi-year franchise model seems like it would always look half-assed no matter how it was done.

Agree on the questionable design decisions. But I still think legends/franchise is better than providing legends and NO franchise model.

I enjoy the winning eleven series which doesn't have legends per se, but does have some real players (and ability to make real player sets) with a simplified regen model. It works for me, and could have been an easy model to follow IMO.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #139
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't think there is any question that there will have to be a certain number of fictional filler players to fill out the league. Nobody wants a football game with only 10 teams.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #140
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I don't think there is any question that there will have to be a certain number of fictional filler players to fill out the league. Nobody wants a football game with only 10 teams.

This could be why the "legends" contain some pretty average players. Filling the league with decent retired players seems to make more sense than adding fictional players. Fictional players would make it feel like tossing the legends into a semi-pro league.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #141
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not a huge fan of historical players and think 2K should have gone for a more fictional approach. I think if the atmosphere is creative, the gameplay is great, you can actually build up fictional players to a level of video game popularity. How many of us still remember some of the players on Baseball Stars?

My suggestion would be to put in 30 or so cities with unique stadiums. It seems like they've gone overboard with atmosphere and making sure each stadium and crowd is unique (which is good). I'd build a solid pool of players, but also make your stars have unique traits and names.

The key to a non-licensed game is to get everything in that the NFL won't allow you. From relocation, new stadiums, late hits, realistic injuries, off-field incidents and so on. Put agents in the game that are like the real ones with different personalities. Allow people to build their own city/team with the option to customize every inch of the stadium and field.

But the key to making a game like this succesful, is ONLINE LEAGUES. If you allow 20 people to build up their own city, stadium, and so on. Throw them in an online draft, and then allow them play an online league, you will simply kill a portion of EA. People have been clamoring for online leagues, EA doesn't really care about its fan base, and the ability to completely customize your team and stadium would allow for some unique leagues with unique characters.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:45 PM   #142
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
But the key to making a game like this succesful, is ONLINE LEAGUES. If you allow 20 people to build up their own city, stadium, and so on. Throw them in an online draft, and then allow them play an online league, you will simply kill a portion of EA. People have been clamoring for online leagues, EA doesn't really care about its fan base, and the ability to completely customize your team and stadium would allow for some unique leagues with unique characters.

I must be losing track with the rest of the gaming world, because the last thing I would be interested in a football game is an online league. A good number of people who play online are childish people who cheat and/or have no clue how to play football in a realistic style.

I'm just one of those few people who can't stand playing online. It might be I've just not had good luck with the people I've been playing with, but give me good gameplay and a good franchise any time over online play.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #143
Kodos
Resident Alien

Also, it is near impossible to get people to play their games in a timely fashion, especially if their team isn't doing well in the standings.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #144
SFL Cat
College Starter

I remember when 2K first came out for the Dreamcast. I was in a store (Best Buy maybe), saw a demo game running on the monitor from a distance and, at first, thought it was a real game. I was thinking "since when do they play NFL games on Wednesday night?"
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM   #145
Travis
Pro Rookie

Too bad they didn't get Moon for this game, looks like they have quite a few members of the Run and Shoot offense in the game, that would have made for some fun and a much more tempting buy, at least for me.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #146
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Warren Moon has been announced as being in the game. (I suspect he was a late addition since he is at the bottom of most lists.) Also, this makes me believe they may still be in negotiation to add more legends.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-27-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #147
Travis
Pro Rookie

Ah, awesome, didn't see his name on the site when I was cruising through it.

I just hope this game is worth buying as I'm very likely to shell out on it to help there at least be some competition for Madden, even if it's sorely lacking in features this year.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #148
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I just hope this game is worth buying as I'm very likely to shell out on it to help there at least be some competition for Madden, even if it's sorely lacking in features this year.

Ditto that. I pre-ordered during my lunch break. I've decided to get it to support the idea of competition in the genre. I'm just hoping it actually is a good game worth the money as well.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #149
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

A new preview is up. Not much info, but apparently you will be able to edit team names, what city they play in, and a few other small things. No word if you will be able to edit players at all. Also, teams will include a blend of legends and fictional pros. They also reiterated that the game will include a season mode, but no franchise mode.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/784/784922p1.html
Old 05-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #150
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
A new preview is up. Not much info, but apparently you will be able to edit team names, what city they play in, and a few other small things. No word if you will be able to edit players at all. Also, teams will include a blend of legends and fictional pros. They also reiterated that the game will include a season mode, but no franchise mode.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/784/784922p1.html

Thanks for the link, good info.

This is a near-certain no buy for me. No franchise, and no in-season development equals no reason for me to buy it. I couldn't care less about online gameplay or legends.