Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #101
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

one other thing. I would like to see the categories of player ratings in TCY updated to match the ones in FOF2k4.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #102
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Ahhh...one thing on recruiting:

There doesn't seem to be a wide enough delta between the recruiting points that a top-flight team has and the recruiting points of an SC8 team. It just seems that there should be a wider gulf there.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #103
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but - please, please, please do not make positions in TCY2 have the granularity of FOF5. If I have to recruit a WLB or RT, I will barf
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #104
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but - please, please, please do not make positions in TCY2 have the granularity of FOF5. If I have to recruit a WLB or RT, I will barf

Agreed - if anything, positions in recruiting should be less specific. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think some recruits should have multiple position possibilities - perhaps have an option for some recruits showing other potential positions and their scouting report for that position as well.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #105
Klinglerware
College Starter

I know that adding the position of "Athlete" to address players who can play multiple positions has been mentioned before. That's a pretty good idea. But how about adding an "Athleticism" rating to a player's rating set? This way you can better tell which players are more likely to adapt to a position change. For example, a QB with a high Athleticism rating would be more likely to do well at WR or S (like in real life). It could be done to keep it in bounds with the old system: i.e., players should only do well in a shift to another position if he fits a relatively ideal size requirement at the new position relative to the old (such as TE to DL). Anyway, if all players had this athletic rating, this would be great for identifying with multiple position potential for all players, for example we could find more players who could adapt to play DL or OL (which is common in real life)...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #106
Ben E Lou

Well, this should go without saying, but just to put it out there:

Career Statistics, and ability to view all player cards in universe history like FOF2K4.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:32 PM   #107
Ben E Lou

Dola--

But that might be something that you'd want to let the user toggle on and off, in order to save processor time and HD space. We'd be dealing with almost 4 times as many teams as FOF2K4, and a good bit more players because of the universe turning over every five years.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:30 AM   #108
Ben E Lou

Use the calpreps.com national rankings (just about every single high school in the country is in there) to determine "athletic preparation" ratings. This could be a toggle for those who don't care ("randomize high school prestiges"). It bugs me to see Top 100 players come from high schools that have stunk in football for more than a decade, and to rarely/never see recruits from the big-time high school programs because they're randomized with every gamestart.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:08 PM   #109
Ben E Lou

Looking at the most recent recruiting classes of a few top-tier teams, it appears that this could stand a tweak...

Georgia's class....

Recruiting

NamePosHtWtHome State
Blake BarnesQB6'3"218Mississippi
A.J. BryantQB6'2"185Georgia
Danny WareRB6'1"210Georgia
Kenneth HarrisWR6'3"196North Carolina
Antonio SimsDB6'0"177Georgia
Ramarcus BrownDB5'11"162Georgia
Kelin JohnsonDB6'1"180Florida
Demiko GoodmanWR6'2"180Georgia
Brannan SoutherlandFB6'0"210Georgia
Jeremy LomaxDE6'4"203Georgia
Seth WattsOG6'4"300Georgia
Charles JohnsonDE6'2"237Georgia
Chester AdamsOT6'4"317Alabama
Thomas BrownRB5'8"177Georgia
Brandon LangDE6'4"205Georgia
Michael GrantDB5'10"189Georgia
Josh JohnsonLB6'2"225Georgia
Dannell EllerbeLB6'2"196North Carolina
Jamar BryantWR6'2"195North Carolina
Brandon MillerATH6'4"225Georgia

LSU's class:
NamePosHtWtHome State
Charles AlexanderDE6'3"266Louisiana
Harry ColemanLB6'2"205Louisiana
Early DoucetWR6'1"207Louisiana
Marlon FavoriteDT6'3"310Louisiana
Jacob HesterRB6'0"240Louisiana
Brett HelmsOL6'3"300Arkansas
Lavelle HawkinsWR5'11"165California
Chevis JacksonWR6'1"180Alabama
Herman JohnsonOL6'8"350Texas
Ryan MillerOL6'6"310Louisiana
Luke SandersLB6'4"219Louisiana
Craig SteltzDB6'2"200Louisiana
Mario StevensonDB6'2"195Mississippi
Matt StoltzLB6'3"230Arkansas
Claude WrotenDT6'3"315Mississippi
P.J. ZimmermanOL6'4"220Louisiana
Tim WashingtonDE6'4"240Texas
Herman JohnsonOL6'6"360Texas
Tyson JacksonOL6'7"270Louisiana
Tremaine JohnsonDE6'3"258Texas
Jeffery JackCB5'10"171Texas
Curtis TaylorS6'3"185Louisiana
Mit ColeTE6'5"245Mississippi
Xavier CarterWR6'3"195Florida
Quinn JohnsonLB6'3"225Louisiana
Glenn DorseyDT6'4"285Louisiana
Max HolmesOL6'4"275Louisiana
Luke SandersLB6'5"227Louisiana
Jeremy JonesTE6'4"280Louisiana
E.J. KualeLB6'2"225Florida
Ali HighsmithLB6'1"225Florida

