Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2015, 12:04 AM   #101
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Great game tonight. It helps to have an MSU grad with you when watch them come out on top. I wouldn't count the Spartans out against the other three teams - especially if Cook gets healthy.

That true freshman RB Scott is something else. He wasn't even supposed to be the starter this year.

Looks like the committee got lucky again with an easy four to pick - even easier to pick than last year.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #102
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I'm usually a Sparty fan after IU, but I was rooting for Iowa tonight. Would have been a great story to see the Hawkeyes in the playoff. Alas. Still, damn good game. And anyone over Ohio St. wins in my book.

It's like I'm looking in a mirror.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:30 AM   #103
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
They will get outcoached but the level of talent on Clemsons defense and the one dimensional bama offense leaves this game a toss up. Hard to dominate a great defense with one threat.

I just don't see Clemson being able to move the ball without Watson being highly effective. And I don't believe he can be highly effective against the Bama defense. I like the kid's game, quite a bit in fact, I just don't think he's seen anything like what he'll see.

And I believe Coker will do enough to allow Henry to be effective, especially in the second half.

I'm not expecting Bama to hang 50 or anything. I just anticipate one of those ultimately dull thorough domination things.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #104
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Looks like the committee got lucky again with an easy four to pick - even easier to pick than last year.

That's not luck, that's just college football these days. It's pretty rare that isn't the case IMO.

Would have been just as easy to pick two.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:21 AM   #105
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I just don't see Clemson being able to move the ball without Watson being highly effective. And I don't believe he can be highly effective against the Bama defense. I like the kid's game, quite a bit in fact, I just don't think he's seen anything like what he'll see.

And I believe Coker will do enough to allow Henry to be effective, especially in the second half.

I'm not expecting Bama to hang 50 or anything. I just anticipate one of those ultimately dull thorough domination things.

Jon , of the 3 teams headed to the playoffs, Bama scares me least.

Clemson will hang 35 plus on Bama.

Bama is a shell of themselves this year.

Don't forget, this Florida team they couldn't put away got SMOKED last week against FSU with Jimbo headed out the door.

The SEC is way down this year.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #106
Logan
Head Coach

That was the most unprompted and random trolling I've seen in a long time.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #107
tarcone
Coordinator

Well, I've had a much better morning. Though it was at the expense of my wife. I posted "Depressed" on my wife's facebook. I don't have an account.
Her Dad called this morning at 7 am and a bunch of people are sending messages and prayers to my wife. Yes, I am laughing. She is pretty peeved at me.

I hope the Rose picks Iowa.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #108
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm so happy today!!!!!

Didn't get to watch it until this morning!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #109
Schmidty
Coordinator

Iowa is a hell of a team. Hope you get the Rose Bowl.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #110
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

This thread was like.. Total Recoil, man.

Window licking mutant is a hilariously off the wall, ridiculous insult. It's something I would expect to hear my character yell in Fallout.

FWIW I wanted Iowa to win too, because I love those stories where a team comes out of nowhere and makes noise.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #111
MrBug708
Head Coach

McCaffrey deserves the Heisman but I don't think he gets it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #112
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Kind of agree, Mr. Bug.

To me, and obviously I am biased, Watson is the best player, McCaffrey has had the best season and Henry will win it because, 'BAMA!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:44 AM   #113
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Tarcone, how's it like to face a real team?

At first I wondered if this was kind of a friendly jabbing. Then i read the rest of your posts and realized you are a troll of the highest degree. iowa and their fans should be proud as hell. If facing a real team and losing by a FG in a hard fought contest is poor, you simply don't understand this game.

What a great night of football. McCaffrey had an amazing game against USC, the Air Force/San Diego St game is the best game nobody watched, a great couple of championship games (only marred by the horrific offside call, that ref should lose his job)

Looking forward to the playoff. Not a fan at all of MSU, Oklahoma or Alabama. I think I'll cheer for Clemson, Michigan St, Oklahoma and Alabama in that order.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #114
digamma
Torchbearer

With all of the talk yesterday of Henry breaking Herschel Walker's SEC single season rushing record, I started thinking about how to compare them. My first thought was to discount Henry immediately because his record is over 13 games and Walker's was in 11. But Walker needed 385 carries in 1981 to Henry's 339 this year.

Sort of the same thing going on with McCaffrey and Barry Sanders with the All Purpose yards record.

I think I'd argue Henry faced easier competition, getting a game against FCS and also Middle Tennessee and Louisiana Monroe. Still interesting to think about and kind of strange how similar the stats are. Henry has 97 receiving yards and Walker had 84. Henry is a total throwback.

And yes, tend to agree he might win because of Bama and all that.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #115
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
McCaffrey deserves the Heisman but I don't think he gets it

He clearly deserves the Heisman and I don't think it's that close. Just rushing, he comes close to matching Henry. 1,986 to 1,847 with Henry getting more carries. Receiving? 540 yards to 97 yards for McCaffrey. Then McCaffrey has another 1,100 yards on returns and 7 special teams tackles to boot?

