Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
You haven't posted in this thread until now.

It was in the other thread. You're correct.

Quote:
It's a very good game and will help the 360 without a doubt.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #102
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Stunning praise.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #103
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Stunning praise.

I 'heart' you.

I've heard nothing but good things from a friend who had a review copy. As I mentioned in the other thread, he said that Halo 3 may sell more copies, but that he believed Bioshock was the better game. That's pretty high praise I would think.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think this article has the clearest indication that Bioshock is not coming to the PS3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/24/le...-on-pc-issues/

Then there is the lingering question of the rumored PS3 version of BioShock found in the PC code. Levine responds quite clearly, "I promise you, there is no secret plan about the PS3 that we're keeping from people. There's no PS3 development going on that we're hiding. There's lots of stuff that gets into game code, plans change over time and we got an exclusive deal with Microsoft ... that's not a Rosetta Stone discovery."
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM   #105
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think this article has the clearest indication that Bioshock is not coming to the PS3:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/24/le...-on-pc-issues/

Then there is the lingering question of the rumored PS3 version of BioShock found in the PC code. Levine responds quite clearly, "I promise you, there is no secret plan about the PS3 that we're keeping from people. There's no PS3 development going on that we're hiding. There's lots of stuff that gets into game code, plans change over time and we got an exclusive deal with Microsoft ... that's not a Rosetta Stone discovery."

Certainly a solid 'no' statement. It'll likely stand until the next rumor comes along.......which will likely be a few weeks. These things never die completely, much like the MSG4 to 360 rumor. It's never fully dead.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #106
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've heard that the PS3 reference in the code is referring to Pixel Shader 3.0, FWIW.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #107
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I 'heart' you.

I've heard nothing but good things from a friend who had a review copy. As I mentioned in the other thread, he said that Halo 3 may sell more copies, but that he believed Bioshock was the better game. That's pretty high praise I would think.

Stupid question here. . . how would he know Bioshock was better than Halo 3? There has been a Halo 3 beta, but the full game hasn't been released. No demo of the single player game has been released. The game hasn't even gone gold yet. But he believes Bioshock is the better game?

Are you the same person who chastised review sites for jumping the gun?

Let's just concentrate on what we know for sure: Bioshock is the single best FPS shooter released for the next gen systems. I'd say it wasn't close, but Resistence is one heck of a game too. I don't think it's in the same league as Bioshock, but that's opinion, nothing more.

Bioshock and Halo fill different roles anyway. Halo 3 will likely have a solid single player experience, but will almost certainly shine in multiplayer. Bioshock shines as an FPS single player experience. And Mass Effect will cater to the RPG fan.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #108
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

One game I would like to see on the ps3 and that's MGS4. I would be in heaven if that game came to the 360.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #109
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
"Sony (the owner of SecureROM copy protection) is still up to its old tricks. One would think that they would have learned their lesson after the music CD DRM fiasco, which cost them millions. However, they have now started infesting PC gaming with their invasive DRM. Facts have surfaced that show that the recently released PC game BioShock installs a rootkit, which embeds itself into Explorer, as part of its SecureROM copy-protection scheme. Not only that, but just installing the demo infects your system with the rootkit. This begs the question: Since when did demos need copy protection?"

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/08/24/213256.shtml
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #110
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Wow you can reinstall it up to 5 times, WTF?

I reinstall my windows all the time.
I am not going to give them $50 and have them tell me how many time I can reinstall it.
I guess SecuROM is the new StarForce, if it is on a game I will not buy it.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis

Last edited by Surtt : 08-25-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

My wife keeps coming in the computer/gaming room and sitting down and watching a bit here and there. She hates games, but this one finally has her drawn in a bit.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #112
TroyF
Coordinator

I did get by that Big Daddy. I'm playing through as a "good" guy now and saving any of the little girls I come across. The more I play the game, the more I enjoy it. I think there was some football game released a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if I'll play it again.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #113
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Can you go back to areas you've previously left later in the game?

I'll put the specifics of my question in a spoiler tag. It deals with the medical pavillion area:

Spoiler
Old 08-25-2007, 02:16 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Never mind. Just answered my own question. You can go back to previous areas, or at least I can go back to the medical pavillion.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #115
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Never mind. Just answered my own question. You can go back to previous areas, or at least I can go back to the medical pavillion.

Yes you can.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #116
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Outside of a game of Civ 4 when I first got it, I haven't had a game make 8 hours fly by faster in a very long time. Maybe, I'm just a very slow player, but I don't think I'm anywhere near done and I've now played about 12 hours. I've had a few reloads from my fights with Big Daddy's, as I don't want to use the Vita Chambers, so maybe I've actually only played about 10-11 hours of game time. I'm not even done the 3rd level, yet.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Those big daddy's have been kicking the shat out of me.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #118
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post

Damn, I was thinking of getting it for the PC...I can buy it through Steam. I wonder if it installs that copy protect even if I d/l the demo through Steam.

EDIT: Apparently the Steam version has it as well (why?), and it would seem the PC version is quite buggy.

Last edited by sabotai : 08-25-2007 at 07:22 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #119
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Those big daddy's have been kicking the shat out of me.

The first one took an hour or so for me to beat (about a dozen reloads.) The last 3 have been easier but every one of them has been challenging and fun.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-25-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #120
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The first one took an hour or so for me to beat (about a dozen reloads.) The last 3 have been easier but every one of them has been challenging and fun.

Yeah, the first one wasn't bad for me, but the next one took me about 8-9 reloads.

Edit: I don't think I've seen AI in any game as good as this one.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-25-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 AM   #121
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

The first one took me about 20 reloads, and cost me all my cash in reloads on health at a machine. They've gotten a TAD easier, but not a lot. They are a horrible lot to deal with.

I love the save mechanism of the game. I'm playing it just like you EF27, I reload my own saves. But it gives another replay option. Maybe next time I'm going to just play through it with the in game saves only for more of a challenge, even on medium.

I think I've played about 8 hours total and am not even close to through the second level. I am spending a ton of time on each level just looking for things to hack and things to find.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #122
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just had the single most intense moment in a game that I can recall in at least the last several years:

Spoiler

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-26-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #123
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, that spoiler part was pretty cool. That scene further cemented a suspicion I had through the whole game that actually came to pass later in the game...but I don't wanna ruin anything for ya dude. It's pretty sweet and coming up in the next area I think.

For those people wondering, there are 7 total areas that you can travel via the underwater vehicle. That's a good way to measure your overall game progress.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #124
TroyF
Coordinator

Just passed your spoiler point EF27. I screwed around in the next area for about 5 minutes and decided to throw in the towel for the night.

I really need to find my copy of System Shock 2 again. After I beat this thing, I want to go back through SS2 and beat it again. Wish they could somehow make that one a d/l for the 360. I'd buy it in a second.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #125
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Just passed your spoiler point EF27. I screwed around in the next area for about 5 minutes and decided to throw in the towel for the night.

I really need to find my copy of System Shock 2 again. After I beat this thing, I want to go back through SS2 and beat it again. Wish they could somehow make that one a d/l for the 360. I'd buy it in a second.

I've never played System Shock 2, because I generally don't play shooter type games. However, after hearing how that game shares some similiarities to Bioshock, I'd buy it in a second as well if it was available via d/l.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I've never played System Shock 2, because I generally don't play shooter type games. However, after hearing how that game shares some similiarities to Bioshock, I'd buy it in a second as well if it was available via d/l.

The used version at a retailer could probably be picked up for pretty cheap. Any compatibility issues with the 360?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #127
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The used version at a retailer could probably be picked up for pretty cheap. Any compatibility issues with the 360?
System Shock 2 is a PC game.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #128
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

stop causing problems
Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Then I guess there are compatibility issues.

Honestly never played it. I assumed it was a Xbox title given the discussion.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #130
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I just wish there was a way they could do it. Even with the worse graphics, the game really stands up over time IMHO. I can't find my copy. I'll have to look for a cheap copy somewhere online.

EF27,

The similarities are all over the place. The way you level your character up, the chips/sodas/beer/cigs for health, the ghostly images, the messages and how you receive them, etc. I'd say the only thing Bioshock lacks is the eery, eery voice of the baddie in SS2. It's a female voice that echos through the halls of abandoned spaceships. There are some mean monkies in the game that howl. I've never been as scared playing a video game as I was in SS2. (Bioshock has already had a few of those moments)

If you can find a cheap copy somewhere, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #131
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I just wish there was a way they could do it. Even with the worse graphics, the game really stands up over time IMHO. I can't find my copy. I'll have to look for a cheap copy somewhere online.

EF27,

The similarities are all over the place. The way you level your character up, the chips/sodas/beer/cigs for health, the ghostly images, the messages and how you receive them, etc. I'd say the only thing Bioshock lacks is the eery, eery voice of the baddie in SS2. It's a female voice that echos through the halls of abandoned spaceships. There are some mean monkies in the game that howl. I've never been as scared playing a video game as I was in SS2. (Bioshock has already had a few of those moments)

I think you can download it. Perhaps the underdogs.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #132
MikeVic
Head Coach

So has anyone run across a bug that my friend has right now?