Oklahoma:
NamePosHtWtHome State
Chijioke OnyenegechaDB6'2"205California
Adrian PetersonRB6'2"210Texas
Remi AyodeleDT6'3"280Oklahoma
Brandon BraxtonOL6'7"300Ohio
Marcus WalkerCB5'11"185Texas
Lendy HolmesWR6'2"180Texas
Quentin ChaneyWR6'6"203Oklahoma
Chris PattersonLB6'2"220Illinois
Alan DavisDE6'2"240Texas
Rhett BomarQB6'2"195Texas
Garrett HartleyK5'9"176Texas
Fred StrongWR6'2"190Texas
Randy McAdamsOL6'7"300Texas
Corey BennettDE6'3"257Texas
Brett BowersS6'1"186Florida
James QuinnOL6'3"275Texas
D.J. WolfeRB6'0"195Oklahoma
Cameron SchachtOL6'5"275Texas

USC:

NamePosHtWtHome State
Jeff ByersOL6'4"280Colorado
Rocky HindsQB6'4"215California
Eugene GermanyDE6'2"248California
Dwayne JarrettATH6'5"205New Jersey
Fred DavisWR6'4"210Ohio
Thomas HerringOL6'6"292California
Taitusi LutuiOL6'5"370Utah
Jimmy MillerDE6'5"240California
Josh PinkardDB6'2"200California
Ryan PowdrellLB6'1"250California
Chilo RachalOL6'6"310California
Keith RiversLB6'3"215Florida
Jeff Schweiger Jr.DE6'5"245California
Michael StuartATH6'4"220California
Dale ThompsonTE6'4"240California
Scott WareDB6'2"220California
Alatini MaluOL6'5"310California
Derrick JonesWR6'2"180California
Lawrence MilesDL6'3"270California
Travis DraperOT6'5"265California

Ohio State:

NamePosHtWtHome State
Devon LyonsS6'3"205Pennsylvania
Curtis TerryLB6'3"205Ohio
Dennis KennedyCB5'11"180Florida
Albert DukesWR6'1"184Florida
Nader AbdallahDT6'5"300Louisiana
Kyle MitchumOL6'4"265Pennsylvania
Nick PattersonS6'2"200Missouri
Vernon GholstonDE6'3"235Michigan
Alex BarrowDE6'4"245Ohio
Ted GinnCB6'1"165Ohio
Rory NicolTE6'5"250Pennsylvania
Brandon SmithLB6'2"235Ohio
Dionte' JohnsonRB5'11"235Ohio
Marcus FreemanLB6'2"232Ohio
Erik HawRB5'11"210Ohio
Jon SkinnerOL6'5"285Pennsylvania
Steve RehringOL6'8"320Ohio
Sirjo WelchS6'0"185Ohio
Chad HooblerTE6'5"220Ohio
Ben PersonOL6'4"295Ohio
Shaun LaneCB5'10"170Ohio
Todd BoeckmanQB6'5"235Ohio

It appears that even the top-tier programs are signing players primarily from quite close to home, with only a small handful of "national" recruits. These five national powers only signed a total of 19 players who weren't either in-state or from a bordering state--and only 9 who weren't from the same general region of the country.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:16 PM   #110
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I would still go with my major suggestion of re-doing the Visit Costs algorithm in making it $/mile from where you are recruiting currently to where you want to go instead of the illogical regional-based visit costs. That way, when Georgia went to Mississippi to recruit Barnes, it would not have cost much more to then hop over to Louisiana and then into the fertile grounds of Texas. It makes much more sense to have it cost far less to go from Biloxi to New Orleans (if I got my regions right) than from Biloxi to Raleigh (in the game, it does not). That would encourage more national recruits as in real life (like John Carroll taking a week-long recruiting trip to Florida and Georgia).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:48 AM   #111
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I would love to see the polls updated. I think NCAA 200X does it best, as the moves up and down are very realistic. At the beginning of a TCY season, teams tend to jump around too much.

Also, I'd love to see a little window showing Top 25 scores as well as a list of Top 25 performances last week and their upcoming schedule.

Leave the sim engine alone - it's perfect - well, almost. Just add window dressing to the game, and few new features and fix a few non-engine problems and he'd have my $35 same day.

TCY continues to be the game of choice for me. Having to deal with salary caps (and the inevitable 8-8 seasons that come from it) and the fact that great players are signed for cheap one year contracts in FOF have soured me on it.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:49 AM   #112
bhlloy
Coordinator

A few random thoughts that may have been already covered:

Academics: Agree that it needs to be toned down a lot, need to cut the number of 3.50+ GPA guys and the number of top recruits that will choose based solely on academics (will choose a Sol 8 program over a top 10 program) This makes it way too easy to build a top program through academics only.
One possible solution: take out the study hall time management (or at least tone it down as in FBCB) Is it really realistic that a coach can force a player to spend x hours of their own time studying, and even if it is, is it realistic that it should have such a huge effect on his grades? A guy with an 800 SAT score should never be able to get a 3.7 GPA even if I put him in the "study hall" for 40 hours a week. What is more realistic is he will duck out of it and become resentful and unhappy and his grades won't change much.

Academic Suspensions: Need to have a bigger part in the game. There should be a real problem with me recruiting a guy with a low SAT score, instead of currently having maybe one player suspended a year. Plus there should be an option as in FBCB for a player I have recruited not to qualify.

Recruiting: Has to be some way to ensure that bigger schools do a better job, too many top 100 players rely solely on distance or academics and this leads to them going to smaller schools. To follow on from SkyDogs post above, it seems schools don't do a good enough job of recruiting out of state or area (or maybe they just can't get those players to come to them) Would like to see idolised school's stay in as they are realistic, but maybe not as the be all, end all. Somebody who grew up watching Miami of Ohio might still consider a full scholarship from Ohio State for it's obvious benefits. And it would be nice if an entire state didn't seem to idolise one team in some cases.

Positions: Need to be much more scope for changing positions, especially just after recruitment or in a redshirt year. Why can't a 280 pound lineman make the shift to D-tackle in his first training camp, especially as I assume he played both ways in high school? His red bars maybe should take a hit but his potential skills shouldn't as at this point his skill set should be all raw skills (strength, mobility etc...) and not position specific. Not sure if I explained that like I wanted. After a couple of seasons, the recruit has learned to be a college lineman and it should be harder to change his position.

Training Camp: Needs to be in. A huge part of real life that isn't modelled in the game at all. I like how players improve in season, but needs to be toned down and have a large part of player development in the offseason. Can then add more options for me to control the development of my players instead of the generic "weight training" and "football study". If I want that DE to concentrate on bulking up and improving as a force against the run, I should be able to instead of having no control over what kind of player he becomes. This ties in with the point above, as maybe position changes can only be done in training camp.

I'm sure I have more but that's all I can think of for now. I'd like to add that TCY is by far my favourite sports sim and it's even outlasted CM and FBCB as the only game I am still playing
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:15 PM   #113
Ben E Lou

Bump for Daddy Torgo...
Old 08-23-2004, 01:46 PM   #114
druez
Banned

I would like a radio style pbp. Where the play devlops as the action is going on. Right now the results are displayed with no buildup. I would rather see something like, the QB hikes the ball and drops back....
Flushed out of the pocket...
Evades a tackler and throws deep to the WR (insert names instead of positions)
CB brakes on the ball and bats it to the ground....

2nd and 10

you get the point.

Oh and can I get some sound in the PBP
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #115
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
I would like a radio style pbp. Where the play devlops as the action is going on. Right now the results are displayed with no buildup. I would rather see something like, the QB hikes the ball and drops back....
Flushed out of the pocket...
Evades a tackler and throws deep to the WR (insert names instead of positions)
CB brakes on the ball and bats it to the ground....

2nd and 10

you get the point.

