Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #101
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Try the Team Report (this is a pretty cool new feature). On your Player - Selection page (with the list of players), in the bottom left, there is a little list things you can do. One of them is to have one of your coaches pick your team, another is Get Team Report. This thing generates a first XI and a second XI, gives an indication as to the strength of each player in that position, and at the top, your assistant gives their thoughts on where the team needs strenghening. Give it a try!

okay, I may be etiher really tired, blind, or very stupid, but I can't find the team reports... where are they?

At the bottom left of my selection screen, I have 4 choices: Release comment, clear selection, ask to pick, team selections, but no "Get team report" choices...

I'm coaching Luton Town, if that matters at all...

FM
Old 09-24-2004, 08:36 PM   #102
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Im having issues with a possible bug- took over Villa, about to play my first friendly, but none of the players show when I ask my Assistant Manager to select a team- more so, I cant seem to get anyone to show up. the reserve team players show up, as do the under 18's, but none of the first team- its just blank.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:50 PM   #103
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
okay, I may be etiher really tired, blind, or very stupid, but I can't find the team reports... where are they?

At the bottom left of my selection screen, I have 4 choices: Release comment, clear selection, ask to pick, team selections, but no "Get team report" choices...

I'm coaching Luton Town, if that matters at all...

FM

Do you have an AM? It is the AM that gives the report, so I imagine the option would be unavailable if you didn't currently have one on your team.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:51 PM   #104
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

On my screen it is immediately above those 4 options, and there was somewhere else I found the option as well (one of the drop-down menus.)
Old 09-24-2004, 09:29 PM   #105
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Do you have an AM? It is the AM that gives the report, so I imagine the option would be unavailable if you didn't currently have one on your team.

AHH, that may be the thing, my team has 4 coaches, but no assistant manager... I'll try signing one to see if that changes anything... Thanks for the hint doc.

FM
Old 09-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #106
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, this may quite be what it was, since I started a new game with a team in the Premiership, with an AM and there it was, the "get team report"... Thanks doc!

FM
Old 09-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #107
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Just how good his opinion is though, FrogMan is a bit debateable.

My coach tells me that I need to bring in strikers. This is my striking lineup:

Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Saha, Smith and Solskjaer (and he's not injured)

I need strikers?

He also rates this player a one star:

First touch 20
Technique 20
Off the ball 19
Dribbling 19
Flair 18
Anticipation 17
Teamwork 16
Passing 15

This player is a one star player?

Is this telling me that Queiroz is a lousy coach?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:43 PM   #108
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard

hehe, this I can understand

I was just anxious to see that team report everyone was talking about, but that was nowhere to be found on my little Luton Town team, hehe. Now I know I need an assistant manager. Funny thing is that in CM4, Luton had an assistant manager...

FM
Old 09-24-2004, 10:52 PM   #109
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard

My coach tells me that I need to bring in strikers. This is my striking lineup:

Van Nistelrooy, Rooney, Saha, Smith and Solskjaer (and he's not injured)

I need strikers?

He also rates this player a one star:

First touch 20
Technique 20
Off the ball 19
Dribbling 19
Flair 18
Anticipation 17
Teamwork 16
Passing 15

This player is a one star player?

Is this telling me that Queiroz is a lousy coach?

First touch?

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #110
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
First touch?

CR

Yeah, with the ball and off the ball. First touch.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I haven't looked around too much yet, but I really wish a manual would be available for print.. or is there one I'm missing?

I'm overwhelmed right now and over my head.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 11:18 PM   #112
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

That's what I mean, what is the game's term for it, because first touch doesn't ring a bell.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:31 PM   #113
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's what I mean, what is the game's term for it, because first touch doesn't ring a bell.

CR

First touch is a rating category in FM. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing it in previous editions, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 PM   #114
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm...I haven't gotten intot he demo yet. Guess I'll have to check that out. I don't have a clue what it is.

It most definitely has not been in the past three versions of CM (which are the ones I have owned).

CR

Old 09-24-2004, 11:40 PM   #115
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Hmmm...I haven't gotten intot he demo yet. Guess I'll have to check that out. I don't have a clue what it is.

It most definitely has not been in the past three versions of CM (which are the ones I have owned).

CR

Stupid Americans. We don't know anything. I think first touch is sort of like how well a player controls the ball immediately after receiving a pass, ie his "vision" while maintaining control. I may be way off base here, too. All I know is that EA says "a great player has a great first touch." Haha, too much FIFA demo. Oh well, I'm still learning...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 PM   #116
samifan24
Pro Starter

dola-

Actually, since I'm learning, a question for those of you with the FM demo. I'm playing as tiny York City when I get a message that a Div. II club has gone bankrupt. Then I see that the team has been docked 10 league points for "going into administration." Does this really mean that if you drive your team's finances into the ground, you'll really have to pay for it? If so, awesome.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:43 PM   #117
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
dola, this may quite be what it was, since I started a new game with a team in the Premiership, with an AM and there it was, the "get team report"... Thanks doc!

