Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #101
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I've read the NHL 2k8 game is also having framerate issues on the ps3.. go figure.

Link?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You keep believing that.

You don't have to believe me. Here's the latest mention of EA's sales issues by Michael Pachter. Still a third-party leader, but sales have declined 11% overall. Unit sales have actually dropped even further, but they made up some of the loss because more of the games were sold at the $60 price point because of an increased 360 and PS3 installed base over last year........

Quote:
EA will command top third party sales in August, according to Pachter, with an expected $135 million in sales (an 11 percent year-on-year decrease) thanks mainly to Madden NFL 08, which is flanked by Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 and Boogie.

While this year’s Madden has undoubtedly sold piles of copies, Pachter cited “pessimistic” investors who are wary of the title’s performance, as EA has yet to issue a “self congratulatory press release” about Madden 08’s performance. Shortly after the release of last year’s Madden, EA announced the game had broken franchise records with 2 million copies sold in its first week.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Link?

Go over to the OS forums. People already complaining the framerate is terrible on the default camera.. not sure if changing to the 3/4 view helps. This is all from users who have the ps3 version.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #104
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You don't have to believe me. Here's the latest mention of EA's sales issues by Michael Pachter. Still a third-party leader, but sales have declined 11% overall. Unit sales have actually dropped even further, but they made up some of the loss because more of the games were sold at the $60 price point because of an increased 360 and PS3 installed base over last year........

I think it's because the game is just not that spectacular. Do you really think the 30 fps on the ps3 changed sales that much? I know people who have a ps3 and also have Madden.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #105
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Go over to the OS forums. People already complaining the framerate is terrible on the default camera.. not sure if changing to the 3/4 view helps. This is all from users who have the ps3 version.

Thanks. Haven't been over there yet.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #106
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Link?

http://forums.operationsports.com/vB...d.php?t=220361

If that is true, and i hope he is just a troll, as 2K said that all his titles would be 60fps in both consoles, then i'll probably end not buying any hockey game this year, as i can only import PS3 games to Europe because the region lock in the 360 and no way i'm goign to end with games like Madden08 that is pure garbage (and I wonder why, as NCAA looks way better in the Ps3 than madden).

Anyway i have here NHL2k7 barely touched from last year, as i bought it late in the season (it was a 50€ special pack with NBA2k7 and NHL2k7). With NBA2k8 coming in a month, i'll keep playing NHL2k7 if i want to play an NHL game, unless i read better reviews about the 2k8 PS3 version.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #107
Icy
Pro Starter

Dola, this is an even worse problem if true (it comes from the same guy):

Quote:
Another problem I noticed,

i'm playing on all-star simulation settings and got into a shootout against the cpu (thrashers). The cpu has not scored in 22 attempts. On that note, either have I 'cause I stink. But the fact that the cpu cannot score in 22 attempts so far as I write this is bothersome.

I finally scored on my 23rd shot and the cpu missed on his.

this is not looking good....

Old 09-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #108
Icy
Pro Starter

Ouch, 4 out of 10 is the 2k8 review result in 1up, mainly because they say the control scheme sucks so bad. On the other side, they say that the franchise mode is nice. Reading their comments, i think that there is no reason to give it a 4, maybe a 6 or 7 would be more fair.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId...98&sec=REVIEWS

Last edited by Icy : 09-11-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #109
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

One more day!
Old 09-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #110
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Ouch, 4 out of 10 is the 2k8 review result in 1up, mainly because they say the control scheme sucks so bad. On the other side, they say that the franchise mode is nice. Reading their comments, i think that there is no reason to give it a 4, maybe a 6 or 7 would be more fair.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId...98&sec=REVIEWS

Damn! wtf?

They score NHL 08 for the 360 - 9.5
Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #111
CraigSca
Pro Starter

so...where are the first impressions that I can live vicariously through?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #112
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
so...where are the first impressions that I can live vicariously through?
The guys at Operation Sports are wetting themselves right now. Apparently the passive AI issues in the demo are gone (at least at higher levels) and the skating is "heavier" which everyone seems to like.

They're also reporting that the framerate issues on the PS3 have been hugely overstated and are basically non-factors.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 AM   #113
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ah yes, the inevitable "wetting myself" period. I'm crossing my fingers, but we'll see.

It's not unlike when NCAA 2008 came out and everyone was posting their highlights. No one seemed to notice (at first) that about half the highlights were interception returns for TDs...
how do you know?

Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
They're also reporting that the framerate issues on the PS3 have been hugely overstated and are basically non-factors.

You know, I was wondering about that after taking a peek over at Metacritic.com at some of the scores. The 360 version is currently rated 89 while the PS3 version is rated 88. Seemed odd given the framerate concerns, but your comment certainly matches what the scores are showing over there.

Certainly agree with Craig as well that the EA impressions always begin this way.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-12-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #115
Icy
Pro Starter

This time i'm going to control myself and to wait for the demo to come to the PSnetwork and also for possible franchise and long term bugs that are never discovered in the dirst days. I have finally learned a lot from Madden fiasco this year.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #116
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I ordered online through Best Buy, and there's a copy waiting there for me to pick up. I'm thinking about ducking out of work a little early for this one. I haven't been this excited about a console hockey game in a long time.

I'm hoping that somebody will have managed to crack the code to unlock the new jerseys by the end of the day, but I'm not optimistic about that.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Mine is waiting at Gamestop. I might get one game in before I have some family stuff to attend... BUT I will be playing most of the night after that.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #118
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Mine is waiting at Gamestop. I might get one game in before I have some family stuff to attend... BUT I will be playing most of the night after that.
Maybe one day, we can play against each other online. I'll control Martin Brodeur, and you can control whatever clown the Blues decide to dress up in goalie gear.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #119
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Maybe one day, we can play against each other online. I'll control Martin Brodeur, and you can control whatever clown the Blues decide to dress up in goalie gear.
Maybe you could pretend there's a playoff spot on the line and play with the backup instead.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #120
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Maybe you could pretend there's a playoff spot on the line and play with the backup instead.
It ain't my playoff spot. Weekes, put your mask on!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #121
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

I just signed up for XBL Gold again, so BRING IT ON!

That would be fun to play as goalies though!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

Any trade-in offers for the 360 version? Namely for NCAA 08?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #123
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Any trade-in offers for the 360 version? Namely for NCAA 08?

Only thing I saw was you get a pack of NHL cards. lol...
Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #124
DeToxRox
Head Coach

There is apparently online leagues in 08 .. I know people gotta be game
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #125
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Don't have much time, one game AS defaults 10 min periods.

I loved 07, but I have to tell you.. 08's gameplay is so much better I'm shocked. It's like a real hockey game in every aspect. AI is really great thus far. I need to run, but they really did a great job from what I've seen.

FWIW, it's only 1 game.. I'll have some more time tonight.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #126
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My brother has been trying to convince me to buy a 360 and knows I'm dying for this game. He sent me these impressions he found (not sure of the source):

Some impressions from people who have the game:

— "This may be the first sports game where every game is truly different. I am thoroughly impressed by the leaps in AI so far, it is probably the best ai ever in a sports game. Best of all is when the ai is beating me I do not feel like it is because of some code in the game that suddenly gives them super powered abilities like you find in the football titles."
— "This is by far one of the best, if not THE best hockey games ever made, plain and simple. Having to work every shift for scoring chances, having to play solid defense to cut down passing lanes and prevent the AI from burying you because they will, and often if you let them is just plain all sorts of awesome sauce. Hell my last game I had a total of 15 shots all game. Thats how much the AI shut me down."
— "Played my first online game and could hardly tell it wasn't offline... only difference is the 'waiting for user' pause between stoppages when the other guy was watching the cutscene. No framerate drops, still 'buttery smooth' as people are saying..."
— "I absolutely love the difference in the ways certain lines play (for you and the ai). With the Leafs I was able to run around all day with the Sundin, Ponikarovsky, and Antropov, line, I was just able to use their size to keep cycling the puck. Similarly, I was chasing Ottawa's top unit around all night, they really were able to work the puck around. On the flip side to that, I was able to shut down Ottawa's second and third lines down quite effectively as they played dump and chase. I played one man up at the blue line to cut the dump man off and had my better skating and puck moving defenseman retrieve the puck and either outlet to a man along the boards or try to skate out of the zone with it. I was amazed to see the ai using different offensive strategies, but also using them effective. I love that the ai on All-Star poses a very significant scoring threat if you don't play a disciplined game."
— "This one of the first things I noticed in my first game. My 4th line just doesn't have the skill to carry the puck, I had to dump it in and try to muck it up to generate a chance. But Crosby, Malkin, etc could dance and dangle much more. Really forces to play to strengths and away from your weaknesses. Also, you can really tell the differences in speed between the players. I chipped past a slow d-man and was able to go and get it with Crosby, but couldn't do it with Ruuttu. Very nice!"
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #127
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

..and Fidatelo, I agree with all of them!

Amazing what they've done improving this game this year. The commentary has been expanded and I'm really enjoying that paired up with all the on ice talk.

I need to play it more.. as I will most of the night, but I'm so happy right now, I feel like a little kid.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Just got my ass handed to me courtsey of the Rangers, 9-1. I was out shot 70-19. Unlike 07, I'm REALLY going to have to learn to play smart instead of hitting everything and having breakaways. You really have to make quick, smart, decisions.
- I'm getting out hit
- I'm getting out shot
- I'm getting beat on many faceoffs
- I love how the PP slows when the CPU team is in your zone and resumes accelerations when the puck is cleared
- Stat overlays are there, I've seen them.. not as much as I would like, but I've seen them
- Goalie play is so much better, no more goofy bounce off the top of his pads into the goal
- Top players HAVE to be watched, Jagr had 4 goals.. if he's left open, he's going to burn you
- Better in between stoppages as you don't always see shots on goal
I will always remember my first goal. Jay McKee a slapper!
I would suggest if you are new to the series to start on Pro and go from there. I feel like a chump on AS and I played 07 to death. Each game on AS is going to be mentally challenging for me. I have to find the other teams stars, hit smart, poke check, pass accurately, etc.. I had many penalties that would not have been penalties in 07.
In all, initial impressions are I love this game. It does so many things right in terms of real hockey.

AT LEAST RENT THIS GAME!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #129
CraigSca
Pro Starter

More impressions, please. ~kk thx la~

Where's Pumpy? Wasn't he supposed to get the game today?
how do you know?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #130
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm getting smoked on AS. I played a game on Pro and although I lost, I could at least move the puck. I can't believe I haven't won a game yet.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #131
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Just got my ass handed to me courtsey of the Rangers, 9-1. I was out shot 70-19. Unlike 07, I'm REALLY going to have to learn to play smart instead of hitting everything and having breakaways. You really have to make quick, smart, decisions.
- I'm getting out hit
- I'm getting out shot
- I'm getting beat on many faceoffs
- I love how the PP slows when the CPU team is in your zone and resumes accelerations when the puck is cleared
- Stat overlays are there, I've seen them.. not as much as I would like, but I've seen them
- Goalie play is so much better, no more goofy bounce off the top of his pads into the goal
- Top players HAVE to be watched, Jagr had 4 goals.. if he's left open, he's going to burn you
- Better in between stoppages as you don't always see shots on goal
I will always remember my first goal. Jay McKee a slapper!
I would suggest if you are new to the series to start on Pro and go from there. I feel like a chump on AS and I played 07 to death. Each game on AS is going to be mentally challenging for me. I have to find the other teams stars, hit smart, poke check, pass accurately, etc.. I had many penalties that would not have been penalties in 07.
In all, initial impressions are I love this game. It does so many things right in terms of real hockey.

AT LEAST RENT THIS GAME!!!
I didn't play 07 very much, and my first goal wasn't a Jay McKee slapper, but count me in for just about everything else in MizzouRah's post here. The Rangers tore me up. Now, it wasn't 9-1, but they still tore me up (final score of 6-1). I played two periods of a second game against the Rangers, and I was ahead 2-1, but then I turned the game off to go to bed.

I have no idea how to win faceoffs. I can win a few, but I'm talking about only 20% or so. That's part of the reason I have trouble being effective. Another is that I have a hard time keeping my guys between the opponents and the net. Everything seems to move so fast that I end up overskating. I guess I need a lighter touch on the gamepad or something.

So far, all three of my goals have been on the power play. Now, between periods, the game keeps telling me to shoot more, and I should probably do that. I'm just more interested in taking good shots, but maybe I need to just throw the puck in front of the net more often and try for deflections or rebounds.

The game is a lot of fun, but I have plenty to learn. I never did get terribly comfortable with the skill stick last year, but I'm going to adjust to it this time around. Once I get a handle on that, I should be more competitive.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #132
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Damn it I want this game so bad. Stupid EA, why no Wii version??
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #133
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm trying it for PC and while not being next gen, i must admit it's fun, as they brough in the Skill Stick finally to the PC version.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 AM   #134
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

RBK Edge Code leaked on their website

http://rbkedgeuniform.com/

The code is: h3oyxpwksf8ibcgt

Confirmed on HFBoards that it works, I can't wait to go home tonight and use the new uni's.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #135
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I only got to play on game last night. It was fun, certainly better than the demo. I got shutout 2-0 on all-star mode so there's definitely a degree of difficulty.

Like others, I had a few goals against where the other team just took over in the offensive zone and finished off a multi-pass play with a one-timer. It was cool to see, and certainly something you didn't see in previous versions. But the whole thing felt a little forced -- it was as if my defensive players just suddenly shut down completely. Guys were standing around watching the action without even trying a poke check. I suspect that after a while we'll start to hear people complain about these sort of goals if they're too frequent.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #136
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

PT,

Turn down the game speed a notch or two.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM   #137
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
PT,

Turn down the game speed a notch or two.
I forgot to mention that I had it all the way down to 0. Dropping player acceleration a notch is my next step.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #138
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

I have to say, this might be the most FUN I've ever had with a game that took me TEN 5-min period games to finally win! Of course, I was playing on Superstar with the Blue Jackets against the Caps, 'Canes, and the Bruins.

I adjusted the settings ahead of time from how I felt on the demo. I lowered the game speed to 1 (still might be too high, I'll test it out on a couple more games before I start my dynasty), raised the aggression to 5, and lowered shot power to 1, lowered puck control to 1, among other things. I'll post my sliders later after I test a couple more things (speed, acceleration and fatigue, mostly).

It takes HARD WORK to score goals on the Superstar level, you have to be open to what the defense gives you. If there is room in the slot, attack with one-timers, but if the defense clamps down in the middle, you have to start taking some shots from the point with your defensemen. On defense, you MUST defend the slot, because they will find it everytime. Its tough to get anything going, because you make one little mistake in the offensive zone, then they have the puck and it goes the other way. If you make one little mistake in your zone, its probably in the net.

I'm going to start a dynasty as well with my Jackets and see if I can get them into the playoffs.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #139
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm steering clear of you on XBL Live TurnerONU22!!

I'm getting torched on AS.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #140
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

From MizzouBBfan's friend Bill Harris:

Quote:
NHL 08 (360)

I wrote a relatively scathing review of NHL 07 last year (which you can read here).

My primary objection was that the game essentially shipped without offensive or defensive A.I. Actually, there was offensive A.I., which I believed was coded like this:
If player in offensive zone
Then shoot

I documented just how bad the offensive A.I. was in the linked post--it averaged less than 1 pass per offensive possession (that "successfully" ended in a shot). And it wasn't that the offense was passing the puck all over and losing it (thus skewing the numbers)--a guy would skate past the blue line, pull up, and take a slapshot.

On offense, I could skate in leisurely circles around the offensive zone with very little interruption from the defense, even on Superstar difficulty.

The frame rates were also lousy, and the skating animations didn't look very good.

In spite of that, the game had its moments. Right analog stick control for shooting was a blast, and the commentary was outstanding. It was just another game in a long list of EA Sports games that had potential, but didn't get finished.

I picked up NHL 08 today, and here's an update.

--Offensive and defensive A.I. made it into the game this time. I started retesting what I did last year, but stopped after five minutes, because the problems I documented are clearly gone now. That doesn't mean the A.I. is sensational or anything, but it's significantly improved and looks serviceable.
--frame rates are silky-smooth on the 360 version. User be warned on the PS3 version, which apparently has significantly lower framerates.
--skating animations look great.

This is the best-looking sports game I've ever seen in HD.

Also, unlike NCAA, which had high framerates during the play, but frequent choppiness in-between plays (which will drive you crazy), NHL is smooth, smooth, smooth all the time.

Sliders are obviously going to need some work--I already turned game speed down to the minimum setting, and also significantly changed a few other settings.

So far, I'm very impressed.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM   #141
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

How are the framerate issues for the ps3 version? That strobe light quote doesn't exactly inspire confidence. That being said they said the same about NCAA and Madden and I'm enjoying them more then I have any other game from those respective series.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 PM   #142
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
From MizzouBBfan's friend Bill Harris:

Just a word of warning. Bill posted a similar post about NCAA Football on release, noting that initial impressions were good, but that the sliders would need a little work. We all know generally how EA threads in general have progressed over the past few years. Hopefully this one bucks the trend.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
How are the framerate issues for the ps3 version? That strobe light quote doesn't exactly inspire confidence. That being said they said the same about NCAA and Madden and I'm enjoying them more then I have any other game from those respective series.

The demos for FIFA 08 and NHL 08 are both out on the PSN. Give it a whirl.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-13-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #144
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Oh great, i'm enjoying as i never thought the PC version of NHL08, currently into my 4 game in a franchise with the Panthers and so far i'm 2-2 with one game lost in shootout and another shootout won.

If the ps3 version is this good, i'll order it today.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #145
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

It's not up on the PSN yet, but should be soon. Although it was supposed to be out yesterday so...
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #146
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

How frequent are people seeing penalties called?

I went a full game without a single call with sliders all the way up, but then again it was only one game.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #147
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:

I went a full game without a single call with sliders all the way up, but then again it was only one game.
In my 6-1 loss to the Rangers, there were about 6 or 7 penalties called, not counting a couple of fighting majors. There were another 6 penalties called in the two-period game I played right after that. Two of those six were against Scott Gomez (screw you, Gomez) and two others were against Kasparaitis.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

Pumpy, I probably won't pick up the game for another month or so. That gives you plenty of time to get your skills up, so that your veteran-ness plus your Devils will equal my novice skills plus the Rangers.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #149
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pumpy, I probably won't pick up the game for another month or so. That gives you plenty of time to get your skills up, so that your veteran-ness plus your Devils will equal my novice skills plus the Rangers.
That's it. I'm calling off our wedding.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #150
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'm seeing them pretty often, for the 5 minute games I played, about 3 penalties for each side on average. Many tripping calls when I tried to poke check, but got the legs instead, along with some boarding calls. It seemed to be improved from last year.