Oh and can I get some sound in the PBP
There's play-by-play in TCY???
Old 08-23-2004, 01:50 PM   #116
druez
Banned

Some of us like PBP skydog Especially if it was done in a more dynamic way.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #117
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
Some of us like PBP skydog Especially if it was done in a more dynamic way.
I know. It was an honest question, though. The game has been out for so long, and since it is a feature that I would never use anyway other than when fooling around with the demo, I honestly wasn't sure if it was even in there.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #118
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

i want it by next week..........other then that every thing else has been said pretty much
Old 09-06-2004, 11:10 AM   #119
Ben E Lou

Just so everyone knows, this thread is now linked in the reference sticky, as is a thread for FOF6.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #120
Ben E Lou

Sticky...
Old 09-07-2004, 05:54 AM   #121
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

I covered my suggestions in another thread, but I'll copy my response here for convenience:

I enjoyed TCY for awhile, but three things turned me off from it:

1) The lack of difference in resources between the smallest and largest schools made it too easy, IMO, for the small schools to maintain and/or progress in the rankings.
2) There were too many relatively smart recruits and too many recruits that chose schools for their academic benefits.
3) The concept of time allocation as implemented in the game is, IMO, unrealistic, and the allocation screen is an abomination.

If Jim were to fix those things, I would be first in line to buy TCY2. I'm not holding my breath.

The addition of features from past and current versions of FOF would help others more than me - e.g., playcalling, multiplayer, addtional ratings, more complex game planning.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #122
Ben E Lou

OK. This has been up for a week now. I'm unstickying it. To find this in the future, check the top of the reference thread.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:58 AM   #123
Ben E Lou

I don't recall reading this in this thread, but how about the option for a post-Bowl, two-to-eight team playoff structure. I find myself almost exclusively using the Bowl system, due to the realism, but as I've thought about it, I'd really enjoy having playoffs after the Bowls.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:12 AM   #124
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd like a little pre-season write-up on the teams...nothing fancy.

Something like:

Last years Offensive YPG: 378.6
Offensive Starters Returning: 8
Key Returnees: QB Joe Blough (2889 passing yards, 14 TDs, 3 Int)

and the same for defense...

Would lend itself to some preseason hype as well as a level set going into each successive year.
how do you know?

Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #125
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I'd like a little pre-season write-up on the teams...nothing fancy.

Something like:

Last years Offensive YPG: 378.6
Offensive Starters Returning: 8
Key Returnees: QB Joe Blough (2889 passing yards, 14 TDs, 3 Int)

and the same for defense...

Would lend itself to some preseason hype as well as a level set going into each successive year.
Drool...

Further in that vein, a preseason conference predicted order of finish...
Old 11-18-2004, 09:25 PM   #126
Ben E Lou

Seemed like a logical time to bump this thread and remind everyone that you can get to it from the top of the reference thread. Since we now know that there are several months of coding left before this, or another game comes out, the time is now to give good front-end input on ideas for big changes/upgrades.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:47 PM   #127
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I know I've already posted a lengthy suggestion list, but after firing it up again recently as well as doing a lot of sim-only with NCAA 2005, I'm finding a lot of things that I think Jim could improve on in a TCY2. One thing I'd like to see as an over-arching theme to revising TCY would be to make it even more of a coaching RPG. Some ideas:

Coaching
Overall, I'd like to see this area revised to be more like an RPG. What I mean by this is logical movement, head coaches aging similar to their assistants (and with the resulting effects on their ability ratings), retirements, some coaches leaving for 'professional' football, a shift in the staff from just the offensive and defensive coordinators and a bunch of regional scouts to a true coaching staff, with job progression a possibility (QB coach moving up to OC, OC moving on to another school as HC, etc).

Coaching staff - I'd like to see the current system of the staff consisting of an OC, DC and 8 regional scouts revised; change the scouts into assistant coaches - one each for QB's, RB's, WR/TE's, OL, DL, LB's, Secondary (CB & S) and Special Teams (including K & P).

Every assistant has ratings for each of the position groups, which indicate their areas of expertise - maybe some guys are just QB gurus and don't know squat about any other area, maybe some guys are more generalized and can effectively coach a number of different position groups. This rating would affect how well they can develop players in that position group. This would also be affected by length of time they've been coaching that group - if you're in your first season at a new position group, you take, say, a 50% penalty on your coaching effectiveness, which would go away to no penalty after say 3 or 4 years, and a gradual bonus to your ability for each year after that (this would promote/reward staff stability).

Each coach would also need to be manually assigned to one of the 8 recruiting regions. Every assistant would also have a "congeniality" rating which would reflect their recruiting ability and influence positively or negatively your ability to sign prospects from their region. Similar to the position group time bonus, the longer a particular assistant is assigned to a region, the more effective they are as a recruiter (reflecting real-life networking that happens between local H.S. coaches and the college assistant coaches that recruit that area). This would also limit users from just swapping their best recruiters every season to different regions based on prospect lists.