FM

Glad to help

Mac, I'm also playing Man U in the demo, and I've found Queiroz to have some questionable judgement calls too. For example, he thinks Solskjaer is a 1* player despite mostly very nice attribute ratings. Overall, I love the new team report despite the potentially quesitonable judgement of my AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 PM   #118
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've never seen First Touch in previous versions, but I suspect it might have been a hidden rating in past versions. However, I don't know this as I've never used editors or cheat programs.

There are several new ratings in the beta demo. I don't see set pieces anymore, however there is now seperate ratings for corner kicks, free kicks, and maybe something else new. I think that is a nice addition.

As I already mentioned, I really wish I didn't play this demo cause now I'm going to be counting down the days to release. Least I can play around with some tactics.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 PM   #119
Lucky Jim
Mascot

First touch was a hidden rating in past versions, kind of inexplicably really because if you know how well a player dribbles or shoots you probably have a pretty good idea how well he controls receiving passes as well. Same with corners and free kicks, were hidden before, now thankfully out in the open. I'm really impressed with the demo. The 2d seems a lot slicker to me, and more true to life. The ball seems more like an actual ball and has less of the beach ball effect that seems to plague almost any game's physics model, deflections seem sharp and realistic, it just looks better. I also like the way goals are being scored from what I've seen. There are a lot more quick passes and nice off the ball movement to set up opportunities, nice layoffs for players in space, and a lot less of the I'm a defender running away from the ball type stuff. Room for improvement still, and speed will probably be an inevitable issue, but I can already see that the wait for November is going to be tortuous. Good stuff.
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:05 AM   #120
Desnudo
Coordinator

It would still be nice to see the height of the player.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:10 AM   #121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Does it matter, though, if you know heading and jumping? I have never felt I missed anything not knowing a player's actual height or weight myself.

CR

Old 09-25-2004, 12:36 AM   #122
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Ive been having a blast - been playing it for hours. I cant wait 2 months Marc, damnit release it now!!!!
Old 09-25-2004, 01:30 AM   #123
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

"First touch" refers to a player's ability to control the ball as he receives a pass. He will want to control the ball and prepare for a pass, cross, shot or a dribble with just one touch of the ball. If he has to take two or three touches before it's under control then it's much easier for an opposition player to tackle him.

Beckham is a classic case of a player with excellent "first touch". Not only will he control the ball with one touch but place it in position for one of his perfect passes/crosses all with the same touch. Just watch him. Not only will he kill the ball stone dead but shift it a yard or so away from him so that with one stride he can hit his pass/cross. It's this, as much as his accuracy of pass, that makes him so effective.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-25-2004 at 01:36 AM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:14 AM   #124
BreizhManu
College Benchwarmer

Funny, I'm still listed as a head researcher in the demo , but I guess this are the same credits as in CM03-04 so it's going to change for the release of the game since I didn't do anything this year (just a few scouting for Rennes).
BreizhManu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:18 AM   #125
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Most interesting goal I've seen so far has occurred playing with Newcastle in a friendly against Wolfsburg. The ball sails over the Wolfsburg defenders' heads after they had moved towards the halfway line. The Wolfsburg keeper comes well out of the box in order to kick the ball back up field, but Kluivert is steaming in to pressure him. The keeper's kick deflects off Kluivert and rebounds forty yards behind the keeper back towards his own net as he struggles to hopelessly get the ball. Too late; the mistake has been made. The ball trickles over the line and Kluivert claims the goal. Great stuff.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:29 AM   #126
KWhit
Coordinator

So far, I love what I see. But this is my first time playing this game (any soccer sim, actually), so I am pretty clueless/overwhelmed. Where's a good place to start as far as tips/manual/help, etc?

I tried to SI forums (briefly), but most all the posts there are over my head. I know very little about how transfers work, when they can happen, the ratings system, how clubs are divided into divisions, etc.

Basically, I'm a newbie to the sport (in other words, a typical guy from the US). But I've heard such good things about the game that I want to learn and give it a try.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #127
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

You all need to stop making me drool until I can make the black screen go away.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #128
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

illini: Do you have any other /data directories? That's a cause of the blackscreen amongst other users.. let me see if I can copy a solution from the SI games boards.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #129
samifan24
Pro Starter

So I praised the manager of a club in receivership and figured that was it. Oh no, the manager returned praise for me and thanked me for sticking up for him. Then some of my veteran players were proud that I was receiving the praise I deserved. Great stuff.

Edit: The manager now thinks we can become good friends...