Quote:
The game is always stuttering, hitching up, or
pausing. It started happening for me yesterday. It's really annoying
and I'm not the only one that this has happened to (a lot of people
are complaining on 2K's official boards). Apparently my only option
until it's fixed/patched is if I get a memory card unit and play w/o
the hard drive attached (which I'm not gonna do because I don't feel
like paying $40 or whatever it costs for a MCU).

I think the bug is caused by the game wanting to load too many
textures and objects for some people. How it gets to that point is
beyond me.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #133
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yesterday after about 6 hours of continuous play (and about 15-20 hours into the game) in the area of Arcadia, I had the first hitch I've seen all game that lasted for 2 seconds and then it went away. I'm hoping it doesn't keep happening, although it was only a very minor annoyance, it could become a significant annoyance if it happens too often.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #134
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So has anyone run across a bug that my friend has right now?

No. I have 4 saves I alternate through and I've never had a problem with any of them. I'm just past level 2. Hope this doesn't become a problem.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #135
Phototropic
Mascot

Has he tried to clear his cache?
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #136
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
Has he tried to clear his cache?

Yup, he said he's tried that. It might just be a rare bug in the game I guess.

He also wanted to try and use a USB stick as storage for the save files to attempt and work around the HDD issue, and not having to buy a memory card. But you apparently can't transfer game-related content using the USB ports.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #137
StarBuck
H.S. Freshman Team

I just finished the demo tonight.
I have to confess, I hate playing on the console. I'm a PC gamer. But my computer won't run this game and so I played it on my boyfriend's XBox. t was very creepy and the storyline intriguing, just like the System Shock series.

I could not get used to the controls and could not hit a thing. I don't think I'll get the hang of it.Time for a new computer.

Last edited by StarBuck : 08-27-2007 at 09:59 PM.
StarBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:10 PM   #138
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBuck View Post
I just finished the demo tonight.
I have to confess, I hate playing on the console. I'm a PC gamer. But my computer won't run this game and so I played it on my boyfriend's XBox.

You're either a girl, gay, or use the term boyfriend loosely. I don't care which one, but pointed out that this caught my attention lol...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #139
StarBuck
H.S. Freshman Team

*Taps MikeVic's foot*

LOL Just kidding, wipe the sweat from your brow, I'm female.

Last edited by StarBuck : 08-27-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #140
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

EF27,

Definitely play SS2. Still a great game today, and do a search for high res textures for System Shock 2, as there's some out there and they help beef the graphics up a good amount. Obviously it's still outdated but definitely playable. On a pure creepiness level I think SS2 blows Bioshock away, but Bioshock improves or holds it own in every other regard(and there's no shotguns falling to pieces after 5 shots, damn you weapon degradation!)
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #141
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

hay guys i've never played bioshock but i heard there was a girl up in this thread confirm/deny
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #142
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
hay guys i've never played bioshock but i heard there was a girl up in this thread confirm/deny

Deny.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #143
rkmsuf
Head Coach

this thread is now useless without pics
Old 08-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #144
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
this thread is now useless without pics

Yeah, get on it Pumpy.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #145
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBuck View Post
*Taps MikeVic's foot*

LOL Just kidding, wipe the sweat from your brow, I'm female.

I'm still not dropping the soap.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #146
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Definitely play SS2. Still a great game today, and do a search for high res textures for System Shock 2, as there's some out there and they help beef the graphics up a good amount. Obviously it's still outdated but definitely playable. On a pure creepiness level I think SS2 blows Bioshock away, but Bioshock improves or holds it own in every other regard(and there's no shotguns falling to pieces after 5 shots, damn you weapon degradation!)

I would agree. The atmosphere in SS2 is better than Bioshock. Everything else, it's Bioshock.

The weapons degragation was frustrating as all get out. Agree 100% there.

Into Area 4 now.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #147
StarBuck
H.S. Freshman Team

I agree.
Anyone remember the feeling when you rounded that corner and stopped because you heard the "nurses" for the first time?

God, that game rocked.

I call a game great when you have to actually stop and go do something else because your nerves are on edge. The SS series did that for me as did the Thief series. Looking Glass studios were responsible for both, if I remember correctly. Dream team. RIP Looking Glass.

MikeVic: They all say that the first time.

Last edited by StarBuck : 08-28-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #148
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh man, now I understand why you tapped my foot.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #149
StarBuck
H.S. Freshman Team

HAHAHAAHA!!!

I saw you in that thread earlier and thought to myself..."now he gets it".

Last edited by StarBuck : 08-28-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just took out a Big Daddy without even getting touched! I didn't run or hide in a nook either. I'm at the point in the game where I think I have every weapon and I used the RB to switch through several of them in the brief fight.

Spoiler