The coordinators would have similar ratings to the assistants, as well as their play-calling and injury avoidence ratings. Scouting would consist of a combination of the assistant assigned to that position group, the assistant assigned to that recruiting region, and the coordinator's rating for that position group all combining to determine how accurate an assessment is made for each position group in each region.

I think that defensive coordinators should have a formation specialty just like offensive coordinators do - I don't think you should be able to swap between base 4-3 and 3-4 easily.

Assistants could be promoted to coordinator positions, with some rating assigned that gave an indication of their play-calling and injury avoidence ratings.

Likewise, coordinators would also have a projected rating for their ability to handle head coaching responsibilities like team discipline, academic performance, sportsmanship, etc.

Coach Movement - As currently implemented in TCY, this function doesn't make a lot of sense in many cases. The firing logic could use some tweaking (and I'll address that more later) but even more bizarre is some of the hiring choices the AI makes - high-rep teams with a history of success hiring guys with awful coaching records and not terribly great ratings. By adopting the changes suggested above, you'd see assistants promoted to coordinators and coordinators getting jobs as head coaches and vice versa. Rather than being limited to a stagnant list of recycled coaches, there could be a constantly evolving pool of candidates to choose from, with some dropping out of the pool by retirement or leaving for the pros, and new ones working their way up the ladder from assistant to coordinator to head coach.

Hiring/Firing criteria - Here's an area where Jim should borrow liberally from NCAA 2005 - give the user some idea of what the expectations are of the school that hires you, and a running rating of how satisfied they are of your job performance. Perhaps add in elements like e-mails from the AD congratulating you when you're doing well and talking about contract extensions, and warnings when you're doing poorly and the boosters are getting antsy. There's nothing worse in TCY than taking over a program in need of major rebuilding, doing what you think is a pretty good job of turning the program around and then suddenly getting fired at the start of the next season with no prior warning. This pissed me off so much in my last career that I'm done with TCY - I can't justify spending the hours I do playing it only to be dumped with no explanation or clear-cut justification.

Recruiting
In general I think the recruiting engine works quite well. I'm neutral on the timing issue - I'm fine with it happening during the season, but I can see the argument of moving it to the off-season (kind of like the seperate free agency period in FOF). I'm also neutral on the travel budget setup - unlike Bucc, I can live with the current quirks of how travel budget is calculated, as it makes for some interesting strategic choices.

What I'd like to see improved is more customizable filtering options. The way the TCY Helper handles this is a great example of what I'm looking for - I can filter based on position group, overall rating, GPA, test score, region, state, height, weight, etc. I love the TCY Helper, but it'd be nice if this level of functionality were built into TCY itself.

If we really wanted to get sophisticated, Jim could make it possible to sign more than your alloted number of scholarships to account for possible academic casualties, and potentially forcing the user to try and convince some of the recruits to "greyshirt" (delay enrollment to the next recruiting period) to fit under the max yearly limit, with some agreeing and some deciding to become recruitable prospects again and going back into the pool for next year.

Academics
Like most, I'd prefer to see the academic side of TCY more reflect reality, though I understand that this is an intentional design decision by Jim, and the 1.3 patch has toned down academic importance slightly. I think this could be further modified though. Right now, every prospect in TCY gets in to school regardless of their GPA or test scores - you just have to either assign them more time in Study Hall (and taking away from their Film Study and Weight Training time, slowing down their development, or lowering their Free Time and making them unhappy) or risk they'll fail a class and be ineligible and likely to leave school after their academic suspension.

I think it would be more interesting if guys with questionable grades and/or test scores were risks to not gain entry into college. Tone down the academic importance overall, but to compensate provide a greater risk to recruiting guys with questionable academics. Even more cool would be if the database kept these non-qualifiers in the mix and then had them resurface later as JC transfers eligible to be recruited again.

Game Engine
I've hammered on this in the past, and it's still my biggest gripe - the 4th down logic for teams between their opponents' 25-40 yard lines is horrible. Teams consistently go for it on 4th and long when they should punt or kick a long field goal. There is very little evidence of teams trying to play the field position battle and attempt coffin-corner punts. The punting logic probably needs greater sophistication to reflect directional punting ability as differentiated from leg strength, and hopefully this would fix the punting averages which are about 5-10 yards too short on average (when was the last time you saw a punter in TCY finish with a 40+ yard average?)

Maybe more than just the slider on how frequently to go for it on 4th down, it could be broken down to willingness to attempt long field goals (based on your kicker's ability), willingness to coffin-corner punt (based on your punter's directional punting ability) and willingness to go for it on 4th down.