Last edited by samifan24 : 09-25-2004 at 10:07 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:08 AM   #130
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(Credit Joe O'Reilly at the SI Games board)

Ok – Here’s the story..

To cut a long story short, here is a normal persons explanation of what has happened. When we apply copy protection to the game it tells it where it can and cannot look for the data folder. The data folders contains the games graphics (amother other stuff) But the beta demo does not have copy protection of any kind. So it’s finding the first data folder it can find and staying there. Which is a problem if that data folder does not contain this information.

This should only affect you if you have a data folder at the bottom level of the drive you have installed the game on (c:\data for example)

To fix this problem do one of these things.

Uninstall the game. Then..

a) Rename this c:\data something else and then reinstall game to default location.

or

b) Install the game to a different drive, if you have more than one partition or hard drive (d:\fm2005 for example)

or

c) Reinstall whatever software uses or needs the c:\data directory to another drive (or install to same drive in directory, so it does not use c:\data, but uses c:\software\data)

This problem won’t affect the final game (as the final game has copy protection, that normally stops this happening.) But we’ll have code put in to check for it in future builds anyway,
Old 09-25-2004, 12:11 PM   #131
korme
Go Reds

I still love the Nickname feature.

Stupid Douchebag says he has no interest in playing for Carshalton.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #132
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Thanks foz, that worked like a charm.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:40 PM   #133
bhlloy
Coordinator

Re the assistant feature: haven't had the kind of extreme views Mac is talking about, but while testing a game out as Newcastle my assistant Carver insisted that 20 year old Stewart Taylor should be in the team as center back, despite Bramble, O'Brien and Hughes being clearly better than him in all attributes. Even after I signed Marcel Desailly and Ernest Faber, he thought Taylor should be in the team. This guy wasn't bad, probably turns into a decent player, but definitely not Premiership standard.

Thought about this for a while, and I've come to the conclusion I like it. Absolutely love it. My assistant should not tell me the best lineup full stop. He should tell me what HE thinks is the best lineup and if he thinks this Taylor kid is going to do an awesome job for me and he thinks I'm undervaluing him, that's his opinion. Who knows, I might stick Taylor in and see what happens.

For me, an assistant manager "pick team" option that picks the best team the game could possibly put out would spoil all the fun. I want another opinion, another way of picking my team based on the assistant managers style and judgement attributes that makes me stop and think about the way I am picking the team.

Or... I could be reading way too much into it and it's a bug
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #134
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
So far, I love what I see. But this is my first time playing this game (any soccer sim, actually), so I am pretty clueless/overwhelmed. Where's a good place to start as far as tips/manual/help, etc?

I tried to SI forums (briefly), but most all the posts there are over my head. I know very little about how transfers work, when they can happen, the ratings system, how clubs are divided into divisions, etc.

Basically, I'm a newbie to the sport (in other words, a typical guy from the US). But I've heard such good things about the game that I want to learn and give it a try.

I'm in the same boat.

Todd
Old 09-25-2004, 04:01 PM   #135
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Im finding that a lot of the old CM4 flaws are still there, in some shape and from- the 2d engine is not much of an improvement. Defenders and players still runaway from the ball- and the GK still kicks the ball on a goalkick to a place where their is a preponderance of opposing players. More so, the ball that just seems to lie there in the middle of the park because no one wants to get it for a good 30 seconds or so occasionaly. I love the bells and whistles in the game, but the 2d footy simulation is still bugging me.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #136
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Aadik.. I'm surprised, I'm not seeing that much of that, to be honest.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:05 PM   #137
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Okay, the goalkicks are really starting to bug me. I've seen this happen multiple times for my team and against it - the goalie kicks it down the middle when he plently of options on the wings- the opposing striker (the kick goes maybe 30-40 yards tops) heads his it on to a player, and they score. I can see this happening occasionaly- but its getting ridiculous IMO. Im hoping that this will be improved, but I dunno how much the 2d has improved in 3 years.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:08 PM   #138
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Aadik.. I'm surprised, I'm not seeing that much of that, to be honest.

SF, maybe its a small sample size. It has improved somewhat since 4 (I didnt play 02-03), but I find its still happening at least a couple of times a game.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:59 PM   #139
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ok, ready for an insane problem? Everytime I try to load, the installation starts "ATI Decoder" and wants to remove it from my system. It will not install the game. Any ideas?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:04 PM   #140
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik
SF, maybe its a small sample size. It has improved somewhat since 4 (I didnt play 02-03), but I find its still happening at least a couple of times a game.

just out of curiousity, who are you using? I'm using Ferdinand and Lucio at Man Utd and I never see this happening. What are the attributes of your defenders?
Old 09-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #141
scooter
High School Varsity

I think the 2D has improved quite a bit from 03-04. I too think it seems more realistic.

I think you are correct bhlloy, the assistant managers do seem to have their own ideas (that don't always seem "right"). Just let them run your reserve team for a while. I go back and look at the teams that he picks and am sometimes surprised. That doesn't mean he's wrong - it's just his opinion. I think the Team Report feature is nice when you first take over a team and don't know the players. It gives you an idea of where you should look for your starting XI and who may be the weak parts of your squad. It's just a guide though and as I play for a while and get to know the players myself, I find I use the report less. It's a nice addition though.

First Touch, Corners and Natural Fitness were all hidden attributes previously. They have also added Composure and Concentration. I think these are all attributes that a coach or scout would be able to see if they watched a player for long enough. I think they are nice additions as well.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 08:51 PM   #142
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
I think the 2D has improved quite a bit from 03-04. I too think it seems more realistic.

I think you are correct bhlloy, the assistant managers do seem to have their own ideas (that don't always seem "right"). Just let them run your reserve team for a while. I go back and look at the teams that he picks and am sometimes surprised. That doesn't mean he's wrong - it's just his opinion. I think the Team Report feature is nice when you first take over a team and don't know the players. It gives you an idea of where you should look for your starting XI and who may be the weak parts of your squad. It's just a guide though and as I play for a while and get to know the players myself, I find I use the report less. It's a nice addition though.

First Touch, Corners and Natural Fitness were all hidden attributes previously. They have also added Composure and Concentration. I think these are all attributes that a coach or scout would be able to see if they watched a player for long enough. I think they are nice additions as well.
I agree with everything in this post. The 2D looks much better to me (and I already liked it quite a lot before.)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-25-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #143
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I wonder if the assistant manager comments are prewritten to suit each individual squad but are not yet as up to date as the database. The Man Utd comments, for example, would make sense when Utd had only van Nistelrooy and Solskjaer but not after the recent addition of Rooney, Smith and Saha.

I did post something on this on the bug report section on SIGames but I notice it's been removed. Not sure if that's because of who I am (though they usually keep my posts there) or if it's something more sinister

Writing these reports is not as easy as it seems. The human brain deals with these sort of comparisons on a parallel basis which isn't easily converted into the linear logic of computer code. I usually stick to direct comparisons rather than speculative reports that can come out silly sometimes.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-25-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:10 PM   #144
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The game is addicting, and I still no nothing about it.

I would *love* to read an in-depth manual on the game. Once I get used to it, I might never quit playing. This is just one game where I really want to learn how to play and what all the options are for in the game. Please...

Todd
Old 09-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #145
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Todd,

I highly recommend reading one of Marc V's old tip guides. It might not teach you everything about the game, but it's a good place to start learning some basics. You can find them at various spots on the web (and in old threads on this forum.)

Also, you'll eventually want to read some league guides. I'm fairly new to this game myself, really only getting into it in the last year, but I'm sure if you post specific questions here someone will answer them. I posted quite a few when I started playing. Also, you might want to check out one of the strategy guides that is published as that gives a lot of information.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:00 PM   #146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

All I have to say is that I was playing it on and off last night and then at 3am when I was ready to go to bed I did the "just one more game" thing, and next thing I knew it was 4:30 am. And this is a BETA DEMO!!! Oh yeah, and I spent all day today wishing I was in front of my computer when I was doing housework, but have been cranking on it for 7 hours now (not solid...on and off). Definately has that addictive component, that I sort of felt CM4 was lacking a little.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #147
scooter
High School Varsity

Here's a download for the CM4 version of the guide Eaglesfan27 was talking about.

http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=view&id=163

It takes some time to get the hang of playing CM/FM. I've been playing since CM3 (about 5 years now) and when I first started it was very overwhelming. I think a good way to get into it though is with the demo. Take a team and try some things (make offers for players, loan players, try to sell some of yours, try different tactics, discipline a player). With the demo only lasting 6 months, you've got nothing to lose! That way, when the game is released, you'll be all ready to start that dynasty!
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:07 AM   #148
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
just out of curiousity, who are you using? I'm using Ferdinand and Lucio at Man Utd and I never see this happening. What are the attributes of your defenders?

Ive got Mellberg and Laursen at Villa- they clearly arent crappy defenders. Im just irritated that the AI seems to think that is the best place for a GK to kick the ball repeatedly.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #149
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thanks EF and scooter!

Off to read it now. I really want to get into this game - absolutely love the 2d matches.

Todd
Old 09-26-2004, 12:45 AM   #150
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik
Ive got Mellberg and Laursen at Villa- they clearly arent crappy defenders. Im just irritated that the AI seems to think that is the best place for a GK to kick the ball repeatedly.

I'm also irritated by my keeper kicking it to where the defense is already located. What is your keeper's kick rating? Mine is 12.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-26-2004 at 01:53 AM.