Henry is a great player, but I'm going to be sick when he wins that award.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #116
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
great couple of championship games (only marred by the horrific offside call, that ref should lose his job)

Actually, it was the right call and I am not sure why the talking heads are missing the explanation that was given by the ACC last night.

offsides.jpg

NCAA rules require all KO tea members to be inside the "9 yard hash" at the time the ball is kicked. The far side outside guy "loops" inside the hash. The near side player did not and gunned right down the field outside the hash.

Look at the replay, the flag comes out immediately, well before the recovery. No controversy here.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Actually, it was the right call and I am not sure why the talking heads are missing the explanation that was given by the ACC last night.

Because controversy sells.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #118
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Attachment 5827

NCAA rules require all KO tea members to be inside the "9 yard hash" at the time the ball is kicked. The far side outside guy "loops" inside the hash. The near side player did not and gunned right down the field outside the hash.

Look at the replay, the flag comes out immediately, well before the recovery. No controversy here.

wow, learn something new everyday. very well then.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #119
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW I didnt know that either until it was said last night.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #120
MrBug708
Head Coach

Hopefully the PAC-12 will learn that 9 conference games only hurts the conference. The other conferences *cough* SEC *cough* know that it's not about playing tough teams, it's about playing the weakest schedule so that you can lose as few games as possible.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #121
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

All this anti-SEC bullshit here makes me hope Bama wins both games they play 59-0. And I really dont like posting that.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #122
MrBug708
Head Coach

Now you know how everyone else feels when we watch anything about college football
Old 12-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #123
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
All this anti-SEC bullshit here makes me hope Bama wins both games they play 59-0. And I really dont like posting that.

Don't worry Bama will win the NC.. as much as I don't want that to happen.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #124
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

FWIW, this isn't the explanation that the ACC coordinator of officials gave. His quote last night was that an official saw a UNC player break the plane.

My guess is he said that before discussing with the full crew, but that quote was out there and in a lot of the recounts of the game.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #125
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Hopefully the PAC-12 will learn that 9 conference games only hurts the conference. The other conferences *cough* SEC *cough* know that it's not about playing tough teams, it's about playing the weakest schedule so that you can lose as few games as possible.

I actually admit the SEC East wasn't good. I think the SEC West was pretty tough. Just googling on some strength of schedule ranking and you'll see the Arkansas (and AL) were ranked pretty high up there.

As always, I would never bet against Saban and AL. They've got a fair shot to beat any team on any given day.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs ... how the heck did it take us so long to get them.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #126
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just realized that Sak _could have been_ the one to throw that offsides flag, and I really hope he wasn't.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Just realized that Sak _could have been_ the one to throw that offsides flag, and I really hope he wasn't.

Per his FB, it does not appear to me that Sak worked that game, so he's good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #128
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Now you know how everyone else feels when we watch anything about college football

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I just dont get the venom. Whether anyone wants to admit it, the SEC has been pretty damn good the past few seasons. This year, it is waaay down and the Bama team going, while excellent defensively, has serious offense concerns. Frankly, any of the 4 can win this thing, depending on matchups. OU is the weakest of the bunch, IMO.

Personally, I think Sparty is the most dangerous team in the final 4.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:57 PM   #129
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I just dont get the venom.

Really? If you could watch a weekend of college football as a non-SEC fan you'd understand. ESPN crams the SEC down everyone's throats because they've put so much money into it.

Non-SEC top 10 team loses it's because the conference just isn't as good as we thought.

SEC Top 10 team loses it's because the SEC is so strong top to bottom.

They've taken the same thing they've done with the ACC and Duke in basketball and applied it to the SEC.

Fans have been turning against the SEC because the rhetoric is getting old and people are tired of being told how their conference is inferior to the SEC on a weekly basis.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #130
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not just ESPN.

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-.../view?id=42760
Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #131
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa to the Rose Bowl.

Good stuff. Im happy that is the consolation prize. Very happy.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #132
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I feel the same way. That is despite having to live in an area with a high population of Gator fans, a brother in law who is a obnoxious Bama fan and have worked with a guy who came into the office every day for six years screaming "WAR EAGLE!"
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #133
miami_fan
Coordinator

That being said I get it, they have won too much and their fan bases are irritating.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #134
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
FWIW, this isn't the explanation that the ACC coordinator of officials gave. His quote last night was that an official saw a UNC player break the plane.

My guess is he said that before discussing with the full crew, but that quote was out there and in a lot of the recounts of the game.

Here is the ACC's official statement:

“The 35-yard line is treated as a plane and if any part of a player breaks that plane before the ball is kicked it’s offsides. The officials saw a member of the kicking team break the plane before the ball was kicked.”
Old 12-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #135
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post

Thanks man...it wasn't me. As a rookie I won't be doing that level of a game (or bowl game) this season. But I did work a playoff game last week and work one this week.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:57 PM   #136
britrock88
Pro Starter

My only other Carolina gripe will be this: at #10 (thanks for keeping us put, committee), I understand how the chips fell and why we're the first team out of the New Year's Six. But the fallback is the Russell Athletic Bowl? srsly?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #137
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

That's on the ACC.
Though I must admit when Clemson played in it last year it was a good time and well organized.

The years where the Peach is a NY6 the Russel Athletic bowl is the ACC #1 tie in. You can still call in the Tangerine Bowl if it feels better, we did.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #138
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Don't worry Bama will win the NC.. as much as I don't want that to happen.

It's ok, guys. It only took a few years for A&M and Mizzou fans to join the "SEC!" fans for real, so we don't really blame YOU.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #139
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Lots of Michigan State love all of a sudden and well I am not real sure why.

Michigan State early in the season was scoring points without any real issues but couldnt stop anyone. Later in the season their defense came around but the offense lost its rhythm. Yes, the Ohio State and Iowa wins were impressive in that they had to crawl, fight, and scratch to get them wins. I think we were all kind of expecting Ohio State to fall as they just werent playing well and winning a lot of games without playing their best ball. I dont want to take anything away from Iowa's magical season but despite being undefeated they were still ranked around 20-30th in the computer rankings.

My odds would look something like this
Alabama +150
Clemson +200
Oklahoma +350
Michigan State +900

I also see Clemson is 4 point underdogs in their game against Oklahoma. Kind of surprising line IMO.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-07-2015 at 07:15 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #140
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Don't worry Bama will win the NC

And I'm actually not at all sure about that.

I don't like an Oklahoma matchup for them on just a week's preparation.
And I rate OU-Clemson a completely wide open toss up.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's on the ACC.
Though I must admit when Clemson played in it last year it was a good time and well organized.

The years where the Peach is a NY6 the Russel Athletic bowl is the ACC #1 tie in. You can still call in the Tangerine Bowl if it feels better, we did.

But it's not THE Tangerine Bowl. That's the Citrus

This is the old Blockbuster (later CarQuest) Bowl.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #142
Butter
Coordinator

Oklahoma - Clemson has both teams looking for motivation...

Oklahoma has it in losing 40-6 in the bowl game last year, albeit to a much better Clemson defense.

Clemson has it in Oklahoma opening as a 3 point favorite.

Also find the Alabama love very interesting. This is a team that lost to the highest ranked team it played in convincing fashion. All of the other teams in the playoff have at least 3 wins over teams ranked in the top-20. 'Bama has 2, over #19 and #20.

'Bama is getting a good matchup in the first round, but they are going to struggle against whichever team they play in the final, if they can even make it past Michigan State. But I think Michigan State will be able to hold that offense to 10 points or less. Henry is a good back, but I also might be able to get 100 yards behind their offensive line if you gave me 45 carries a game.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #143
Kodos
Resident Alien

And in the battle of unlikeables, we have Ohio State vs. Notre Dame. Who to root against more?!? Gotta give the edge to the Golden Domes.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #144
Butter
Coordinator

Was trying to remember the last time the Fiesta Bowl was on during the daytime. Scheduled for a 1 PM eastern start, which will be 11 AM local time.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #145
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Was trying to remember the last time the Fiesta Bowl was on during the daytime. Scheduled for a 1 PM eastern start, which will be 11 AM local time.

Per Wikipedia ... last year was a 4pm eastern start
Old 12-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #146
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That being said I get it, they have won too much and their fan bases are irritating.

This is the gist of it...no matter what perspective you start from. I dont like the PAC and their annoying fans when they are winning either.

Last edited by Dutch : 12-07-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #147
tarcone
Coordinator

Michigan State has a beast of an offensive line. They will wear Alabama down. And MSU has a very good defensive line.
They will beat Alabama.

I predict Clemson Vs. Michigan St. in the final.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:48 AM   #148
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Per Wikipedia ... last year was a 4pm eastern start

Before last year then, because I didn't watch it last year.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #149
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Michigan State has a beast of an offensive line. They will wear Alabama down. And MSU has a very good defensive line.
They will beat Alabama.

I predict Clemson Vs. Michigan St. in the final.

That is what makes the Bama MSU game interesting.
Bama's greatest strength is their depth of D linemen. They are legitimately 7 or 8 deep for 3 positions. Hard to wear that many down.

Bama is built to stop the run/pro offense. (See LSU; every year) Want to beat Bama? Spread them out and make those big run stuffing LB-ers play coverage against slots and scat backs.

Also cant help but think Smart and UGA is somewhat a distraction for them.

On the other side...Clemson-Oklahoma.

Man everyone knows where my allegiances lie but Im just not sure on this one.
Clemson is tired and the time off will help a lot. Not only do they have the longest win streak in the country they have also played the most consecutive weeks in the country (11 after the early season bye) . Now they get to rest, finally.

But there is some turbulence inside the locker room. Dabo is always positive, the most positive guy Ive ever known. It wears on players though. Plus a surprising number of Juniors are looking at the NFL. A Lot that shouldnt be. Can they focus for 2 more games?
Old 12-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #150
miami_fan
Coordinator

Umm... there are 40 bowl games? Really? They can't be all profitable can they?