Position Switching
I think positions in TCY are way too structured - it should be a lot easier to convert a G to a C for example, or a TE to a FB or a DE. NCAA 2005 does a very good job of allowing position switching and doing a pretty realistic job of reflecting bonuses or penalties to overall ratings based on the switches. I don't think TCY should make these ratings changes explicit like NCAA 2005, but there should be some kind of indication of how successful a position switch would be before doing so.

I also like the "athlete" designation in NCAA 2005 and how that's handled. Perhaps recruiting in TCY could reflect possible position switch info in the database. It makes more sense to me for example to recruit 'offensive linemen' with each guy having a particular specialty (C, G, T), but not making it a major deal for most players to move them to another spot on the line, and with some of them equally rated as OL or DT/NT. Same thing with some WR/DB.

Early NFL Entries
This is probably too toned down in TCY. I like the way NCAA 2005 handles it, with a logical number of guys declaring early and the ability to try and "recruit" them to return (and coming out of your recruiting budget).

As I think of more things, I'll edit. I'm sure I addressed some other issues in my previous post(s) in the thread - I'll go find them and try to consolidate my thoughts.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:39 AM   #128
Ben E Lou

Interface change like FOF2K4: Make box scores/logs accessible team-by-team, rather than all on one page.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:52 AM   #129
Ben E Lou

Ah. And add the option to save box scores/logs from all games involving schools in your conference.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 AM   #130
Klinglerware
College Starter

One pet peeve I've had with TCY are allocated (i.e., unrecruited) walk-ons who happen to have a national ranking (usually kickers)--for some reason their ratings are just as crappy as any other allocated walk on. I think that any unrecruited walk-on that appeared in the previous season's recruiting pool should have the same rating as he would have had if he were actually recruited...
Old 01-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #131
Ben E Lou

An AI improvement needed: better adjustments to personnel with regard to primary offense. LSU had FOUR TE's rated 60 or higher (current), and only 2 WR's rated above 35, yet ran the run and shoot. I'd like to have seen them fire their coordinator for one who actually used an offense with at least one TE involved, or just switch offenses. Their coordinator wasn't that good to justify this.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #132
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
An AI improvement needed: better adjustments to personnel with regard to primary offense. LSU had FOUR TE's rated 60 or higher (current), and only 2 WR's rated above 35, yet ran the run and shoot. I'd like to have seen them fire their coordinator for one who actually used an offense with at least one TE involved, or just switch offenses. Their coordinator wasn't that good to justify this.

off topic

is that the case with FOF 5.1b too?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #133
mhass
High School Varsity

I am just getting back in to TCY after playing the first version and then letting it sit for FOF. One thing that bugged me back then and still gets on my nerves is the different recruiting views. A dream would be to make one view user-definable so I could pick which columns I want. For instance, I use the Scout rating and Distance from the Worksheet view, but want GPA and Nat'l rank from a couple others.

On the positive side, the time management shortcut in this version is incredible. For a guy who hated that tediousness, this is alone is worth the second purchase.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #134
tdydynasty
Banned

I like to more realistic idolization. Have people idolize you program all around the country if you are Air Force, Army, Navy and to an extent Notre Dame. If you have a program that has been down for 10 years it would be nice to have a nice group of top players idolize your school. Who in the State of California idolize Nevada and Arizona State? Not many if any but I see it almost every year. Recruits on the border idolize out-of-state schools often. Examples, Arkansas (Oklahoma!, Missouri), Michigan (Ohio!!), Rutgers (New York, Pennsylvania). In general, schools with a lot of distance between them or state-border schools generally have more idolized people then schools that are close together. UCLA (very rarely USC) generally has all the idolized people in Southern California except for the majors they don't offer (sometimes they have every major). I want a option for idolization.
Here would be my settings:
1-like it is now
2-completely random(all over the country) For example:A person from Texas could idolize Hawaii
3-based on prestige level
4-based on past history

Also, I want to see 2nd generations when I start instead then 30 years after. I want more of them generally.
tdydynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #135
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'd like to see scouting simplified. Rather than the constant "oops, gotta replace my southwestern scout because he got another job", just have your level of scouting tied to the amount of $$$ you apply from your budget. The bigger schools with more $$$ will obviously have a much bigger scouting budget than the smaller schools. It will also take a lot of the drudgery that I personally see in the game from having to micromanage your scouting network.
how do you know?

Old 02-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #136
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I would like to see a fully editable Bowl schedule. Have an option of adding or deleting bowl games on a season by season basis. Have the option of selecting who get into the bowl games i.e. drop box that you can select SEC #4, etc... Bowl games with ties to schools. Maybe this is just for the Sheraton Hawaii bowl but they have a clause that states if Hawaii becomes bowl eligible then they get an automatic invite.

I'd like to see American Samoa become a place you can recruit from.

You have idolized schools, how about idolized coaches?

JC transfers

A screen that shows who transferred from where to where.

Full scholarship limit. 60 man road rosters. More sanctions.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #137
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW

I'd like to see American Samoa become a place you can recruit from.

- And Canada...

- Also have the recruit pool be larger in states that have strong pools in real life.

- A final end-of-season recruit screen (associated with the new TCY Today poll) that shows where else your signed players were visiting besides your school.

- The 46 defense option actually being a 4-3 with lots of blitzing and man to man, rather than a 4-4
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 AM   #138
Ben E Lou

I'd love to see a "team history" screen option that gives a little more info. Something these lines:

ALABAMA
YR RECORD PASSING RUSHING RECEIVING TACKLES SACKS INTS FINISH
2004 9-3 A. Gaylor 181/309, 2623yds, 21TD, 11INT B. DeMeester 131x772yds, 11TD A. Barton 39x717, 8TD D. Bradshaw 61 J. Fulcher 8.5 K. Davison 4 won Seattle Bowl
2005 10-3 A. Gaylor 145/235, 2171yds, 23TD, 9INT P. Jankowski 172x903yds, 8TD C. Bellas 45x786, 10TD T. Caldwell 58 S. Knaack 7.5 B. Liwienski 4 won SECCG, won Orange Bowl
2006 10-3 D. Daniels 201/364, 3278yds, 33TD, 12 INT B. Burns 113x635yds, 8TD C. Bellas 69x1108, 12TD J. Walker 71 O. Flannery 17 B. Liwienski & D. Caldwell: 5 lost SECCG, won Gator Bowl
2007 11-2 K. Durham 198/339, 634yds,29TD,14INT B. Burns 97x547yds,5TD B. Woods 61x988,12TD R. Dakota 63 O. Flannery 21 B. Liwienski 6 won SECCG, won Rose Bowl
Old 02-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #139
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Good idea, SD. I'd go a step farther with that concept and do the same thing for conferences. I realize that this info can be pulled from the record section, but an "at a glance" leader board like you've shown would be cool.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #140
Dunleavy
High School JV

my 2 cents

Would love to see a TCY2 period, much over due.

-PT should be just as important to recruit as Acad, TP, Dis

-besides the big 4 reason for recruits (Acad, TP, PT, and Dis) coaches should be important

-programs should get reputations for great success at a position.
--i.e. over a 8-10 year period if you have a heisman winner or multiple All-Americans, conference POY at one position players should recognize that
--also players should recognize your coaches system (i.e. WR's like a run and gun coach)

-for TP, should be weighted conference rankings so a MAC, WAC, or Sol8 team can't be up in the 90's like Mich, ND, FSU etc...

-keep the regions, but forget the scouts. instead get recruiting coordinator for each region
--they would recruit and scout. RC would be same as scout but in addition have Congeniality/recruiting ability

-Keep Coordinators: for play call, position development, injury avoid, rehab.
--should share a role in recruiting (about 1/3, 2/3 for RC)

-increase the accuracy of RC/scout for our own teams alittle bit (30%) for all positions

-would be great to have the recruits ranking list of schools recruiting him
--somewhat unrealistic, could instead have his interest level in schools, High, Med, or Low

-should be a pipeline of sorts, you should have a loose relationships w/HS coaches in a school district you have recruited from before

-when a recruit decides, add some drama. don't just give just a name and answer
--having a "guess the attendance" like game would be too much to ask, but should allow the recruits profile to open for review, then click a button for decision

-players should make visits even with out an offer from you, and after should send you an email about how they liked it (or didn't)

-Acad ratings should be pre-set by the school itself, but move up to 5 points it either direction based on players grades

-i'd like to see rosters expanded

-i dont like having a fixed out of conference opponent (well, i like the idea just didnt like my schools opponent. Illinois vs Cal?)

-players should develop a little better, plus i often have players that have great Soph year and #'s wise the have big dropoffs the next two years

-i rarely have a player go pro, sad to say, but this should happen more often

-i dont need to call every play like FOF, but in game adjustments would be nice.
--"run more" "pass more" button. change D, change players, kick a FG etc..

-the polls could use some corrections, i play playoff and the guys in championship games are not all ways #1 or #2, even after winning
--if the polls were better you could have the useless info of how many weeks teams have been in Top 25, 10, and #1

-the stokes could be way cooler then they are, now they are weighted way too much to RB and QB. stokes could go into record books too

-HOF players should have all years stats plus awards

-i've had a practice of 24, and still 12 pentalies a game

-should be more media hype, maybe 3 fake experts to make all the picks (pre-season, mid-season)

-coaching blocks should be used for one thing, i.e. getting grades up, adding weight, increase happiness etc...

-would like to change the playoff system, everyone has their on take on how to do it but for me take the top 8 teams for the playoff
--rest of bowl eligible teams play in bowl games. options within the playoff option would be nice

let me second some other good idea's..

-liked the idea of a spring practice with stats and/or coaches thoughts
-JUCO's mixed right in w/HS'ers
-like the idea of Hesiman watch (maybe even conference POY watch too) and preseason media picks, not just players but also your conference standings too
-like the idea of the game keeping a recruiting log for each player
-loved the idea of a recruting filter for a region not just states
-love to see a team history like the one posted by skydog

tried to get everything but i'm sure i missed something, hope 05 is the year for TCY2!
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #141
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

There's some excellent ideas in there, Dunleavy. Nice post and welcome to the board.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #142
Dunleavy
High School JV

thanks. love the game and recently came back to it, although it's kicking my behind
Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #143
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Dunleavy you have some great ideas man. However I feel like you should show these to Greydog's programmer Arlie(sp?) they seem more willing to add such features into the game. And over time will improve the ideas... Not a slam against Jim but the word hard headed comes to mind when I think of his games.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:34 AM   #144
Ben E Lou

Bumping this and FOF6, due to Jim's recent comments. Keep the ideas coming, guys.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:32 AM   #145
st.cronin
General Manager

TCY is my favorite game of all time. A sequel would probably doom my relationship with my significant other.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #146
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Finally, TCY2......... Plz Jim..... We all have been waiting for years....
Old 04-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #147
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life
Finally, TCY2......... Plz Jim..... We all have been waiting for years....

<-------AH4L on the day Jim announces TCY2
Old 04-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #148
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Been forever since I saw this thread, but I'll post some thoughts. How about something like conference strength/rankings? We can already sort the rankings by conference and scroll through to get a general idea of how good they are, but a page listing conference rankings would rock hardcore.

I'm sure this has been said, but how about being able to sort through possible new staff members. That'd save me a lot of time. Maybe be able to assign a point value to each category (0 for lousy, 1 for the next, etc.) and search for people by their total point values. Something like that.

Something I'd love is to be able to switch between the playoff and bowl systems mid-career. This may be a logistical nightmare, but to me I'd greatly appreciate it. I wanted it on bowls to start out, but now I'd like to switch to playoffs (just to see what it's like). No way I give up my 50+ year universe to start over

On a similar note, I'd love to be able to transfer my current TCY career into TCY 2. I'd bet dollars to donuts this won't happen, but if Jim added this, I may drive to NH to buy him a drink Even if it wasn't everything, just some of the basic stuff like HOF'ers and previous rankings and standings and...oh. I guess there's a lot of basic stuff

How about offensive and defensive players of the week for each conference? That'd be cool.

Please tweak the Coach of the Year process. Tony Kosters of UCLA has won 34 of the 61 COTY's in my dynasty.

Is conference movement a possibility? FBCB does an amazing job with this. Bump up one team that's tearing it up and demote a crappy crap crap team.

With coach movement, I'd love to be able to be proactive and let a school know I'm interested in their opening. Just maybe a sitdown or something to increase the likelihood they'll look at me. Ohio State went through many coaches before hiring me away from the SCE team and their 12 titles. No way they'd let an in-state school show them up for over 50 years. They'd have stolen me away

That's some of the things I can think of right now. Here's to hoping August brings a new TCY game (that's compatible with the first one!!!)
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #149
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Bumping this and FOF6, due to Jim's recent comments. Keep the ideas coming, guys.
Did I miss something? Which recent comments?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Jim posted this in a thread about Baseball sims not getting young player development right:

Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

One major reason I don't announce new projects very far in advance is because I'm working on a lot of things.

That said, the bar is very, very high in baseball - these games are far prettier than I could ever hope to create without a team. I don't have the financial ability to hire a dedicated artist, though I feel confident that my engine design is very different from anything on the market. Maybe someday. Not this year.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote