Buccaneers 1 0.69%
Titans 2 1.39%
Redskins 16 11.11%
The UFL's Orlando Fighting Trout 31 21.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #101
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If I really had to stretch, I'd say the "upside" that would convince a team to sign Vick would be one of the following:

1. You get a potentially starter-quality QB cheap enough to be a backup.

2. Your QBs suck anyway, so Vick's about as much risk/reward as going with your current QBs or signing one of the ones available via FA right now.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #102
NewIdentity
High School JV

Over at the Steelers Website, they are talking about signing Vick to a multiyear league minimum contract and then trading him next year. Assuming Vick will never be the starting QB in Pittsburgh, if he sees the field in some type of slash roll he may be worth something in the trade market.

Last edited by NewIdentity : 07-29-2009 at 01:10 PM.
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #103
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Any team that signs Vick should expect to be able to lock him up for 3 years pretty cheaply. He's not worth a one year deal, then he can spurn you in the offseason and go sign somewhere else. Assuming he rehabbed his value.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #104
Samdari
Roster Filler

I think the Steelers have the lowest need for him, but perhaps would suffer the least (local) backlash for signing him. And they are probably top 5 in entrenchment level of starting QB as well.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #105
MikeVic
Head Coach

Being a Steelers fan and a former Vick fan (and I will be again if he rehabs and stuff, and I'm rooting for that), I'd like to see him attempt a comeback with the Steelers.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #106
Khorium
n00b

Why would the Steelers want him?

At this point in his career, Vick's just another Kordell Stewart, and the Steelers already have that t-shirt...
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:57 PM   #107
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorium View Post
Why would the Steelers want him?

Whatever you feel about his passing/leadership ability, he was spectacular with the ball in his hand.

If he's willing to come in as a part time WR, part time wildcat QB, #3 QB he could be great.

The Wildcat was successful last year in limited doses, so much so that most teams are reported to be implementing some variant of it this year. Who would be better running it than Vick? He's a WAY better runner than any other QB in the league. He's a WAY better passer than any RB in the league. It was designed for him.

And while he would not be as effective at getting open as, say, Wes Welker, if he could catch a simple slant, I am dying to see him run after the catch.

If he runs 10 plays a game in the wildcat, and 10 plays a game in the slot, he'd help a team. Imagine if you run him out onto the field with Roethlisberger, how does the defense line up? Expecting a pass play with Ben at QB, or to defend Vick. Its a nightmare.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #108
molson
General Manager

Interesting to see the Patriots right behind the Steelers in the betting odds. I guess it makes sense in some levels - they've embraced lesser reclamation projects in the past (albeit attitude stuff, not criminal), established QB, completely untested backup QBs, and a head coach that likes to be creative and mix things up (though usually on defense as opposed to offense).

It's pretty impossible to see Robert Kraft pulling the trigger though. I remember him refusing to sign Christian Peter even after the team already drafted him, once the women beating came to light. And Massachusetts is very liberal state with an intense media - things would just be out of control.

And if they did ever sign him, I don't know if I could ignore the team, but I would definitely root against Vick individually. It would pretty much ruin any success they had for me if he had a significant part in it.

Last edited by molson : 07-29-2009 at 03:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #109
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wouldn't Cleveland be the most logical place for him to sign? I mean, they've already got the Dog Pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Heh...somebody picked the Colts.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #110
NewIdentity
High School JV

I am now 100% convinced that Vick and his agent are looking for a 4-5 year deal worth between 25-30 million.

Now that Vick has turned down a 1 year deal for $1.5 million from the UFL.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
I am now 100% convinced that Vick and his agent are looking for a 4-5 year deal worth between 25-30 million.

you can't really believe that.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #112
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the Packers are kicking the tires on Vick... From a pure football standpoint, sure, but after the Favre crap last year I don't think I can handle more drama for another season.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #113
molson
General Manager

So is Vick better off getting $1.5 million from the UFL where he can start and showcase whatever he skills he has left, or that multi-year minimum-salary contract that the steelers fans think he'll sign for, where he'll sit on the bench? Reports and theories seem to be all over the place regarding what teams are willing to pay.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #114
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

2 year, minimum, incentive laden backup contract. Gotta get past the reinstatement and all the PR crap that will go with it and being in the UFL won't allow that to happen because it isn't the NFL. After that, the signing team can trade him to another team that can give him a little longer contract or cut him.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #115
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Titans will. We tend to like scrambling quarterbacks, and wouldn't be surprised if we gave him a shot as our no. 3 as he worked his way back into things. But that's assuming another team doesn't give him a chance to compete as a starter.
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #116
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Vick seems to have an overinflated view of his value, but I've been wrong before....
Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #117
NewIdentity
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMaestro View Post
Titans will. We tend to like scrambling quarterbacks, and wouldn't be surprised if we gave him a shot as our no. 3 as he worked his way back into things. But that's assuming another team doesn't give him a chance to compete as a starter.
LOL I just heard the Titans have a self proclaimed guaranteed Hall of Fame QB sitting on the bench right now.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #118
boberot
High School Varsity

I think he should go to the UFL. The hellfury of bad PR that an NFL team would endure by signing him would be mitigated [presumably] in the UFL. I think those fans would be more excited to have an exciting, legitimate NFL caliber QB than they would be outraged.

Vick would have a full "season," such as it is in the UFL, to play every down and prove himself.

Then, an NFL team [again, presumably] might be more inclined to be the "second" team to give him an opportunity with a more subdued PR shitstorm to deal with.

*shrug*
Just my 2 cents.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #119
molson
General Manager

I can't see him signing for minimum salary (especially multiple years) to be a backup. He needs cash, and a chance to prove himself.

It's also hard to see him starting anywhere (at least as a QB) this season, we're already a week into training camp. The UFL makes a lot of sense if they're really offering $1.5 million. That league is only playing 6 games this year, and they'll be done by Thanksgiving. He he showed anything there, he could possibly catch on in the NFL for the rest of the season in some role.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #120
miked
College Starter

What would he have to gain playing in the UFL? That he can do well against mediocre players? If he sucks, can it be blamed on the shitty WRs he'll be throwing to? I don't see why he'd want to go to the UFL. It's like asking Mark Prior to go pitch in the Can-Am league next year (not really, but you understand the gist).
Old 08-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #121
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
What would he have to gain playing in the UFL? That he can do well against mediocre players? If he sucks, can it be blamed on the shitty WRs he'll be throwing to? I don't see why he'd want to go to the UFL. It's like asking Mark Prior to go pitch in the Can-Am league next year (not really, but you understand the gist).

Mark Prior hasn't filed bankruptcy. It's all about the $$$$, and Vick needs it.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #122
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What would he have to gain playing in the UFL?

It would give him a chance to prove that he can at least stay out of trouble for the few months that they're playing.

And that's far from a given.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #123
molson
General Manager

In the UFL, the Orlando franchise (apparently coached by Jim Haslett) might make the most sense. That would be a small, probably relatively friendly market. Though the sentimental favorite would have to be San Fransisco, coached by Dennis Green.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:47 PM   #124
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It only makes sense if his only other option is taking even less money to sit on the bench in the NFL.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #125
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Though the sentimental favorite would have to be San Fransisco, coached by Dennis Green.

Hmm, what city does that club play in?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #126
miked
College Starter

Quote:
It only makes sense if his only other option is taking even less money to sit on the bench in the NFL.

I think he'd be better served sitting the bench in the NFL, from a development standpoint. Playing for failed coaches in a league with subpar talent won't do much for him. At least if he's riding the pine in SF or GB, he will get to practice against NFL defenses, he can get some preseason playing time possibly, and the chance to get real playing time should the starter go down. There's much more upside to riding the pine, even at league minimum, than starting for a JV team.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #127
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think multiple minimum salary years. But if you're taking the chance on the dude, you should at least get the upside of being able to flip him in a year. And not have to franchise him for that to happen.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #128
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on a 2-year deal in the low millions with much of it incentive-laden for a team with a currently shaky commitment to their starting QB. The premise being that if he can win the job (or if it falls to him by accident) and he plays well, he'll immediately parlay this into a big extension or a fatter contract elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #129
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i hope he gets hit by a bus
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #130
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Am I the only person who noticed that the traffic signal in the background makes it look like the guy is wearing a clown nose?

Was this in ATL?
Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #131
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIdentity View Post
LOL I just heard the Titans have a self proclaimed guaranteed Hall of Fame QB sitting on the bench right now.

I can almost guarantee that this is VY's last chance to show something. If not, he's too expensive too keep around, and us Titans fans (for the most part) feel as if he would have had enough time to show his worth.

That being said though, we'll have to wait and see... :P
Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #132
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Radar Online is reporting Michael Vick is going to sign with the Bills: EXCLUSIVE: Michael Vick In New York About To Sign With Buffalo Bills | RadarOnline.com
Old 08-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #133
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Radar Online is reporting Michael Vick is going to sign with the Bills: EXCLUSIVE: Michael Vick In New York About To Sign With Buffalo Bills | RadarOnline.com

And the Bills are still denying it, but he was seen here at the Cheesecake Factory eating and made comments about being here to see the Bills...

We will see.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #134
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Vick and Owens on the same team... That just screams for disaster.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #135
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I can't see him signing for minimum salary (especially multiple years) to be a backup. He needs cash, and a chance to prove himself.

It's also hard to see him starting anywhere (at least as a QB) this season, we're already a week into training camp. The UFL makes a lot of sense if they're really offering $1.5 million. That league is only playing 6 games this year, and they'll be done by Thanksgiving. He he showed anything there, he could possibly catch on in the NFL for the rest of the season in some role.

By Thanksgiving, though, how much more 'season' would be left for him, especially after the suspension ran its course?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #136
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
And the Bills are still denying it, but he was seen here at the Cheesecake Factory eating and made comments about being here to see the Bills...

We will see.

Schefter says Vick isn't in Buffalo.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #137
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Schefter says Vick isn't in Buffalo.

There you have it....all different media outlets saying different things...so I don't think this one is right. Meaning the Vick to Buffalo statement.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 08-13-2009 at 03:46 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #138
Logan
Head Coach

While it could still of course be true, Schefter seems to have always been the one to have a jump on everyone else.

That being said, I think his actual comment was "His deal will probably get done over the weekend, but he's not in Buffalo now" so it surely can still happen.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #139
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
While it could still of course be true, Schefter seems to have always been the one to have a jump on everyone else.

That being said, I think his actual comment was "His deal will probably get done over the weekend, but he's not in Buffalo now" so it surely can still happen.

Yeah...I don't know why they would after being so adamant on not signing him.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #140
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Vick to the Bills is a perfect fit.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #141
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yes, a perfect fit. It gives my Dolphins two chances to injure his sorry ass.

But don't worry, I doubt the Bills will hang him and electrocute him just because he's unable to play anymore.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #142
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If people liked people as much as they liked dogs, we'd be a better country as a result. But back on topic...

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-13-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #143
molson
General Manager

Quote:
If people liked people as much as they liked dogs, we'd be a better country as a result. But back on topic...

If Vick tortured and killed dozens of humans, I bet he'd get more than a six game suspension.

Though, I do like my dog more than I like Michael Vick, so maybe you have a point. My dog's definitely less violent - even to other dogs.

Last edited by molson : 08-13-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM   #144
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yes, a perfect fit. It gives my Dolphins two chances to injure his sorry ass.

But don't worry, I doubt the Bills will hang him and electrocute him just because he's unable to play anymore.

Wow. Just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #145
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

That's a pretty dumb comment. If, say, Tom Brady captured people and trained them to fight each other for over 5 years, executing the ones that weren't up to the challenge, then I would certainly support, and expect him to get, the harshest sentence possible short of the death penalty. I'm not quite advocating anything like that for Vick.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #146
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Wow. Just wow.

What's the point of posts like this? If you have something to say, then say it.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #147
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Vick is a douche

Quote:
Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #148
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What's the point of posts like this? If you have something to say, then say it.

Just surprised me is all.

Quote:
Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #149
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
If Vick tortured and killed dozens of humans, I bet he'd get more than a six game suspension.

Though, I do like my dog more than I like Michael Vick, so maybe you have a point. My dog's definitely less violent - even to other dogs.

+1

Old 08-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #150
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can we just keep Vick the football player and Vick the criminal separate please? I hate all this dog stuff that clogs any Vick thread up. I'm interested in him as a football player, and I have to come in here and see people throwing their arms up on both sides of the Vick thing (either people that think he should be tortured or people that think it wasn't so bad).
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote